Open thread: The second debate

posted at 8:38 pm on October 16, 2012 by Allahpundit

9 p.m. ET across the dial, don’t miss your chance to watch a man who “really doesn’t like people” try to relate to average voters. According to Team Mitt, all they need tonight is a tie:

“He does not need to take home the same performance” as in the first debate in Denver on Oct. 3, in which Romney was widely considered the dominant debater, the aide, who is involved in the debate preparation, told National Journal on Tuesday. He said that the Romney team is preparing for a fierce attack from Obama on all fronts even though a town-hall format generally requires candidates to address questioners from the audience more than they do each other.

“They can’t afford another debate where they don’t lash out,” said the aide, who would speak only on condition of anonymity about internal debate preparations. “So we’re ready for it: the ‘47 percent’ comment, Bain Capital, the Cayman Islands” tax shelters, all of which have been staples of the Obama ad campaign in recent months…

The Romney team doesn’t expect foreign policy to dominate this debate, but they also hope to raise fresh questions over the Sept. 11 death of Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans in Libya by focusing on what they consider a misstatement by Vice President Joe Biden in his Oct. 11 debate with Rep. Paul Ryan, the aide said.

Benghazi is one obvious line of attack. Another, I hope, is Mitt trying to pin Obama down on what exactly he intends to do with a second term. For all of the Democrats’ cutesy-poo gimmicks about Romney’s evasiveness, the incumbent’s vision for America over the next four years is conspicuously thin, much to the dismay of Democratic pollsters. As for O, he’s got two basic themes, each of them potentially problematic. One: He’ll dismiss Romney’s messaging at the first debate as evidence that he’s a flip-flopper, although that’ll undercut Team Obama’s months-long messaging about what a committed neo-Goldwater ideological fanatic Mitt supposedly is. Two: He’ll go after Romney on Bain and the “47 percent,” although if he’s too nasty about it he’ll risk leaving the sort of jackhole impression that Biden left after the VP debate. Biden could get away with that because he’s Biden, because he was playing to his base, and because ultimately no one really cares what happens at the VP debate. Obama, who’s been banking on a vanishing “likeability gap” with Romney to put him over the top, really can’t. There’s very little left of Hopenchange circa 2008 as it is; if he loses his above-the-fray Bambi image too, then there’s basically nothing.

Having said that, I think there’s virtually nothing O could do onstage tonight short of barfing on someone that’ll get the left to admit afterward that he did poorly. They desperately need him to have a good performance to remain viable, and thus the narrative will make it so tomorrow even if Obama doesn’t make it so tonight. His problem is that, even with that media cushion, it’s unlikely that Romney will falter, which is really what O needs to reverse the momentum here. The only thing I can think of that might potentially get hairy for Romney is if he’s put on the spot by a questioner who’s either extremely confrontational or somehow deeply sympathetic — a “YouTube moment,” in other words. Romney can handle himself against O, but the crux of the Dems’ message against him has always been that he’s some sort of enemy of the working man. If they get a moment like that tonight, of some audience member being accusatory with Romney, that could get traction. All depends upon how he handles it, of course.

Here’s the Hot Air/Townhall Twitter widget for live-tweeting. While we wait, revisit four of Obama’s emptiest campaign promises from the last townhall debate he did in 2008, as there are bound to be a few more tonight. And bear in mind that no matter how well he does, his campaign’s still facing one last jobs report before election day — and all signs point to something not so hope-y change-y. Exit quotation from Democratic pollster Stan Greenberg: “The danger for Obama is that Romney would become the candidate of change.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 48 49 50 51

Anti-Control on October 17, 2012 at 12:17 AM

It is a term applied to me quite often. I find it touching.

Cindy Munford on October 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Now that he slightly won the second well see how many blue leaning independents come home.

Ric on October 17, 2012 at 12:16 AM

He won nothing and he lied about the “rose garden”, blatently, in front of the world. Plus his 18 “small business tax cuts”. He pulled those out of his azz.

It ain’t over no matter what the numbers tell. Benghazi has only been told 20%. You won’t like his chances.

Schadenfreude on October 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Well, lots of interesting tidbits coming out after this debate:

UPDATE: Because probably few people who supported McCain in 2008 are undecided today, Gallup had a problem coming up with unbiased undecideds. Indeed, CNN admitted that almost all of the audience had voted for Obama in 2008.

PolAgnostic on October 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM

You Tube of Lutnz focus group.

James Moriarty on October 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM

1-1 I say get ready for fireworks during the 3rd debate.

Politricks on October 17, 2012 at 12:17 AM

That will be my most favorite one of them all. Crowly destroyed Obama on Benghazi, unintentionally.

Schadenfreude on October 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Where on earth do theșe trolls keep coming from. I mean to come on this thread to just declare that you’re not voting for either candidate, what an utter idiocy. Why bother then communicate it, and who the heck cares anyways. Disgusting attention seeking mobys..

jimver on October 17, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I can’t stand Obama, but I want everybody to know here now and tonight that I’m not voting for Gary Johnson. I’m also not voting for Jill Stein.

Everybody bow in awe of my wonderfully intelligent and edgy post.

Gingotts on October 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM

PolAgnostic on October 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I just read that, how convenient.

Cindy Munford on October 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM

That Luntz focus is super old, and white. And foul language?

libfreeordie on October 16, 2012 at 11:13 PM

And guess what? Still the majority in this country.

SouthernGent on October 16, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Now, now. Take it kinda easy on poor lil liveasaslaveanddie.

His soul was wounded…and he’s still suffering.

Solaratov on October 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM

It is a term applied to me quite often. I find it touching.

Cindy Munford on October 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM

haha as you should! :)

Anti-Control on October 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM

The only thing new I heard from Obama tonight was that he called the terrorist attack in Benghazi a terrorist attack. Everything else, same old same old. Pathetic, really.

ktrich on October 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Ric on October 17, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Do you call that a win? Romney crushed him in the first debate, I’ve yet to hear anybody saying the same about 0′s performance tonight.

jimver on October 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I can’t believe Republican pundits have Benghazi upside down

Obama has dug himself an awful hole by acknowledging that he stated on 9/12 that the Benghazi was an act of terror. Let him explain why he then claimed for the next 2 weeks that it was not an act of terror.

Basilsbest on October 17, 2012 at 12:07 AM

So what’s this whole thing with romney not doing so well on Benghazi. I didn’t see the debate but I lurked here and from the comments it looked like he was scoring good points (well maybe with the exception orf one or two who said that he stammered a little) . I can’t see how he could have gotten Benghazi wrong.

jimver on October 17, 2012 at 12:13 AM

He didn’t. But hardly anyone seems to realize that Obama stating on 9/12 that it was a terrorist attack – as he knew it was even at that early stage is much more devastating since he then said for the next 2 weeks that it was due to a video. R pundits seem fixated on the fact Obama claimed the attack was due to a video when the fact he initially acknowledged it was an act of terror is even more devastating.

Basilsbest on October 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Gingotts on October 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Good job, I read that she got arrested at the debate this evening. Isn’t Roseanne Barr her VP or is it Cindy Sheehan?

Cindy Munford on October 17, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I think all this parsing over words in a garden looks bag and I don’t think Romney will bring it up again. In the focus group EVERYONE thought it was a bad idea for him to keep pressing Obama on it after Obama had already said he takes the blame and he’s grieved with the families. I think it’s tacky to keep bringing it up. Terror acts are going to happen no matter who the president is and if Americans forgave bush for lying about wmds mad getting thousands of Americans killed no some but the hyper partisan will keep trying to hit Obama with this after tonight.

Politricks on October 17, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Now, now. Take it kinda easy on poor lil liveasaslaveanddie.

His soul was wounded…and he’s still suffering.

Solaratov on October 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM

He/she’s all butthurt that no one on Luntz’s panel obviously had the ghey. Maybe next time Luntz should make sure at least one person on the panel is obviously fabulous.

slickwillie2001 on October 17, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Prezzy did better, no ums or ers, but the lies were flowing.

Kissmygrits on October 16, 2012 at 11:01 PM

So in other words B.0. knew all of the questions beforehand.

tbear44 on October 17, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Basilsbest on October 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM

This dominates the news cycle another 2 weeks as it drips and strips and especially with the 3 debate on foreign policy

Conservative4ev on October 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM

And the winner is…………………

The Media !

Whom get to keep Hopey- who voted for ” you didn’t build that” before he voted against it tonite with his fawning over how he now LOVES CAPITALISM-

They get to keep shilling for the Tingly one in their little world of make believe media.

Its time for – “Mr. president – you have not been honest with the American People”

FlaMurph on October 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM

You know, I’m not sure who is running HP’s marketing campaign for their new “JetPrint Pro” printer, but the lyrics in the ad sings,

“It’s not what you do, It’s the Way that you do It”.

If that’s not a subliminal message to Barry’s drones I don’t what is.

Go HP, GO!
ALL Style, ZERO Substance.

OkieDoc on October 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Politricks on October 17, 2012 at 12:25 AM

WTH have you been smoking? you seriously think that we should ignore the cover up and the wrongful deaths of an American ambassador and his staff because it would be rude ? And believe me State knew there was a problem and they denied extra security that makes it a preventable death so um…no i wont let it go and no one should

katee bayer on October 17, 2012 at 12:28 AM

jimver on October 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM

except for poked gumpy

Animal60 on October 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM

From what I have been hearing is Romney hit a grand slam on the economy. That is the defining issue this election, he totally owned Obama on the economy. That’s the winner

Conservative4ev on October 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Wow almost 5000 posts. Cool.

txmomof6 on October 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Politricks on October 17, 2012 at 12:25 AM

…can’t they send us better trolls that aren’t drunk all the time?

KOOLAID2 on October 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Heh

Controversy over Obama’s Rose Garden fib, and Candy’s Rose Garden fib took the spotlight off of Hillary’s Libya fib

Candy better find a bucket to hide under, because she interposed herself into the debate trying to help take down Romney, and landed the WH in quicksand

heh

Hillary must be laughing. because Obama had stuck her with the bag, and now she is out of it again

Here is a lesson kids, let the big boys fight their own fights. For one moment Candy Bar thought she was smarter than her BFF and handed him some rope

tsk tsk

entagor on October 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM

ktrich on October 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I guess it is a step forward, I was unaware that he was capable of saying the word terrorist. I thought maybe he thought terrorists are like unicorns.

Cindy Munford on October 17, 2012 at 12:30 AM

really tired of being on the losing side. Seriously, the Ds always seem to win the elections I’m around for. I’ve never gotten to experience a landslide. :( I was two in 1984 and my fav. election was 2004 which really upset me with the bad exit polls.

Illinidiva on October 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM

And, if you keep your whiney butt glued to the couch and don’t bother to vote….you won’t get to be a part of the landslide that is coming.
Then you can sit there and just keep sniveling that you “never got to experience a landslide”.
And someday, someone might actually feel sorry for you.
Get off your azz and vote! Or at least shut up and stay out of the way.

Solaratov on October 17, 2012 at 12:30 AM

jimver on October 17, 2012 at 12:13 AM

He didn’t get it wrong. Moderator’s instant factcheck was wrong. Hannity played the rose garden speech and will discuss in detail tomorrow. Obama stepped right into a pile tonight.

Jocundus on October 17, 2012 at 12:31 AM

OH! I forgot to pass this on. Something I heard on the John Bachelor show on WMAL radio right after the debate. The Intelligence Community is…for lack of a better word…PISSED at Obama. One of John’s regular guests said he is getting emails from an IC insider who is turning whistle blower and is going to start leaking “real time emails” that were going around AS the attack was happening. The guest said that these professionals…not political folks…but professional intelligence folks are ticked off that Obama tossed them under the bus the way he did and are not going to stand for it. That made me CHEER in the car on the way home. Bring on the last foreign policy debate!!!

Highlar on October 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Illinidiva on October 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I guess moving is out of the question?

Cindy Munford on October 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Agreed. And I’m sure he didnt score any points with our border patrol agents either.
kcd on October 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Where did he score any points with any non-Obama loving group? Even when he was lying he came off as bitter and therefore untrustworthy. He continued his slide down the polls with this. I think the only difference between this debate and the last one is he hesitated to give his whoppers in the first and was left with nothing. I don’t see that even if you don’t know all the facts his forceful BS came off Presidential or convincing. Romney looked like a guy with nothing to hide and people want that who are trying to figure out what to do.

Conan on October 17, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Illinidiva on October 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM

And someday, someone might actually feel sorry for you.
Get off your azz and vote! Or at least shut up and stay out of the way.

Solaratov on October 17, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Seconded.

And Illinidiva, on election night when Ohio is declared for Romney, we don’t want your wishy-washy butt here saying you changed your mind a third time.

hawkdriver on October 17, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Everybody bow in awe of my wonderfully intelligent and edgy post.

Gingotts on October 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Methinks he confuses HA with his pathetic FB page. that’s where usually people like this one go to get reassured by their echo chamber ‘friends’ that every banality or idiocy that they utter/post is a work of genius acnowledged in the form of a kazillion of likes :)…

jimver on October 17, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Schadenfreude on October 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM

In the 3rd debate, if Super Mitt doesn’t ask Hopey if he has made any other secret deals like the one he offered Medvedev – then I don’t know.

These guys are leaving too much on the table. Mitt should NOT have backed down on the Susan Rice deal. Ocommie jumped when he heard that. And Candy wasn’t going to allow Mitt to go there……..Can’t have prezzie caught in a lie that big.

Why the hell can’t FOX have a moderator position ?

FlaMurph on October 17, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Here’s a link to the subsequent appearance of Obama on the View, where he was given the opportunity to refer to Benghazi as an “act of terror”, but pointedly demurs. Nice try, Skippy, but those schmoozy gal-pals of yours on the View have been your undoing.

smellthecoffee on October 17, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Politricks on October 17, 2012 at 12:25 AM

You are not big on sincerity, personal responsibility, or genuine conflict resolution, are you?

This babble shows that are a manipulative control freak who is trying to shut down the conversation, much like how a person who dishonestly says “sorry” for the sole purpose of trying to avoid having to face the consequences of a mistake he’s made. Take your unproductive BS somewhere else.

Anti-Control on October 17, 2012 at 12:39 AM

entagor on October 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Yep, exactly how I saw it too.

Bmore on October 17, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Some commentators on TV are saying that Romney missed a chance to nail Obama on Benghazi.
Maybe.
But debate #3 is on foreign policy, and Obama nicely set himself up to be destroyed on that issue.
He claims that he called it a terrorist attack?
OK, so why did he send his evil minions out to push the YouTube meme?
And why did he basically push the same meme himself at his disgraceful U.N. speech?

I think that Romney should call TOTUS to the witness stand in debate #3.

justltl on October 17, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Highlar on October 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM

And Uncle Joe deserves some of the credit as well! Let’s not leave out Uncle Joe; he’ll get a complex. Can’t wait for these leaks–they will leave a major mark!

smellthecoffee on October 17, 2012 at 12:41 AM

smellthecoffee on October 17, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Sweet irony :)

kcd on October 17, 2012 at 12:42 AM

I will repost this. Isn’t anybody suspicious that Crowley would jump in and declare Obama said it in his Rose Garden speech if the Obama campaign had not tipped her off to what his Libya answer would be ahead of time?

The only thing that makes sense is the Obama campaign fed her the answer AND explained to her what the proof of it was. Seriously to answer that fast you are telling me she wasn’t prepared for him to give the Rose Garden speech answer? Obama even shouted at her to repeat it like he knows she was tipped off.

Conan on October 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM

jimver on October 17, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Jocundus on October 17, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Thanks, I was reading contradictory accounts and wanted to make sure. I guess with Candy Crowley we got two in one (pun intended) : moderator and factchecker /. coudn’t have gotten any luckier and more grateful :)

jimver on October 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Romney, should have ended by saying… “Oh, what a tangled web we weave” and shak his head at Obummer! LOL!

kcd on October 17, 2012 at 12:45 AM

smellthecoffee on October 17, 2012 at 12:41 AM

And lots of brown streaks!

Just remember all you SCOAMF administration tools – when you testify before Congress, you do so under oath and can be prosecuted for perjury if you lie.

PolAgnostic on October 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Conan on October 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I caught that too. I’m in total agreement.

kcd on October 17, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I was telling you guys what 35 people in a focus group on CNN agreed on. I know you all on this literate Obama’s guts but I don’t think a majority of America feels the same.

I don’t know what Obama did or didn’t say in the rose garden and that can debated by bloggers and pundits but I don’t think you’ll see Romney bring it to Obama again see it seems that a majority of people don’t feel that’s a fair line of attack.

http://blog.thephoenix.com/BLOGS/talkingpolitics/archive/2012/10/16/mind-the-binder.aspx looks like Romney lied about his binder full of women comment.

What a shocker. Politicians lie.

Gasp.

Politricks on October 17, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Conan on October 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I agree…she jumped on that AWFULLY fast. And not only that. She did the same thing on several of the responses I heard from Romney. She seemed always ready to jump in and cut Romney’s answers short when he was starting to make a GOOD point and tell him time to move on.

smellthecoffee on October 17, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Oh yes…can’t forget good ol’ Unca Joe! The whole Obama team is turning it into the IC’s fault. Rice did the same thing today, I heard, by saying something along the lines of “I was only repeating the assessment that was given to me by the IC.” I ask this: Where is Patreus??? Where is anyone from the CIA? There has been a substantial amount of silence from that department, that I believe is about to be blown wide open by whistle blowers.

Highlar on October 17, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Politricks

English please. By the way, got a single shred of evidence that Bush lied about WMDs? No, you don’t. And neither does anyone else on the entire planet, otherwise they would have revealed it by now.

This administration on the other hand, knew from DAY ONE that this attack had nothing to do with a protest nor a video, and it is provable.

xblade on October 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM

I just gave my whole per diem check for this week.

Money Bomb.

Let’s make this happen.

hawkdriver on October 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Conan on October 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I don’t know, I think bailing that jackazz out is second nature for the media now.

Cindy Munford on October 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM

And really can you people learn the definition of a troll? A tell is someone who comes into a thread and tries to move the thread off topic. Someone with a different opinion than you isn’t a troll

Politricks on October 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM

I accepted the reality of the first debate.
Seems none of you are able to do that here.
Your acting like desperate spin room interns.
Maybe tmrw will bring sober assessements at HA.

verbaluce on October 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM

How do you literate some’s guts?

hawkdriver on October 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM

CNN POLL POST DEBATE BREAKDOWN!!!

Romney wins strong leader over obama 48% to obama 45%

who attacked more? 49% obozo -35% Romney…

who would do a better job on the economy? 58% Romney 40% Obozo

Who would do a better job on health car? 49% Romney – 46% Obama

Who would better handle Taxes? 51% Romney 44% Obama

Who would better handle the deficit??? 59% Romney 36% Obama

Conservative4ev on October 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM

It was disgusting how the “moderator” jumped in to lie for O on Libya. But the unintended consequence is that this act will be discussed tomorrow and it keeps O’s Libya failure in the news.

thepoint on October 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Sorry for the grammar errors. Again I ask hotair for a mobile app or a m.hotair.com domain for those of us on wireless devices.

Politricks on October 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Politricks on October 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM

A tell is someone who shoots apples off your head.

hawkdriver on October 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Basilsbest on October 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Most damning. Up until tonight I wasn’t aware that he actually acknowledged it as a terrorist attack so early on. Then why pushing that video nonsense for days, doesn’t make an iota of sense, unless what they are covering up is way bigger and even more damning. He needs some serious splainin’ to do, and by this I do not mean more spinning. Good there’s another debate coming, eh :)

jimver on October 17, 2012 at 12:56 AM

I accepted the reality of the first debate.
Seems none of you are able to do that here.
Your acting like desperate spin room interns.
Maybe tmrw will bring sober assessements at HA.

verbaluce on October 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Well, you’re not doing well with the second one, Buster. Your president lied. Politricks aka libfreeordie is just conceding the president lied. But he thinks it’s okay and is drawing moral equivalency. You? You think it’s okay to lie when 4 American were killed?

hawkdriver on October 17, 2012 at 12:56 AM

I accepted the reality of the first debate.
Seems none of you are able to do that here.
Your acting like desperate spin room interns.
Maybe tmrw will bring sober assessements at HA.

Is it just me or are some of us having mini-strokes?

PolAgnostic on October 17, 2012 at 12:56 AM

thepoint on October 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

A lot of people made the point after the VP debate that the aftertaste of these is what counts. What we are likely talking about in the next days is Crowley’s wrong defense of the Libya question which is the worst subject for Obama. Having to explain to people why Crowley is wrong is explaining what the lie Obama told is all over again.

Conan on October 17, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Politricks on October 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM

A tell is someone who shoots apples off your head.

hawkdriver on October 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

That reference is probably lost on him :)

jimver on October 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Highlar on October 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM

The iCommunity will be out for blood….
Remember when Obama came into office they had investigations
into the CIA “water boarders”…..
They were trying to get the iCommunity to roll-over because
they made such a big deal about it during the 08 election….
I would not be surprised if the CIA whisks Obama off to go water board him…..

redguy on October 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM

LAST!

The War Planner on October 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Highlar on October 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Our fellow poster Solaratov predicted this very thing just a few days ago! :)

Anti-Control on October 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I accepted the reality of the first debate.
Seems none of you are able to do that here.
Your acting like desperate spin room interns.
Maybe tmrw will bring sober assessements at HA.

verbaluce on October 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM

The reality of this debate is that it is basically a tie, which does not help Obama in the slightest. I think in its entirety it will hurt Obama, because on the KEY matters that appeal to “undecided” voters now, Romney came out on top in all categories (taxes, economy, deficits, etc). Democrats who are solidly behind Obama will say he won…Republicans who are solidly behind Romney will say that he won. That’s the type of debate it was. However, much like modern polls, it is the internals that make the difference. And like those same polls, Romney wins those categories. What say you?

Highlar on October 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Last Last! ;-) Just kidding ya, you have the last!

SauerKraut537 on October 17, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Is it just me or are some of us having mini-strokes?

PolAgnostic on October 17, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Politricks is one of those passive-aggressives that was mentioned just upthread!

Anti-Control on October 17, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Obama lied on -

Oil & Gas

Equal pay for women

Libya

Job creation

Taxes

Obama said he wants more gun control -
Look at Chicago – the most strict gun laws in the country – with one of the highest murder rates
by handguns….

When they outlaw AK-47′s – only outlaws will have AK-47′s….

Just ask your drug cartel buddies where they got they AK-47′s

redguy on October 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM

jimver on October 17, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Aha, great idea! Facebook! Now there’s the answer! I’ma going to go up into the headlines and comment the same crap on every post up there. Then I’ll add up all the likes into a giant number that proves I’m a winner and e-mail it to all the guys in high school that called me a turd! That’ll show ‘em.

Gingotts on October 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I accepted the reality of the first debate.
Seems none of you are able to do that here.
Your acting like desperate spin room interns.
Maybe tmrw will bring sober assessements at HA.

verbaluce on October 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM

CNN/CBS/PPP had Obama winning by 4 average – roughly a tie

Now here’s the bad news:

CNN poll results: Romney 58-40 on economy; 51-44 taxes; 49-46 healthcare; 59-36 on deficit. Who is the stronger leader? Romney wins 49-46.

CBS News poll: 65% say Romney won on the issue of the economy. 34% say Obama won on the economy.

As far as switching votes? Tied

You needed a homerun tonight to stop the freefall. Denied

Chuck Schick on October 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Meant to include verbaluce with Politricks there, too.

Anti-Control on October 17, 2012 at 1:04 AM

jimver on October 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM

except for poked gumpy

Animal60 on October 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM

That one does not qualify as entity with a brain…

jimver on October 17, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I want an explanation how Crowley was so damn sure what Obama said in the Rose Garden if she wasn’t tipped off what explanation the President was going to give ahead of time. FACE FACTS FOLKS CROWLEY WAS TOLD WHAT OBAMA WAS GOING TO SAY IF ASKED ABOUT LIBYA!! She therefore was able to check the Rose Garden speech and declare instantly that he said it. There is no other explanation for her cocksure answer in instant! Or does she have all his speeches memorized in the last month? Please. She did it without hesitation. Check the tape. I just did.

Conan on October 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Conan has good instincts

Gives a new meaning to the phrase ‘well versed’ does it not?

The kindest explanation is, she didn’t want Libya to burden Obie during the debate, so she tried to close it out. Then there are other explanations which seem more realistic

Immediate loser was Candy the Water Carrier

entagor on October 17, 2012 at 1:04 AM

hawkdriver on October 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

That reference is probably lost on him :)

jimver on October 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM

I’m not sure he even speaks English.

hawkdriver on October 17, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Conan on October 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM

smellthecoffee on October 17, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Highlar on October 17, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Not that hard to explain really. That awkward “Please proceed Governor” may have been Obama’s “safe word” to Candy. It was basically his phone a friend and poll the audience moment rolled into one.

Jurisprudence on October 17, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Politricks

He didn’t lie.

You don’t pay attention, do you?

xblade on October 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM

How about it, knob? Evidence?

98ZJUSMC on October 17, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Highlar on October 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Obama still lost voters after this debate….
Some Obama supporters will never give it up….they are lost, and would be
not matter who the President is.

Romney is getting voters that did not vote in the last election.
Romney’s strong and steady presence is what is drawing voters to Romney.

Obama keeps pushing more people away.

redguy on October 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM

And like those same polls, Romney wins those categories. What say you?
Highlar on October 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I would also argue that the election is a referendum on Obama and each passing debate where Romney is not the monster in the Obama ads the more they fall away from him. I feel Romney just showing up and not being the monster the Obama ads have him being adds to his numbers. How does Obama add to his numbers outside of Romney being a monster? Well he tells us what he will do the next 4 years. He has punted on that and undecideds only wait so long for the incumbent to tell why he will change things in the next term. Obama didn’t do that he said stay the course and trust me and watching the focus groups people are saying he is not getting my vote promising more of the same. He lost both of those topics and thus he really lost the debate.

Conan on October 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM

You needed a homerun tonight to stop the freefall. Denied

Chuck Schick on October 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Obama needed a grand slam in every inning to win……not even close.

The next 3 weeks will be manic……

redguy on October 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM

How do you literate some’s guts?

hawkdriver on October 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM

It’s Austrian.

Solaratov on October 17, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Illinidiva

How old are you now, 5?

Get off your azz and vote! Or at least shut up and stay out of the way.

Solaratov

Thankfully she lives in Illinois, so it doesn’t really matter anyway.

Jocundus

Not really. Most people who saw Candy come to his rescue will never hear the true story. And by the time the next debate rolls around, Libya will be old news. If she hadn’t stepped in, it could have been over for Obama. Candy did her job well, and may have kept Obama in the game for a little longer.

xblade on October 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM

I predict that in years to come this debate will be referred to as a game changer but not because of anything either candidate did or said. It will be known as the day the old media put the final nail in their coffin. Crowley did tonight what Brent Bozell has been trying to do for years namely to expose MSM bias. So thanks for that Candy and as a token of my appreciation I will be sending you a lovely box of chocolates…on second thought best not as it appears that Ms Crowley has been getting enough from her liberal pals.

neyney on October 17, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Obama still lost voters after this debate….
Some Obama supporters will never give it up….they are lost, and would be
not matter who the President is.

Romney is getting voters that did not vote in the last election.
Romney’s strong and steady presence is what is drawing voters to Romney.

Obama keeps pushing more people away.

redguy on October 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I agree, I think Romney will continue to pick up voters with his answers, particularly women voters. If Gallup and PPP are accurate on this issue, and other polls are showing (if not the same parity) a similar shift in the gender gap, Obama is toast. With Romney having a high, solid lead among men, Obama needs a massive female voter base to bail him out. And I just don’t think he’s going to get it now. Romney has demolished that gender gap, and Obama is scrambling to make it back up again.

Highlar on October 17, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Maybe tmrw will bring sober assessements at HA.

verbaluce on October 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Giving up the booze, are you?

Bless your heart.

Solaratov on October 17, 2012 at 1:14 AM

neyney on October 17, 2012 at 1:12 AM

That was Candy Crowley? I could have sworn that was John Goodman in drag.

Jurisprudence on October 17, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Has anyone noticed that since I endorsed Romney about 2 weeks ago he has vaulted, no catapulted, ahead in the polls?

I noticed it.

SparkPlug on October 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM

something brilliant

Bmore on October 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Watch the polls this week.

hawkdriver on October 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Dire Straits was here..:)

Dire Straits on October 17, 2012 at 1:19 AM

something brilliant

Bmore on October 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I agree. Cindy is all that and charming too.

SparkPlug on October 17, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I noticed it.

SparkPlug on October 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM

The SparkPlug bounce…we were all waiting for it.

GOPRanknFile on October 17, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Cindy you are brilliant.

Brat on October 17, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Magic 8 Ball says:

Dave is not here, but Dire is.

SparkPlug on October 17, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Goodnite all. It was fun.

txhsmom on October 17, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Conan on October 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I completely agree here, and especially with the highlighted part. This really was Obama’s last big national chance to say what he is going to do in a second term…and he utterly failed to do so. Since the last debate leaves the economy in the dust, he has no more chances outside of his own campaign rallies to push any kind of an economic message. He has failed to pass that test via independents…and he has lost the election because of it. Romney has shown plans…Obama has shown more “hope and change”…and it has lost all the magic that it used to contain.

Highlar on October 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Did I miss the memeo that said the troll were required to leave after Candy Crowley admitted her mistake?

hawkdriver on October 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

5000

RedCrow on October 17, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Rush will be fun to listen to tomorrow

workingclass artist on October 17, 2012 at 1:22 AM