Pelosi’s PAC runs kitchen-themed ad against first female combat fighter pilot

posted at 9:21 am on October 12, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

The first female combat pilot in U.S. military history would seem an unlikely target for a kitchen-themed attack ad, and yet that’s exactly what Nancy Pelosi’s House Majority PAC and Rep. Ron Barber have cooked up for Martha McSally, a retired Air Force colonel and pioneering A-10 pilot.

“Wall St. and Martha McSally—here’s what they’ve got cooking,” a female voiceover says as well-worn recipe cards pop out of a recipe box against a backdrop of fresh groceries. The ad features a photo of McSally on a recipe card alongside scribbled accusations like, “raise retirement age” and “essentially end Medicare.” The ad concludes, “McSally and Wall St.— a recipe for disaster.”

McSally, for her part, calls the accusations false and the ad’s theme “laughable.”

“The fact that they use this theme of Martha McSally in a kitchen cooking up recipes is…overtly sexist and insulting to any woman, but it certainly doesn’t fit specifically with me,” she said in a phone interview. “For crying out loud, I served 26 years in the military. I was too busy shooting 30 mm out of my A-10 at the Taliban and al Qaeda to spend any time in a kitchen.”

McSally has made requests of Barber’s campaign and the House Majority PAC to take the ad down, calling it “totally false and misleading”:

McSally’s running in a new 2nd Congressional District formed by redistricting, which is very narrowly Republican, split almost in thirds between the GOP, Democrats, and Independents. Barber is a former staffer for Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was injured during Jared Loughner’s rampage in Tucson and recovered, later winning a special election to serve out Giffords’ term in Congress. Barber has good will in the district, but McSally said the special election, in which Jesse Kelly was bested, turned a page. Kelly decided not to run in the new 2nd CD.

“The community went through a horrible tragedy over a year and a half ago that put us in this place but that’s what the special election was about. They cleared the field for [Barber] and Gabby Giffords endorsed him in order to be a placeholder and a caretaker… and he’s doing that and I thank him for his service, but this November election is about the future,” McSally said. “This is a new fresh election between Ron Barber having to run in his own right, and myself, who brings a very different alternative that more closely fits the kind of people who get elected from this district.”

The NRCC has about $330,000 of ads scheduled in McSally’s district right now. A DCCC poll showed a 14-point lead for Barber at the beginning of October, but McSally and Republicans believe the race is far closer. A McSally poll showed her trailing by five points in August, and a more recent one reported in Roll Call showed a dead heat.

Nowhere in the country perhaps is the irony of the Democrats’ “war on women” attack more glaring than in McSally’s race, which National Journal rates at No. 70 on a list of 71 House races likely to flip.

“All of that name-calling and rhetoric is just not helpful right now,” McSally said. “I’ve been fighting for women’s rights and women’s equality my whole life. I’ve put my life on the line. I’ve certainly broken through some glass ceilings during interesting transitions that were less than friendly environments.”

McSally’s no stranger to having the odds stacked against her. Despite having air sickness as a child and entering the military when being a fighter pilot was against the law for women, she set her sights on her unlikely career. The youngest of five kids, her father died when she was just 12 years old.

“One of the last things he said to me, in between heart attacks, before he died was to make him proud. And, so I was 12 years old, and in that time of junior high and high school, I certainly had a lot of life lessons come way too early.”

Her father’s service in the military inspired her to look into the service academies, and she was accepted to the Air Force Academy, planning to become a military doctor.

“It wasn’t until I got to the academy that I became very motivated to become a fighter pilot, quite frankly because they told me that I couldn’t, ” she said. “I’m going through the same training as everybody else, but if I were to then go onto pilot training, just because I’m a woman, I wasn’t able to be a fighter pilot. I just thought that was crap.”

So, she declared her desire to be a fighter pilot, graduated from the Academy, and went to the Kennedy School at Harvard, picking up a master’s degree in public policy while the Pentagon was pondering a policy change. She did pilot training and was in a position as an instructor when the change came down.

“I was just fortunate to be in the right place in the right time with the right qualifications,” she said.

Since then, McSally has flown some 300 combat hours over Iraq and Afghanistan, earning the Bronze Star during her time commanding a combat squadron in Operation Enduring Freedom during 2005 and 2006.

McSally also sued her bosses at the Department of Defense in the early 2000s to change Pentagon policy forcing women service members to wear the abaya— Muslim body covering— when they went off base in Saudi Arabia. The policy changed. She uses that powerful example when constituents wonder if she’ll simply toe the party line once she gets to Washington, she said.

“I’m a conservative and I’m an independent thinker.”

But sure, McSally in a kitchen is the first thing that springs to mind.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

There is no picture of a woman in a kitchen. Heck, there is no picture of a kitchen. There is a picture of a bag of groceries, a bowl of eggs, and tomatoes: ingredients.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM

And obviously everyone knows that groceries belong in the bedroom, or bathroom, or even the mud room – geez, are you really that shallow??

ontheright on October 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM

There is not a ‘hog’ driver out there that does not love firing that big gun, and they will tell you this themselves.

Col. McSally was unleashing pure hell on the Taliban, time to turn her rhetorical guns on the libloons.

theflyonthewall on October 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Pelosi as most are democrats, is a liar, a hypocrit and a demagogue.

I don’t care about party nonsense. How do people vote for such terrible people to LEAD THEM?!?!

I just don’t get it,

KMC1 on October 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM

You’re right Dante.

Recipes, bags of groceries in the background, plastic recipe holder… if that doesn’t say garage workshop I don’t know what does. Who keeps their food in a kitchen, who keeps their recipes in the kitchen.

When I’m cooking I know my food is out in the workshop, my recipes are downstairs in the basement by the washing machine, and my pots are in the bathtub… like normal people.

Thinking recipes and grocery bags and food = kitchen is reaching. Nobody keeps recipes and food in the kitchen.

Oh, and there is no “women belong in the kitchen” sexism commentary that has ever been made in the history of ever that could apply either… that never existed.

OW, damn… sorry Dante, denying REALITY that hard gave me a headache. I’m going to have to go back to the real world now. Your weird little fantasy is interesting to visit, but not someplace I could live.

gekkobear on October 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I know Martha Sally. I was stationed at the same base with her at Tucson Arizona back in the nineties. Very nice and Humble lady despite her killer occupation. We went to bible studies together and she sings well at church…yes, she’s a Christian and executes judgment very well on the battle field, doing her part in keeping hell packed with souls.

I wish her the best!

b1jetmech on October 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Pelosi as most are democrats, is a liar, a hypocrit and a demagogue.

I just don’t get it,

KMC1 on October 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Two words KMC1, “FREE STUFF!” There is a saying out there that people vote with their pocketbooks. In the case of leftist loons, that is very true. They vote for the people who will give them the most stuff and they vote with other people’s pocketbooks.

Cannon Fodder on October 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Oh…if I wasn’t married to my wife… I would be married to Martha McSally. I always admired conservative women with big guns!

b1jetmech on October 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM

McSally is a great conservative candidate who is being targeted by loony and dishonest lib PACs like Pelosi’s.

If you can, please help her out.

Go here to donate:

Thanks.

AZCoyote on October 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Martha just might want to cut an ad using some of her gun camera video.

meci on October 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Give me a break.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM

You’re an idiot.

Solaratov on October 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Pelsoi is the most despised politician in this country, and for good reason. She is a loon, a liar and an overall nasty person who has helped herself to taxpayer money through her position and is determined to help Obama destroy our country.

McSally is a patriot who has served our country well. We need people like her in congress instead of the bunch of lying socialist democrats there now.

jqc1970 on October 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Dante,
A punk like you would.
Not have survived the training my daughter went through.the problem with skirtboys like you is that good men and women have sacrificed all to protect ungrateful slugs such as yourself. They day will come when we too lose our civility and meet you and your ilk in the street. It will be brief

Thicklugdonkey on October 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM

For you Dante. In case you missed it. As usual. Should have answered the question.

Bmore on October 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Hows that for a break Dante?

Bmore on October 12, 2012 at 11:56 AM

why is it so hard to be intellectually honest?

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Dante = typical leftist.

Solaratov on October 12, 2012 at 11:56 AM

geez, are you really that shallow??

ontheright on October 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Rhetorical question?

Eren on October 12, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Give me a break.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM

…where Dante is revealed, not as a Ronbot, but as a full fledged Moby.

Rebar on October 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM

But the ad has you not talking about the issues, but about the ad. They win.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:51 AM

This thread is about THE AD, you moron. Of course we’re talking about the ad.

You’re an idiot.

Solaratov on October 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Be specific in explaining how this ad is discriminatory on the basis of sex.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Be specific. Explain how you can be such an idiot.

Solaratov on October 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Eren on October 12, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Yes, I should have qualified that… :-)

ontheright on October 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I didn’t ask everyone else for their explanation; I asked you. The definition of sexist is “discriminatory on the basis of sex”. So if you don’t know the meaning of the word, then how can you properly identify something as sexist?

You said the ad is sexist. I’ll ask you again: What’s sexist about it? Be specific in explaining how this ad is discriminatory on the basis of sex.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Definition of SEXISM
: prejudice or discrimination based on sex; especially : discrimination against women
: behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex

You kind ‘left something out’, didn’t you, dante – you idiot?

But, that’s typical of you leftists.
And idiots.

Solaratov on October 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Context aside, the ad makes no sense. Wall Street is conspiring with McSally to change Medicare……why, exactly? What does Wall Street get out of it? Why should it care if Medicare goes bankrupt, or doesn’t, or changes coverage? This isn’t just fear mongering, it’s fear mongering for idiots.

Now if you happen to want to appeal to a constituency of millions of government bureaucrat rent-seekers who want to siphon off large salaries and generous pensions from other people’s enforced dependency on government social engineering, especially if you wanted to keep the fat cat union bosses of those employees happy, I could see where you’d have a dog in this fight.

Which party does that sound like?

Socratease on October 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I love the quote they use about the stock market. . . from 2008.

What idiots.

RedNewEnglander on October 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM

For those of you upset at Dante;

It’s DANTE! It’s nothing more than a Troll and has been since the first day it showed up here on HA.

OF COURSE it knows that the ad is sexist.

OF COURSE it comprehends the ridiculous double standard in play here.

But that’s not the reason it is here. It’s here to get you talking about and to IT rather than about the issue we are discussing. It’s here to disrupt with ridiculous inanities and stubborn incoherence. It’s here to feed it’s own ego.

STOP FEEDING THE TROLL AND IT WILL GO AWAY.

(Also, The admins could apply a little trollbegone to the comment threads once in awhile too. That would be nice.)

wearyman on October 12, 2012 at 12:56 PM

And, if the recipe theme has NOTHING to do with her gender, where’s the House Majority PAC’s kitchen-themed ad about one of the male candidates it’s attacking? Find it for me.

Mary Katharine Ham on October 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I’m shocked you would trot out a logical fallacy.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Flora Duh on October 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Liam on October 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I guess I should have included a sarcasm tag, but I thought it was pretty obvious.

bayview on October 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Back when Fittle Lreen Gootballs was still sane, we used to greet the occasional troll posting with a one-word response:

GAZE

This was shorthand for “gaze pityingly at the contemptible troll and then move on.” In other words, don’t feed the troll.

How would you all feel about adopting that protocol here at Hot Air?

Mary in LA on October 12, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Come to think of it, “Gittle Freen Lootballs” would have been more euphonic, but the rest of my comment stands. :-)

Mary in LA on October 12, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Dante, you’re a sack of excrement. Your only purpose here to dissemble, to run ”damage control” for your illiberal ideology. Any of us could write your lines for you and probably should, as we’d at least be entertaining. Whereas your du rigueur gain saying is anything but.

rayra on October 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM

why is it so hard to be intellectually honest?

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM

A question that springs to mind every time we read your posts. Trying to pretend that a kitchen themed ad run by a man against a woman running for office isn’t sexist could be used by wikipedia to illustrate intellectual dishonesty.

talkingpoints on October 12, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I’m shocked you would trot out a logical fallacy.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Funniest comment of the thread!

Bmore on October 12, 2012 at 5:24 PM

talkingpoints on October 12, 2012 at 5:14 PM

This is true.

And it also points to another hidden truth: The fact that we, a bunch of conservatives, have been sensitized to kitchen images as “sexist” shows how much leftie themes have corrupted the nation’s political discourse and even our own thought processes.

Because, when you think of it, why should kitchen images per se be bad? Why should they have any negative association with women, or any negative connotation at all? Don’t we all, men and women, eat? Don’t we all like food? Aren’t most of us able to at least scramble an egg, or boil water for tea, or “make a sammich” (the horror!)?

The answer lies in the progressive mindset. Early feminism (equity feminism) said, “You don’t have to stay in the kitchen just because you’re female, ladies! If you want to work outside the house, you can and should be able to.” Modern feminism (gender feminism) says, “You must abandon the kitchen. Moreover, you must denounce and deplore it as a symbol and tool of the Male Oppressor. Your personal desires are irrelevant and must be sacrificed for the Greater Good of Ending Male Oppression and exacting revenge for the thousands of years of Oppression practiced upon us all by Males. If you make the same choice your ancestresses did, simply because you prefer it, you are a Traitor and a Quisling.”

Mary in LA on October 12, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Sorry, I want her to win but women need to stay out of combat.

Cleombrotus on October 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Sorry, I want her to win but women need to stay out of combat.

Cleombrotus on October 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I don’t really mind women pilots…sorta.

But NO WOMEN GRUNTS!!!

Solaratov on October 12, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Sorry, I want her to win but women need to stay out of combat.

Cleombrotus on October 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Now here is the first concrete example of a sexist.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Now here is the first concrete example of a sexist.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 7:40 PM

aside from yourself that is.

Fighton03 on October 12, 2012 at 9:45 PM

“Give me a break.”

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Sure. Arm, leg or skull?

sablegsd on October 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM

sablegsd on October 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM

LOL, I did have similar thoughts.

Fighton03 on October 12, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Mary in LA on October 12, 2012 at 5:51 PM

That shift was where the feminists lost me in the seventies.

AesopFan on October 12, 2012 at 11:37 PM

That shift was where the feminists lost me in the seventies.

AesopFan on October 12, 2012 at 11:37 PM

A-yep, I hear you. Coming of age in the ’80s as I did, I found so-called “second wave” feminism (i.e. gender feminism) exceedingly unappealing. Later on it became lunatic, creating its own myths of a matriarchal past with no war (yeah, right! Ask an archaeologist if there was ever a time with no war.). Ursula K. LeGuin (whose science fiction I love) has advocated for a female-run society “ruled by custom, not by law”. She has no idea what a straitjacket that would be. At least, under law, you can face your accusers, sue for injunctive relief, appeal an adverse decision, campaign to change a law, etc. Custom, on the other hand, is merciless. Imagine a society run by whispering campaign. The thought makes me shudder.

Feminism didn’t just lose you and me. It lost its way. Modern feminism has moved on from improving women’s lot in life and has tackled the destruction of Western society. It is objectively pro-Islamofascism: Modern feminism doesn’t seem to give a damn about the actual plight of modern women who are being mutilated in their tenderest parts as children, stoned to death for wearing make-up, etc. Oh, no — it’s much more important to win the “pronoun wars,” or lead the fight against gendered restrooms.

Feminism as it presently stands has damaged our culture, possibly beyond repair (though I hope not).

Mary in LA on October 13, 2012 at 1:03 AM

If you want to put a total “Pain in the ass” in Congress—- Martha McSally is your man !!

All the “below the radar” stuff seen on this “male” wannabe , military ass-pain, prima-dona makes BigSven suddenly become bi-partisan.

BigSven is sticking with Ron Barber on this one !!

“For crying out loud, I served 26 years in the military. I was too busy shooting 30 mm out of my A-10 at the Taliban and al Qaeda to spend any time in a kitchen.”–whined McSally (careful–when angered, she might “kick you in the jimmy”)

Sorry man…this alone gives YOU NO cred with BigSven….government “diversity” pain-in-the-ass promotees —Had a bellyfull of them !!

BigSven on October 13, 2012 at 6:02 AM

Give me a break.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM

…where Dante is revealed, not as a Ronbot, but as a full fledged Moby.

Rebar on October 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Been saying it for some time now. This guy was never voting for Paul. He’s an Obama Boy.

hawkdriver on October 13, 2012 at 6:20 AM

BigSven on October 13, 2012 at 6:02 AM

How many “Big” years did Sven serve?

hawkdriver on October 13, 2012 at 6:21 AM

BigSven on October 13, 2012 at 6:02 AM

Had to reread your comment again. If I take you correctly, if I do, you realize “you” are who everyone was referring to in the mentality that makes this ad sexist.

I read your comments and have never seen this side of your rationale. Please tell me I’m mistaken about your context. Specifically that McSally was promoted because of gender and you’d vote for the donk over her because you hate seeing women progress in the military?

Surly I’m mistaken.

hawkdriver on October 13, 2012 at 6:40 AM

Mary Katharine Ham on October 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I’m shocked you would trot out a logical fallacy.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM

You know, MKH, I understand why conservative blogs allow lefty posters the privilege of posting, unlike DU or Kos – the principle of fair-mindedness and allowing all points of view and all that. But, here at Hot Air, the lefty posters, AKA trolls, don’t really care to debate their points of view vis a vis conservatives. All they care about is the dissemination of strawmen, red herrings, and squirrels in order to distract and divert the conversation, especially when their side is getting the worst of it.

Which leads me to my question: Aren’t you authorized to swing the banhammer? Because if anyone deserves it, it’s Dante.

El Salsero on October 13, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Of course the ad is playing to a “homemaker” stereotype. The ad is all sweetness and light with a condescending narration. It tries to replace the image of a fighter pilot with a “silly” housewife who really shouldn’t be opining on things she knows nothing about.

It plays to the Dem feminist base, too, offering them an picture (monumentally false as it is), of a stay-at-home mom, a (shudder) non-working unprofessional woman.

Aardvark on October 13, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Dante, you’re a sack of excrement. Your only purpose here to dissemble, to run ”damage control” for your illiberal ideologiocy.

rayra on October 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM

fixed

cableguy615 on October 14, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Don’t get too excited about McSally being a Republican. She’s definitely not conservative in all areas of policy. She might be the sort of person we need on our side – she is a bit of a bull about getting things her way.

As to the ad, no, I doubt she could cook an omelette without help. But, G_d help you if you step into the ring with her. Obamacare won’t adequately cover your trauma bill, I’m betting.

GWB on October 15, 2012 at 9:27 AM