RFID chips for Texas students

posted at 6:31 pm on October 7, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Is this a story of the nanny state gone (further) awry, a community ensuring the safety of at risk children, or just a group of bureaucrats trying to glam onto some extra cash? The San Antonio Times brings us the story of a school district which will begin “tracking” students in middle and high school using RFID chips. What could possibly go wrong?

Northside Independent School District plans to track students next year on two of its campuses using technology implanted in their student identification cards in a trial that could eventually include all 112 of its schools and all of its nearly 100,000 students…

Northside, the largest school district in Bexar County, plans to modify the ID cards next year for all students attending John Jay High School, Anson Jones Middle School and all special education students who ride district buses. That will add up to about 6,290 students.

Sounds positively Orwellian, doesn’t it? In fact, that’s precisely one of the words which Lee DeCovnick uses at The American Thinker to describe this new intrusion into American privacy.

Farmers currently use chips to track cattle and hogs. RFID is also commonly used for tracking store retail inventories and monitoring vehicle access to gated properties. Now that we have the technology, we’re “chipping” our children for money and their supposed safety? Orwell and Huxley must be outraged that their warnings have gone so unheeded.

DeCovnick is additionally concerned because these aren’t the old school, passive RFID tags which have to be pulsed by a transmitter to give up their data. These newer models have batteries installed and actually transmit data which could, in theory, be picked up by strangers, predators, etc. It’s a valid point. But if they are closely monitoring who has access to the data and they’re going to be tracking the kids only to make sure that evil persons don’t carry them away, then…

Oh, wait.

District officials said the Radio Frequency Identification System (RFID) tags would improve safety by allowing them to locate students — and count them more accurately at the beginning of the school day to help offset cuts in state funding, which is partly based on attendance.

Okay… so they’re installing the system to qualify for a system whereby – if they can show how many students are showing up for school and how many are riding the bus – the district will take in a big additional chunk of state funds. (Far more than the cost of implementing and running the not inexpensive tracking system.) But as long as they’re improving safety by monitoring the movements of the children and could follow the perps if they are abducted too, then at least some good will still…

Oh wait. Again.

Chip readers on campuses and on school buses can detect a student’s location but can’t track them once they leave school property. Only authorized administrative officials will have access to the information, Gonzalez said.

“This way we can see if a student is at the nurse’s office or elsewhere on campus, when they normally are counted for attendance in first period,” he said.

On the one hand, I’m not sure how much of a privacy issue I want to make of this if and only if the parents approve and find some value in it. Their decisions about the safety of their children override the concerns of the students in a case like this. But I’m also not sure how much extra safety they are getting out of the deal in exchange for the potential anxiety being induced. And more than anything, it looks like the schools are simply looking for a way to qualify for bigger cuts of the tax dollar pie by proving how many bodies they can shove into the classrooms each week.

So what do you think? Privacy issue? Funding scheme? Too much? Not enough?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Texas? Really?

lorien1973 on October 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Too much.

p0s3r on October 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Step #1. More likely it is a way of getting people used to the idea of being tracked via RFID.

Do not like, do not want.

rbj on October 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I find this chilling…

Ltlgeneral64 on October 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Who was saying Texas would be the last free state in the nation on the other thread?

LOL

This shows a trend to failure.

astonerii on October 7, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Texas? Really?

lorien1973 on October 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM

The mayor of San Antonio was the hot up-and-comer at the Democratic Convention, remember.

Caiwyn on October 7, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Texas? Really?

lorien1973 on October 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Yeah, really. They have been doing this kind of stuff for a while now. Not the RFID chips, just the off the wall Progressive stuff. Mostly local level stuff. Last time I lived there I think I got like five flyers/letters from the local school. Pretty progressive stuff in it.

astonerii on October 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Um…why the heck does this story have a pic of the BYU library associated with it on the front page? lol.

tlclark on October 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Lead-lined wallet, anyone?

Ira on October 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

So the kid who wants to go swimming hands his RFID card to his friend to carry around and off he goes.

What is the point besides treating people like cattle?

sharrukin on October 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Okay. This requires not just a “No!” but a “Hell NO!!”

joated on October 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM

And American Citizens have a hard time getting Voter ID.

Riiiiight.

Electrongod on October 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Once more a “Feels Good but Ultimately Fails” program brought to you by government.

Even if they chip you in your a$$, there are ways and there are “ways” to deal with it.

Not to mention the claim that your “identity will be safer” and as a result, harder to prove that your identity was compromised.

ProfShadow on October 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM

tlclark on October 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Yeah, that was quite a surprise. I was wondering where that came from.

Prufrock on October 7, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Lead-lined wallet, anyone?

Ira on October 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

You only need aluminum foil to defeat RFID. Shoplifters figured that out a long time ago.

HotAirian on October 7, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Oh. My. God.

Turn MD Red on October 7, 2012 at 6:45 PM

No. More. Government. Intrusion. These kids aren’t cattle.

scalleywag on October 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Yeah, it’s not the San Antonio Times, it’s the San Antonio Express-News.

This district is insufferable. They hide taxpayer money and scream budget crisis. They even threatened to lay teachers off just to get them to leave.

Now they want to Lo-Jac our kids. If this ever comes home with my kid, I’ll destroy it.

john1schn on October 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Waste of Money – sounds like someone is selling a scam

redguy on October 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Lead-lined wallet, anyone?

Ira on October 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Lead nothing; you can literally defeat this with a tinfoil hat.

Or how about a rare-earth magnet (you can pull some from discarded hard drives) to completely scramble the electronic brains?

MelonCollie on October 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM

…can drones follow them yet?

KOOLAID2 on October 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Texas? San Antonio school district — yeah, there are communists in Texas and most especially in the school systems, so, no surprise there.

Good news, this is on the students’ ID cards, so far no Einstein has proposed implanting RFID into the actual children.

But if they are closely monitoring who has access to the data …

If these chips are broadcasting continuously, it only requires someone with the appropriate receivers and processing software to be able to obtain information about the whereabouts of someone carrying that ID card. i.e., the school district can’t “protect the information”, because they cannot prevent broadcast of the location information. They may not release the name, address, or other info associated with a particular RFID card, but that’s not what a predator would be after anyway.

Good news, most kids are going to leave the cards in their lockers, lose them, get them crushed, soaked, bent, spindled and mutilated in their normal course of living so this will turn into a large fiasco most likely.

AZfederalist on October 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Could as easily be automated facial recognition….once something becomes possible, the only questions become economic.

cthulhu on October 7, 2012 at 7:00 PM

…can drones follow them yet?

KOOLAID2 on October 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Drones nothing. You could follow someone with off-the-shelf civilian electronics.

MelonCollie on October 7, 2012 at 7:00 PM

If the RFID chip is in the student’s ID card, what’s to stop the student from leaving the ID card in the school library and then leaving the campus?

“Yes, Ms. Smith, we know exactly where your son is. Apparently, he’s between pages 234 and 235 of Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary.”

J.S.K. on October 7, 2012 at 7:02 PM

If I were a student here, I’d just leave my ID in my locker where I know where it is when I need it. That way the school gets what it really wants and I maintain my privacy.

Done and done.

rogaineguy on October 7, 2012 at 7:02 PM

rogaineguy on October 7, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Yes, Mrs. Smith, we’ve located your son Billy; it appears he is in his locker. No, Mrs. Smith, I didn’t think little Billy was having problems with bullies either. We’ll look into it Mrs. Smith.

AZfederalist on October 7, 2012 at 7:06 PM

IF I had been required to use a card with a chip in it… and I wanted to say… be somewhere else rather than at school or in class… I simply would have cut a deal with others to take my card to classes with them. A favor I would have either paid cash for, or would have done in kind for the students who assisted me when they, too, needed to be elsewhere.

This is not about ‘protecting students’. This is about being able to show how many cards were in any given classroom, or on any bus, at any given time, so that federal and state dollars would continue to flow with even less effort on the part of school officials and teachers who have, until now, been tasked with attendance records.

thatsafactjack on October 7, 2012 at 7:06 PM

The only reason farmers use those chips and tags is because they are told to. RFID tags placed on a human is for the same reason. Monitor the herd. No student should be required to have them. I work at the VA and they have issued us similar ID cards called PIV. I’m looking for other employment.

MNDavenotPC on October 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Done and done.

rogaineguy on October 7, 2012 at 7:02 PM

A lot of students will be found after hours locked in their lockers. So the admin will need to check which are just cards and which are real students.

Really, someone is just trying to make a little extra money selling scanners and chips.

KenInIL on October 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM

As a parent, I want the little darlings to have their a$$es in their classroom seats instead of pulling a Trayvon.

Blake on October 7, 2012 at 7:11 PM

MelonCollie on October 7, 2012 at 7:00 PM

…yes…but the drones have missles if someone decides they don’t like you.

KOOLAID2 on October 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Privacy & control issues up the wazzu! Are you kidding me? Have people learned absolutely nothing from the smokers? They told us if we didn’t stop the bigotry, it would not only get worse, but the fat people would be next & they were 100% right! Texas better put a stop to this in Resounding fashion or the parents will be the next to be tracked! Orwellian? Yea! You bet it is! It’s also stunning how short a memory people have. How many times do you have to break your nose running into the same wall before you watch where you’re going?
Update for those following:How to take on the Obama Enemy media: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

The only reason farmers use those chips and tags is because they are told to.
MNDavenotPC on October 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Actually, they serve a useful purpose. For example, dairy farmers can monitor milk production of each particular cow and dispense grain in accordance with that particular cow’s production.

AZfederalist on October 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

So what do you think? Privacy issue? Funding scheme? Too much? Not enough?</

Just another way for f'n teachers' unions to steal more taxpayer $.

Danny on October 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I’ve been hoping someone would ask Barack and Mitt what they think about the National ID Card program that was signed by the compassionate George Bush, but has never been implemented due to backlash from some states.

SouthernGent on October 7, 2012 at 7:16 PM

AZ I understand that aspect. But I remember the way they did dairy production 30 years ago in Wisconsin, they could still monitor type of production, they used clip boards. I do understand that with corporate farms the need for such monitoring, you must admit that for humans there is no need for such a thing, ever.

MNDavenotPC on October 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Wait til the child predators get ahold of RFID scanners.

john1schn on October 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I mean the Nazis tattooed….. think about it.

MNDavenotPC on October 7, 2012 at 7:21 PM

What better way to train the childrens to give up their freedom than by teaching them to be tracked/monitored at an early age??? Of course the NEISD can rationalize the accountability and safety aspects–those are easy to do. I mean, the same can be said for prisoners. The easiest way for the state to get you to further barter away your freedom is to do it under the auspice of “safety.” The Hunger Games main character, Katniss Everdeen, stated about her fenced in district, “We’re so caged by electrical fences and cameras that we can starve to death in perfect safety.”

Monitoring children like this is a bad idea. I do not support it.

ted c on October 7, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I teach in China. We NEVER take attendance. If a student is out for the day the kid’s parents call. If no one calls the home room teacher CALLS the parents to see what’s up. No need for chips.

As a retired teacher of 29 years I’ll tell you that all the roll taking is exhausting and needlessly time consuming. The school’s barking up the wrong tree here though. They should use facial recognition. It’s much easier. “Kids, just look into the computer screen on your way in.” Bingo.

Mojave Mark on October 7, 2012 at 7:23 PM

No ID needed to vote, but this $200 ID card is needed to go to school???

What scheme do the Democrats have here?

ted c on October 7, 2012 at 7:24 PM

wtf happened to TAKING ATTENDANCE? ‘home room’ used to be 3rd period, mid-morning, to get a maximal body count between late arrivals and early departures. Is attendance-taking now a doubleplusungoodrac istinfringement?

Just stick that school ID in the microwave for about 10 seconds.

rayra on October 7, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I’m an assistant principal in a mid sized school district in Texas. Schools are funded partly by what’s called Weighted Daily Attendance. Northside is probably thinking that this technology is going to be more efficient to take attendance more accurately which will raise the WDA. That being said, I can think of several ways to use that money other than dumping it into some experimental program. Not for it.

pullingmyhairout on October 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM

…Just say, “NO!”

StarLady on October 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Consider the slippery slope.

Disturb the Universe on October 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM

You mean the San Antonio Express-News, there is no San Antonio Times, to my knowledge.

skatz51 on October 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM

So what do you think? Privacy issue? Funding scheme? Too much? Not enough?

I think: “Ho-hum.”

On privacy, the chips don’t track them off the school grounds. Exactly how much privacy do you expect students to have when they’re supposed to be observable by school faculty the entire time they’re at school? If it’s not videotaping them taking a dump in the bathroom or in the school showers, then honestly, who cares?

I also doubt that this is a funding scheme. I’m guessing it’s an idea that school administrators have that exact positional information will somehow magically produce benefits without conceiving of scenarios as to exactly how that works. Sure it can deal with truancy, but so can simply taking attendance.

The people freaking out over freedom are once again making much ado about nothing, but at the same time, there’s little rationale for this policy. In so far as there are objections to be had, it should be kept strictly to both cost and to the needless hassle it’ll be to students to constantly keep a card on their person that provides no discernible benefit for the safety or education of the students.

Stoic Patriot on October 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Bexar County is one of the few Democrat counties in Texas; therefore, it makes sense that they would play Big Brother.

DAT60A3 on October 7, 2012 at 7:43 PM

So what do you think? Privacy issue? Funding scheme? Too much? Not enough?

Too much. Disgusting. What the hell are these people thinking?

The cry of safety and the public good can be used very effectively as trojan horses to attack liberty.

This is wrong on a number of levels and also begs the question, “How stupid and incompetent are the teachers and administrators of the Northside Independent School District that they have to have RIFD chips to keep up with their students?”

MessesWithTexas on October 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM

So what do you think? Privacy issue? Funding scheme? Too much? Not enough?

No. NO. NO!

If you believe this, then I will sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.

Oy, there is no way on earth I would let this be done to my children.

INC on October 7, 2012 at 7:48 PM

The Mark Of The Beast…

GOVERNMENT…

wildcat72 on October 7, 2012 at 7:48 PM

tlclark on October 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Hahaha I was about to say the exact same thing.

Source: I go there.

reagant on October 7, 2012 at 7:48 PM

MessesWithTexas on October 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
~ Benjamin Franklin

Tracking where people are is giving up essential liberty.

INC on October 7, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Why don’t they just go ahead and implantthe chips in the kids?
You know they want to.

katy the mean old lady on October 7, 2012 at 7:54 PM

DAT60A3 on October 7, 2012 at 7:43 PM

The weird part is that Northside District is pretty conservative for the most part.

john1schn on October 7, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Stoic Patriot on October 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I don’t like the idea of letting them track people through a card, either a student card, or your drivers license.

sharrukin on October 7, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Et tu, San Antonio?

Odysseus on October 7, 2012 at 7:57 PM

The picture on the link is of Brigham Young University, my alma mater. Not sure whether it matters, but that ain’t Texas.

Longing4Lincoln on October 7, 2012 at 7:57 PM

And in the meantime, my school can barely afford ink for copies. Someone’s making money off of this.

kc-anathema on October 7, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Longing4Lincoln on October 7, 2012 at 7:57 PM

BYU the original Stepford Students.

RickB on October 7, 2012 at 8:10 PM

AZfederalist on October 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM

And at that point, the school district will push to have them implanted in the kids.

CJ on October 7, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Unnecessary. It’s obviously a tool to obtain federal funds, which should not exist anyway. TEXAS should be the last state in the union to expect federal dollars.

HOWEVER, San Antonio is largely a democrat city and county, so this does not surprise me. The problem here is, this does not help students LEARN. It’s a waste of money, again, on another program that wont teach them how to READ. I pay well over $2500 in school taxes and a good majority graduate at an academic level well under 12th grade. This is not acceptable. RFID chips wont help them learn. If they are not showing up for school, start jailing some parents. That’ll fix it REAL quick.

TX-96 on October 7, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Large cities are socialist strongholds in all 50, uhh, 57 states.

Even Huntington, WV and Charleston, WV. The difference is the cities in WV are small (50K max)…

wildcat72 on October 7, 2012 at 8:28 PM

US Passports have RFID chips. The better to locate the bodies of our ambassadors and staff killed by the arrogance of this administration.

Happy Nomad on October 7, 2012 at 8:32 PM

OT: Hugo Chavez losing in Venezuela!

sentinelrules on October 7, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Alternate headline- Loser losing in Venesuela. RFK jr. devestated.

Happy Nomad on October 7, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Happy Nomad on October 7, 2012 at 8:32 PM

And we still aren’t allowed to know which country’s passport Hussein used when he visited Pock-HE-Ston in the 80′s.

Hint: 20 seconds in a microwave destroys RFID chips.

wildcat72 on October 7, 2012 at 8:39 PM

First they came for the children, and only in “limited locations”, then they started chipping people for work, then criminals, then…….???

It’s not hard to see where this is going.

KMC1 on October 7, 2012 at 8:44 PM

It’s not hard to see where this is going.

KMC1 on October 7, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Government schools are all about teaching obedience to the government.

Thank God I left them in 1986 and graduated from a Catholic one in 1991.

wildcat72 on October 7, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I tell the school I refuse to participate and then I’d buy and RFDI blocker for the ID card to be stored in.

You can buy them here.

Axion on October 7, 2012 at 8:45 PM

You can buy them here.

Axion on October 7, 2012 at 8:45 PM

20 seconds in the microwave…

wildcat72 on October 7, 2012 at 8:47 PM

The southern border of America is under siege and those that don’t understand that do so at our peril. San Antonio is under occupation, not from liberals from Austin, but Mestizo. The DNC aspiring next POTUS … Julian Castro.. remember him?

Texas Gal on October 7, 2012 at 8:49 PM

We are simply inching towards chipping every newborn baby that comes into this world. Immigrants get chipped when they get their green card. It is just a matter of time.

We’ll just sit on our hands for this one too. Oh well.

FlatFoot on October 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I live in NISD and have 2 children who attend school there. First of all the retiring superintendent is an arrogant jacka$$. I know from first hand experience dealing with him. And it doesn’t surprise me that something like this would surface in his district. The school district has spent BIG money on a ridiculously expensive music hall in one of theie schools that actually rival some professional music halls.

On the other hand, NISD does happen to be one of the best in San Antonio but the campuses are a mixed bag of some stellar performing schools and some bad performing schools. Some of the most affluent neighborhoods in the entire city are in this district. But there are also neighborhoods on the low end of the economic spectrum that are also in the district. I am not familiar with the middle scholl mentioned but John Jay HS is not a good one. It is on the west side of town and there are lots of gang, drug and teenage pregnancy issues.

I don’t like the idea of using RFID tracking devices at all. What ever happened to truency officers? Hold the parents and students accountable and manage the problem like they did in the old days; detention, suspension, and discipline!

Oh, and it is absolutely a funding scheme!

glennbo on October 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM

You can buy them here.

Axion on October 7, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Ha.

That site is like a Toys ‘Я’ Us for paranoid schizophrenics.

FlatFoot on October 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM

20 seconds in the microwave…

wildcat72 on October 7, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Right, but by using the blocker the RFDI is still functional in case you need it to log onto your computer for example. I have two of these, I think I paid about 20 bucks for both of them.

They hold my company ID and they WORK. They are designed so you can quickly access the RFDI if you need it and then secure it again just as quickly.

Axion on October 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Once this is done by a few places, the courts will rule “no expectation of privacy” and we will be tracked without warrants wherever we go.

Only a fool would give this much power to any government.

Spartacus on October 7, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Northside Independent School District? They’re probably gonna have to delete one of those words from the name once this electronic tracking is initiated. And if a teenager doesn’t want to be tracked, well, the school district is probably going up against one of the most “creative” groups of citizens in the US.

DaveDief on October 7, 2012 at 9:13 PM

What happened to taking attendance?

McNinja on October 7, 2012 at 9:21 PM

glennbo on October 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I’m a Northside product and so is my spouse. It’s a truly mixed bag, and while I see their reasoning for going after Jay and Anson Jones (a Jay feeder middle school), I don’t agree with it. This is not the function of the school, and they should not be toying around with things like this.

I have an idea. They can Lo-Jac the kids as long as all of the faculty, administration, staff, board and superintendents are as well.

Bet that never happens.

john1schn on October 7, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Oh, and it is absolutely a funding scheme!

glennbo on October 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM

And why I cannot fully condemn the effort though I object to it in a number of ways including Constitutional.

The school system is forced by the Dept. of Education to report on the number of children who get free meals, are transported, etc. Inserting an RFID chip into the ID they need to get that free meal or transportaion is an easy way to “catch” those who qualify for free meals but walk.

Happy Nomad on October 7, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Wow…I LIVE in Northside so I’m paying for this nonsense. Lovely. NISD has in recent years become increasingly ‘progressive’ and our children go to a different school (at great cost…)due to a run in with the G/T program director at the elementary school over veganism and Algore idolatry.

4 years until my oldest goes to HS and presumably back into public school but its certainly a situation we will monitor in any case, this new information not really changing that too much.

San Antonio isn’t a terrible place to live all in all but we have alot of sheep.

Texas74 on October 7, 2012 at 9:35 PM

So what do you think? Privacy issue? Funding scheme? Too much? Not enough?

I don’t think it will be fair to deny the teachers, administrators and janitors these safety improvements as well. They would be tracked during their work day and no doubt suggestions for productivity improvements would be very welcomed.

If they can get higher powered RFID chips they will be able to track the teachers on their sick days, of course only for their safety and in case of emergency.

RJL on October 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM

tlclark on October 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Russian ships. Turkish planes. BYU library.

Who knew Jazz worked for the DNC?

Mitoch55 on October 7, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Seriously for the safety of the children……

We should just go ahead and do it. Implant the kids with a chip that monitors their location at all times. Then we should also track their calorie and food intake with some type of med chip that senses high fat content and then sends a shock into their brains that nudges them into conformance. While we’re at it lets just implant everyone and set the chip to terminate their existence as the HHS secretary shall deem appropriate. Maybe 45 when their complete lives have been lived.

And could we get a tattoo on our foreheads while we’re at it and that way we could monitor all commerce and regulate the movement of the economy better? Maybe we could get the tattoo to be promoted by celebrities and it would become the rage. And if any scum doesn’t want to get the tat well just don’t let them buy or sell anything, right? Seems fair.

BTW, any chance the Temple is about to be rebuilt in Israel?

PappyD61 on October 7, 2012 at 10:07 PM

On the one hand, this is Bexar County/ San Antonio, so doesn’t accurately portray the thinking or ‘state of the state’, if you will – much like Austin doesn’t.

Unfortunately, Bexar County/San Antonio *does* perhaps give us an early look at where the state might be headed as demographics continue to change, etc.

RJL on October 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM

LOL, brilliant – nicely done.

Midas on October 7, 2012 at 10:10 PM

So what do you think? Privacy issue? Funding scheme? Too much? Not enough?

I think a hammer and a nail set will take care of the problem very nicely.

woodNfish on October 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM

If I were a teenager, I would sooooooo love those tags.

1. Chew big piece of grape hubba bubba
2. Remove gum from mouth
3. Stick gum on ID
4. Put ID underneath library seat
5. Grab inner-tube and head for the Gunpowder River

Laura in Maryland on October 7, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I think they should drug test teachers before they try this.
And I say this as a HS teacher.
But that will never happen.
BTW-there’s a reason ranchers like my husband & I have been against mandatory RFID tags in cattle.
The Feds have been trying to force us to do this, as several dollars & more per head.
For ‘source verification’ they say.
It used to be called a brand.
Evidently they think these tags are much better.
News flash: they’re NOT.

Badger40 on October 7, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Dear Governor Perry,
It’s time to step in here.
Just tell the idiots that dreamed this up….if you implement this, you will not receive one dime from the State.
Problem solved.
Sounds like a Constitutional issue anyway.
You could be in court for years….they’ll all be gone.

dirtengineer on October 7, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Think through the cost and the financial rationale.

The only delta in funding comes from students who are on campus, but not in their first period class. They gave the example of being in the nurses office. Fair enough, perhaps asking the nurse to mark attendance for all those in the nurses office at a given time would be cheaper.

What is more likely is they want to count as present students who are on campus, but ditching class.

I suspect that given this is Texas, it won’t take long for the state legislature to change the funding so that if you get funding for students in class or excused functions (e.g. nurses office, field trips), but you lose funding for student’s ditching class. Then the system will be come a liability and quickly phased out.

The only delay is we only have the Texas legislature meet every other year (or special session). If they ain’t meeting, that can’t be causing as much trouble. Something to consider at the federal level.

yetanotherjohn on October 7, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Prediction Chavez wins re-election.

PappyD61 on October 7, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I could see a card like I have for work to scan into the place, its the whole tracking that has issues with me. I do not care if “its just on campus”.

To me, this has another feeling of getting kids used to being “monitored”. This way when they get older and its time to take the “next step” they will be willing with open arms.

watertown on October 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Mandatory tracking of patients is already required in the Obamacare law…….

devan95 on October 7, 2012 at 11:01 PM

These are not adults. These are kids, and the school district is in loco parentis for a large part of the day.

I’d rather there be a way to know a kid is truant, or has left the campus when he or she shouldn’t.

Better would be a system that lets the kid badge in using a reader — that way, the monitors can know the badge is working properly and that the kid, and not someone else carrying his badge.

The kids shouldn’t have to carry these cards off campus, or, if they must, the cards should have a sleeve to render them inoperable.

unclesmrgol on October 7, 2012 at 11:03 PM

BTW, any chance the Temple is about to be rebuilt in Israel?

PappyD61 on October 7, 2012 at 10:07 PM

With their biggest and possibly only real ally gone insane and the entire M.E. possibly close to igniting? I doubt it.

MelonCollie on October 7, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Why was the image of this story a picture of BYU’s library?

bhj on October 7, 2012 at 11:24 PM