Romney lands the coveted Lindsay Lohan endorsement

posted at 6:41 pm on October 12, 2012 by Allahpundit

We should have known that she was leaning right when she went to the Correspondents’ Dinner as a guest of Fox News.

I’m only half-joking in the headline, by the way. Let Walter Hickey of Business Insider explain why this endorsement is, in fact, kinda sorta coveted:

Lohan, by all accounts, is a typical low-information voter. And low information voters, like it or not, will decide this election.

The first person to pick out this trend was Dave Weigel at Slate after sportswriter Buzz Bissinger endorsed Romney after his positive debate performance. Bissinger, Weigel notes, was a low information voter. He ignored the election, watched the debate, took everyone’s word for it on the facts, and backed Romney…

Bissinger is emblematic of millions of Americans. These people don’t follow politics, don’t understand the issues with depth, and plan to vote based on what little information they’ve gleaned.

Adult film actress Jenna Jameson has backed Romney because “when you’re rich, you want a Republican in office.” Wrestler Hulk Hogan has backed Romney because he wants someone to “just take the lead and run.”

Romney may have landed the coveted Tawny Kitaen endorsement too. I wouldn’t call either of them “representative” of the average American voter, but I’d guess they’re closer to the mark than your friendly neighborhood political blogger and his/her readership. That’s the paradox of being a political news junkie: The more news you consume, the less equipped you are to get in the heads of casual voters, which makes it doubly tough to gauge what sort of campaign developments will truly register with the wider population and move votes. (See, e.g., the online hype surrounding basically every “gaffe” ever.) Sometimes I think I’d have a better handle on who’s really winning and which way undecideds are likely to break if I spent two weeks watching the 6:30 national news and nothing else. That may be all the Lindsays of the world are watching, if they’re watching that much, and between the economic news and the news from Benghazi lately, that’s enough. Obama’s campaign knows this too, of course, which is why you see him doing moronic interviews with local morning DJs instead of “Meet the Press.” It’s not just a matter of wanting to dodge hard questions (although that’s part of it). It’s a judgment that the “Meet the Press” crowd has already made up its mind one way or another. The Lindsays haven’t.

The big exception to all that was, of course, the first debate, which political junkies immediately realized was bound to move votes just because the audience for it was so enormous and Romney’s victory was so decisive. The only question afterward was whether he’d get a bounce that faded in a week or whether he’d change perceptions of his candidacy fundamentally, in an enduring way. We’re now eight days out from Denver and Gallup’s tracker stands at Romney 49, Obama 47, a point higher for Romney than yesterday and matching his biggest advantage in the poll since the debate. Doesn’t look like he’s going away. Now all we need is for Lindsay to, er, register to vote.

For your viewing pleasure, an alternate take on the debate that changed everything.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

And then there’s this:

I asked my husband yesterday if he thought Obama would win if he was white. Well what do you think?

COgirl on October 12, 2012 at 7:59 PM

hmmmm…well, can we now call this a preference cascade?

r keller on October 12, 2012 at 7:59 PM

hawkdriver on October 12, 2012 at 7:57 PM
Capitalist Hog on October 12, 2012 at 7:58 PM

You both are just talking out of your posteriors.

I have daughters a little younger than Lohan so I’ve seen most of her early work. Until she turned 18, she displayed a real talent but on her 18th birthday she turned full-on slut.

Despite her fame she has not had an easy life but everything she does is calculated with only herself in mind. At least, that is what the public record seems to show.

gh on October 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM

She must not new black enough.

phatfawzi on October 12, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I have this vague memory of her expressing some admiration for McCain and/or Palin in 2008, so I suspect she leans right.

But, yeah, the woman is a mess. Her whole family is a mess. She has a history of theft, DUIs, reckless driving, hit and run, and drug use or possession. She has also been non compliant as far as probation goes. She has benefited from the overcrowding of jails which results in her doing very little time no matter what her sentence is.

Blake on October 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Gary Graham stands up for Republicans in Hollywood while receiving a ‘Best Feature Film’ award.

redridinghood on October 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM

It’s my impression that convicts can’t vote in California.

That video needs a soundtrack.. :)

No it doesn’t.

papertiger on October 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM

You both are just talking out of your posteriors.

gh on October 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Not sure what to add after this. I was just trying to add a reasoned bit of optimism for her. I’d do that for most people. Moreover, I offered no proof she was one thing or the other. Not sure what in my comment could be construed as “incorrect” where “talking out of my posterior” would be a fair comment in return.

hawkdriver on October 12, 2012 at 8:15 PM

gh on October 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM

She seems to be working hard to rehabilitate herself professionally. As I said earlier, she has worked on 4 films this year alone. She probably comes cheap due to the high insurance premiums they must pay for her.

Blake on October 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM

redridinghood on October 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Thanks for that. :) Nice link.

Axe on October 12, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Brittney S. & Shannon D are on the team, too.

*facepalm*

itsnotaboutme on October 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I would hardly lump Shannon D in there.

She’s a Republican in Hollywood. One of her prized pictures is her with Ari Fleischer.

Lanceman on October 12, 2012 at 8:24 PM

It’s my impression that convicts can’t vote in California.

papertiger on October 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM

She’s not a convict. She’s done some jail time but never prison. I think her drug arrests were diverted and her grand theft was reduced to a misdemeanor as part of a plea bargain. So, I don’t think she has any felonies on her record. Though it wouldn’t shock me if she had not bothered to register to vote. These Hollywood types are famous for it. LOL

Blake on October 12, 2012 at 8:24 PM

hawkdriver on October 12, 2012 at 8:15 PM

She has a long record of disappointing people.

She certainly appears to be quite bright and might reform some day. However, she also has a record, which indicts her (see Blake’s earlier post). She has an extremely bad attitude toward the legal system.

gh on October 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM

hawkdriver on October 12, 2012 at 8:15 PM

She has a long record of disappointing people.

gh on October 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I never asserted anything to the contrary. How does that change what I said?

hawkdriver on October 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Did we see this?

Cindy Munford on October 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM

You beat me to it Cindy, are you thinking what I am…
She wants the job.

MontanaMmmm on October 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM

gh on October 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Appearances can be deceiving. She has displayed rambling incoherence while speaking on her own behalf in court on more than one occasion, doing herself no favors with the judge in each case. But that isn’t the only evidence that she is not that bright…

I agree with the rest of your comments, her disrespect for authority isn’t an attractive trait.

Freelancer on October 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Freelancer on October 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Thanks. She has expressed some (unpleasant) insights into the way the world works that really enlightened me. So I don’t think she’s a complete moron.

hawkdriver on October 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM

My original remark was a throw-away bit of snark. I was over-reacting a bit to the pile-on from two commenters here for which I usually have the utmost respect.

gh on October 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM

gh on October 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM

No, not a moron, and periodically able to craft a cogent thought about life. Certainly her childhood career displays more than adequate acting talent. However, between the disinclination to comply with laws, rules, and even sentencing strictures, the tendency towards self-destructive behaviors, and the inability to legibly or coherently express herself in a literate manner, not much more than a bad example of privilege abused.

Freelancer on October 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Freelancer on October 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I attribute most of her flaws to her family life. However, there was an incident where she was trying to get someone who had worked for her kicked out of a restaurant because, in her estimation, the former employee was unworthy of being there. My initial reaction was to think she was just being a jerk and that the US is a classless society.

However, I later realized that there really is a class of people who can get away with things that the “little people” cannot. And Lohan herself is a really good illustration of that. The existence of such a class has nothing to do with the US. It exists in every society. Membership is not permanent but it takes some work to get kicked out.

Lohan herself is an illustration of this.

gh on October 12, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I really should preview these posts …

gh on October 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM

After Howard Stern did street level interviews with Obama supporter claiming Paul Ryan was Obama’s pick for VP, claimed Ryan was black, claimed Obama was Mormon and claimed that Romney was a Muslim … and not a one thought any of those claims were wrong or even odd, I knew the low information voter was hopeless.

J_Crater on October 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM

that was a funny Jim Lehrer video but the irony is that, as Jim Lehrer said, being that kind of control freak is damaging to the ability to hear the candidates not only expound on their positions, but see how they react and respond to each other.

For that reason I think Jim Lehrer was a ^much* better moderator than the VP debates’ one…

inviolet on October 12, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Good for her, maybe she’s finally starting to grow up.

kg598301 on October 12, 2012 at 11:16 PM

LL is one of the few women I find incredibly attractive. Her all too human qualities are what make me so attracted to her plus she could make a burlap sack look good

Sue me.

DevilsPrinciple on October 13, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Blake on October 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Cheap…..a great description for her.

Fighton03 on October 13, 2012 at 12:19 AM

inviolet on October 12, 2012 at 11:16 PM

abso-’god-danged’-lutely.

Fighton03 on October 13, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Would any of you like someone to ask her to diagnose or find out what Joe Biden was on?

IlikedAUH2O on October 13, 2012 at 12:26 AM

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger and sometimes smarter.

Fighting addiction, feeling your way out of a nutty family while dealing with mental health and basic growing up issues gives you a clarity and a grasp of logic which most younger people lack.

IlikedAUH2O on October 13, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Blake said,

Freelancer said,

Diverting and reducing sentences sounds like she held up her end in court pretty well to me.

papertiger on October 13, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Huh…

Cylor on October 13, 2012 at 4:09 AM

One of the benefits of being an American is that you can vote based on whatever information you feel is important, not what somebody else says is important.

One is a conservative ideal, the other is liberal crap.

BobMbx on October 13, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Speaking of low-information voters, I don’t even think the Benghazi debacle is going to make a dent. Even if it’s proven that the White House lied through their veneered teeth (in the case of Biden, anyway).

Which is sad. In the age of information you’d think Americans would be more knowledgable…

Grace_is_sufficient on October 12, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I disagree.

Even if Benghazi doesn’t consciously affect them, people know subconsciously that 0-bow-maos’s administration is lying to us all, and that hurts his credibility.

Anti-Control on October 13, 2012 at 8:45 AM

papertiger on October 13, 2012 at 1:14 AM

I have no idea what you mean by this. First time drug offenders are eligible for diversion under the law. Plea bargains are offered for many reasons. In her case, it was not because she was some innocent. She had already racked up quite a criminal record by then. Since she would not have been sentenced to prison even if she was convicted, the state offered to reduce the charges to a misdemeanor for her plea.

Blake on October 13, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Seems to be pretty effective for Biden for over 40 years.

BobMbx on October 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM

papertiger on October 13, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Not even close.

Having lawyers that only A-list celebs can afford (and she certainly was A-list in H-town before she started blowing up her own life), is what gets sentences reduced, and being viewed as among the privileged class. Every time she opened her mouth in court she harmed her own cases.

Freelancer on October 13, 2012 at 10:20 AM

look at her parents- the both of them are train wrecks. she didn’t stand half a chance to not be f’d up with those two losers.

mittens on October 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Come on. The claim was made that “everytime she opened her mouth in court she harmed her own case”.

If as a first time drug offender “opening her mouth in court” had caused her to become ineligible for diversion under the law, then in those circumstances you could say honestly that she harmed her own case.
But that’s not what happened.

Freelancer has to stop getting legal advice from People Magazine.

And Blake, since she would not have been sentenced to prison even if she was convicted, why in the world would the state reduce her charges to a misdemeaner?

The state had over egged a traffic stop, that’s why.

Statements made in court by Lilo supposedly affecting the outcome – that’s just a fantasy made up to sell bathroom reading material.

papertiger on October 13, 2012 at 1:15 PM

EVERY VOTE and EVERY PENNY OF FINANCIAL SUPPORT for Romney-Ryan is welcomed and appreciated by anyyone that wants to restore America. Period.

TeaPartyNation on October 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Lohan, by all accounts, is a typical low-information voter.

I don’t know if “typical” is exactly the right word. Most drug addicts are not millionaires.

But it does go a long way toward showing how even the thickest skulls are finally being penetrated by reality.

logis on October 13, 2012 at 6:18 PM

papertiger on October 13, 2012 at 1:15 PM

You make no sense.

Why should the state go through the expense and time of a trial when it could achieve the same result, i.e., sentence, via a plea bargain? And the charges were grand theft – not traffic.

Blake on October 14, 2012 at 10:56 AM