Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on October 13, 2012 by Allahpundit

There are two possibilities. Either the intelligence community had a detailed picture of what happened in Benghazi that night and failed to share it with other administration officials and the White House. Or the intelligence community provided that detailed intelligence picture to others in the administration, and Obama, Biden, Clinton, Susan Rice, and others ignored and manipulated the intelligence to tell a politically convenient—but highly inaccurate—story.

If it’s the former, DNI James Clapper should be fired. If it’s the latter, what happened in Benghazi—and what happened afterwards—will go down as one of the worst scandals in recent memory.

It seems far more likely that it’s the latter. After all, is it conceivable that White House officials at the highest levels were not actively engaged in interagency meetings to determine what happened in Benghazi? Is it conceivable that intelligence officials, knowing there was no evidence at all of a link between the film and Benghazi, would fail to tell the president and his colleagues that their claims were unfounded? Is it conceivable that somehow the latest intelligence on the 9/11 attacks was left out of Obama’s intelligence briefings in the days after 9/11? It would have been a priority for every professional at the CIA, the State Department, and the National Security Council to discover exactly what happened in Benghazi as soon as possible. Is it conceivable that the information wasn’t passed to the most senior figures in the administration?

No, it’s really not. And therefore, the fact that these senior figures misled us—and still mislead us—is a scandal of the first order.

***

The administration desperately needs a scapegoat to keep this scandal as far from the White House as possible. And that is why I think that, beyond Biden’s fact-challenged statements, the more consequential thing he did last night was to try to make the intelligence community (IC) the scapegoat (and I am not the only one who picked up on this). Based on this interview with Obama’s deputy campaign manager, the fingering of the IC appears to be a deliberate, coordinated strategy by the politicos — and it is very risky.

First, as numerous fact-checkers have already pointed out, the administration did not merely go with whatever the IC told them. They went with whatever was the most politically useful story at the time. The Obama campaign keeps complaining about how Romney-Ryan have politicized this issue, but in fact the Obama campaign has played this as a political issue from the very start.

Second, the IC can fight back. Frustration has been mounting for years within the IC over the way the administration has politicized intelligence. At some point, that frustration could bubble over into retaliatory leaks and damaging revelations.

***

Former CIA Director Gen. Michael Hayden has joined the chorus of GOP voices slamming Vice President Biden’s comments on the White House’s inconsistent explanation of the Sept. 11 assault on the American Consulate in Libya…

“It is clear that any failure was not on the part of the intelligence community, but on the part of White House decision-makers who should have listened to, and acted on, available intelligence,” Hayden said in a joint statement with former Homeland Security chief Michael Chertoff issued Friday.

“Blaming those who put their lives on the line is not the kind of leadership this country needs,” Hayden added.

***

It sure looks like Vice President Joe Biden put the blame on Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, his potential 2016 rival, for the security failings Benghazi. “We weren’t told they wanted more security,” Biden declared. White House Press Secretary Jay Carney backed Biden up, saying it’s a State Department (i.e. Hillary) issue.

Will Hillary now retaliate and protect herself by leaking word that the White House did too know? Will her husband continue to tour the country trying to pull Obama’s bacon out of the fire (as he did at the convention) even as Obama points a finger at his wife? Will they all cut some sort of deal in which Hillary agrees to take the fall and Bill soldiers on … in exchange for, what? Have they already cut a deal? Is the White House going to try to hang its hat on the idea that Obama and Biden didn’t know, but maybe their staffs knew? Will that really fly? Aren’t they responsible for their staffs? Will the staffs fight back?

***

To “politicize” means “to give a political character to.” It is a reductive term, capturing the peculiarly shrunken horizons of politics: “Gee, they nuked Israel. D’you think that will hurt us in Florida?” So media outlets fret that Benghazi could be “bad” for Obama — by which they mean he might be hitting the six-figure lecture circuit four years ahead of schedule. But for Chris Stevens, Sean Smith, Glen Doherty, and Tyrone Woods, it’s real bad. They’re dead, over, gonesville. Given that Obama and Secretary Clinton refer to Stevens pneumatically as “Chris,” as if they’ve known him since third grade, why would they dishonor the sacrifice of their close personal friend by peddling an utterly false narrative as to why he died? You want “politicization”? Secretary Clinton linked the YouTube video to the murder of her colleagues even as the four caskets lay alongside her at Andrews Air Force Base — even though she had known for days that it had nothing to do with it. It’s weird enough that politicians now give campaign speeches to returning coffins. But to conscript your “friend”’s corpse as a straight man for some third-rate electoral opportunism is surely as shriveled and worthless as “politicization” gets…

In the days before the attack Joe Biden had been peddling his Obama campaign slogan that “bin Laden is dead and General Motors is alive.” The first successful terrorist attack on U.S. sovereign territory since 9/11, and on the very anniversary and by al-Qaeda-linked killers, was not helpful to the Obama team. And so the nature of the event had to be “politicized”: Look, over there — an Islamophobic movie! “Greater love hath no man than this,” quoth the president at Chris Stevens’ coffin, “that a man lay down his life for his friends.” Smaller love hath no man than Obama’s, than to lay down his “friend” for a couple of points in Ohio.

***

***

***

***

Via Mediaite.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 10

thatsafactjack on October 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM

emailed you..dont you know your suppose to be at my beck and call? lol
haha..no cali peeps showed up..dead thread..you would have made some interesting points..Pambi and I at least added to it. :)

bazil9 on October 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

evening 22204 — gave me a chuckle there :)

CoffeeLover on October 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

You forgot me..I will take note. ;)

bazil9 on October 13, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Howdy b9, how are you this fine evening :)

22044 on October 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

UGH I’ve been sick all day. Good thing it’s been rainy and cold so I don’t feel bad being in my sweats all day.

gophergirl on October 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Good evening to you, 22044…and, yes, I always got an “A” on the “what doesn’t belong” tests. In your example, it’s kind of like putting an igloo in the middle of a surf shop.

Resist We Much on October 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Hi all,
Trashed last night as if no one could tell. :)
All good(for me)

C’mon Bill smoke that bacon, but don’t inhale.

OTTO on October 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

“Daily Breakdown: Romney’s Best Polling Day Yet

Resist We Much on October 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM”

And today was a disaster, lol.

gumbyandpokey on October 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Issa was brave to go on that panel.

AshleyTKing on October 13, 2012 at 9:08 PM

22044 on October 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Good evening to you. Due to the rain, it’s a night of Buffalo Wild Wings take out, and old Simpsons for me.

wargamer6 on October 13, 2012 at 9:08 PM

@ppppolls: Our full Ohio poll, which finds Barack Obama leading Mitt Romney 51-46, is now posted: http://t.co/YPBUbDiV

mrscullen on October 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM

-John Kasich has a 42/41 approval spread and leads a hypothetical Democratic opponent 45-42.

-John Boehner’s very unpopular in his home state with a 33/46 approval rating. Nevertheless Republicans lead the generic Congressional ballot 44-42.

That poll is crap.

Valkyriepundit on October 13, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Total and complete. You would think they would consider their reputation by now.

cozmo on October 13, 2012 at 9:08 PM

22044 on October 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM

You forgot me..I will take note. ;)

bazil9 on October 13, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Forgot me, too.

And I have an excellent memory for slights real or imagined.

GrannyDee on October 13, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Sean Smith’s mother is on Justice with Judge Jeanine right now. So tragic. My heart goes out to this woman.

Philly on October 13, 2012 at 9:09 PM

And today was a disaster, lol.

gumbyandpokey on October 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Now, why would you, someone whom I just defended, someone who wants Romney to win, LOL?

Lanceman on October 13, 2012 at 9:09 PM

=======================================================

The COLD WAR Might be in progress!

Libya Fallout Gives Rise to Obama-Clinton Feud
13 Oct 2012, 1:33 AM PDT
************************

A nasty rift has opened up between President Barack Obama, former President Bill Clinton, and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton over the fallout from the terrorist attacks on the U.S. consulate in Libya that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens. This feud may undermine and threaten Obama’s reelection chances.

Obama and Clinton both do not want to be held responsible for the negligence before and the cover-up after the Libya attacks. Clinton biographer Ed Klein on Friday reported that Bill Clinton, sensing Obama’s political team wants to pin legal and political blame on the State Department and Hillary Clinton, has been working on doomsday and contingency scenarios “to avoid having Benghazi become a stain on her political fortunes should she decide to run for president in 2016.”(More……..)
====================================================

canopfor on October 13, 2012 at 9:09 PM

And we can expect to see reports of it every day on the morning and evening news.

Beginning November 7th.

Flora Duh on October 13, 2012 at 9:09 PM

cozmo on October 13, 2012 at 9:08 PM

It’s PPP. They actually polled Big Bird’s favorability in MN this week.

wargamer6 on October 13, 2012 at 9:10 PM

It looks like the PPP poll split is 40D/36R/25I. Isn’t that significantly under sampling independents?

mrscullen on October 13, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Ugh,I’m still on Page#1…dang it!

canopfor on October 13, 2012 at 9:10 PM

22044 on October 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM

you included gumbyandpokey but not me.I’m mortified.

gerrym51 on October 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM

gumbyandpokey on October 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

idisVA

Flora Duh on October 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM

gophergirl on October 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Feel better, gotta get it up for RGIII!
GO VIKINGS!

OTTO on October 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM

It’s PPP. They actually polled Big Bird’s favorability in MN this week.

wargamer6 on October 13, 2012 at 9:10 PM

We’re actually more a cookie monster state so I’m sure BB didn’t do well.

gophergirl on October 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM

one of these things is not like the other things
one of these things doesn’t belong

22044 on October 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Oh goodie! A puzzle!

Let’s see…does it start with a “g?” And end with a “Y?” Is it sitting in mommie’s basement? Does it…have the index finger of one hand in its nose, and the index finger of the other hand up its patoot, waiting for someone to yell “switch?”

Am I getting warm?

predator on October 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM

gophergirl on October 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Hope you feel better soon gg.

Flora Duh on October 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM

GrannyDee on October 13, 2012 at 9:09 PM

good to “see” you too GrannyDee :)

I tried to add a note at the bottom to include anyone I missed. :)

22044 on October 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM

bazil9 on October 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Good evening, young lady; how we doing?

massrighty on October 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM

GrannyDee on October 13, 2012 at 9:05 PM

That’s only the text .. Video’s available to the Mitt team ! :-)

pambi on October 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Feel better, gotta get it up for RGIII!
GO VIKINGS!

OTTO on October 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I never get sick so I’m a horrible sick person.

My Gophers did not do well today :(

Vikings need to win tomorrow to salvage the football weekend.

gophergirl on October 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM

This should be in a Romney ad, in whatever form.

More than 500 economists, 5 Nobel laureates back Romney’s economic strategy

jimver on October 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Hope you feel better soon gg.

Flora Duh on October 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Thanks :)

gophergirl on October 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM

No one died at watergate! The Obama lies about Benghazi and Biden’s deliberate lies Thursday night should be a bigger scandal than Nixon

Yeah. This is why this party should never have considered Gingrich for its candidate. He can’t help but overplay a hand.

JohnGalt23 on October 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM

gumbyandpokey on October 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Your beloved Obama’s crashing on Intrade, that site you love so much.

wargamer6 on October 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I, for one, can’t wait to see what working class and middle class voters will do once Mitt Romney first announces that middle class families will have to get rid of their home interest or student loan deduction. I predict that it will not go well.

libfreeordie on October 13, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I for one have lived under BO’s reign-as a middle class person myself..he has done tremendous harm and damage. 4 more years and it wouldnt just not go well..but be the nail in the coffin.
I work in the insurance field..that alone has been a good time. I am handing out 20% + renewals to my small businesses across the board. Including tons of new regs and laws. The middle class is bleeding..a trip to the grocery store, health premiums,gas, energy for their home..if they still own one-no jobs-college graduates stuck with nothing. That is just the tip of the iceberg. But keep going…

bazil9 on October 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM

predator on October 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM

you got a picture of him too? / :D

gerrym51 on October 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM

howdy gerrym51. man I’m getting called out for typing a “mass greeting”, :)

check out the disclaimer at the bottom.

22044 on October 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM

TXUS on October 13, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Since you ask, I’ll tell you. I’m not comfortable with most of the acronyms used these days. I would much prefer that people take the time to write out full sentences to express themselves. I love the English language. It is incredibly expressive and affords us the luxury of saying anything we wish and in a multitude of ways with varying shading and depth of meaning.

However, I am also a realist and the language used on blogs and various other means of digital communication has evolved to serve only this purpose. I would never, in a written letter, use “lol” in any way, unless I was discussing the usage of the acronym itself. I use it here because it is a generally accepted means of expressing laughter or, at least, a chuckle, or a smile. In other words, amusement.

I don’t wish to seem stiff or verbose when posting to others here. My goal is simply to communicate effectively, and make others feel as comfortable as possible communicating with me. Unless, of course, they are being unpleasant, then it is my goal to make them understand that their unpleasantness is neither effective, nor appreciated.

Now, I’m drinking some very good, home made elderberry liqueur. It is 100 proof and extraordinarily tasty. You’ll forgive me if I get back to that not so guilty pleasure. :)

thatsafactjack on October 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Where are the calls for Impeachment?

There are none.

Why? Why is Mitt not calling for a full investigation and promising one if elected? A new President will not change the corruption throughout Government.

Steveangell on October 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM

If I have my way, the Kennedy Space Center will be re-named the Nixon Space Center.

Lanceman on October 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Doughboy on October 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Philly I am watching the interview with Sean Smith’s Mom. Very sad. Mom says she doesn’t trust any of them. The feeling she gets is that not one of them cares…Obama, Panetta, Clinton, Rice, Biden, etc.

President hugged her then looked away….someone pass me a tissue.

CoffeeLover on October 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Obama and Clinton both do not want to be held responsible…
canopfor on October 13, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Nothing new!

This marriage of “keep your enemies close” is heading for divorce.

OTTO on October 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Where are the calls for Impeachment?

There are none.

Steveangell on October 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Who you gonna get to impeach black Jesus? Scared Republicans?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lanceman on October 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM

bazil9 on October 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Good evening, young lady; how we doing?

massrighty on October 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Mass! Long time no see!
How are you good man?

bazil9 on October 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM

C’mon Bill smoke that bacon, but don’t inhale.

OTTO on October 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Bill Clinton has even gone so far as to seek legal advice about Hillary’s liability in terms of cables and memos that might be subpoenaed by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, which this week launched an investigation into the deaths of Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans. The committee will also examine the apparent Obama administration cover-up that followed the Benghazi attack.

Read more: http://freedomoutpost.com/2012/10/obama-throws-hillary-under-the-bus-clintons-furious/#ixzz29EQmBUhE

pambi on October 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Seems = Dems

Damn auto correct!

Doughboy on October 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Grrr. Stupid Obama ad on the telly. Mute do your work!

22044 on October 13, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Here are the State Department Briefings,that I have bookymarked!!

Q&A,by the media!!
=================

Briefing by Senior Administration Officials to Update Recent Events in Libya
****************

Special Briefing
Office of the Spokesperson
Via Teleconference
Washington, DC
September 12, 2012
******************

SENIOR ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL ONE: Thank you, Operator, and thanks to all of our journalists for joining us on this very, very difficult day. We thought it was important to give you a little bit more information about what we knew when we knew it to help shape your understanding of the tragic events in Benghazi. Here with me I will hereafter be Senior Administration Official Number One. That’s [title withheld]. I also have with me [Senior Administration Official Two], hereafter Senior Administration Official Number Two. And we also have [Senior Administration Official Three], hereafter Senior Administration Official Number Three.

Let me just give you some framing points. First of all, we want to make clear that we are still here today operating within the confusion of first reports. Many details of what happened in Benghazi are still unknown or unclear. The account we’re going to give you endeavors to reconstruct the events of last night to the best of our ability now. And again, this reflects our current accounting of events. These are first reports, and so the facts could very well change as we get a better understanding.

Let me also give you a little better understanding about our office conditions in Benghazi. The facility that we are working in is an interim one. We originally acquired the property before the fall of Qadhafi. It includes a main building and several ancillary buildings, and then there was also an annex a little bit further away.

So let me give you a little bit of the chronology to the best of our knowledge. Again, the times are likely to change as it becomes a little bit more precise, but this is how we’ve been able to reconstruct what we have from yesterday.

At approximately 4 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time yesterday, which was about 10 p.m. in Libya, the compound where our office is in Benghazi began taking fire from unidentified Libyan extremists. By about 4:15, the attackers gained access to the compound and began firing into the main building, setting it on fire. The Libyan guard force and our mission security personnel responded. At that time, there were three people inside the building: Ambassador Stevens, one of our regional security officers, and Information Management Officer Sean Smith. They became separated from each other due to the heavy, dark smoke while they were trying to evacuate the burning building. The Regional Security Officer made it outside, and then he and other security personnel returned into the burning building in an attempt to rescue Chris and Sean. At that time, they found Sean. He was already dead, and they pulled him from the building. They were unable, however, to locate Chris before they were driven from the building due to the heavy fire and smoke and the continuing small arms fire.

At about 4:45 our time here in Washington, U.S. security personnel assigned to the mission annex tried to regain the main building, but that group also took heavy fire and had to return to the mission annex. At about 5:20, U.S. and Libyan security personnel made another attempt and at that time were able to regain the main building and they were able to secure it. Then, due to continued small arms fire, they evacuated the rest of the personnel and safe havened them in the nearby annex.

The mission annex then came under fire itself at around 6 o’clock in the evening our time, and that continued for about two hours. It was during that time that two additional U.S. personnel were killed and two more were wounded during that ongoing attack.

At about 8:30 p.m. our time here in Washington, so now 2 o’clock in the morning in Libya, Libyan security forces were able to assist us in regaining control of the situation. At some point in all of this – and frankly, we do not know when – we believe that Ambassador Stevens got out of the building and was taken to a hospital in Benghazi. We do not have any information what his condition was at that time. His body was later returned to U.S. personnel at the Benghazi airport.

Later that evening, we were able to bring our chartered aircraft from Tripoli into Benghazi to evacuate all of our Benghazi personnel back to Tripoli. This evacuation, which had to occur in a couple of planeloads, included all of our American Benghazi personnel, including the three wounded, and the remains of our fallen colleagues. They are now in the process – that same staff – of being evacuated to Germany. The staff that is well is going to stay in Europe on standby for a while while we assess the security situation in the coming period. The wounded will be treated in Germany, and the remains will come home, and we’ll advise you of when that will be as soon as we know.

In the meantime, we have taken our Embassy in Tripoli down to emergency staffing levels. We have reduced the staff down to what we call emergency staffing levels. And we have requested increased support from the Libyans while we assess the security situation.

I would also like to advise you that last night, all of our diplomatic posts around the world were ordered to review their security posture and to take all necessary steps to enhance it if those were deemed necessary. I’d like to now turn it over to Senior Administration Official Number Three for some remarks on what his agency has been up to.

OPERATOR: Ladies and gentlemen, if you would like to ask a question, please press * then 1 on your touchtone phone. You will hear a tone indicating you have been placed in queue. You may remove yourself from queue at any time by pressing the # key. If you are using a speakerphone, please pick up the handset before pressing the numbers. Once again, if you would like to ask a question, please press * then 1 at this time.

And the first question is from Elise Labott with CNN. Please go ahead.

QUESTION: Well, I have a couple of questions, if you would. And again, all of our condolences on what happened today. I was wondering if you can talk about now how – I know Secretary Clinton said that this would not affect how the U.S. dealt with the Libyans, and that you would move forward. But certainly, it must make you start to think about any precipitous rush to support groups in any other countries such as Syria or the like because of the uncertainty of who is on the ground.

And then I was wondering if you could talk a little bit more about Chris Stevens’ personal security and how his personal detail could have been separated from him. I mean, his personal detail’s number one responsibility is to protect their package, and so it just seemed – I just would like more clarity on how he got out of the building and then went back to find him. Why didn’t he just keep staying in the building looking for him? Thank you.

SENIOR ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL ONE: Let me start with the last question first, Elise. I think you can understand that I’m not going to go into detail about how his security detail was organized. I think in the accounting that I gave, I made clear that security personnel were endeavoring to get him out of the building when they got separated by the incredibly thick smoke and fire – if you’ve seen the pictures from the building you can have some sense of how awful the conditions were – and that they then turned right back around, got more help, and went back in to look for him. So this was really a quite – a heroic effort.

With regard to your larger question, as the Secretary said very clearly today, we are as committed today as we have ever been to a free and stable Libya. That is still in America’s interest. And we are going to continue to work very strongly to help them have the future that they want and they deserve. I would simply note how quickly and how strongly senior members of the Libyan government came forward to condemn this attack, to offer all support to us.

I’d also like to underscore that it was Libyan security forces that stood with ours in defending our buildings. We also had some – one of the local militias who is friendly to the Embassy came to assist as well. And I think that really speaks to the relationship that we’ve built with Libya. Thank you.

OPERATOR: Andrea Mitchell with NBC News is next. Please go ahead.

QUESTION: Thank you for doing this and especially at such a terrible time for all of you. Can you expand on the regular security for the Ambassador? I know you don’t usually talk about security, but you can imagine how people want these details now in terms of, was it diplomatic security? Were they all RSOs? How long had he been in Benghazi? Give us a little bit more of his movements that day.

And secondly, there’s a lot of reporting now on this being linked to a terror attack, an organized terror attack – possibly al-Qaida sympathetic or al-Qaida linked. Can you speak to that?

SENIOR ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL THREE: Operator, is the call ongoing?

SENIOR ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL ONE: I’m sorry, it looks like I had a – I was on mute there for a while. I was going on and on on mute. I apologize. So Andrea, to your first question: Frankly, we are not in a position to speak any further to the perpetrators of this attack. It was clearly a complex attack. We’re going to have to do a full investigation. We are committed to working with the Libyans both on the investigation and to ensure that we bring the perpetrators to justice. The FBI is already committed to assisting in that, but I just – we’re – it’s just too early to speak to who they were and if they might have been otherwise affiliated beyond Libya.

With regard to Chris’s trip to Benghazi, as you know, he made regular and frequent trips to Benghazi so that he could check up on developments in the east. You know that he had been our representative – the Secretary’s representative and the President’s, to the Transitional National Council before the fall of Qadhafi and had spent a lot of time in Benghazi and built deep contacts there. So this was one of his regular visits that he made periodically.

With regard to the security arrangements, I think you will understand that we never talk in detail about how our security is arranged. And we particularly don’t talk about security arrangements for – personal security arrangements for senior level personnel.

What I can tell you is that security in Benghazi included a local guard force outside of the compound on which we rely, which is similar to the way we are postured all over the world. We had a physical perimeter barrier, obviously. And then we had a robust American security presence inside the compound, including a strong component of regional security officers. But I’m not going to go any further than that on the specifics.

Next question, operator.

Washington, DC
September 14, 2012

=====================================================

canopfor on October 1, 2012 at 10:22 AM

canopfor on October 13, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Steveangell on October 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Because he doesn’t want to make a stupid move with victory within his grasp?

But, we all know that is what you are hoping for.

cozmo on October 13, 2012 at 9:18 PM

And today was a disaster, lol.

gumbyandpokey on October 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

My link WAS from TODAY, ya bloody wanker!

Wow! PPP didn’t even make the list of the “Most Accurate polls from 2008 presidential election”!

Ouch!

Resist We Much on October 13, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Who you gonna get to impeach black Jesus? Scared Republicans?

Lanceman on October 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I add to the BWHAHAHAHAHAHA. The have cowered for the last few years..with the exception of a few.

bazil9 on October 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM

gophergirl….feel better quickly!

CoffeeLover on October 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Too many Obama ads on local TV here in Chicago.

wargamer6 on October 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM

“That PPP poll is a farce. The D/R/I breakdown is 40/36/24. Gee, you think way over sampling Seems and way undersampling indies might just result in an Obama lead?

Doughboy on October 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM”

Even if you narrow the split a bit, Obama still leads.

The early voting advantage for Obama is what will carry the day again. How the Romney campaign can let the same thing cripple them that destroyed McCain in 08 is bizarre.

gumbyandpokey on October 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM

gophergirl….feel better quickly!

CoffeeLover on October 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Thanks!

gophergirl on October 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM

This whole discussion is nonsense. Everyone pretends they did not hear THE STATE DEPARTMENT knew the truth the entire time, at high levels. In the Tac Room. Charlene Lamb heard and saw the entire matter from her desk in Washington DC.

The testimony of Ms. Lamb was equally damaging.

She noted that primary security duty was provided by post-revolutionary troops housed within the Embassy compound, “…The fourth building on the compound, the one closest to the gate, served as the barracks for members of the Libyan 17th February Brigade who were on the compound round the clock..”

Total site security thus fell to five Diplomatic Security agents and the Libyan 17th February Brigade, which at the time of the attack was comprised of three troops.

Thus in the face of a constant and increasing threat, on September 11, 2011 the U.S. Embassy was defended by a skeleton crew.

Lamb was on the telephone with embassy staff at the time of the attack, thus she was able to provide a running, real-time account – the State Dept. knew from the get go exactly what happened as it took place, casting great doubt on the propriety of Secretary Clinton pointing to an amateurish, poorly watched video as the cause of the deadly affair.

In the first minutes of the attack [9:40 pm, local time] the minimal fortification enhancements were quickly breached by the first wave of the assault.

“…The attack began at approximately 9:40 pm local time. Diplomatic Security agents inside the compound heard loud voices outside the walls, followed by gunfire and an explosion. Dozens of attackers then launched a full-scale assault that was unprecedented in its size and intensity. They forced their way through the pedestrian gate, and used diesel fuel to set fire to the Libyan 17th February Brigade members’ barracks, and then proceeded towards the main building…”

The attackers easily cut through the Embassy’s flimsy defenses. Did it not occur to State Dept. security officials, such as Ms. Lamb that such a high profile site should have been hardened enough to be able to withstand a military assault instead of being designed to resist simple civil unrest.

The 17th February Brigade was quickly brushed aside, leaving two dead, all doubts of their loyalty instantly erased.

According to Lamb’s timeline, the fight lasted less than 90 minutes. The Embassy’s defenders simply had no chance of resisting the much larger well armed, al-Qaeda directed, military force. Demonstrating the mismatch in firepower, the attackers employed, mortars, RPGs and various other weapons. They also had containers filled with diesel fuel with which the compound was quickly set ablaze.

Charlene Lamb is the Deputy Secretary of State. She is Hillary’s right arm. No word where Hillary was. Obama was in bed AFTER news reached him of the staged attack. Ms. Lamb went on to say she repeatedly had her staff try to get the WH to do something. They refused.

pat on October 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM

C’mon Bill smoke that bacon, but don’t inhale.

OTTO on October 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

OTTO:Lol,and,when handling bacon,remember the safety tip:

Caution:

********Slippery When Wet ****************(sarc)!:)

canopfor on October 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Don’t get ahead of yourself. It would be easier if he carried Ohio. I just don’t get how 12% of GOP can vote for Obama.

mrscullen on October 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I’m not getting ahead of myself — but thanks for your “concern.”

Ever heard of SEIU or KOs? Because that’s who paid for this poll.

But more importantly, ever heard of a Maginot Line — because that is what Ohio is for Obama.

Dark Star on October 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Too many Obama ads on local TV here in Chicago.

wargamer6 on October 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I haven’t seen a Barry ad in weeks. Sure seen a lot of pro-Romney PAC ads though.

gophergirl on October 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Too many Obama ads on local TV here in Chicago.

wargamer6 on October 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Why does he even have ads there? Certainly not for the Indiana spillover.

cozmo on October 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Ryan/Romney closing in Obama in Minnesota poll!

Obama: 47%
Romney: 43%

No wonder Jill Biden is campaigning in Minnesota this week.

sentinelrules on October 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM

feel better gophergirl.

22044 on October 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Trey Gowdy coming up on Justice. I’d like to see him as AG under Romney/Ryan. He’d clean up the mess at DOJ.

CoffeeLover on October 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Too many Obama ads on local TV here in Chicago.

wargamer6 on October 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM

For Christ’s sake, why? Illinois, Wisconsin should be a LOCK for CHICAGO Jesus.

Lanceman on October 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM

22044 on October 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM

You forgot me..I will take note. ;)

bazil9 on October 13, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Forgot me, too.

And I have an excellent memory for slights real or imagined.

GrannyDee on October 13, 2012 at 9:09 PM

lol..as do I. You would be at the top of my list..but I am biased. :)

22044
was teasing you. Good evening bud.

bazil9 on October 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM

“PS: Did you see the front page of the Columbus Dispatch today talking about Romney’s “surge” (its word, not mine) in Ohio (not just the Columbus area)?

Resist We Much on October 13, 2012 at 9:18 PM”

Yep, and the PPP poll takes away that “story” and becomes the new momentum meme.

BTW, it looks like Biden did Obama a world of good with his debate performance. Ohio voters clearly thought he won.

gumbyandpokey on October 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM

bazil9 on October 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Bazil, how are you, my forever and ever friend?

Doing well, I hope.

GrannyDee on October 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM

GG-be a good patient and rest up.
rest,hydrate and snuggle up.

bazil9 on October 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM

“Ryan/Romney closing in Obama in Minnesota poll!

Obama: 47%
Romney: 43%

No wonder Jill Biden is campaigning in Minnesota this week.

sentinelrules on October 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM”

Good Grief, that’s a Republican poll.

This nonsense is why I have to be here.

gumbyandpokey on October 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM

thatsafactjack on October 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Bless yer pea-pickin’ heart !! (meant in the best way possible !!)
I had a night with my bro’s homemade blueberry wine, and know exactly where you are !!
What WILL we do on Nov 6 ??????

pambi on October 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Dark Star on October 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM

So many good lines are lost to those who are ignorant of history. That went so far over gumby’s head, he never felt the breeze.

cozmo on October 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM

gumbyandpokey on October 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM

How you can keep spinning when Obama’s tanking is bizarre.

wargamer6 on October 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I never get sick so I’m a horrible sick person.

My Gophers did not do well today :(

Vikings need to win tomorrow to salvage the football weekend.

gophergirl on October 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Sorry to hear about the Gophers.
I’m sick all the time and so never get “real sick”, but I’m a big baby when it happens anyway. Thank God my wife loves me in sickness and health. One vow I really am appreciative of. Chicken soup…yum
Get yourself some hot cocoa and chicken soup, maybe a shot of Khalua…in the cocoa!

OTTO on October 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I call bullsh!t. gutmeandpokeme is a conservative. He said so!

Lanceman on October 13, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Hmmm…he did say that…

22044 on October 13, 2012 at 9:24 PM

sentinelrules on October 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Minnesota hats off to thee
To our colors true we shall ever be
Firm and strong
United are we!

gophergirl on October 13, 2012 at 9:24 PM

How are you good man?

bazil9 on October 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM

We are all well here, and no complaints. Enjoying a quiet Sat nite at home with Mrs. massrighty. Read upthread you get to share the joy of insurance rate hikes w/customers. Fun gig, huh?

A friend at church does benefit change presentations for a big power company. She says people are so shell-shocked by changes, and cost increases that they even rail against changes that are good for them, now!

massrighty on October 13, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Bazil, how are you, my forever and ever friend?

Doing well, I hope.

GrannyDee on October 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Ive been better..to be honest..but trying to be positive.
And you Friend?

bazil9 on October 13, 2012 at 9:24 PM

bazil9 on October 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I just took a look at that CA thread. Nothing can be done to restore the state you and I loved. However, if they don’t stop spending $22 billion/year on illegal aliens alone…hemorrhaging middle class and tax payers…. and expecting the other 49 states to bail them out as ‘too big to fail’ … there won’t be an LA or a CA for them to worry about. :(

thatsafactjack on October 13, 2012 at 9:24 PM

gumbyandpokey on October 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM

HAHA now you’re pushing a martyr complex? You really are a pathetic loser!

wargamer6 on October 13, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Hope you feel better soon gg.

Flora Duh on October 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Thanks :)

gophergirl on October 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM

gophergirl:Get better girl,we need ya in da trenchs,I had
a nasty cold last week,ick!:)

canopfor on October 13, 2012 at 9:24 PM

FoxNews: “Yet a congressional source told Fox News that CIA Director David Petraeus, during a briefing with members of the House Intelligence Committee three days after the attack, also espoused the view that Benghazi was an out-of-control demonstration prompted by the YouTube video. According to the source, this was “shocking” to some members who were present and saw the same intelligence pointing toward a terrorist attack.”

VorDaj on October 13, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Who you gonna get to impeach black Jesus? Scared Republicans?

Lanceman on October 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Why Senator Gumby N. Pokey of course.

RickB on October 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I was reviewing the archives from this site from back in 2008 and came across the following:

…it’s pretty evident that lack of turnout from Republican voters doomed McCain. Obama only got 400k extra votes than Kerry got in 2004, but McCain got over 7m fewer votes. That’s consistent with the total lack of enthusiasm about the candidate.

Outlander on November 5, 2008 at 11:34 AM

I found the stat that Obama received in 2008 only 400K more votes than Kerry did in 2004 to be amazing. Obama’s going to see a significant bleed off this year. Also, I believe there is a reasonable chance that Romney may equal the number of Bush voters in 2004 — possibly even exceed the Bush votes with a greater share of independents.

mpthompson on October 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Too many Obama ads on local TV here in Chicago.

wargamer6 on October 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Watched some BTN football games today. There were a lot of O ads.

predator on October 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Lanceman on October 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM

It’s that stupid “chinese tires” ad. Either way, if he has to saturate his home state with ads, it’s funny.

wargamer6 on October 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Good Grief, that’s a Republican poll.

This nonsense is why I have to be here.

gumbyandpokey on October 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM

And PPP is a Democrat poll.

If it’s nonsense, why is Jill Biden being sent to Minnesota to campaign there?

sentinelrules on October 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM

feel better gophergirl.

22044 on October 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Thanks!

GG-be a good patient and rest up.
rest,hydrate and snuggle up.

bazil9 on October 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I have my squishy oversized sweatshirt on and my snuggly blanket. Now I just need some hot chocolate.

Sorry to hear about the Gophers.

OTTO on October 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Off to get a mug right now. Just read our coach had another seizure after the game. SIGH – our poor football team just can’t catch a break

gophergirl on October 13, 2012 at 9:26 PM

And PPP is a Democrat poll.

If it’s nonsense, why is Jill Biden being sent to Minnesota to campaign there?

sentinelrules on October 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Because shut up! That’s why!

-Gumballs

wargamer6 on October 13, 2012 at 9:26 PM

pambi on October 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I’ve already bought several cases of good champagne and invited several friends and colleagues over to celebrate. We’ll be popping the corks when Romney’s victory is announced and partying like its New Years Eve! :)

thatsafactjack on October 13, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Hang in there, gg. Get well soon. *Hot tea and honey, a few shots of whiskey, and wrap yourself in multiple blankets. You’ll sweat it out.*

predator on October 13, 2012 at 9:27 PM

This nonsense is why I have to be here.

gumbyandpokey on October 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I think I speak for everybody on this board when I say – no you really don’t need to be here. We are just fine without you.

gophergirl on October 13, 2012 at 9:27 PM

gumbyandpokey on October 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Wrong.

Ohio voters thought it was a draw on the Friday sample, while they thought Biden won on the Saturday sample.

Meaning that the whole reason why Obama is leading is due to the Saturday sample, which is a given that Republicans don’t poll so well on weekends.

sentinelrules on October 13, 2012 at 9:28 PM

SIGH – our poor football team just can’t catch a break

gophergirl on October 13, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Don’t feel bad. Ours can’t catch a football.

Or throw one. Or run with one. Or take one away from the other team. Or…no, I’ll stop now. This is depressing.

predator on October 13, 2012 at 9:29 PM

What does this former CIA Director have to say about the current CIA Director? One would think he would have something to say given that the current CIA Director said it was the video and before the House Intelligence Committee no less.

VorDaj on October 13, 2012 at 9:29 PM

This nonsense is why I have to be here.

gumbyandpokey on October 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Sentenced by a judge?

Your boss made you?

You have to because of your 0bama phone?

Using a republican poll as the reason why is too stupid to be a lie.

But then, you are you.

cozmo on October 13, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Gutme OR pokeme. One or the other. Not both.

Lanceman on October 13, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Resist We Much on October 13, 2012 at 9:05 PM

…I love it when you start getting on a roll like canopfor!!

Where has Brayam been?

Lanceman on October 13, 2012 at 9:01 PM

…what can the Jackass have to bray about?

KOOLAID2 on October 13, 2012 at 9:30 PM

With GaffeBiden as Hopeys Stellar Foreign Policy Expert,that the
NYT in 2008,said,it shored up,Hopeys credibility(not the exact words)

and so,with the mere mention of “Terrorism”,which was the very thing
that the Democrats Feared,they d*mn well knew,that a successful attac
-k,let alone an American death,would be there Partys Death Knell!!!

9/11 Part Deux!

Thank-You Obama…………………………..

……….YOU FAILED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on October 13, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Because shut up! That’s why!

-Gumballs

wargamer6 on October 13, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Heh – shut up, he explained.

22044 on October 13, 2012 at 9:30 PM

gophergirl on October 13, 2012 at 9:27 PM

gumby used the word have…to be here.

Very strange.

cozmo on October 13, 2012 at 9:31 PM

You have to because of your 0bama phone?

cozmo on October 13, 2012 at 9:29 PM

We gotta keep obama in president, you know? Because Romney sucks! Bad!

Lanceman on October 13, 2012 at 9:31 PM

This nonsense is why I have to be here.

gumbyandpokey on October 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM

gophergirl on October 13, 2012 at 9:27 PM

What she said.

Really, don’t put yourself out or go to any trouble on our behalf — go, enjoy life, forget this place even exists. We’ll get by just fine without you. Really. We will be OK.

AZfederalist on October 13, 2012 at 9:31 PM