Quotes of the day

posted at 9:11 pm on October 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

Seeing our president hanging out at podiums in Charlotte and now Denver, his famous competitiveness nowhere to be seen, has left me with a question I wish I didn’t have: Does Barack Obama really want to be president?

His campaign team wants it, yes, and his party, and his wife. But if meeting donors and lawmakers is such a drag, and campaigning such a chore, maybe he’d rather be home in Chicago, spending time with his family and small circle of close friends. At work, only his students would press him for answers. And at parties, he could indulge his kindhearted inclination to seek out the oldest person in the room and settle in to hear his stories…

Only, in love, in work, and in politics, desire is at least as important as affinity; you actually have to want it, and show that that’s the case.

***

Physically, he looked shamefaced, even guilty. Whenever Romney made some point, he would drop his head, purse his lips, and nod, like a prisoner in the dock admitting to some shabby crime…

Instead, Obama signaled that he wants out. His diehard supporters are already trying to wave away this weirdly awful, unengaged performance as just his latest turn of Zen mastery, but that dog won’t hunt. They should steel themselves for more shocking displays of indifference over the next month on the part of this strangely diffident individual. It’s quite possible that he means what he says, and he really can’t wait to become an ex-president.

For all of his fumblings, Mitt Romney by contrast very much wants to be president, and if Barack Obama has decided to open the door to the White House, Romney will stroll on through.

***

Watching the president grimace his way through the restrained back-and-forth reminded me of a conversation I recently had with a friend in Democratic politics, who posited that Mr. Obama simply doesn’t love being president. Not that he doesn’t want the job or believe he should have it, or that its challenges don’t give him plenty of cause for stress or solemnity — just that he doesn’t appear to actually enjoy the daily business of running the country.

Mostly, what Mr. Obama seems to get no joy from, and what debates really demand of you, is the opportunity to persuade people that you’re right, by making complex arguments sound simple and self-evident. This is why Bill Clinton’s convention speech stood out as it did — because it reminded everyone of how powerful an enthusiastic presidential explanation can be…

Mr. Obama’s goal, it seems, was to indicate his continued willingness to serve in a job he believes he can do better than the other guy, but that doesn’t really seem to energize or enliven him. That’s a problem, and not only for the duration of the campaign.

***

I said it after the convention speech and I’ll say it again: If there’s something that seems shut down in our once ebulliently optimistic president, it most likely has to do with the wars. Obama is a naturally empathic individual, whose diverse, mobile, international background made him unusually able when it came to assessing new social situations and reading more than people say. Some observers have speculated that Obama needs a crowd, energy he can draw from. But he had that aplenty in Charlotte, and it barely helped. I suspect a more prosaic explanation: A person of his temperament cannot maintain the same open demeanor when he’s dealing with war and death all the time. As, we must recall, Obama has been for years now. If Obama seems shut down, perhaps it is because he has to be to be who he is and do the job he needs to do day in and day out. If his heart didn’t seem in it last night, I wonder if it’s not in part because the last thing he needs to consider in his work on a day-to-day basis is his heart. It’s a long way from being a community organizer, civil-rights lawyer and anti-war state senator to running a drone war that kills innocent civilians, ordering the death of militants, overseeing a policy that’s led to an increase in American casualties in Afghanistan, and delivering funereal remarks at a ceremony honoring the returning remains of a slain American diplomat.

It’s the only explanation I can come up with for why there is so much self-abnegation in Obama’s campaigning.

***

The Obama who delivered a shockingly lackluster convention speech last month is the same man who walked into that Denver stadium in 2008 to rapturous approval. The man who lost the debate Wednesday night is the same man who never managed to make Obamacare popular after more than 50 speeches and pronouncements on it in his first year.

The key difference now is that the hunger for Obama has been replaced with the indigestion that follows after four unimpressive years in office. In sales, they say you sell the sizzle, not the steak. In 2008, the man was all sizzle, and the ravenous throng was sold. Now he must sell the steak itself, and it’s full of gristle, fat, and bone.

***

Left unmentioned was the fact that the liberals were criticizing Obama for the very aspects of his personality they so often celebrate. After the killing of Osama bin Laden in 2011 Matthews praised this “cold-blooded” president, whom he now excoriates for aloofness and apathy. Sullivan famously argued that Obama’s high-mindedness would take the country beyond the cultural fights of the Baby Boom generation, but when Obama took a high-minded approach in his closing statement Wednesday night, and floated above the debate at 30,000 feet, Sullivan called it “f—ing sad, confused, and lame.” For years liberals have praised Obama’s intellect, fluency, demeanor, and dignity—qualities they now worry might be too “professorial” for the debate-watching public.

Did the scales just fall from their eyes? Had they really not considered the possibility that Obama might not be as formidable, or as “likable,” as they had thought? Or had they been so blinded by their preconceived notions about the man, so devoted to the idea that his opponents are nothing more than fundamentalist servants of Moloch, that they could not imagine what would happen when he encountered, face-to-face, a clever, smart, cogent, and determined opponent?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7 8

arnold ziffel on October 6, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I won’t pry… but I’m very glad to hear that things are better for you now! It is very good to have you back, green eyes!:)

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Can’t wait to see bluegill on next wed. night when she gets wet for Paul Ryan and starts in on how Palin was a horrible VP choice.

arnold ziffel on October 6, 2012 at 1:32 AM

…I keep my raincoat and waders within reach at all times!

KOOLAID2 on October 6, 2012 at 1:36 AM

…I keep my raincoat and waders within reach at all times!

KOOLAID2 on October 6, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Fishing spear would be more useful

AZfederalist on October 6, 2012 at 1:38 AM

AZfederalist on October 6, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Yeah…well, I’d hate to get caught in a cold snap!

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 1:38 AM

This is a hit and run post.

Steveangell on October 6, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Good, and I say this not with malice – there is no validity in your speculation. What you saw was what he’s always been. The rest of the world just realized it on Wednesday night.

Schadenfreude on October 6, 2012 at 1:39 AM

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Thank you very much. I appreciate it, just some relatively minor med stuff.

arnold ziffel on October 6, 2012 at 1:40 AM

He isn’t setting up crap, stevie. He’s just a loser.

wolly4321 on October 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM

In The Mood – Robert Plant

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM

arnold ziffel on October 6, 2012 at 1:35 AM

….have missed you…and your sense of humor piggy !

KOOLAID2 on October 6, 2012 at 1:42 AM

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 1:30 AM

You breath deeply, heaving your chest high. It’s not something you do on purpose — you are just that kind of woman.

There’s chaos on the plain, and with a feeling of despair you recognize the sound of the Sparkonians. Of all days, to hunt Mammoth here, now, when you’ve so much work to do and so far to travel. Why weren’t they fishing for gigantashrimp, like always? You must get home with your prize, your handful of shards — must get home to your well-maintained hut — Hatchet is handy — but now, a pack of wild Sparkonians — fierce hunters and fisher-people — stands between you and your escape. And intergalactic butt-kicker that you are, a pack of Sparkonians is too much.

You have an idea.

Axe on October 6, 2012 at 1:43 AM

A little off topic. The following is part of a comment by an Obama supporter in response to a Japan Today article on the US jobs numbers. Just to let you see the quality of the opposition.

Anyone paying attention to the real economic news, no one watching fox for sure, knows that housing is rebounding finally and that in general the economy is doing much better. You can see that in the stock market which is at five year highs now. The republicans have no answer for that, unless they think that Kenyans are driving the market up somehow to support Obama (who was born there according to most republicans).

genso on October 6, 2012 at 1:44 AM

arnold ziffel on October 6, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I missed you. if you know the forest-I wont loose my piggy.

bazil9 on October 6, 2012 at 1:44 AM

got my drinkie…

time to get nasty.

reefer headed woman – aerosmith

Tim_CA on October 6, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Brian Kilmeade played on Fox and Friends an interview he did with Bob Woodward. Woodward said the Obama’s head seemed to be somewhere else and wondered if something is going on his personal life or perhaps Obama has received some big information in foreign affairs that is preoccupying him. It made me wondered too. He did not seem present. His mind was elsewhere.

terryannonline on October 6, 2012 at 1:46 AM

There would be virtually no advantage to sandbagging himself in the first debate for Obama and great harm to his chances. Its ridiculous to suggest that he would deliberately look weak and inept in the first debate in order to somehow appear more brilliant at the second and third debate. He would essentially be, not only throwing away the first debate, but allowing his opponent the advantage of setting the narrative and grasping the momentum of the campaign.

Obama was exactly what he appeared to be. He was an ill prepared, weak, inept debater bereft of the ability to so much as justify his last four years as President, much less produce a vision for the next four years on the domestic front.

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 1:46 AM

…I keep my raincoat and waders within reach at all times!

KOOLAID2 on October 6, 2012 at 1:36 AM

lol — damn. Conversation has now gone horribly awry. :)

Axe on October 6, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Fishing spear would be more useful

AZfederalist on October 6, 2012 at 1:38 AM

…that one is immune to everything…it’s been speared so many times and it just babbles on anyway… unaware.

KOOLAID2 on October 6, 2012 at 1:46 AM

This is a hit and run post.

Steveangell on October 6, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Wow..You are been reduced to a gutter snipe..:)

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Axe on October 6, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Oh, good! I’ve got an idea! First… man, I wish this skin had pockets to put these shards into! Its not enough that I have to figure out how to make a neolithic bikini… now I have no danged pockets!

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 1:49 AM

bazil9 on October 6, 2012 at 1:44 AM

B9! Good evening! It’s good to see you!:)

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Schadenfreude on October 6, 2012 at 1:39 AM

That skinny little pud could practice for a month and still not change his persona. Maybe polish the turd but the stink would still be there.

I want Romney to poke just a bit more and watch Barry melt.

Any normal man esp president would have reflected on how to do better but shithead’s comments today about dancing with the stars shows he was wounded. GOOD.

arnold ziffel on October 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM

bazil9 on October 6, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Good to see you..:)

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM

arnold ziffel on October 6, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Good Evening!!..:)

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Sea of Love – Plant

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 1:52 AM

arnold ziffel on October 6, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I missed you. if you know the forest-I wont loose my piggy.

bazil9 on October 6, 2012 at 1:44 AM

…hem…*cough*…Sparky has had to substitute for you since you’ve been missing most of the time…I think it was some iridescent fluorescent new shirt that distracted some of the wominz while you were recovering.

KOOLAID2 on October 6, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I will drop this incase you have not seen this.

Debbie Wasserman Schultz

The most detestable woman I have ever seen other than Nancy Polski.

Man the air brush techs must have spent hours to do that to her.

Steveangell on October 6, 2012 at 1:53 AM

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Yes, a narcissistic fool..Chi Jesus dont have it easy so more.
Part of me wonders..this is to much hard work..doesn’t like it nor does his wife in chief. Want to let it go and roll in the $ and chill in HA… but hate the fact of loosing face. Tough choice there..just my thoughts a swirling.

Perfect song here. Its so easy when everyone’s trying to please me…

bazil9 on October 6, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Precious – Depeche Mode

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I missed you. if you know the forest-I wont loose my piggy.

bazil9 on October 6, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I know the good forest you speak of—-I just don’t like that Japanese forest. Bad things happen there. :)

arnold ziffel on October 6, 2012 at 1:56 AM

This is a hit and run post.

Steveangell on October 6, 2012 at 1:34 AM

…why don’t you run…and hit a post!

KOOLAID2 on October 6, 2012 at 1:57 AM

bazil9 on October 6, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Yes. I think there’s a great deal of merit to the idea that he may long for the speaking tour and the cocktail circuit. He loves the opportunity to play critic and criticize what others actually DO. He’ll also be raking in a fortune in speaking fees and book deals, and we already know how much he loves to play celebrity.

Great tune, too!:)

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 1:59 AM

KOOLAID2 on October 6, 2012 at 1:57 AM

lol! Good one!But, unfortunately, you’re talking TO a post. :)

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 1:59 AM

I will drop this incase you have not seen this.

Debbie Wasserman Schultz

The most detestable woman I have ever seen other than Nancy Polski.

Man the air brush techs must have spent hours to do that to her.

Steveangell on October 6, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Stevie, they blew out two computers doing the photoshop on that one. Next thing is to modulate her voice, although a ball gag would work as well.

arnold ziffel on October 6, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Good Evening!!..:)

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Hi Dire, good to see you.

arnold ziffel on October 6, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Every Time I Roll The Dice – Delbert McClinton

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Good to see you..:)

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM

You too..I picture u in Pj’s with a fedora and a jaunty feather. lol
Howdy D. Chill’n like a villain.

KOOLAID2 on October 6, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Sparky is like me..a HA ho. lol
I had to move on. ;)

Steveangell on October 6, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Until you unravel from your antichrist comments..I don’t care what you post macadamia. I know a little about the bible as well. Your one they warn about..imo.

The church and preachings of steve. He knows who the Antichrists are..buy his book.
meanwhile..you still come and fight the left. One weird mother effer. Give you that.

bazil9 on October 6, 2012 at 2:04 AM

genso on October 6, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Wow, that’s some rocket-science level logic there I tell ya.

AZfederalist on October 6, 2012 at 2:04 AM

arnold ziffel on October 6, 2012 at 2:00 AM

LoLz..:)

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 2:05 AM

arnold ziffel on October 6, 2012 at 1:56 AM

? lol..
I know of know jape forest.
I do like udon though.
Not scene in my hike through Mt B. lol

bazil9 on October 6, 2012 at 2:07 AM

know of no..cut me off..2 beers and 2 am. a sign.

bazil9 on October 6, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Love Bites – Def Leopard

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:08 AM

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 1:49 AM

You know, as a character, I gotta say, you are a pain! I made you hot, which was important, then I made you smart, which you seemed to think was important, then I made you inventive, well educated, restored your blackish-brown belt, gave you nice boots — and what do I get for all that work? SNARK ABOUT POCKETS!

Ahem.

*cough*

Ahem.

You place you shards into your pack, sling it over your shoulder, and make your way around the wall of the irregular cave. You step carefully toward the light you noticed shining in. It is as you hoped: another opening, and on the other side of the ridge. After crawling through rather sexily, you stand blinking in the bright sun. The valley beneath is flooded, and there, in the cool mineral water, are the 9 Bees — the strange women you had seen only once before, right after you crashed, just before you traded your Star Uniform for your cave-girl skins. They see you, and stand. You make your way down the slope.

*** end of book one ***

Axe on October 6, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Wildwood Weed – Jim Stafford

Tim_CA on October 6, 2012 at 2:10 AM

I am a mormon..who thinks romney is an antichrist but love santorum.
B9 jeopardy..

What is?

bazil9 on October 6, 2012 at 2:10 AM

What Was I Thinkin

Axe on October 6, 2012 at 2:11 AM

AZfederalist on October 6, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I thought the mistaken reference to Kenyans instead of Keynesians was telling. And these people claim a much higher intelligence level.

genso on October 6, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Axe on October 6, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Okay… so I’m leaning against a rock at the bottom of the slope, nex to the cool mineral water… and tapping my little booted foot.. arms crossed… waiting for the writer to come back and set me in motion!

Geez… what a difficult guy.. you ask for some boots and a couple of pockets and he’s all cranky!

lol! Nice work..though. You really may have something here … perhaps a HA serial. We could air a segment each time Club Hot Air opens for business. Perhaps once a week. :)

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:15 AM

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:08 AM

This one is for Obie..:)

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Yep- why not? all the dough and easy peasy. But trade off for his pride and ego..heh.
You can tell he doesnt take pride or care-the real job or what it takes..but just the title, power and perks..Mich whispers in his ear..throw the race card and R’s under the table why you lost..lets live it up-relax and make some real $ baby. ummm uhmmm

Where is livefree? speak of Black Queenie. I is a racist lol..enjoy your folly.

bazil9 on October 6, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Axe on October 6, 2012 at 2:11 AM

lol! Great tune! :)

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:19 AM

A drive by before sleepy time.
Adios to the pie tasters.

bazil9 on October 6, 2012 at 2:19 AM

How Long Blues – (EC version)

Tim_CA on October 6, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Perfect! I think it is, too!:)

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:20 AM

bazil9 on October 6, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Trolls have been remarkably absent. :)

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Bad New Is Coming – Luther Allison

This is what Obama felt like the morning after the debate.

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:25 AM

This one is for Obie..:)

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM

It’s over now

tafj, nice to see the clowns…they’d been very cocky ahead of Wedn. We should be very awake and not celebrate until Nov. 6, and then only for a short time. It’s going to be very rough. This week was just an idea of how they’ll be.

Schadenfreude on October 6, 2012 at 2:25 AM

À l’œuvre, on connaît l’artisan.

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:15 AM

lol — those words could only exist at one particular place, at one particular time. :) You just helped draw up the specifications for the universe.

I took a walk around the world to ease my troubled mind.

This one is for Obie..:)

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Crying In The Rain! :)

Axe on October 6, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Where is livefree? speak of Black Queenie. I is a racist lol..enjoy your folly.

bazil9 on October 6, 2012 at 2:17 AM

He tried to defend O’s idiocy only once…left after…there was no point in it.

Schadenfreude on October 6, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Schadenfreude on October 6, 2012 at 2:25 AM

I know it’s going to be tough, and I have braced myself for what will come in the lame duck session.

However, I remind myself that we’ve endured 4 years of Obama and this administration, and I feel confident that no matter what they do for the next 4 months, we can endure that, too, and repair all of the damage that he is able to do before he takes that final helicopter ride.

In the final analysis, I believe that whatever he can do in the next four months can’t possibly be as bad as the prospect of four more years of him.

I’ve grimly stared down the barrel of this administrations worst and waited for these days. I will see them through as we walk him to the door.

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Good evening, DIRE! wow.. Spark was only off by four pages!lol!

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Opps. Better get out my three dimensional black board and redesign my predictor machine.

I have to tell it to subtract 4 pages. No wait…add 4 pages? Help.

Stupid vacuum tubes are getting over heated.

SparkPlug on October 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM

The king has lost his crown

Schadenfreude on October 6, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Schadenfreude on October 6, 2012 at 2:25 AM

You make a good point you only left out one thing…LSM..:)

PS..Good to see you..:)

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 2:35 AM

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM

May it be so!

Schadenfreude on October 6, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Indeed, and good to ‘see’ you too :)

Schadenfreude on October 6, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Axe on October 6, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Good one..Very good..:)

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 2:36 AM

I will drop this incase you have not seen this.

Debbie Wasserman Schultz

The most detestable woman I have ever seen other than Nancy Polski.

Man the air brush techs must have spent hours to do that to her.

Steveangell on October 6, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Wow.

Axe on October 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM

SparkPlug on October 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM

You’re such a funny pupil. I like you.

Schadenfreude on October 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM

SparkPlug on October 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM

LoLz..Dave says he will bring you something to cool down with..:)

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM

The king has lost his crown

Schadenfreude on October 6, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Very appropriate.

Barack and Moochle
Went up to Hill
To steal her chance for glory

Barack fell down
and lost his crown
and that is the end of the story!!

Sounds like Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pale of water.

SparkPlug on October 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM

SparkPlug on October 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Very nice! :)

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Schadenfreude on October 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM

I leart it all watching you Master. Oh and DIRe too.

SparkPlug on October 6, 2012 at 2:39 AM

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:38 AM

I get all my perspiration from Schad. I just add the inspiration I get from you but the problem is you steal my breath away so its hard to inspire.

SparkPlug on October 6, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Sounds like Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pale of water.

SparkPlug on October 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Nice!

Axe on October 6, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Evening guys. :) Had fun!

Strangely tired though.

*poof*

Axe on October 6, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Its Too Late – Allison

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Axe on October 6, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Goodnight, Axe. Sleep well.:)

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:44 AM

SparkPlug on October 6, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Smooth talker!:)

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Smooth talker!:)

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Our beloved Sparkie, indeed.

————–
When all is said and done

Schadenfreude on October 6, 2012 at 2:48 AM

SparkPlug on October 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM

LoLz..Dave says he will bring you something to cool down with..:)

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Dave stole another air conditioner? Oh it fell off a truck..that’s the story.

SparkPlug on October 6, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Schadenfreude on October 6, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Excellent choice of tunes, my friend. Very good, indeed.:)

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:51 AM

This is what happens when we drop first principles for false hope.

I’m afraid we have to look deep into the heart of the culture we’ve allowed to tinker with a US president’s most precious function, that of simple utility to preside over the Constitution, not to rule over the people.

Saltysam on October 6, 2012 at 2:56 AM

As The Years Go Passing By – Moore

I bid you all a fond goodnight. Its been a pleasure, as always. See you soon.

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:57 AM

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Nice tune..:)

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 2:59 AM

SparkPlug on October 6, 2012 at 2:48 AM

LoLz..But Dave was singing a tune..
I was born in the wagon of a traveling show
My mother used to dance for the money they’d throw..:):)

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Way late here. Goodnight all

AZfederalist on October 6, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Poppa would do whatever he could
Preach a little gospel
Sell a couple bottles of doctor good

I couldn’t leave without finishing it.

Didn’t want to jinx Romney. LOLz.

SparkPlug on October 6, 2012 at 3:17 AM

SparkPlug on October 6, 2012 at 3:17 AM

LoLz..Good to see you!!..:)

Dire Straits on October 6, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Amazing how “what comes around goes around”. Obama wanted to transform America and now democrats want to transform Obama even more.

VorDaj on October 6, 2012 at 3:54 AM

When this process started about a year ago and Sarah Palin disappointed many by not entering the race just after delivering a barn burner speech a year ago this week, I never thought I would be excited to cast a ballot for Mitt Romney.

I just did. I got my absentee ballot and I just completed the whole ballot. I voted straight GOP, including the judges. I voted against the union propositions to amend the Michigan constitution, and also voted to require a super majority in the state legislature to raise taxes.

I think I did my patriotic duty to protect the republic tonite. My congressional representative is a tea party guy going for his 2nd term. I am new in his district (Pete Hoekstra’s old district), so this is the 2nd different tea party type I have voted to send to Congress. My old district tea party guy should win his seat, but his opponent has been doing a lot of advertising on tv.

Anyway, back to Mitt. I am very glad he performed this week. Instead of voting with dread, I happily marked the oval by his name.

karenhasfreedom on October 6, 2012 at 3:57 AM

thatsafactjack on October 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Are you kidding? We haven’t repaired the damage BILL CLINTON and HIS administration have done.

Every Liberal administration burrows deeper and deeper into the mechanisms of government and culture weakening and undermining them further to the point of no return.

We’ll never even know the extent to which this particular Enemy Of The State and his minions have been able to infect and compromise all levels of our national security while they were able like no other administration yet.

You really think the many and various actors on the stage who hate this country and what it once stood for haven’t busily taken advantage of this unprcedented situation while they could? Leon Panetta in charge of the FBI as just ONE example?

Wake up, pal. This wasn’t just a bad dream you’ve awaken from. This is real.

Cleombrotus on October 6, 2012 at 4:09 AM

And to top it all off, he and his grifter wife and their progeny are now set for life regardless of whatever happens. On our dime.

Cleombrotus on October 6, 2012 at 4:13 AM

The debate was the exhale debate. It was the moment americans said wow it is ok to vote for this guy. He isn’t what we have been told everyday by the media.

tomas on October 6, 2012 at 5:15 AM

From Ace of Spades HQ

BREAKING: Before/After Debate Poll Release

So, here we go. The first polling taken the day before and the day after Wednesday’s debate, appearing in National Journal.

Tuesday October 2: Obama 49 Romney 45 O+4

Thursday, October 4: Obama 46 Romney 47 R+1

Both polls conducted by Clarus Research amongst 590 Likely Voters with a 4% MOE.

Flora Duh on October 6, 2012 at 5:54 AM

Hey gumby, told ya you didn’t know what you were talking about – as usual.

For both campaigns, Florida is one of the keys to winning the White House. It’s even more important for Romney, whose paths to Electoral College victory are few without the state’s 29 votes. Even though each side has already spent $60 million on TV and radio ads, Republicans are expected to spend even more than Democrats in the campaign’s final weeks.

[snip]

The Romney campaign didn’t wait for the former Massachusetts governor to secure the nomination to set up a presence in the city. Unlike McCain, who was far outspent, they’re matching the huge resources Obama is pumping into the area, said Brett Doster, a Florida-based political consultant who is advising the campaign and ran George W. Bush’s 2004 Florida campaign.

Along with a stronger ground game — Doster says it’s bigger and better organized than when Bush carried Duval County by 61,000 votes — the Romney campaign believes it will be able to win back Republicans who supported Obama. Source

Flora Duh on October 6, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Flora Duh on October 6, 2012 at 5:54 AM

Argghhh…. this “MOE” bullshit drives me crazy. With 500 people in the poll you get a 96% confidence interval (the 4% MOE) with about 80% probablity (4 out of 5 times). The standard sample[1] size is 2000 for 96% confidence with 95% probability (19 times out of 20).

This is from memory from when I took stats (1978).

[1] The model is a finite sample from an infinite pool but the US has 100M voters and 100M is “infinite” compared to 2000.

gh on October 6, 2012 at 7:28 AM

You mean, running the country into the ground, Matt.

disa on October 6, 2012 at 7:30 AM

disa on October 6, 2012 at 7:30 AM

No. Matt has it right. The “into the ground” is the part he enjoys.

gh on October 6, 2012 at 7:33 AM

About that Unemployment Rate. My take.

kingsjester on October 6, 2012 at 7:40 AM

kingsjester on October 6, 2012 at 7:40 AM

There is a good post on NRO explaining that this is much more likely to be just a sampling error and not a conspiracy from the white house. The head of BLS is a Bush appointee among other things.

Also they mentioned (NRO – different article, iirc) that one of the major polling outfits (gallup or reuters) did an unemployment poll and got the expected 8.2 percent.

Right now Mitt is doing well and its better to focus on getting him elected than distractions from the WH, real or imaginary.

gh on October 6, 2012 at 7:52 AM