Romney won’t tell story of meeting former SEAL killed in Benghazi after SEAL’s mom objects Update: Widow of another SEAL says Romney mention ‘greatest honor’

posted at 2:41 pm on October 10, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

The Romney campaign has vowed not to tell the story of Romney’s chance meeting with the late Glen Doherty anymore, as Doherty’s mother objected to it publicly. Romney related a tale of meeting the “impressive” young man at a Christmas party, on the trail Tuesday. Doherty was killed in the attacks on the Benghazi consulate in Libya last month.

Mitt Romney’s campaign said today he will stop citing his meeting with a former Navy Seal killed in last month’s terror attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya after the victim’s mother protested his use of her son’s death.

“He shouldn’t make my son’s death part of his political agenda. It’s wrong to use these brave young men, who wanted freedom for all, to degrade Obama,” said Barbara Doherty, the mother of the slain Navy Seal Glen Doherty.

She added, “I don’t trust Romney.”

You can watch the clip, in which Romney doesn’t use Doherty’s name, and decide if that’s what he was doing, but the campaign is of course right to respect her wishes. I know it’s impossible for me to post a moment from a presidential candidate without political implications, but truly, what’s striking about this story is the remarkable coincidence that led Mitt Romney to have had a personal encounter with Doherty, who ended up at the tragic center of this story this month. From a pure human interest angle, it’s fascinating, and clearly told with respect and in good faith by Romney:

For what it’s worth, I hope Romney’s short-lived mention of the circumstances of Doherty’s death, in which he was going above and beyond to serve and save others, leads to a wider understanding of his heroism.

In comments that have gotten far less coverage, the mother of former SEAL Tyrone Woods, also killed that day in Benghazi, took to her Facebook page to object to the administration’s handling of the investigation of the attack:

Don’t want to ever politicize the loss of my son in Libya, but it has been 16 days and the FBI has yet to get to Benghazi to begin their investigation. Apparently they have made it to Tripoli but haven’t been allowed to enter Benghazi. Meanwhile, the diplomatic outpost where Tyrone and Glen died, was not and is not secured. Absolutely unacceptable.

Update: The other side of this coin is Jane Horton, the widow of Navy SEAL Chris Horton, killed in action in Afghanistan:

Jane Horton began crying on the other end of the phone when she learned that Mitt Romney had been using the story of her husband, Chris Horton, who was killed in Afghanistan, as a part of his stump speech.

“Wow,” the 26-year-old said. “I had no idea.

“To be honest, I’ve been through a lot and I’m not a super emotional person but it brings me to tears,” Horton said in an interview with ABC News, after being informed of her husband’s newfound spot on the national stage. “Not that he’s telling my story, but that he’s telling my husband’s story, it means the world to me.

And, the quote Romney should put on his bathroom mirror for inspiration:

“One of the last things my husband said to me before he was killed, when I would ask him, ‘Chris, what do you need over there? What can I send you?’ he said, ‘I need a new president,’” Horton recalled.

Her husband had done some work in the Oklahoma Romney office in 2008, and Romney tracked Jane down in 2011 after he heard of his death, sending her a hand-written note. The two wrote back and forth several times:

They first spoke when Romney wrote her a handwritten letter after Chris was killed. It was Oct. 1, 2011, Horton said, re-reading the letter as she spoke, remembering that she was shocked Romney had put two and two together — that one of his many staffers had been killed and he’d figured out a way to find his wife.

A few months later, Horton still touched by Romney’s outreach and thinking about her husband’s support of the candidate, decided to send the candidate his name tape — the part of a soldier’s uniform that displays his last name.

Jane, who I had the privilege of meeting at the Republican National Convention when she was serving as an Oklahoma delegate, calls it the “greatest honor” that Romney is getting out the story of her husband, which is exactly what he would have wanted.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Or assume his thought process’ that is…

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Liars, liars, pants on fire.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Sadly the mom has degraded herself. Romney honored her son and reached across to hold up a Leftist as a patriot.

kingsmill on October 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM

blink on October 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM

You need to blink a little more :)

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I can see where MKH is coming from in terms of protecting the integrity of HA.

Jackalope on October 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Can someone please explain this to me?

JPeterman on October 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM

The ban threat over a reasonable discussion point is the first time I have seen MKH use questionable judgment since she began posting here. Hopefully an explanation is forthcoming, but if it’s not, it stands as part of the record. Time will tell if it can be dismissed as a momentary lapse or if it becomes part of a trend.

IamDA on October 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM

The discussion needs to go back to MKH. I thought her contributing purpose here was to post a story and open it for discussion, not censor the comments and threaten banning?

Next MKH will be joining Team Obozo to ban the First Amendment…

stacman on October 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM

blink on October 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM

You need to blink a tad more :)

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I don’t think anybody can explain dante’s convoluted logicor assje his thout process :)…I read three times his sentences above and still have no idea what he is trying to say, the only thing I understood and recognized in there was Ann Coulter :)……But then I’m French native :)…

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM

It’s pretty simple. Here you go:

Link for you

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Someone certainly thinks highly of themselves.

rjl1999 on October 10, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Someone thinks poorly of threats. Particularly ill considered ones.

Irritable Pundit on October 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM

His sister separately told CNN affiliate WCVB that she did not have a problem with Romney’s story.

“It was nice what he said. Being an American hero is bipartisan,” said Doherty’s sister, Kate Quigley. “I am happy for it, and I was honored by Obama’s coming home ceremony.”

This deserves to be mentioned. It was buried in a CNN story on this.

bucsox79 on October 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Reposted for this column, with compliments for attention to detail, bucsox79.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Not to worry! Joe Biden will steal the story and tell it as his own at the debate on Thursday night!

albill on October 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM

People do and say things that we can not understand while they are grieving. Romney is doing the right thing and you can expect the other side to milk it. She is entitled to her grieving. I hope when she has time that she realizes after she is done that it was not Romneys fault but the fault of the one she apparently supports.

crosshugger on October 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I don’t think..
Dante

We know.

Hard Right on October 10, 2012 at 4:48 PM

If that grieving woman would pull her head out of her ass she might recognize that Romney is a far better steward of Freedom and Prosperity and Individual Liberty than that marxist cretin Obama.

rayra on October 10, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Reposted for this column, with compliments for attention to detail, bucsox79.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Hmmm.. I had missed that. Thanks.

Oh! I owe you a :)

Irritable Pundit on October 10, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Please don’t tell me Dante fouled this thread with his spewings.

How dispectful and sad.

kingsjester on October 10, 2012 at 4:50 PM

It is an interesting coincidence but not worthy of a distraction since the mom convinced Romney to not use it as a throw away stump speech line. I’m sure I would tell people about it if I had met the hero, but if it made the national news just once, I wouldn’t have to keep repeating it.

Thanks to MKH and Hot Air for trying to keep their comment section under control. Don’t change a thing.

mike_NC9 on October 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Everyone grieves in their own way I guess, but when my sister lost her husband (not in war) I cannot imagine her being able or wanting to speak to the press.

MontanaMmmm on October 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

She added, I don’t trust Romney.

That’s all we need to know about Cindy Sheehan

Barbara Doherty.
I’m sure it’s not at all political with her !!

burrata on October 10, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Precisely.

98ZJUSMC on October 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

So, we are concerned that MKH has lost it because she threatened to ban anyone who beats up on a woman who is grieving over the loss of her son, doesn’t want his memory to be used in a political campaign, and may, in fact, have lost it. Time to move on.

STL_Vet on October 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Now that Romney has said he will stop talking about it, I hope the whole thing fades away. Certainly, Romney AND all on the right should stop talking about it. IMMEDIATELY.
If Obama’s side wishes to keep this in he news, let ‘em for a few days. We just keep quiet.
Keeping this in the news will only draw more attention to the Libya fiasco and there be demons for Obama. If the left chooses to go there, we should let them take us. We’re ready.

Jabberwock on October 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Despite having relevant experience on this subject, I’m not allowed to share it. Thanks for the heads up.

tuffy on October 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM

How dispectful and sad.

kingsjester on October 10, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Maybe I should follow your example of respectfulness and engage in personal attacks and name calling?

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Mrs Doherty i am sorry for your loss but do yo realize that it was possibly Obama policy in Libya that got your son killed in the first place .

logman1 on October 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Not name-calling, o tin foil hat wearer. Truth speaking.

Everyone around here is tired of your Tolling and Rhetorical Games. Or, haven’t you figured that out, yet?

kingsjester on October 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I’m sure that form letter from Obummer that the mother receives for her sons death will bring comfort to her.

Bad Mitt Romney because he didn’t put proper security in place in Benghazi while a private citizen. Yeah, that Mitt Romney is dishonest.

Typicalwhitewoman on October 10, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I looked through the statement Romney made

“When he and his colleagues there heard that the consulate was under attack … they went there. They didn’t hunker down where they were in safety. They rushed there to go help,” Romney said. “This is the American way: We go where there’s trouble. We go where we’re needed. And right now we’re needed. Right now the American people need us.”

Where in that did he degrade Barry? Did Barbara Doherty politicize her son’s death more by claiming Romney degraded Barry and that she did not trust Romney?

bayview on October 10, 2012 at 5:02 PM

logman1 on October 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Bush reestablished diplomatic relations with Libya, not Obama.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 5:03 PM

It’s a job for the Marines, not the FBI.

rbj on October 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Nope. The FBI almost always has an attache at embassies and consulates, and has first jurisdiction for investigating because an embassy is U.S. “soil”. Of course, if the incidents involved active-duty Marines, then the NCIS may be jointly involved.

Nutstuyu on October 10, 2012 at 5:03 PM

They really should’ve checked with her first, but he was talking about it to note the American spirit, how he went TO the consulate to aid those in trouble. The comment about not trusting him says this is more about HER partisan politics than his.

changer1701 on October 10, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Why? Was Mr. Doherty a minor?

Nutstuyu on October 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Well I see the Ministry of Truth aka the MSM is working overtime on this one to make Mitt look bad. So tired of the liberal hacks at “The Ministry Of Truth.”

Momma on October 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Doherty’s wife was very pleased about this. i don’t get it except that Momma is a democrat…and BO is responsible for her son’s death. ?don’t trust romney? projection much?

gracie on October 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM

STL_Vet on October 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM

We are ‘concerned’ because the post itself discusses the political implications of the mother’s remarks, and then threatens us with banning if we criticize the mother’s remarks for their political implications. Having already dipped her toe in the politcal water by publicly agreeing with Obama on the attack being a bump in the road, it is reasonable to conclude that she is already far enough down the Sheehan road to not be able to use her grief as a shield against criticism.

IamDA on October 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Bush reestablished diplomatic relations with Libya, not Obama.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 5:03 PM

That he did. It was Obama that excercised a policy of interventionism.
What’s you point ? I thought you were FOR diplomatic relations and trade.

Jabberwock on October 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Oh jayzus.
This is gonna be good.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Heh, ‘weapons’ of a totally different nature.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM

That’s what I meant by ‘unconventional’…like swalker pointed out the other day, you’d have thought that we were trying to stop that from happening, which is precisely Assad people trying to slip some of the chemical stuff to Hizballah, but the Istaelis took care of it apparently (see Bekaa Valley Hizballah ‘weapon’ deposit kaboom) and as a thank you we offered the Muslim Bros in Syria something in exchange to help with their revolution/printemps arab là-bas :), like conventional weapons, to be picked up in Lybia….you gotta love the explanation that the two killed navy seals were there to collect and destroy weapons from the local militias :)…Decommissioning 101 )…

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Nordstrom should have told Obama they were being attacked by TEA partiers.

mike_NC9 on October 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

kingsjester on October 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I’m commenting on the blog content. You jumped in and made a personal attack against a poster, yet you are trying to claim the high ground?

You’re a troll.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Wife trumps mother.

Blake on October 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Uh…no…you do.
Why do you?
Please stop…ok?

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Really? “I know you are but what am I?” Romney was only personalizing his reaction to Libya. The mother is politicizing it. I feel terrible for her loss and her wishes should be respected….although I wonder what HIS wishes were? Her political views shouldn’t trump his.

hoosierma on October 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM

That he did. It was Obama that excercised a policy of interventionism.
What’s you point ? I thought you were FOR diplomatic relations and trade.

Jabberwock on October 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Since I don’t know Cindy Sheehan personally I have always thought she lost her mind when her son was killed. She has never done anything to change my opinion either. I always felt badly for her surviving children, they lost a brother and a mom.

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Possibly.. My mother after loosing my sister at 23 from cancer, never recovered.. she developed an absolute hatred and terror of doctors, blaming them and their profession for Debra’s death. Irrational, and it ended up killing her, she herself developed breast cancer, and refused to tell anyone, hiding it completely.. she complained of terrible pain. but all attempts to take her to the doctor ended in her screaming irrationally.. finally, My brother and I literally kidnapped her and carried her in the ER..

but it was two late,.. and when the doctor said cancer, she just gave up.. and passed away 5 days later.. screaming for 8 hours straight through a morphine drip from the pain.. before finally lapsing into a coma…. I can still hear those screams..

so.. yes.. I can agree, she may have lost her mind.. I don’t know if a man can ever really know the bond a woman has,.. even when we lost our son.. I know what it’s like, but a mother..

Maybe it is grief.. maybe.. but we’ll never know..

mark81150 on October 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

What price would be worth a son? Or daughter?

This woman deserves the benefit of any doubt here.

cozmo on October 10, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Well, to start, $11,040,198. The average debt per U.S. taxpayer times average life expectancy.

Nutstuyu on October 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Romney basically said that her son was a hero and represented everything that is right about America.

The bastard.

Sugar Land on October 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM

It’s pretty simple. Here you go:

Link for you

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Much obliged. :)

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 5:14 PM

IamDA on October 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Really? You really want to compare one quote from a grieving mother with Cindy Sheehan camping out across from President Bush’s ranch.

As I said, grieving mother. Enough said. Move on.

STL_Vet on October 10, 2012 at 5:14 PM

We understand that you disagree with MKH’s comment, but I really think you’re getting too upset by it.
blink on October 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Yup, folks who are all worked up about that gotta untwist the knickers a bit and move on. It’s only Wednesday, there will be more things to be outraged about before the week is over.

whatcat on October 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM

blink on October 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

whatcat on October 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Think the debate tomorrow and the media spin ensuing, eh :)… You are actually right…

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I think it’s odd that this mother doesn’t want the world to know what a lovely man her son was. I heard the story on Rush today and it sure didn’t sound political to me.

BettyRuth on October 10, 2012 at 5:19 PM

IamDA on October 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM

As I said, grieving mother. Enough said. Move on.
STL_Vet on October 10, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Yeah, people who have suffered a great loss often blurt out things that don’t make sense. I’d chalk this up in that column for now.

whatcat on October 10, 2012 at 5:19 PM

No. We’ve had a foreign policy of interventionism for the past 100+ years. Obama has merely continued that policy.I am for diplomatic relations and trade, but we should have suspended our diplomatic mission in Libya following Qaddafi’s removal.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Get Out ! Are you implying that Obama had no choice ?
Or that any other President for that matter. Simply because that has been our policy for 100+ years.
Whoa be us !!
NO WAY. Obama made a choice to go into Libya. ON HIS OWN

Jabberwock on October 10, 2012 at 5:19 PM

The bastard.

Sugar Land on October 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I don’t think that is appropriate language for the mother of a fallen veteran.

STL_Vet on October 10, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Exactly, and if you bad-mouth her or question her motives, you’ll get deleted or banned. Have as much respect as the Romney camp has had for her. It’s a far better way to honor her son’s memory than lashing out at her because she happens to like Obama or not like Romney.

Mary Katharine Ham on October 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Don’t think so. I’m not running for elected office, and so I’m free to think and say the mother is an idiot and is ruining the sacrifice her son made. So ban me.

Nutstuyu on October 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Mrs Doherty might be a brainwashed Obo Drone but Romney shouldn’t have mentioned the kid. He only met him once and he was using the death of Dougherty for a political end. ALso, his people should have sussed Douherty’s political leanings before bringing them into this. Are the debate prep advisers the same as the stump speech advisers? Romney often does himself more harm on the stump then good.

It was a small Romney stumble and his response to Douherty’s complaint was the right one.

BoxHead1 on October 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I am comparing two quotes, though I only mentioned one. The earlier quote agrees with Obama on the attack being a bump in the road, and today’s quote about not trusting Romney. I left the one discussed in the post out for brevity, but if you insist. Let’s hope for everyone’s sake that it ends today, and she does not end up further down the Sheehan road.

IamDA on October 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM

whatcat on October 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Indeed – I’m expecting the media will try to even the score for Obama via the VP debate.

whatcat on October 10, 2012 at 5:21 PM

She added, “I don’t trust Romney.”

Ooooooooooooh. I didn’t see that part. Now I get it.

BettyRuth on October 10, 2012 at 5:23 PM

IamDA on October 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Sorry…didn’t follow your thoughts as you intended.

STL_Vet on October 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Second, the War Powers Act/Resolution is unconstitutional.

Sure about that? Please cite the Supreme Court case.

Nutstuyu on October 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM

whatcat on October 10, 2012 at 5:21 PM

They won’t “try,” they just will. They HAVE TO win this debate. It doesn’t matter how poorly Biden does, he will “win.”

rrpjr on October 10, 2012 at 5:26 PM

She added, “I don’t trust Romney.”

But of course, your buddy Barky is responsible for Glen’s death. Just another example of the idiots who voted for Obama who have no idea what kind of snake he really is.

But you don’t trust Romney, Barb, because Barky told you not to.

Stupid $%#@!

disa on October 10, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Get Out ! Are you implying that Obama had no choice ?
Whoa be us !!
NO WAY. Obama made a choice to go into Libya. ON HIS OWN

Jabberwock on October 10, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Not at all, but we were already in Libya. That’s the point. It would’ve been a target regardless of Obama’s actions in Libya.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I think we and Romeny have every right to talk about how it was Obama’s incompetency that got her son killed.

Blake on October 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM

The bastard.
Sugar Land on October 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I don’t think that is appropriate language for the mother of a fallen veteran.
STL_Vet on October 10, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Pretty sure he/she was referring sarcastically to Romney being the bastard.

Unlike this jerk:

But you don’t trust Romney, Barb, because Barky told you not to.
Stupid $%#@!
disa on October 10, 2012 at 5:26 PM

rjl1999 on October 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Be nice all… Or no comment for you.

-Signed, The Comment Nazi. (aka MKH)

kevinkristy on October 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM

She agreed the thunderstorm was a bump in the road, not that the rain was a bump in the road.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Wow, that’s some pretty cool logic. I’ll have to try that sometime.

Nutstuyu on October 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM

That makes less sense than your usual pap.

cozmo on October 10, 2012 at 5:30 PM

If the mother had simply stated that she would prefer neither politician mention her son by name, that would have been fine. But this crap about not trusting Romney and degrading Obama is BS.

Blake on October 10, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Y’all bashing MKH realize that its her sandbox we’re are playing, right?

cozmo on October 10, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Bush reestablished diplomatic relations with Libya, not Obama.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 5:03 PM

So…It’s all Booosh’s fault!!!

Which makes you…an idiot.

Solaratov on October 10, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Sure about that? Please cite the Supreme Court case.

Nutstuyu on October 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Not sure, but certain. You do know that the Supreme Court doesn’t decide what is constitutional; the people decide what is constitutional. The Supreme Court claimed a power for itself that it was not granted.

Link 1

Link 2

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Second, the War Powers Act/Resolution is unconstitutional.
Sure about that? Please cite the Supreme Court case.

Nutstuyu on October 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM

No one has ever formally challanged the WPA.
Never been in court.
Congress always gets week kneed when it becomes an issue. And caves to CiC.

I think if brought before the Court, it would be found unconstitutional.

Jabberwock on October 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Really guys? Some of you disagree with MKH (as we all have different thoughts – no problem there) so you have to get nasty about it?

We have an election to win – this does not help.

Romney is wise here – as we are learning more about him.

22044 on October 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM

It’s sickening what liberalism does to people. This woman will use her dead son to prop up the failed candidacy of the man who got him killed. Tragic.

Rational Thought on October 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM

You know,it would have been one thing if the woman simply asked the Romney campaign to stop telling his story, but the minute she said she didn’t trust him was the minute she turned it into a oulitical football.Typical hypocritical leftist!

redware on October 10, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Wow, that’s some pretty cool logic. I’ll have to try that sometime.

Nutstuyu on October 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Why are you putting words in my mouth?

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 5:34 PM

The focus of this should be on the Obama administration mishandling of Benghazi, not on Romney’s alleged insensitivity. This story is now one of the main stories on Yahoo news; yet, there is no mention that the adminstration knew that the embassy attack was by terrorists from the get-go, or that Ambassador Susan Rice completely mislead the public. It’s amazing how the media can take a story and completely miss the forest for the trees. If anyone should be embarrassed, it should be Obama and his State Department.

Vera71 on October 10, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

It’s just amazing that lil barry hasn’t called on you for advice, given your grasp of international relations.

Perhaps Mitt will recognize your unheralded talents.

In the meantime…you’re still an idiot.

Solaratov on October 10, 2012 at 5:37 PM

No one has ever formally challanged the WPA.
Never been in court.
Congress always gets week kneed when it becomes an issue. And caves to CiC.

I think if brought before the Court, it would be found unconstitutional.

Jabberwock on October 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I agree. It was nothing more than a political maneuver by Congress to dodge their constitutional responsibility.

Daemonocracy on October 10, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM

So, you’re saying that we shouldn’t have had any diplomatic presence in Libya since….forever.

Amazing!

Idiot.

Solaratov on October 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM

kingsmill on October 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Why would you assume that the mother and son share similar political views?

While my sister leans way to the left – her son is an Air Force pilot, who has flown multiple tours in Afghanistan. He speaks respectfully of his commander-in-chief, but he in no way shares or espouses the viewpoints of the president and those on the left.

What’s unfortunate is that this mother is questioning Romney’s motives – and has herself politicized the discussion.

Hill60 on October 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Y’all bashing MKH realize that its her sandbox we’re are playing, right?

cozmo on October 10, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I don’t think it’s bashing but she’s driving some of us away in confusion at the moment. When your host has a sudden outburst, unexplained and unqualified, that implies that the rules you’ve been playing by all along have suddenly changed, with no specification of what the new rules are, then yeah, we’re wondering …

stukinIL4now on October 10, 2012 at 5:50 PM

then yeah, we’re wondering …

stukinIL4now on October 10, 2012 at 5:50 PM

That makes her a smart moderator.

We should always be in fear of the hammer. It makes a person think before posting.

cozmo on October 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Y’all bashing MKH realize that its her sandbox we’re are playing, right?
cozmo on October 10, 2012 at 5:31 PM

stukinIL4now on October 10, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Word is that if a person untwists his kickers it enables more blood to flow to the brain, thus helping to dispel confusion.
i.e. Chill – there will be more stuff than you can shake a stick at to be outraged about for a good 3-4 weeks yet, at least.

whatcat on October 10, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on October 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM

So, is Cindy Sheehan off limits for criticism? It’s reasonable to be respectful of the mother but to issue an order which says one can’t even question her motives is over the top. Your blog, not mine but I’ve been here for many years now and I’ve never such a censorious response over mere criticism.

Buy Danish on October 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Source of the comments.

The Romney campaign likely said that any mention of her son’s death would be within certain bounds. Still not thinking straight, she just blurted “I don’t trust Romney.”

I lost a young son.

I would attack only those who had fault, in my opinion at the time.

Making a statement like that and then tossing in the trust factor meant that she is half witted. Maybe she will recover. Right now she is sheltering the guys who either contributed to her son’s death or lied about ti afterward.

In my opinion they are guilty of both.

As I said above, she gets no sympathy from me.

IlikedAUH2O on October 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM

That makes her a smart moderator.

cozmo on October 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM

lol “That makes her a smart moderator”, and, “We should always be in fear of the hammer”.

Thanks for the laugh, control freak!

Anti-Control on October 10, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I would want my mom to ask that the country be destroyed in revenge.

IlikedAUH2O on October 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Its too bad the mother isn’t smart enough to see through Obama, although apparently she thinks she is smart enough to see through Romney’s intentions.

All she had to do was quietly give the Romney campaign a heads up that she would prefer Mitt not talking about her son.

Instead, she goes to the news media.

Amjean on October 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Excellent post, indicating what kind of agenda she has!

Anti-Control on October 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM

That makes her a smart moderator.

cozmo on October 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Obviously it’s expected that we not behave like left wing wackos with their vile commentary, threats of violence, and the like. But to flat out state that someone can’t be criticized lest their comments be deleted or they be banned is disturbing coming from a conservative blog, and this blog in particular. That’s a very wide net of censorship that’s been cast.

Buy Danish on October 10, 2012 at 6:19 PM

This deserves to be mentioned. It was buried in a CNN story on this.

bucsox79 on October 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM

comzo, mike_NC9, et al., is it a bannable offense to say that I like Glen Doherty’s sister Kate a lot more than his mother? Should it be?

What exactly is good about being in the position where the idea to ask those particular questions here at HA occurs to me?

Anti-Control on October 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Perhaps Mitt will recognize your unheralded talents.

In the meantime…you’re still an idiot.

Solaratov on October 10, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Epic laughter :)

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Wife trumps mother.

Blake on October 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

+100!

I wouldn’t mind his mom genuinely not wanting her son to be mentioned, but I lose most all sympathy on this issue when the lady misconstrues Romney’s genuine honoring of her son who he had met and then in turn goes partisan herself to make Romney look bad.

I’m glad his wife apparently appreciated it.

jaygatz33 on October 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Anti-Control on October 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM

What do I care? It ain’t me doin’ the moderating. Or banning.

If you think it might be a bannable offense, you might straighten up…or be gone.

cozmo on October 10, 2012 at 6:40 PM

In my opinion they are guilty of both.

As I said above, she gets no sympathy from me.

IlikedAUH2O on October 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I believe that you have bad mouthed Ms.Doherty with your comments and questioned her motives with your post.

You need to be banned ASAP/////

JPeterman on October 10, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I find it funny that alot of people here blame Obama for how divided we are as a country. Look at your own views, if Romney wins will you suddenly became more acceptable of people who hold views different then your own. Are will all democrats still be stupid,idiots,dummies, America haters, etc etc. Will this mom who lost her son still “not be worthy of your respect” as one poster commented.

Geeze, take a breath and relax people. No matter who wins I gurantee you your party will get another chance at the Presidency.

It’s not worth busting a blood vessel in your brain over.

Chill out.

Politricks on October 10, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Maybe Ed should handle these threads in the future? Wasn’t he AF?

I suggested a long time ago that HA bring in at least one veteran of our current war as a regular blogger. I wish they had done so.

Mil folks, when you’re doing your POA and all that crap, tell your spouse how you want media handled after death. One piece of paper in your file at home. One little note. I was told to shut up (even publicly joust with) relatives who would politicize the situation. The sacrifice matters and shouldn’t be used as a distraction. So, how about that hearing? Watch any of it?

tuffy on October 10, 2012 at 6:44 PM