Obama to panicky Dems: Hey, the fundamentals of this race haven’t changed

posted at 6:41 pm on October 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

An artful bit of spin that’s both true and deceptive. The truth: The fundamentals really haven’t changed much. The deceptive part: O’s touting that as a good thing when in fact the fundamentals have always worked against him, not for him. That was the point of Sean Trende’s terrific piece yesterday at RCP, that Obama’s campaign strategy has been carefully crafted to counter the effects of electoral “gravity” — high unemployment, sluggish economic growth, and massive deficits, all fundamental to the quadrennial question of whether you’re better off now than you were four years ago. Trende’s thesis is that The One’s best/only way to neutralize “gravity” is to nurture a perception in the media and, by extension, in the electorate that victory is inevitable. The more Romney’s seen as a flailing loser, the fewer donations he’ll get, the more depressed the GOP base will be, and the less interested right-leaning undecideds will be in voting. That was the game plan as of last Wednesday, until Romney shattered it by destroying Obama at the debate. The fact that Mitt now looks like a plausible winner to the press is the one and only way in which the fundamentals really have changed, and that’s why you see O here desperate to recapture a sense of inevitability. The debate was just a blip, you see; the “fundamentals” will carry him inexorably on to victory. The more he can convince people that that lie is true, the greater the chance that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Lest you had any doubt about how nervous his team really is, though, here’s something tasty from The Hill. The One has but two pastimes, but that’s one too many given the new problems Romney’s debate triumph has created for his campaign:

President Obama will attend his last fundraiser of the 2012 campaign Thursday and then shift into top gear following his disastrous recent debate performance that vaporized his polling lead over challenger Mitt Romney.

With momentum in the race flipping to the Republican, sources have told The Hill the president will spend the rest of the campaign at swing-state rallies or preparing for the next two debates instead of attending more private fundraisers…

They acknowledge that they could be outspent, as Obama warned donors in July, but take comfort from their belief that they have a better get-out-the-vote operation in the swing states.

I don’t think he’s in panic mode yet, but if Biden goes “full Biden” tomorrow night and O craps the bed again at the upcoming town-hall debate, things may turn desperate. And that could mean … suspending the weekend golf game. If/when it happens, expect a Humpbot cameo. Exit question: He seems pretty excited here about the non-troversy over Romney’s abortion legislation comments yesterday. (Romney has since clarified them.) Who wants to be the one to tell him that his own VP once voted for a constitutional amendment to overturn Roe v. Wade?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Here’s what the economist Obama referenced in the debate had to say about the President’s words:

“I can’t tell exactly how the Obama campaign reached that
characterization of my work. It might be that they assume that Governor Romney wants to keep the taxes from the Affordable Care Act in place, despite the fact that the Governor has called for its complete repeal. The main conclusion of my study is that under plausible assumptions, a proposal along the lines suggested by Governor Romney can both be revenue neutral and keep the net tax burden on taxpayers with incomes above $200,000 about the same. That is, an increase in the tax burden on lower and middle income individuals is not required in order to make the overall plan revenue neutral.”
— Princeton economist Harvey Rosen

Washington Nearsider on October 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM

After a quick scan, I notice that Kunta Kinte has no FB comments in the headlines.

A great signal of impending victory if ever there was one.

beatcanvas on October 10, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Kunta Kinte who?

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Elizabeth Warren now weakly bringing up the Grover Norquist Strawman. Groan.

Del Dolemonte on October 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Hillarious if Barack Obama crashes the VP Debate just to quickly replace BIDEN before he goes on a GAFFE-ING SPREE.

Varchild on October 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM

No way.

Bambi doesn’t want anything to do with Ryan after the congressman took his lunch money the last time they faced off.

PackerBronco on October 10, 2012 at 7:45 PM

B. Republicans can see he’s all talk and doesnt plan on fighting for their causes.

Politricks

I and any Conservative would vote for a moldy blister pack of WalMart Raspberries before I’d let obama get another term.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 7:47 PM

PAGLIA: FORGET OBAMA, I’M GOING GREEN PARTY…

Bmore on October 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Politricks on October 10, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Do you write for the “Bad Lip Readers” people? Your post reads like one of their bits.

“Save a pretzel for the gas jets”.

waterytart on October 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Kunta Kinte who?

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Some of us suspect it to be liberal4life, if you remember that one.

Bmore on October 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM

…I see the camaraderie between JugEars and Sawyer…the crossed leg thing again!…doesn’t that guy ever sit like a man?

KOOLAID2 on October 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Del Dolemonte on October 10, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Thanks for updates.
Just now opened it on CSPAN.org, but it looks like it’s starting @ opening remarks.

pambi on October 10, 2012 at 7:54 PM

…. Or maybe closing remarks ! LOL.

pambi on October 10, 2012 at 7:55 PM

WOW !! Talk about a partisan crowd @ Brown/Warren debate !!
Del, how’d he do ??

pambi on October 10, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Sorry, Twink, America has had nearly four bad years under your failed governance.

onlineanalyst on October 10, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Obama to panicky Dems: Hey, the fundamentals of this race haven’t changed

Hmmm… Why does this remind me of something?

“The fundamentals of the economy are strong.”

- Senator John McCain, 15 September 2008, a statement that Time Magazine labeled one of the top 10 most “unfortunate” political one-liners of all time

Resist We Much on October 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Kunta Kinte who?

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Some of us suspect it to be liberal4life, if you remember that one.

Bmore on October 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I’ll go one further and say he’s politricks too. Formerly DeathToMediahacks who was banned for losing his temper and threatening another commenter.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM

name not Toby…

MrMoe on October 10, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Politricks on October 10, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I DARE Biden to call Romney a liar in his debate with Ryan tomorrow night.

I DOUBLE-DOG DARE Obama to call Romney a liar in their next debate.

I can assure you that Obama and Biden will be left to explain to the American people the NUMEROUS, BOLDFACED LIES they told about the murders of Ambassador Stevens and three other Americans, the lies they told to cover for Islamic terrorists, and the lies they told in order to blame an American — who I might add is currently being held without bail on a parole violation in solitary confinement in the Federal Metropolitan Detention Centre in Los Angeles at the behest of the Obama administration — for exercising his free speech rights.

So, go there.

Please.

Resist We Much on October 10, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Seven Percent Solution on October 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I think they got the translation wrong. It actually says. “Pantload™!” ; )

Bmore on October 10, 2012 at 6:59 PM

..I tell ya, I am really beginning to feel like Rodney Dangerfield here!

:-D

The War Planner on October 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM

if Biden goes “full Biden”

Dude. Funny.

jaime on October 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM

That’s right, I had forgot about that. Good call hawkdriver. ; )

Bmore on October 10, 2012 at 8:27 PM

..I tell ya, I am really beginning to feel like Rodney Dangerfield here!

:-D

The War Planner on October 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM

What do ya mean? The good looks. Lol!

Bmore on October 10, 2012 at 8:28 PM

President Obama will attend his last fundraiser of the 2012 campaign Thursday

That’s the only thing he does well.

GarandFan on October 10, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Kunta Kinte who?

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Some of us suspect it to be liberal4life, if you remember that one.

Bmore on October 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM

a dim troll suffering from multiple identity disorder, unheard of :)…what else they do other than assuming new identities/ monikers once they get banned….i do remember liberal4life distinctly…I always get their gender wrong, I don’t know how/why…

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 8:58 PM

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Are you really asking yourself why it’s so hard to determine their gender?

You made my night jim.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 9:01 PM

The fundamentals of this race have not changed and have always been very much against Obama whether from the reality on the ground ( bad economy, bad unemployment, insane debt, very high gas prices, very high food prices, insane deficit, Obamacare, his utterly failed record, etc…), and in term of the metrics of winning or losing because he has a much less energized democrat base in 2012 compared to 2008 combined with enough his 2008 “White Voters” who are going to switch to Romney in 2012 and hence causing Obama to lose this elections, badly…

The last debate was just the catalyst to make all the above a reality… However in Obama delusional world he really believes that he is winning…

mnjg on October 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM

The fact that Obama thought he won the debate tells me his A-game isn’t going to get any better.

John the Libertarian on October 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM

The fundamentals haven’t changed – it’s all about saving America from YOU, Barky.

disa on October 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM

btw, this is hilarious: Obama’s Debate Notes.

John the Libertarian on October 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Are you really asking yourself why it’s so hard to determine their gender?

You made my night jim.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Not really, it was a sarc re: the fictional/mixed/ multiple identities of these trolls :)..

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

As usual AP misses it. The fundamental to which The Dog Eater is referring is overwhelming left wing media bias. That hasn’t changed and won’t change and is a very powerful weapon.

Fortunately I don’t think it will be enough.

edshepp on October 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM

“Not tonight, Michelle, I’m losing my election.” – Barack Obama

PolarCoug on October 10, 2012 at 6:44 PM

LMAO! OMG! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Thread winner!

Electile Dysfunction

dont taze me bro on October 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

*pause* *snort* *choke*

……. HAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :)

maineconservative on October 10, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Obama to panicky Dems: Hey, the fundamentals of this race haven’t changed

Yeah, that’s right president Dumbo, your junior-high performance in the first debate, and your administration’s pathetic attempt to cover up the Benghazi debacle haven’t changed things one bit. Surely the U.S. presidency has not seen a bigger fool than Barack Hussein Obama.

minnesoter on October 10, 2012 at 9:22 PM

jimver on October 10, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I think some of them are confused themselves about that.

slickwillie2001 on October 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM

To Obama: STFU.

chai on October 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM

PAGLIA: FORGET OBAMA, I’M GOING GREEN PARTY…

Bmore on October 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I thought you were joking — but no, it’s true!

I have to say, I’ve always liked Camille Paglia because she’s so completely anti-”cool”. I don’t mean that she’s “uncool” in the passive sense of “not having the quality of ‘cool’” — I mean that she actively goes out and stomps on “cool” wherever she finds it. And I approve, because I hate “cool”. “Cool” is passionless, aloof, condescending, disengaged with life. “Cool” is our current Cool-Guy-In-Chief.

Camille Paglia has set out to be wholly herself in spite of fashion, and I really respect and admire that. Some of her political ideas are wrong-headed (naturally, since they’re not the same as mine — of course they’re wrong-headed! :-) ) but when she’s right, she’s spot-on.

I’m glad she’s going to vote Green. That’s one fewer vote for the aforementioned Cool-Guy-In-Chief, and if the Green Party on the East Coast is as lame as it is out here, I’ll look forward to seeing her torch them in print in a year or two. :-)

Mary in LA on October 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM

He’ll be camped out in Ohio……….and if he adds Pennsylvania to the list……uh oh fer him.

God reveal this man.

Amen.

PappyD61 on October 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM

John McCain said the same thing after Lehman Brothers went bankrupt in 2008, and what happened to him?

Steve Z on October 11, 2012 at 10:03 AM

You’re done, slick, you’re just not smart enough to know it. Pack up your ill-gotten gains, the train to Palookaville is at the station.

mojo on October 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Obama is going to be dizzy from travelling as more and more states are added to the ‘swing’ or ‘toss up’ category.

I guess Obama’s next debate performance will be explained away by jet lag.

Mitsouko on October 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM

“The fundamentals haven’t changed”

Agreed!
Romney’s an accomplished job-creator, problem solver, and wealth generator.

Obama’s a Dope(r)!

Another Drew on October 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM

The only thing Hillary had going for her 4 years ago was the perception of inevitability, which Obama shattered. What comes around goes around.

ardenenoch on October 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM