We’re “in the midst of a huge recovery,” says FLOTUS. Who knew?

posted at 2:41 pm on October 15, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Is this the campaign meme that Team Obama is going to aggressively start pushing at us with three weeks to go? Of course they often iterate that things are going better than they are, that these things take time, and that there were always going to be “bumps in the road” on the way to recovery, but are they now offensively trying to get us all to deny the signs of reality staring us in the face and just lure us into the attractive self-deception that we’re actually in the middle of a glorious economic rebound? That seems to be the story that Michelle Obama was shooting for during a radio interview on Friday, but, call me crazy… somehow I’m just not seeing it. Via CNSNews:

Mrs. Obama said, “I mean, we are seeing right now that we are in the midst of a huge recovery. Right?  Because of what this president has done.” …

Obama: “Pulled this economy from the brink of collapse when we were losing 800,000 jobs a month. Now were gaining every — throughout most of his presidency, we’ve been adding jobs to this economy because of what he’s been doing. The stock market has doubled. Housing prices are rising. Foreclosure rates are lowering. But in the face of that, you still have people trying to convince us that things aren’t better.” …

Obama: “And that just doesn’t make sense. Now, Barack of all people knows that we still have a long way to go to completely rebuild the economy. But we’re headed in the right direction. And when you see all of that truth, it’s hard to understand why are people blocking this?

The Obama campaign struck much the same tone in a brand new ad out today in which various Main-Streeters attest to the ways in which their businesses have improved because of the president’s policies since the official recession:

Well, if we can all just force ourselves to forget the pesky facts of Barack Obama’s tenure, like the fact that median household incomes have shrunk; that our high unemployment rate has remained near-stagnant and only dropped slightly because of so many people dropping out of the labor force; that economists are predicting the unemployment rate isn’t likely to get better anytime soon; that our current economic growth, practically isn’t; and etcetera… then sure, I suppose we can all suddenly delude ourselves into embracing Team Obama’s newfound pride over the president’s economic record. My brain could use a rest anyways.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

How many of those companies received money through the temporary stimulus bill that have become permanent expenditures?

djaymick on October 15, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Well, dadgum, Michelle. I wish you would have told me that before I went at lunch and paid $473 to the bank for a payment on a loan I was forced to take out to keep our freakin’ heads above water!!!

Heifer.

kingsjester on October 15, 2012 at 3:43 PM

The stock market has doubled.

Why are the champions of the downtrodden helping those evil Wall Street bankers double their net worth? President Obama and the first lady said it was Wall Street that caused the mess were in. Specifically, the unregulated actions of the stock market under that clown Booosh, right?

Well, the stock market didn’t double under that dimwit Booosh, but under Obama it doubles? The fat cats are getting richer under Obama than they did under Booosh!

That’s proof that the nation is better off under the leadership of Obama?

Things any lib that has the guts to take this admin at their word should be asking themselves.

Mich_93 on October 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM

“Prosperity is just around the corner” -
Herbert Hoover, 1932

TarheelBen on October 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM

LegendHasIt on October 15, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Plus, she is buying a new pair of Naugahyde hot-pants… Talk about a huge recovery.

LegendHasIt on October 15, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Reality check

Schadenfreude on October 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM

fudged unemployment numbers last week = huge recovery well underway?

I despise that woman.

Sir Napsalot on October 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I live in the last bastion of freedom in California… Rural San Diego County… Very Conservative, very Republican… ;)

SWalker on October 15, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I live in LA county and until I found a conservative guy who had come from San Diego, I felt like the only one here. I even came accros a guy at the supermarket as well. And I personally don’t shy away from being open about it.

There are a few of us even in the bastions of liberalism. ;)

ptcamn on October 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Ummm, California is the MOST populous state in the Union, not the least… I think you meant, not including California would not make any difference.

SWalker on October 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM

No way, Jose. I and like two or three other Americans are SoCal born and raised. Everyone knows Cali is America’s least-populous state and Wyoming is the most-populous state. Heck, what’s the point of even including Cali in BLS numbers?

/<–Gee, what's this?

Christien on October 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Hey, MO!:

Swing States poll: Women push Romney into lead

3:41PM EDT October 15. 2012 – WASHINGTON — Mitt Romney leads President Obama by five percentage points among likely voters in the nation’s top battlegrounds, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds, and he has growing enthusiasm among women to thank.

As the presidential campaign heads into its final weeks, the survey of voters in 12 crucial swing states finds female voters much more engaged in the election and increasingly concerned about the deficit and debt issues that favor Romney. The Republican nominee now ties the president among women who are likely voters, 48%-48%, while he leads by 12 points among men.

Cody1991 on October 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Six trillion Wyomingites can’t be wrong: California does not even exist.

Christien on October 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM

She must be recovering her appetite.

Schadenfreude on October 15, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Holy crap. I’d hate to see what her idea of a sputtering economy would look like.

Physics Geek on October 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM

If Michelle is cool with cooking the books by excluding California’s job numbers from the BLS report, is she also cool with excluding their electoral votes? Someone should pose that question to her on-air.

Christien on October 15, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Does that mean my skittles and unicorn and are in the mail and I can quit my second job?

scalleywag on October 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Of course she thinks we’re in the middle of a huge recovery. She doesn’t have to pay for:

rent/mortgage
home heating & cooling costs
transportation and gas
family vacations
expenses related to entertaining
health care

Our paychecks are shrinking, and our costs are soaring. Don’t the Dems realize that THEY are the ones out of touch.

Laura in Maryland on October 15, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Lol! Here comes the, “Who you gonna believe, me or your lying eyes?”, routine from the chicago thug machine! The recovery is on, the world loves us & Obama’s the smartest man in the world. Even my keyboard has trouble getting that out. This must be the mating call of the moron, cause they keep trotting it out every election and the morons gobble it up!
Update on How to take on the Enemy media: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 15, 2012 at 4:19 PM

An interview on a D.C. hip hop radio station? Right, that venue itself and its audience are telling.

The D.C. area with all of its federal employees is living large. The incomes there surpass those in other areas of the country. Those not earning the big bucks are on the dole and loving Obysmal’s America.

This woman is a travesty as a representative of our nation. She is little more than a self-serving “celebrity.”

onlineanalyst on October 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Cody1991 on October 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM

“Women have NOT pushed Romney into the lead in swing states. I have a poll that you’ve never heard of that says otherwise.”

- dumbygumbyandpokey, Assistant Press Secretary, Ministry of Truth

Resist We Much on October 15, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Well, that’s all they got. Do you expect them to declare themselves unfit to lead and withdraw from the race?

Finbar on October 15, 2012 at 4:26 PM

scalleywag on October 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Those Skittles come with a commemorative “If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon” mug.

(Actually, he would not look like Trayvon. He would look like this.)

Resist We Much on October 15, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Yup, huge recovery. That’s why I keep seeing more and more empty storefronts at all the shopping strips around my house and on my drive to and from work.

Curse those ATMs!

Queasy on October 15, 2012 at 2:52 PM

You, too? I remarked on the same phenomenon just yesterday.

onlineanalyst on October 15, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Hey Michelle, you know what’s huge????

ctmom on October 15, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Resist We Much on October 15, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Heh, from Ace:

Romney’s surge is courtesy of… the wimmens, or, as the DNC thinks of them, “Vagina-Based Life Forms.”

Cody1991 on October 15, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Hey Michelle, you know what’s huge????

ctmom on October 15, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Do I get three guesses?

Cody1991 on October 15, 2012 at 4:33 PM

The recovery is starting because Barry is sinking in the polls…

albill on October 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM

The Rent Is Too Damn High!

Christien on October 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Our paychecks are shrinking, and our costs are soaring. Don’t the Dems realize that THEY are the ones out of touch to lunch.

Laura in Maryland on October 15, 2012 at 4:19 PM

“Lunch? Do they serve lobsters?” — Michelle Obama

Schadenfreude on October 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM

SWalker on October 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM

/<–Gee, what's this?

Christien on October 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Something you forgot in your original post… o_O

SWalker on October 15, 2012 at 4:59 PM

SWalker on October 15, 2012 at 3:34 PM

There are a few of us even in the bastions of liberalism. ;)

ptcamn on October 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Hold on brother… We’ve almost got them surrounded… BWAHAHAHAH….

SWalker on October 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM

It’s official. Michelle’s weave has been way too tight for too long. In addition to affecting the blood supply to her brain, severely impacting her ability to differentiate right from wrong, the continual pulling has also caused her hairline to recede.

natasha333 on October 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM

A matched set of liars.

disa on October 15, 2012 at 5:06 PM

SWalker on October 15, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Of course I didn’t forget it. Most regulars recognize one another and recognize beyond obvious sarcasm without having to be spoon-fed with a sarc tag. YMMV.

Christien on October 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM

“Al Qaeda is back on their heals.”

“We’re in a huge recovery.”

“The consulate was attacked because of a movie.”

Three whoppers just in the last week.

LIARS R US Inc.

fogw on October 15, 2012 at 5:18 PM

This is an outrageous lie.

The truth is almost every month more people have been forced to leave the job force or not enter it because there were not enough jobs for those seeking jobs. Almost every month the hopes of those seeking work were dashed and worse than the prior month.

You actually only add jobs when more than enough are created to account for those entering the workforce. Otherwise things are getting worse not better.

Steveangell on October 15, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Christien on October 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Meh… I live in California, at $4.85 a gallon my mileage sucks right now… o_O

SWalker on October 15, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Ever feel like you live in North Korea?

acyl72 on October 15, 2012 at 6:05 PM

SWalker on October 15, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Respect for all the good folks like you still fighting the good fight in Cali. It’s pitiful what has become of our Golden State.

Christien on October 15, 2012 at 6:14 PM

LegendHasIt on October 15, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I heard they found some rich Corinthian leather left over from the Cordoba and were going to use that instead.

Flange on October 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Any long-suffering SoCal Hot Air denizens interested in a post-election meetup? (I dunno about you guys, but I don’t have any time before then!)

If so, please feel free to drop me a line: [my username, with underscores instead of spaces] at yahoo.com. (Or try clicking my username — it should be there, I hope!)

Mary in LA on October 15, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Wow. Total idiot or total liar. Either way this statement is obscene.

dogsoldier on October 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Big Mo often has erotic dreams about being in the midst of a HUGE pile of fried-chicken-fudge.

Pork-Chop on October 15, 2012 at 8:04 PM

New Romney ad-Moochelle talking about the “huge recovery” with Biden in the background laughing like the hyena he is.

redware on October 15, 2012 at 8:42 PM

of course you did not know. you are a con, aren’t you?

sashal on October 15, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Just A Pesky Fact

There hasn’t been one day during the entire Obama presidency when as many Americans were working as on the day President Bush left office.

Roflmmfao

donabernathy on October 16, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Hum…. Here’s the thing Michelle, RUMORS aren’t always fact!

Everything about this Obama administration and this Presidency stinks…. Lies, distortions, corruption on all levels, greed, fiscal irresponsibility, anti-American anti-growth policies, divider of nations and allies…..

Worse President and administration ever! Oh…. and Michelle hates you if you’re fat!

ActinUpinTexas on October 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM