Open thread: The VP debate

posted at 8:31 pm on October 11, 2012 by Allahpundit

9 p.m. ET across the dial. It’s true that VP debates usually don’t matter, and Gallup has the data to prove it. It’s also true that the shellacking Romney gave to the Empty Chair in Denver has created an unusual and unpredictable late swing in momentum. What we’re looking at tonight, then, isn’t so much a potential gamechanger as an opportunity to preserve a game that’s already changed. If Ryan makes a good impression, it’ll cement the impression Romney made at the last debate and give undecideds more confidence in rolling the dice on the new guys. That makes Biden’s task simple: Ensure that Ryan doesn’t make a good impression by calling him a liar, a woman-hater, blah blah. Dave Weigel went back through the Biden debate archive and found that he’s perfectly comfortable in that role:

The Clatworthy debates give us a better idea of Biden’s style than the Palin debate of 2008. That match-up was sui generis. Biden’s job then: Just don’t do anything that would make a swing voter root for the put-upon Hockey Mom. But Biden’s job, in his Senate races, was to humiliate Republicans by pointing out how cruel their policies were, and how little they knew. Abortion and women’s safety issues, which he could never deploy against Palin, are the tools he knows best. When Biden meets Ryan tonight, it would be out of character if he didn’t try to mire him in a discussion of pro-life bills and “legitimate rape.” Plenty of pols use soft language when they have to discuss those issues. Biden doesn’t.

Really, whenever an issue can be mined for pathos, Biden thrives. In the second Clatworthy debate, after the Republican failed to trap the senator into a joint PAC money-pledge press conference (“See if anyone shows up and pays attention to you,” said Biden), moderators switched the discussion to entitlements. It was 1996, and the fiscal problem du jour was whether to balance the budget by 1999 or by 2002. Clatworthy suggested that a privatized Social Security system and privatized Veterans Affairs administration would be more efficient. Biden reacted like he’d just heard a Tourettes patient question the death toll of the Holocaust.

A few days ago I predicted plenty of table-pounding atmospherics from Greasy Joe in the name of re-energizing deflated liberals and winning back wavering middle-class indies. With Obama advisors now telling Politico to expect a “very aggressive” debate, I’ll stand by that. He’s not going to win this on substance, but if he gets outrageously outraged enough, the media will award him the decision on “style” for having effectively channeled their own anger at the prospect of a GOP win. (Besides, it’s the first step in the inevitable “Obama comeback” narrative.) Hope Ryan’s ready to repel a sustained effort to keep him on the defensive, especially since, with Biden’s favorables already underwater, he doesn’t have to worry about coming off as a nice guy. Read Ace for more on why it’s foolish to underestimate him: The moderator’s under pressure not to anger the left the way Jim Lehrer did, all issues — including easy demagogue-able “war on women” trivia — are on the table, and Biden’s proved plenty of times that he’s good enough behind a mic to impress low-information voters. The left needs someone tonight who can grandstand effectively, not out-brainiac Ryan on federal budget minutiae. A guy who got elected to the Senate six times and then to the vice-presidency can grandstand effectively.

Robert Costa has a nice piece on Ryan’s exhaustive debate prep so read that while you’re waiting for the show to start. (Note the bit about Ted Olson mimicking Biden down to his hand gestures.) One obvious X factor: How much time will moderator Martha Raddatz spend on the White House’s Benghazi clusterfark? A Romney advisor told Byron York that Ryan’s prepared to hammer Obama’s “unraveling” foreign policy, but that he probably won’t get into the weeds on Libya and the subsequent cover up. That might be for the best: When it comes to terrible foreign-policy decisions endorsed by his opponent tonight, there’s an awful lot of other ground to cover.

Here’s the handy dandy Hot Air/Townhall widget for debate live-tweeting. If you’re looking for drinking-game rules, Reason has got you covered. Exit quotation: “Joe just needs to be Joe.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 30 31 32 33 34

Why are so many people using “to” instead of “too”?

Or should I say et tu, Nutstuyu.

Lighten up bro.

newtopia on October 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Tonight Paul Ryan proved he has the calm, purposeful, principled temperment to be Vice President.

Joe Biden gets frustrated much too easily.

wren on October 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

smellthecoffee on October 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Most kind of you. Thanks!

ManlyRash on October 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

The wife/woman in the first row to the left…plant?

The chubby blond lady in the front row who said Biden was on fire?

JPeterman on October 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Bingo!

Did you spot the other two?

Hint: Back row

PolAgnostic on October 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

There isn’t some mythical massive pro abortion majority.
Arssanguinus on October 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Unless you include the undecided and the still swingable female voting bloc’s. In other words, the votes that will be deciding this election.

Carnac on October 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Ryan won tonight. Mitt will do the same if Obama loses his mind like Joe did. All we need is no knockouts for the final two.

And in Mason-Dixon Florida news and Ohio internals moving hard to Romney, life is good.

Zomcon JEM on October 11, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Biden got his Dems back. Ryan astutely played well w indies.

What does that tell you about the state of the race?

This “draw” was a huge win for Romney becuz Ryan did not make any errors that will retard our momentum.

matthew8787 on October 11, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Why are so many people using “to” instead of “too”?

You to?

newtopia on October 11, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Lol! I used to do it all the time. I have tried to improve. This place has helped a great deal. I just did crack the code on who or whom. ; )

Bmore on October 11, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Gloria Borger on CNN Panel:

Paul Ryan demonstrated a “fluency in foreign policy” tonight.

wren on October 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Sweet!

I love you folks who watch CNN so I don’t have to.

JPeterman on October 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM

When I’m right, I’m right…

“An Insignificant Hour and a Half of Joe Biden Braying Like a Biblical Donkey”

Seven Percent Solution on October 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Obviously a noob.

ManlyRash on October 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Wow, you really know how stick it to someone don’t you?

I’m so wounded and humiliated by your vicious, belittling, effective attack, I don’t think I’ll be able to show my face around here for about, say, 4 years or so! How’s that sound?

Anti-Control on October 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM

This debate will be remembered, tomorrow, next week and forever for Biden being an ass.

Tater Salad on October 11, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Bingo!

Did you spot the other two?

Hint: Back row

PolAgnostic on October 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Um, what about the ethnic guy with the ear ring, right side center? A bit behind the already mentioned plant.

His words were pretty scripted, though he hadn’t practiced his lines.

cozmo on October 11, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Did you spot the other two?

Hint: Back row

PolAgnostic on October 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Were they wimenz?

JPeterman on October 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM

John the Libertarian on October 11, 2012 at 11:28 PM

..agreed.

Baxter Greene on October 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM

That was funny when Biden said that the Afghn troops are trained and can take the place of the US military

Dollayo on October 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Greetings! Just got home from the job. Husband was @ a debate party that Ted Cruz also attended. He said that Ryan did well and that Bite Me was a loud-mouthed smirking pr*ck.
Sound about right?

annoyinglittletwerp on October 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I got my first mailing for Romney today in PA. I think Mitt could be more aggressive with his campaigning here.

Philly on October 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Yep. Me, too. Ditto on being aggressive in PA. I did some volunteering when I was on vacation last week at the local GOP Victory Center and there was an air of anxious anticipation from some people, wishing R&R had a bigger presence in the state.

PatriotGal2257 on October 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM

When Biden started gibbering absolute nonsense for a few seconds straight, that was weird. Thought he was having another aneurysm.

Christien on October 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Obama will continually make smart remarks and try to under cut Romney while he speaks.

Baxter Greene on October 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Obama can try to go there. Think about it. Who would you put your money on coming out on top:
The community organizer or the CEO?

MichaelGabriel on October 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Anti-Control on October 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM

No one wants you to go away but no one wants you to try to chase others away either. What is your problem?

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Ironic that Luntz’ group is called a “focus” group. You know, I’m really tired of Luntz and his schtick. Also, is he wearing eye liner?

long_cat on October 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM

@PeterHambyCNN : CNN/ORC POLL October 3 DEBATE WATCHERS Who Was More In Touch With Problems of People Like You?
Ryan 51%, Biden 44% · 1 minute ago

@PeterHambyCNN : CNN/ORC POLL October 3 DEBATE WATCHERS Who Was More Likeable? Ryan 53% Biden 43%

sentinelrules on October 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM

My better half who is no partisan. She barely tolerates my interest in politics, informs me having watch the clip from the CNN insta poll Biden snide. I am going to copy and paste this to that thread also. She adds disgusting and poor manners. Lol!

Bmore on October 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM

watch=watched

Bmore on October 11, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I am satisfied with the way Ryan comported himself during this debate. I do wish he would have at least once directly engaged Biden and asked him to hush for just a minute. However I still think rational people saw what many of us saw. The optics favor Ryan.

Bmore on October 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM

He did – and pressed through Biden’s interruptions of him asking him to stop the interruptions.

Note my earlier post to ManlyRash regarding 3 different Bidens

Biden had a coach in the audience who was tied into the Obama campaign focus groups.

Biden as “your drunk obnoxious uncle who shouts everyone down at Thanksgiving dinner” went on way too long – there must have been a lot of Axelrod resistance to giving up on that approach.

PolAgnostic on October 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Yes and the Moderator the Obama Shill that she was attacked Ryan for it. She completely ran this debate two on one.

Steveangell on October 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Are they committed enough to take this administration down?

We’re doing our best out here as ordinary citizens to GOTV, but I can tell you that none of us feel safe or sleep well at night. We haven’t for a long time.

Cody1991 on October 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Ever had somebody who knew jack about what you’ve spent your life doing BLAME YOU for THEIR LIES in public?

The intelligence community has lots of smart people who are very experienced and very proud of their work.

Joe Biden just made enemies out of 90% of those thousands of people.

Out of those thousands, several hundred have more knowledge of what is REALLY being FU’d than Joe Biden …

… and have the means and methods to settle the score with leaks.

DUMB MOVE.

PolAgnostic on October 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Most kind of you. Thanks!

ManlyRash on October 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Anytime.

Anti-Control on October 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Sounds great to me. Btw, your face.

smellthecoffee on October 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Sound about right?

annoyinglittletwerp on October 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Yes. Go and look at the picture on Drudge for further explanation.

JPeterman on October 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Whats with the Hannity hate?

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I wonder if Obama thinks he should follow Biden’s example next debate? It would probably be hard in a town hall setting but I think it’s a bad idea.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Zomcon JEM on October 11, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Don’t be overconfident. Now we need to work harder than before. STill 25 days to go.

ptcamn on October 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Anti-Control on October 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM

…constipation?

KOOLAID2 on October 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on October 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Yep, and Biden lied his hindquarters off but he still scored some points.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM

JPeterman on October 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Day-UM!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Why are so many people using “to” instead of “too”?

Or should I say et tu, Nutstuyu.

Lighten up bro.

newtopia on October 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Sorry, I really need to punch Joe but I don’t want to have to buy a new TV again.

Nutstuyu on October 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Sound about right?

annoyinglittletwerp on October 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Greetings, your husband is being too kind to Biden.

PolAgnostic on October 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Biden lost because we will be talking about how rude he was tomorrow. Don’t forget ’08, style matters.

Tater Salad on October 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM

CNN killing Ryan on fact checks. Expect morning newspapers to headline with that.

Carnac on October 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Yep, and Biden lied his hindquarters off but he still scored some points.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Biden is going to be called out on all of his lies tomorrow.

Good payback for the “Romney lied” crap we heard in the last debate.

JPeterman on October 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Philly on October 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM

PatriotGal2257 on October 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Speaking of aggressive, I’m still waiting for my Romney bumper stickers ordered over a month ago.

Nutstuyu on October 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Leave Manly alone. He did what he had to do and he fell on his sword. Then he spent 4 years in the wilderness, and he’s back, for which those of us with discernment here on HA are glad. Why don’t you do something useful and drop your snark on any of the 10-odd trolls who are fouling up the site tonight, instead of ankle-biting?

smellthecoffee on October 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Hey dude, or dudette, ever hear of, “Don’t dish it if you can’t take it”? Did you not notice that UnManlyRash threw out “Grinning Dimwit” before I did?

If that doesn’t matter to you, then it doesn’t matter to me what you think about my behavior here. That sounds only fair, doesn’t it?

Anti-Control on October 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM

You know, I’m really tired of Luntz and his schtick.

long_cat on October 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Frank Luntz and his gaggle of undecided idiots with dials.

I turn him off every time he comes on. In my opinion, he loses elections for Republicans. He’d have watered down Reagan.

Marcus on October 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I don’t hate him but I don’t normally watch or listen to him. I always get the feeling that he has to repeat the same thing a certain number of times or he turns into a toad or gets a pay cut. I find the repetition slightly annoying even though he does a good job.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Like Hannity ok. Just the repetitive hammering and hammering of 2 or 3 talking points is a bit much.

How’s the retirement treating you?

donkichi on October 11, 2012 at 11:43 PM

JPeterman on October 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM

How do Cutter and Biden think they are going to get away with it?

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Here’s the CNN Breaking News email that just arrived in my Inbox:

A combative debate Thursday between Vice President Joe Biden and Republican challenger Paul Ryan came down to the issue of trust.

Ryan repeatedly criticized the Obama administration as taking the nation in the wrong direction by hindering economic recovery and weakening its influence around the world. Biden called several of Ryan’s remarks “malarkey” and challenged Americans to trust their common sense when judging proposals by the Republican challengers.

Forty-eight percent of registered voters who were watching the debate say Ryan won, while 44% say Biden won, according to a CNN/ORC International Poll. The sampling error was +/- 5%.

Tonight marked the only 2012 vice presidential debate. President Obama and Mitt Romney face off in their second debate on Tuesday at Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York. CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley will moderate the event.

conservative pilgrim on October 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Anti-Control on October 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Sounds great to me. Btw, your face.

smellthecoffee on October 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM

For what it’s worth, Anti-COntrol’s commentary is pretty Conservative. I’m not sure what it serves making a bunch of enemies with each other tonight.

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM

donkichi on October 11, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Pretty well, are you still overseas?

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Preibus is drunk.

JPeterman on October 11, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Biden interrupts Ryan 82 times, annoys viewers

The moderator let it happen and even participated which is bad enough but was made worse in that Ryan himself was too accepting of it.

He should’ve straight up told Joe to shut up.

Yakko77 on October 11, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Ryan was calm, cool and collected. Biden was Biden. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

Great to see you ManlyRash.

kareyk on October 11, 2012 at 11:45 PM

It’s all good. Hey, if you’re a Mitt fan this was a good night for you. Remember, it’s Biden whose the incumbent here and on substance and style Ryan more than held his own. Ties go to the challenger, and I’d give this debate to Ryan.

newtopia on October 11, 2012 at 11:46 PM

They try the abortion thing in every single election. It never moves the needle.

Arssanguinus on October 11, 2012 at 11:47 PM

How do Cutter and Biden think they are going to get away with it?

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I think that Buffoon Biden may have knocked Stephanie Cutter off the front page tomorrow.

JPeterman on October 11, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Titans tie it. Go, Tennessee!

Christien on October 11, 2012 at 11:47 PM

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 11:45 P

Nope. Running the crew out there from VA these days. Make a few trips for time to time though..

donkichi on October 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Were they wimenz?

JPeterman on October 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Nope. Men – they were a little more subtle but for future reference – listen to who has well constructed sentences that favor one candidate over another.

Twenty years ago, we told the plants,

“Phrases – not complete sentences.”

Everyone always wanted to sound “smart” and wanted us to give them complete sentences. We would coach them on the questions (most of which we supplied if we could) they were likely to be asked and give them one or two phrases that we had chosen for appeal to independents.

If they would not listen, they did not get planted.

PolAgnostic on October 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM

I got that, Cindy. We don’t have a lot of folks like that on our side though. I’ll take the repetition of Hannity over the equivication of some of the other “Conservative” commentators.

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

pt – and don’t worry – I have no intention of letting off the gas.

As for CNN factcheckers – no one believes factcheckers anymore. From anywhere. Obama isn’t winning on the facts any way he might try to play it.

Zomcon JEM on October 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

newtopia on October 11, 2012 at 11:46 PM

So, has this debate with another Romney campaign “win” moved the needle for you in any way, newtopia?

Highlar on October 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 11:45 P

donkichi on October 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I worry about old friends I see go. You’re still on the very short list of HA folks I’ve met personally.

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM

O/T: Titans just beat the Steelers…

… no one wake up Ed.

Seven Percent Solution on October 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Titans 26 – Steelers 23 final seconds field goal.

RickB on October 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Associated Press Poll

Ryan 51%
Biden 43%

sentinelrules on October 11, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Some guy at Mediate thinks the moderator was the model for all future debates. Really?

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Seven Percent Solution on October 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM

RickB on October 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Very good. Still think of them as the Oiler’s though.

cozmo on October 11, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Yankees Orioles in the 13th.

Zomcon JEM on October 11, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Anti-Control on October 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Perfectly. I just react when people whose usernames I don’t recognize fling poo at people’s who usernames I do recognize and respect. Kapiche? Besides, I’ve watched enough poo-flinging from Uncle Joe tonight–I don’t need to see it here.

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I don’t care about his/her/its’ politics. A little respect from people who are new seems in order, though.

smellthecoffee on October 11, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Ryan is known as the “nicest man in the U.S. Congress” and I’m not kidding. Start with that and he hasn’t been in a debate since he was 28, in his first race, and I think you have to say the guy did OKAY. He didn’t give away anything (as in sound bites) and he seemed balanced and reasoned.

However, having said that, I believe he could have slam dunked this thing if, one time, he would have looked straight at Joe and said, “There are millions of American’s out of work, millions of seniors worried about the future of Medicare because you’ve scared them senseless, on purpose, and there are four dead Americans come home the wrong way from Libya. I don’t see what’s funny about that, Joe, so maybe you can let the rest of us in on the joke.”

I mean, at some point, you’re responsible if you’re up there. Harken back to Regan’s “I paid for this microphone” moment.

So, all in all, not a bad night for Paul Ryan. That’s who he is. But, he needed to call Biden on the attitude he demonstrated while talking about some very serious topics. I hate to say this (only because of the backlash it might generate from some) but JB would not have gotten away with that crap if Sarah had been up there.

A highlight of the 2008 debate was when she told him (paraphrasing), “I might not answer the question the way you want me to or the moderator wants me to, but I’m going to talk directly to the American people.”

Sorry, it just gets to me to see Biden get away with that Bulls***. But, again, Paul’s a great guy and, in the end, there probably were no votes changed, which is bad news for Obama. He needed JB to come in and throw a few touchdowns to get back in the game and he spent the entire time hamming it up for the cheerleaders and giggling like a lunatic.

IndieDogg on October 11, 2012 at 11:52 PM

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I know, they all do a good job in different ways and appeal to different folks. It’s a good thing.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Detroit piling on the A’s – ouch

Zomcon JEM on October 11, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Titans win. Awesome!

Christien on October 11, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Orioles 2 – Yankees 1 top of 13th.

RickB on October 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 11:45 P

donkichi on October 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM

And I worry about all of our folks, yours and mine. Times are rough. Some of our quieter locations are getting hammered and we cannot even put up a show of force. sMH.

You being the only HA alum that I have personally met are welcome over to the abode any time you are in town. We got a local distillery that makes some top shelf bourbon that I like to treat my guests too. Come by some time and grab a snifter or two.

donkichi on October 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Indie – Ryan looks to be winning all the after debate polling – CNN, AP, FOX, CNBC. We are more than fine.

Zomcon JEM on October 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Carnac on October 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Yes and Uncle Joe as any good proggy will (not) admit to…
If you state your lies forcefully and with conviction,

somebody, somewhere will eat the horse shyte you’re shoveling.

OkieDoc on October 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM

O/T: Titans just beat the Steelers…

… no one wake up Ed.

Seven Percent Solution on October 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Good deal, he’ll be grumpy in the a.m. before coffee. Good time for me to request a little hammer swinging from him. Thanks for the tip 7%. ; )

Bmore on October 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Whats with the Hannity hate?

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM

What hawkdriver said.

I happen to like and appreciate Sean despite his flaws, consider him a great ally, and I felt like defending him against UnManlyRash’s gratituous insult by using the same method UnManlyRash used against him. Why should anyone have a problem with that?

I’ll readily admit that I do not respect people who insult first, but whine when it’s redirected back at them.

Anti-Control on October 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Gloria Borger on CNN Panel:

Paul Ryan demonstrated a “fluency in foreign policy” tonight.

wren

You’re kidding me! Gloria Borger? CNN?
What’s going on?
Even a little praise is unheard of from these people.

They’re letting a little daylight separate them and President Fiasco-du-jour?

Typicalwhitewoman on October 11, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Manly(?)Gash: Don’t go away mad, just go away for another four years. P*ssy.

the new aesthetic on October 11, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Good goind RNC

Schadenfreude on October 11, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Well, I have to say while I hated the moderator, I actually really love this debate “style”. It gives the candidates a chance to actually “debate” the issues. I don’t think the moderator helped in this debate at all (and in fact was trying to help Biden all the way).

Highlar on October 11, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Congrats to the Titans, from an unhappy Steelers fan.

22044 on October 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM

IndieDogg on October 11, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Simple rule of politics: “You lose 99 times out of 100 by getting angry. Those are not odds we want to bet on.”

Hence why they tried to have Biden be rude, loud and SMILE!

Which fell into the 99 times category.

Ryan did the right thing.

Oh, Biden getting pushy with the moderator towards the end – another mistake – women do NOT accept seeing that happen on TV.

PolAgnostic on October 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Good going RNC

Schadenfreude on October 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Anti-Control on October 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I don’t know what transpired between you and Manly-but speaking as someone who’s been commenting here a few weeks shy of six years-MR is a great conservative and a class act, His presence on HA has been sorely missed.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 12, 2012 at 12:03 AM

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM

smellthecoffee on October 11, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Last comment from me on the subject and I’m done. We’re all conservative friends here.

Anti-Control on October 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Cindy is a personal friend. I guarentee the right exchange of words right now would make her one of yours too. She is not a person to engage in very bitter exchanges.

Let’s, if we can, just back off a tad and start over.

hawkdriver on October 12, 2012 at 12:03 AM

This was the worst excuse for a “debate” EVER!!! Inexplicitly, the “moderator” was seated IN FRONT of the candidates, so that she was included in all of the shots: WHY???? Nobody was tuned in to hear the “moderator”.

The “moderator” was so obviously a Democrat shill. Even if you didn’t know that Obama was a guest at her wedding (which should have been a disqualifier), it was obvious that her mission was to promote Biden/Obama. She would ask Ryan a question, and then interrupt him almost immediately before he had a chance to answer it…and then turn the balance of the time over to Biden. She also used Democrat-talking-point-slanted questions, and made little or no attempt to balance the time. Biden always got plenty of time.

The result was more like a lefty “news show” panel (2 lefties ganging up on a conservative) or an unserious show like the View than a real “debate”.

I wish the “Presidential Commission” would address the structural problems with this format and provide “moderators” who actually moderate. Lacking a moderator who is “neutral” or “fair,” it would be far better to let a Romney-chosen moderator and an Obama-chosen moderator alternate, allotting equal time to each, and use some neutral means (time clock tied to a light, etc.) to enforce equal time allotments to the candidates.

Between the moderator and Joe Biden’s constant interruptions, I’m sure Ryan got no more than 1/3 of the time Joe Biden got. This poor excuse for a “moderator” should NEVER be allowed to conduct a similar event…EVER AGAIN!!!

Despite it all, Ryan did a good job of presenting himself as a serious problem solver…as opposed to Biden, who seemed to think that “debating” was just a matter of yelling Democrat memes over and over again. He was obviously trying to get a chance to portray Ryan as an inexperienced kid, but Ryan was more than aware of what Joe was trying to do and didn’t fall for any of Biden’s clumsy tricks. Ryan delivered the clear message that the difference between the candidates was that Romney/Ryan would embrace problems and solve them rather than run away from them and give speeches.

This format stinks, and should be scrapped if it cannot be drastically reformed. A better and more informative alternative would be to give each side 20 minutes of free time for alternating video attack ads.

landlines on October 12, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Highlar on October 11, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I agree, the style was good.

Cindy Munford on October 12, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Good goind RNC

Schadenfreude on October 11, 2012 at 11:58 PM

WOW! Wonderful response time and he is really creepy looking after the third or fourth time.

Thank you for the link!

PolAgnostic on October 12, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Good going RNC

Schadenfreude on October 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Wow…that was fast. Good on you, RNC! :D

Highlar on October 12, 2012 at 12:06 AM

It’s going to be hard for the networks to fact-check Biteme because to do that, first they would have to figure out what the h he was talking about. How do you factcheck jibberish?

slickwillie2001 on October 12, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Good going RNC

Schadenfreude on October 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Good stuff, puts the whole evening into perspective.

JPeterman on October 12, 2012 at 12:06 AM

ptcamn on October 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Yeah, Zero could always send B-2′s full of bunkerbusters to kill Iran’s nuke program. Bibi’s help on “bomb bomb bomb, bomb Iran” would seal the win for Zerobama.

Remember 1979? when NUKE IRAN bumperstickers were everywhere?

Yeah, neither does the Obama Campaign.

Who is John Galt on October 12, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Anti-Control on October 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM

None of us agree on everything. I would hate to be deprived of either commenters over a personal preference in conservative commentators.

Cindy Munford on October 12, 2012 at 12:09 AM

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Too many people want to get into a pissing contest to see who’s the most conservative. Not being able to handle someone else having a differing point-of-view or opinion is what liberals do, so I’m not sure I understand why we have all the in-fighting, either.

mintycrys on October 12, 2012 at 12:09 AM

About bed time. Lurk for a few more and then outie. Sleep well friends.

donkichi on October 12, 2012 at 12:10 AM