Question for Obama fans: Do you think it was unfair that he didn’t get to use his teleprompter at the debate?

posted at 6:41 pm on October 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Ace, three minutes of fun from Rebel Pundit and the Breitbart crew. The criticism of Jim Lehrer since Wednesday comes from the same basic impulse that’s driving the TOTUS fans here: Obama didn’t do well, therefore the debate was unfair, therefore something should have been different to make it more fair. Deciding whether it was Lehrer or Romney’s phantom cheat sheet or the debate commission’s cruel refusal to let The One wear a helmet with a tiny prompter bolted to it is less important than accepting that some injustice must have occurred to deny O his rightful victory.

The only thing on which everyone can agree in the aftermath is that he was, in fact, truly terrible. And when I say “everyone,” I mean everyone:

“You could tell he was pissed,” said a person close to the president, “But it wasn’t like the end of the world. It was like, ‘That wasn’t good. The next one has to better.’ No apologies. No hand-wringing.”

That night, after a brief, terse chat with his advisers backstage at the University of Denver arena — “He had real clarity about what had happened,” one of them told POLITICO with a chuckle — Obama hopped in his limo, “The Beast,” and sped off to a nearby DoubleTree with wife Michelle…

At first, Obama didn’t think his performance was a complete disaster. But he began Thursday morning by watching excerpts of his own performance and was especially struck by his own tentative, grim demeanor — especially when he and a more relaxed Mitt Romney were broadcast in split-screen. It was worse than he thought, according to one person close to the situation. He was subdued but positive on a conference call with staff.

Follow the link above for the first inklings of the media’s inevitable “Obama comeback” narrative after the next debate. As for Wednesday’s dial-tone performance, for once the New Yorker’s got it right. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I like whistling…..

CW on October 5, 2012 at 7:49 PM

He’s got big ones.

During a rally in Cleveland, Ohio, on Friday, President Obama took his criticism of Mitt Romney’s debate performance a step further, suggesting the GOP nominee’s “tap dance” Wednesday night on his economic plan was better suited for “Dancing with the Stars” or “Extreme Makeover: Debate Edition

Video/Link.

JPeterman on October 5, 2012 at 7:07 PM

They should change the format of the next debate to give Obama 24 hours to come up with his rebuttal. That seems better suited for him.

BlueCollarAstronaut on October 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM

It is truly frightening that these people are allowed to (1) reproduce, and (2) vote.

Dopenstrange on October 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM

“So, they were hugely influenced by the debate then? Because every medium you listed above reported that Romney beat the living hell out of Obama on Wednesday night. But now that’s all forgotten because unemployment went from 8.1% to 7.8% because of a spike in part-time and stay-at-home jobs that don’t pay well and provide no benefits. Just like that. Because you say so. Sure, we believe you…

joejm65 on October 5, 2012 at 7:42 PM”

As I posted before, the debate COULD have mattered greatly if not for being pre-empted by the 7.8 number.

And not because I say so, no. Today’s news coverage was solidly pro-Obama after a single day of terrible coverage. If Gallup all of a sudden shows a tied race and Ras has Romney pull into the lead, and Romney goes ahead in the most important swing states next week after the debate and jobs numbers have had their say, then I was wrong.

But if there was going to be some meaningful Romney surge, Rasmussen polling OH, VA and FL the day after the debate would have caught it. Instead, the movement was very small.

gumbyandpokey on October 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM

“Well maybe you should make an appearance in AP’s latest thread, or do you not understand what is happening in Libya and how your King is lying to you and the rest of the American people.”

The average voter doesn’t care about it when the major networks aren’t giving the story much airtime.

All the whining in the world won’t change things. Only Obama losing will. And he’s not losing.

gumbyandpokey on October 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM

gumbyandpokey on October 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM

You really don’t know how it works do you?

Now tell me about Scott Walker our resident polling expert….

Cw whistles……

CW on October 5, 2012 at 7:54 PM

You responded troll.

BTW what was your prediction about Scott Walker ?

Do tell. I will wait.

CW on October 5, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Maybe he missed it the first time.

I doubt Captain Pole would just ignore the question.

BigWyo on October 5, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Dopenstrange on October 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Don’t you think it should be 1) reproduce 2)reproduce 3) reproduce 4) vote

Australopithecus robustus was more intelligent

theblacksheepwasright on October 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Whistling………..

CW on October 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

What makes me cry is that:

1) They let these people vote,
2) Their vote counts the same as mine.

Bartender!

bigmacdaddy on October 5, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Just for you GumbyOneTrick…..

CW on October 5, 2012 at 8:00 PM

gumbyandpokey on October 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM

But that is where you are wrong, they are reporting on it. Take a walk over to the thread and watch the Jake Tapper/ABC report.

You truly are an idiot.

JPeterman on October 5, 2012 at 8:00 PM

gumbyandpokey on October 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM

More projection.

You’re as simple as they get.

CW on October 5, 2012 at 8:02 PM

CW still whistling………..

CW on October 5, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Gumby just what I thought….you’re an empty suit like Obama.

CW on October 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I don’t care, Obama is awesome!”

Mary in LA on October 5, 2012 at 8:17 PM

heh.

CW on October 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Please tell me BO didn’t actually ask the Debate Commission for permission to use his teleprompter.

Buy Danish on October 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Gumby just what I thought….you’re an empty suit like Obama.

CW on October 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM

And poor gumby still hasn’t appeared in that thread I directed him to. What a dummie.

JPeterman on October 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

JPeterman on October 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

His post about Scott Walker is like his Kryptonite.

CW on October 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM

gumbyandpokey on October 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM

…you know gummeandpokeme…I don’t mind you being an idiot and boring as he11 all the time…since it reminds everybody “what’s out there”!…what I really am curious about is what kind of people hang out with you…are they vegetables?…do you hold their hand everywhere you go or tie your hands together if there is more than two of you?….I was reminded of you today when I stopped at a crosswalk today as 7 or 8 preschoolers crossed the street with their hands bound to each other.

KOOLAID2 on October 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM

KOOLAID2 on October 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM

At least the pre schoolers are innocent and loving rather than a nasty troll.

arnold ziffel on October 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM

CW, you must be whistled out. :)

itsspideyman on October 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Just tell this people the election is January 1st.

diogenes on October 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Q’s for Obama fans:

Tell me why you like him.

Tell me why *I* should like him.

Tell me what his political philosophy is.

Tell me what YOUR political philosophy is.

Do you even know how to SPELL political philosophy?

Cleombrotus on October 5, 2012 at 11:01 PM

True, but average voters decide elections and they are hugely influenced by what they see on tv/newspaper headlines/popular culture.

gumbyandpokey on October 5, 2012 at 7:33 PM

You better hope then they don’t see the cover of next weeks “New Yorker”…
LOL

Strike Hornet on October 5, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I don’t live there, but I really do like Wisconsin. I have (distant) cousins who live there. Nevertheless, if I had any kids, and they had somehow mistakenly been admitted as students at UW-Madison, I would be transferring them post haste to somewhere else.

Anywhere else.

Madison just seems to have a preponderance of whatever it is that Madison has. And until someone convinces me otherwise, I’m not going to assume it’s not contagious.

dissent555 on October 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM

If these people are what passes for college students today, our country is truly screwed. We’ll survive Obama but not these knuckleheads. It is a real shame their mothers did not have access to free abortion services. I feel bad about dissing Sandra Fluke, she was onto something.

SpiderMike on October 5, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I think, for the briefest of moments, the buck actually stopped with BO. First time in his presidency, I believe. By daybreak, his handlers found somebody for him to hand it to.

tdarrington on October 6, 2012 at 8:53 AM

He might as well have been using a teleprompter with a script unrelated to anything in the debate. He kept repeating strings of nonsequitors.

I think Obama was just intimidated. After all Romney is a felon according to Harry Reid. And he tortured St. Seamus. The man is a monster.

CorporatePiggy on October 6, 2012 at 9:07 AM

We are fighting wars for these people? Soldiers are dying for them? Why?

hip shot on October 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I thought Greta was going to lose it last night when Buchanan made fun of the students at her university. Mitt is right we don’t need more teachers, we need better teachers.

Kissmygrits on October 6, 2012 at 9:56 AM

He might as well have been using a teleprompter with a script unrelated to anything in the debate. He kept repeating strings of non sequiturs.

CorporatePiggy on October 6, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Heh. I only listened to a few minutes and my first thought was wow, Obama just screwed up an answer to a question that wasn’t asked. Completely disjointed set of thoughts, like he took some bad acid or something.

And I don’t think he was intimidated so much as he’s an idiot and they removed him from his safe place and put him under a glare that he’s intellectually incapable of managing.

Jaibones on October 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Actually the teleprompters are unionized and don’t do debates, but it would have been swell to allow him to have Valarie and David Axlerod at least hold his hand while he wilted.

Don L on October 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM

What makes me cry is that:

1) They let these people vote,
2) Their vote counts the same as mine.

bigmacdaddy on October 5, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Yup. Bring back the literacy test for voting.

Jaibones on October 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Just like college students everywhere whining that exams should be “open book”.

It shows you cannot think for yourself, especially on your feet in a crunch.

Presidents really, really need to be able to do both very well. Our ambassador to Libya found that out the hard way.

We witnessed the real Obama at the debate.

Unfortunately in 2008 people voted for the color of his skin and not on the content of his character to show that they were not racist.

Well folks in November let’s vote the affirmative action, black bozo out.

Bubba Redneck on October 6, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Anyone else get the feeling that half of those yahoos didn’t even know what a teleprompter was?
I think they just heard the words “unfair” and “Obama”, and their natural inclination to stick up for the creep caused them to say, “Yeah, that was unfair.”

The light is on but nobody’s home.

Sterling Holobyte on October 6, 2012 at 11:47 PM

dissent555 on October 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Madison is a boil on the buttocks of Wisconsin.(To paraphrase something that Charles Emerson Winchester said. ;))

Sterling Holobyte on October 6, 2012 at 11:50 PM

The media lost its cover it had for four years and all because of an hour and a half of uninterrupted unedited TV. The millionaire CEO who donates millions to charity and a very successful businessman tried three times to explain tax rates vs taxes to a man that wouldn’t know economy if it hit him over the head. Mitt has been there before in meetings with company managers and CEO’s, he knows what he’s talking about but the lying left will not hear it and to this day they deny what he tried to tell our narcissist. I do love the unedited TV instead of a talking head telling me what was said.

mixplix on October 7, 2012 at 8:29 PM