Video: Jon Stewart mocks Big Bird ad, tells Obama to ‘let it go’

posted at 4:41 pm on October 11, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

A couple days ago, the Big Bird strategy was allegedly one that harnessed “grassroots outcry” and would lead to hilarious, sympathetic bits on the nation’s “comedy shows.” Now?

Stewart congratulates President “Costanza” on his next-day comeback and declares the most damning part of the ad, “I’m President Obama and I approved this ad.” “WHY?” Stewart asks, pleading with the campaign to “let it go.” The poet laureate of my generation and writer of “My Humps,” Wil.i.am, even comes in for some uncustomary ridicule for his “half-assed remix” of “Sesame Street’s” theme song at an Obama rally.

I’m echoing others, here, but it bears repeating. What’s striking about this ad is not that it’s uncharacteristically shallow. It’s not. It’s a hallmark of the Obama campaign to fan any flimsy story line or one-off gaffe to distract from the economy or the debt or Benghazi. What’s different now is that it’s being treated as shallow. A couple months ago, this ad would have been hailed as a savvy, emotional play for the very young voters and moms he must energize. Wil.i.am’s mere presence would have been a signal of Obama’s ability to harness the power of the creative class to really bring the politics of budget priorities home for the average voter. “Is there more to the Big Bird flap than meets the eye?” newscasters would have asked, happily producing PPP’s inane polling of the bird’s approval numbers— spoiler: they’re very high—and reproducing every hipster parent’s YouTube production of toddlers Hudson and Cash whimpering for their favorite fowl.

Now, this very phony story line looks like a failure to recognize his very real failure in the debate (not to mention Benghazi, which adds to the perception, even if it’s not linked to Obama’s political woes as often as Denver).

But hey, at least we got some laughs out of the ad.

Comments

Wil I am and Fergie and the Black Eyed Pease are a laughing stock and have been for a long time. The only people who are under the illusion that they are cool, or ever were, are out of touch 50 year old politicians.

Daikokuco on October 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM

big bird is the !%

someone had to say it

johnnyboy on October 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM

people are starting to wake up.

rbj on October 11, 2012 at 4:47 PM

corrected

johnnyboy on October 11, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Also “young voters” wouldn’t give a crap about Sesame Street anyway. It’s not like its something anybody over the age of 9 watches or values anyway, let alone 18-30 years old. So no, it would never have been hailed as that. Poor analysis.

Daikokuco on October 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM

When you’ve lost Jon Stewart…

nobar on October 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM

One of the low-info voters I work with is extremely concerned that Romney “blew it” when he mentioned Big Bird. She thinks that’s all that people will relate to, and he should have just not mentioned that. I had to tell her what happened in Libya on 9/11, about gas prices in CA, and that the Big Bird thing has been a joke in comparison to real issues, but she’s unconsolable. Maybe this vid will cheer her up.

SailorMark on October 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM

As I said on another thread….

Ryan needs to come out tonight picking his teeth with a single yellow feather.

He won’t but it would be awesome.

Lily on October 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Obama is left with Big Bird, comedians, an Stephanie Cutter.

faraway on October 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Stewart congratulates President “Costanza” on his next-day comeback

Ouch ! That hurts.

Obama got to the bottom of the staircase, no?

Jabberwock on October 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Stewart is embarrassed by his POTUS…but he will still vote for him.

d1carter on October 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Barack Obama can’t let it go. Big Bird is the son he never had and the dastardly Mitt “Head Chopper” Romney wants to team up with Colonel Sanders and axe Big Bird and have him for Thanksgiving Dinner!

VorDaj on October 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Tonight’s gonna be a good night!

Christien on October 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM

We’re living in interesting times when Jon Stewart agrees with me.

22044 on October 11, 2012 at 4:56 PM

It’s interesting as a process to watch the Leftmedia striving to “change” to keep abreast of the audiences who are growing in their rejection of Obama — the media’s working with heavy snark to worm their way over into continued popularity after their all-in for Obama. Jon Stewart among those in media who are doing so.

Lourdes on October 11, 2012 at 4:56 PM

0bama will be known for the next two months as the Sesame Street President.

UltimateBob on October 11, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Black Eyed Peas. Worst Super Bowl halftime show…ever!

22044 on October 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Barack Obama can’t let it go. Big Bird is the son he never had…

VorDaj on October 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM

More like Big Bird is the father he never had.

Lourdes on October 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Stewart is embarrassed by his POTUS…but he will still vote for him.

d1carter on October 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Who knows? Maybe in the privacy of the voting booth…..? Anything can happen….? Maybe?
I’m beginning to have a little hope for the Jon Stewarts and Kirsten Powers’ out there. Hey, I’m allowed to hope….

SailorMark on October 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Stewart is embarrassed by his POTUS…but he will still vote for him.

d1carter on October 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM

That’s the truth of it, right there.

The day Stewart REALLY gets entertaining will be when he stops voting Left.

Lourdes on October 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM

The wheels coming off the bus go round and round.

monalisa on October 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM

When you’ve lost Jon Stewart…
nobar on October 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM

-You’ve lost an unfunny ,snotty, hipster doofus with no significant talent.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Giants win!

faraway on October 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM

We are just weeks away from the annual multi-million dollar ‘obama White House Halloween Gala’ – I wonder how many Sesame Street characters will be in attendance this year? Oh – or has that annual taxpayer-funded event been cancelled in the name of election-year frugality?

Pork-Chop on October 11, 2012 at 5:03 PM

The poet laureate of my generation and writer of “My Humps,” Wil.i.am

That line is laugh-out-loud funny, MKH.

Anton on October 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Daily Show? Never heard of it.

-Seth Myers

mattshu on October 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM

SailorMark on October 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Wasn’t it Jon who said after the debate, that Zero must’ve spent his cool million $ donation on WEED ???
There might possibly be hope ….. LOL.

pambi on October 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM

big bird is the !%

someone had to say it

johnnyboy on October 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM

OCCUPY SESAME STREET!!

dont taze me bro on October 11, 2012 at 5:10 PM

You have to wonder how much his campaign paid for that embarrassment.
Has anyone looked at DWS next to Big bird? other than the obvious height difference, There is an uncanny similarity. Maybe this is why he wants to protect “Big Bird”. Again, I could be wrong

Guest1.1 on October 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Stewart is embarrassed by his POTUS…but he will still vote for him.

d1carter on October 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Which goes to show what a (funny nevertheless) idiot he is…

jimver on October 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM

If I’m Paul Ryan, my favorite tonight words are:

Sesame Street Foreign Policy.

..and I repeat them over and over again.

newtopia on October 11, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Redistribution of Embarrassment. Plenty for all.

Bmore on October 11, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Jon Stewart slipped a pretty massive lie in the middle of that snark.

He claimed Mitt Romney’s only enumeration of what he would cut was Big Bird.

No. He first said he’d “get rid of that” [Obamacare], then mentioned the PBS subsidy.

His whole point was that from the biggest expenses (Obamacare) to the smallest (PBS), he’d subject expenses to the same test: “will this require borrowing from China?”

Jon Stewart is pretty clever. Jackass.

inviolet on October 11, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Daikokuco on October 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM

You’re wrong. I’m 29 and I had a few people blowing up my Facebook feed about the Big Bird comment during the debate. My wife and I don’t have children yet, but almost everyone that I went to high school with (1997-2001) have at least one child in the age range that watches Sesame Street. Of course one idiot mentioned Sprout too not knowing that it is a joint channel that is a commercial enterprise.

MobileVideoEngineer on October 11, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Huge Romney crowd “shocks” small town officials.

SIDNEY, Ohio — Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney received a warm reception on a cold evening at the Shelby County Fairgrounds Wednesday as he addressed a crowd estimated at more than 8,500 people, more than eight times the number expected to turn out. Josh Romney, one of five sons, introduced his father, describing the former governor of Massachusetts as “my hero and the next president of the United States.” As the elder Romney took the stage, the sea of people rose into a breaking wave of cell phones and cameras to capture the momentous event, chanting “four more weeks, four more weeks!” Romney told the crowd he’d been watching President Barack Obama’s rallies hearing the chants of “four more years, but said, “I’ve been looking at my calendar and I think ’four more weeks’ is more appropriate.”

Yes, Barackabama. More Big Bird, please!!!

SouthernGent on October 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Jon Stewart slipped a pretty massive lie in the middle of that snark …

inviolet on October 11, 2012 at 5:18 PM

AND, of course, Stewart is also still pushing the fully debunked $5 Trillion tax-cut claim.

There can be little doubt that Stewart is still in-the-tank for obama.

Pork-Chop on October 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Jon Stewart mocks Big Bird ad, tells Obama to ‘let it go’

Obama can’t let it go.

He can’t let go of last week’s debate debacle, either.

Combine them and all else including CNN keeping alive parts of the Benghazi disaster, and I bet he’s losing sleep.

I forget the Roman emperor who lost two Legions to the Germanics, but he reportedly roamed his palace after midnight every night screaming, “Give me back my Legions!”

I see Obama in the same light.

Liam on October 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I’m sure Stewart will vote for Obama even as he’s nudging him to get real. But I’ve asked myself if my candidate did something to loose my vote would I vote for Obama instead? ABSOLUTELY NOT. So my thought is there are a lot of ’08 Obama voters who just can’t vote for Romney, but will just just stay home.
That said, these Daily Show clips have been dee-lish!

tj4osu on October 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Look at koko giving it to t-bone!

AbeFroman on October 11, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Daikokuco on October 11, 2012

Um, Sesame Street has been on the air for more than 40 years, and children of the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s have a pretty decent connection with it. As far as the demographic you specify, that’d be young people from roughly my little brother’s age, and I can assure you we remember Sesame Street, to those born in 1994. The Tickle Me Elmo craze hit in 1996. If you were four in ’96, you’re now–oh, look at that, 20! You don’t think there’s an argument to be made— and certainly one the Obama campaign was counting on— that that might resonate with low-information young voters, especially while they’re hiding out in the bedrooms of their youth cuddling up with a worn-out Elmo doll in the absence of a job? Doesn’t mean I think Sesame Street should get subsidies or that I respect my generation for possibly making political decisions based on this silliness, but I wouldn’t put it past many of them. And, what about you? How does it feel to have purged every connection to all childhood memories the moment after you’ve experienced them? You’re probably not great with cultural references, huh? A real dead weight on a Pictionary team.

Mary Katharine Ham on October 11, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Black Eyed Peas. Worst Super Bowl halftime show…ever!

22044 on October 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM

You mean Black Eyes PEES, right? (I still can’t get over the fact that Fergie peed in her pants during a concert rather than take a break. Ew.)

chelie on October 11, 2012 at 5:36 PM

It’s a stupid ad. Completely unserious. If Mitt gave the Obama campaign sooo much material in the debate, where are the real ads?

txhsmom on October 11, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I know where Axelrod and the libs are trying to go with this and pushing it so hard. They want this to go viral and turn into a “Romney wants to kill Big Bird” internet meme. The end goal is to make Romney look foolish. However this plan is flawed and backfiring because A, it’s lame and not funny, and B, people who are into this internet meme stuff are 99% Obama supporters anyway.

tkyang99 on October 11, 2012 at 5:38 PM

VorDaj on October 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM

If Romney teams up with Colonel Sanders he’ll have the black vote locked down before you can say finger lickin’ good. :)

NapaConservative on October 11, 2012 at 5:39 PM

0 and the big bird comment has to be this century’s “Fonzie” jump the shark moment……

R&R Landslide of 2012.

RealMc on October 11, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I see Obama in the same light.

Liam on October 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Obama can just look up and ask, “What would George do?”

txhsmom on October 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Jon Stewart … tells Obama to ‘let it go’

…he can’t!…the media won’t get their hand off it!

KOOLAID2 on October 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM

A FB lib has posted every Jon skit that ridicules R&R over this BB ad.
Waiting for them to post this one.

Right ?? Right ???

pambi on October 11, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Stewart stole my line. I think i even posted it here on Hot Air that Obama was running around like George Costanza after the debate using WAAAAY to late comebacks that were WAAAAY weak.

Obama might as well as just said

“Hey Romney, the jerk store called, they are running out of you”

The way things have gone, though, im sure Romney would have come back with

“Thats alright Obama, youre their best seller”

Obama is finally getting credit for being the petty child that he is…..I will never forget his petulant “I have a bracelet too” line in a 2008 debate with McCain.

Obama is too arrogant to know when he is acting like a tool, so i fully expect him to keep laughing at his own lame jokes up until the moment the election is officially called for Mitt Romney. Then, just like after the debate, the people around him will have to explain what just happened.

alecj on October 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM

pambi on October 11, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Peace-of-mind and liberalism are diametrically-opposed concepts.

If liberals had nothing about which to complain–if all the world somehow became perfect–there would be no further need nor use of liberals.

Liam on October 11, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Might have been worth a f**k if Stewart hadn’t been doing exactly the same thing he’s lamenting just a few days ago.

I really hoped that TDS might finally take the opportunity that just about the ENTIRE F**KING MEDIA is taking and get some hits in on Obama, but all he’s been doing is continuing to whine about Romney and Fox. Disappointing, but sadly not unexpected.

MadisonConservative on October 11, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Stewart is embarrassed by his POTUS…but he will still vote for him.

d1carter on October 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Which goes to show what a (funny nevertheless) idiot he is…

jimver on October 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Dunno. Does Stewar wear the clown nose to the voting booth too?

slickwillie2001 on October 11, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Subsidizing Big Bird: Corporate Welfare.

Glad that we have a President who supports Corporate Welfare openly.

ajacksonian on October 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Stuart seems to be under the mistaken impression that there is anything else to the Obama campaign to “move on” to.

Count to 10 on October 11, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on October 11, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I would also suggest this is the kind of stuff quite a few potheads likely watch while they’re sitting at home stoned – although shows like The Simpsons, Beavis & Butthead, and the other animated series probably get much higher ratings from the college age pothead crowd – which we know is a key demographic for Obummer.

But I think there are more than enough voters, even with little kids, who understand that all the muppets are 1 percenters and are perfectly capable of staying in business without government handouts.

dentarthurdent on October 11, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I see Obama in the same light.

Liam on October 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Augustus Caesar: “Quinctilius Varus, give me back my Legions!” (“Quintili Vare, legiones redde!”)

Obuma: “Willard Mitt Romney, give me back my battleground states!!!”

I recall the story from I, Claudius (the Robert Graves book)

wraithby on October 11, 2012 at 6:20 PM

“Give me back me legions” song

wraithby on October 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Obama campaign: Mitt Romney hates Big Bird–he must be the Cookie Monster!

This message is brought to you by the number Zero, the number of Sesame Street kids who will vote for the letter O.

Steve Z on October 11, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Obuma: “Willard Mitt Romney, give me back my battleground states!!!”

I recall the story from I, Claudius (the Robert Graves book)

wraithby on October 11, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Does Big Bird speak Latin?

Steve Z on October 11, 2012 at 6:40 PM

The Spanking the media didn’t cover

CableDude on October 11, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Did you know that the guy who dresses up as Big Bird makes over $300,000/yr?? Good thing they suck up tax money.

Dollayo on October 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I want ROYALTIES!!!

08 October 2012

George Costanza Obama

Resist We Much on October 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Ryan needs to come to the debate with Big Bird’s costume head and say, “Joe, you forgot to put this part on…”.

albill on October 11, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Biden at debate: “No BB…we ain’t BFF’s, and you ain’t no BFD. You’re the ONE PERCENT and we are gonna raise your taxes so F’in HIGH…….oh wait!”

KirknBurker on October 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM

MadisonConservative on October 11, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Well said MadCon.

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM

What if Big Bird endorses Romney?

I mean….it could happen….maybe.

KirknBurker on October 11, 2012 at 7:49 PM

My, oh my, did they fowl up!!!

Schadenfreude on October 11, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I always prefered Captain Kangaroo, haha. I don’t think the Captain ever took tax money but I might be wrong. I remember watching it on CBS when I was a child. When Seseme Street came out I was already 6yrs old, a little to old for it.

Dollayo on October 11, 2012 at 8:40 PM