Romney won’t tell story of meeting former SEAL killed in Benghazi after SEAL’s mom objects Update: Widow of another SEAL says Romney mention ‘greatest honor’

posted at 2:41 pm on October 10, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

The Romney campaign has vowed not to tell the story of Romney’s chance meeting with the late Glen Doherty anymore, as Doherty’s mother objected to it publicly. Romney related a tale of meeting the “impressive” young man at a Christmas party, on the trail Tuesday. Doherty was killed in the attacks on the Benghazi consulate in Libya last month.

Mitt Romney’s campaign said today he will stop citing his meeting with a former Navy Seal killed in last month’s terror attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya after the victim’s mother protested his use of her son’s death.

“He shouldn’t make my son’s death part of his political agenda. It’s wrong to use these brave young men, who wanted freedom for all, to degrade Obama,” said Barbara Doherty, the mother of the slain Navy Seal Glen Doherty.

She added, “I don’t trust Romney.”

You can watch the clip, in which Romney doesn’t use Doherty’s name, and decide if that’s what he was doing, but the campaign is of course right to respect her wishes. I know it’s impossible for me to post a moment from a presidential candidate without political implications, but truly, what’s striking about this story is the remarkable coincidence that led Mitt Romney to have had a personal encounter with Doherty, who ended up at the tragic center of this story this month. From a pure human interest angle, it’s fascinating, and clearly told with respect and in good faith by Romney:

For what it’s worth, I hope Romney’s short-lived mention of the circumstances of Doherty’s death, in which he was going above and beyond to serve and save others, leads to a wider understanding of his heroism.

In comments that have gotten far less coverage, the mother of former SEAL Tyrone Woods, also killed that day in Benghazi, took to her Facebook page to object to the administration’s handling of the investigation of the attack:

Don’t want to ever politicize the loss of my son in Libya, but it has been 16 days and the FBI has yet to get to Benghazi to begin their investigation. Apparently they have made it to Tripoli but haven’t been allowed to enter Benghazi. Meanwhile, the diplomatic outpost where Tyrone and Glen died, was not and is not secured. Absolutely unacceptable.

Update: The other side of this coin is Jane Horton, the widow of Navy SEAL Chris Horton, killed in action in Afghanistan:

Jane Horton began crying on the other end of the phone when she learned that Mitt Romney had been using the story of her husband, Chris Horton, who was killed in Afghanistan, as a part of his stump speech.

“Wow,” the 26-year-old said. “I had no idea.

“To be honest, I’ve been through a lot and I’m not a super emotional person but it brings me to tears,” Horton said in an interview with ABC News, after being informed of her husband’s newfound spot on the national stage. “Not that he’s telling my story, but that he’s telling my husband’s story, it means the world to me.

And, the quote Romney should put on his bathroom mirror for inspiration:

“One of the last things my husband said to me before he was killed, when I would ask him, ‘Chris, what do you need over there? What can I send you?’ he said, ‘I need a new president,’” Horton recalled.

Her husband had done some work in the Oklahoma Romney office in 2008, and Romney tracked Jane down in 2011 after he heard of his death, sending her a hand-written note. The two wrote back and forth several times:

They first spoke when Romney wrote her a handwritten letter after Chris was killed. It was Oct. 1, 2011, Horton said, re-reading the letter as she spoke, remembering that she was shocked Romney had put two and two together — that one of his many staffers had been killed and he’d figured out a way to find his wife.

A few months later, Horton still touched by Romney’s outreach and thinking about her husband’s support of the candidate, decided to send the candidate his name tape — the part of a soldier’s uniform that displays his last name.

Jane, who I had the privilege of meeting at the Republican National Convention when she was serving as an Oklahoma delegate, calls it the “greatest honor” that Romney is getting out the story of her husband, which is exactly what he would have wanted.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

I think Romney was sincere enough in sharing this.
But Repubs have always played loose with this stuff for political gain…
But maybe he sees the cheapness and exploitation in that routine.
I know I do.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

“He brought us all our stuff, and he was patient with us as we were dawdling over the menu,” said the president, who didn’t identify the Georgetown restaurant by name. “But at the end of the dinner — it was very professional, very unobtrusive — but at the end of the dinner he just said, ‘I wanted to just say how much I appreciate you because you saved my mother’s life.’ ” The waiter explained his mother had a stroke but did not yet qualify for Medicare; the Affordable Care Act allowed the family to get coverage for his mother’s medicines and treatment. “It reminded me of why we do this,” Obama told donors.

- WaPo, two days ago

Hilarious.

rogerb on October 10, 2012 at 6:47 PM

She added, “I don’t trust Romney.”

Ma’am, God bless you and the memory of your son, but “you” just got political.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I think Romney was sincere enough in sharing this.
But Repubs have always played loose with this stuff for political gain…
But maybe he sees the cheapness and exploitation in that routine.
I know I do.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I may vomit from the irony.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 6:52 PM

What do I care? It ain’t me doin’ the moderating. Or banning.

If you think it might be a bannable offense, you might straighten up…or be gone.

cozmo on October 10, 2012 at 6:40 PM

lol spoken just like the control freak you are!

Anti-Control on October 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM

She added, “I don’t trust Romney.”
Ma’am, God bless you and the memory of your son, but “you” just got political.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM

—–

I think its clear Romney was being political with his sharing of the story…
Evidence below…

“He was a former Navy SEAL. He was living in San Diego. And [I] learned about him. He talked about his life. He skied a lot. He had skied in a lot of the places I had and we had a lot of things in common. He told me that he keeps going back to the Middle East. He cares very deeply about the people there. He served in the military there, went back from time to time to offer security services to people there,” Romney said.

Romney then appeared to get choked up as he revealed who the man was.

“You could imagine how I felt when I found out that he was one of the two former Navy SEALS killed in Benghazi on September the 11. And it touched me, obviously as I realized that this young man that I thought was so impressive had lost his life in the service of his fellow men and women,” Romney said.

“According to the reports on CNN International that I read, he was actually in a different building, an annex, a safe place somewhere else across town when he and his colleagues there heard that the consulate was under attack. And they went there. They didn’t hunker down where they were in safety. They rushed there to go help.”

Romney concluded: “This is the American way. We go where there’s trouble. We go where we’re needed. And right now we’re needed. Right now, the American people need us.”

Politricks on October 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM

lol spoken just like the control freak you are!

Anti-Control on October 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM

You got that right. Didn’t you know I control everything here? The nutballs all say so.

cozmo on October 10, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Politricks on October 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Nice “prepared” statement. Does this stuff get sent to you? And it doesn’t address what I said. Mom just got political.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Donks in the gutter. You guys were fine with obama taking his pictures with the dead troops on Dover’s Green Ramp.

A little blood on your faces when you see a photo op, no?

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 7:03 PM

She added, “I don’t trust Romney.”

I didn’t have children. If I did, I would proud if any of those decided to serve our Republic. My heart would beyond ache for the loss, but My faith says MY child would be in the arms of God.

This lady, a mother lost a child and she has her right to her view for What her child died for.

Any time I have any family member at our, that is serving, I thank them from the bottom of my heart for giving ME the right to say I want a new cic and with my vote I will do all I can do to see that happens for them.

I am sorry this lady still feels the way she does, but as I said, her child gave her the right to say what she did.
L

letget on October 10, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Screw it.

Doherty is an absurd clown.

She claims he uses the story to denigrate Obama, yet doesn’t mention him.

Then, she denigrates Romney’s trustworthiness.

On the day the R’s are exposing Team Obama’s handling of her sons death as intentional by not addressing the growing concerns.

I’m not giving her the grief benefit. She’s a Mass Dem Lemming.

I hope she goes national. Her pleas will make her sound delusional.

budfox on October 10, 2012 at 7:06 PM

letget on October 10, 2012 at 7:05 PM
budfox on October 10, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Nick Berg’s father.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Politricks on October 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM

You’re an idiot.

I heard the statement live.

It was attached to nothing but a sentiment about American sacrifice.

Please, let her become Sheehan.

It has zero upside for Obama.

The more visual she becomes, the more people learn how her son died

…then we have the foreign policy debate…

…and then it’s goodbye Barry….

budfox on October 10, 2012 at 7:10 PM

HuffPo is running the headline “Mom of slain Ex-Navy Seal slams Romney …”.

sram on October 10, 2012 at 7:16 PM

All this stuff about banning, deleting, “play nice”, is really curious. Don’t post the story if you don’t want to hear the natural, resulting comments! This was a (forced or unforced) political bash by this mother. We all heard what Romney said and how he said it. I’m fairly confident that this mother could have contacted the Romney campaign and asked them to shut down the conversation. End of story. Yet, she chose to make it political, and MKH chose to write about it. Thus, I would think it’s fair game to comment. No one is “happy” her son was killed, everyone who heard Romney speak, felt for the loss of this man, and yet the mother made it political. This, nanny-state of directing comments is kind of insulting. How about we ban some of the trolls who are ALWAYS ugly?

BettyRuth on October 10, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Nick Berg’s father.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Good call.

I forgot about him.

That whole thing never added up.

He has Iraqi relatives, had met the 20th hijacker, and mysteriously ends up in Zarqawi’s custody, where he’s unnecessarily killed.

You have to wonder if he was a double-agent, which is why Zarqawi killed him and the govt didn’t do the barter for his release. As if neither side trusted him.

budfox on October 10, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Screw it.

Doherty is an absurd clown.

She claims he uses the story to denigrate Obama, yet doesn’t mention him.

Then, she denigrates Romney’s trustworthiness.

I’m not giving her the grief benefit. She’s a Mass Dem Lemming.

I hope she goes national. Her pleas will make her sound delusional.

budfox on October 10, 2012 at 7:06 PM

_____

Tough talk over the internet. Gotta love it.

Politricks on October 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Ugh.

If the new thing on the Left (with their willing sycophantic accomplices in the news media) reeeally is going to be to bludgeon Romney as “insensitive” over this…. This, a sincere statement by an American and a man of admiration over someone who got killed because the idiots in power are complete idiots…..If this REALLY is the road we’re going down….

Screw it. Time for a national divorce. I don’t want to share this country with the libs anymore. There’s no low to which they will not stoop in order to gain power.

Enough’s enough. Break the country up. Not helpful to anyone to keep this facade of a united country. Let it end.

Hawkins1701 on October 10, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I’m not giving this woman an inch.

Once she makes this about trust, of all issues, she can blow it out her ass.

This is just like the 9/11 widows, except worse because they were at least victims.

Doherty was left to reenact Somalia.

budfox on October 10, 2012 at 7:25 PM

She added, “I don’t trust Romney.”

Well, so much for being non-political. It is hard to believe she doesn’t trust him but she will vote for him or doesn’t support Obama.

I have a hard time with liberal parents speaking for their dead sons after the despicable Franken ad where they said Norm Coleman’s funding of the Iraq war killed their son. I find it VERY hard to believe these men joined the military and in the case of the Navy SEAL achieve a high level of battle readiness but were really anti-war and anti-Republican if they could speak for themselves. When this woman made her anti-Romney comment she is the one who politicized his death. There is no reason to believe her son would be insulted by the mere mention by Romney that he met him and had a fond memory of him. I don’t blame the Romney campaign for saying they won’t mention him again because this woman is obviously trouble and in some kind of state of mind to think this campaign hinges on some story about meeting her son for the rest of us.

Conan on October 10, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Tough talk over the internet. Gotta love it.

Politricks on October 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Dumb a$$ed talk from a zipper head hack…Gotta expect it.

BigWyo on October 10, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Lets be honest. Any statement any politican makes in front of cameras,reporters,etc in the middle of an election is a “political statement”

Politricks on October 10, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Tough talk over the internet. Gotta love it.

Politricks on October 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Please.

That’s your only line because some of us don’t give an F about prog guilt/shame tactics.

Give me the opportunity to question this woman.

You answer them, trolldouche.

Tell me what Romney said when he mentioned her son?

In what context is this an attack on Obama?

See – I heard it. Live. Her description is full of shite. It’s spoonfed agitprop.

All she had to was call the Romney HQ – in freaking Boston and state she would like the story to be dropped. End.

budfox on October 10, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Exactly, and if you bad-mouth her or question her motives, you’ll get deleted or banned. Have as much respect as the Romney camp has had for her. It’s a far better way to honor her son’s memory than lashing out at her because she happens to like Obama or not like Romney.

Mary Katharine Ham on October 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Wow, this is a disappointing reaction from Mary Katharin Ham. Is Mary Katharine Ham going to provide us with a list of other people we are not allowed to criticize? How many other people will we get banned for criticizing? This would be a good thing to know in advance.

I remember that MKH also reacted similarly and in an angry fashion after some commenters criticized her blog entry where she posted a highly-edited, promotional video with clips of a young girl singing from the Fox show “The X Factor.”

Up until now, I usually thought the HotAir moderation was fair and effective. Ed Morrissey and Allahpundit obviously read comments and to their great credit are usually pretty tolerant (but never irresponsibly so) when it comes to moderating, and they don’t try to scare people with opposing views into silence.

Y’all bashing MKH realize that its her sandbox we’re are playing, right?

cozmo on October 10, 2012 at 5:31 PM

That’s one way to look at it. Another way would be that readers and commenters here are as much as a part of the site as the main bloggers. After all, some of you guys have been contributing to this site in the comment section far longer than Mary Katharine Ham has been offering her very infrequent (especially when compared with Ed, Erika and AP) HotAir blog posts, which sometimes cover stories that have already been covered by other HotAir bloggers.

bluegill on October 10, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Tough talk over the internet. Gotta love it.

Politricks on October 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Huh?

What do you even mean? you’re an idiot.

CW on October 10, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Politricks on October 10, 2012 at 7:30 PM

That’s not the point, savant.

It’s a political campaign, so it’s a given.

It’s the context. In what context was it political.

She said he was using it to disparage 0, and that’s totally inaccurate.

The problem, is even if she was told the truth, she’s not going to walk anything back.

It’s that wonderful prog tact of lying by omission. Michael Moore’s gift to our “civil discourse”.

budfox on October 10, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Politricks on October 10, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Dover Green ramp. Obama. Dead soldiers in a setting never before photographed.

Libs, liberally apply blood on your face when needed.

“GM’s alive and Osama’s dead”.

Libs, liberally apply blood on your face when needed.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 7:40 PM

After today’s testimony, it’s clear that this administration set in motion the chain of events that led to her son’s death. I would hope she watched today’s travesty of a hearing and changes her mind.

In the meantime – kudos to Romney for respecting a mother’s wishes. His opponent has a bit of a problem with using people for his own aggrandizement.

2nd Ammendment Mother on October 10, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Tough talk over the internet. Gotta love it.

Politricks on October 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Really? Saying ON THE INTERNET that someone else is talking tough…on the internet…

Can we pls get a better class of troll, this one needs to go back to middle school.

Thanks!

airmonkey on October 10, 2012 at 7:45 PM

That right there displays that she is just being nakedly partisan with this. In her mind, anything that Romney uses to make his case for his election is “degrading Obama”. A neutral parent would have taken a look at the context and have been proud to have their son praised by someone who had met him.

Count to 10 on October 10, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Barbara Doherty, whose son died in the terrorist attack on the U.S. Embassy in Libya, described the assault as a “little bump in the road” towards freedom in that country.

“Those people, not only there, but other places, are under horrid dictatorships,” Doherty told the Boston Herald when asked about President Obama’s comments on the issue. “They’re very angry. They’re poor. It is a little bump in the road. They are making progress. You can’t expect it to happen in one night. Progress is slow.” Her son, Glen, was one of the former Navy Seals who died while trying to protect U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens, who was also killed.

Liberals are weird. They’ll get us all killed and rock themselves to sleep with the notion it’s for the greater good of mankind. Evil exists all over the world. How can they not see it when it’s up in their face? Cultural conditioning?

I can’t believe she called her son’s death a ‘bump in the road’. Just crazy.

RepubChica on October 10, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I can’t believe she called her son’s death a ‘bump in the road’. Just crazy.

RepubChica on October 10, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Heartbreaking.

CW on October 10, 2012 at 7:48 PM

RepubChica on October 10, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Did she have any idea what her son was doing in Lybia?

He wasn’t apart of Peace Corps, and he wasn’t on security duty.

He told CNN Int he was a weapons hunter.

It had nothing to do with being poor and angry.

Delusional prog.

budfox on October 10, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Count to 10 on October 10, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Brilliantly put.

bluegill on October 10, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Stupid scrunt can’t even see it was ovomit that had her son killed. It’s not possible to degrade ovomit. No matter how low and sleazy you go, it’s not far enough.

And NOBODY plays any looser than ovomit. How flucking many times has he used dead soldiers for a photo op?

sablegsd on October 10, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Did she have any idea what her son was doing in Lybia?

budfox on October 10, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Not sure, but the jury seems to be in and the verdict is: Glen Doherty was working toward the righteous progress of the poor, helpless, downtrodden men in the Middle East until he ran into a bump on the road in the form of a rocket-propelled grenade.

RepubChica on October 10, 2012 at 8:01 PM

All I’ve seen is text of the comments from the Mom. I’m sure I’m delusional, but is there any chance those comments were taken out of context? Could the interview have gone like
“Do you trust the President?” –
“I don’t trust him.”
“What about his opponent?” –
“I don’t trust Romney.”

EDIT!!!!! CUT!!!!!!! THAT’S A WRAP.

revrick315 on October 10, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I can’t believe she called her son’s death a ‘bump in the road’. Just crazy.

RepubChica on October 10, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Heartbreaking.

CW on October 10, 2012 at 7:48 PM

…beside the loss…that poor lady is not wrapped too tight!

KOOLAID2 on October 10, 2012 at 8:03 PM

budfox on October 10, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Right on!

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I can’t believe she called her son’s death a ‘bump in the road’. Just crazy.

RepubChica on October 10, 2012 at 7:46 PM

She didn’t.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I’m sure it’s not at all political with her !!
burrata on October 10, 2012 at 2:45 PM
It doesn’t matter. She lost a son. If she goes all Sheehan, then this can be revisited.
cozmo on October 10, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on October 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM

“I know it’s impossible for me to post a moment from a presidential candidate without political implications…”

Correct.

kg598301 on October 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Y’all bashing MKH realize that its her sandbox we’re are playing, right?

cozmo on October 10, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Not bashing, just pushing back against pre-thought-crime admonishments. Its just not needed, and a bit silly.

And it is very much AP’s sandbox.

She added, “I don’t trust Romney.”
Ma’am, God bless you and the memory of your son, but “you” just got political.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Well said. Truly.

Irritable Pundit on October 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM

She didn’t.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 8:07 PM

She did. She concurred with the president’s worldview re the incident that took her son’s life–see my post up thread. Exact quote of hers. Don’t negate the obvious. Insulting.

RepubChica on October 10, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Everyone watch Anderson Cooper Tonight…

…He has the mom of the State Dept worker – the gamer guy – who was killed in Banghazi…

…and early word is she takes the hammer to Barry and company…

budfox on October 10, 2012 at 8:21 PM

RepubChica on October 10, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Neither Obama nor this woman referred to the deaths as bumps in the road.

“But I was pretty certain and continue to be pretty certain that there are going to be bumps in the road because, you know, in a lot of these places the one organizing principle has been Islam.”

I think it’s pretty obvious to anyone with even half a brain that Obama was not calling the victims of the attack bumps in the road.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Dante

We’ve known for some time you were brainless. You keep proving it over and over too.

Hard Right on October 10, 2012 at 8:33 PM

. . . . . if you bad-mouth her or question her motives, you’ll get deleted or banned. Have as much respect as the Romney camp has had for her. It’s a far better way to honor her son’s memory than lashing out at her because she happens to like Obama or not like Romney.

Mary Katharine Ham on October 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Can we bad-mouth Democrat voters, in general?

listens2glenn on October 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Dante
Hard Right on October 10, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Hard Right has at the most 49% of brain.
All you need to make totally ironic comments.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Neither Obama nor this woman referred to the deaths as bumps in the road.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Stop pretending.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Well said. Truly.

Irritable Pundit on October 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM

From you, IP. Honored.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 8:23 PM

That’s really cute, D, but your ‘I’m smarter than the world’ shtick on this Conservative blog doesn’t pass the smell taste–it’s boring and tired, no doubt in compensation for your many shortcomings.

Now, you can go ahead and play semantics, but their read on the tragedy is clear and uncannily similar and hopelessly naive–the ME massacre (or the 2012 9-11 terrorist attack on US soil that killed 4 Americans) is a bump on the road to the realization of the might and profound glory that is the globally-conscious, all-knowing wisdom of the Obama foreign policy doctrine of kumbayah.

RepubChica on October 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM

RepubChica on October 10, 2012 at 8:16 PM

You’re insulting reading comprehension.
Even for the fevered right, it’s just a silly line.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 8:55 PM

You’re insulting reading comprehension.
Even for the fevered right, it’s just a silly line.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Sure, kid. Just explain then what he/she meant then in more than three complex sentences.

RepubChica on October 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Stop pretending.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Clowns to the left of me…jokers to the right…

RepubChica on October 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Echoes of the Cindy Sheehan / Casey Sheehan media situation.

A son loses his life serving his country and the Old Media attempt to exploit her grief and direct it against the Old Media’s political opponent who has shown genuine respect for Doherty’s son, who he is and what he did.

Lincoln honored the Gettysburg dead in a brief yet concentrated epitaph. It is essential to Liberty to remember its cost. Certainly the Puffington Host would hammer Abe in an election year… if they could.

viking01 on October 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Jesus people. Yes, the mother has her own political beliefs. Yes that played into her decision to tell Mitt to stop.

But you’ve got to be willfully choosing to look the other way and believe what you WANT things to be to make it out like Mitt using his memory to make the case for his election instead of Obama’s reelection isn’t political.

No he didn’t mention Obama, but his point was clear and I would bet money that if his mother hadn’t told them sto stop that in the foreign policy debate when Benghazi comes up that Mitt could have and very very possibly would have chosen to use the whole, “You claimed for weeks, etc… You didn’t provide security, etc… And I KNEW this man, a great man, who’s memory and actions we all cherish, is now gone because of it.”

It would have been killer. It provided Mitt with a massively profitable opportunity to make a ridiculously good and strong, visual, relatable argument that would help his re-election.

And it would have gotten mileage.

If the Political tables were turned you would see it in a moment. The lady likes Barack Obama. Perhaps even her son did, every think of that? And she didn’t want him to be used against BO.

And if it was Obama touting a conservative soldier who died at the hands of a policy of Mitt’s, to help make a case for his election, you all would be pissed and pitching a ringtail fit. Even if all he’d said so far was exactly what Mitt has, so stop being so fake and disingenous.

It makes you look as bad as her.

Boomer_Sooner on October 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Stop pretending.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Clowns to the left of me…jokers to the right…

RepubChica on October 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I guess it would like everyone to believe he’s still a Paul supporter?

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM

It makes you look as bad as her.

Boomer_Sooner on October 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM

\
Wait, what?

Count to 10 on October 10, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Well, after BS’s stern, pretentious lecture…..

Benghazi is a part of history, a part of what happens when an incompetent president is given responsibilities far beyond his maturity level or degree of preparation to hold such office. We know why the Benghazi consulate fell. It was repeatedly denied property security options given the risk level. To ignore that is to ignore lessons of history where sometimes it takes looking “bad” to face squarely the problem which created Zero’s Benghazi failure.

True leaders see things as they are not as they wish them to be which is why Zero fails so miserably pretending to be a leader.

viking01 on October 10, 2012 at 9:25 PM

RepubChica on October 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Hey, verbaluce, take your time looking up the word ‘complex’. Just go about our project nice and slow so you don’t screw it up. I’ll even let you put kitten stickers on the corners.

RepubChica on October 10, 2012 at 9:32 PM

How dreadful. I am sorry for her loss, but to view a terrorist attack involving the death of your son as a bump in the road is incomprehensible to me. To be able to apply the same phrasing as Obama suggests that she has been successfully brainwashed-to the point where the loss of her son is a “bump in the road”.

Is there no limit to the blind sacrifice that Obama’s supporters are willing to make? Has there been any significant progress in the Middle East in the last 4 years?

talkingpoints on October 10, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Stop pretending.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Clowns to the left of me…jokers to the right…

RepubChica on October 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Well, if we’re stuck in the middle, I glad it’s with you two.

kingsjester on October 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM

He’s just a Troll, playing Rhetorical Games.

The other one’s just a pompous windbag.

The newest just spouts pre-written talking points.

I’ll be glad on November 7th, when they all go back into hiding.

kingsjester on October 10, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Pretty damned funny, these Democrat trolls.

Such sinceeeere concern over “politicizing the deaths of our heroes.” Why, these paragons of modesty and rectitude would never wave the bloody shirt themselves. No, sir.

Yeah. Really f***ing funny.

OhioCoastie on October 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM

He’s just a Troll, playing Rhetorical Games.

The other one’s just a pompous windbag.

The newest just spouts pre-written talking points.

I’ll be glad on November 7th, when they all go back into hiding.

kingsjester on October 10, 2012 at 10:17 PM

As usual, you make multiple posts that have nothing to do with the topic and instead personally attack those you don’t agree with.

Who’s the troll?

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Who’s the troll?

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 11:08 PM

…Not you…you’re a lowlife!

KOOLAID2 on October 10, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Romney was nicer to her son than Obama was.

When a Mother loses a child and she thinks how will this affect Obama, that is some strong kool aid.

Moesart on October 10, 2012 at 11:33 PM

verbaluce on October 10, 2012

…is there a “diet” you’re on that makes you stupid?

KOOLAID2 on October 10, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Romney is a class act and I hope we elect him president.

Obama is a narcissistic faker always focused “like a laser” on perceptions over the truth.

Sherman1864 on October 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Who’s the troll?

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Why, it couldn’t be you…’cause you’re an idiot.

Solaratov on October 11, 2012 at 12:18 AM

So, would Mom Doherty object if Obama mentioned her son?

profitsbeard on October 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Ahh, another mother Sheehan.

Wonder what her son would have said about her statement?

Fatal on October 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Please.

That’s your only line because some of us don’t give an F about prog guilt/shame tactics…

You answer them, trolldouche…

It’s spoonfed agitprop…

End.

budfox on October 10, 2012 at 7:33 PM

F*** yes. Thank you.

WeekendAtBernankes on October 11, 2012 at 2:22 AM

She added, “I don’t trust Romney.”

And she trusts Obama? Whose people have been lying about her son’s death for almost a month? Who tried to blame a damn video for what they knew was a terrorist act? For Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama standing there with her son’s blood dripping from their hands because they withdrew security knowing something was going to happen? This woman is an utter fool.

logicman_1998 on October 11, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Who’s the troll?

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I’m not sure I’d consider you a troll. You’ve always appeared to hawk for paul and then show nothing but utter contempt for everything else Conservative. To the point where you thought you’d get away with defining what “Conservative” was. Your every post here either denigrating the right or propping up obama.

I would say you’re better defined as a Moby. Here saying you’re one thing and adding commentary that is the exact opposite.

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 7:20 AM

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 7:20 AM

All evidence to the contrary, of course. It doens’t matter; you’re going to see what you want to see, facts be damned.

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Chris Horton, RIP with our deepest gratitude.
Jane Horton, God’s speed.

Leave the families of our fallen military personnel be. Unless you’ve lost an immediate family member, let them deal with their losses without adding to their trauma.

maverick muse on October 11, 2012 at 8:40 AM

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Dude, we could write an entire book with your quotes slamming one Conservative principle after another. I’d start with your insistance that artists have no rights to their products and finish with a whole chapter on you defending obama over the most inane points. I will admit one thing. When you do defend obama and his actions, it’s hard to determine whether you’re doing it because you believe what you say or whether you just like being confrontational with Conservatives.

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Chris Horton, RIP with our deepest gratitude.
Jane Horton, God’s speed.

maverick muse on October 11, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Unless you’ve lost someone? Are you kidding, MM? Do you want to go further and say that if you haven’t served you shouldn’t be allowed to discuss anything related to the military?

The military serves to protect the rights of all citizens to speak.

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Who’s the troll?

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 11:08 PM

My brother hawkcriver probaly right. You’re not a Troll. You’re a Moby. You are just here to play Rhetorical Games.

Funny…the House of Representatives and the Senate Republicans who follow me on Twitter don’t consider me a Troll…

kingsjester on October 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Intellectual property (copyright, patent, etc.) is state-granted monopoly privilege designed to eliminate competition and restrict the free market. If it’s such a right, then why is there an expiration date? That you would be in favor of this government interventionism and market control is by no means a conservative position. I know this is a challenge to your status quo thinking.

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Right.. I can recall Dante saying the most hateful things about the troops when the mood struck him,.. all for the greater glory of Paul’s 911 was OUR fault lunacy.

so now.. now.. he’s all concerned about the propriety of exploiting the fallen?.. When Mitt was nothing but respectful, and never even mentioned Obama?

after Obama violated the unspoken rule of not photographing the incoming fallen at Dover, with him painting his face with their blood.. respect to Hawkdriver..

Dante..

You’re either a petulant child.. with no damn sense..

or the most cynical of manipulating partisan hacks..

Mitt has shown nothing but respect, as Bush did.. While the left has trashed our fallen when it’s convenient, like you do.. and Obama did, before he needed the votes of independents..

now, he panders..

and you make stuff up.. and that mom did refer to the events which caused her son’s death.. as a bump in the road.. apparently to lefty utopia.. where unicorns only fart on conservatives.. and the crafty yet oppressed Islamists only kill because republicans “make” them do it….

We’re sick of them, her.. and you right now..

and half a brain exactly describes you and that azz verbie..

mark81150 on October 11, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

So you like internet piracy, and don’t like paying for what you take..

got it..

Have a large DVD collection of pirated films and music do you?

Even Paul would find theft of a musician’s work wrong.. why don’t you?.. if he doesn’t.. that puts you and him on the tinyest fraction of a subset of a minority view…

Do you believe in private ownership of property or not.?

mark81150 on October 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM

mark81150 on October 11, 2012 at 9:14 AM

As usual, you are confusing your fantasies for reality.

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM

So you like internet piracy, and don’t like paying for what you take..

got it..

Have a large DVD collection of pirated films and music do you?

Do you believe in private ownership of property or not.?

mark81150 on October 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Such ignorance, and you probably don’t even realize the ridiculousness of the part I highlighted.

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I know this is a challenge to your status quo thinking.

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I’m an artist. Copy my work and I’ll sue you.

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 9:30 AM

mark81150 on October 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM

He’d be perfectly fine with a copy shop taking a hot new CD or DVD and pirating it for resale. Once it’s on a disk, it’s public property in his mind.

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I’m an artist. Copy my work and I’ll sue you.

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 9:30 AM

There you go, threatening to use the force of government in order to control the market and restrict competition. A very conservative position you have there. You don’t have any right to prevent someone from copying, duplicating, or mimicing your work.

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I thought conservatives were in favor of property rights? Why are you against property rights? That DVD or CD is my property, not yours. Copying it is not taking anything from you; nothing was stolen from you. Even if you think it’s ok for someone to make copies for backup purposes, it is still copying, is it not?

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Dante on October 11, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Like hitting F9 on my keyboard and being guaranteed a particular result.

Your Achilles’ heel.

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Hawkdriver has hijacked the thread, so I’ll just put this here for him and especially for anyone with an open mind who actually favors the free market and is opposed to government interventionism in the market:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

How Intellectual Property Hampers Capitalism

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 9:38 AM

By the way. I don’t mind you owning a box. But when you take things out of my box and put them in yours, you’re stealing.

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Continuing with your metaphor, no one is taking anything from your box. If I purchase a DVD, I own that DVD; it is my property. If I make a copy of my DVD, I have not taken anything from you; there is no theft.

The fact of the matter is intellectual property, copyrights, patents, etc., are government-mandated monopoly privileges designed to restrict competition and to control the market. No different than government forcing people to obtain licenses in order to operate a business or provide a service; the goal is to control the market and to reduce competition. No matter how radical you feel this view is, you are siding with government force, siding against the free market, and siding against property rights.

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Strange how HotAir restricts links.

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM

If I produce an album or a computer program. Something that fits on a disk. And before I have a chance to realize my profits on it, you take said product and pirate it and take those profits from me instead. You think it’s fair that I go out of business because I supplied the production cost, but you simply reproduced it and made the profits instead?

How many additional products do you think I’d be willing to “produce” if that were the law of the land?

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 10:05 AM

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 10:05 AM

How can someone take something from you that you never had?

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 10:05 AM

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Should the government restrict all business until the owners can turn a profit? Should all restaurants be shut down, and then allowed to reopen in turn once each owner has turned a profit? Do you think it is government’s job to control the market and restrict competition to ensure a business makes a profit?

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Dante’s juvenile views on copyrights/trademarks makes him sound like an angry, shallow-thinking, high-school anarchist to me.

Anti-Control on October 11, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Let’s try it one at a time

How Intellectual Property Hampers Capitalism

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Anti-Control on October 11, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Ironic screen name you have there.

Dante on October 11, 2012 at 10:12 AM