Obama on his debate performance: I suppose “I was just too polite”

posted at 3:21 pm on October 10, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Ah, yet another line of reasoning for the President to explain away the lack of vigor during his dismal debate performance: It wasn’t disdain for Mitt Romney, nor a lack of adequate preparation, nor even altitude sickness; perhaps he was just feeling a tad too genteel that day to even bother trying to go after Romney. Click to hear the audio from RCP:

Photobucket

“Well, two things. I mean, you know, the debate, I think it’s fair to say I was just too polite, because it’s hard to sometimes just keep on saying and what you’re saying isn’t true. It gets repetitive. The good news is, is that’s just the first one. Governor Romney put forward a whole bunch of stuff that either involved him running away from positions that he had taken or doubling down on things like Medicare vouchers that are going to hurt him long term. And, you know, I think it’s fair to say that we will see a little more activity at the next one,” President Obama said on this morning’s broadcast of Tom Joyner Morning Show on the radio.

I would think that the “bunch of stuff” from which Obama says Romney either ran away or doubled down would presumably mean that the debate gave the Obama campaign ample material for easily trumpeting the superiority of their candidate. …But that doesn’t quite explain the oh-so-hard-hitting attack on Mitt Romney for wanting to — gaspfire Big Bird, now does it?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

300 comments or bust

22044 on October 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Does that empty suit ever accept any responsibility for anything?

bayview on October 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM

“I’m just too darn nice sometimes!!”

whatcat on October 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM

When I talk to somebody or somebody talks to me I usually look at that person, Mr. President. Thats a question of manners. So no, you were not polite at all.

Valkyriepundit on October 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM

They still can’t stop talking about it…

tkyang99 on October 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Yeah, it is. It really is, isn’t it, Mr. President?

Caiwyn on October 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Too polite. He couldn’t say “I was too SCOAMFy”.

RSbrewer on October 10, 2012 at 3:26 PM

They still can’t stop talking about it…

tkyang99 on October 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Yup, to which I say: Go Team Downgrade, Go!

Chip on October 10, 2012 at 3:26 PM

The hot tub was poisoned.

And he knew it!

LoganSix on October 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Yeah, double down on petulant, Mr. President. That’ll be a sure fire winner.

newtopia on October 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I love how is response is that he couldn’t stand up to Romney because he is too polite. If he can’t stand up to some candidate how can anyone possibly trust that he would stand up to other world leaders?

lusir on October 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

The best thing about the debate is that little Bammie keeps talking about the debate.

slickwillie2001 on October 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Let’s hope he and his team actually believe this.

Robert_Paulson on October 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Obama wants his supporters to “argue with their neighbors,” and “get in their faces”…

…but in an actual debate, he chooses to be “polite.”

So, let everyone else do the heavy lifting, Champ?

VastRightWingConspirator on October 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Why doesn’t he just cut to the chase and boo hoo about the fact he sucked at the debate because TOTUS wasn’t allowed?!!!!

pilamaye on October 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

So he was being too polite when he lied about Romney wanting to raise taxes on the middle class?

Doughboy on October 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Guess you are right bho, I didn’t see the ‘middle finger on the face’ once during the debate!

I CAN not wait for the next debate! This just might have every house in America tuned in to see what bho will be up to?

HANG tough Mitt, get under bho’s thin skin again!
L

letget on October 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

What’s this, the sixth day of Obama’s self discovery voyage?

lorien1973 on October 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

It’s not the air in Denver that’s thin, it’s little Bammie’s resume.

slickwillie2001 on October 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

As stupid as Biden is, I think he’ll be a lot more energetic than Obama was last week, which will give him some points from the lsm – for effort if nothing else.

It will be funny though to hear the same excuses bandied about about Biden after Ryan waxes the floor with his azz.

catmman on October 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

“Governor Romney put forward a whole bunch of stuff

I would really like to see those academic transcripts.

INC on October 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

He’s always nice when the person is in front of him and can talk back.

RickB on October 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

What really happened at the debate.

Schadenfreude on October 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I suppose that your performance was a direct result of your having ridden the affirmative action, racism train all the way to the Oval Office, and your exhaustive Community Organizing preparation for the job.

You Commie buffoon.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Does that empty suit ever accept any responsibility for anything?

bayview on October 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM

He’s never had to before in life.

rbj on October 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

No . . . he was just too incompetent Biden is equally as incompetent but he’s much noisier.

rplat on October 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Obama is just like the punk in high school that gets his butt pounded and then waits until the guy walks away and says “that’s what I thought!”

He’s a petulant little beyatch that just can’t get enough ass kickings.

search4truth on October 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Oh please please please let him be arrogant and pushy at the next debate.

That will go over SO well/.

gophergirl on October 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Yeah. You get up there and call Romney a rich, lying sack of sh*t. See how that turns out for you.

Next debate:
O: He’s a liar, and Bain Capital!
R: Let me present my 56 point plan for lowering your taxes and getting the economy back on track.
O: Big Bird!
R: Oil permits on federal land are down X% in the Obama administration.
O: War on women!
R: 42 months of unemployment above 8% and we’re suddenly jumping up and down for a 7.8% rate.

etc etc.

John_Locke on October 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

No, it’s just that he thinks it’s all beneath him. After all, a God-King shouldn’t have to stand for re-election, let alone actually debate an opponent. Pfffft.

changer1701 on October 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

No, he is too self absorbed to listen to anyone but himself.

Patriot Vet on October 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I repeat: This is who Obama is. He has never been this brilliant intellect and keen policy analysts liberals have, in their BubbleWorld, dreamed him as.

…Ace of Spades.

Actually what happened was that Obama, who has made a career of defeating Straw Men, thought he was facing another Straw Man – The Scarecrow (Straw Man with no Brain.)

However, had he paid attention to the ads he’s been running he would have noticed that he’s been portraying Romney as being Without a Heart.

It was the Tin Man who had no Heart – but he did have a Brain.
The Tin Man was also Imune to Fire – the Primary Weapon against Straw Men.

jaydee_007 on October 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Who among us wasn’t watching and thinking of Obama, “What a polite young man…”?

I know that the more left you are the looser your grasp on reality, but this is seriously deluded.

I expect him to bring a stronger game in the next debate. But I also expect Romney to have a stronger game too.

Johnny 100 Pesos on October 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Does that empty suit ever accept any responsibility for anything?

bayview on October 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Don’t give a damn if he accepts responsibility, just beat him.

John_Locke on October 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Sure, you are going to win the Presidental debate by being less Presidental. You are doing Havard proud.

Oil Can on October 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Ooooh, the Tom Joyner Morning Show–the nations leading bastion of hard-hitting journalism. Good to know that he’s taking everything seriously.

PetecminMd on October 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I like it when they keep talking about the debate.

12 more news cycles..we can do it.

SparkPlug on October 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

What’s this, the sixth day of Obama’s self discovery voyage?
lorien1973 on October 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

More like “Excuse Of The Day”.

Coming next, combo excuses: it was politeness combined with the altitude.

whatcat on October 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Grasping and gasping. Drowning on dry land.

thatsafactjack on October 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

It’s party time, chumps.

Greek Fire on October 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Is this the 7th or 8th excuse?

Can you imagine the delight in waking up to a new President? I feel like I’ve been living through some kind of post-modern Grimm’s fairy tale nightmare for the last four years.

rrpjr on October 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Obama was faced with debating a white male. almost 4 years now have shown that he has no time for white males.

and then to go into a debate with a single bullet (the 47% thing) and then not getting to use it (that Katrina clip hitting on that very day was more than coincidence I think…just when I think the GOP is going to give up like they did in 2008, they surprise me).

Obama reminded me of Barney Fife (Andy wouldn’t let Barney keep a bullet in his gun…Axelrod is Obama’s Andy).

teejk on October 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM

“Governor Romney put forward a whole bunch of stuff”

I would really like to see those academic transcripts.

INC on October 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Here’s one for one of his Fall semesters -

Economic Theory – Incomplete
College English – D
Government Budgeting – F
Bowling – D
Principles of Western Imperialism – A [Honors]

OhEssYouCowboys on October 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Barry is just so darn polite– Romney’s a liar, a felon, a killer of a laid-off woman, a vulture capitalist, hater of the downtrodden… Yep, Barry sure is polite.

Slainte on October 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Look, Obama, I don’t like you but let me give you some friendly advice:

Move the f*** on, dude. So, you crapped on stage. Let it f**kin’ go. It’s sad. It looks sad. You look pathetic by whining about it. Move the f*** on. Ok, champ?

lorien1973 on October 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM

It’s not the air in Denver that’s thin, it’s little Bammie’s resume.

slickwillie2001 on October 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Not to mention (and God forgive me for mentioning it) his … skin–let me be clear, not the color of skin, just the thinness, which has no racial tones whatsoever except being that part of his body that has melanin which defines his color–but I haven’t looked into this thoroughly, perhaps thinness of skin is a racial trait. I’m not sure. Perhaps I’m being subconsciously insensitive when attached to the Jungs collective unconscious and I know this intuitively when I pounced on the skin thing…I…I…I

Axeman on October 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Is this the 7th or 8th excuse?

rrpjr on October 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Has he done the sun in his eyes, yet?

Axeman on October 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

“What happened at the debate? Everybody wants to know.”

Zero lost. All I need to know.

IrishEyes on October 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

They still can’t stop talking about it…

tkyang99 on October 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Good. Keep this in the minds of everyone until, oh, Nov.7th (the day after.)

IrishEyes on October 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I love how is response is that he couldn’t stand up to Romney because he is too polite. If he can’t stand up to some candidate how can anyone possibly trust that he would stand up to other world leaders, excepting our friends, of course?

lusir on October 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

FIFY.

IrishEyes on October 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM

INOW:

I’m a street hustler community organizer at heart. I like to let it fly. I like to whip out any one of my practiced accents depending on the crowd….. I’m a pleaser, doncha know!

It’s all about manipulation deliver your message to the crowd. I prefer adolescents and college students – or residents of deprived areas…. they really get into my schtick. But, you know, ah, ah, ah, it’s all about telling people what they want to hear. I’m good at that.

These formal debates are too confining for someone with my gifts, you know, the ones Joe so aptly described. Now, I can talk, man. I mean, I reaaaaallly talk some serious $hit. Joe knows that. He, he, he…. said so in the most complimentary of terms.

These debates are too stiff. Ya gotta be polite, and there isn’t any panty throwing or fainting allowed so I can look good and call for the paralegals to step in and save someone.

Anyway, next one will be better. Big Bird’s got my back.

Cody1991 on October 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

This is just too funny. An even funnier? People will buy it.

Unbelievable.

Bob's Kid on October 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Gee…Big Bird wouldn’t say Obama is ‘too polite’.

Obama Campaign is effectively holding Big Bird against its will and won’t take down that ad after being told to do so by Sesame Street.

Free Big Bird!

Vote Romney/Ryan 2012!

thatsafactjack on October 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Get really cranked up, BHO. That will make all the difference for ya.

Oink on October 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

When was the last time you ever heard a sitting President use this kind of professional explanation about anything? I mean… “a whole bunch of stuff”. Cripes, what POS.

HomeoftheBrave on October 10, 2012 at 3:45 PM

After the next debate Obama will be talking about Honey Boo Boo…

PatriotRider on October 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Like Barry said to Richard Wolff, the Newsweek reporter, as recounted by Wolff in his book, the Renegade : ” I actually believe in my bullsh!t”

bayview on October 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I looked up the word “polite” in Obama’s thesaurus, here is what I found:
Polite:
Meek
Timid
Lazy
Uninformed
Stupid

right2bright on October 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM

We’re one more debate away from a “That’s not fair! I’m telling Mommy!” moment from this idiot.

search4truth on October 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Greatest orator of our lifetime.

rogerb on October 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM

lorien1973 on October 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Dude, the October 2012 Spoil Child tour staring Barrack! Three night and three night only.

Oil Can on October 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM

What’s this, the sixth day of Obama’s self discovery voyage?

lorien1973 on October 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

He’s evolving on the debate issue.

Lost in Jersey on October 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Polite…Obama was too polite in the debate

Really

You lost Barry L O S T.
You were lazy and didn’t prepare and treated the debate as you were to good to be there. In your puffed up ego you thought it was above your paygrade to prepare and that whatever you said America would love you.

Reality bites doesn’t it Barry.

Gracelynn on October 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Hey, let’s add that excuse to the vault!

“uh, what um happened in Benghazi was that we were just too polite um ..”

“um, the reason why those shovel ready jobs weren’t shovel ready is um uh that uh we were just too polite…”

“that um uh downgrade of our credit rating was just a reflection of uh uh uh um how uh polite we are …”

“um uh uh um after the election I’ll have more um um flexibility but for now I um uh just have to be too polite …”

“um uh um um um …”

PackerBronco on October 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Projection is the liberal disease.

The Left projected onto Zero what they thought he was/should be.
They got the country to buy his empty lines.

America looked into the bag they bought and saw it was empty indeed.

The debate showed each man to be who he really is. Mitt was polite, but on target, had his facts, and showed that he truely has a vision for a better America.

Zero showed who he is: a thin-skinned, affirmative-action, petulant, pathetic excuse for a CinC.

IrishEyes on October 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I heard the cat got his tongue. Hence the obsession with the bi bird.

Bmore on October 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

At least he didn’t say “I suppose I was just too stupid.”

And what’s going on with O’s Approval Rating, especially with the Gallup tracker, today at +11!? Is it the unemployment numnber? A sympathetic reaction to his debate woes? To his Libya woes? Whatever, it seems the Romney campaign is NOT doing its job in pushing up O’s negatives.

And Romney needs to run NATIONAL advertising. The national mood and conversation is largely going to just overwrite pinpointed swing state ads. Use your ads to affect the national conversation, and let that trickle down into the swing states. The reverse won’t work. O knows that.

anotherJoe on October 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Sorry big bird. Or is it?

Bmore on October 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Cody1991 on October 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

You did a good job here – I kept hearing his voice in my head as I read that.

Now, I’ve got to get something to drive it out!

IrishEyes on October 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM

They still can’t stop talking about it…

tkyang99 on October 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM

This isn’t doing them any good. It’s proof that Romney/Ryan is inside their heads. In their efforts to best Romney, they are only going to come across a desperate.

This is going to bite ‘em in the butt.

Corporal Tunnel on October 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I can just see him now doing debate prep in front of a mirror, practicing impolite looks with which to punish Romney.

Christien on October 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM

“I was just too polite…”

That would make at least some sense if he were trying to explain away all of his foreign bowing and apologizing.

As to the debate you lost so badly, keep up with the novel new explanations, Mr. President.

There’s nothing the American people admire more than a loser who keeps making excuses.

Drained Brain on October 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM

There was a debate? How did it go?

TarheelBen on October 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I swear he choomed up to relax before the debate

unprepared, bull, he practiced and he lives the job
or at least used to appear to

how many pro teams just keep building up excuses for their shortcomings before the next game

you don’t win the arguement you lost

looks petty when you can your opponent a liar but can’t do it to his face and with facts to back it up

the veil has been lifted, mighty oz is brought back to earth

audiotom on October 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Obama on his debate performance: I suppose “I was just too polite stupid”

Fixed, champ

NoFanofLibs on October 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM

LOL. I, for one, am looking foward to seeing Obama doing his “angry black man” imitation again. Hope we get the full treatment, with phony ‘hood accent and all. Maybe we’ll get really lucky and he’ll even throw in a few touching anecdotes about all the racism he had to endure growing up on the mean streets of Honolulu.

AZCoyote on October 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Still talking about it? Just wait until Friday when bozo gets his.

jake49 on October 10, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Polite means coma in Austrian.

katy the mean old lady on October 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Cody1991 on October 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

You did a good job here – I kept hearing his voice in my head as I read that.

Now, I’ve got to get something to drive it out!

IrishEyes on October 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM

It’s becoming too easy. My friends worry. I worry.

Once Romney is elected I’m going into rehab. I know I need it. No interventions required. ;)

Cody1991 on October 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM

anotherJoe on October 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

More antics from the pollsters. I imagine the Obamamedia complex are juicing those numbers to prepare for their next narrative.

Corporal Tunnel on October 10, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Stuart Smaley Obama…yep, that’s him alright.

Wyznowski on October 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Another lame and stupid excuse by a stupid incompetent fool who can do nothing but lies and agitates the welfare queens and the other pareasites of the society… This man being President is an insult to our great nation…

mnjg on October 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM

AAAAAaaawwww……poor lil’ bammie is not happy with his participation trophy….he is gonna hold his breath until everyone admits he won the debate….

I think the foreign policy debate will be the EPIC public meltdown we all suspected this Marxist punk would have eventually . He cannot defend his own record as he is hardly even aware of what it is . He is not engaged and never has been . Romney can smell blood and will reduce Obysmal to rubble with a smile . Bring the curtain down on this clown .

DeweyWins on October 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM

You Commie buffoon.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Exactly…

mnjg on October 10, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Obama’s ego won’t allow him to let go of that debate until he’s convinced everyone believes he’s not his own reason for the failure. After all this time, I’m persuaded he is more trying to convince himself, and his media lapdogs are trying their best their level best to soothe and placate him.

Obama is like a spoiled kid who sees someone ahead in line get the last ice cream cone in the shop with sprinkles, and refuses to shut up unless mommy buys him two cones to make up for his loss.

Liam on October 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Obama on his debate performance: I suppose “I was just too polite”

You know, you’re right Mr. President….
..you should’ve worn an II Duce Cap to complete your look.

ToddPA on October 10, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I am pretty sure he is exactly right. Instead of politely standing there waiting and looking down at the podium and shuffling his feet while Romney finishes talking he needs to be more proactive. He needs to look Romney right in the eye and call him a liar to his face, not wait until the next day at some college pep rally to say it.

He will be golden when he defends that statement and shows where Romney is not telling the truth, using specific examples and math wherever possible.

Since we all know he is the smartest guy ever, that should be no problemo.

Lily on October 10, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Two “you knows” and that imbecilic phrase “a whole bunch” in less than 200 words. All he shows by this statement is how fundamentally lazy he is; he can hardly be bothered to come up with the specifics of what he says Romney lied about; just tosses out the same old shopworn, disproved crap. And then, of course, he has to tout his non-existent virtue of “politeness.”. This from the same man who has been mocking Romney since the debate ended.

Someone tell me again what exactly is likeable about this guy?

natasha333 on October 10, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Anyone find it funny this was pretty much the same excuse Newt used when Romney kicked his butt in the Florida debate?

tkyang99 on October 10, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Obligatory

Shy Guy on October 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM

. . . Because it’s hard sometimes just keep on saying and what you’re saying isn’t true.”

Well, we do know how much Obama loathes anything that is hard, work-wise that is.

natasha333 on October 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM

lusir on October 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

c’mon, you know he hasnt stood up to any world leaders so far. its bow and bow and bow some more

chasdal on October 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I guess the whole “Mitt Romney either lied or was faking it!” meme didn’t poll too well…

… did it, Pantload?

Seven Percent Solution on October 10, 2012 at 4:22 PM

So now he’s telegraphing his punches, that should make it easy for Mitt to step aside and then land some haymakers.

steel guy on October 10, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Remember when people thought Clint Eastwood was joking?

Good times.

DarthBrooks on October 10, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Ever since Kennedy kicked Mitt behind in their first debate, Mitt has been a bulldog in the debates.

He’s a nice guy, but absolutely a terror in the debates, he is relentless…so yeah, maybe Obama was too nice, but then Obama was too nice to Russia, Syria, Egypt, etc….

Sometime you just gotta be tough, and know when to be tough…a failing is being “nice” when you need to be tough.

I see the “nice” excuse as being weak leadership…imagine Eisenhower, on the eve of the war deciding to be “nice”…Imagine Reagan being “nice” and still having our hostages held another year…imagine Bush being nice and letting Kuwait fall.

Obama, a president needs to know when to be tough, when to be “soft”, land a long campaign exposes those weaknesses…and at the end of this campaign your weakness is being exposed.

right2bright on October 10, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Stupid is as stupid does.
Obama spoke stupidly.

“I was just too polite.”
Obama

I STILL HAVE ME SOME 5 SECONDS COMIN’! So STFU, Lehrer, ’cause I’m a ramblin’ man. My mouth just can’t stop jabberin’ when I’m on a roll like tonight! “Sweetie.”

Polite. Stupid. Words, just words. No definitions. Only bitter clingers hold to meaning. Even Obama’s staff was shocked to realize that Obama had no idea just HOW BADLY he “performed”.

maverick muse on October 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Obama is tough…the next day, on a stage a hundred miles from Mitt..

right2bright on October 10, 2012 at 4:25 PM

This is about the stupidest tack for Obama to take. By going around telling all his supporters he lost by being “too polite” to Romney, he raises their expectations for a hard-hitting take-down next time.

BUT the next debate is a townhall format. It’s hard to be too tough on the opponent when you are addressing voters’ direct questions. If he comes over too aggressive, he will appear desperate and risk losing the edge in “likability” he still enjoys.

Adjoran on October 10, 2012 at 4:25 PM

But…. But…. Bill O’Reilly told us last night that 0bama was just distracted by his anniversary or something.

UltimateBob on October 10, 2012 at 4:26 PM