Quotes of the day

posted at 9:11 pm on October 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

Seeing our president hanging out at podiums in Charlotte and now Denver, his famous competitiveness nowhere to be seen, has left me with a question I wish I didn’t have: Does Barack Obama really want to be president?

His campaign team wants it, yes, and his party, and his wife. But if meeting donors and lawmakers is such a drag, and campaigning such a chore, maybe he’d rather be home in Chicago, spending time with his family and small circle of close friends. At work, only his students would press him for answers. And at parties, he could indulge his kindhearted inclination to seek out the oldest person in the room and settle in to hear his stories…

Only, in love, in work, and in politics, desire is at least as important as affinity; you actually have to want it, and show that that’s the case.

***

Physically, he looked shamefaced, even guilty. Whenever Romney made some point, he would drop his head, purse his lips, and nod, like a prisoner in the dock admitting to some shabby crime…

Instead, Obama signaled that he wants out. His diehard supporters are already trying to wave away this weirdly awful, unengaged performance as just his latest turn of Zen mastery, but that dog won’t hunt. They should steel themselves for more shocking displays of indifference over the next month on the part of this strangely diffident individual. It’s quite possible that he means what he says, and he really can’t wait to become an ex-president.

For all of his fumblings, Mitt Romney by contrast very much wants to be president, and if Barack Obama has decided to open the door to the White House, Romney will stroll on through.

***

Watching the president grimace his way through the restrained back-and-forth reminded me of a conversation I recently had with a friend in Democratic politics, who posited that Mr. Obama simply doesn’t love being president. Not that he doesn’t want the job or believe he should have it, or that its challenges don’t give him plenty of cause for stress or solemnity — just that he doesn’t appear to actually enjoy the daily business of running the country.

Mostly, what Mr. Obama seems to get no joy from, and what debates really demand of you, is the opportunity to persuade people that you’re right, by making complex arguments sound simple and self-evident. This is why Bill Clinton’s convention speech stood out as it did — because it reminded everyone of how powerful an enthusiastic presidential explanation can be…

Mr. Obama’s goal, it seems, was to indicate his continued willingness to serve in a job he believes he can do better than the other guy, but that doesn’t really seem to energize or enliven him. That’s a problem, and not only for the duration of the campaign.

***

I said it after the convention speech and I’ll say it again: If there’s something that seems shut down in our once ebulliently optimistic president, it most likely has to do with the wars. Obama is a naturally empathic individual, whose diverse, mobile, international background made him unusually able when it came to assessing new social situations and reading more than people say. Some observers have speculated that Obama needs a crowd, energy he can draw from. But he had that aplenty in Charlotte, and it barely helped. I suspect a more prosaic explanation: A person of his temperament cannot maintain the same open demeanor when he’s dealing with war and death all the time. As, we must recall, Obama has been for years now. If Obama seems shut down, perhaps it is because he has to be to be who he is and do the job he needs to do day in and day out. If his heart didn’t seem in it last night, I wonder if it’s not in part because the last thing he needs to consider in his work on a day-to-day basis is his heart. It’s a long way from being a community organizer, civil-rights lawyer and anti-war state senator to running a drone war that kills innocent civilians, ordering the death of militants, overseeing a policy that’s led to an increase in American casualties in Afghanistan, and delivering funereal remarks at a ceremony honoring the returning remains of a slain American diplomat.

It’s the only explanation I can come up with for why there is so much self-abnegation in Obama’s campaigning.

***

The Obama who delivered a shockingly lackluster convention speech last month is the same man who walked into that Denver stadium in 2008 to rapturous approval. The man who lost the debate Wednesday night is the same man who never managed to make Obamacare popular after more than 50 speeches and pronouncements on it in his first year.

The key difference now is that the hunger for Obama has been replaced with the indigestion that follows after four unimpressive years in office. In sales, they say you sell the sizzle, not the steak. In 2008, the man was all sizzle, and the ravenous throng was sold. Now he must sell the steak itself, and it’s full of gristle, fat, and bone.

***

Left unmentioned was the fact that the liberals were criticizing Obama for the very aspects of his personality they so often celebrate. After the killing of Osama bin Laden in 2011 Matthews praised this “cold-blooded” president, whom he now excoriates for aloofness and apathy. Sullivan famously argued that Obama’s high-mindedness would take the country beyond the cultural fights of the Baby Boom generation, but when Obama took a high-minded approach in his closing statement Wednesday night, and floated above the debate at 30,000 feet, Sullivan called it “f—ing sad, confused, and lame.” For years liberals have praised Obama’s intellect, fluency, demeanor, and dignity—qualities they now worry might be too “professorial” for the debate-watching public.

Did the scales just fall from their eyes? Had they really not considered the possibility that Obama might not be as formidable, or as “likable,” as they had thought? Or had they been so blinded by their preconceived notions about the man, so devoted to the idea that his opponents are nothing more than fundamentalist servants of Moloch, that they could not imagine what would happen when he encountered, face-to-face, a clever, smart, cogent, and determined opponent?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 8

SWalker on October 5, 2012 at 9:52 PM

From = Front??

Electrongod on October 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM

A long, lonely time.

jaime on October 5, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Somthing Obama doesn’t understand,

God and Guns…

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 9:56 PM

By the way, biggest news story of the day –

Pamela Geller’s victory in federal court assuring her — and all of our — First Amendment rights. For now.

rrpjr on October 5, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Lanceman on October 5, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Ok I get what you were asking now. I was too busy watching my radar screen.

SparkPlug on October 5, 2012 at 9:56 PM

SparkPlug on October 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I’m not certain I approve of being referred to as a ‘blip’ on your screen, Spark. I even put on my official silver metallic Space 1999 Space Suit and everything!

thatsafactjack on October 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Good evening Lanceman! How’d I miss you?

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I see absolutely NO way he CAN add to his electoral vote total.

Lanceman on October 5, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Good evening Lanceman! How’d I miss you?

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Hiding.

Looking for gutmeandpokeme.

Does that a$$hole have a job? Because he’s always on.

Lanceman on October 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM

The War Planner on October 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Good evening TWP. Everyone is pumped up knowing that Barry is going Down

SparkPlug on October 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I’m happy you like it. I’m planning to play two more of those.

jaime on October 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM

RWM!! Hi!

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM

damn brutal BRUTAL QOTD tonight, Allah…..

ted c on October 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM

UGH – why are conservative/republican sweatshirts either so gaudy you can’t stand it or $100?

You would think this would be an easy Christmas present but no……

gophergirl on October 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM

The War Planner on October 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Good evening, War Planner! It’s nice to see you again.:)

thatsafactjack on October 5, 2012 at 10:00 PM

that’s it, the author nails it. He wanted to be king and set himself up for his own failure. Pride has gone, now comes the fall, and it’s a long long way down for this guy.

ted c on October 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Got mad and closed the door.

jaime on October 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM

rrpjr on October 5, 2012 at 9:56 PM

That is great news. Thanks for sharing, Pamela Geller is a true warrior.

JPeterman on October 5, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Hey Ted…

Brutal ain’t the word for it…

This is brutal and what I’d want to say to Obama.

Content Warning:

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I even put on my official silver metallic Space 1999 Space Suit and everything!

thatsafactjack on October 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Space Ghost

jaime on October 5, 2012 at 10:02 PM

thatsafactjack on October 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Well I didn’t want to give out the details of your signature curves cause the patent on my machine is still pending but let’s just say they are voluptuous and totally bodacious.

Easy to spot against a background of static. Perks my ears up right away.

The GOPe could happen on Pg 2.

SparkPlug on October 5, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Guy Benson had an interesting tweet today. Implied that Newsweek was the magazine doing the story on Obama’s campaign finance scandal.

Mark1971 on October 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Bmore: I saw the forest even tho the trees were kinda in the way ;-}

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Did you now? Was it because of the note I left you on last nights QOTD?

Bmore on October 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM

If Romney wins the election then America is just switching the train back to the same parallel track it was on when it crashed. We’ll be running back to the same failed GOP establishment Bush represented, only now it’s so much worse because Romney is twice or three times the statist that Bush ever was. And thanks to the failed policies of Bush and Obama and combined with the Romney’s promised Keynesian policies paid for through generational theft, which will similarly fail, Romney will sound just as lame in the ’16 debates, should he win, as Obama does in ’12.

FloatingRock on October 5, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Obamaphone lady autotuned

Ted Torgerson on October 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Bmore on October 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Hi Bmore, I am not terribly good at riddles but yes thank you!!

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM

By the way, biggest news story of the day –

rrpjr on October 5, 2012 at 9:56 PM

And this: http://www.examiner.com/article/texas-cheerleaders-see-victory-after-judge-extends-order-bible-banner-case

davidk on October 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Awesome, happy, uplifting QOTD! Well, for me…not for the left.

O/T Poor Joe…

CNN PIERS 598,000
MSNBC MORNING JOE 576,000

kakypat on October 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Howdy Scrumpy!

Welcome!

predator on October 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I like puzzles. I think it’s because I’m so shy.

Bmore on October 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Obama, you don’t like to debate? So go and powder your cute little p*ssycat nose.

jaime on October 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM

This was the talk I remember hearing about George HW Bush, that he didn’t really want the job. Except then it wasn’t so sappy and puke inducing. I was so looking forward to this, but now I can hardly stand reading their crappy excuses and theories. It’s pretty simple, as is the man, lazy and stupid, tired of pretending he knows what he’s doing.

Night Owl on October 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Obamaphone lady autotuned

Ted Torgerson on October 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I want her to me my mother…

Yep..

classy…

Obama…

your base Sucks!…
BAD!!!

Electrongod on October 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I posted this in the other thread. Picture guaranteed to make you smile.

Happy to meet Mitt

gophergirl on October 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM

It did. . : )

listens2glenn on October 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM

The riddles are because I’m shy too.

Bmore on October 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM

SparkPlug on October 5, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Here’s my official Space 1999 space suit… so you can calibrate the machine. :) MY official Space 1999 silver metallic uniform:)

thatsafactjack on October 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM

be..
That is….

Electrongod on October 5, 2012 at 10:08 PM

All of the above. The scrawny, jug-eared emperor has no clothes – and it ain’t a pretty sight.

ManlyRash on October 5, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Resist We Much on October 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM

RWM! Remember the picture of William Jefferson Clinton just before the DNC?

If you haven’t seen its mirror twin, click on the link:

Must … Not … Look …

Dammit!

PolAgnostic on October 5, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Here too!!

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Darn, Just blew a vacuum tube. I got more in the basement next to the lawn jarts.

SparkPlug on October 5, 2012 at 10:09 PM

The riddles are because I’m shy too.

Bmore on October 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Yep. Yeah. No doubt. You’re the shy type. ;)

predator on October 5, 2012 at 10:10 PM

CMDY DAILY SHOW 1,841,000

I HATE smarmy Jon Stewart, can’t even stand looking at the clips that are posted here…but maybe it’s relevant that he’s calling out O, could he turn some of the moron vote?

Jackalope on October 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM

predator on October 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Classic Cooper!! love it!

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM

The truth is that Obummer is disappointed in America. He thought he would be a reaganesque transformational figure: bringing change to the country, while riding waves of adoration and support. But America isnt leftwing enough to actually support his nutty ideas.

He must actually shmooze and persuade Congressmen to support his agenda and its not like these guys feel pressure building back home and basicly scramble to get to support him – as he thought it would be. Thats true of his own party AND Republicans. It was fatal for the few “Republicans” like Charlie Crist and Balthazar Huntsman, who came crawling to him because he was popular for a while.

Always remember that he once conceded to actually believe his own bullshit. Our President is a genuine headcase. He believes that whole Messiah shtick: That the world would come to peace through his wisdom and that he could overcome partisanship (in favour of Democrats) through his charisma.

Fighting and putting in real effort like mere mortals, having to compromise with real Republicans (who he hates passionately), these things are simply beneath him and actually spoil his enjoyment of the job. Thank God!!!

Valkyriepundit on October 5, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Now I can see why HA was acting squirrelly. They have added yet another ad for us. Just when I thought twelve ads per page refresh were enough. The banner across the bottom of this iPad thingy makes it a bit more challenging to hit the submit comment button. No worries HA. I like a good challenge.

Bmore on October 5, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Must … Not … Look …

Dammit!

PolAgnostic on October 5, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Will Smith in “Independence Day” – “Man, I have got to get me one of these!”

Shillary in that pic – “Man, I have got to get me two of those!”

predator on October 5, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Ted Torgerson on October 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM

She such a bad ass!!

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Off-Topic: They finally did a Bad Lip Reading of Paul Ryan. :D

LiquidH2O on October 5, 2012 at 10:14 PM

New ad out in Nevada today….

Greg Anthony, home grown Las Vegan, played basketball star at UNLV, starting point guard when they won it all in 1990, has an ad out supporting Romney.

He talks about supporting Obama in 08, but how he has lost faith in Obama.

Jvette on October 5, 2012 at 10:14 PM

thatsafactjack on October 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Nice rack!! You know the one holding up those *cough* instruments on the wall.

Thatsarackjack.

SparkPlug on October 5, 2012 at 10:14 PM

96 Tears – Question Mark and the Mysterians

But they’re progressive tears.

thatsafactjack on October 5, 2012 at 10:14 PM

kakypat on October 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM

you know, i have no idea why morning joey gets cited so much when fox and friends has 3X the viewship. if HA didn’t cover the goofball no one would every hear from him

r keller on October 5, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Yep. Yeah. No doubt. You’re the shy type. ;)

predator on October 5, 2012 at 10:10 PM

predator!!! 0 is shy too. You could tell that about him from the debate. ; )

Bmore on October 5, 2012 at 10:15 PM

He talks about supporting Obama in 08, but how he has lost faith in Obama.

Jvette on October 5, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I saw that. They need to get that one out everywhere.

predator on October 5, 2012 at 10:15 PM

She such a bad ass!!

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I was turned on by her gum showing expertise…

I’ll be back in a moment…..

Electrongod on October 5, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Well so far I got a flatline so it’s looking like page 3 is the one.

SparkPlug on October 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM

SparkPlug on October 5, 2012 at 10:14 PM

That’s just a model of my uniform… and I don’t wear a purple wig, either. :)

thatsafactjack on October 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM

FloatingRock on October 5, 2012 at 10:04 PM

You’ve convinced me. I’m voting for Ralph Nader.

Lanceman on October 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Jackalope on October 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM

He seems to be the ignorant young person’s Britt Hume.

So…yes.

kakypat on October 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM

For Obama, now troubles are many, they’re as deep as a well.

jaime on October 5, 2012 at 10:17 PM

r keller on October 5, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I hear ya’! I don’t get it, either.

kakypat on October 5, 2012 at 10:17 PM

predator!!! 0 is shy too. You could tell that about him from the debate. ; )

Bmore on October 5, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Riiiiight, if you spell “shy” i-d-i-o-t.

I tell ya B, the man’s lack of true leadership and knowledge is being exposed in a big way of late. It’s four years late in coming, but it could prevent another four.

predator on October 5, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Hi Bmore, I am not terribly good at riddles but yes thank you!!

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM

The little place in the forest was built just for our friend predator. He’s shy too. ; )

Bmore on October 5, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I hate what that skinny little community organizer has done to my nation. Grrrrr.

Key West Reader on October 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM

predator, sometime in November for Lexington. I’ll have an exact date soon.

Bmore on October 5, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Joe Biden’s theme song.

predator on October 5, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Flora Duh on October 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Thank you, Flora! Excellent news. :)

thatsafactjack on October 5, 2012 at 10:21 PM

if lefties had read anything about barry, they’d be able to explain barry…but they love their emotion too much

barry has never had a political job that he’s liked. Jarrett said this was because he was so ‘bright’

yeah, well, there are other explanations Val

also, having a vision that the country can really buy is not part of the leftist job qualifications. that is why it is perfectly fine with the left that barry doesn’t have a plan…but hates the R plan. That is why it concerns them not that his budget was doa 97-0.

yes, sadly, leftist/media types are that dumb. they like the theater, the dance, American idol…and barry provides the entertainment and style they like….really, very stupid people

r keller on October 5, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Romney: Always something nice to say, Oh what a blessing.

jaime on October 5, 2012 at 10:21 PM

ManlyRash on October 5, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Let’s posit another aspect of this which “balances out” the liberal universe:

PDS – Palin Derangement Syndrome – where one good governor becomes the focus of unhinged and unlimited liberal HATE …

… is balanced out by …

ODS – Obama Devotion Syndrome – where one poor community organizer becomes the focus of illogical and unswervable liberal WORSHIP as a messianic figure.

There are the opposing sides of the same coin. Nothing good can ever come from Palin. Nothing bad can ever be due to a failing in the SCOAMF.

Additional benefit? It all obeys the Three Laws of Thermogoddamics

1) You can’t win.
2) You can’t break even.
3) You can’t get out of the game.

… if you are conscienceless, atheistic liberal.

Anyone with a conscience and a soul gets to play by a better set of rules.

PolAgnostic on October 5, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Bmore on October 5, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Well now, Predator would fit right in!

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 10:21 PM

predator, sometime in November for Lexington. I’ll have an exact date soon.

Bmore on October 5, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I’m off work Nov. 1 through Nov. 7.

predator on October 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Bmore on October 5, 2012 at 10:18 PM

How’s the still? Still percolatin’?

predator on October 5, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Obama, to him you were nothin’ but a little plaything.

jaime on October 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM

The problem here is that the rest of the world saw Obama in his superman underoos.

We are in danger.

Key West Reader on October 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Let’s not forget that Barry gave Egypt to the muzzie bro hood al Qaeda

Plus Benghazi cover up debacle
Plus an zero jobs and oppressive taxes.

SparkPlug on October 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM

jaime on October 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Not heard of him before, nice n mellow…

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM

NBC: Undecided voters – Romney ‘stepped up’

Flora Duh on October 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Did you hear the pain in Brian Williams voice at the end??

JPeterman on October 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Key West Reader on October 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Hi, how are you doing?

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Anyone see a chance in hell Ryan loses to biden on Thursday?

Didn’t think so.

Two solid hits in two weeks??

That’ll play hell on barkys nerves teeing up the second Potus debate rather nicely, huh?

wolly4321 on October 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Not heard of him before, nice n mellow…

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I’ll see if I can find another one by Johnny Rivers.

jaime on October 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM

btw, obviously lefties count on a lot of fraud, etc. in their “gotv”

Anita has been tweeting up a storm recently wrt D fraud, and of course she has seen it up close, having worked with Acorn

r keller on October 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Hey, scrumpy!

Resist We Much on October 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM

How’s the still? Still percolatin’?

predator on October 5, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Lol! New batch, just for the change in seasons.

Bmore on October 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM

thatsafactjack on October 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Um Jack, that would be “UFO”, not “Space 1999″. Same limy creator, different show.

…And Gay Ellis is hot! Though there are even better pics out there.

cozmo on October 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Obama forgot to mention SANDRA FLUKE!!

Save that one for the “town hall” format…

Khun Joe on October 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Ted Torgerson on October 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM

At your link they had a J.Geils Band version. It’s really good!

Night Owl on October 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I’m Back..

Just had to blow some groceries because my last post…

Electrongod on October 5, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Obama really did suck the big one the other night. He was amazingly bad. So much for the smartest president, ever. Romney appeared confident, competent, and in control. Obama looked like the in over-his-head poser that we have all known he was and is.

TXMomof3 on October 5, 2012 at 10:29 PM

How about some Bob Marley – Stir It Up ???

the new aesthetic on October 5, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Ryan will not lose against Biden, no way Jose!!

I think Biden will inflate on TV, when he gets angry it’s totally visible…

Ryan will tie him up in knots!!

Can’t wait…

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Hey cozmo and wb eg!!

Scrumpy on October 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM

gophergirl on October 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Try RIGHT WING CHICK..those are really cute and not expensive.

tacodawn on October 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM

At your link they had a J.Geils Band version. It’s really good!

Night Owl on October 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM

What turned me on was her…

Hold on…