An Akin comeback?

posted at 11:21 am on October 15, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Nearly two months ago, Todd Akin bought time on Missouri television to ask forgiveness from voters over regrettable remarks he made about rape.  Most scoffed that electoral forgiveness would be forthcoming, and predicted doom and defeat for Republicans in a Senate race most had assumed they would win against unpopular incumbent Claire McCaskill.  As soon as it became impossible for Akin to withdraw, McCaskill began bombarding Akin with ads over his statement, and few gave Akin any hope for a comeback.

A new poll from Wenzel Strategies (via James Hohmann at Politico’s Morning Score) might show a glimmer of that hope, however.  The likely-voter survey puts Akin up four points over McCaskill, 48.9/44.7, with 87% of the vote firm.  The sample on this poll has a D/R/I of 38/37/25, more Democratic than the 2010 midterm turnout in Missouri of 34/37/28, although not as Democratic as the 2008 turnout model of 40/34/26 that nonetheless gave John McCain a narrow win in the state.

However, a couple of points should be kept in mind.  First, this is a poll conducted on behalf of a partisan client, Citizens United Political Victory Fund, and Wenzel does a lot of work for Republicans.  We’d be suspicious of PPP polls, so it’s fair to note this.  Second, the poll also shows Mitt Romney ahead of Barack Obama by almost 14 points, 54.9/41.1, while the RCP average for MO is Romney +5.2%.  The last poll in that series, though, was conducted before the first debate, and it’s entirely possible that the race in Missouri has shifted significantly since.  It’s worth noting that Obama’s favorability in the poll is 49.5/49.1, so it’s not as though this has an overwhelming tilt.

Peter Boyer at The Daily Beast says that counting out Akin at this point would be a mistake. So, too, would be counting out some high-profile Republican help for Akin in the final couple of weeks, for pragmatic purposes:

Yet less than a month before Election Day, Akin not only remains the Republican candidate to unseat Democratic incumbent Claire McCaskill, but is actually within striking distance of what could be the election season’s most stunning victory. Though badly outspent by McCaskill, Akin is close enough in the polls that Real Clear Politics counts the race a tossup. Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.)—who’d been among those urging Akin to quit—now judges that “he very well may win.”

Once the late-September deadline for replacing Akin on the ballot passed, the Republican establishment seemed to realize that, like it or not (and mostly, it did not), Akin suddenly represented the party’s best chance for winning the Senate. There have been hints that big money may start flowing from the national party to Missouri—though Akin is not counting on it (“My guess is, some will, and some won’t”).

But even if Akin does ultimately get last-minute assistance from the national GOP, he will still, should he win, owe very little to his party’s establishment. That would be a rather unusual situation for a freshman senator. And it could allow him to become a uniquely powerful proponent for the Tea Party’s agenda on Capitol Hill—not to mention a serious headache for the Senate’s GOP leadership. “What I’ve found in politics is a simple thing: pretty soon there’s gonna be a bill, and they’re gonna want someone to vote for their bill, or against some other bill,” says Akin. “And they’ll be thinking, ‘Man, we’re a vote short, what are we gonna do? You mean we’re gonna have to go talk to him?’ Well, it depends on whether or not they want to win.”

At this point, why not pitch in?  Akin’s the Republican candidate, and the race is definitely not lost.  Romney doesn’t need the help in Missouri, but defeating McCaskill would be a huge boost to Republican hopes of controlling the Senate.  Furthermore, the continued competitiveness of this race shows that the damage from the gaffe has receded.  Thanks to McCaskill’s blanketing of the state on the gaffe, it’s done all the damage it could possibly do now.  Those voters who might still change their minds won’t be changing horses based on that now.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

An Akin comeback?

Still.

An.

Idiot.

Bruno Strozek on October 15, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I don’t get all the angst. He’s a politician, and a solid conservative. If he goes to Washington and does a good job, that’s all we need.

tom on October 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM

What a naive statement.

The man is all but handing liberals the figurative boxes of ammo to shoot us with. “Doing a good job” includes not making statements that Rush Limbaugh would apologize for.

Some of you act like everything a Republican says reflects on you personally.

tom on October 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM

It kinda does. Since we’re the ones electing them, what they say reflects on the people who voted them into office.

MelonCollie on October 15, 2012 at 12:57 PM

“At this point, why not pitch in? Akin’s the Republican candidate, and the race is definitely not lost.”

Because Akin is a worthless scum of the Earth who is a member of Akin Party, not the Republican Party. As I pointed out on my blog, Akin’s answer wasn’t just politically dumb, it spoke to his failure as a human being. He’s a moral coward, an idiot, and a greedy, grasping, self-absorbed self-important creep.

Not one dime.

Greg Q on October 15, 2012 at 12:57 PM

What was weird was the piling on by the GOP. Those that did need to be scrutinized closely.

DanMan on October 15, 2012 at 12:48 PM

This! They should have simply said they either didn’t agree and let it go at that, or that they were waiting to see what Akin said about it.
Sometomes the Far Left scares the Repubs so bad it’s pathetic.

Deanna on October 15, 2012 at 12:58 PM

The reaction to Akin’s gaffe was ridiculous.

He said something stupid. As has every other politician.

His record seems solidly conservative by federal standards, so at this point he should be getting our support.

18-1 on October 15, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Reason? Few of you posters are even remotely conservative, thus anyone with a 30ACU rating who screws up is a required victory for us, anyone with a 97ACU is satan and must be defeated.

astonerii on October 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM

You caught me… darn.

See I’m just a FISCAL conservative. I want the budgets, and the government regulations and involvement out of the way for the economy.

But in no way am I a SOCIAL conservative. What I do in the privacy of my own home is my business and I have no more interest in a Government trying to control my SOCIAL life than I want them controlling my FINANCIAL life.

It’s terrible the way I hypocritically don’t want the government controlling me; whereas noble people like you want the government controlling the RIGHT parts of my life, but not the WRONG parts like liberals do.

If only you had the power and control to make everyone do as you say things would be better… right?

Akin’s statement was clear that he’s looking for a lot of Social conservative regulatory power… and no, I don’t want that. But kudos for you thinking that more government power and control would be a good thing… and for catching the rest of us out in our treachery and deceit.

gekkobear on October 15, 2012 at 1:05 PM

‘We Are in the Midst of a Huge Recovery’

- Michelle Antoinette Obama

Economists: Unemployment Still 7.8 Percent in a Year

Resist We Much on October 15, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Ron White might be wrong – massive corruption and heinous evil might actually FIX STUPID.

TeaPartyNation on October 15, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I am conflicted about this. I would like to see GOP control of the Senate, but I worry about the long-run damage to the GOP brand which Senator Todd Akin would inflict. A little unofficial channelling of some money toward Akin wouldn’t be bad idea if for no other reason that the Democrats would have spend four or five times as much to fight back.

thuja on October 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Dave Rywall on October 15, 2012

…has IT rotted off yet… Dryrot?

KOOLAID2 on October 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I would be honestly willing to throw the race to Dems if it meant the end of the Bible-thumping troglocon wing of the GOP personified by Pastor Phuckabee. Unfortunately, it will not. Worse even, it might result in loss of Senate control, and perpetuation of OgabeCare. For just this election, I’m willing to compromise my position on religion.

Archivarix on October 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Maybe one day you can have your dream of purging the GOP of all those yucky socons and restoring it to its glory days of having ca. 32% of Congress….

tom on October 15, 2012 at 1:08 PM

This guy is a taint. When I say this, I do not mean to call him a physical or moral corruption. I mean to call him the physiological location between the crotch and the butt.

The R next to his name doesn’t impress me at all. I’d prefer to take back the Senate without this douche, no matter how hard it would be.

Red Cloud on October 15, 2012 at 1:12 PM

tom on October 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM

What a naive statement.

Some of you act like everything a Republican says reflects on you personally.

tom on October 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM

MelonCollie on October 15, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Get over it. This hyper-sensitivity to a perceived embarrassment is exactly why the GOP gives in to the left all the time. The left passes whatever hare-brained socialistic scheme they can get through, then the Republicans pledge to make it work so they won’t be accused of being heartless. It’s like the GOP has dedicated itself to proving they’re not scary by giving the Democrats whatever they want, but promising to manage it better.

And so the progressive agenda advances during Democrat administrations and solidifies during Republican administrations.

He’s one politician out of many.

tom on October 15, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I want that too.

Fiscal conservatism is an aspect of social conservatism. There are reason why things have been they way they have been for centuries and even thousands of years. They work at making society function efficiently. Efficiently running societies can be fiscally prudent with their money.

On the other hand, socially promiscuous societies are not efficient. It is why you do not see them lasting very long. The promiscuity leads to sloth, over consumption, less production, and eventually half the population forcing the other half to support them financially because they are too lazy, incompetent and selfish to do so themselves.

It is not about controlling you. It is about not incentivising you to do bad things. Where you might be on the fence of doing something, but the cost of doing it is too high for you to do it, you choose to not do it. But if the government will back stop you, as it currently is doing, the cost is much lower and thus you and the hundreds of millions of other making these choices lands on the side of doing something destructive and passing the cost onto those who chose to act rationally and productively. People vote for these things. Until you make it unconstitutional to back stop these bad choices by stealing from the producers to give to the self destructive, I land on the side of needing additional safeguards for my finances. Laws that cause your choices of self destructive behavior to be costly enough to dissuade you from doing them on average. That is FISCAL, got it? Of course not, because you do not care to understand reality.

gekkobear on October 15, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Stopping a person from murdering another person is a lot of social conservative regulatory power? SERIOUSLY?

astonerii on October 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Akin could start saying that space aliens have seized the Missouri Capital… and that would be OK with me, he would still get my vote — just because he is not Claire McCaskill.

Axion on October 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM

thuja on October 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Amen. And I’m pro-LIFE. This idjit really makes it hard to convice those on the fence that we’re not a bunch of crazy, pseudo-Christian cultist when we really care saving the lives of our most fragile fellow humans.

Laura in Maryland on October 15, 2012 at 1:25 PM

tom on October 15, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Tom, this is different. I’m with you. We should do less apologizing and more educating when leftist maroons don’t understand basic economic principles.

That said, I put Akin’s comments right up there with WHoopie’s “rape-rape” idiocy. It was no gaffe that could just be explaiend away. The guy refused to step aside while there was still a chance to replace him and win the seat. He is using control fo the Senate and the fate of the country to blackmail the establishment into supporting his campaign. Hubris is the nicest thing I can call that.

Laura in Maryland on October 15, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Laura in Maryland on October 15, 2012 at 1:25 PM

polls seem to proving you wrong. otherwise akin would be buried w/ no hope. maybe repubs need to stop worrying if they dems or the MFM will paint us as crazies (they will) everytime there is a statement they can spin in a negative way and explain that akin will vote the right way on the right issues. any crazy he has will be contained since there are 534 other congressmen to put a lid on it.

chasdal on October 15, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Not one dime.

Greg Q on October 15, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I understand your reluctance for financial support. I also undertand yours ad others’ view the man is an idiot for even thinking what he does about rape.

BUT.

Can you nor anyone else here tell me how he would be worse for GOP than, say, Graham? And a number of other GOP Congress critters who openly support liberal views and force them on us (Snow anyone?)

If Akin wins, we ALL win, regardless if you understand that or not. And I can’t say the same about McLaim, Graham, McConnell, Murkowski and a number of others who have already done MUCH WORSE to us in years past and present.

Its one thing to think and say something really out of touch with reality and stupid in its content. BUT its an entirely another thing to PAY Al Qaeda to kill our own citizens and that is exactly what most GOP Senators voted for 2 weeks ago. To me, that is a much CRIME, while Akin has not committed crime as far as I can tell. To me and my understanding, giving Al Qaeda money in the form of “financial aid” to any muslim country, monies that will eventually be shifted to Al Qaeda operations, is nothing short of TREASON.

I’ll take Akin’s view on rape over TREASON any day of the week. Akin’s views do not KILL AMERICANS. NOR PAY FOR THE KILLINGS.

riddick on October 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Has any liberal Democrat ever apologized for saying something that offended a conservative?

I don’t understand the hate for this guy. He said something inaccurate, was called on it, took it back and apologized.

Rose on October 15, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Most of the Akin-bashers here are apparently unaware of how many scandals McCaskill is involved in.

Most recently, McCaskill has been caught making millions for her family from legislation she wrote into measures she pressed forward in the Senate. And this isn’t the first time she’s done this: this is only her LATEST public money grabbing scandal.

So who do you think the voters in MO will hate more: a self-serving politician who has been caught multiple times with her hand in the public cookie jar, and who has used union thugs to lock her constituents out of town meetings….or a solid conservative who has been re-elected 3 times and who made a single mistake on the campaign trail??

I’m betting that most of the Akin-bashers above are unaware of the local situation and how truly despised and vulnerable McCaskill really is. I think some of you have bought into a hollow LSM meme: you should know better.

Prediction: Akin will win.

landlines on October 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Prediction: Akin will win.

landlines on October 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Not likely. Akin is an enemy to these people. 97 ACU rating means he is actually for a smaller government. They cannot stand that, they just do not want the Democrats getting the credit for the massive government they want.

astonerii on October 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Clinton was a good leader, despite the rape accusations etc.
But somehow Akin’s dumba$$ gaffe is so much worse.
My God this is stupid.

Badger40 on October 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Prediction: Akin will win.

landlines on October 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM

There’s no need to bet. It’s the truth. I’ve stated multiple times how hated McCaskill is in this state and I’ve said that in my neck of the woods the Akin signs outnumber the McCaskill signs which is a huge feat given my location, yet people still continue to spew out their stupid rants like they know what’s best for us and like they are smarter than the people who actually live in this state.

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM

At this point, why not pitch in? Akin’s the Republican candidate, and the race is definitely not lost. Romney doesn’t need the help in Missouri, but defeating McCaskill would be a huge boost to Republican hopes of controlling the Senate. Furthermore, the continued competitiveness of this race shows that the damage from the gaffe has receded. Thanks to McCaskill’s blanketing of the state on the gaffe, it’s done all the damage it could possibly do now. Those voters who might still change their minds won’t be changing horses based on that now.

As the post here prove a true Conservative is more hated than the most liberal Democrat.

They would prefer to lose the Senate.

That is better than allowing even just one more Conservative into the Senate.

Romney and many other Republicans are just as pro abortion as Obama. That is why they hate Akins statement so much. He really is against Abortion they just pretend to be against it while they actually support abortion and it’s limiting the expansion of the black population.

Steveangell on October 15, 2012 at 1:50 PM

He’s just saying that to keep Dems motivted in a state Obama will lose. Akin will not pull this out no matter what, sorry, but it’s true. Come down to Missouri and really talk to people, especially Republicans. Akin is the one name on the GOP ticket people will avoid marking.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 1:55 PM

They would prefer to lose the Senate.

That is better than allowing even just one more Conservative into the Senate.

Steveangell on October 15, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Seems like it, doesn’t it? So that we can hear “evil liberals in Senate do not allow us to do what’s right” meme, similar to “Bush did it” we hear now.

Funny how Akin’s record is WAY MORE conservative than the guy’s running for president…

And similar to how GOP re-districted Allen West in FL to at least have a chance of getting rid of him. Yep, GOP has out best interests at heart… Expect a bridge sale come January 21st, as usual.

riddick on October 15, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Steveangell on October 15, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Has nothing to do with liberal/conservative. Akin sticks his foot in his mouth on a weekly basis around here. Claire is not “ladylike”, it’s common for abortionists to give abortions to women who aren’t really pregnant, lots of women falsely cry rape to get an abortion (even though you don’t have to use that excuse here to get one), and on and on and on. He is a mental midget and now the whole state knows it. He’s going to lose.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 1:57 PM

riddick on October 15, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Akin’s loss has nothing to do with money or National GOP support. Neither of those things play well around here anyway. He failed a threshold competence test with the voters. That’s entirely, 100%, Akin’s fault.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 1:59 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM

My guess is your neck of the woods is located in St. Charles County. He will lose this race in the suburbs and the western side of the state, which holds no fondness for the man.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:01 PM

First of all, I’m from Missouri. Akin is my Congressman. All of you who are spouting off and don’t have a vote can stfu.

The man used the word “legitimate” instead of “forcible”…he screwed up. Is he a bit of a nut? Yeah, but this is a numbers game now and it must be won. Besides, Akin’s position isn’t any different from Ryan’s or the GOP’s platform anyway, so get off the ledge.

Akin’s not a bad man, and he won’t be the biggest loon in the Senate. And for those of you worried about the “GOP brand”, Missouri will take the fall. Since our State U’s in the SEC now, we can take the heat when we’re called hicks.

There’s a big picture…step back and look at it.

Kenz on October 15, 2012 at 2:02 PM

gekkobear on October 15, 2012 at 1:05 PM

What a bozo. I guess all of you anti-Akin people think McCaskill is a much better representation of a conservative.

Most of you probably don’t live here so I guess you don’t care if we have to have McCaskill crapping on our state.

Vince on October 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Both the Repubs have an out side chance and could use any help we can give.

Deanna on October 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Thanks for posting this. I’ll watch the Mandel/Brown debate on C-span. If anyone else missed it live, it’s here:

bluefox on October 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I have no idea what part of Missouri you are in, but you are either…

a) lying
b) an idiot
c) both a and b

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Here in Missouri, my wife just shook her head when the silly Akin comment came out. I have reminded her: a vote against Obamatax. A vote for up to three conservative Supream court justices over the next six years. It worked. Logic is like that.

KCsecurity1976 on October 15, 2012 at 2:04 PM

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Which to you is far worse than Clair.

Thank you.

You just made my point.

You prefer to lose the Senate as that is far better than having Akin win.

By the way here is a fact in Roe vs Wade this was the subject of the case a woman falsely cried rape to get an abortion. The State denied the abortion showing testimony that there was no rape.

Steveangell on October 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 1:59 PM

And for a long time I thought that CA is the most idiotic state around. You guys take the cake now, by a wide margin.

Its one thing to SAY something really stupid (and I was/am truly appalled at his view of rape). But its entirely another playing field to SCREW not only your state, but the rest of the country like McCaskill has done. AND WILL DO if re-elected.

If you guys can’t tell the difference between saying something and DOING something, then I have no idea how else to explain it to you. Akin’s views have not done ANY HARM to anyone as far as I can tell (and feel free to provide proof to the contrary) while McCaskill’s ACTIONS have done PLENTY OF HARM.

This is remarkable when supposed adults have no notion of simple facts of life.

riddick on October 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I think you’re underestimating how motivated the outstate anti-Obama vote will be. Akin will ride those coat tails. I’m not saying he’ll win, but I’m not ready to say he won’t, either.

Claire’s been tied to Obama from day one, and he’s a pretty big rock.

Kenz on October 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I have no idea what part of Missouri you are in, but you are either…

a) lying
b) an idiot
c) both a and b

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Now that I reflected a bit upon the posts above it seems you missed option d) all of the above AND a liberal shill.

riddick on October 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Ha, try North Saint Louis County. What do you have to say now idiot?

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Akin sticks his foot in his mouth on a weekly basis around here.
alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 1:57 PM

You don’t have to lie to try and make your point. You seem to have a particular grudge against this man or else you’re a nut.

Vince on October 15, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Can we talk about something IMPORTANT for a change? Cards over Giants in 6!

Kenz on October 15, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Looks like another Hussein shill has been outed here… And the list keeps on growing. I have a suspicion that latest signup drive, when 4000 new posters were allowed to join and myself among them, has actually resulted in roughly 75% of liberal shills joining. Arghhh….

riddick on October 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Can we talk about something IMPORTANT for a change? Cards over Giants in 6!

Kenz on October 15, 2012 at 2:08 PM

The heck with that! How about in 4? GO CARDS!!!!

Vince on October 15, 2012 at 2:14 PM

You prefer to lose the Senate as that is far better than having Akin win.

Steveangell on October 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM

My preference has nothing to do with this race. I am speaking about reality.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Ha, try North Saint Louis County. What do you have to say now idiot?

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Wow. North STL county instead of St. Charles County. I was off by a whopping 15 miles.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Still.

An.

Idiot.

Bruno Strozek on October 15, 2012 at 12:56 PM

He’s an idiot for his inability to properly articulate his pro-life stance (and his words lead me to believe whether he’s actually thought it out all the way through), but his gaffe about “legitimate rape” has in my opinion been unfairly attacked since he was trying to distinguish from consensual statutory rape (16 year old girl and her 19 year old boyfriend for instance) versus violent rape.

His comments about the female body have defense mechanisms against the rapist’s sperm on the other hand were pretty offensive and idiotic. He should have left the race and I still believe he stubbornly stayed in for selfish reasons, BUT, now that he is closing in or leading in the polls the NRSC has no reason to treat him like a pariah. This is the same NRSC who pushed Crist over Rubio, Bennett over Lee, and whoever Rand Paul’s opponent was; so screw them.

Akin needs to better articulate his message on such a sensitive subject, but no way do I actually believe he condones rape in any way as the libs are trying to suggest.

Daemonocracy on October 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Vince on October 15, 2012 at 2:08 PM

What precisely have I lied about? He said each of those things AFTER the “legitimate rape” brouhaha. He’s a moron.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM

astonerii on October 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I read that entire post. I want that 30 seconds back… and, you’re as full of sh** as an old lady’s purse. As usual.

BTW, do you and Steveangell date?

M240H on October 15, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I have no idea what part of Missouri you are in, but you are either…

a) lying
b) an idiot
c) both a and b

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Show your work. Everything I have said is 100% true. And I live in Kansas City, thank you very much.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Kenz on October 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM

There aren’t enough people living outstate for that to matter. Akin has to win in the MO suburbs, and suburban moms don’t like him.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Um… apparently you don’t know the demographics of North St. Louis County as well as you think you do. It’s not exactly a white conservative bastion

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 2:27 PM

riddick on October 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM

You clearly do not understand Missouri. We are not excessively ideological. We still have a fondness for Harry Truman. Democrats are routinely elected to statewide office here. The GOP wave is building but I will bet everything I own that the wave will bypass Akin. It didn’t have to be this way. It’s Akin’s narcissism that led us to this point. 64% of GOP primary voters did not vote for Akin and do not feel any loyalty to him. The people who defend him are the ones who’ve been living in or near his congressional district. The rest of us think he’s a flake and an idiot.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:27 PM

thuja on October 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I’m not conflicted at all. When Jim DeMint sent an email to us to ask whether to support Akin, I said YES…and put my money where my mouth is. I’m glad Akin’s got it turned around and I think he’ll win the election. What’s more crazy to say “women have a defense mechanism against rape” or “the Rs want to give our children ecoli”? Politicians sometimes step in it, what I detest is the umbrage that follows…people in glass houses and all…

RedInMD on October 15, 2012 at 2:27 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 2:27 PM

No, it’s a blue enclave, just like KC. But you have a geographic affinity for Akin that we on the other side of the state do not have. Akin came in a distant third in the primary here, remember.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Can we talk about something IMPORTANT for a change? Cards over Giants in 6!

Kenz on October 15, 2012 at 2:08 PM
The heck with that! How about in 4? GO CARDS!!!!

Vince on October 15, 2012 at 2:14 PM

now that my Nationals are out, I can go back to supporting the Cards…Big Red in the series and Big Red election night…

RedInMD on October 15, 2012 at 2:30 PM

BTW, do you and Steveangell date?

M240H on October 15, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Social Conservative ideals ALLOW fiscal conservatism. Socially promiscuous ideals DEMAND fiscal liberalism and the wealth transfers we see. It is just simply that easy and plain. Feel free to provide evidence to the contrary.

astonerii on October 15, 2012 at 2:31 PM

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM

If you honestly think the mere physical location trumps the so-called foot-in-mouth all-is-lost gaffe, then you are a bigger moron than I thought.

The difference is that Kansas City is crazy.

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 2:32 PM

They would prefer to lose the Senate.

That is better than allowing even just one more Conservative into the Senate.

Steveangell on October 15, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Written by a nut, who is on the record stating that he will not vote for Romney under any circumstances. He wants Obama reelected so that Republicans can impeach him. Yeah, that makes sense ‘cuz everyone knows that they’ll be 67 votes in the Senate to convict and remove him.

Stevie, she says, “Hi!”

Resist We Much on October 15, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Memo to Show-Me-Staters: Don’t forget–it’s a secret ballot. If it helps, vote with a brown-paper bag over your head.
BuckeyeSam on October 15, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Great suggestion for the Kansas City area firefighters who arrived in a ‘McCaskill for Senate’ bus wearing T-shirts supporting same and sat around in the lobby of an Akin fund raiser last Saturday.

darlus on October 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM

The difference is that Kansas City is crazy.

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 2:32 PM

You are deliberately misunderstanding me. It’s not physical location. It’s that Republicans in the eastern side of the state are used to Akin’s constant gaffes. He’s your Joe Biden. We on the western side of the state have paid exactly zero attention to Akin for the past 12 years. We are just now learning that he is a gaffe machine. And the majority of voters are just not going to go for him. Akin will get probably 80% of the registered republican vote in Missouri. The problem is, that’s only about 30-35% of the vote. If you break it up ideologically, he has to win independents. If you break it up geographically, he has to win the suburbs. He cannot do either one. Shouting epithets at the other major metro in the state changes nothing.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM

The difference is that Kansas City is crazy.

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 2:32 PM

darlus on October 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM

And my point is bolstered.

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 2:39 PM

And my point is bolstered.

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 2:39 PM

So STL lacks firefighters? Or their firefighters are not union?

Riiiiiiight.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Stevie, she says, “Hi!”

Resist We Much on October 15, 2012 at 2:34 PM

It is truly insane to think any politician would be held accountable.

Impeachment. Banned from use by Establishment Republicans who are far more interested in protecting Democrats than holding them accountable.

Steveangell on October 15, 2012 at 2:42 PM

So STL lacks firefighters? Or their firefighters are not union?

Riiiiiiight.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM

And you say I’m deliberately misunderstanding? Hahaha… wow…

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 2:43 PM

And you say I’m deliberately misunderstanding? Hahaha… wow…

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Ok then, enlighten me: How precisely does KC’s union firefighters supporting the Democrat make KC crazy? STL’s firefighters also support Claire. It’s what union members do.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM

As I have said all along…from the very beginning.

Yes, he made a fool of himself, but that “fool” is better to have in the senate than a democrat who is guaranteed to vote foolish every time.

Better to have a part time fool, than a full time fool…and we never get the ideal, perfect candidate…but we can get the worst possible candidate.

And as far as “allfiredup”, he has been anti-Akin before his gaffes, he has been anti most every Republican that leads in the polls…need their be more obvious reasons he is so vested in not supporting Akin?

right2bright on October 15, 2012 at 2:48 PM

right2bright on October 15, 2012 at 2:48 PM

1) it’s alwaysfiredup.
2) I’m female.
3) Cassandra is never popular. However, national memes are false, and it is worth saying even when people don’t want to hear it. This is not “david v. goliath”. This is Homer Simpson v. Mr. Burns. Mr. Burns is going to win.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM

he has been anti most every Republican that leads in the polls…

right2bright on October 15, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Um, such as…?

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM

And my point is bolstered.

MobileVideoEngineer on October 15, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Here is a suggestion…ignore the troll.

He has no support, he/she is just a jester, someone looking for attention, and probably actually thinks has some impact…not knowing that we read and laugh at their naivete. And of course we laugh thinking that they actually believe that they are “fooling” us.

Ignore the poor soul, and watch them up the ante to try to get attention…

right2bright on October 15, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Akin will win, because the alternative is worse…anyone supporting the alternative, is not a Republican, but just a troll looking for attention…

Akin, not the best candidate, but the best of two…and as the old joke goes when the bear is chasing the two men…”We don’t have to out run the bear, just outrun you”…

right2bright on October 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM

right2bright on October 15, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Shorter right2bright: “lalalala I can’t hear you!!”

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Maybe if the GOP hadn’t worried so much about liberal reaction they wouldn’t have helped them by shooting down one of their own?

Loyalty is not a GOP trait, as documented with their systematic attacks on Sarah Palin and the entire tea party, who saved their behinds in 2010.

Don L on October 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM

“All politics are local” applies here.

Akin could have used RNC and other outside help. But he never really required it. The lack thereof just makes it harder for Akin to spread his message.

As a substitute for money, the “bad” publicity was actually good for Akin in Missouri. Out of it came a substantial amount of coverage he might not otherwise get.

Some might argue the coverage was negative- perhaps initially so. But his apology and lots of post-incident interviews followed and people like what they see.

Claire does not represent the view of most Missourians. She has been a rubber stamp for Mr. Obama’s policies which are not popular and have hurt the average voter in Missouri.

Given that landscape, I believe Mr. Akin wins.

Marcus Traianus on October 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM

What you “fiscal conservatives” (keep God out of our decisions crowd)fail to understand, is that the government is already in everyones bedroom, their dining hall, their workplace and with Obama–inside your relationship with God (even if your god is moneyj) They are after your very freedom to think what is right and wrong (that religious conscience attack.)

Without our rights coming from Nature’s God, the government may well decide what you do think or get to keep. Who is to decide that it’s wrong for them to do otherwise, if it isn’t built into the very dignity of man(hence the left is focusing on challenging those rights from Natures’s God?)

Throw God our of the equation and you throw out your rights in everything else.

As if your think for one second that freedom taken away will help presere your precious marketplace without a morally based society and government, you’re dreaming.

By the way, our society is economically in ruins in no small part because of what goes on in people’s bedrooms and homes.

Unfortunately, social issue are economic issues, unless you wish to ignore things like- inner city fatherless cultures, the abortion merry-go-round, the arbitrary spread of HIV,etc.broken marriages, dysfunctional familes all cost scoiety and much of that starts iin the bedroom.

My gosh, we even have to pay for condoms and you don’t see the connection yet.

Don L on October 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM

The new poll from Wenzel does not include Libertarian Jonathan Dine. He was polling as high as 9% in one poll couple weeks ago. So, without Dine in the Wenzel poll, it’s pretty worthless.

9 out of 10 times Libertarians should vote Republican, particularly in swing elections. This is one instance where all Libertarians, including libertarian Republicans should vote for the Libertarian Party candidate.

ericdondero on October 15, 2012 at 3:23 PM

This just makes me feel even better for donating to Demint’s Senate Conservative Fund, with my donation specifially earmarked for Akin.

Dominion on October 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Marcus Traianus on October 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM

“I think we have a very clear path to victory, and apparently Claire McCaskill thinks we do, too, because she was very aggressive at the debate, which was quite different than it was when she ran against Jim Talent. She had a confidence and was much more ladylike [in 2006], but in the debate on Friday she came out swinging, and I think that’s because she feels threatened.” Todd Akin, Sept. 29 2012

“There isn’t any legitimate rapist…. [I was] making the point that there were people who use false claims, like those that basically created Roe v. Wade.” Todd Akin, Aug. 21 2012

“A majority of Akin’s self-described voters think he should [withdraw], 50/34. Independents think he should withdraw by thirty-two points, 57/25, but 35% of them will still vote for Akin.” Mason Dixon poll via Hot Air, Aug. 26 2012

Plus, earlier:

“You find that along with the culture of death go all kinds of other lawbreaking. The not following good sanitary procedure, giving abortions to women who are not actually pregnant, cheating on taxes, all these kinds of things. The misuse of anesthetics so that people die or almost die. All of these things are common practice, and all that information is available for America.” Todd Akin, Jan 22, 2008

The vast majority of people who are voting for Akin are holding their noses to do so. The only poll showing him up is by a no-name self-described Republican polling organization, that has Romney winning Missouri by double digits (ain’t gonna happen. He’ll win, but not by 14 points.) Everybody else has him down.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Don L on October 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM

The thanks the Tea Party gets for saving the Republicans in 2010.

They are not allowed to vote in the Convention.

They are not allowed to speak at the Convention.

They are completely ignored and ridiculed by the GOP.

Listen GOP without the Tea Party you would not even exist as a Party today.

Steveangell on October 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Your ignorance sure is on full display today.

People please ignore this Troll.

Steveangell on October 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

leftists are proud as punch of people like Lizzy Warren…of dubious character…leftists will fight tooth and nail, and their press will spike stories on her character issues…and, yes, they are Fired UP.

Leftist will support anyone who carries out their mission…anyone. D are used to voting for some sleaze bad so that they can continue their free stuff, or their investment projects…whatever

this country is in super bad shape because of the leftists, and the self-interested client groups that vote their pocket book to get OPM

akin is probably not the brightest bulb in the universe…but seems far less corrupt and honest than 80 percent of all leftists

r keller on October 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

ericdondero on October 15, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Never underestimate the utter stupidity of closet liberals, err, “libertarians”. Same morons who will help Hussein via votes for Johnson.

riddick on October 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Woops, forgot one:

Lulli Akin said that efforts to push her husband out of the race threaten to replace elections “by the people and for the people” with “tyranny, a top-down approach.” She added, “Party bosses dictating who is allowed to advance through the party and make all the decisions—it’s just like 1776 in that way.”
She cited colonists who “rose up and said, ‘Not in my home, you don’t come and rape my daughters and my … wife. But that is where we are again. There has been a freedom of elections, not tyranny of selections since way back. Why are we going to roll over and let them steamroll us, be it Democrats or Republicans or whomever?” National Journal article, Sept 13 2012

They simply cannot shut up. It’s a debacle, on the scale of Christine O’Donnell.

Steveangell on October 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Akin was not the tea party candidate in this race. Akin was the 12-year DC insider.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM

gekkobear on October 15, 2012 at 1:05 PM

It seems to me that you share a lot in common with SCons.

You don’t want the government(at any level) subsidizing BC or abortions. You would be against the state endorsing homosexual marriage. You agree that a pharmacist at a drug store should not be forced by the state to sell BC.You probably agree that a state should be able to define (at least) late term abortion as murder if the overwhelming % of the population believes that it is murder.

You are a socon in many ways.

BoxHead1 on October 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM

but seems far less corrupt and honest than 80 percent of all leftists
s/b
but seems far less corrupt and more honest than 80 percent of all leftists

or their investment projects s/b

or their mal-investment projects

r keller on October 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM

r keller on October 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Comparatively speaking, he is a WAY BETTER person than, say, Biehner, McConnell and every other so called “republicans” who have extensive damage not only to GOP, but to the country via their votes and refusal to do their job.

riddick on October 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM

and of course the irony is that akin is a simple man. His net worth is toward the bottom of the entire House

Claire and her mega affordable housing husband are 11th (i think) richest in the Senate

so leftists will natch support the rich white couple who are hosing magnates…and if you sent a squad of oppo researches i bet you could find some unhappy campers in the McCaskill empire

but, akin is one of those dreaded common men…bitter clingera, peasants from the flyover county

r keller on October 15, 2012 at 3:57 PM

OT, but McCaskill is NO different.

They’re both maggots.

Schadenfreude on October 15, 2012 at 3:57 PM

A note about forgiveness…

Akin, so far as I know, has never sought forgiveness for being a selfish moron. Nevertheless, I absolve him from his idiocy and his self-centeredness, at least regarding the debt he owes me as a fellow pro-life individual.

(Try to imagine the upcoming senate confirmation hearing for a pro-life Supreme Court nominee, and the images and audio of Akin’s idiocy which are sure to run continually in our news sources… the media onslaught which will chill the feet of most pro-life senators… the media crediting Akin’s foolish statement to all those who support life, making the struggle for hearts and minds much more challenging…)

Even though Akin has never sought forgiveness for the damage he has done and will do if elected to the pro-life movement, I’ll also let that slide, if only for my own part, which is all I can do.

And I will hope that Todd Akin, if he wins the senate, will immediately step down in favor of a reasoned conservative who will not further poison the national dialogue.

Yes, it’s a ridiculous and unhappy position that Akin and the media have thrust upon us, and both Akin and the media will continue to muddy and obfuscate the dire circumstance we find ourselves in… even those who support Akin must at least acknowledge the reality we face…

In the meantime, I will hold my nose and cast my vote for Todd Akin.

shinty on October 15, 2012 at 4:00 PM

ericdondero on October 15, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Considering it. It’s all just so very depressing. I don’t want Akin as my senator and I don’t want McCaskill as my senator. I might vote Dine, might leave it blank, might vote Akin and swear up and down I did no such thing. I really don’t know.

alwaysfiredup on October 15, 2012 at 4:01 PM

McCaskill is pure evil. Maybe we would have to think about replacing her with the devil himself, but anyone else should be a no-brainer. And Akin certainly fits.

Adjoran on October 15, 2012 at 4:01 PM

No, but I have friends that do and read blogs written by people from MO. Also, the polls are pretty indicative that Akin is not dead, as he appeared to be in August. You’ll recall that he was in the 30s after the comment. I don’t even think the McCaskill campaign believes that she will win by 10+ points, which was what the polls were indicating 6 weeks ago.

Resist We Much on October 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM

RWM, hope this reaches you here, I’ll seek you out on QOTD tonight to follow up. The point of my question was to say that I didn’t think you were that close to MO politics (geographically) but – MY GOSH – I absolutely marvel at your command of the political landscape!

Your comments are not only interesting opinions — THEY’RE VALUABLE RESOURCES AS WELL.

Thank you!

The War Planner on October 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM

In the meantime, I will hold my nose and cast my vote for Todd Akin.

shinty on October 15, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Not to re-open old exchanges on the subject, but I find it hilarious that same people who have supported Romney and his extremely liberal views on a number of subjects are now, for some, reason are so against Akin. Yes, that includes those same GOP higher ups who have argued that Romney is “conservative” despite his FACTUAL RECORD proving he is not. And, yes, this includes a good number of posters on this site, a number of whom now, miraculously, have discovered just how much they love and respect true conservatism and arguing for McCaskill’s re-election. Amazing…

I’m just pointing out that no matter how bad are Akin’s views on rape, they are in no way enough to disqualify him from GOP support. Not by a mile, when openly liberals GOP “stalwarts” such as Graham, McLaim, McConnell, Boehner and others are doing real, factual damage to all of us.

I applaud Newt and DeMint for their support of Akin, they are the true conservatives out there who see the entire picture.

riddick on October 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM

riddick on October 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Most libertarians are straight-up Year of Love hippies. How libertarianism ever got conflated with real conservatism is beyond me.

pauljc on October 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM

riddick on October 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM

\

Nice high quality take down of the false conservatives.

astonerii on October 15, 2012 at 4:13 PM

pauljc on October 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM

They are just cheap liberals. Nothing particularly special about them over all. They are just liberals who do not want to pay for their extravagance.

astonerii on October 15, 2012 at 4:14 PM

riddick on October 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM

It’s really not hard.

This is a game, with extremely high stakes. If we lose this game, lots of really bad things happen. If you suck at this game, get out and make room for someone who doesn’t.

pauljc on October 15, 2012 at 4:16 PM

riddick on October 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Well said. To those still seriously hatin’ on Akin (from our side), what is the downside of picking up another Republican Senate seat?

Fallon on October 15, 2012 at 4:16 PM