Pelosi’s PAC runs kitchen-themed ad against first female combat fighter pilot

posted at 9:21 am on October 12, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

The first female combat pilot in U.S. military history would seem an unlikely target for a kitchen-themed attack ad, and yet that’s exactly what Nancy Pelosi’s House Majority PAC and Rep. Ron Barber have cooked up for Martha McSally, a retired Air Force colonel and pioneering A-10 pilot.

“Wall St. and Martha McSally—here’s what they’ve got cooking,” a female voiceover says as well-worn recipe cards pop out of a recipe box against a backdrop of fresh groceries. The ad features a photo of McSally on a recipe card alongside scribbled accusations like, “raise retirement age” and “essentially end Medicare.” The ad concludes, “McSally and Wall St.— a recipe for disaster.”

McSally, for her part, calls the accusations false and the ad’s theme “laughable.”

“The fact that they use this theme of Martha McSally in a kitchen cooking up recipes is…overtly sexist and insulting to any woman, but it certainly doesn’t fit specifically with me,” she said in a phone interview. “For crying out loud, I served 26 years in the military. I was too busy shooting 30 mm out of my A-10 at the Taliban and al Qaeda to spend any time in a kitchen.”

McSally has made requests of Barber’s campaign and the House Majority PAC to take the ad down, calling it “totally false and misleading”:

McSally’s running in a new 2nd Congressional District formed by redistricting, which is very narrowly Republican, split almost in thirds between the GOP, Democrats, and Independents. Barber is a former staffer for Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was injured during Jared Loughner’s rampage in Tucson and recovered, later winning a special election to serve out Giffords’ term in Congress. Barber has good will in the district, but McSally said the special election, in which Jesse Kelly was bested, turned a page. Kelly decided not to run in the new 2nd CD.

“The community went through a horrible tragedy over a year and a half ago that put us in this place but that’s what the special election was about. They cleared the field for [Barber] and Gabby Giffords endorsed him in order to be a placeholder and a caretaker… and he’s doing that and I thank him for his service, but this November election is about the future,” McSally said. “This is a new fresh election between Ron Barber having to run in his own right, and myself, who brings a very different alternative that more closely fits the kind of people who get elected from this district.”

The NRCC has about $330,000 of ads scheduled in McSally’s district right now. A DCCC poll showed a 14-point lead for Barber at the beginning of October, but McSally and Republicans believe the race is far closer. A McSally poll showed her trailing by five points in August, and a more recent one reported in Roll Call showed a dead heat.

Nowhere in the country perhaps is the irony of the Democrats’ “war on women” attack more glaring than in McSally’s race, which National Journal rates at No. 70 on a list of 71 House races likely to flip.

“All of that name-calling and rhetoric is just not helpful right now,” McSally said. “I’ve been fighting for women’s rights and women’s equality my whole life. I’ve put my life on the line. I’ve certainly broken through some glass ceilings during interesting transitions that were less than friendly environments.”

McSally’s no stranger to having the odds stacked against her. Despite having air sickness as a child and entering the military when being a fighter pilot was against the law for women, she set her sights on her unlikely career. The youngest of five kids, her father died when she was just 12 years old.

“One of the last things he said to me, in between heart attacks, before he died was to make him proud. And, so I was 12 years old, and in that time of junior high and high school, I certainly had a lot of life lessons come way too early.”

Her father’s service in the military inspired her to look into the service academies, and she was accepted to the Air Force Academy, planning to become a military doctor.

“It wasn’t until I got to the academy that I became very motivated to become a fighter pilot, quite frankly because they told me that I couldn’t, ” she said. “I’m going through the same training as everybody else, but if I were to then go onto pilot training, just because I’m a woman, I wasn’t able to be a fighter pilot. I just thought that was crap.”

So, she declared her desire to be a fighter pilot, graduated from the Academy, and went to the Kennedy School at Harvard, picking up a master’s degree in public policy while the Pentagon was pondering a policy change. She did pilot training and was in a position as an instructor when the change came down.

“I was just fortunate to be in the right place in the right time with the right qualifications,” she said.

Since then, McSally has flown some 300 combat hours over Iraq and Afghanistan, earning the Bronze Star during her time commanding a combat squadron in Operation Enduring Freedom during 2005 and 2006.

McSally also sued her bosses at the Department of Defense in the early 2000s to change Pentagon policy forcing women service members to wear the abaya— Muslim body covering— when they went off base in Saudi Arabia. The policy changed. She uses that powerful example when constituents wonder if she’ll simply toe the party line once she gets to Washington, she said.

“I’m a conservative and I’m an independent thinker.”

But sure, McSally in a kitchen is the first thing that springs to mind.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ooooo, 30 mm. Heartmelt…

Kraken on October 12, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I’m smitten.

Washington Nearsider on October 12, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Why are Pelosi and the Democrats engaging in a War on Women Warriors?

Mr. Bingley on October 12, 2012 at 9:31 AM

This is a bit specious. Naturally an opponent is going to run an ad against his competitior. The compeitor happens to be a woman. Ergo, it’s a “war on women.”

Give me a break.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM

McSally should make an ad with her in a kitchen cooking moose stew. That should put her over the top.

Kissmygrits on October 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I was deployed in Saudi Arabia shortly after this change at PSAB. The policy did change but also we were not allowed to leave the base as we used to. So sure women didnt have to wear the abaya, but it didnt matter since you couldnt leave the base. Spin

Spinstra on October 12, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Geez…even I felt insulted by that ad.
It was awful.
It dripped with disrespect.
Somebody was paid to produce that…?

NeoKong on October 12, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I’ve never understood why more Republicans don’t bring up the fact that not one politician is going to retire on social security. They all invest in the stock market that they claim to hate.
Once in a while someone might mention it like once, but no one ever uses this simple fact like it could be used.

JellyToast on October 12, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Well, aside from being sexist the ad is just lame.

Happy Nomad on October 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Dante

I think it may just be the kitchen reference that is insulting. DUH… We don’t even mention that the entire, ad other than the name, is a complete fabrication. We are used to the lies.

jdsbengaltiger on October 12, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Well, aside from being sexist the ad is just lame.

Happy Nomad on October 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Pelosi is campaigning AGAINST this lady.
In favor of a man instead ?

Not walking the talk very well, is she ?

Jabberwock on October 12, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Gotta keep ‘em in the kitchen, eh?

Abby Adams on October 12, 2012 at 9:40 AM

To me, as a woman, smoking Taliban from an airplane is like the ultimate revenge fantasy. This woman has gone out and physically fought the men who want to lock me up in the house with a bag over my head. Amazing. It’s really disgusting to see the Dems denigrate such a role model for young women, even if is just politics.

juliesa on October 12, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Though her taliban recipes are the best :

Pulped or grinded, bloody, done , well done or incinerated.

the_nile on October 12, 2012 at 9:41 AM

You go girl!

And thank you for your service to our country.

Flora Duh on October 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Give me a break.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Really? You didn’t notice the kitchen references? You don’t think it is a tad sexist?

Here’s the thing that is most clear. Barber can’t run on anything but a horrible incident where his boss was shot and others were killed. McSally is a threat so Pelosi decided to infer that she should be in the kitchen and not the House.

Happy Nomad on October 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM

“Totally false and misleading” is Nancy Pelosi’s mission statement.

I don’t think they’ll be taking the ad down.

MessesWithTexas on October 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM

An A-10 pilot?

Before the F-117, flying an A-10 was the goal of many pilots, a thing to which to aspire.

If the balloon ever went up in Europe, an A-10 would be the last thing a lot of Soviet tank commanders ever saw.

Scratch Pelosi. If I could have a vote, I would take an A-10 pilot who’s a political novice any day of the week over a dried up old hag.

Liam on October 12, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Lame ad. Insulting to women as well. I thought that the libs were supposed to be all about voice and women’s lib. I suppose that only applies to lib women, though because everyone knows that republican women are supposed to be barefoot and pregnant, because we’re backwards and downtrodden by evil, conservative men. Or something.

Gettycorn on October 12, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Happy Nomad on October 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I see a recipe/cooking theme, not a kitchen theme. I also don’t see the sexism that you’ve twice alleged.

I will ask again: What’s sexist about it? Be specific in explaining how this ad is discriminatory on the basis of sex.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Give me a break.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM

It’s sterotyping and highly hypocritical from a party who is always shrieking about the “Republican’s War on Women.”

I’m sure you would have been just fine if one of the GOP candidates, or their PACs, had put out an ad depicting Dr. Paul as a doddering old man with a touch of dementia.

Flora Duh on October 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Oh gosh. One ad with her in a flight suit next to a jet. … She’s living my fantasy, along with a lot of women and countless men.
Recipe card. Sheesh.

tj4osu on October 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Happy Nomad on October 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Please don’t fall into Dante’s trap! Liberals like arguing the little details, locking you in while offering nothing of the big picture.

Please–Ignore the liberal!

Liam on October 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Because cooking recipes happens in the den or attic?

You’re struggling buddy. Let it go.

Spliff Menendez on October 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Flora Duh on October 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM

It’s neither of those things. What is so hard about being intellectually honest? But the ad has you not talking about the issues, but about the ad. They win.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Flora Duh on October 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM

He’d flip, except the ad would be 100% correct.

Spliff Menendez on October 12, 2012 at 9:51 AM

The implicit point of the ad is that McSally is a traiter to her gender – that she’s one female who’s gonna put y’all back in chains, as it were. Now obviously you can dispute whether that’s substantively plausible; and conversely there may be some men who might find her alleged political machismo, er, oddly intriguing, but as an attack ad it’s par for the course.

Seth Halpern on October 12, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I’m smitten.

Washington Nearsider on October 12, 2012 at 9:28 AM

That’s just what the Taliban said, too!

Shy Guy on October 12, 2012 at 9:52 AM

You know how you see films, videos of chimpanzees swinging on a branch before another one, spitting goober-stuff out of their lips at the other one, going “oooohhh ohhh ahhh AAAAAHHHHaaaa…” and then picking up a stick and wopping the other one with the stick and running around them screeching?

That’s what the Democrats are now doing. They’re engaged in that sort of goading that is, well, just like a group of chimpanzees trying desperately to urge on another bunch to riot.

Lourdes on October 12, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Flora Duh on October 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Further, look at the response to the ad in the blog post. Nothing about issues or positions or stances or votes, just about the person as a fighter pilot. Whoop de do. It’s a bit of a twist on Coulter’s Infallibility of Victimhood. To “conservatives,” there is the Infallibility of the Military. How dare someone critcitize this person or run a campaign ad against her; don’t you know she was in the military? It’s childish.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Pelosi’s group will be very disappointed to learn of your difficulties. They spent good money to make it clear.

Jabberwock on October 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM

They must deflect from this

bloggless on October 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM

traitor

Seth Halpern on October 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM

It’s neither of those things. What is so hardaboutbeing intellectually honest? But the ad has you not talking about the issues, but about the ad. They win.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Actually, it’s got us talking about how pathetic and hypocritical Democrats are. But your blind hatred of the military has you all wet for an ad against a pioneering member of the military.

Spliff Menendez on October 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Seth Halpern on October 12, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Wow. Talk about seeing what you want to see. The ad was about Social Security and Medicare, and was directed at seniors. There was no mention of gender, nor was there any implication that she’s a traitor to her gender. Again, why is it so hard to be intellectually honest?

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM

She’s being overly modest because she certainly wasn’t “fortunate.” To the contrary: she worked hard and prepared and kept herself in position to take advantage of the policy change when it finally happened. That’s not luck, it’s smarts and hard work.

Laura Curtis on October 12, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Spliff Menendez on October 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Thank you for illustrating my points marvelously.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Recipe card. Sheesh.

tj4osu on October 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Someone, quick, make some ads that include one with a Tiny Nancy trying and failing to PICK UP a very, very giant gavel…another one with Biden riding around in a tiny little kid’s Green Machine ‘car’ hitting pedestrians on a sidewalk, yelling out “Progressive” and whatnot…

The Left can’t even do humor well. A pilot in the kitchen would only work as an ad IF the pilot in the kitchen was onboard a great big wonderful Carrier and the food cookin’ was Jet Fuel.

Lourdes on October 12, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Kissmygrits on October 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Rattlesnake stew. Don’t see many moose around here.

McSally is a great candidate, but she needs money. If you can kick in a few bucks (or more) to help her out, please do.

AZCoyote on October 12, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Well if you don’t see the sexism you are either dense or deliberately ignoring the obvious. I guess you wouldn’t deem it racist if the RNC took out a “minstrel show” themed ad depicting Barber in black face and the tag line Barber is all entertainment and no substance.

And let’s keep something else in mind. Sarah Palin was attacked by the left after the Giffords shooting for using a graphic that was deemed too target-like to point out vulnerable Congressional races. So, certainly by that measure, you don’t infer female candidates should be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen instead of running for Congress.

Happy Nomad on October 12, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:51 AM

No. The ad diminishes the accomplishments of this person. It is saying that despite all she has done, she is not worthy of holding office because she does not think like us.
Equal, but not so much.
They lose.

Jabberwock on October 12, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Really? You’re going to tell me, a woman, that an ad that references cooking and recipes against a female opponent is not sterotyping?

Tell me Dante, when was the last time you saw an ad that refers to cooking and recipes used against a man?

And of course we’re talking about the ad and not the issues, I dare say that’s what Mary Katherine’s purpose was in posting this thread.

Flora Duh on October 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I like MKH as much as anyone, but not everyone is in a position to play video clips and not everyone follows all 435 House races.

Can you possibly establish in the first paragraph or two where this fricking race is unfolding? Seriously, seven paragraphs before getting some information finally indicating that the race is in Arizona–and still Arizona is never specifically mentioned.

C’mon, man.

BuckeyeSam on October 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Go here to donate:

Thanks!

AZCoyote on October 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Wow, talk about not being able to analyze messages, you don’t see what you don’t want to see…the add started off with the stereotype of a woman in a kitchen, not a woman who flew combat mission.
And just to educate you, you don’t need to mention something like gender, to symbolize gender…I am pretty sure I can count on you not having any ad or marketing experience.
Again, why is it so hard for simple expressions to be overlooked by apologists?

right2bright on October 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:51 AM

But the site (you are HERE) HAS POSTED A DISCUSSION ISSUE ABOUT **AN AD**.

THUS, discussion about **that ad** is both appropriate and realistic.

They lose.

Lourdes on October 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Happy Nomad on October 12, 2012 at 9:58 AM

So you can’t explain how the ad is sexist; you can’t explain how it is discriminatory against sex. And since you are unable to support your claim, you bring in Palin and Giffords in an attempt to divert?

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 10:01 AM

@Dante: C’mon, the target audience is obviously older women of the feminist generation. They’re outing McSally as a political cross dresser who wants to force females back into the kitchen.

Seth Halpern on October 12, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM

That an old and tired tactic, like asking someone to explain a joke, once they start explaining it the joke is not funny…one you start to explain the obvious, your mind will fog up, and you will resort to asking more questions.

It’s a matter of having simple common sense and being honest…you may have neither, several people have answered your question, in detail…now we will see if you have that common sense or if you are honest…

But then, maybe it was Bush’s fault, or the fault of a video…yeah, that seems to work on you guys…sheeesh!!

right2bright on October 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM

right2bright on October 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM

There is no picture of a woman in a kitchen. Heck, there is no picture of a kitchen. There is a picture of a bag of groceries, a bowl of eggs, and tomatoes: ingredients.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I think Pelosi’s jealous of another woman’s jet.

Lourdes on October 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM

You think that and Lindsay Lohan’s endorsement are undoing the gender gap?

bayview on October 12, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Much respect to Col. McSally, the A-10 Thunderbolt II is pure flying badass, one of the toughest ground attack planes ever designed.

The Soviets were scared of it, and the Iraqis and Taliban have gotten first hand lessons on why you should dive for cover when the ‘warthog’ is in the area.

theflyonthewall on October 12, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 10:01 AM

the add started off with the stereotype of a woman in a kitchen, a recipe maker, just a housewife in the kitchen, not a woman who flew combat mission.

If you don’t get that…you are incredibly dishonest or remarkable stupid…right now, it’s a toss up…

right2bright on October 12, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Count me, officially, in love. What a great addition to Congress, a fighter pilot with her background would be.

TXUS on October 12, 2012 at 10:10 AM

And to think, just 6 years ago Rahm Emanuel was recruiting people like Martha McSally to run for Congress as “fighting Democrats,” and they were winning. Now Pelosi is in charge of candidate recruitment and messaging, aparently. And she is going to lose even more seats in this election than she did in 2010. This is just a pathetic, terrible ad that will produce only a backlash of support for McSally.

I live in PA-8 where one of those “fighting Democrats,” Patrick Murphy, won in 2006 and we reelected handily in 2008. But Pelosi and Obama forced him to go along with their far-left agenda and he lost in 2010. This year they recruited a far-left civil liberties lawyer whose husband defended some of the witnesses for Mumia Abu-Jamal. She is laughably left-wing for this district and she is going to lose badly. The DCCC just pulled a planeed $600,000 ad campaign for her.

These Washington leftists just don’t get it.

rockmom on October 12, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Has Damte entered full troll mode now that Ron Paul has more or less expired? RP is no doubt still producing his Klan Tracts but Dante should be satisfied with that.

CorporatePiggy on October 12, 2012 at 10:11 AM

BuckeyeSam on October 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM

McSally is running for Gabrielle Giffords’ former seat in southern AZ (Tucson area). It is essentially the same congressional district that Sarah Palin famously “targeted” for Republican take-over with her bullseye graphic, before the Safeway shootings that killed several people and seriously injured Giffords.

The seat is currently held by Democrat Ron Barber, a former Giffords aide. Like Giffords, Barber is an Obama-cheerleading, Obamacare-supporting, big-government liberal.

McSally is a conservative, and is being targeted by Democratic PACs (like Pelosi’s) with the same type of B.S. ads they typically run here: She’s going to take away your Medicare and leave you to die in the street! She’s going to take away your Social Security and leave you bankrupt!

AZCoyote on October 12, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Spliff Menendez on October 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Dante,

Gotta go with Spliff. Your tell was the line above. Not one person said that McSally shouldn’t be challenged or criticized but your animosity that she served nearly three decades in the military is very clear. 300 combat hours over Iraq and Afghanistan, a Bronze Star, and command of a combat squadron is an impressive military career for any Officer.

Where I disagree slightly with Spliff and MKH is the use of the term “pioneering” to characterize her military career. Certainly she broke new ground but I would argue that the timing of her career puts her a second-generation and not a pioneer. That’s not to take anything away from her accomplishments but to suggest that others paved the way.

Happy Nomad on October 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM

You think that and Lindsay Lohan’s endorsement are undoing the gender gap?

bayview on October 12, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Lindsay Lohan is laughed at and ridiculed by people on both sides of the electorate, but expect the left and late night hosts to claim that her wackyness and trouble with the law makes her a perfect match for the Republican party.

Flora Duh on October 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Flora Duh on October 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Lindsay Lohan…If she was in a liquor store without her credit card, she would need to be rescued by EMT.

Liam on October 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM

No one is that stupid…do you actually think you need to paint an exact picture, to get someone to envision the point they are driving home?
Like I stated, you for sure have no, none, not one bit of ad or marketing experience…

Many marketing ideas do not visualize, directly show you…they lead you…and you have been led.

You guys are who the ads are for, the easily duped, the “huh? I don’t see it, but I buy the ad”…

Ever see a Budweiser commercial telling you to buy the beer, or do they just show a bunch of partiers having a great time…so I guess you assume you don’t have to actually buy the beer…

Ever see a BMW ad that actually tells you that you become one of the 1%’ers, or do they just show people living the good life and knowing that the obvious will be assumed…

Did the famous Daisy ad ever show or tell you that Goldwater wanted to start a nuclear war?
Hey, that was just a child picking a flower, and a bomb going off…no one ever said Goldwater…

Get it? No you don’t…goodbye

right2bright on October 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM

My oldest daughter is in the Army Nurse Corps. I could not be more proud of her. Joined the ROTC after touring Walter Reed. She said iit was her calling. to take care of our sick and wounded soldiers.How dare these political psychopaths belittle military women. how could any self respecting man let this add run on his behalf?

Thicklugdonkey on October 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Tucson is a very liberal place…it’s hard to live here sometimes. I live in her district and I will definitely be voting for her.

KDANAZ on October 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I don’t think Dante is being obtuse on purpose.

I think he has some degree of autism or Asperger’s because he takes things so literally. I don’t think he can make the logical leap from recipe to kitchen.

Mitsouko on October 12, 2012 at 10:18 AM

You’re struggling buddy. Let it go.

Spliff Menendez on October 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM

…a lowlife azzhole…you are wishing for way too much.

KOOLAID2 on October 12, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Happy Nomad on October 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Like your sexist charge, once again you are seeing things that aren’t there. I have no animosity for her or for being in the military, or for her accomplishments. In fact, I couldn’t care less, but good for her. It’s that all of it is irrelevant, yet that’s the title of this webpage and that’s the focus of MKH’s piece, and MKH described it as a “war on women,” which is ridiculous.

But you keep running away from my question: What’s sexist about the ad? Be specific in explaining how this ad is discriminatory on the basis of sex.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Thicklugdonkey on October 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Unreal. The Infallibility of the Military

She’s running for office. She isn’t being belittled at all, and certainly not being belittled because she was military.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Oh for crying out loud! It’s Giffords old district and her former Chief of Staff is one one of the candidates!

Many people have explained to you where the sexism is so you are just being dense. And, BTW, an ad does not have to be discriminatory to be sexist. Recipe boxes and cooking are traditionally associated with females. A-10s and Congress are not. I guess the ad isn’t all that successful if you don’t get the subliminal message that McSally should be in the kitchen.

Happy Nomad on October 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I don’t think Dante is being obtuse on purpose.

Mitsouko on October 12, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Dante has been around a long time. He’s a mere liberal–common as sand grains on a beach and dime-a-dozen. Even at that, he’s overpriced.

On top of that, his Dem Party will tax you.

Liam on October 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Why are Pelosi and the Democrats engaging in a War on Women Warriors?

Mr. Bingley on October 12, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, with the libs, politics trumps everything.

Ward Cleaver on October 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Despite being old school-I don’t believe that women should be allowed in combat MOS’s-Martha McSally is an honorable warrior and patriot. That ad is a cheap shot!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Unreal. The Infallibility of the Military

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM

There’s that animosity again! It’s okay for former military members to have served honorably but, for some reason, in your mind it shouldn’t be ever spoken about or used as a reason why one candidate might be better than another. I guess she should have gone off the med school and spent the 80s printing racist publications for you to be happy.

Happy Nomad on October 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Happy Nomad on October 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Giffords has nothing to do with the discussion, nor does Palin. You’re trying to bring them into the conversation was an attempt to divert attention away from your inability to explain and support your claim.

I didn’t ask everyone else for their explanation; I asked you. The definition of sexist is “discriminatory on the basis of sex”. So if you don’t know the meaning of the word, then how can you properly identify something as sexist?

You said the ad is sexist. I’ll ask you again: What’s sexist about it? Be specific in explaining how this ad is discriminatory on the basis of sex.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Please. The A-10 is not a fighter aircraft; it is a Close Air Support craft. The fighter pilot kills guys trying to kill him (her). The CAS pilot ignores the people trying to kill him while going after his own target.

Which one takes bigger stones? This lady has them.

njcommuter on October 12, 2012 at 10:30 AM

On top of that, his Dem Party will tax you.

Liam on October 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Liam, as usual, you are way out of your element. I thought you had learned your lesson the other day.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 10:30 AM

While the district leans slightly Republican, you have to understand Pima county republican doesn’t necessarily mean what you think it means. When Col. Sanders (Ron Barber) stood to run the first time, the only republican Tucson City councilman, Steve K told the Republicans that they shouldn’t even run a candidate in the race because Col. Sanders had been shot along with Gabby Giffords, so therefore we just shouldn’t even have a candidate in the race. When the rest of the Republicans scoffed at that notion, Steve K went to work for the democrat Barber campaign. He took a significant number of other republicans along with him; there were endorsements by several republican groups for the democrat Barber. So Kelly was running against both Barber and some of the republican establishment.

The other problem with the Pima county republicans are that they are very much a good ol’ boys establishment group. If you aren’t one of their chosen candidates, even if you win the primary, don’t expect support from the establishment. They’d rather have the democrat win than a non-establishment conservative Republican win an election. The converse is not true, if their establishment candidate wins a primary, they demand party loyalty and support for their candidate. Kelly was not a choice of the establishment republicans and they pretty much wanted him to lose to Barber. Their twisted intent was then to run McSally against Barber for the new legislative district. These are not a bright bunch of people in the establishment and they really don’t get the fact that once you are running against an incumbent that you tacitly supported, you have a very low probability of winning.

On the plus side, McSally is supported by the establishment republicans. On the minus side, since they pretty much had ceded the ground to Barber in the first election, it’s going to be very difficult to overcome that.

I say that our establishment republicans here in Pima county aren’t that bright, as a data point, Arizona is a fairly conservative state. However, Pima county and the Tucson area have gifted the nation with Raul Grijalva, Gabby Giffords, and strongly supported John McCain. Locally we have Sheriff Dumbs**t who accused the Tea Party of the Giffords shooting the evening of the shooting, pretty much no Pima county board positions and a very liberal Tucson city council. i.e., the establishment republicans have no real record of which to be proud.

AZfederalist on October 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Spinstra on October 12, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Yes, the requirements that women always be accompanied by men and were restricted in their comings and goings was part of her complaint and not changed, but I didn’t want to get into the legal particulars of the lawsuit in this piece. The Pentagon also says it didn’t change the rule *because* of her lawsuit, per se, but that it was under review before that. And, the wearing of the abaya remained “strongly encouraged,” regardless, I believe. But I was just trying to include the basics.

Mary Katharine Ham on October 12, 2012 at 10:34 AM

“Pelosi’s PAC runs kitchen-themed ad against first female combat fighter pilot” is exactly the type of argument the left used for Michel J. Fox. It is exactly the type of argument the left used about the 9/11 widows.

You people need to wake up.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Why are Pelosi and the Democrats engaging in a War on Women Warriors?

Mr. Bingley on October 12, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Because warriors like the Colonel don’t get in line and vote Democrat like they are supposed to…

Credit FORMER Speaker Meme with that train of thought…

Khun Joe on October 12, 2012 at 10:37 AM

This is the aircraft in question, the mighty A-10 Thunderbolt II, a.k.a. Warthog.

Mission
The A-10 Thunderbolt II has excellent maneuverability at low air speeds and altitude, and is a highly accurate and survivable weapons-delivery platform. The aircraft can loiter near battle areas for extended periods of time and operate in low ceiling and visibility conditions. The wide combat radius and short takeoff and landing capability permit operations in and out of locations near front lines. Using night vision goggles, A-10 pilots can conduct their missions during darkness.

Thunderbolt IIs have Night Vision Imaging Systems, or NVIS, goggle compatible single-seat cockpits forward of their wings and a large bubble canopy which provides pilots all-around vision. The pilots are protected by titanium armor that also protects parts of the flight-control system. The redundant primary structural sections allow the aircraft to enjoy better survivability during close air support than did previous aircraft. The aircraft can survive direct hits from armor-piercing and high explosive projectiles up to 23mm. Their self-sealing fuel cells are protected by internal and external foam. Manual systems back up their redundant hydraulic flight-control systems. This permits pilots to fly and land when hydraulic power is lost.

The Thunderbolt II can be serviced and operated from austere bases with limited facilities near battle areas. Many of the aircraft’s parts are interchangeable left and right, including the engines, main landing gear and vertical stabilizers. Avionics equipment includes multi-band communications; Global Positioning System and inertial navigations systems; infrared and electronic countermeasures against air-to-air and air-to-surface threats. And, it has a heads-up display to display flight and weapons delivery information.

The Thunderbolt II can employ a wide variety of conventional munitions, including general purpose bombs, cluster bomb units, laser guided bombs, joint direct attack munitions or JDAM, wind corrected munitions dispenser or WCMD, AGM-65 Maverick and AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles, rockets, illumination flares, and the GAU-8/A 30mm cannon, capable of firing 3,900 rounds per minute to defeat a wide variety of targets including tanks.

Yeah, she is a real Stepford Wife type, being the first ever female to fly for America in combat, and commanded a squadron in Afghanistan.

Brian1972 on October 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM

You people need to wake up.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 10:35 AM

By ‘You people’ you mean ‘We patriots’, amiright?
I’m thinking that I am-because your people are NOT patriots.
You’re Joo-hating, Israel-hating, truther, isolationist LOONS!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Reread. I didn’t describe it as a “war on women.” I said McSally’s career makes the “war on women” attack from Democrats ironic and silly. Though some in the comment thread are understandably using that term semi-ironically to call out the PAC as Pelosi would have done to a Republican PAC trying to pull the same thing. She should play by her own rules. And, if the recipe theme has NOTHING to do with her gender, where’s the House Majority PAC’s kitchen-themed ad about one of the male candidates it’s attacking? Find it for me.

Mary Katharine Ham on October 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM

In Israel, it is not unusual to see a young lady dressed to the nines with her weapon slung over her shoulder. Now gentleman, be careful not to tick them off……….

crosshugger on October 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM

You people need to wake up.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 10:35 AM

When did Michael J. Fox and the 9/11 widows run for Congress? You might as well bring up John Edwards comment that we had to vote Democrat so that Christopher Reeve would be able to walk again.

Happy Nomad on October 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Boys, this is one lethal arsenal to have at your disposal.

Armament: One 30 mm GAU-8/A seven-barrel Gatling gun; up to 16,000 pounds (7,200 kilograms) of mixed ordnance on eight under-wing and three under-fuselage pylon stations, including 500 pound (225 kilograms) Mk-82 and 2,000 pounds (900 kilograms) Mk-84 series low/high drag bombs, incendiary cluster bombs, combined effects munitions, mine dispensing munitions, AGM-65 Maverick missiles and laser-guided/electro-optically guided bombs; infrared countermeasure flares; electronic countermeasure chaff; jammer pods; 2.75-inch (6.99 centimeters) rockets; illumination flares and AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles.
Crew: One
Unit Cost: $18.8 million

Brian1972 on October 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Sic em MJH

crosshugger on October 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM

It is not sexist if you are a traditionalist (there is nothing wrong with the kitchen, and many women embrace traditional roles)–I certainly don’t find the reference insulting in and of itself. What is insulting is that Nancy Pelosi is such a hypocrite, particularly given that she trumpeted her position as Speaker as one of a woman leaving the kitchen (everyone knows darned well that the only time Nancy Pelosi has ever been in a kitchen was when she was giving instructions to the help). The fact is that Nancy Pelosi thinks it is insulting to talk about women in the kitchen, as if it is somehow “less than.”

DrMagnolias on October 12, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Great shot of Warthog with the late Crocodile hunter and his wife.

Brian1972 on October 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Mary Katharine Ham on October 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Be prepared to wait Mary Katharine.

Flora Duh on October 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM

*crickets*

Flora Duh on October 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Happy Nomad on October 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Oh my goodness. You’re helpless.

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Pelosi isn’t even worthy enough to kiss McSally’s ass.

GarandFan on October 12, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Happy Nomad on October 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Dante on October 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM

So, you’ve seriously never heard the term, “Women should be barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen…really?

I don’t believe it for a second. Just another attempt to protect your progressive “war on women” and deflect the truth from the despicable liberal hypocrisy (read: lie). Good try, but epic FAIL.

ontheright on October 12, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Ok, Dante, I’ll give it a try. I’m not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but I saw the same things right off the bat in this ad that everyone else but you sees.

As far as the ad being kitchen-themed, it most definitely is. Look at the items being used in the ad–recipe cards, recipe box, bag of groceries. I don’t know how it is in your home, Dante, but in mine, you will not find recipe cards, boxes, or bags of groceries in the bedroom, bathroom, or any other room of the house but the kitchen. They all say, “Kitchen!” You can stay blind to it if you want, but this ad is definitely “kitchen-themed.”

Second, what has been one of the Democrat mantras against Republicans for many years? That Republicans want to keep women “barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen.” By that, they mean that Republicans are “sexist!” Yet here is a Democrat ad implying that McSally belongs in the kitchen, not in the the House of Representatives. How hypocritical can you get? So, yeah, you can remain blind to the sexist, chauvinistic themes in this ad if you want to, but they are there!

Cannon Fodder on October 12, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Lovely sound, a Warthog spitting 30mm shells into a tank…

Sounds like stew.

Freelancer on October 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Brian1972 on October 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM

According to Dante it is no more impressive than some 4×6 recipe cards, various cooking utensils strewn around the kitchen counters… what a pathetic, absolutely pathetic attempt to deflect the true meaning of the ad – to call this ad anything other than an attack on gender is a lie of epic proportions.

ontheright on October 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM