Reuters tracking poll: Romney gains four points on Obama in two days after debate

posted at 8:36 pm on October 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

Like Ed said this morning, you’ll have to wait a few more days for public reaction to be fully priced in.

But that doesn’t mean we can’t end a very good week on a hopeful note.

President Barack Obama’s lead over challenger Mitt Romney has narrowed to just two percentage points since the Republican’s strong performance in their first debate, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Friday.

In more bad news for Obama, one in five voters said the Democrat’s performance in the contest in Denver on Wednesday made them feel more negative about him and almost a third said they felt more positive about his Republican challenger…

Obama had led Romney by 6 percentage points in the poll released on Wednesday and the edge narrowed to five points – a 48-43 percent lead for Obama – in polling up to Thursday. That was the first including a day of interviews after the meeting in Denver…

More than 9 out of 10 registered voters – 91 percent – said they had seen, heard or read something about the debate, and 54 percent said they thought Romney had done a better job.

He gained three points in just the past 24 hours, in other words, as the news of Wednesday’s win rippled through the electorate. Rasmussen also saw some positive movement last night but says it’ll be Sunday before we know f it’s more than noise. The eeyorish take on all this is that it’s just a bounce, much like O’s post-convention surge, and will be tamped down in due time by today’s, ahem, “good” jobs report, the next debate, etc. The optimistic take — which I share in this case — is that Romney fundamentally changed public perceptions of himself by dominating a sitting president on national TV. The media’s pre-debate portrayal of him as essentially a lost cause was a real threat, especially since big-money donors were nearing the point of deciding whether to give up on the presidency and contribute to congressional races instead. All that’s changed now. Doesn’t mean he’ll be in the lead next week, but he did exactly what he needed to do to give himself a shot at victory.

Now then. Want to see a brutal political ad? Behold the power of silence.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Great ad, but it has to actually run often and not just be a web ad. It’s different enough that it could cut through the clutter.

gumbyandpokey on October 5, 2012 at 9:34 PM

It’s not a web ad.

kakypat on October 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Also planning to buy multivitamins, extra Vitamin C, and extra Vitamin D. And now would be a good time to find a friendly doctor and stock up on prescription meds to the best of our ability.

Mary in LA on October 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM

While living behind the Iron Curtain, simple medications such as aspirin were at a premium. My brother made a lot of money getting medications from Austria or Germany and selling them underground.

If people couldn’t pay, the barter system worked just as well.

JPeterman on October 5, 2012 at 9:46 PM

But I hope the debate bounce isn’t superseded quickly by a post-unemployment report Obama bounce. What I don’t get is, like Lou Dobbs on O’Reilly, those that are laughing about those like Welch and Scarborough that think these unemployment numbers look fishy. They do look fishy, and lot of people responsible for coming up with the number are probably in the tank for O. You can discount the claim of cooking the books, but to laugh at it is out of hand, as it is certainly plausible in light of how weird this unemployment report just a month before this election.

Of course, mainly, like in the debate, we have to keep the scope of our attack broader than just the unemployment number. And find the issues that resonate best for us, like the deficit spending, and Obamacare. Emphasize those issues. We don’t need the unemployment number to win. That is just one of many issues. Make sure that remains the case. And think about the long term economy.

anotherJoe on October 5, 2012 at 9:46 PM

That’s an incredible ad. Anyone who’s been through that or had their parents go through it would be chilled to the bone after watching it.

It’s not just the despair, it’s the shame that you have failed your family. I remember my father, a qualified architect with a bunch of letters after his name, going down to the supermarket to see if he could get a job packing shelves. I was too young at the time to understand it all, but I remember his face – he was ashamed.

That stays with you for life. Sad, compelling video.

Ozwitch on October 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Reuters is one of the most transparently biased push poll. It always oversampled dems, and they do not release their internals, but Romney usually has a lead among their independents. And while it claims it is looking at LV, there is nothing in the methodology that explains how it determines those are LV instead of just RV.

bayview on October 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Lawdawg86 on October 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

That’s a little bigger bounce than expected but, there’s just no telling with the ridiculous polling we’ve had so far. The Campaign just, really started. The non-political people got a wake up call from the 70 million people shouting about the beating Obama took in the “Denver Debacle”. Now’s when the campaign starts in earnest and now’s when the eSTAB-lishment Repubs, have to get into the fight, for real or the chicago thug machine’s going to “Steam Roll” Mitt! Time to get down & dirty, cause this campaign’s going to take a nose dive into the gutter!
Final Update for those following:How to take on the Obama Enemy media: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 5, 2012 at 9:49 PM

OBVIOUSLY THE POLL IS ACCURATE

Dave Rywall on October 5, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Yeah, but the October jobs numbers will be released before election day and the new unemployment number will be at 2.1%. I loathe half of our country. I just wish they would all move to France.

the new aesthetic on October 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM

They can fake the numbers, but the reality is record numbers of people are out of work or underemployed. They will vote, people they know will vote. Hopefully, there aren’t too many people voting based on a fake jobs report as opposed to the reality oftheir existence-record unemplyment, record gas prices, record losses of household income and worth.

If Obama actually got the unemployment rate down to 2.1%, he’d probably win and might desrve to. But if his media minions say the unemployment rate is 2.1% when it’s actually 14-15%, I don’t think it will work. (I hope it won’t work).

Would you vote based on a number printed in the press or on TV as opposed to what you’re paying at the gas pump? Whether you’re working? Whether you’re losing your house?

talkingpoints on October 5, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I remember as a kid the last of each month eating liver because that was all we could afford, my mom didn’t work and dad was a school teacher. that was the era when women just began to leave home and the two parent incomes began. Now it has become the norm. the norm used to be mom stayed home and made sure the kids did their chores and school work. the nanny state now pays the professional baby makers to breed and rewards them for each spawn, bred of whatever strays stop by and paid for by us who are responsible. The tattooed up cigarette smokin professional baby makers have no problem taking your money and mine and jabbering endlessly on their Obamaphones.

I suspect those phones will be used by the LyinkING to rock the vote and republican voters come Nov.

ConcealedKerry on October 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM

OBVIOUSLY THE POLL IS ACCURATE

Dave Rywall on October 5, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Is your ObamaPhone broken?

Electrongod on October 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

GrannyDee on October 5, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Dear GrannyDee, you’re welcome! {{{big hugs}}} I still believe we’ll come through this right-side-up somehow, if we’re prepared and have the will to survive.

Hot Air is one of my lifelines amid all the craziness (along with AoSHQ — gosh, I do love those virtual drunken hobo-bagging degenerate morons… but then I never pretended to any degree of sophistication! :-) )

Mary in LA on October 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I remember giving my Mom and Dad my piggy bank because I heard them say they didn’t have a “penny to their name”.

Yeah this ad hits home big time.

gophergirl on October 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I remember giving my parents the $6.00 I had saved all summer to go to the fair. I’ll never forget the looks on their faces as they accepted it. My mother used to ration our food so my dad would have enough to eat when he got home from work. She said it was important to keep him going.

Night Owl on October 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Fvckin’ A.

Gumbo.

Lanceman on October 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM

If people couldn’t pay, the barter system worked just as well.

JPeterman on October 5, 2012 at 9:46 PM

How right you are, J. When my grandmother came to the US after living behind the Iron Curtain, she always stocked up on pantry staples, medications, bandages, needles and thread, etc., as well as doing her own canning of fruits and vegetables.

While she lived in the US, she never went without anything (her unmarried son always provided quite well for her while she was alive) but she never forgot those years of suffering in Europe.

GrannyDee on October 5, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Note that he has a few days’ growth of beard – probably the amount of time he’s been unemployed. No need to shave, as there is no office awaiting his return.

But what grips your heart and rips into your soul is the look of despair and desperation in his eyes: as he sits at the supper table with his beloved family the horrific reality hits home with the impact of a crossbeam on his shoulders and he wonders in the deafening silence of his soul if he’ll prevail or become just another statistic on a government chart.

If any image captures the bare essence of the Obama presidency, this is it.

ManlyRash on October 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Wow, strong ad. I mean, brilliant ad!

the new aesthetic on October 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM

The deafening silence is that the msm can’t produce ONE excuse for their parrot-in-chief.

ManlyRash, you’re not forgiven for abandoning the cause even though I respect your pledge to leave us “under the circumstances“. But that’s water under the bridge—and it’s time to ride the tide into these headwinds that can send Obama back to Chicago with his tail between his Matthew’s sucking legs. Motivate the masses, and help to restore the principles of a free nation, (not under the government yoke), and I will be the first to say “welcome back” our patriotic friend.

Rovin on October 5, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Please tell me that ad will appear on someone’s TV, somewhere.

ccrosby on October 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Americans still think the President can “create jobs”. If both parties think this is the correct way to govern, what the he11 difference does it make who wins?

spmat on October 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM

One of Romney’s main debate points was that the government doesn’t create jobs. He wants to lower tax rates so that more money is put into the free market economy so the market can create jobs. (which will then lead to increased tax revenue)

talkingpoints on October 5, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Mary in LA on October 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Mary, you are a treasurer with a great sense of humor. Bless you!

And don’t forget to put a manual can opener in with your supplies.

GrannyDee on October 5, 2012 at 9:58 PM

When my grandmother came to the US after living behind the Iron Curtain, she always stocked up on pantry staples, medications, bandages, needles and thread, etc., as well as doing her own canning of fruits and vegetables. … I am ashamed to admit those lessons I learned from her have been forgotten. However, I remember them now and plan on rectifying the situation over the next couple of weeks.

GrannyDee on October 5, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I hear you. My parents were children of the Great Depression. (I’m unusual among my age-mates for having parents so much older. We basically skipped a generation.) I grew up with their stories — my dad and his brothers foraging for edible wild plants near their family farm when the farm wasn’t doing well, for example — but, like the wonderful loving people they were, my parents wanted to make sure that their kids never had to do without. So my sister and I were a little bit spoiled in that we were never made to do chores, and we pretty much got whatever we wanted for Christmas and birthdays. :-) Still, I remember the stories, and they’re very much at the forefront of my mind nowadays.

Mary in LA on October 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Abandon the cause?

I blogged my ass off for three years on three different sites and have zilch to show for the effort. Speak not to me of abandoning causes and ask not if I give a tinker’s damn that you forgive me.

ManlyRash on October 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM

this polling stuff must be fake…i heard myself from the ever esteemed prof sabato, uva, that there would only be a small bounce of a couple of points.

of course the uva group has already called the election for barry! based on state polling…nice try mitt but barry! has already WON

r keller on October 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM

And don’t forget to put a manual can opener in with your supplies.

GrannyDee on October 5, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Oh, yes indeed! If I’m at the second-hand store (my favorite place to shop!) and I see one for sale for a buck or two, I buy it, just to have extra in case mine breaks, or to be able to give one to my all-digital neighbors on the day they find their Fuzzy Logic Can Butler XPC-5000 won’t work during power rationing. I am now a connoisseur of can openers. ;-)

Mary in LA on October 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM

GrannyDee on October 5, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I pretty much still live like that. I don’t go hungry, but my entire life fits into the back of my truck.

JPeterman on October 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM

SCORE! That was my exact post debate prediction. It’s somewhere in that 4000 comment thread. I said the RCP average would be a 4pt swing but this is close enough.Now hive me my HA stash! I earnt it.

BoxHead1 on October 5, 2012 at 10:08 PM

give

BoxHead1 on October 5, 2012 at 10:08 PM

ManlyRash on October 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM

ConcealedKerry on October 5, 2012 at 10:09 PM

G’night, fellow HAers, especially GrannyDee — I’m off to the store, as aforementioned.

ManlyRash, I’m so glad you’re back!!!

Mary in LA on October 5, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Glad your back manly, I followed you on two of those other blogs for a while, welcome aboard! – ConcealedKerry on October 5, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Do we know each other?

ManlyRash on October 5, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Who do YOU know that voted McStupid that will now vote Obama or not vote?
Who do you know that voted Obama that will now vote Mitt or Not vote?
For every Obama to Mitt switch it is a two vote swing. – 1 from Obama + 1 to Mitt.

This plus the fact Mitt is leading amongst indies tells me this thing is not even close and the Chitown clown posse will have to gin up another major crisis to drag the Lyin kINGS rotten carcass across the line again!

ConcealedKerry on October 5, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Mary in LA on October 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM

lololololololololololol

Too bad we don’t live closer so we could scour the stores together. Second-hand stores are A-1 on my list. With five grandchildren, those are great places to get used clothing, shoes, toys and books. For $5 I can walk out of the store with bags of stuff.

Re: Your comments on the Great Depression. I don’t want to come across sounding like a conspiracy nut, but sometimes I wonder if the Progressives and their control over the public school system isn’t designed to wipe out the “truths” found in history.

What better way to create generations of adults who have no idea how to fend for themselves in a crisis?

GrannyDee on October 5, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Do we know each other?

ManlyRash on October 5, 2012 at 10:12 PM

From the old days of Captains Qtrs we do, times have changed as have other things to protect the innocent <:

ConcealedKerry on October 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Who do YOU know that voted McStupid that will now vote Obama or not vote?
Who do you know that voted Obama that will now vote Mitt or Not vote?

ConcealedKerry on October 5, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Anectodal news here. Since this past Sunday, we have had two R&R campaign workers come to our door on separate occasions.

First was a woman who told us she and her husband are registered D’s, but voting for Romney in this election.

Second was a man, also a D (at age 68 a life-long D at that) also voting for Romney.

A little encouraging news.

GrannyDee on October 5, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Abandon the cause?
ManlyRash on October 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM

“Three different sites” Links???? Yes, my friend, I followed your links after you left Hot Air. Your sites were indeed insightful, yet is was only the faithful found these sites because of your “decision to leave” under this “pledge”. “EFFORT”? How many of us were left behind to continue the effort when you had the talent to give real perspective, yet chose to leave? Take your “tinker’s damn” and please let me say, you’ve been missed. You’re “zilch” was not in vain.

Rovin on October 5, 2012 at 10:20 PM

OBVIOUSLY THE POLL IS ACCURATE
Dave Rywall on October 5, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Why do Canadian leftists comment here as if any of us give a damn what they hell they think?

jawkneemusic on October 5, 2012 at 10:21 PM

jawkneemusic on October 5, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Good question, one which I’ve pondered many times.

GrannyDee on October 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM

“Also, I’ve seen a number of Obama ads during the playoff games today, and nothing from Romney. And Krauthammer was on FNC saying that there are like three Obama ads on the air in Virginia for every one from Romney. What exactly is Mitt doing with all that money he, and his numerous oddly-named sons, and his wife, and Paul Ryan, and Paul Ryan’s wife, and possibly once the family dog, keep soliciting from me?

Lawdawg86 on October 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM”

The lack of Romney ads has been a story all campaign long. We heard for months how well fundraising was going, and got reports of how he outraised Obama and would be able to match him ad for ad going forward. Yet no ads appeared and then we were told wait until after the GOP convention and we would get this unprecedented “shock and awe” ad blitz. Well, that never showed up, and finally there was an article in the NYT that said the campaign had money problems and much of their money was going to the RNC. And giving away the cable tv airwaves (getting outspent 93-7), which Romney has done, just defies explanation.

And I get a call every night around 5pm from the Romney campaign asking for at least 3.00.

gumbyandpokey on October 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Do we know each other?

ManlyRash on October 5, 2012 at 10:12 PM

ConcealedKerry on October 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Long live Captains Quarters!

Rovin on October 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM

They should follow up this ad with the same family 4 months later, eating brown rice or oatmeal or Ramen, hubbie unshaved, showing the despair, yelling at each other and then follow it up, when they divorce and she moves in with her parents in the basement.

The hubbie is now living in his truck in a parking lot, outside a Petsmart and a Joanne’s fabric. I met a young man and this was his story here in Ft. Worth 10 months ago.

Typicalwhitewoman on October 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I suspect there is a plan to all this that will become apparent to those outside the campaign after the election is over. Mainly, I believe the money is being very quietly applied to a massive ground campaign under the assumption that whatever side can get their voters to the polls will be the side that wins. I’ve read here and there that the super PACs are on their own also working on ground campaigns to reach out and touch likely GOP voters on a scale not seen before.

Don’t know if such a strategy will work as it’s a bit unusual for the GOP, but it may be a wise move in an election where the electorate is highly polarized (already locked into their voting decisions) and likely Dem votors appear to be discouraged.

mpthompson on October 5, 2012 at 10:40 PM

That poll swing for Romney puts the fake employment data into sharper focus. No one will be asking himself, “Gee, why would Obama lie to us.” They’ll know why.

Rational Thought on October 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM

And that ad is crushing. It taps into the very ugly truth of what long-term unemployment does to families. Even when mom or dad finally get a job, the family never feels secure again, the kids remember forever what it was like to learn at too young an age that dad can’t always make everything better. What Barack Obama has done to the good people of this country and their children is sickening.

Rational Thought on October 5, 2012 at 10:47 PM

What Barack Obama has done to the good people of this country and their children is sickening criminal and intrinsically evil.

FIFY

ManlyRash on October 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM

GrannyDee on October 5, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I dated a woman a while back who came to this country from Russia in 1987. She told me the first thing she did was go to a grocery store, she spent hours there. She never saw so much meat. She didn’t know what over half of it was. Never seen a doughnut, or most of the fresh fruit and vegetables. She told me back in Russia she would get up early and stand in line for a couple of hours to buy a pound of “ground beef” (nothing like what we see) and a loaf of bread.

Capitalist Infidel on October 5, 2012 at 10:57 PM

For those in despair over the ad disparity, know this:

At some point endless repetition, endless attack ads and endless blather has a negative impact!
I am in IA and getting more obama than Romney, but it was the same in the primaries and when Newt came into the last week to ten days up 9 or 10, the shock and awe of negative ads came fast and furious and drove his numbers to -5 with no time to respond. And I mean endless, constant, full commercial breaks taken up by Romney, Paul and PAC ads attacking Newt and Herman to a lesser extent.
That Romney shows even is great at this stage as the debates have begun and the sheeple are just beginning to tune in.
The ground game is and will be something to behold. I will be IN the polling place as will countless others. There are more doors being knocked, more mailers, more phone calls than ever before. Tomorrow morning is a rollout, the yard signs arrived Wednesday just as Mitt handed the Lyin kING his walking papers and this weekend the neighborhoods will be papered over with R & R signs.
This is business folks, this is coordination, this is leaving NOTHING to chance. Get in the game!

ConcealedKerry on October 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM

That ad is brilliant. I can’t recall anything like it.

WannabeAnglican on October 5, 2012 at 11:06 PM

OBVIOUSLY THE POLL IS ACCURATE

Dave Rywall on October 5, 2012 at 9:49 PM

No, it’s probably not. The best that can be said is that it might be precise — which is to say, it may land a consistent distance from the true number, rather than around that number. As such, significant movement in the poll may tell us something about trends without necessarily telling us what the results will be.

Count to 10 on October 5, 2012 at 11:08 PM

ConcealedKerry on October 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I’ve seen reports that indicate that Romney is sinking more money into the ground game than into ad buys.

Count to 10 on October 5, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Count to 10 on October 5, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Every registered voter will be contacted, multiple times and given the chance to contribute, to vote and to get a ride to the polls. This will continue until the polls close or the state is won.

ConcealedKerry on October 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Three points in a day is huge considering that there is really only one day with post-debate analysis baked into it. Considering that the debate ended at 10:30/ 9:30 CT, there would have been very few pollsters calling that night. Romney probably had some pretty good numbers on Thursday.

Illinidiva on October 5, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Is your ObamaPhone broken?

Electrongod

It’s not broken, but it smells funny. He thought it was an obama dildo.

xblade on October 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM

They should play that ad at dinner time…

… Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on October 5, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Full plates of dry salad, a roll, and silence. Brutal indeed.

txhsmom on October 5, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Who do YOU know that voted McStupid that will now vote Obama or not vote?

This is what I don’t understand. If the pro-Obama polls are correct, there are millions of people who think, ‘you know, I voted for McCain but I was wrong, Obama is doing a great job so he’s got my vote even though I’m a Republican and Obama is the most liberal Democrat ever to be elected president.”

Where are these people? They don’t exist.

HellCat on October 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM

gumbyandpokey on October 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM

you’refullofsh!t

KOOLAID2 on October 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM

oh, crap. that ad brought me to tears.

Javahog on October 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller
Topping all 3 network newscasts: National unemployment rate falls below 8% – a development with campaign implications.

gumbyandpokey on October 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Here’s a tip for everyone…

Romney will announce a stop in WI soon. Even though the state is considered “out of play” by Romney/Ryan now, Preibus has told the campaign that Thompson is polling 5-6 pts better than Mitt, so he has to keep Obama’s margin down to give Tommy a fighting chance.

It’s all about Thompson in WI now.

gumbyandpokey on October 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Hispanic family version for select states. That’s the voting bloc to seal the deal for Mitt.

matthew8787 on October 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM

gumbyandpokey on October 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Blah blah fake conservative loser.

wargamer6 on October 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM

gumbyandpokey on October 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM

You’re a joke.

wargamer6 on October 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Incredible ad. I don’t think I’ve seen a political ad with such great acting. But I can’t help but feel it is missing something. Don’t know what but it is missing something.

terryannonline on October 6, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Oprah just did a piece on the Romneys (along with the Obamas). I haven’t seen the magazine, just saw a “sneak peak” of the article on the Internet. That might actually help Romney, too. Oprah did not seem to be “frowny” with the Romneys.

crosspatch on October 6, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Don’t know what but it is missing something.

terryannonline on October 6, 2012 at 1:37 AM

No meat on the plates. That’s what it’s missing. They are eating potatoes, salad, and bread. There’s no meat.

crosspatch on October 6, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Malaise…

Strike Hornet on October 6, 2012 at 2:31 AM

ConcealedKerry on October 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I’m in Des Moines…just got my signs a few days ago from HQ…

lovingmyUSA on October 6, 2012 at 4:56 AM

Capitalist Infidel on October 5, 2012 at 10:57 PM

We are close family friends with a “boat family,” and have been since the literal night they arrived in 1981. We took them to the grocery store, and they said, “Wow, it’s amazing….now take us to the REAL store.” They didn’t believe it. They thought it was a facade. Their stories of living under communism are absolutely chilling.

hoosiermama on October 6, 2012 at 6:58 AM

The ad brought back some memories for me. There was a time that my wife and I ate nothing but potatoes for six weeks, that’s all there was to eat.

mixplix on October 6, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Good ad!

A friend is a Yugoslavian refugee and one of my few remaining lib friends. He voted for Øbama of course, but within two years told me it was depressing to see this country headed toward totalitarianism. He said he recognized all the tell-tale indicators of totalitarianism when he saw them, because he had spent the first part of his life trying to escape it.

petefrt on October 6, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller

gumbyandpokey on October 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Now go over to their websites, look at the stories, and then read the comments. Yeah, the networks covered it. And no, voters aren’t buying it. They’re insulted. Zero is not going to want to keep this “victory” in the news because at the next debate, Professor Romney will be giving the lazy student a lesson in REAL unemployment, job force PARTICIPATION, and how part-time jobs are counted. Just like the obamacare and IPAB sections of the last debate, this is an area Zero never should have waded into because the facts work against him. He should have told his labor secretary to stand down on the phony numbers. He is pissing all over the voters…and telling them it’s raining.

Rational Thought on October 6, 2012 at 8:16 AM

At least the family in the ad appeared to still have a home.

Many don’t.

stenwin77 on October 6, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Re-do the ad with the TV on in the background and Zero saying “We’re doing great! We’re in recovery!”

Rational Thought on October 6, 2012 at 8:28 AM

We got this.

rollthedice on October 6, 2012 at 8:33 AM

gumbyandpokey on October 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM

gumby is green pokey is a horse. NUFF said.

gerrym51 on October 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM

if i have a choice,

Have Mitt destroy the president in a debate watched by 70 million

or

have suspect unemployment rate drop were in swing states unemployment is already below national average

i’ll take the debate.

gerrym51 on October 6, 2012 at 8:47 AM

That’s a devastating ad. If you’ve ever been in that position it strikes home very hard.

CorporatePiggy on October 6, 2012 at 8:53 AM

But that doesn’t mean we can’t end a very good week on a hopeful note.

what, no eeyore?

ted c on October 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Yeah this ad hits home big time.

gophergirl on October 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Carter presidency: Dad out of work for like 8 months. We were living in Carmichael CA.
Mom was working supporting us at Woolco. She walked several miles to work everyday.
We ate a lot of beans then. I was making $$ mowing lawns & picking up aluminum cans & scrounging for pop bottles to give my parents some money for groceries bcs I was tired of eating beans.
My Great grandmother then died & left us some money.
We then moved from SoCal to Texas & never went back.
Dad finally found a job.
It’s them times all over again.

Badger40 on October 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Dad finally found a job.
It’s them times all over again.

Badger40 on October 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM

And as I recall, Reagan then came in & times got good again.
And my parents made a lot of $$$.
Amazing.

Badger40 on October 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I think at the end of the ad the dad should have gotten up and left the table with the wife starting to tear up.

PEP on October 6, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Wow…so it just may be that voters are becoming a little more informed? Well, I suppose this was just such a big thing they couldn’t avoid it. I’m sure they’ll go back to sleep soon enough.

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Gumby one trick… please find a hobby.

CW on October 6, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Here lies the truly terrifying reality: 43% of the electorate will vote for Romney while 42% will vote for Obama – which means that the fate of this republic hinges on a scant 15% of “undecideds” who are incapable of distinguishing between liberty and tyranny.

ManlyRash on October 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Yep. BTW, Manly, when did you break your self imposed exile? Also, are you going to guarantee Mitt will…for sure…no doubt, the way you did with McCain/Palin in 2008? Just asking.

tbarleycorn on October 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

*Mitt will win…

Dang it!

tbarleycorn on October 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM

OBVIOUSLY THE POLL IS ACCURATE

Dave Rywall on October 5, 2012 at 9:49 PM

With a D+12 sample? Nah. In real life Romney is easily 6 points in the lead. Why aren’t they using the Nov 2010 turnout model for these polls?

Oh that’s right Reuters is a socialist cheerleading squad. Even Rass isn’t using the correct turnout model.

Remember folks, every time it has mattered since 2008, what has happened? Polls show dems in the lead, but they have been trounced every time.

dogsoldier on October 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Just in…..

Rasmussen has Romney ahead by 2 49-47 with two thirds of the interviews taking place after the debate, a four point swing.

Expect that number to grow tomorrow.

Zybalto on October 6, 2012 at 9:44 AM

“Expect that number to grow tomorrow.

Zybalto on October 6, 2012 at 9:44 AM”

The bounce from the good jobs report will swing the numbers back. The 7.8 number is the lead on all the morning shows and newspaper headlines. No mention of the debate anywhere.

gumbyandpokey on October 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Just in…..

Expect that number to grow tomorrow.

Zybalto on October 6, 2012 at 9:44 AM

milcus on October 6, 2012 at 9:56 AM

It’s over for Obama.

faraway on October 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM

“Victory is in sight!!”

I like that quote better than any Romney has made in the campaign.

PappyD61 on October 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM

obamacare?
anotherJoe on October 5, 2012 at 9:46 PM

hasnt romnney said he likes parts of it and would not repeal?

i honestly dont know.

i also wountnt get to slap happy about this. when the commies start running their ads about the repukes going after unions and inserting social issues i think these will do more damage than rom winning a debate,right or wrong.
social issues are a noose around the repuks necks!

svs22422 on October 6, 2012 at 10:02 AM

“The next few results will be telling. If Romney keeps going up, Obama got no bounce from “7.8,” if the number stabilizes, than the unemployment rate propaganda number is working.

milcus on October 6, 2012 at 9:56 AM”

Wow, a realistic post here!

gumbyandpokey on October 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM

BTW, before anybody gets too excited, Rasmussen still has Obama with a 50% approval rating, and if you are at that level on election day, you win.

gumbyandpokey on October 6, 2012 at 10:11 AM

DOES GALLUP GO TO A LIKELY VOTER MODEL STARTING TODAY?

In 2008, Gallup switched to their likely voter model on October 6th, one month from the election. Assuming they will do the same this year, we should see A MIGHTY SURGE to Romney over the next few days in that poll.

Not only will Romney enjoy the post-debate bounce, he will get the likely voter screen bounce.

Rasmussen has Romney surging 4 points today with only 2 days of post-debate polling in the can out of 3 day sample. Good good news.

mitchellvii on October 6, 2012 at 10:12 AM

The 7.8% number will have NO EFFECT on polling at all. If anything it will hurt Obama.

Republicans are pissed off at the fake number. Independents don’t believe it and it will make Democrat voters complacent. 80% of the comments I am hearing about this number is that it makes no sense.

mitchellvii on October 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM

milcus on October 6, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Not only will Zero get no bounce from the “employment” numbers, it will drag him down further. It’s a lie, and it was an insult to voters — especially the unemployed ones!

Rational Thought on October 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM