Video: Bret Baier grills Stephanie Cutter on her Benghazi comments

posted at 8:22 pm on October 11, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, if this were any other flack (besides Debbie Wasserman-Schultz), this afternoon’s clusterfark would have drawn some sort of quasi-apology. “I spoke inartfully,” “what I was trying to say was…,” etc. Not here. That’s not how Cutter rolls. Her shtick, apart from some theatrical defensiveness over whether anyone would dare accuse OFA of politicizing the attack, has two tracks. Track one: Point to Romney’s statement issued the morning after the attack as the first instance of politicization, which I guess we’ll call the “b-b-but he started it!” defense. That’s pitifully lame, as the complaint against the White House isn’t so much “politicization” as it is that they covered up information to mislead the American people, but the media handed Cutter this talking point by wetting themselves over Romney’s statement at the time so she’s going to use it. Which means in practice that Team O is perfectly fine with Romney commenting on Benghazi so long as he only says positive things.

Track two: Insist that the White House has been forthcoming about everything, with the shifting narrative afterward due entirely to shifts in the intelligence collected over time. We already know that that’s not true, but it does raise a question for me that I don’t think I’ve asked before. Namely, have we learned anything useful about what happened in Benghazi via an official White House or State Department release? I don’t have time right now to search systematically, but my memory from having written about this for the past four weeks is that every major revelation has come from some intelligence source whispering to Eli Lake at Newsweek or Jake Tapper at ABC or Mark Hosenball at Reuters or someone else. Cutter seems to want you to believe here that Jay Carney’s been trotting out to the podium every morning with a fresh new update of important facts to share with the public in the interest of keeping them informed. On the contrary, Carney’s been hiding under his desk to avoid this topic and most official comments on it have come via grudging reactions to questions posed by reporters based on information gleaned independently from others. (State’s belated oh-by-the-way admission about the phantom protest in front of the consulate on the eve of Issa’s hearings is a classic example.) Essentially, Cutter wants you to applaud the White House for having had the truth gradually dragged out of them. Here’s me starting a golf clap.

As an enjoyable gloss on this, go read BuzzFeed’s story about angry GOP consultants and ponderous media critics basically agreeing that the political coverage of this story would have been much different with a Republican in office. Democrats’ motives are pure, therefore security breakdowns and cover ups and “kill lists” and drone strikes and soaring warrantless electronic surveillance are, while newsworthy, not really anything to get too exercised about. That’s the whole story of the left’s reaction (or non-reaction) to O’s counterterror platform over the past four years. The media’s mostly casual interest in Benghazi is just a microcosm.

Update: Like I said, no apology:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What is the expression the kook-fringe-left favors? Bat-shit crazy?

This nutty b1tch is in a league that includes only one other player.

Jaibones on October 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM

While it’s a given that they both lie all of the time, I find DWS more irritating and less tolerable than I do Cutter.

It’s only my opinion based upon personal experience, with one particular person especially, but Cutter seems different to me than DWS in that I believe DWS, like Obama, is mentally ill, whereas Cutter’s issues strike me as being primarily emotional in nature, not mental.

Anti-Control on October 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Cutter doesn’t have to worry about resigning. She’ll be looking for a job after Nov 6th.

GarandFan on October 11, 2012 at 10:06 PM

OMG….haha. He so wanted to smack her.

SouthernGent on October 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Anti-Control on October 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM: While it’s a given that they both lie all of the time,

I’ve heard enough of this crap about how both sides are lying. How about an example where Romney and Ryan are lying you sack of sh*t?

I watched Cutter on FOX. She ate Bairs lunch with her lies. Total delusional dirtbag and typical of the lying criminal that this government has become.

woodNfish on October 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM

First Cutter,now Biden!!!!

Andrew Kaczynski‏@BuzzFeedAndrew

So Joe Biden contradicted the State Department on Benghazi security. http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/10/11/biden_contradicts_state_department_on_benghazi_security

Biden contradicts State Department on Benghazi security
Thursday, October 11, 2012 – 8:06 PM
************************************

Vice President Joe Biden claimed that the administration wasn’t aware of requests for more security in Libya before the Sept. 11 attacks on the U.S. mission in Benghazi during Thursday night’s debate, contradicting three State Department officials and the former head of diplomatic security in Libya.

“We weren’t told they wanted more security. We did not know they wanted more security there,” Biden said.

In fact, two security officials who worked for the State Department in Libya at the time testified Thursday that they repeatedly requested more security and two State Department officials admitted they had denied those requests.

“All of us at post were in sync that we wanted these resources,” the top regional security officer in Libya over the summer, Eric Nordstrom,testified. “In those conversations, I was specifically told [by Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Charlene Lamb] ‘You cannot request an SST extension.’ I determined I was told that because there would be too much political cost. We went ahead and requested it anyway.

Nordstrom was so critical of the State Department’s reluctance to respond to his calls for more security that he said, “For me, the Taliban is on the inside of the building.”

“We felt great frustration that those requests were ignored or just never met,” testified Lt. Col. Andrew Wood, a Utah National Guardsman who was leading a security team in Libya until August.

House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-CA) released the unclassified cables containing those requests.

Paul Ryan pointed out the testimony to Biden during the debate. Ryan also erred when he criticized the State Department for assigning Marines to protect the ambassador in France but not Amb. Chris Stevens, who died in Benghazi on Sept. 11.

“Our ambassador in Paris has a marine detachment guarding him, shouldn’t we have a Marine detachment guarding our ambassador in Benghazi?,” Ryan said.

According to the U.S. Embassy Paris website, there is a Marine Security Guard Detachment in the embassy, but they are there primarily to protect classified information and are not part of the ambassador’s personal security detail.

“The mission of the Marine Security Guards is to provide internal security at designated United States Diplomatic and Consular facilities to prevent the compromise of classified material and equipment which, if compromised, would cause serious damage to the national security interests of the United States; and to provide protection for U.S. citizens and property within the principal buildings of the Mission,” the website reads, noting that in certain situations the Marines might be in a position to protect the chief of mission.

Ryan also criticized President Barack Obama for attributing the Benghazi attack to an anti-Islam video and he referred tocomments today by Obama campaign spokesman Stephanie Cutter, who said the Benghazi issue was only politically relevant because the Romney-Ryan campaign was pushing it.

Biden accused Romney of spouting off about the Benghazi attack before knowing all the facts and he pledged that the administration would pursue the investigation to wherever it leads.

canopfor on October 11, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Forgive me, but I missed it …. Next time, she will bring her “what” ….

dawndawn on October 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Her “oats”? Bring her oats, was it?

Sherman1864 on October 11, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Look out, Bret, that girl gonna boil your bunny!

PattyJ on October 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM

All I know is Cutter clearly demonstrates what can go wrong with lip injections. She looks like she got punched in the mouth.

TrueNorthist on October 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Baier should go to the nearest pawn shop and hock his balls. That was one of the most pathetic performances I have ever seen by anyone on Fox. As much as I hate Cutter she kicked his ass. Allah, “Grilled”? You must have been watching some other program than the one I watched. Baier lost control of the interview in about a minute and then it was Cutter spewing her lies left and further left. Baier tried to counter her on Romney’s tax plan but could not get out a coherent sentence. Megan Kelly would have cut her mike if she didn’t let Megan have her say but not sweet little Bret. Did he think that this shark was going to come on his sweet little show and act nice? Where has he been living for the last three months? Juan Williams could have done a better job than he did.

inspectorudy on October 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM

woodNfish on October 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM

You misunderstood me – I am on your side. I was saying that DWS and Cutter lie all of the time, not that both political parties do.

Having dealt with someone who reminds me very, very much of Cutter, I believe I could have a constructive conversation with her. I think that would be an impossibility with DWS!

Anti-Control on October 12, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Only a liberal would be content with taking a bath in her own bullsh1t

Opinionnation on October 12, 2012 at 12:46 AM

She’s got the same ugly mouth and mannerisms as that creep Tamara Holder.

rayra on October 12, 2012 at 12:50 AM

I think I got it.

1 The Benghazi diplomatic staff warned the State Department of impending danger and pleaded for extra security (US Marines etc) and were ignored by the State Dept.
2 The Benghazi staff begged for a more secure building or, at least, a secure fence but the State Department deemed said secure fence “unfriendly” to our new-found Arab “friends”-”pacified” by Obama’s obsequious (ass kissing) treatment of them.
3 If Obama had not interfered in Libya (with full cooperation of Hillary Clinton’s State department)in the first place, there would have remained a fully stable country as safe to American as, say, Chillecothe, Ohio.
4 The subsequent Al Qaeda led TERRORIST attack was entirely successful (for reasons 1,2 and 3), killing 4 Americans including the Ambassador and gutting the Embassy.
5 Days passed before the gutted Embassy was secured-leaving secret documents and even the Ambassador’s diary to be picked up by third parties.
6 Both the State Department and White House played CYA and, at the same time, inanely tried to protect Obama’s policy that “kowtowing to Muslims is good for America”by blaming a film maker (and later having that film maker arrested to lend authenticity.
Now here’s where Orwellian `1984′ really kicks in. If you remember Oceania was engaged in a bitter war with Eurasia.Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia. But suddenly the scenario changes-Oceania has NEVER fought Eurasia but has ALWAYS been at war with East Asia.
7 Brazenly using the above philosophy by stating it was DEFINITELY and ONLY a SPONTANEOUS act of righteous religious anger sparked by an ant-Muslim film they stated solemnly that the word “terrorist attack” was not only “incorrect” but “irresponsible” and “indecent” and apologized to the entire Muslim World and to the UN.
8 When faced with overwhelming evidence to the contrary and even CONTRADICTORY statements by the CIA even even their own State Department that not only was it a terrorist attack but that BOTH Intelligence and State KNEW THIS FROM THE VERY BEGINNING, the White also changed its story also. Not only did they know it was a terrorist attack but they knew always knew it was a terrorist attack aqnd they always knew it was a terrorist attack. (Haven’t these people ever heard of sound bytes, stored digital videos and tapes?.) “Oceania has never been at war with Eurasia.”

SUM: Anybody with a mind larger than a cabbage must know that incompetence, cover ups, blame projection, negligent homicide, strategic and tactical military blunders and gargantuan diplomatic miscalculations were all involved here.
Unfortunately, for Obama,perhaps the worst FUBAR in American history occurred during the heat of an election campaign-and the solution to the problem was a Chicago one. Thus when Both Romney and Ryan legitimately made this FUBAR a campaign issue, you get your attack dog Stephanie Cutter to deny, deny, deny and project, project, project- and interrupt, interrupt, interrupt–Romney and Ryan are not only “playing politics” they are “unpatriotic” to boot. It’s their fault, get it? Cutter makes Baghdad Bob look like Honest Abe.

MaiDee on October 12, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Hey, AP; that was an “excellent” summation of “Benghazi Ball” as played the Obama administration.

Socialists are such magnificent liars, aren’t they?

Don L on October 12, 2012 at 5:26 AM

I watched this live. It was fun to watch.

barnone on October 12, 2012 at 8:37 AM

One other point on this explanation from the debate.

Biden said that the HE and Obama would KNOW when Iran got the nuke.

But then he said that they didn’t know for 2 weeks that here wasn’t a protest in Benghazi, even though the State Dept was on the phone telling them there wasn’t DURING the attack.

I guess he meant, if bomb detonates over Israel, they will know in just 2 weeks.

barnone on October 12, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I’m sorry but I think the Obama campaign is in utter meltdown and this crazy b*t*h just proves it

suzyque on October 12, 2012 at 8:47 AM

She’s got the same ugly mouth and mannerisms as that creep Tamara Holder.

rayra on October 12, 2012 at 12:50 AM

haha I agree.

Similarly to Cutter, I don’t find Tamara to be insane, just incredibly immature to the point that she seems like she is.

Anti-Control on October 12, 2012 at 9:29 AM

suzyque on October 12, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Don’t be sorry for thinking that!

They are in a meltdown. How could they not be, considering all the lying they’ve done about Libya, which they cannot escape from? Cutter should be replaced, but, with whom? They are screwed!

Anti-Control on October 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM

They have gone from Big Bird to bird brains on the left. I thought the clown car was full but it seems they always have room for one more. She must be the last one left running around screaming to be allowed in. It’s a good thing our enemies haven’t figured this out or we’d have been over run by them by now.

Kissmygrits on October 12, 2012 at 9:48 AM

The hypocrisy here is that Stephanie Cutter is saying they could not make a determination without a long investigation, but not so with the amateur film maker, he did not get a quiet investigation, without anyone prejudicing the public against him or moslems against him, he was thrown to the wolves without an investigation.

So, their motives are only to investigate before they say it is Al Queda, not before they accuse a citizen. Then it is ok to Jump the Gun.

I am also annoyed that they blur the line between Romney’s statement on Cairo, and his thoughts on the murder of our ambassador. Mrs. Clinton was saying it was the same thing. Gov. Romney was not.

Fleuries on October 12, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I forgot to say that I am sick of Stephanie Cutter, and i will be turning off the tv from now on when I see here, she is like Tamara Holder do you think they were separated at birth? I don’t watch Tammi any more either.

Fleuries on October 12, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Anti-Control on October 12, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Please accept my apology for misunderstanding you. I am just totally flabbergasted at the democrats and their campaign of lies which is promoted and helped by the press.

An earlier poster mentioned that Cutter has at least one other person who lies like she does. After watching Biden last night in the debate, Obama repeatedly say that Romney was lying and being deceptive in the first debate without ever stating where he lied, I’ve just had it! This whole election is the most insane, dirtiest, and dishonest one I’ve ever seen. And it is all on the left.

woodNfish on October 12, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Crazy flippin’ biyatch.

Watch her lip pursing.

Something going on there.

profitsbeard on October 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM

This bi itch could care less that an Ambassador died without being protected and that 2 Navy Seals and a Maine died and were unarmed. Their deaths are just something to explain away. She is Obama. Utmost seriousness – hell bi itch you apologized to the killers of brave Americans. Romney’s comment chided Obama for apologizing.

democratsarefools on October 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I think Cutter has better hair than DWS. Thoughts?

the_souse on October 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM

What is wrong with Cutter’s lips? I once hooked a big old catfish and when I pulled it out of the water, it’s flappy mouth looked eerily similar to Cutter’s.

We would all probably be able to look past this weird flaw if it were not for the fact that through those lips pour lie after lie after lie after lie.

natasha333 on October 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I think Cutter has better hair than DWS. Thoughts?

the_souse on October 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM

lol yesh.

I think Cutter is foxier than DWS. Thoughts?

WeekendAtBernankes on October 12, 2012 at 7:23 PM