Surprise poll: Private doctors overwhelmingly back Mitt Romney

posted at 4:01 pm on October 10, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

From Paul Bedard at the Washington Examiner, here’s yet another iteration of why the implementation of ObamaCare is destined to be such an unmitigated disaster for everyone involved. Besides effectively turning doctors into cogs in the wheel of a sluggish and behemoth federal bureaucracy, which suddenly makes the many long, expensive years that go into becoming a doctor seem like a much less attractive investment, the sudden onslaught of millions of new patients in the health care pool without similar growth in the pool of providers is going to put a lot of strain on doctors, nurses, administrators, etcetera. The added pressure, along with regulations and compliance costs, are going to slow everybody down, and according to at least one poll, private doctors aren’t convinced that they’ll be able to keep it up.

In a new poll of 4,681 physicians provided to Secrets, the doctors favored Romney 53 percent to 33 percent for Obama, with 12 percent undecided and the rest backing a third candidate.

But sole practitioners polled from the MDLinx doctor base were quizzed about the candidates, 58 percent chose Romney to 28 percent for Obama, an indication that private doctors are worried about the impact Obamacare will have on their practices. …

In the survey, many doctors backed changes in health care. But those with small practices worried that Obamacare will put them out of business.

I just like to keep throwing in regular reminders of the wildly far-reaching and probably calamitous effects of ObamaCare throughout the health care, business, financial, and government industries, because too many people I know (I’m thinking specifically of my many young-professional, Obama-loving, non-politically sentient peers here) are just so blithely and blissfully unaware that this bomb is getting ready to drop. If President Obama is reelected, it will be too late to do anything productive about the problem in the realm of the near future, and we’ll be stuck with this stupid legislation for a long time yet.

I know it’s old, but always worth revisiting and reconsidering this sage food-for-thought from Dr./Sen. Rand Paul:

Comments

Sure…but nobody knows they are doctors.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM

When it rains, it EVENTUALLY POURS.

ToddPA on October 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Rand! Love the guy.

Wish Romney would get philosophical like that.

Spannerhead on October 10, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Sure…but nobody knows they are doctors.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Perhaps you have confused boutique doctor services with “private doctors”.

Reading comprehension fail.

F-

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on October 10, 2012 at 4:08 PM

The health care system was nationalized by Obama and the Democrats. But the malpractice system remains privatized, with the insurance burden carried by doctors.

Think throwing more people into the pool of patients — who can go there on Uncle Sugar’s dole and some of whom already are trained by daytime attorney ads on TV to think of the civil court system as the legal lottery — isn’t going to also boost the risk of lawsuits to those same doctors? Why would you want to go into something where the payout is lowered while the risk of having a legal judgement decided against you is increased?

jon1979 on October 10, 2012 at 4:13 PM

This is precisely why it’s a crowning achievement of the Commies.

Remember, unless you’re talking about members of the State apparatus – politicians – everybody is to be reduced to an obedient cog in the wheel of the State.

Everybody, again, except the more equal Pigs.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Another huge point to use in a series of aggressive ads by Romney & PACS attacking Obamacare. Arguably the Obamacare issue is bigger than the economy or unemployment or anything else. And the independent voter is on our side!
From the Gibbs thread I said: While Obama fiddles with his frivolous Big Bird ads, we need to get serious with a serious assault with our ads on Obamacare. This is the one issue that people are really really intensely upset about. But they forget. Remind the people, and we win.

anotherJoe on October 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Oh, Erika….. you know as well as I do that these are those nefarious docs who like to yank out tonsils, chop off feet and do crazy things like perform abortions on 60 yr old women who actually have asthma and need breathalizers.

Barry said so!!

Do I need this? /////////////////////////////

Cody1991 on October 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Atomic!

Del Dolemonte on October 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Well of course. Now do bankers, bakers, and candlestick makers. You know, anybody responsible for a payroll. Unlike this stooge in office has ever been!

Marcus on October 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Perhaps you have confused boutique doctor services with “private doctors”.

Reading comprehension fail.

F-

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on October 10, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Please don’t feed it.

BTW I have added a second (numerical) grading curve system, after seeing a vintage clip of the old “Dobie Gillis” show where the inimitable beatnik Maynard G. Krebs (Bob Denver) flunks his history exam.

He got a -2

Del Dolemonte on October 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Well said Rand!

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I have been in the Medical Device industry for over 10 years. I don’t think people really, REALLY understand the impact of Obamacare. We are going to lose thousands of doctors. We can’t afford that. Tens of thousands more will never take on a medical degree, residency, or fellowship. This law is going to set us back to the old Soviet assembly-line healthcare. Oh, and decent implants for anything? Forget it. Those companies will be out of business within 5 years. Transplants will become black market affairs. Trust me, this won’t end well.

HomeoftheBrave on October 10, 2012 at 4:20 PM

…effectively turning doctors into cogs in the wheel of a sluggish and behemoth federal bureaucracy, which suddenly makes the many long, expensive years that go into becoming a doctor seem like a much less attractive investment…

This x1000! (and for you math geeks, yes, I meant 1000 factorial)

As I have said before on these pages, my late father was a doctor, specifically a psychiatrist. He loved his work, so much so that he never wanted to retire, and in fact didn’t retire until he physically had to, a few months before he died.

That said, back in the ’80s he told me that if he were starting his career over again, he would have become a psychologist, or a marriage and family therapist, or a psychiatric social worker, instead of an M.D, because he deplored the government interference between doctor and patient that was going on even then.

Now I want you all to understand something: My dad saw hard-case patients that other psychiatrists had given up on. If they couldn’t pay, my dad saw them free of charge and carried the debts on his books. That is, until his accountant told him he couldn’t, because the IRS required him to pay income tax on the debts on his books as if he had actually received payments from those patients.

Obamacare is only the latest in a process of government encroachment going back decades. I miss my beloved father every day of my life — but I’m so glad he isn’t here to see this crap go down.

Mary in LA on October 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Marcus on October 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM

He had to pay somebody, or lots of somebodies, for all of that choom.

;O)

OhEssYouCowboys on October 10, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Why would any doctor want ObamaCare and a massive new bureaucracy to run it?

darwin on October 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Filthy greedy reichwing doctors. The state will move forward without them. Your free healthcare will be providedfrom economic patriots.

tom daschle concerned on October 10, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Your free healthcare will be provided from economic patriots.

tom daschle concerned on October 10, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Oh, goody, I can hardly wait to have my back operated on by an economic patriot instead of a doctor. I’ll probably have to show him which end of the scalpel to hold, and how to thread catgut through a surgeon’s needle. [eyeroll]

/good trolling there, t.d.c.! :-)

Mary in LA on October 10, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Paraphrasing Reagan, establishing state control over the day-to-day delivery of medical care guarantees no one will be able to get a doctor’s appointment.

MTF on October 10, 2012 at 4:29 PM

ObamaCare will be the largest financial and systems fiasco in the history of the world. It is simply too big and too complicated to implement. It will make the worst private insurance company look like a paragon of customer service and efficiency.

And the cost? Incalculable.

Curtiss on October 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM

And the cost? Incalculable.

Curtiss on October 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM

The cost will be innumerable lives lost.

tom daschle concerned on October 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Surprise poll: Private doctors overwhelmingly back Mitt Romney

Probably because Romney supports their right to rip out your tonsils and chop off your feet and legs for profit.

/Barack Hussein 0bama

UltimateBob on October 10, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Sure…but nobody knows they are doctors.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I guess they should have all sat there in white lab coats with stethoscopes around their necks like the “doctors” in an 0bama photo op.

Then we’d know fer sure they’re real doctors.

UltimateBob on October 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM

tom daschle concerned on October 10, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I remember a story, during one of the Olympics. It seems that an American athlete had been hurt, in an athletic event in Moscow. Back in the grand old

days of the Soviet Union [I think it was in the '80s]. One of his Russian friends, upon hearing that he was headed to a Soviet hospital, gave him one of his fresh, previously unused syringes – just in case he needed any intravenous injections at the hospital.

Oh man, good times in Utopia.

And, it’s all coming here!

Oh yeah, and I recall how the Soviet doctors used to drive taxis, when off-duty. They needed the extra income, ya know. In fact, they made more money doing that, than by being physicians.

Oh man, good times. State controlled healthcare.

I can’t wait.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM

The cost will be innumerable lives lost.

tom daschle concerned on October 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM

There won’t be lives. There will only be outcomes.

Curtiss on October 10, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Then we’d know fer sure they’re real doctors.

UltimateBob on October 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM

That photo op DEFINES this corrupt pit of viper administration.

tom daschle concerned on October 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM

The game that will be played with important healthcare appointment is not going to be outright denial-that’s too obvious, but you’ll get your appointment like Lucy let’s Charlie Brown kick the football. The timeline is always defined to solve your problem shortly after your death.
I suspect that we soon will be like Holland where one of eleven in involuntarily euthanized by a government doctor. Let nature do their dirty work. Sadly, not too many will protest.

Don L on October 10, 2012 at 4:37 PM

But…but…the dude with the ponytail and white lab coat next to Obama!

Ben Hur on October 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Do not worry we will have 2000)0 more AIRS agents to make up the gap in doctors.

It will be glorious future comrade s.

jukin3 on October 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Rand! Love the guy.

Wish Romney would get philosophical like that.

Spannerhead on October 10, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I believe he’s capable of it. In the debate last week, I was delighted when he made the moral case against overwhelming public debt.

For him to do that in a 90 minute debate (of which 0bama stole more than half the time with his babbling) was pretty impressive. It turned me from a Romney skeptic to a Romney supporter.

UltimateBob on October 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Yeh but four out of 5 dentists surveyed still recommend Trident for their patients who chew gum.

Shy Guy on October 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM

My Doctor already sold his practice because he saw the writing on the wall. To make matters worse the Health Care Group he sold it to informed me lazt month that they do not accept my insurance (TRICARE PRIME-retired military) leaving me and my family scrambling to find a new PCM that does accept my insurance.

I miss my old doc, he was a good family doc but he told me straight up it was because of Obamacare. It’s personal with me.

D-fusit on October 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM

UltimateBob on October 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I believe he is too. The “role of government” segment was a golden opportunity to go philosophical, and he almost did…but his answer kinda petered out after the strong beginning.

Spannerhead on October 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Sure…but nobody knows they are doctors.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Maybe if we threw some white lab coats on them for the Demwits in the room.

peski on October 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM

why on earth is this characterized as a ‘surprise’ poll result? There has already been repeated polling showing a large portion of doctors are considering quitting / retirement if full-blown Obamacare is implemented.

rayra on October 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Sure…but nobody knows they are doctors.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM

But if doctors tell their patients, “Vote for Romney or you can’t see me anymore”, the patients might listen.

Steve Z on October 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM

It will be glorious future comrade s.

jukin3 on October 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM

First post on a S3 and I failed as bad as our fist black president in a debate. Does this qualify me for a high level admin job in the 0bama regime?

jukin3 on October 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Purgatory is a waiting room. Let me know when someone fixes that.

No surprises here.

tuffy on October 10, 2012 at 5:03 PM

..but..but..but..I thought Most of the doctors supported The Pantload™? I mean, remember when he had so many of them standing behind him during that ObamaCare Rose Garden speech a couple years ago?

The War Planner on October 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Steve Z on October 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM

..kinda like that CEO today who sent a letter out to all of his employees that said, “If Obama wins, there WILL be layoffs” or the employees at Olive Garden and Red Lobster getting their work cut back to less than 30 hours per week because that’s the cutoff for required healthcare benefits under Obamacare?

ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES, PROLES. YOU LIKE THIS STEAMING PILE, VOTE FOR HIM.

The War Planner on October 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

As a doctor, this is the most obvious poll ever.

neoavatara on October 10, 2012 at 5:19 PM

My Dad was a physician for 40 years. He always used to say that doctors should refuse to treat trial lawyers and politicians, because they obviously know so much about medicine that they should be able to treat themselves.

rockmom on October 10, 2012 at 5:21 PM

The War Planner on October 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Good for them, the CEOs in question that. People have to understand that voting has consequences. Methinks that steve wynn, channeling trump (or himself :) had some harsh words about the preezy too :).

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Sure…but nobody knows they are doctors.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM

My parents, in their eighties, who have had two internists drop them in five years because of the inadequacies of Medicare, know these doctors. You’re an ass and you should be banned.

M240H on October 10, 2012 at 5:27 PM

rockmom on October 10, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Lol :) my sister (who’s a cardiovascular surgeon :) thinks likewise :)…

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Security in Benghazi

dirtengineer on October 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM

…how come I like Rand Paul?…and the old man… not so much?

KOOLAID2 on October 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Why would any doctor want ObamaCare and a massive new bureaucracy to run it?

darwin on October 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM

There are plenty of idiotic, left wing docs out there.

I will keep my rant short, but academic docs are far left zealots typically. Think the docs at the Wisconsin teacher protest, illegally handing out fake sick notes to teachers.

Guess who controls admission to med schools, internships, residencies, etc? Left wing, academic types.

And they recruit idealistic, left wing types who resemble them.

The younger generation of docs in their 20s I work with are overwhelmingly liberal actually. Scary.

These are also docs who are salaried employees of large medical schools/hospital systems, and have no conception of running a business or the financial aspects of a medical practice.

There is a large moonbat population in the medical profession sad to say, and nurses are even more leftist. The California nurse union is one of the most belligerant unions out there.

The doctor shortage is going to be cataclysmic in a few years. Many docs in my practice are older (60+) and don’t need to work, they still enjoy patient care or are too type A to slow down. All this generation will happily quit when the bureaucracy gets much worse.

Several docs in their “prime” such as myself are more jaded and will happily start second careers rather than become de facto assembly line workers for the feds.

You get what you pay for.

thurman on October 10, 2012 at 5:30 PM

My Doctor indicated the need to remove 0 a long time ago. They nor do patients want any part of this crap 0 forced upon us. Romney had best listen to his Doctors.

Bmore on October 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Many docs have given up solo practice already–to expensive to keep up with mandates and employee costs–and have been hired by big medical operations. They become employees; they are beaten down gradually, pressured for more visits every day, preparing them for the day when the gubmint will do it.

PattyJ on October 10, 2012 at 5:35 PM

…how come I like Rand Paul?…and the old man… not so much?

KOOLAID2 on October 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Sane vs not so sane )…mentally that is….

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

M240H on October 10, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I have a simple solution to the reimbursement problem: Set the Medicare reimbursement rates to be equal to that for federal government employee plans including Congress.

slickwillie2001 on October 10, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Lest I be mistaken you are little more than a stinking troll at this site. What the heII does this mean?

Sure…but nobody knows they are doctors.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Bmore on October 10, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Tell me about, they are notorious for their irrationality beyond the limits of the state…

You get what you pay for.

thurman on October 10, 2012 at 5:30 PM

This is exactly, almost word by word, what my family doc told me last time I ran into him…he is in his 60s I think but a great doc, and a very sociable and gregarious guy, pretty much the type you described above as loving his profession and still enjoying his patient care but ready to retire if they hit him with some more regulations and bureaucratic nonsense….

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 6:00 PM

If Obamacare had actually been a nationalized malpractice insurance scheme it would have cost a fraction of what this Obalbatross costs and it would have been many multiples more effective in lowering patient costs and making health insurance more affordable for all.

Knott Buyinit on October 10, 2012 at 6:01 PM

We need to have the RIGHT to discuss things with our congressional representative whenever we want !!

– at our convenience !!

KenInIL on October 10, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Obama and Romney have op-eds on health care in the Oct. 11 New England Journal of Medicine.

Obama talks about “medical malpractice reform” ” without arbitrary caps”. I can’t imagine what that would involve. He mentions “economists” believe family insurance premiums will be about $2000 less by 2019. (Of course there up more than that from when he took office. He doesn’t say what the baseline is. I’ve never seen that data.)

Romney suggests saving derived from insurance companies bidding for Medicare with indexed government premiums and state based Medicaid reform. He cites a case of a woman that with pre-existing conditions that obtained coverage. Obama’s campaign took credit for it, but she was actually tuned down by the Obamacare high risk pool and got coverage through a pre-existing state pool.

Romney’s comments seem more credible to me, but I’m voting for Romney and I may be biased.

talkingpoints on October 10, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Marcus on October 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I Resemble that remark ! but seriously yes this is a problem i unfortunately have a Chiro Dr. who is so enthusiastically pro obamacare it it sickening. but i try to forgive him because without him i cant walk !

~~Kate

katee bayer on October 11, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Hi, Katee! Haven’t seen you before — welcome to Hot Air. :-)

If I may make a suggestion: Put your Website in your profile. Your name will display as a hyperlink to your Website. (I just put a bogus link in my name as an example.) Otherwise, both the site software and the other commenters might think you’re posting spam.

Again, welcome on board! :-)

Mary in LA on October 11, 2012 at 1:16 PM