Good news: Hugo Chavez wins Venezuela’s presidential election. Again.

posted at 4:01 pm on October 8, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

By now, you’ve probably heard that Hugo Chavez has secured his third six-year term as Venezuela’s president (but not before sending tanks out into the street on Sunday when it looked like things might be going badly), although notably, it looks like it was by his slimmest margin yet.

With a turnout of 81 percent, Chavez only got 551,902 more votes this time around than he did six years ago, while the opposition boosted its tally by about 2.1 million. Chavez appeared to acknowledge the opposition’s growing clout during a boisterous victory speech late Sunday night.

“I extend from here my recognition of all who voted against us, recognition of their democratic weight,” he told thousands of cheering supporters from a balcony of the presidential palace after midnight.

Capriles, a former state governor, had accused the flamboyant incumbent of unfairly using Venezuela’s oil wealth to finance his campaign as well as flaunting his near-total control of state institutions.

Still, he accepted defeat as Chavez swept to a 10-point victory margin. The former army paratroop commander won nearly 55 percent of the vote against 45 percent for Capriles with more than 95 percent of the vote counted.

According to exit polling, however, the results seem more than a little dubious, and not everyone is convinced that it was really a “free and fair” election.

The world may never know — but hey, at least Chavez vowed to continue keeping Venezuela’s nose to the grindstone of Bolivarian socialism, right? There’s that, I guess.

“Truthfully, this has been the perfect battle, a democratic battle,” Chávez told the euphoric crowd outside the Miraflores palace. “Venezuela will continue along the path of democratic and Bolivarian socialism of the 21st century.”

The White House was okay with it, seeing as how President Obama’s “main concern” for Venezuela of hosting “free and fair” elections was at least apparently satisfied, via Politico:

White House press secretary Jay Carney congratulated the Venezuelan people on their recent election, despite exit polls showing the opposition to President Hugo Chavez winning.

Carney, speaking to reporters traveling with President Obama on Air Force One, added that the U.S. has its differences with Chavez.

Of course, circling rumors about the real state of Chavez’s health and cancer concerns mean that he may not even live to serve out his entire third term, but until such a time, the corruption, abuse, and vigorous anti-American sentiment typical of Chavez’s reign so far are sure to keep on keepin’ on. Goody.

Comments

I can’t wait for Obama and my liberal friends to point out “how much other country’s love us” with this result…

Chavez has endorsed Bambi. Make them wear that scarlett letter.

Odie1941 on October 8, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Barack Hussein Obama is going to be reelected.

You all do know that — right?

FlatFoot on October 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM

“We’re always concerned about Iran engaging in destabilizing activity around the globe,” Obama told a TV host. “But overall my sense is that what Mr. Chávez has done over the last several years has not had a serious national security impact on us. We have to be vigilant. My main concern when it comes to Venezuela is having the Venezuelan people have a voice in their affairs, and that you end up ultimately having fair and free elections, which we don’t always see.”

hahah.. lol… haha..

To which Romney rightly states:

“This is a stunning and shocking comment by the President. It is disturbing to see him downplaying the threat posed to U.S. interests by a regime that openly wishes us ill. Hugo Chavez has provided safe haven to drug kingpins, encouraged regional terrorist organizations that threaten our allies like Colombia, has strengthened military ties with Iran and helped it evade sanctions, and has allowed a Hezbollah presence within his country’s borders. And he is seeking to lead – together with the Castros – a destabilizing, anti-democratic, and anti-American ‘Bolivarian Revolution’ across Latin America. President Obama’s remarks continue a pattern of weakness in his foreign policy, one that has emboldened adversaries and diminished U.S. influence in every region of the world. As president, I will speak clearly and resolutely on the challenges we face so that both our allies and our adversaries will know where we stand.”

gatorboy on October 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM

One can only hope.

Jackalope on October 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I bet Obama was the first to congratulate him in his victory

jaywemm on October 8, 2012 at 4:07 PM

OT: Jake Tapper ‏@jaketapper

Pew from Sept had Obama up 51-43 with likely voters. Now Romney 49-45. Then: Obama +18 with women. Now: tied.

hillsoftx on October 8, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I bet Obama was the first to congratulate him in his victory

jaywemm on October 8, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Wrong.

Sean Penn was first — because he’s there in Venezuela sitting on Hugo’s lap sharing in their victory.

Obama was second.

FlatFoot on October 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Did Jimmy Carter give this election his seal of approval? That’s what really matters. Like last time.

besser tot als rot on October 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Why is Jummah ” hamas” Carter not being send to investigate this election ? He has being doing it around the world for a long time, why not in Venezuela ?

burrata on October 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Hugo stole the last election, so why should this one be any different? Happily we live in America, where this could never happen.

Right?

MTF on October 8, 2012 at 4:12 PM

continue along the path of democratic and Bolivarian socialism

Um, Socialism and Democracy can’t really coexist. Sorry guys. It might work in theory, but never can work in practice.

Mohonri on October 8, 2012 at 4:12 PM

chavez had about as much as chance of a loss and putin did on his election, ZERO!

Lets not let bho do the same here, please!
L

letget on October 8, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Stupidity is really indignant, the world over.

Schadenfreude on October 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I have seen pictures of tanks in the streets, reports of government workers (the nations biggest ‘workforce’) getting a 30% bonus last month and of pensions and other government programs being liberally applied across the country in the weeks leading up to the ‘vote’..I have also read how the result’ is at odds with the exit polls so, I figure, wouldn’t Obama love to have such a fine system for his election?

JIMV on October 8, 2012 at 4:17 PM

OT: Jake Tapper ‏@jaketapper

hillsoftx on October 8, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I think I just read over at Ace that it uses a R+3 sample. If so, that’s likely underselling the Dems by a little(I never thought I’d be using that phrase). But it’s still a remarkable collapse among women voters. That means the debate performance by Mitt undercut all of those negative ads from the Obama campaign.

Doughboy on October 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I have ZERO sympathy for the Venezuelan people. They let him have unlimited power, now they will have to sleep with the bed they made.

BigGator5 on October 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Haha this election was so riddled with fraud it’s not even funny. Chavez would have lost if the election was “fair.”

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 8, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I have ZERO sympathy

That goes for voters in CA, NY, and any other d controlled state! You made your bed by golly YOU deal and I DO NOT want to hear about the high taxes or gas prices!
L

letget on October 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Has his opponent been put on trial or jailed yet?

JPeterman on October 8, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Death.

Bmore on October 8, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Carney, speaking to reporters traveling with President Obama on Air Force One, added that the U.S. has its differences with 0bama envies Chavez.

Fixed.

0bama wishes he could rig our elections the way Chavez rigged his country’s.

UltimateBob on October 8, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I bet Obama was the first to congratulate him in his victory

jaywemm on October 8, 2012 at 4:07 PM

and that was last week :O

burrata on October 8, 2012 at 4:26 PM

L

letget on October 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM

That blanket statement makes all us conservative CA voters feel all warm and fuzzy.

Thanks for the encouraging words champ.

NapaConservative on October 8, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Obama and Hillary cannot allow a Venezuelan Spring to dethrone this dictator.

Christien on October 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM

The Venezuelan press didn’t say that 20% of the people voted at gunpoint.

Hurricane Hugo veered south and struck Venezuela…for the third time.

Ya know, if we drilled offshore and built the Keystone XL pipeline, we wouldn’t need Hugo’s oil, and its price would drop, and then other candidates might have a chance in Venezuela.

President Obama will fly to Caracas and bow and kiss Chavez’ hand in 3…2…1…

Steve Z on October 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I wondered where ACORN was this month.

faraway on October 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM

…will JugEars get a new Chavez poster for his bedroom now?

KOOLAID2 on October 8, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I wonder who supervises elections there…I didn’t think that any populace could be more stupid than ours!

cajunpatriot on October 8, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I wondered where ACORN was this month.

faraway on October 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I get your “drift”, but I doubt he needed them any more than Putin or Saddam Hussein in his last election.

listens2glenn on October 8, 2012 at 4:34 PM

NapaConservative on October 8, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Then move to Florida. You are fighting a losing battle my friend. You can do actual good here in the Sunshine State.

Besides, we have no state income tax.

BigGator5 on October 8, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I am so sick of this blowhard.

Amjean on October 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM

OT: Jake Tapper ‏@jaketapper

hillsoftx on October 8, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Which brings the RCP average down to Obama +0.5%, with the only national polls showing Obama ahead taken BEFORE the debate. Gallup and Rasmussen are both tied.

Can’t wait to see what happens after Paul Ryan takes Slow-Joe Biden to the woodshed this week. Biden had trouble with Sarah Palin in 2008, and Ryan is a much better debater than Palin.

Steve Z on October 8, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I have ZERO sympathy

L

letget on October 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Hey a-hole, go eff yourself

There are a lot og good people here in California.

You and your type sicken me. I hope you eat shite and die.

pseudonominus on October 8, 2012 at 4:41 PM

This fraudulent election smells.

Like sulfur.

Christien on October 8, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Thanks for the encouraging words champ.

I am sorry, I do apologize. My post, not well stated, was for the d’s not the r’s in those states. It is NOT your fault your state goes to the d’s and not r’s. I know you and those like you want things changed and you do your best with your vote, but you are out numbered.
L

letget on October 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM

listens2glenn on October 8, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Training, my good man. Training. :)

faraway on October 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM

gatorboy on October 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Thanks !
I’d seen that Zero had made a statement, but not Mitt’s.
Good on him !

pambi on October 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Good, shut down the paper. Save trees.

bayview on October 8, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Besides, we have no state income tax.

BigGator5 on October 8, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Do you really think it’s that simple? Just pick up and move at will? There are a lot of variables that make such a move very hard to accomplish. I have nothing against FL, spent many great vacations there with and without kids.

It might be a losing battle but someone has to fight it. It’s bad enough to be sh!t upon by all the loony libs here in CA. We really don’t need to be sh!t upon by our fellow conservatives as well.

Why don’t all of you grand warriors move over here and help us even out the political demographics here in CA so we can all fight the good fight, instead of just harping on us from behind your keyboards.

NapaConservative on October 8, 2012 at 4:46 PM

pseudonominus on October 8, 2012 at 4:41 PM

A bit trigger-happy, there, my friend.
Don’t miss…. letget on October 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Mmkay ??

pambi on October 8, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Not that there wasn’t manipulation (among many tactics, for weeks Chavez was implying to the population that he would know who voted whom), but there were still too many people supporting him.

It is sad to see a country vote itself “democratically” into a dictatorship.

ptcamn on October 8, 2012 at 4:47 PM

L

letget on October 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Your apology is accepted ledget, we’re all frustrated and want an end to this douchebaggery that CA has become.

NapaConservative on October 8, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Ms. Johnsen,

I find your reaction puzzling and it seems like the result here calls for something a bit stronger than:

…the results seem more than a little dubious…

I would be completely unwilling to add my name to any article that even hinted at the legitimacy of this election. I wonder if this is the kind of critical analysis that you felt was applicable to voting in Cuba or Saddam Hussein’s Iraq. Please explain how otherwise intelligent people watch the behavior of this Marxist Dictator and appear virtually incapable of seeing more than a hint of impropriety. I honestly don’t get it.

What do you gain by pretending that ANY election in a country that is in the grip of a mentally questionable strongman is legit? Is this more pseudo-intellectual “chin pulling” (thanks to MM for the apt descriptor) that is part of an attempt to seem reasonable and acceptable? Or worse yet, do you genuinely lack the disgust and anger that naturally fills every RED WHITE AND BLUE blooded American over this continuing tragedy?

Mormon Doc on October 8, 2012 at 4:48 PM

A bit trigger-happy, there, my friend.
Don’t miss…. letget on October 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Mmkay ??

pambi on October 8, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Okay, I no longer wish him a death by sexual misadventure.

But I do still want him to ingest fecal matter.

pseudonominus on October 8, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Was there ever any doubt?

bw222 on October 8, 2012 at 4:51 PM

pseudonominus on October 8, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I AM A WOMAN, NOT A him! Your post was the most hateful one anyone has ever said about me on ANY blog I post on!

Bless your heart!
L

letget on October 8, 2012 at 4:55 PM

After Clinton and Obama supported the Chavez-backed coup by Zelaya failed in Honduras, they must deem this quite the victory for SmartPower.

Christien on October 8, 2012 at 4:55 PM

L

letget on October 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM

ROTFLMAO… Yes, we out here in California did get ourselves into this pickle. We let 15 million legal US citizens from the other 57 States move here and bring their Marxist Democrat ways with them. What the hell were we thinking???

OK, enough of the sarcastic humor, just remember California is 1/6th of the entire US economy. The Ports of Los Angeles, Long Beach and Oakland are respectively the 1st 2nd and 5th busiest Ports in America. some of you may finding it surprising to discover that California is the 3rd largest oil producing state in the United States, and would probably be the number 1 oil producing state if it weren’t for the phucking Marxist enviro-nazi’s.

OK, I do have to admit, it’s also the home of Hollywierd and San Fransicko… (Yes, as a Californian lots of people tell me I am evil for praying for the Big One so that San Fransicko will finally move up to Oregon where it belongs) But hey, nobody’s perfect right?

There are fifty-eight counties located in California, eight of which are in the 100 richest counties in the country.

Taxes

In 2006 California’s overall state-level tax burden of $10.96 per $100 of personal income was slightly above the $10.74 average for the United States.[28] In 2008, when measured as a percentage of GDP, California had the 6th highest tax burden of the fifty states and has contributed on average well over 3.65 billion dollars per year for the last twenty years into the federal treasury than it has received in Federal services in return.[29] [30]

If California goes to hell, believe me when I tell you this… We are taking all of you with us…

SWalker on October 8, 2012 at 5:39 PM

What was your first clue?

squint on October 8, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Karl Marx doesn’t give up easy. Good reason to double our efforts here.

Its up to cancer now.

Speakup on October 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I knew it. I was just joking when I said Obama would congratulate Chavez and there’s jay carney congratulating him. The ties that bind……..

jaywemm on October 8, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Hmmmm, the world just doesn’t seem to be improving these days.

Cleombrotus on October 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Stuff like this is why advanced alien civilizations don’t actually land and contact us.

We are the Detroit of the Milky Way Galaxy.

trigon on October 8, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Hmmmmmm…..yeah……uh huh…..okay…..why do I feel this is BS? 54%???? W saw that people were standing in lines waaaaaaaayyyyyy down the street to vote….and it was NOT for Chavez. Hmmmmmm…jus sayin.
OT: My daughter was back in NYC this past weekend visiting friends and she posted on FB that NYC no longer serves alcohol before noon on SUNDAY! Oh….the horror! :) Wonder what happened?

sicoit on October 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I been to Venezuela and I’m not surprised.

Their country doesn’t look to have a very bright future, but then again, neither does ours.

V-rod on October 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM