Exciting new Obama talking point: There’s only one candidate in this race who’ll fight for Big Bird and Elmo

posted at 9:21 pm on October 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

As prominent Democrat Dick Harpootlian put it, “Big Bird is iconic. He — or it — she — I don’t know what it is — is an icon with a whole generation or two of Americans.” Well said. If Mitt Romney won’t stand up for giant muppets, who will he stand up for?

If we’re destined for heartbreak on election night, my friends, let these words be our solace:

A lawyer for Sesame Workshop has requested that the campaign take down the spot, which was slated to run on national cable outlets.

“We have received that request,” [Obama spokesman Jen] Psaki told reporters on Tuesday. “We’re reviewing it. I will say it doesn’t change the fact that there’s only one candidate in this race who is going to continue to fight for Big Bird and Elmo, and he is riding on this plane” — a reference to Obama.

There is, in fact, a point to this post besides pointing and laughing at Team Hopenchange’s embarrassing juvenilia. Part of the spin from lefty critics of the Big Bird ad is that it’s out of character for the campaign. That’s not really true, though, as I tried to explain yesterday. There’s nothing unusual about Team O trying to jumpstart a national change of subject by focusing on a triviality. What’s unusual about the ad is that they’re resorting to triviality in the wake of a sharp change in momentum against them. Sean Trende captured the vibe in a piece that appeared just a few hours before the ad dropped: “Something like the ‘cancer ad’ from August looks hard-hitting from a campaign that is leading (and I certainly include candidate super PACs as part of the ‘campaign’), but would probably be described as ‘desperate’ from one that is losing.” Indeed. More from Tim Carney:

Distraction has been Obama’s re-election strategy all along. Highlighting Romney gaffes, peddling empty symbols, running on picayune policies — in this way, Obama hoped he could run out the clock until November 6…

The “kill Big Bird” line is standard Obama fare. Because Romney thinks employers should be allowed to pay employees in cash instead of contraception, Obama and allies accuse him of trying to take away women’s contraception. Because Romney wants to cut Planned Parenthood’s federal subsidies, Obama says Romney is waging war against the abortion provider.

So it’s not new that Obama is being unserious. He’s been running a Big Bird campaign all along. It’s just new that everyone is noticing.

Yep. Without that debate thrashing and the growing scandal over Benghazi, we’d be knee deep this week in cable news segments about whether Obama doesn’t have a point in suggesting that Mitt Romney kinda sorta hates children’s TV (and of course, children). As it is, even the media feels ridiculous pushing that talking point right now. In Noah Rothman’s phrase, they’ve stopped filling in the blanks for Obama — for the moment. Watch this fluff piece from MSNBC this morning (via Mediaite) to see what I mean. In an alternate universe, where Obama won the debate and there’s nothing happening in Libya, this wouldn’t be an interview about a Sesame Street special. It’d be an interview about whether the mean man from Massachusetts bwoke Elmo’s widdle heart by suggesting that maybe he and PBS don’t need taxpayer subsidies unto eternity.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m thankful that ‘Friends’ isn’t a prime time hit anymore. If it was, the next big Obama ad would accuse Romney of trying to come between Ross and Rachel. Yes, I’m serious.

joejm65 on October 10, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Weren’t Ross and Rachel brother and sister?

JohnGalt23 on October 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Not one of the three legacy media networks led tonight with the Benghazi cover up…we are living in strange times.

d1carter on October 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Indeed. And ABC has a perfect opportunity to redeem themselves (somewhat) since their reporter is telling all!

kcd on October 10, 2012 at 10:09 PM

lol, nope. Bish owns first comment.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 10:03 PM

You’re too modest. I stand by my comment.

massrighty on October 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM

This

redridinghood on October 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Lanceman on October 10, 2012 at 10:03 PM

ah gotcha now, I went and reread and finally got what you were saying and yup I agree. Long day!

maineconservative on October 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Quite apparent we need to shift the 450-million from big bird to embassy security around the world.

RADIOONE on October 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Good news for the Obama campaign. Thanks to his strong stance on Big Bird the president is up in the polls among voters ages 3-6 years old.

iceman1960 on October 10, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Weren’t Ross and Rachel brother and sister?

JohnGalt23 on October 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Ashamed to know this, Monica was his sister.

msupertas on October 10, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Weren’t Ross and Rachel brother and sister?

JohnGalt23 on October 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM

No, that was Ross and Monica.

italianguy626 on October 10, 2012 at 10:16 PM

So hold it. There was no gutmeandpokeme on the FOX poll thread. WTF???

Lanceman on October 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM

i think it is actually remarkable how hard left the media is. Obviously, they have been ‘liberal’ for decades….but i started noticing that a lot of them were starting to dislike Clinton…from the left.

so now it is much clearer, they are leftists similar to the Guardian and Le Monde, getting their feeds from Mother Jones, American Prospect etc.

r keller on October 10, 2012 at 10:23 PM

So hold it. There was no gutmeandpokeme on the FOX poll thread. WTF???

Lanceman on October 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Someone call it’s mother. Have her venture down into the basement to check on it, if she can get past all the big bird and elmo dolls.

msupertas on October 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I’ve got a better song for Will I Am to sing to Obama.
It’s by the Ramones:

“I Wanna Be Sedated”

Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go I wanna be sedated
Nothin’ to do and no where to go-o-oh I wanna be sedated
Just get me to the airport put me on a plane
Hurry hurry hurry before I go insane
I can’t control my fingers I can’t control my brain
Oh no no no no no
Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go….
Just put me in a wheelchair, get me on a plane
Hurry hurry hurry before I go insane
I can’t control my fingers I can’t control my brain
Oh no no no no no
Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go I wanna be sedated
Nothin’ to do and no where to go-o-o I wanna be sedated
Just put me in a wheelchair get me to the show
Hurry hurry hurry before I go loco
I can’t control my fingers I can’t control my toes
Oh no no no no no
Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go…
Just put me in a wheelchair…
Ba-ba-bamp-ba ba-ba-ba-bamp-ba I wanna be sedated
Ba-ba-bamp-ba ba-ba-ba-bamp-ba I wanna be sedated
Ba-ba-bamp-ba ba-ba-ba-bamp-ba I wanna be sedated
Ba-ba-bamp-ba ba-ba-ba-bamp-ba I wanna be sedated

MichaelGabriel on October 10, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Lanceman on October 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I have been meaning to mention that to you. Maybe later on QOTD. ; )

Bmore on October 10, 2012 at 10:37 PM

So hold it. There was no gutmeandpokeme on the FOX poll thread. WTF???

Lanceman on October 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM

It’s on suicide watch.

JPeterman on October 10, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Thanks massrighty. You too bro.

hawkdriver on October 10, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Is Big Bird sexually active?

Electrongod on October 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Barney Frank…you wanna answer that ?

burrata on October 10, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I honestly don’t get this big bird thing. In the age of netflix, Apple TV and 200 cable channels, this is what is important on T.V.? PBS is lame.

I’m glad that there is nothing important going on in our country or the world that is worthy of discussion. Good Job, Preezy!

cep on October 10, 2012 at 10:41 PM

If this election is won because of this bird the nation deserves what it will get.

docflash on October 10, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Yes sir. gutmeandpokeme…

Lanceman on October 10, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Is Big Bird sexually active?

Electrongod on October 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM

…JugEars has been having that wierd smile lately!

KOOLAID2 on October 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Ernie checks in

Taxpayer funded PBS video from the 1980s.

Del Dolemonte on October 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM

In the 2008 campaign Obama said of John McCain, “when you don’t want to run on your record, you make the campaign about small issues.

Engrpat on October 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM

KOOLAID2 on ,October 10, 2012 at 9:48 PM

12 mile & Woodward.

Lanceman on October 10, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I’m jumping into this late – I grew up near 7 Mile and Greenfield, same house until my folks moved out to Farmington while I was away at college in 1975. Seven corporate transfers later, I’m down in Franklin, Tn., but still lots of family left up in Oakland County.

PatMac on October 10, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Big Bird, Oscar, Elmo, and all the rest are all 1 percenters.
Time to leave Uncle Sam’s cozy nest and go live on your own.
Shoot – they’re all over 26 so they don’t even qualify to stay on mom & dad’s health insurance anymore – even under obummercare rules….

dentarthurdent on October 10, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Obama campaign is tripling and quadrupling down on the Big Bird ad. I just saw it and I live in Texas.

Just think about it for a moment. They really, truly think they have a game changer here. They spent money to air the ad in Texas.

So no matter that Sesame Street has asked them to stop. Noooooo. This is the issue that is going to win them the election and they will be damned if they let it go for any reason.

I am beginning to believe the notion that they don’t actually want to win this thing.

Texene on October 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I hope big bird and obama ride off into the sunset together unsupported by our tax dollars. Those who want to fund obama and big bird are…… I just can ‘t say it

Delsa on October 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Delsa on October 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Funny you should say it that way !

pambi on October 11, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Tomorrow’s RNC ad: “Romney threatens cut funding for Big Bird’s contraceptives.”

Don L on October 11, 2012 at 3:02 AM

go ahead and keep planting your flag there, Team O…..i’m sure that’s a huge voting bloc and a winning issue this year.

ted c on October 11, 2012 at 6:30 AM

that’s money!

ted c on October 11, 2012 at 6:31 AM

yep, everything has to be kept in context doesn’t it?

ted c on October 11, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Is Big Bird sexually active?

Electrongod on October 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Dems have been nailing him for a week.

ted c on October 11, 2012 at 6:33 AM

I liked a post yesterday by someone ‘ Romney runs main street and Obama sesame street’

CW on October 11, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Are they really so dense as to think the Sesame Street will fail without government funds? Seriously? It’s not like they’re in the solar power business.

scalleywag on October 11, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Delsa on October 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Funny you should say it that way !

pambi on October 11, 2012 at 1:15 AM

heh

Big Bird: I’m voting for Romney.

hawkdriver on October 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM

At the end of fiscal 2011, Sesame Workshop and its subsidiaries had total assets of $289 million. About $29 million was held in cash and “cash equivalents,” mainly money-market mutual funds. Another $121 million on the balance sheet was held in “investments.” According to the accompanying notes, these investments included stakes in hedge funds and private-equity funds. It’s unclear from the financial statements if Big Bird has ever invested in funds run by Bain Capital, founded by Mitt Romney, but no doubt Sesame would be welcomed as a client by many investment managers.

So Big Bird likes to maximize revenues and investment gains as much as the next muppet. And now the President has made this adorable critter the symbol of federal programs that allegedly require eternal taxpayer aid, even if it has to be put on the future tax bill of today’s pre-schoolers. Is that funny?

The Wall Street Journal Oct. 10 2012