Luke Skywalker: Obama reminds me of Obi-Wan Kenobi because he’s so wise

posted at 7:46 pm on October 11, 2012 by Allahpundit

Something to cleanse the palate while we wait for Paul Ryan to attack the Death Star in Kentucky. All of you already knew that Hamill is a liberal, yes? (So much so that the story of the haircut that Romney forced on a classmate in high school appears to weigh heavily in his electoral calculations.) If not, here’s a rule of thumb that will serve you well: Virtually everyone associated with “Star Wars” is an out-and-proud leftist. There may be a Jawa somewhere in the cast who votes libertarian, but opinion among the major players appears to be as varied as storm troopers’ uniforms. In fairness to Hamill, though, O is a bit like Obi-Wan: He performs mind tricks on dull-witted apparatchiks; he leaves his underlings equipped to defend themselves with little more than the Force; and judging from the polls lately, it looks like he’s headed for an early exit from the movie. It’s Cenk, however, who’s right about Biden. He’s much more like Chewbacca than Uncle Owen — primitive yet loyal, and not ineffective when the chips are down.

Speaking of O’s early exit, and in the interest of redeeming this dumb post with actual information, go look at today’s Gallup tracker. Romney bounced out to a two-point lead after O’s Denver debacle but then slid back into a tie yesterday, raising the question of whether his surge was a bounce that would soon fade or something more enduring. Today’s result: Romney back up by a point. Not smoking-gun proof of durability, but a promising sign. Also promising:

Republican rival Mitt Romney picked up 3 points to lead U.S. President Obama 49 percent to 46 percent, a United Press International poll indicated Thursday.

Romney’s lead, which was within the poll’s 4.5 percentage-point margin of error, was based on a national survey taken by UPI-CVoter pollsters in the days following the first presidential debate.

It is the first time Romney has had the lead since the UPI poll began this election cycle.

Of the last seven national polls taken, Romney leads in five, is tied in one, and trails Obama — by a single point — in the other, which is, er, Rasmussen’s. Larry Sabato’s Crystal Ball calculus just moved Virginia from “leans Democrat” to “toss-up” and Florida from “toss-up” to “leans Republican,” and Susequhanna’s pollster tells Guy Benson that Pennsylvania might be more competitive than you think. The Romney campaign is also poised to outspend Obama on ads this week, the first time that’s happened in the course of campaign. The Force is strong with this one.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

And Mark Hamill is…Ahhh….a washed up wanna be actor that only did Star Wars and three other movies nobody has seen. A guess the Obumbler only has the Wing Bats to back him now.

Tbone McGraw on October 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I wish people would lay off the age-related insults. I think the guy is in his 60s now, maybe late 50s? Some people manage to remain youthful looking and thin up into their 50s and beyond, but lots gain weight and get receding hairlines, wrinkles, etc.

Anyway, I’m a Star Wars fan, and so it’s a let down to hear one of the stars publicly supporting a politician whose views are the opposite of mine.

Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) is also, unfortunately, very left wing.

TigerPaw on October 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Wasn’t this posted earlier? I remember commenting…

Othniel on October 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM

GOP Huddle!

Andrew Kaczynski ‏@BuzzFeedAndrew

Boehner, Romney, Portman and Huckabee call Paul Ryan to wish him good luck. pic.twitter.com/aN7iiK6d

canopfor on October 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM

2) This isn’t Luke, it’s Luuke.

Javahog on October 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I see someone remembers his Timothy Zahn.

Count to 10 on October 11, 2012 at 8:21 PM

So, let me get this straight. Not Fast and Furious. Not the Economy. Not the unemployment numbers. Not the support for terrorists in Libya, Egypt and Syria. Not the Benghanzi attack and cover up. Not the Yemen attack. Not the callous attitude towards the US Military. Not the dead servicemen and women due to his enemy appeasing ROE. Not the bowing to every foriegn leader. Not the betrayal to Israel. Not the dismal debate performance. None of that turns the Hollywood Left off?

So tell me again why they were so upset at George Bush?

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Interesting you should mention these points, Hawk. I emailed a similar list to a lib friend of mine with the question: “So, you support your guy, Obama, in spite of the following.”

Her response to me: “Yes.”

Lefties truly are mental cases.

GrannyDee on October 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM

O is a bit like Obi-Wan: He performs mind tricks on dull-witted apparatchiks

Nicely done, AP.

John the Libertarian on October 11, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Much like Obi-Wan, Obama is a fictitious character played by an actor who is good at reading lines prepared by other people.

morganfrost on October 11, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) is also, unfortunately, very left wing.

TigerPaw on October 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM

most of Hollyweird is very liberal / progressive …. they are use to
using other peoples money …..

conservative tarheel on October 11, 2012 at 8:23 PM

morganfrost on October 11, 2012 at 8:23 PM

And was born outside of the U.S.?

Joking! Joking!

malclave on October 11, 2012 at 8:24 PM

malclave on October 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM

May you fall off your broom. :)

OldEnglish on October 11, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Tbone McGraw on October 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM

That’s another put down I get tired of hearing about Hamill – he did the first three Star Wars movies. Even if all he ever made was the very first one, that would have been fine.

To have had a role in Star Wars IV A New Hope is all the credibility an actor needs, IMO.

Hamill has a successful career doing voice work for cartoons and video games.

TigerPaw on October 11, 2012 at 8:25 PM

How’s it going in Tunisia lately, Mark? Looks like Obi-Won left the place to your Tusken Raider pals.

Christien on October 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Mark has a point. Obi-wan cut off Anakin’s legs and an arm and left him on life support. Just like Obama did with the economy.

gwelf on October 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM

The real takeaway from Star Wars is that we need a big government to take care of everything.

gwelf on October 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM

The comments in the original thread were great. Thanks for the laughs, HA, and the Jedi mind trick, AP.

tuffy on October 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM

The Sand People were scared of Obi-wan. Obama? Not so much.

CableDude on October 11, 2012 at 8:30 PM

A guy whose only skill is reading other people’s words is a big fan of a guy whose only skill is reading other people’s words. This is news?

OhioCoastie on October 11, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I will probably never watch Star Wars again. It’s now ruined for me. Kind of like Shawshank Redemption.

gophergirl on October 11, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Me too! I used to watch the Shawshank Redemption whenever it came on. But then Susan Sarandon couldn’t shut her liberal pie hole and her boytoy Timmy boy was just as bad. Morgan Freeman just makes me shake my head. Both ruined it for me.

texasmagnolia on October 11, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Why does it look like he’s turning into the emperor?

Free Constitution on October 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Two words:

Has. been.

PatriotGal2257 on October 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Obi Wan, if you count the prequels, made some rather disasterous assumptions and decision that resulted in the rise of Darth Vader. Then he went into hiding (of sorts, I think) while Luke, who grew up from that time, became an adult (say 18 years old).

Alec Guinness was about 62 or 63 at the time of the first Star Wars movie. If you compare President Obama’s current age, roughly 51, that’s an 11 year difference. Not quite 18 years but close enough for my silliness. :)

So Obama is Obi Wan at the end of Prequel 3, Revenge of the Sith, having made what seem like a number of bad decision that brought ruin to the Jedi and the Old Republic. He has not yet had time to reflect on the decisions he made and their effects and learn from them.

So Mark Hamill is right! Obama is Obi Wan. He just got which Obi Wan it is wrong.

I will suggest that maybe we should do whatever we can to let him have that time to think. :)

Russ808 on October 11, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Mark Hamill is now where near as messed up as Harrison Ford.

Flange on October 11, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Never did get to see the movie.

Bmore on October 11, 2012 at 8:40 PM

No loss I assume.

Bmore on October 11, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Mark Hamill looks horrible.

How old is he?

65?

PappyD61 on October 11, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Give Luke a break, he doesn’t know any better, he’s got Vader blood…

shep29 on October 11, 2012 at 8:42 PM

STAR WARS………most over-rated movie series EVER!!!!

Worst dialogue in movie history.

Best character in movie lore………Yoda.

PappyD61 on October 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM

So sad.

Is there some reason that Current TV set looks like a bunker / mom’s basement?

rayra on October 11, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Mark Hamill is now where near as messed up as Harrison Ford.

Flange on October 11, 2012 at 8:36 PM

YOU LEAVE CALLISTA FLOCKHART ALONE!!1!!!

rayra on October 11, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Someone has not aged well.

talkingpoints on October 11, 2012 at 8:49 PM

OhioCoastie on October 11, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Give Mark some credit: he’s one of the people that took the crap that Lucas wrote and turned it into something good.

Count to 10 on October 11, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Socratease on October 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I’ll give Mark Hamill credit. He’s legit. He’s a full-on, 100%, unabashed leftist through and through, and has been since the 60s.

Listened to him interview on Kevin Smith’s “Fatman on Batman” podcast. Hamill was a hardcore McGovernite. His leftist street cred here is unassailable. No bandwagoner is he.

…Love Mark’s voicework as the Joker. My wife adores him for that.

But yeah, same old same old. The travails of a conservative trying to enjoy entertainment. Separate art from the artist’s politics.

Hawkins1701 on October 11, 2012 at 9:03 PM

YOU LEAVE CALLISTA FLOCKHART ALONE!!1!!!

rayra on October 11, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Trust me, I will. She looks like a well worn starlet. I’m pretty sure she didn’t land that role on Ally McBeal based on talent.

Flange on October 11, 2012 at 9:03 PM

LOL, good heavens, what a sh1twit this guy turned out to be.

Midas on October 11, 2012 at 9:10 PM

There are similarities

Jack Squat Bupkis on October 11, 2012 at 9:14 PM

It is a good thing I can separate politics from my entertainment choice otherwise I wouldn’t be able to feed my inner SW geek.

So Mr. Luke Skywalker I will simply ignore you while I blast the Imperial March on my iPod.

Dum dum dum dummm dadum dummmm dadum….

NerwenAldarion on October 11, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I believe hamill was in a serious car accident which left him looking less like Luke Skywalker and more like Palapatine.

Fatal on October 11, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Luke is looking more and more like his father.

bigmike on October 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Don’t forget everyone, he’s the current voice of the Joker (probably the best work he’s ever done), as well as Futurama’s Chanukah Zombie.

Also, a dumb lefty. But a great Joker.

sobincorporated on October 11, 2012 at 9:47 PM

What does Biden find so funny? The economy? The dead ambassador in Libya? Solyndra going under? Agent Brian Terry’s death? The rise of the Muslim Brotherhood in the Middle East? Afghanistan? Anyone know?

TheDriver on October 11, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Mark has gotten too many paychecks from playing villains these days, he’s losing perspective on things.

Ukiah on October 11, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Luuke drank too much Kool-Aid when he was on Dagobah. I guess that’s all Yoda had besides swamp-water.

Actors are actors because they don’t have any idea who they really are, therefore they have to pretend to be someone else living a pretend life in an alternate reality. When they can’t resolve their disconnect with this life they all feel they have to make assinine political statements.

Hey Luuke…STFU, already!

belad on October 11, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Mark Hamill? Isn’t he dead?

woodNfish on October 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Obama reminds me of Obi-Wan Kenobi because he’s so wise

Said the recurring voice actor on Robot Chicken.

tommytom02 on October 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM

This would be very sad to me if George Lucas hadn’t already killed off my childhood memories a decade or so ago.

diesirae on October 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Obama reminds me of Obi-Wan Kenobi because he’s so wise

Hamill reminds me of ET; I think it’s his eyes.

VerbumSap on October 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM

It appears that the Force is no longer very strong with Mark Hamill.

Indeed there seems to be a bit a a Jabba-esqueness to him now.

dissent555 on October 11, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Is it just me? http://twitpic.com/b3a5y0

The Zoo Keeper on October 11, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Obama reminds me of Obi-Wan Kenobi because he’s so wise

These are not the 2 brains cells you’re looking for.

locomotivebreath1901 on October 11, 2012 at 11:09 PM

From the world of make believe…..

Hening on October 11, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Hamill was almost killed in a car wreck and had his face re built. That accounts for his appearance so leave that off the table. Actually it should always be left off the table. His views, however, are fair game for ridicule so have at it!

LeftCoastRight on October 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM

If Kenobi was so wise, why did he fail to end Vader’s reign of terror when he had the chance…. twice.

Hog Wild on October 11, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Star Wars? Way over rated anyway. Little teddy bears, big teddy bears and blobs.

46blitz on October 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

You know, the prequels weren’t bad enough to make me not want to watch the movies.

This crap comes pretty close.

jjrakman on October 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Hamill has a successful career doing voice work for cartoons and video games.

TigerPaw on October 11, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Yeah,I can see the voice over work,there’s not many that can talk out of their azzholes like Mark…This guy should join Jeff Dunham and they can both be azzholes and unfunny at the same time!

Tbone McGraw on October 12, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Mark Hamill looks horrible.

He’s looked horrible ever since the car accident after the first movie. He’s 61.

I was 14 when Star Wars came out. We all had a crush on him. Not so much after the accident.

Common Sense on October 12, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Is there anyone left in the Star Wars universe that I have not lost respect for?!

I guess Bib Fortuna(he was the blue, tentacle-headed right-hand man to Jabba the Hutt in ROTJ) was right when he summed up Luke Skywalker, “He’s no Jedi.”

Sterling Holobyte on October 12, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Goodness! Who’s idea was it to call in this hack.?This loser wasn’t even invited for a cameo to the other Star Wars movie.

RdLake on October 12, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Look at this way….Many Libs have to deal with the fact that Clint Eastwood,Bruce Willis, and Ironman, Downey Jr. are Republicans.

And they did a ton of movies..:lol

dec5 on October 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Anyone who was in The Guyver ought to lay low

entagor on October 12, 2012 at 2:27 AM

When did Luke Skywalker morph into Jabba the Hut? Very disturbing . . .
I need to lie down.

TheStatistQuo on October 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Jeez.

It’s limousine liberal celebritard tools like Mark Hamill that taught me long ago that actors are absolutely nothing but con artists. Literally. Making their fortune by simply pretending to be someone and/or something they are not — never have been — nor ever will be — and swindling everyone vapid enough to throw their money at them in the process.

It must just have to permeate every fiber of their being and every moment of their lives — the lies and the deceit — the epic pretending to be relevant way way beyond their actual efficaciousness. Reduced to little more than a useful tool just to feel that twinge of relevancy — however slight. How could it not?

FlatFoot on October 12, 2012 at 3:15 AM

“The FAT is strong in this one.”

LizardLips on October 12, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Joker

V-rod on October 12, 2012 at 4:32 AM

The stupid is strong with this one.

Yephora on October 12, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Luke did not age well.

curved space on October 12, 2012 at 5:53 AM

Mark Hamill? Isn’t he dead?

woodNfish on October 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM

No. Just his career.

bigmacdaddy on October 12, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Once a booger-eating spaz, always a booger-eating spaz.

ZK on October 12, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Hamill needs to stick with what he knows: Comic books and whining.

CrustyB on October 12, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Typical Hollywood bullfeces. I’m not going to stop liking Star Wars or Batman because of it, but Hamill does lose me a bit as a fan. If you’re going to use your celebrity to trash talk, then your celebrity will face the consequence. Contrast this with Sean Astin. He’s also a Democrat, campaigned for Hillary Clinton in 2008, admitted to liking Michael Moore to me in a conversation about celebrities and politics at a sci-fi convention, and most likely an Obama supporter now. However, he is not disrespectful. He does not insult. I remain a fan and can enjoy his performance without any problems despite our political differences.

Of course, it’s still nice to have Hollywood celebrities on our side – Adam Baldwin, Gary Sinise, Kelsey Grammer, Patricia Heaton (She was a pleasant surprise when I found out.), Tom Selleck, Clint Eastwood, etc.

hadsil on October 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Come to think of it, I can’t remember another movie Hamill starred in after the Star Wars series-but I would have to think that being a one-shot has- been is irrelevant-especially as regards his political beliefs.

The question I want to know is why so many Hollywood stars are so overwhelmingly liberal (probably in the 90′s percentile) when one would assume they are harvested from a general population which still leans slightly conservative. The answer is the same as Michele Malkin has for people in the Obama Administration-CRONYISM.

Virtually all the HollYwood “machers”—producers, directors, financiers are fanatically liberal in their political beliefs-many even socialist or Marxist in their ideological outlook. Obviously, to get movie parts it helps to be a relative, close friend or a “True Believer”. All others get hung out to dry.

MaiDee on October 12, 2012 at 9:27 AM

“…delusions of grandeur.”

-Han Solo

labrat on October 12, 2012 at 10:05 AM

How did Luke Skywalker turn into such a dufus.

Axion on October 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Good line above (several times)

Actors are good if they do well reading the lines written by others.

Maybe there’s so many liberals in Hollywood because they make good parrots.

TerryW on October 12, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Obama told Mark that his favorite movie is “Laser Hawk“.

profitsbeard on October 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Hamel has had a long career in Voice acting and was/is a better “Joker” then Heath Ledger. Just saying

Resolute on October 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM

How did Luke Skywalker turn into such a dufus.

Axion on October 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Well, remember what happened to his father?! He listened to and believed the lies of an evil authority figure. Like father, like son, looks like.
His father eventually redeemed himself at the end there, realizing the error of following an evil dictator. Maybe that will happen with “Luke” also.

Sterling Holobyte on October 12, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Is it just me? http://twitpic.com/b3a5y0

The Zoo Keeper on October 11, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Scary!

If I didn’t know that the guy who played Palpatine also played the Emperor, I would’ve thought that Mark Hamill played him from that pic.

So no, it is not just you.

Sterling Holobyte on October 12, 2012 at 1:13 PM

With all due respect to the other fine commenters on HA, I think we’re looking at this from the wrong perspective.

Maybe Hamill will really vote for Obama or maybe he’ll secretly vote for Romney. Considering the reactions of the “tolerance” crowd to the singer who openly announced she’s voting for Romney (her name escapes me), I wouldn’t doubt that Hamill is publicly supporting Obama.

I actually blame these so-called “news” shows where the anchors are nothing more then celebrity-wannabe’s. Hollywood celebrities are so far outside of the mainstream so who give’s a rat’s a$$ what these people think? I don’t care who Hamill will choose because his money will certainly be safe if Obama wins.

What I want to know is if these news “joke” shows are so intent on providing the truth then why not talk to blue collar workers, small business owners, doctors, coal miners, etc.? Why not ask the real Americans who actually hold down jobs and pay taxes?

I know the answer to that question just like the rest of you. I really don’t hold animosity to Hamill because he is who he is. The purpose of this interview is to:

1) Enable the anchor to rub elbows with the big starts. Anchors want to be liked so they want to hang out with the “cool” crowd.
2) They think that some dumba$$ Star Wars fanatic will think, “Wow, Luke Skywalker favors Obama! Count me in!” I like Star Trek but I’m not a fanatic. If Leonard Nimoy favored Obama, I’m still voting for Romney.

There was once a time when journalists were interested in the truth. Now, they’re only interested in their shallow images.

Maybe the next time we’re attached, we can ask Joy Behar for some insight. Hey, she’s a star so she’ll know everything! (/sarc)

Kingfisher on October 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

E Tu Luke Skywalker?

I guess it can’t be much of a surprise.

jeffn21 on October 12, 2012 at 2:38 PM

OBigEars needs to take a page out of Yoda’s book now that he has the endorsement:

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.”

(Unfortunately, it’s been four years of “do not.” Or when he did, it was the wrong “doo”. I wish he had given me a reason to vote For him this go-round. Loser. BTW, I didn’t last time. Never drank the kool-aid.)

NoPain on October 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM

He was good in Batman: The Animated Series.

WeekendAtBernankes on October 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Hamill fried his brain years ago. Hanging out with the wrong crowd in Hollywood will do that you know.

georgeofthedesert on October 13, 2012 at 1:15 PM