NFL Week 6 open thread

posted at 11:01 am on October 14, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I suppose I’m lucky that the Pittsburgh Steelers lost on Thursday night, so that I don’t have to blow a pick this week on the Men of Steel.  They’re 2-3 now, which puts them in perfect position for a 16-game winning streak to take them into the Super Bowl.  Hopefully, the long week off will help them get back on track, but they’ll need to get hot soon in order to take the division.

So, that means I still need to do a pick-6 for this week.  Last week I ended up 4-2 to take my season record to 17-13, which coincidentally will be the final score in the Steelers-Packers Super Bowl next February.  (You laugh, but if I’m right ….)  Let’s pick some winners:

• Raiders at Falcons — One day, Atlanta will face a team mightier than they.  One day, they will have their winning streak snapped.  Today … is not that day.  Atlanta in a rout, 35-14.
  • Packers at Texans — The other great 2-3 team in the league goes up against the other undefeated squad in the NFL, and this one may end up being a surprise.  The Texans are for real, but the Packers are better than their record and getting awfully hungry by now.  I’ll take the Pack in an upset on the road, 31-28, maybe in OT.
  • Vikings at Redskins — The Vikings are doing surprisingly well, and even won a road game.  The Redskins haven’t won yet at home, and RGIII got his bell rung while learning that NFL QBs run out of bounds rather than take the hit.  He’s questionable, and so are the ‘Skins without him.  Vikings 27-20 over Washington.
  • Broncos at Chargers — Peyton Maning has 11 TDs and almost 1500 yards passing already.  He also has 3 losses, but it’s hard to argue that it’s his fault.  They have the 5th best passing attack and  are middle of the league in rushing.  The Chargers have a slightly better record but worse stats, especially being 20th against the pass.  I think Manning makes it work in San Diego with a big Monday night performance, beating the Bolts 33-27.
  • Chiefs at Buccaneers - If you don’t live in KC or TB, who cares?  All right, some of you do, and it’s fun to pick the Futility Bowl game every once in a while.  The line has Tampa by 5 as of Saturday afternoon, but I smell upset … upset fans in KC, that is.  With Brady Quinn filling in for Matt Cassel, I’d expect Tampa Bay to pick up their second win at home (and anywhere else), 24-17.
  • Giants at 49ers — This should be a terrific game, with two tough teams replaying last year’s tough NFC title game.  I know I should pick San Francisco, I know I’m courting disaster with a Giants pick — but I’ve got to go with my gut, and with Eli Manning.  Giants in a 28-24, final-drive squeaker.

Note: I’m not picking the Jets game because I owe Jazz Shaw a favor or two, and I don’t want to be blamed for a jinx when if the inevitable probable happens.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Before I hear from my fellow Hotairians, I’m completely disgusted with Jim Harbaugh and the coaching staff of the 49ers—-specifically platooning in a back-up QB, (Kaepernick) that imo, is stupid and disrupting any consistency Alex Smith might have. Harbaugh’s an idiot for doing this, along with his dumb red flag throwing. The 49ers aren’t playing the Buffalo Bills, these are the defending SB Champions, who do not fall for gimmick plays. If the management wants to keep this crap up, I hope they lose every frikken game.

Also, Manning is shredding the Niner’s passing defense even without a discernable running game.

(spits profusely!)

Rovin on October 14, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Rovin on October 14, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Tell us how you really feel, Hacksaw Rovin.

Christien on October 14, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Christien on October 14, 2012 at 6:09 PM

:( It’s just disgusting to not see the 49ers playing grind-it-out football. They are/were leading the league in rushing and who-ever came up with this “game plan” against a great team in the Giants should be looking for a different job next week. Maybe these guys are reading too much of their own headlines, and I’m almost glad they’re getting their butts kicked.

Rovin on October 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM

The 49ers aren’t playing the Buffalo Bills

Rovin on October 14, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Believe it or not, Buffalo is now ahead of Arizona, 16-13, with 13 minutes to go in the game. And they have the ball again.

Del Dolemonte on October 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Rovin on October 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Take heart. I predict the Niners will have the most rings, sooner than later. Also, hoping for an NLCS for the ages.

Christien on October 14, 2012 at 6:43 PM

C’mon Seahawks! (Sorry, Del)

Christien on October 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Del Dolemonte on October 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Don’t worry, the Bills always find a way to lose.

mythicknight on October 14, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Bills just knocked AZ QB Cobb out of the game. Still 16-13 Buffalo with 2:05 left.

Del Dolemonte on October 14, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Hard count ‘em and the call TO, ‘Hawks.

Christien on October 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Jay Feeley of AZ kicks a 61 yard FG with 1:09 left. BUF 16 AZ 16.

Del Dolemonte on October 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM

C’mon Seahawks! (Sorry, Del)

Christien on October 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Belichik is Comedy Gold on the sidelines.

Del Dolemonte on October 14, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I knew all this jets talk was a jinx just waiting to happen.

abobo on October 14, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Holy COW, RGIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Jay Feeley of AZ kicks a 61 yard FG with 1:09 left. BUF 16 AZ 16.

Del Dolemonte on October 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM

And then misses a chip shot to win the game, which now goes to The O.T.

Del Dolemonte on October 14, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Nekkid Bootleg in Seattle.

Del Dolemonte on October 14, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Mwahaha, suck it Brady!!

abobo on October 14, 2012 at 7:12 PM

C’mon, Seattle, FINISH HIM!

Christien on October 14, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Seahawks win over Patriots, 24-23. Today is glorious.

mythicknight on October 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Not a good weekend for Minnesota football :(

Oh well – at least Coach Kill is okay and out of the hospital.

gophergirl on October 14, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Holy COW, RGIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2012 at 7:11 PM

He was amazing today. What a game.

gophergirl on October 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Rovin on October 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM

lexhamfox on October 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM

…Yanks got skrewed on a call for us at 2nd base…but we would have won 1-0…so that’s okay…and the Lions won despite themselves…so it was a good rainy Sunday!

KOOLAID2 on October 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Rovin on October 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Sorry for the earlier non-post.

I’d rather have a game like this early in the season. Credit to the Giants for picking apart a great defense. 49rs need to sort out some things and hopefully there is time to do this. I hope they come back mentally tougher than they were today and expect great things from them in the future. Now over to China Basin… and we start rooting for the Giants.

lexhamfox on October 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM

lexhamfox on October 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Speaking of mental toughness, GO CARDINALS! 12 in ’12.

Christien on October 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM

lexhamfox on October 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Totally agree.

Now over to China Basin… and we start rooting for the Giants.

Just in case you haven’t noticed….there’s a Greenroom thread for this.

(BTW: did you catch some of the 49er fans at the end of the game chanting “let’s go Giants”? Wonder if the NY Giants were scratching their heads )

Rovin on October 14, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Lets see…..Space Jump or Cowboys vs Ravens…..

I get a sinking feeling from both.

BobMbx on October 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Space Jump for me. I had no problem with missing the first half of the Ravens’ game. That jump was way cooler. I’m a child of the Space Race and I doubt I’ll see anything that would compare to the Race or today’s jump for the rest of my life. Thanks a lot Obama. I’m sure Obamacare will be the best for all…NOT!

As for the Ravens-Cowboys game, It’s getting pretty interesting around here. The Cowboys certainly had enough to win but somehow they blew it. I’m thinking the Ravens only have to beat the Steelers once this season to retain top spot in the division.

Sorry Ed, the Steelers will not run the table (you laugh…but I know I’m right).

JohnnyD on October 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM

The Seahawks have beaten the Cowboys, Packers, and Patriots all at home. They have to be road warriors this week to kick the 49ers while they are down. Not bad for a young team with a rookie QB.

Mallard T. Drake on October 14, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Finally! The Packers get a pass interference call in their favor. And touchdown Jordy Nelson–the token white guy in their receiving corps (not corpse).

stukinIL4now on October 14, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Go Texans! Defense will get it done. 24-17 Texans!

texgal on October 14, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Four of Ed’s six picks are road teams, a flirt with disaster right there. And on one of them, Packers over Texans is a sure loss. Mr. Rodgers, meet Mr. Watt. Texans 34-24.

TXUS on October 14, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Sorry, Ed, it won’t be the Steelers or the Packers. You are right, however, that one day Atlanta will face a mightier team than they. And you’re right that day ain’t today. That day will be Super Bowl XLVII and the mightier team the Houston Texans. But tonight, we squeeze cheese!

cartooner on October 14, 2012 at 11:32 AM

When the Texans beat the Packers today, they will still get no respect. That’s okay. I love rooting for the underdog (unless it’s Obama.)

jazzuscounty on October 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM

You guys may want to get your deposit back from the engraver, the super bowl tropy dosen’t look like an absolute lock for the Texans anymore. It’s not hard to go 5-0 when you play crap teams.

Green_Bay_Packers on October 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Mallard T. Drake on October 14, 2012 at 8:53 PM

The Seahawks lost to the Packers. The NFL just dosen’t aknowledge it.

Green_Bay_Packers on October 15, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I think you were Prescient Ed, given the way the game turned out. Having Aaron’s picture throwing a pass was absolutely how this game turned out. Go Pack Go!

Webrider on October 15, 2012 at 12:32 AM