Video: Steve Martin endorses candidate in very Steve Martin way

posted at 5:21 pm on October 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, don’t let the fact that he’s endorsing a Democrat stop you from enjoying this. Three reasons why. One: You like Steve Martin. Everyone likes Steve Martin. C’mon. Two: How often is a celebrity endorsement entertaining rather than obnoxious? If you’re going to take the “my opinion matters because I make movies” approach, at least reward my investment of time in your shpiel with some amusement. Done and done here. Three: His candidate of choice, Bob Kerrey, is predictably getting crushed in the Nebraska polls by GOP nominee Deb Fischer. Anything could happen, I guess, but right now Kerrey’s trailing by ~15 points while Larry Sabato has the race as a likely Republican pick-up, the only one in the country outside of Ted Cruz’s bid in Texas to merit that rating without an incumbent on the ticket. Not even Steve Martin circa 1978 could save this guy.

Exit question: Time to counter the Martin endorsement with a Bill Murray endorsement? Quote: “I think we ought to be personally responsible.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I thought his performance in Dr. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band was Oscar-worthy.

BobMbx on October 5, 2012 at 5:48 PM

He was one of the few good things in that movie.

DEAD MEN DON’T WEAR PLAID is hilarious.

SagebrushPuppet on October 5, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I’m trying to remember why Steve Martin seemed so funny when I watched him in the 70s, but all that I’m getting is a thick haze……oh, and a sudden urge for pizza.

whatcat on October 5, 2012 at 6:33 PM

OT Anyone seen this story about the Philly High School teen who got bullied by her teacher? And now the girl is getting threatened by kids from the school.

CW on October 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Gern Blanston is a Dem? Who knew?

(BTW, props to anyone who gets the Gern Blanston reference.)

Doughboy on October 5, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Steve Martin has not made a good movie since Father of the Bride in 1991, and a great one since Planes, Trains, and Automobiles in 1987. That endorsement is in line with his recent work.

Mr. Arkadin on October 5, 2012 at 6:45 PM

If I were a Nebraskan I would consider this annoyingly stupid and unfunny and would vote for Deb. Since I’m not, I consider it annoyingly stupid and unfunny and think back on “The Jerk” and “All of Me”, and wonder what happened to Steve Martin.

jclittlep on October 5, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Was I supposed to laugh?

boomer on October 5, 2012 at 6:57 PM

One: You like Steve Martin. Everyone likes Steve Martin. C’mon.

Actually, I’ve never gotten the appeal.

MadisonConservative on October 5, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I’m sure they became friends on the Manhattan cocktail circuit. How long has it been since Kerrey lived in Nebraska?

I saw Steve Martin live when he did a show at my university on one of his first tours. Tickets were $4 and we almost passed out from laughing.

juliesa on October 5, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Loved it.

Ted Torgerson on October 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Hahaha, if only all the ads were like that I wouldn’t have to flip the channel so often! And you’re right, everyone likes Steve.

scalleywag on October 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I don’t know why I thought he was a Republican. I guess it was just wishful thinking. Very sad.

theaddora on October 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Remember all the nose jokes he did in _________________ (can’t recall the name)?

scalleywag on October 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I do not like who he is supporting but I still like him. I think some of you need to chill.

EnochCain on October 5, 2012 at 7:11 PM

In other words, if Nebraskans pick Kerry, he’ll turn into a lesbian.

Western_Civ on October 5, 2012 at 7:22 PM

scalleywag

Roxanne?

xblade on October 5, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Steve Martin came out of a cerebral 1970s genre of arch, deadpan humor. I can see the wit in it, but never got any belly laughs.

But Martin is much funnier than his deadpan genre compadre, Chevy Chase.

Chevy may be the unfunniest “comedian” ever to hit the big screen.

Everything after the first “Vacation” (and I know that some folks love “Fletch” and/or “Spies Like Us”) had about as much pep as 0bama’s debating skills the other night.

cane_loader on October 5, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Have you ever seen Steve Martin as The Great Flydini on Johnny Carson?

PatMac on October 5, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I am a Nebraskan and I thought it was great! You city folks are missing the point… The wad of paper actually represents
Bob Kerry, folded, stapled, full of holes and metal pins. Crumpled rumpled and ultimately, thrown into the trash can of history. Kind of what we plan to do with him this November! Thanks Steve, from one hick banjo player to another…

serenity on October 5, 2012 at 7:58 PM

The thing about being out of the spotlight for a while is you suddenly look so much older.

mojowt on October 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

He’s no Clint Eastwood

jaywemm on October 5, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I LOLed.

spmat on October 5, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Sorry I watched. The Steve Martin in my memory was talented and funny. This was sad. (And, in fact, this is exactly why I don’t do school reunions either.)

Plus, those weren’t even “brads” (which are small-headed wire nails). Looked more like roofing nails. No woodworkers here?

bofh on October 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM

The only good thing about the clip was that Steve was so entertaining that I didn’t read any of the stupid endorsement notes.

BoomJunkie on October 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Lame as in unfunny in the extreme.

Sherman1864 on October 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM

One common symptom of liberalism I’ve noticed is celebrity worship. Here is another out of control ego thinking that anything they think up is entertaining. In a time when our nation is on the brink of collapse the nicest thing that can be said is that this video was dumb. And here is allah getting all moist over it. A typical celebrity worshiping liberal. If allah lived in Nebraska he’d be voting for the carpetbagger kerry because Steve Martin told him to and because kerry lived in nyc so he must be sophisticated and superior to those rubes he’s running against in Nebraska.

peacenprosperity on October 6, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Well, there you go. The difference between Democrats and Republicans in 2 minutes.

Democrats: Costly resources used, and time wasted wadding up a piece of paper.

Republicans: Crush that paper between your hands and toss it out.

Thanks, Steve!

Taximom on October 6, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Bzzt. Nope. Not since he’s twice attempted to play Insp. Jacques Clouseau (and, I don’t like other Clouseau posers either). Thespian blasphemy, IMHO. Sellers = Clouseau, end of discussion.

With me, it’s sort of a Connery-is-the-best-007 kind of thing (but I do like Daniel Craig as 007.)

E-R

electric-rascal on October 6, 2012 at 1:40 AM

R A M B L I N G Apostrophe….Rambling!

Renee on October 6, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Wow…the 1970′s were a long time ago. He was funny then. Wild and crazy guy. Happy feet. Now, he’s rich and dumb.

jan3 on October 6, 2012 at 10:57 AM

IMHO:

Steve Martin pulled off the world’s greatest acting feat in the film “All of Me” in the scene where he walked down the street as half-man, half-woman…and pulled if off convincingly!!!

landlines on October 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Bob Kerrey just lost my vote and I’m not even a Nebraskan!

Shy Guy on October 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I just lost all respect for Steve Martin. He may be funny but I don’t support movies made by anyone who endorese Demoncrats.

sherrimae on October 6, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Simple Twist of Fate.

cozmo on October 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Never heard of it. Who else is in it ??

cableguy615 on October 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Never mind, Coz, I will just IMDB it! Got nothing better 2 do ! lol

cableguy615 on October 6, 2012 at 6:08 PM

He’s a WILD AND CRAZY LIBTURD !

cableguy615 on October 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM