French president actually considering a ban on homework

posted at 3:21 pm on October 16, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

It’s actually come to this. For the sake of creating a more level playing field for students who might not have home lives as conducive to productive learning as others, the national — I repeat, not some local or regional government or association or something, but the national — French government is actually floating a plan that would disallow schools from assigning their pupils homework, via TIME:

Last week, Hollande reaffirmed his pledge to make education one of his main domestic priorities by outlining key strategic changes to revitalize France’s school system. It’s a sweeping package of changes meant to reform a system critics claim is outdated and inefficient, but for headline writers it boils down to one concept: the French President wants to outlaw homework. “Work should be done at school, rather than at home,” Hollande emphasized on Wednesday.

He also proposes reducing the average amount of time a student spends in class in each day, while stretching the school week from four days to four and a half. It’s a bid to bring the country more in line with international standards and to acknowledge some of the current system’s shortcomings. Even the homework isn’t just an empty populist gesture — it’s meant to reflect the fact that many of the lowest-performing students lack a positive support environment at home.

I realize France probably has a different educational culture and customs than what we’re used to, but this is just insanity borne of shooting for “fairness” at every turn. What’s next — will French President Hollande actually propose preventing what he deems to be too-ambitious students from doing extra practice work outside of class on their own personal initiative, because it might give them an unfair advantage? Thankfully, as the WSJ points out, it appears that while this might be every child’s dream come true, most French adults aren’t really into the idea:

Here we begin to wonder: Are the French losing their mind? Fortunately not. More than two-thirds of the country would oppose the ban, according to an Ifop poll, so there’s hope that even in the land of égalité there’s some recognition that state power cannot equalize everything. It’s also reassuring to know that a majority of French adults believe there’s something to be said for instructing children in the need for personal initiative and responsibility, regardless of excuses or circumstances.

I’m not sure how or why trying to apply these kinds of redistributive socialist tactics to education is supposed to “help” French students progress, develop, and learn; the result will be the same as applying socialism in the economic sector, i.e., less wealth/knowledge creation for everybody. I suppose you can try to make everyone’s formative circumstances as fair as possible, but guess what? Life isn’t fair, and learning to adapt to that reality is part of being a mature adult — but then again, as the WSJ concludes, “perhaps [Hollande's] ideas about homework say something about the kind of citizens of the future he wishes to see.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Wow! Unbelievable!

Are these white elites hell bent on ruining the white race as well as their countries?

vnohara on October 16, 2012 at 5:38 PM

GFY and GTFO, racist troll.

Hey, moderators — clean-up on aisle 6377174 please!

Mary in LA on October 16, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I beg to differ. It IS here – Hollande is just moving faster than Obummer.

Not only are they punishing the successful people who actually create the jobs, now they will also ensure that future generations are too stupid to become successful.

“If I had a twin brother, he would act just like Hollande.” /Barky

dentarthurdent on October 16, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Good points – I agree. :)

22044 on October 16, 2012 at 6:04 PM

“progressives” (which by your statement you appear to be)

dentarthurdent on October 16, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Me? Gosh, no. I’m a reactionary. :-) I want to go back to the small, local schoolhouse system. I also have three teachers in my family who hate (a) the teacher’s union and (b) the de-emphasis on academic achievement in our public schools in favor of government indoctrination.

I am not slamming teachers in any way. I am slamming the system they are constrained to work in. “New Math” could never have infected your son’s school if it hadn’t been crammed down by state bureaucrats, probably over the objections of the teachers there. I am very sorry to hear that he was permanently harmed.

Mary in LA on October 16, 2012 at 6:09 PM

dentarthurdent, you and I probably agree on more than we disagree. But it is true that Horace Mann deliberately reformed the U.S. schoolhouse system along Prussian lines, precisely because of its assembly-line style. He thought it would be the most rapid and efficient way to make all kids into literate readers.

Mary in LA on October 16, 2012 at 6:12 PM

As a gifted kid in a public school, I was bored. I learned that I could skate by without doing any homework and get an A anyway.

As you can imagine, I was in for a rude surprise when I got to college. The bad habits I learned in elementary school continued to sabotage me for many years afterward. I have had to do a lot of work to break them.

Mary in LA on October 16, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Wow! Unbelievable!

vnohara on October 16, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I see Killgore Trout is out trolling again.

pat on October 16, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I see Killgore Trout is out trolling again.

pat on October 16, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Yes indeedy! FWIW, I reported that post to the moderators. I hope it will soon disappear into the aether.

Mary in LA on October 16, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Hey if the abort all the kids will it matter?

CW on October 16, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Let’s see, no homework, 75% tax, and free abortions. This guy is a bigger nut case than our nut case. Does he skip around in tights tossing cake?

Kissmygrits on October 16, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Mary in LA on October 16, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Mary in LA on October 16, 2012 at 6:12 PM

My apologies if I misinterpreted what you were saying. It appeared to me that you were denigrating the “traditional” education system in favor of the current progressive mess we have.
I believe that while it may not have been perfect, the old traditional school system got better results than what we’re getting now. So I’d prefer to see us toss the progressive crap and go back to the old school ways of education – perfect, no – but the results were better overall.

dentarthurdent on October 16, 2012 at 7:04 PM

The only homework French students need learn, is the French Battle Cry…

Nous abandonnons, ne pas nous faire de mal!!!!

DStreete on October 16, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Mary in LA on October 16, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Ya – I also somewhat skated through HS and then struggled in college.
What really bothered me about my son doing so poorly in math after the TAG program was that I was on the math competition team in HS (ya – true geek) and got an engineering BS. It killed me that my son got burned by a “TAG” program and burned out on math even before HS.
BTW – my older son went through the same schools and started college in mechanical engineering, but changed to business because he also couldn’t handle the math – as did many other kids from the same high school – which is supposedly one of the better schools in our area.

dentarthurdent on October 16, 2012 at 7:10 PM

The only homework French students need learn, is the French Battle Cry…
Nous abandonnons, ne pas nous faire de mal!!!!
DStreete on October 16, 2012 at 7:07 PM

If I remember enough of my HS French – and for those of you who don’t speak French:
“We surrender. Don’t hurt us.”
(or something along that line) oui??

dentarthurdent on October 16, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I remember enough of my HS French – and for those of you who don’t speak French: “We surrender. Don’t hurt us.” (or something along that line) oui??

dentarthurdent on October 16, 2012 at 7:13 PM

More accurately, We give up,don’t hurt us!

So, yeah.

DStreete on October 16, 2012 at 7:20 PM

More accurately, We give up,don’t hurt us!
So, yeah.

DStreete on October 16, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Hey, now we have an opening to take this thread into the (half) vast land of French military jokes now:
Next?

dentarthurdent on October 16, 2012 at 7:25 PM

ey, now we have an opening to take this thread into the (half) vast land of French military jokes now: Why is the Champs-Elysees lined with trees? Because the Germans prefer to march in the shade. bah-dum-bah Next?

dentarthurdent on October 16, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Damm!t, you caught me as well prepared as Ear Leader was at the first debate…

DStreete on October 16, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Though, I did hear that French Military is selling surplus. One million assault rifles, never been used.

DStreete on October 16, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Wow! Unbelievable!

vnohara on October 16, 2012 at 5:38 PM

GFY and GTFO, racist troll.

Hey, moderators — clean-up on aisle 6377174 please!

Mary in LA on October 16, 2012 at 6:03 PM

You are just as sensitive as Obama, aren’t you, sweetie? There isn’t any bad white person or white elite, and white people can’t be criticized or what?

If you were really gifted as you claimed your young self to be, you would have reckoned that I admire the smartness of white people and was disheartened to see it being corroded by policy such as this.

vnohara on October 16, 2012 at 8:12 PM

DStreete on October 16, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Dropped once.

newportmike on October 16, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Did you know that French tanks only go in reverse.

newportmike on October 16, 2012 at 8:32 PM

newportmike on October 16, 2012 at 8:32 PM

*snort*

Have you seen the French Navy? Two sailboats and a canoe.

DStreete on October 16, 2012 at 8:37 PM

One from the old Mr. Manly radio skit – dealing with an irritating French business associate at a NY French restaurant:
Oh look at the menu, this sandwich is a tongue between 2 buns. Wasn’t that the standard French greeting for the German army for most of the 20th century?

I really shouldn’t enjoy these jokes so much, since my Mom’s side of the family has a lot of French-Canadian…..

dentarthurdent on October 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM

vnohara on October 16, 2012 at 8:12 PM

No, jerk, it’s because you’re a counterfeit, coming here and posting white supremacist crap in an effort to tarnish this site. “Ruining the white race” is Stormfront talk.

Mary in LA on October 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM

dentarthurdent on October 16, 2012 at 7:04 PM

No problem — I’m glad you and I are cool. :-) I was denigrating the “traditional” education system in favor of the even-more-traditional education system that existed before it. The progressive mess we have is beneath contempt, as you and I both agree.

If we could go back to public school education as it was about fifty years ago, that would be a step in the right direction, and I would heartily support the effort. I just want to go farther with it.

Mary in LA on October 17, 2012 at 3:32 PM

vnohara on October 16, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Mary in LA on October 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I shouldn’t have sworn at you earlier. That wasn’t right.

But I was and am angry, because nine times out of ten, anyone coming here and posting stuff about “the white race” is doing so to leave a stinking turd that they can later point to and say, “Look at those racist conservatives! None of them challenged my comment, so they must all agree with it!”, which is bullcrap. Just because a comment stands does not mean we all agree with it.

Mary in LA on October 17, 2012 at 3:40 PM