Romney won’t tell story of meeting former SEAL killed in Benghazi after SEAL’s mom objects Update: Widow of another SEAL says Romney mention ‘greatest honor’

posted at 2:41 pm on October 10, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

The Romney campaign has vowed not to tell the story of Romney’s chance meeting with the late Glen Doherty anymore, as Doherty’s mother objected to it publicly. Romney related a tale of meeting the “impressive” young man at a Christmas party, on the trail Tuesday. Doherty was killed in the attacks on the Benghazi consulate in Libya last month.

Mitt Romney’s campaign said today he will stop citing his meeting with a former Navy Seal killed in last month’s terror attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya after the victim’s mother protested his use of her son’s death.

“He shouldn’t make my son’s death part of his political agenda. It’s wrong to use these brave young men, who wanted freedom for all, to degrade Obama,” said Barbara Doherty, the mother of the slain Navy Seal Glen Doherty.

She added, “I don’t trust Romney.”

You can watch the clip, in which Romney doesn’t use Doherty’s name, and decide if that’s what he was doing, but the campaign is of course right to respect her wishes. I know it’s impossible for me to post a moment from a presidential candidate without political implications, but truly, what’s striking about this story is the remarkable coincidence that led Mitt Romney to have had a personal encounter with Doherty, who ended up at the tragic center of this story this month. From a pure human interest angle, it’s fascinating, and clearly told with respect and in good faith by Romney:

For what it’s worth, I hope Romney’s short-lived mention of the circumstances of Doherty’s death, in which he was going above and beyond to serve and save others, leads to a wider understanding of his heroism.

In comments that have gotten far less coverage, the mother of former SEAL Tyrone Woods, also killed that day in Benghazi, took to her Facebook page to object to the administration’s handling of the investigation of the attack:

Don’t want to ever politicize the loss of my son in Libya, but it has been 16 days and the FBI has yet to get to Benghazi to begin their investigation. Apparently they have made it to Tripoli but haven’t been allowed to enter Benghazi. Meanwhile, the diplomatic outpost where Tyrone and Glen died, was not and is not secured. Absolutely unacceptable.

Update: The other side of this coin is Jane Horton, the widow of Navy SEAL Chris Horton, killed in action in Afghanistan:

Jane Horton began crying on the other end of the phone when she learned that Mitt Romney had been using the story of her husband, Chris Horton, who was killed in Afghanistan, as a part of his stump speech.

“Wow,” the 26-year-old said. “I had no idea.

“To be honest, I’ve been through a lot and I’m not a super emotional person but it brings me to tears,” Horton said in an interview with ABC News, after being informed of her husband’s newfound spot on the national stage. “Not that he’s telling my story, but that he’s telling my husband’s story, it means the world to me.

And, the quote Romney should put on his bathroom mirror for inspiration:

“One of the last things my husband said to me before he was killed, when I would ask him, ‘Chris, what do you need over there? What can I send you?’ he said, ‘I need a new president,’” Horton recalled.

Her husband had done some work in the Oklahoma Romney office in 2008, and Romney tracked Jane down in 2011 after he heard of his death, sending her a hand-written note. The two wrote back and forth several times:

They first spoke when Romney wrote her a handwritten letter after Chris was killed. It was Oct. 1, 2011, Horton said, re-reading the letter as she spoke, remembering that she was shocked Romney had put two and two together — that one of his many staffers had been killed and he’d figured out a way to find his wife.

A few months later, Horton still touched by Romney’s outreach and thinking about her husband’s support of the candidate, decided to send the candidate his name tape — the part of a soldier’s uniform that displays his last name.

Jane, who I had the privilege of meeting at the Republican National Convention when she was serving as an Oklahoma delegate, calls it the “greatest honor” that Romney is getting out the story of her husband, which is exactly what he would have wanted.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 6

Obama leaves her son surrounded by cut throat Al Queda with no protection, and she doesn’t trust Romney?

Barbara Doherty Cindy Sheehan

portlandon on October 10, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Perhaps. Let’s give it the old 48-hour rule on this one, though, despite it appearing that she ran straight to media, rather than first politely requesting privately with the Romney campaign directly.

Christien on October 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Did Romney get her son killed and call him a speedbump ?

burrata on October 10, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I guess you missed Romney’s foreign policy speech where he fully embraced the neoconservative/progressive foreign policy of interventionism. Not to mention his statist record.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM

rockmom on October 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Indeed

Stevens’ family s/b in front of cameras until they get the truth about what happened to their son, and why.

What you see on the news doesn’t even resemble 20% of what really happened.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Cindy Sheehan destroyed herself and her family. NO one else did.

Btw, she is running as VP with Roseanne Barr.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Now there’s a winning ticket.
*** major eyeroll ***

UltimateBob on October 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM

portlandon on October 10, 2012 at 3:03 PM

NO one shot back at the attackers. The guns were all empty.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM

She sounds like another Cindy Sheehan and if anyone was being political it was her. Losing would be horrible, but many of us have lost loved ones very near and dear to us and I seriously doubt most of us would be so overtly political when asking a candidate to stop using the name of a lost loved one.

I mean come on, “I don’t trust Romney”? What is the I doing in there? Degrading Obama? Her son is dead because the government didn’t adequately protect the embassy and take threats seriously and she is worried about Obama being degraded?

My mother would have absolutely flipped out had it been me, no matter who was in office. Both Bush and Obama have cost soldiers their lives with this asinine “hearts and minds” approach they take to war. Soldiers are meant to kill and destroy, do not send them into hostile areas if you’re not prepared to go ALL IN.

An unguarded embassy in an Arab nation with no working government? THAT is degrading.

Daemonocracy on October 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Old Country Boy on October 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM

so and son are real words. I guess I really fell for spell check (kinda like fact check).

Old Country Boy on October 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM

RIP Mr. Doherty. That said, I don’t trust his mom.

vilebody on October 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM

This remind me of the Pat Tillman family. The whole family was full of far left loons, while Tillman was a hero.

This woman is probably another DemocRat.

I feel sorry for her loss. But she is the one policizing her son’s death. Romney didn’t even mention her son’s name.

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Daemonocracy on October 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Better question: why have diplomatic missions in nations with no working government?

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Kind reminder – these men and women risk their lives, give their lives, so that all, from the left to the right, be free, and free to be stupid/delusional.

Also, not all wear uniforms. Some of the latter risk their lives even more, though all service to be honored.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM

“Don’t be political with my son,” says Mother. “Only I can be political with my son.”

John the Libertarian on October 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM

You didn’t refute his point one bit.

If anything, she shouldn’t trust either one, particularly the President who left her son to be a sitting duck.

Daemonocracy on October 10, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Romney respected her wishes, and that’s all that matters.

Christien on October 10, 2012 at 3:20 PM

She doesn’t trust Romney. I wonder if she trusts the man who caused the death of her son?

Hopeless Future on October 10, 2012 at 3:21 PM

How many SEALs has Obama KILLED with his chest-thumping leaks?

Have any SEALs been put at risk…or even dishonored in the least by Romney?

Ragspierre on October 10, 2012 at 3:21 PM

A woman with half a brain would not have made those remarks.

No sympathy from me.

IlikedAUH2O on October 10, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Barbara Doherty Cindy Sheehan
portlandon on October 10, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Christien on October 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I agree. If she goes off on anti-Romney tirades as an M.O. then she can be reminded that it was Obama who got her son killed and then tried to cover it up.

whatcat on October 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM

When you’re right, you’re right. Stevens had just returned from Germany, Austria and Switzerland and was supposed to be put in Tripoli. Standard MO for ambassadors is to be at the safest place during days like the anniversary of 9/11.

This is the main question “Why was he in Benghazi on that day?”

Yes, yes, I know what you said “Why be in Libya altogether?” Obama’s Arab ‘Spring’, which will destroy him, ironically, as it should.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Another reminder: there isn’t a single military action going on that is about keeping us free. Our government constrains and infringes upon our rights and liberties daily, not some Libyan or Syrian or Iranian or Pakistani or Afghan or Russian or Chinaman.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Ms. Doherty is seriously conflicted and should take some time to revue the circumstances that led to her son’s death.

If she wants to affix blame for ‘politicizing’ her son’s death, she should look directly at the administration and those statements made directly after the attack on the consulate, as well as those to date.

thatsafactjack on October 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM

You’re an idiot.

Solaratov on October 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Daemonocracy on October 10, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Absolutely. She shouldn’t trust either one.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Because we got involved in that mess (Republicans allowed Obama to ignore the war powers act) and left a power vacuum.

I’m sick of this foreign policy as well, especially when we went into Libya for FRENCH oil interests – why aren’t THEIR diplomats dying? However, once we create a power vacuum we need a presence to influence who eventually comes to power and the Obama administration clearly had no idea what they were doing.

Daemonocracy on October 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Better question: what’s the penalty for dereliction of duty?

antipc on October 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM

of course, it is the truth that degrades barry…sunshine

On Tuesday, anonymous state department officials told reporters that the US government had never concluded the sacking of the Benghazi mission was motivated by a US-made video ridiculing Muslims.

They said it was instead a co-ordinated assault involving several groups of men armed with machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades over an expanse of more than a mile.

The 11 September Benghazi assault, in which Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three others died, was unprecedented in recent diplomatic history, officials added.

However, in the days after the attack Mr Obama’s ambassador to the United Nations, Susan Rice, initially described it as a “spontaneous” one that arose out of a protest against the film.

weak horse, strong horse.

r keller on October 10, 2012 at 3:26 PM

link

r keller on October 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I can’t find it now but a couple weeks ago I read an article where this woman agreed with Obama, these deaths were “bumps in the road.”

Flora Duh on October 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

A woman with half a brain would not have made those remarks.

No sympathy from me.

IlikedAUH2O on October 10, 2012 at 3:21 PM

And I’m sure you would be fully cogent if the same were to happen to you.

And a reporter won’t get, or twist, a single soundbite worthy word out of you.

You are a rock.

cozmo on October 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

cozmo on October 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Prayers for your son. I’m sure you and your wife are nervous wrecks. I would be.

gophergirl on October 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Absolutely. She shouldn’t trust either one.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Yeah , but which one do you think is the lesser evil?

the_nile on October 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM

What does this have to do with the humongous incompetence by the state department that this president is overseeing, idiot…not securing your diplomatic missions and embassies and failing to ensure that they get adequate protection – what ‘s interventionism vot to do with this??? we didn’t ‘intervene’ in Egypt, yet our embassy there was thrashed…Do you even think before you open your mouth?? If anything, it’s cretins like you who advocates for more cuts, to the point that we won’t be able to protect our diplomatic personnel, much like a banana republic…

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Has MoDo declared yet that Mrs. Doherty has ‘absolute moral authority’ to question el Presidente?

slickwillie2001 on October 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

NO one shot back at the attackers. The guns were all empty.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Actually, they did shoot back. At the consulate and then at the “safe house”.
And, when the Marine extraction team got to the safe house, they shot back.

I believe that you’re referring to the rumor that the Marine guards at the embassy had no ammo for their weapons. But, the Marines have said that they did, indeed, have ammo. More than likely, those Marines had ammo available – but not actually in their weapons. (which is pretty much standard at a lot of posts.)

At the consulate, there were NO Marines at all (until the 8-man extraction force arrived at the ‘safe house’)

Solaratov on October 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM

You’re entitled to your own idiosyncracies but not to your own facts.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Flora Duh on October 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Let me help you out for a change.

Mom of Ex-Seal killed in Libya calls attack ‘a little bump in the road’

JPeterman on October 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

The ‘Benghazi’ story is beyond tragic on so many levels.

First, obviously, the murdered Americans.
Second, the cover-up and that STUPID YouTube excuse…sickening.
Third, the revelation that our people asked for more security and were denied
Fourth, the revelation that our interests were bombed/attacked earlier in the year, and the terrorists said on Facebook that they were going to attack again…and still crickets.
Fifth, The Cindy Sheehan 2.0 and a dead SEAL being used as a shinny object/squirrel.

So, so, so sad.

Jackalope on October 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Solaratov on October 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I stand by what I said. My sources are better than the media.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Daemonocracy on October 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Well, a couple of things.

Bush restored diplomatic relations with Libya. The missions were already there regardless of our military involvement last year. Second, the War Powers Act/Resolution is unconstitutional.

I don’t think we need a presence at all at this time. The last thing we need is more interventionism. Let them figure it out for themselves, and then let’s decide if it’s a nation we wish to have trade relations with.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Weapon transfer apparently, to the Muslim Bros in Syria…

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Just heard it on Beck’s show. Amazing story. And as was said on the show, have we heard such a wonderful, heroic story from our dear leader?

Not only that, but the overall point of Romney’s story was great (and, btw, he never onced said the name of the former Navy Seal). And the leading story of getting into the wrong party was hilarious. :)

ptcamn on October 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Yeah , but which one do you think is the lesser evil?

the_nile on October 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

They’re both evil. That lesser evil stuff is nonsense.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Well, since the banhammer possibility has been invoked here, let me say that I am not badmouthing this mother. If she doesn’t want her son spoken about during this campaign, by Romney or Obama, that’s totally her right. My family lost one of own in Iraq in 2007, and they’d probably react similarly (most are Obama supporters, so I can’t honestly say they’d object the same way if it were him doing the talking. The truth is the truth, unfortunately).

That said, it saddens me that this seemed to be a genuine human moment for Romney trying to praise someone who has passed on that he knew, but that qualifies as him badmouthing Obama. Again, the mother wants to go that route, that’s her right.

It is what it is. Sorta like how campaign music is even cause for outrage now among musicians. Politics ain’t bringing us together, that’s for sure.

Not being sanctimonious here, I’m not above the fray either. It’s just makes me sad.

Hawkins1701 on October 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Hey Dante !
You hear Kucinich this afternoon ?
Right up your ally. Did ya proud.

Jabberwock on October 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Flora

The mother of a former Navy SEAL from Winchester killed in Libya said it is “very sad” that her son’s death was being used as political theater yesterday — and she agreed with President Obama’s controversial assessment that the latest round of deadly troubles in the region constitute “bumps in the road.”

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Did she ever explain what it is about Romney she doesn’t trust? Her son was a former Seal who was working private security for a company in that business. What did Romney have to do with this event other than mention he had met the guy at a party. Too bad she can’t blame the Won responsible for her son’s death.

Kissmygrits on October 10, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Maybe little Bammie let it be known that Glen’s death benefits might be in jeopardy?

Nothing is beneath this gang.

slickwillie2001 on October 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM

This woman is probably another DemocRat.

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Yeah, my first though, too. Seems to me, Mitt did his best not to politicize it, and has acted in a very responsible and considerate manner when asked not to mention again.

I’d think her son might have the same opinion as this woman’s husband.

IrishEyes on October 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Just heard it on Beck’s show. Amazing story. And as was said on the show, have we heard such a wonderful, heroic about our story about our servicemen and women from our dear leader? (that’s what I meant to say… though really, have we heard any uplifting story or anecdote from our dear leader in the last 4 years?)

ptcamn on October 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Let me help you out for a change.

Mom of Ex-Seal killed in Libya calls attack ‘a little bump in the road’

JPeterman on October 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Thank you.

Flora Duh on October 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Sorry, JP, just saw that you provided link.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Dante

So no, Romney didn’t call him a bump in the road.

xblade on October 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

the mother must get all her news from SNL.

GhoulAid on October 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Kick some evil butt for the Lord like you kicked it for us.

Limerick on October 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Looks like Barbara Doherty leans liberal saying “I don’t trust Romney”.

It’s a shame that she’s letting her own political leanings affect the truth of what happened. The fact is that obama and his inept security measures and utter disdain for the military put the ambassador in a situuation with hardly any security. To the point where the Seals had to go on their own to try to protect him.

The ambasssador never should’ve been in that situation in the first place, period.

Just look at Obama’s response to Libya and putting in the Muslim Brotherhood in Egpyt, and this mother is saying she doesn’t trust Romney?

DOesn’t make any sense.

I’m not so sure it’s really politicizing her son’s death either. It’s speaking the truth of more deaths of our troops to come due to obama’s incompetence.

By her logic we shouldn’t be talking about the ambassador’s death either b/c we’re politicizing it right?

LevinFan on October 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Mrs. Doherty has every right to make the request she did, no matter how she might have phrased it or what she included in her statement. Even if she didn’t mention Obama, this story will give the MSM a “Romney is an insensitive boor’ line to push right through to the Sunday morning shows.

What I am waiting to see is if the lady goes on the panel show circuit, as did Sheehan and the 9/11 Widows.

Liam on October 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I think Romney was sincere enough in sharing this.
But Repubs have always played loose with this stuff for political gain.
And imagine, if you can, this was a widow asking Obama not to share the story. You’d be in a fever laying into Obama….1000+ thread.
You often accuse Obama of not being patriotic enough because he doesn’t wrap himself up in the flag as much.
But maybe he sees the cheapness and exploitation in that routine.
I know I do.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Weapon transfer apparently, to the Muslim Bros in Syria…

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Nah, more nefarious than that.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

If you weren’t such a tragic case you’d be a funny one.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Report in that Romney has a new very touching story about meeting Big Bird.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 2:49 PM

They’re both 1%ers. Of course Big Bird pulls in more money than Romney, gives a lot less of it to charity and is federally subsidized to the tune of half a billion dollars.

gwelf on October 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I think Romney was sincere enough in sharing this.
But Repubs have always played loose with this stuff for political gain.
But maybe he sees the cheapness and exploitation in that routine.
I know I do.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Obama HATES America. nice try though.

GhoulAid on October 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM

They’re both evil. That lesser evil stuff is nonsense.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM

So what are you promoting? You dont think media would scrutinize a Romney presidency a bit harder?

the_nile on October 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Christien on October 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Regardless of how she did it, looks like she still said “I don’t trust Romney”.

Makes me question her intelligence and she looks exactly like Cindy Sheehan.

LevinFan on October 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Since the marine in question was from massachusetts there’s a 90% chance the mother is an extreme left-wing liberal democrat. Honestly, I don’t think she has much of a leg stand on, and her request is absolutely absurd. Whether she likes it or not, her son IS part of the political situation today. It is completely relevant, and Romney isn’t bad mouthing her son or her family at all. If the president had called her son a hero without any person story, she’d have said nothing, the fact is Romney’s story personalizes the man and makes him even more heroic.

WashingtonsWake on October 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM

A woman with half a brain would not have made those remarks.

No sympathy from me.

IlikedAUH2O on October 10, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Sometimes grieving parents say things that they later regret. Let’s wait and see, shall we?
Meanwhile, she deserves the sympathy and respect that any mother who has just lost a son deserves.

Time will tell.

Solaratov on October 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Liam on October 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

A while ago she already agreed with Obama’s “their deaths were just bumps in the road” statement. See links, above. All you need to know.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM

NO one shot back at the attackers. The guns were all empty.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Actually, they did shoot back. At the consulate and then at the “safe house”.
And, when the Marine extraction team got to the safe house, they shot back.

Solaratov on October 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

The empty guns were that of the Libyan locals, hired by the British corporation (Blue Mountain?) under contract to the US. Their guns were empty as required by the US. They were only there for appearance, so of course they fled immediately. I don’t blame them.

The Libyan government team that went in after the shooting began, accompanied by US service personnel, of course shot back. The SEALs that happened to be in the area of course shot back. There was a weapons store in one of the four (?) consulate buildings.

slickwillie2001 on October 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Let me help you out for a change.

Mom of Ex-Seal killed in Libya calls attack ‘a little bump in the road’

JPeterman on October 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Thank you.

Flora Duh on October 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Well, it’s no wonder she objected to Romney talking about it. I don’t know how anyone can dismiss that as a bump in the road. That’s…remarkable.

changer1701 on October 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Obama’s Arab ‘Spring’, which will destroy him, ironically, as it should.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM

One can but hope.

Solaratov on October 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Man…reading a few of these –
I hope Barbara Doherty has an unlisted #.
I guess some of you only support ‘some’ military families.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

So no, Romney didn’t call him a bump in the road.

xblade on October 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Neither did Obama:

“But I was pretty certain and continue to be pretty certain that there are going to be bumps in the road because, you know, in a lot of these places the one organizing principle has been Islam.”

I think it’s pretty obvious to anyone with even half a brain that Obama was not calling the victims of the attack bumps in the road.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Time will tell.

Solaratov on October 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Time has told:

She made her son’s death political when she agree with Obama on the “bumps in the road” statement.

Yes, she deserves sympathy.

No, she deserves no respect. A respectful mother shuts up and grieves or asks for questions on why what happened happend.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

agree = agreed

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I think Romney was sincere enough in sharing this.
But Repubs have always played loose with this stuff for political gain.
But maybe he sees the cheapness and exploitation in that routine.
I know I do.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

The same Obama campaign that’s comfortable making insinuations that a heartless Romney lets people die from cancer? Who push ads where Romney’s garbage man decry Romney’s heartlessness?

If Obama stopped including someone in his remarks after they requested it I’d give Obama credit for it. But lets not pretend like the Obama campaign is a straight-shootin, punching above the waist political operation.

gwelf on October 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Yeah , but which one do you think is the lesser evil?

the_nile on October 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

They’re both evil. That lesser evil stuff is nonsense.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM

The biggest nonsense though is you and your sorry little life…

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Actually, Romney did mention the SEAL by name. There are two different clips of him telling the story. The first clip from Townhall (where Romney is telling the story outdoors) does not have a mention of the name. The second clip, at the ABC News link above, does have Romney (in an indoor setting) mentioning Glen Doherty by name.

JenWestin on October 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Its too bad the mother isn’t smart enough to see through Obama,
although apparently she thinks she is smart enough to see through
Romney’s intentions.

All she had to do was quietly give the Romney campaign a heads up that she
would prefer Mitt not talking about her son.

Instead, she goes to the news media.

Amjean on October 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Regardless of how she did it, looks like she still said “I don’t trust Romney”.

Makes me question her intelligence and she looks exactly like Cindy Sheehan.

LevinFan on October 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM

This coming from a self-identified Levin fan.

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM

But Repubs have always played loose with this stuff for political gain.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Wanna bet sloJoe pulls out at least TWO of these stories at the debate tomorrow ?

Jabberwock on October 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM

If you weren’t such a tragic case you’d be a funny one.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Well, you are a funny one.
Though I know you strive for the tragic.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

It’s obvious to anyone with a smidgeon of a functioning brain that the mother agreed with Obama. What business, other than her son’s tragic death, did connect her with Obama’s statement? No need to answer.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

But maybe he sees the cheapness and exploitation in that routine.
I know I do.
verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

For my money, Obama getting her son killed and then trying to cover it up qualifies as “cheap exploitation”.

whatcat on October 10, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Neither did Obama:

Dante on October 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

It’s like you’re an Obama troll pretending to be something else…

the_nile on October 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I’m not going to harshly judge a grieving mother of a fallen hero.

It reflects well on Romney that he will respect her wishes.

gwelf on October 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I don’t, and you know it. I enjoy the ironic and the schadenfreudig. Life is tragi-comic though, to be sure. It’s never better than to observe the idiosyncracies of the world. Lots to observe of late.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Let me help you out for a change.

Mom of Ex-Seal killed in Libya calls attack ‘a little bump in the road’

JPeterman on October 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I’m sorry for the loss of her brave son, but she is an absolute moron.

She’s actually giving obama cover which could lead to the deaths of more Seals and ambassadors!

LevinFan on October 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Gov. Romney took a bunch of garbage for not mentioning the troops and now gets a bunch of garbage for mentioning this brave man. I realize that there were “only” three people Gov. Romney could have been talking about but if Mrs. Douherty hadn’t spoken up, few would have know who he was talking about. She should have contacted Gov. Romney privately. That said, I’m not sure how I would react to losing a child so like Ms. Sheehan, I would probably give this woman a pass.

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Obama HATES America. nice try though.

GhoulAid on October 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Uh…no…you do.
Why do you?
Please stop…ok?

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Looks like the Dems are determined to milk this for political gain, even after Romney promptly honored the mother’s wishes. So much for them supporting military families.

Christien on October 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I’m looking forward to the post-irony age.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Weapon transfer apparently, to the Muslim Bros in Syria…

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Nah, more nefarious than that.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM

What’s your theory? I always thought that it must have been something bigger and more dangerous than that too, (especially that the US has always been involved in weapon transfer to this or that entitty in different conflicts in tne ME or elsewhere, so you’d think they have experience with that), but most of what I read on the not so official channels, all analyses pointed out to a weapon transfer…you think unconventional stuff??

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Yep, she is a left wing lunatic…

mnjg on October 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Soryy for her loss. Bless her and her Family.. Too bad she had to make it Political

sandee on October 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Exactly, and if you bad-mouth her or question her motives, you’ll get deleted or banned. Have as much respect as the Romney camp has had for her. It’s a far better way to honor her son’s memory than lashing out at her because she happens to like Obama or not like Romney.

Mary Katharine Ham on October 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Can someone please explain this to me?

JPeterman on October 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Weapon transfer apparently, to the Muslim Bros in Syria…

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Nah, more nefarious than that.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Oh jayzus.
This is gonna be good.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Liam on October 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I saw after I posted. I’m taken aback by it, but remain content to wait to see what Mrs. Doherty does–if she stays off the air and otherwise out of the media spotlight.

Of course she is now way low in my estimation, but I won’t harp on it.

If the media use her comment, though she says nothing more herself, Obama’s heartless comment gets more notice that The King could do without.

I’m waiting to see how it plays out, because attention to this matter can only harm the MSM and Obama more than it does Romney and Ryan. And if she repeats the bump-in-the-road line on national TV, I can’t see her keeping much sympathy for very long. Sheehan and the 9/11 widows were enough.

Liam on October 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

if you click thru to the abc piece, you can see the milieu that takes hold among MA leftists.

one of the guys friends said that mitt introduced himself 4 times, and everyone laughed at him, and the guy had NO respect for Mitt

then later, another friend said it was twice, and Mitt laughed at his mistake, and the guy was always respectful of Mitt.

the left always uses dead people as props…leftists are low people. Karen Silkwood, Rachael Corzine, the steelworkers wife that mitt killed…these are the lowest of the low..they will use anyone, dead or alive, infants or the senile as props in their political theater

r keller on October 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

But maybe he sees the cheapness and exploitation in that routine.
I know I do.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Yes but then Obama can always fly into any base he wants for a whole slew of our bravest for a back drop while ignoring looming D.O.D. cuts. Damn Republicans.

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I’m looking forward to the post-irony age.

verbaluce on October 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM

My friend, just enjoy what’s left of it. It all amounts to little more than going out with some style, however to choose that to be. The demise is just slowed down by one side. Most all know it, but they are as delusional as your idealistic brethren. You’re saner than so many others. Btw, I have a good hunch about your background. Just keep it to yourself.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM

however to you choose

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:53 PM

This woman is the ONE who is politicizing her son’s death. Romney didn’t EVEN mention her son’s name. I feel sorry for this woman, but again she is quickly becoming the new Cindy Sheehan, See what she said previously:

Again my heart goes out to her, but she is the one POLITICIZING her son’s death.

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM