Video: Romney comes out swinging on green energy

posted at 10:41 am on October 4, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Since I missed the debate last night, thanks to my school schedule this year, I’ve had to content myself with the transcript and clips of key exchanges between Mitt Romney and Barack Obama.  This one, I believe, is one of the most telling. It features a well-rehearsed zinger from Romney on green energy subsidies — “you don’t pick winners and losers, you only pick losers” — but goes on to make a much larger point about the scope of energy subsidies under Obama:

ROMNEY: … to oil, to tax breaks, then companies going overseas. So let’s go through them one by one.

First of all, the Department of Energy has said the tax break for oil companies is $2.8 billion a year. And it’s actually an accounting treatment, as you know, that’s been in place for a hundred years. Now…

OBAMA: It’s time to end it.

ROMNEY: And in one year, you provided $90 billion in breaks to the green energy world.

Now, I like green energy as well, but that’s about 50 years’ worth of what oil and gas receives. And you say Exxon and Mobil. Actually, this $2.8 billion goes largely to small companies, to drilling operators and so forth.

ROMNEY: But, you know, if we get that tax rate from 35 percent down to 25 percent, why that $2.8 billion is on the table. Of course it’s on the table. That’s probably not going to survive you get that rate down to 25 percent.

But don’t forget, you put $90 billion, like 50 years’ worth of breaks, into — into solar and wind, to Solyndra and Fisker and Tester and Ener1. I mean, I had a friend who said you don’t just pick the winners and losers, you pick the losers, all right? So this — this is not — this is not the kind of policy you want to have if you want to get America energy secure.

The second topic, which is you said you get a deduction for taking a plant overseas. Look, I’ve been in business for 25 years. I have no idea what you’re talking about. I maybe need to get a new accountant.

LEHRER: Let’s…

ROMNEY: But — but the idea that you get a break for shipping jobs overseas is simply not the case.

Romney destroys two canards of the Left: that corporations ship jobs overseas for tax breaks, and that Big Oil gets favorable treatment from government.  Corporations ship jobs overseas because they compete in those markets as domestic producers, and because labor and regulatory burdens are cheaper.  There isn’t a tax break that says “for every 1,000 jobs you export, you get $10 million in tax credits.”

Romney does even better with the green-energy subsidies, comparing them to Obama’s oft-used boogeymen Exxon and Mobile.  The scale for green-energy subsidies is an order of magnitude larger than that of the tax breaks (not subsidies) oil producers get — and as Romney points out, many of them small businesses that produce oil on behalf of or to sell to Exxon, Mobile, and other large entities.  Even if one considers tax breaks a subsidy, the amount of energy produced per subsidy dollar from oil far outstrips that of the green-energy industry.  The latter can’t survive without direct government subsidies, and for decades have promised that mass-produced green energy is just around the corner.  In the meantime, more than a few Obama green-energy subsidy companies have gone out of business and taken taxpayer funds with them.

Government doesn’t pick winners and losers, it only picks losers — because winners don’t need government subsidies to succeed in the first place. It’s not the role of government to intervene in those markets in the first place, which leads us to another good moment for Romney in the debate.  Jim Lehrer asked him to define the role of government, and Romney spent two minutes on this solid response:

The role of government: Look behind us. The Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. The role of government is to promote and protect the principles of those documents.

First, life and liberty. We have a responsibility to protect the lives and liberties of our people, and that means a military second to none. I do not believe in cutting our military. I believe in maintaining the strength of America’s military.

Second, in that line that says we are endowed by our creator with our rights, I believe we must maintain our commitment to religious tolerance and freedom in this country. That statement also says that we are endowed by our creator with the right to pursue happiness as we choose. I interpret that as, one, making sure that those people who are less fortunate and can’t care for themselves are cared by — by one another.

We’re a nation that believes that we’re all children of the same god and we care for those that have difficulties, those that are elderly and have problems and challenges, those that are disabled. We care for them. And we — we look for discovery and innovation, all these things desired out of the American heart to provide the pursuit of happiness for our citizens.

But we also believe in maintaining for individuals the right to pursue their dreams and not to have the government substitute itself for the rights of free individuals. And what we’re seeing right now is, in my view, a — a trickle-down government approach, which has government thinking it can do a better job than free people pursuing their dreams. And it’s not working.

And the proof of that is 23 million people out of work. The proof of that is 1 out of 6 people in poverty. The proof of that is we’ve gone from 32 million on food stamps to 47 million on food stamps. The proof of that is that 50 percent of college graduates this year can’t find work.

“Trickle-down government” is clearly another practiced zinger … and a pretty good one, too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

BOOM! And Romney rounds the bases!

VegasRick on October 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM

BO looked like a scolded child. You’d think he was talking to Michelle and not Mitt.

gatorboy on October 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM

You didn’t post the one where Romney said that all those bankrupt companies were Obama campaign donors. Obama’s grimace there was just priceless.

lorien1973 on October 4, 2012 at 10:45 AM

He also called out Obama’s bundlers and cronies.

John the Libertarian on October 4, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Ouch! It hurt but I’m LOL’ing!

Shy Guy on October 4, 2012 at 10:45 AM

One of Romney’s strongest moments was his defense of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. He really established a stark ideological contrast and one that was visually compelling.

RedRedRice on October 4, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Yes, I enjoyed trickle down government as well. Nice turn of phrase on a favorite democrat line.

lorien1973 on October 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Rombo destroyed, I mean Cannae-destroyed Bark with the $90 billion to green energy remark; Preznit looked as if he was going to start crying.

Bark got shown for the hypocrite he is, and the “you only pick the losers” was an epic slap.

Bishop on October 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM

What I think resonated was the zinger when Mitt said for that 80 billion you spent on loser green energy 100 million teachers could have been hired.

Speakup on October 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Hey Barack Obama, how you liking them chickens… They coming home to roost on you dude

SWalker on October 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM

“Green” energy has been a boondoggle from start to finish, just a scam to fleece taxpayers – it’s just a way to reward cronies and contributers.

Rebar on October 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I always hoped to say this – It reminded me of Reagan.

VegasRick on October 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Joe Biden is saying: “Barack always picks losers?!?”

profitsbeard on October 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I bet Michelle kicked his ass last night, she’s not going to be too happy to move to Hawaii and be out of the spotlight.

Tater Salad on October 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Romney absolutely nailed this one. You could tell he’d done his homework. Hell, I read about this stuff all the time and even I didn’t know that $90 billion figure. About the only place you could nitpick is when he said the solar energy handouts were 50 times the amount of the oil subsidies. Technically it’s closer to 30 times. But like I said, it’s nitpicking.

Doughboy on October 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Thank God for the Tea Party. They provided a Conservative platform for Romney to run on. For a man without a clear political vision, this was critical.

huckleberryfriend on October 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Trickle-down government.

Down-twinkles.

Rixon on October 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

This was clearly the most devastating part of the debate. There was no real one liner or zinger than will be remembered in 20 years but it may be the first debate point that is so on mark it could be mentioned in 20 years. Anyone willing to flush 90 billion dollars down an ultra low-flush toilet to promote “green energy” has absolutely no business ever mentioning how bad any subsidy/tax break is.

Rocks on October 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Last night was fun. Especially the meltdown…

When I saw the debate rerun, when Mitt opened… I thought maybe the POTUS will run over and give him a kiss :-)

antisocial on October 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Here in Gig Harbor WA, the local GOP club and the tea partiers all jammed into the big room at the local Round Table pizza joint to watch on their big screen.

The yelling, cheering, jeering, and hissing was the sweetest sound since jugears’ call to prayer.

And that snark comments yelled out at various times was like an extra cherry on the sundae.

We didn’t all agree on politics but we sure agreed that the debate was a first class butt whupping.

It is over for the jugeared jackass.

platypus on October 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Trickle down totalitarianism.

petefrt on October 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Jim Ed, you may want to move on to another.

redzap on October 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM

The moment I realized Romney was DESTROYING him:

“I’ve been in business for 25 years, and I have no idea what you are talking about.”

Obama is only one platitude deep on any of the issues discussed last night. It’s like his brain was scrambling to compose complete thoughts out of his stump speech snippets and it went terribly bad for him.

Youngs98 on October 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Ed, the correct name for that oil company is ExxonMobil. Exxon and Mobil merged …uh, 15 years ago, I think?

XOM is a perpetual bogeyman because they’re big. In fact, the world’s largest non-state-owned oil company. They make boat loads of money. But that’s because they’re producing/refining/selling boatloads of oil. It’s a business of big numbers.

Mohonri on October 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Joe Biden is saying: “Barack always picks losers?!?”

profitsbeard on October 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

“This Counrty has been a sh!thole for the last 4 years, give me and barak 4 more years and we will show you what WE can do!”

VegasRick on October 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I was thinking walk-off grand slam, 7th game of world series. It was THE MOMENT Barky knew he was in way over his head last night.

hillsoftx on October 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Just a small correction for you. You do realize that Exxon and Mobile are a single company now? Exxon Mobile is a single boogeyman.

Other than that, great article.

CableDude on October 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Cap’n, I hate to be an expropriator. I really do.

But you should consider yourself forewarned that you may well find this quote attached to this video, stapled to every telephone pole on the internet that I can get to over the next five weeks.

JohnGalt23 on October 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM

No winners, ALL crony losers.

Who knew?

FlaMurph on October 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Last night was totally amazing for Romney!

He gets it, he really gets it!

I had my doubts now and then, but wow, did he ever turn the tables on the Louse in da House last night!!

Now he needs to make ‘perfectly clear’ his agenda and how he is gonna pull this nation out of the dumps Obama put us in.

I see big wins for Romney in every coal country state!!

Who in their right mind would vote for 0?

I was glued not just to the tv last night, the comments were flying here last night!

Last night was so damn good!! :-)

Scrumpy on October 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Doughboy on October 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I’m not so sure Romney is wrong even on the 50 times thing. Didn’t he say 50 years worth? I think that may be bait for ill informed leftys to run with. The oil subsidy may be 2.8 billion this year but would have been lower in the past. I would not be surprised if you went an added up the actual figures for the past 50 years that they don’t add up to 90 billion.

Rocks on October 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Mitt was ON FIRE

cmsinaz on October 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Governor Romney has to keep pounding on all the money that little Bammie has blown through on green fantasies. Those are hard hits. We need more tv ads like the old one standing in front of the Solyndra HQ. Do one in front of every one of little Bammie’s f-ups.

slickwillie2001 on October 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Jim Ed, you may want to move on to another.

redzap on October 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM

… topic. Heh.

redzap on October 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM

After watching, I’ve decided Obama’s ears are Pinochio’s nose; they get bigger as he lies.

Tater Salad on October 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I am pretty sure Blightbringer’s college grades will remain in the vault.

hillsoftx on October 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM

CNN: “Does Big Bird need to be on welfare?”

hahahahahaha

faraway on October 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Worst line I think of the debate for Romney.

Self, Immediate Family, Extended Family, Community & Charity, Local Government State Government, Federal Government.

If you are using any of the government spots to care for those that have difficulties, then you are not following the law nor the spirit of those two documents.

astonerii on October 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM

The only thing more delicious than the tears of the left are those of the Republican establishment who thought they crowned one of their own.

I now know that Mitt will win. My only hope is that he continues to piss off the left and the right by embracing Constitutional Conservatism. Just stay as fired up as you were when you responded to “you didn’t build that” and you’ve got it made.

Go Mitt!

Rixon on October 4, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Yeah but the media now tells me that debates rarely make a difference in a race.. Funny yesterday it was the most important thing, You know. For Romney that is…

sandee on October 4, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Video: Romney comes out swinging on green energy

Yeah but Obama absolutely pwned Romney on The View so…

redzap on October 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Alterant Headline-Obama Chokes on the Crap Sandwich He’s Been Feeding to Americans

SailorMark on October 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Alternate…

SailorMark on October 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Tater Salad on October 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I’m pretty sure she prefers Hawaii to Chitcago, -who wouldn’t? It’s the staff of fifty people and the Lobster/Wagyu parties twice a week on our dime that she will miss. When they are out of power they won’t be able to summon the Hollywood types to the royal court for a performance like they do now.

slickwillie2001 on October 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM

CNN is digging deep on Big Bird…

d1carter on October 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM

astonerii on October 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I would agree. The one thing that really made me shake my head was Romney relating “Pursuing Happiness” to government handouts. Is it Romney’s contention that it’s impossible to be or pursue happiness if you are poor? I would not like to see SCOTUS take up that interpretation of “Pursuit of Happiness.”

Rocks on October 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Tater Salad on October 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

“Phone ringing off the hook at the WH from Hawaiian interior decorators.”

dont taze me bro on October 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM

From a strictly visual standpoint, Romney looked like Reagan in 1980, Obama looked like Nixon in 1960.

Obama couldn’t fill the stadium for his acceptance speech this year, and it shows. He doesn’t look like he did four years ago. Back then, he was enjoying conning the American people into voting for an empty vessel. Now he’s on the cusp of getting re-elected, so that he can destroy this country for good. But he also knows that a lot more people are on to him. He’s being chased and he’s not so sure he’ll make it across the border. He’s almost there, but the good guys are closing in behind him, and he looks nervous.

Liberals won’t want to admit this, but Romney looked more virile and more attractive last night. I’ve never found Obama to be particularly good looking. Four years ago, Liberals were swooning over him. That’s because he looked better four years ago, and that much better in contrast with the much older, shorter, war ravaged McCain.

He’s simply “not all that” anymore. And I don’t hear anyone calling him “brilliant” these days. The empty vessel morphed into an empty chair. Here’s hoping that all the Independent voters who voted for him will feel some shame over how badly they were fooled. It’s certainly there in plain sight for them to see.

ardenenoch on October 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM

The Left are all yelling about why Obama didn’t use the 47% or some other nonsense. Wait ’til we get to foriegn policy and public safety, how’s Obam going to explain Jerusalem, Iran, Egypt, dead ambassadors, and F&F.

Tater Salad on October 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM

One of the best comments last night came from twitter, I don’t remember who said it, but it was something to the effect of, Mr President, Fighting a Strawman works, but it doesn’t work when the Strawman is standing right next to you fighting back.

SWalker on October 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Romney destroys two canards of the Left: that corporations ship jobs overseas for tax breaks, and that Big Oil gets favorable treatment from government. Corporations ship jobs overseas because they compete in those markets as domestic producers, and because labor and regulatory burdens are cheaper. There isn’t a tax break that says “for every 1,000 jobs you export, you get $10 million in tax credits.”

Look, my favorite exchange of the night was Romney’s takedown of Obama on the green-energy fiasco. Comparing $2 billion to $90 billion put it in its starkest terms. The election should be over on that point alone.

But Romney’s snarky point about tax breaks for shipping jobs overseas is not correct or, at best, depends on how we define “tax breaks.” If anyone at Hot Air has a background in income tax, chime in. But as far as I know, a U.S. corporation is entitled to deduct ordinary and necessary business expenses. PERIOD. Now, strictly speaking, I don’t know whether the expenses related to transferring operations are (1) immediately deductible, (2) capitalized and deducted as depreciation over a period of years, or (3) simply added to the basis of some asset. Regardless, liberals howl about “tax breaks that companies receive for shipping jobs overseas,” when, as Ed notes, there’s no specific income tax credit for it. At best, all a business is doing is claiming a deduction for a legitimate business expense that it paid and that unquestionably reduces its accounting income for financial reporting purposes and should be considered a deductible expense for federal income tax purposes. That liberals want to arbitrarily deny a deduction for this purpose is riduculous.

What Romney should have said is that maybe if Obama’s tax, environmental, financial, healthcare, and labor policies weren’t so unfriendly, maybe businesses would remain in the U.S.

BuckeyeSam on October 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I can see Rombo politely destroying some junior-grade employee the same way: “You want to do what with our business? I have no idea what you are talking about.”

Bishop on October 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Watching the little poser squirm… watching the expressions of pain on his face when confronted squarely with facts… it was exquisite.

petefrt on October 4, 2012 at 11:01 AM

The empty vessel morphed into an empty chair.

ardenenoch on October 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Can someone photoshop a pic of an empty chair behind that lectern?

Thanks…

JohnGalt23 on October 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I think concerning green energy, the best line from Romney came when he mentioned that the $90 Billion for green energy would have hired 2 million teachers(a pet project of obama and the unions). That is really what hits the kitchen tables and parents see that.

ConservativePartyNow on October 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Bishop on October 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Yep, and Ed Morrissey explains why Government only picks losers in one short, sweet, italicized sentence:

Great line, Ed!

UltimateBob on October 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM

CNN is searching for the narrative today…Dana Bash sounds confused.

d1carter on October 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM

slickwillie2001 on October 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Bark and Mooch will be the herpes virus of former White House occupants, they will insert their negativity into every topic of a GOP presidency.

Bishop on October 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I bet Michelle kicked his ass last night….

Tater Salad on October 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Romney, what is best in life?

SailorMark on October 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Romney sure did kick SCOAMFs back side. Up down across from above down below and seemed to be projecting jabs from positions he was not even standing from…

I think it was when Romney used Clinton to back up his position that Obama looked liked he was about to go Chicago style on Romney, but realized Romney brought the gun and he only had a pillow (someone else said that in another thread).

astonerii on October 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM

astonerii on October 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM

You overlook the fact that the Founding Fathers didnt know they would have to pay for contraception, abortions, school breakfast, lunch and dinner- subsidized housing, heating and transportation. If they knew that then, well…….

They just couldn’t imagine a truly Great Society – by liberal standards.
yep.

FlaMurph on October 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Not a canard at all.

Our corporations DO ship jobs overseas for tax breaks, i.e. breaks from our system of high corporate taxation. Given the standard liberal’s grasp on the English language, tending to take the interpretation that makes them more indignant, that turns into “tax breaks for shipping jobs overseas,” i.e. there is a tax break written into the corporate-controlled tax code that gives them a break on taxes if they stimulate other countries’ economies.

So, not a canard. Just a gross misinterpretation.

mintycrys on October 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Univision – Romney: 1, Obama 0

Wigglesworth on October 4, 2012 at 11:06 AM

CNN is the best TV this morning…

d1carter on October 4, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Even with Jim Lehrer completely in the tank and openly framing answers for Obama to expand on at times, just setting it up for him, Mitt clearly, undeniably, and with seeming ease won this debate. He made it look easy for him. Obama just looked hurt, disappointed, and clearly troubled with trying to fulfill his responsibilities and the expectations on him during the debate.

You don’t just pick winners and losers, you pick the losers, was Mitt’s best line.

Obama’s best was, “If you’re 55 or 54, you might want to pay attention.” It was potent snark and deadly timed. But that was all he had, one off the cuff snap. The rest I found myself not even able to focus on what he was actually saying when he was talking. My brain would just wonder off because it was so unengaging.

Mitt on the other hand look great, sounded competent, and was quick, ready, and wasn’t the one who looked out of his league.

Rack one up for team Romney.

Boomer_Sooner on October 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I thought that this was an extraordinarily strong part of Mitt’s debate. For the first few times I heard him say “green energy….” I was like “Say Solyndra!!!!” and was pleasantly surprised when he finally did when the time was right.

Mitt’s performance last night is the fruit of a long bruising primary season. He was sharp, hardened and factual. He had good command of the content, himself, and certainly of Obama. If this were a prize fight, Mitt went to the body and to the head and Obama landed very few punches.

ted c on October 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Bishop on October 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I loved Romney’s “Look, I’ve got five boys, I’m used to people saying things that aren’t true and hoping I’ll believe it.”

SWalker on October 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Tater Salad on October 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Yeah, for the first time in many years I actually tuned in to MSNBC last night after the debate and saw Rachel Maddow and her panel of childish amateurs wondering why Barry didn’t use the 47% gaffe.

They obviously fail to understand that this debate was about facts, not gaffes.

Although it was sweet to see Romney channel VP Biden and mention that the middle class has been buried for the past 4 years. I loved it!

UltimateBob on October 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM

CNN is searching for the narrative today…Dana Bash sounds confused.

d1carter on October 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM

It’s clear the media doesn’t know what to say and Axelrod hasn’t sent them their new talking points yet.

Tater Salad on October 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Happiest day of my life in the last 4 years.

Finally, the petulant man child prizzy was forced to defend his disastrous record beyond platitudes and talking points. And he failed. Big time!

kevinkristy on October 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM

And for the record, Mitt got the $90 BILLION from the WHITE HOUSE.. hahaha…

1. Clean Energy. A central piece of the ARRA is more than $90 billion in government investment and tax incentives to lay the foundation for the clean energy economy of the future. The CEA’s second quarterly report grouped these clean energy investments into eight sub-categories: $29 billion for Energy Efficiency, including $5 billion to pay for energy efficiency retrofits in low-income homes; $21 billion for Renewable Generation, such as the installation of wind turbines and solar panels; $10 billion for Grid Modernization to develop the so-called “smart grid” that will involve sophisticated electric meters, high-tech electricity distribution and transmission grid censors, and energy storage; $6 billion to support domestic manufacturing of advanced batteries and other components of Advanced Vehicles and Fuels Technologies; $18 billion for Traditional Transit and High-Speed Rail; $3 billion to fund crucial research, development, and demonstration of Carbon Capture and Sequestration technologies; $3 billion for Green Innovation and Job Training to invest in the science, technology, and workforce needed for a clean energy economy; and about $2 billion in Clean Energy Equipment Manufacturing tax credits that will partner with private investment to increase our capacity to manufacture wind turbines, solar panels, electric vehicles, and other clean energy components domestically.13

gatorboy on October 4, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Speakup on October 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM

It was a great remark, but I think Romney said that with $90 billion he could have hired 2 million teachers (at $45,000 each). You can’t hire teachers for $800 per year–they could make more flipping burgers.

Steve Z on October 4, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Bark was ruined near the end with “Ok well hold on now, just one more minute, let me just tell you a little story about this one guy…”

Even Lehrer was rolling his eyes.

Bishop on October 4, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Owned. That really all there is to say.

As a Palin fan and supporter, I am so pleasantly surprised that Romney took President Zero to the wood shed. I didn’t think he could do it and he did far better than I thought. Obama was so unprepared and looked pathetic. I love it!

rightConcept on October 4, 2012 at 11:10 AM

On nearly every occasion, when Romney responded to a talking point, he said exactly what I was thinking, except on this one. He went far beyond what I was expecting here, and it was devastating.

Vashta.Nerada on October 4, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Romney:

I think it’s not just an economic issue, I think it’s a moral issue. I think it’s, frankly, not moral for my generation to keep spending massively more than we take in, knowing those burdens are going to be passed on to the next generation and they’re going to be paying the interest and the principal all their lives.

And the amount of debt we’re adding, at a trillion a year, is simply not moral.

Now if he would just push for the Balanced Budget Amendment. I could actually vote FOR him instead of Against Obama and his 1.4 billions rounds of domestic suppression ammo…

astonerii on October 4, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Tater Salad on October 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Axelrod and Cutter are on suicide watch. The meds need to be increased.

BacaDog on October 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM

BuckeyeSam on October 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM

There’s 2 more debates for that – and Super Mitt will seal the deal and convince you.

Not be critical of these guys, but Santorum, Newt, etc. – Nobody can do this the way Romney can. He is the embodiment of American success.

FlaMurph on October 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Rack one up for team Romney.

Boomer_Sooner on October 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Not only that but Obama would ramble incoherently and cover 5 or 6 topics, and Mitt would keep track of all of them and come back and destroy Obama’s points one by one, eventually in desperation Jim Lerher took to interrupting Romney to keep the carnage at a minimum.

SWalker on October 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Will be watching tingles tonight

Lol

cmsinaz on October 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Tater Salad on October 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Israel- I got OBL.
Egypt- I got OBL.
Libya and dead ambassadors- I got OBL.
F&F- I think you can guess.

Happy Nomad on October 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM

ConservativePartyNow on October 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM

That was pretty devastating. When you start to equate all this money Obama’s p-ssed away with examples of how it could’ve been used more efficiently(and use Obama’s own proposals like hiring teachers), that connects with voters on every part of the political spectrum.

Doughboy on October 4, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Romney, what is best in life?

SailorMark on October 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Best line evah.

Goldenavatar on October 4, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Great point and analysis, Ed, but unfortunately leftist canards are like Dracula and they never really die. But without question Romney did a great job on this and I only hope the message got through to the voters!

jwolf on October 4, 2012 at 11:15 AM

$20 they blame John Kerry.

Ben Hur on October 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Pay up.

Michael Moore rants about Obama’s debate, blames John Kerry

Ben Hur on October 4, 2012 at 11:15 AM

This is freakin hilarious.

Al Gore blames Obama performance on Denver’s altitude.

BacaDog on October 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Jimmy Carter went to bed early, secure in the warmth that he has been succeeded as the worst president ever.

BobMbx on October 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Obama didn’t go after Romney on tax returns, 47%, and Bain because he didn’t want Romney to successfully defend himself against those attacks in front of a huge audience including undecided voters. Obama doesn’t want the effectiveness of those ads diminished in swing states.

Wigglesworth on October 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Israel- I got OBL.
Egypt- I got OBL.
Libya and dead ambassadors- I got OBL.
F&F- I think you can guess.

Happy Nomad on October 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I got Brain Terry?

jwolf on October 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM

ConservativePartyNow on October 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Doughboy on October 4, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Works well in this respect, but the reality is that it would have been far superior to have said hired your 100,000 math and science teachers and paid for them for 20 years… Hiring 2 million people for only 1 year is lame and a thinking person will see it as such. I did immediately.

astonerii on October 4, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Rack one up for team Romney.

Boomer_Sooner on October 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM

There was only one adult on that stage last night. Obama looked petty and annoyed that the nation just didn’t hand him a second term.

Happy Nomad on October 4, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Its a different time now, 1980 was a long time ago, we have China and Muslims to deal with- but in his own way……………

Romney IS a version of Reagan for today, decency and leadership-

Romney is – Reagan 3.97

FlaMurph on October 4, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Man, I think everyone at HotAir took the day off or something.. Very few articles today, and only two about the debate. I am a fan of Ed, but his claiming he couldn’t watch the debate due to school obligations is WEAK. TiVo? How about watching one of the MANY full-length debate videos available, one of which in the first HotAir post about the debate. What the H? Get with it, Ed!

Hannibal on October 4, 2012 at 11:17 AM

This is freakin hilarious.

Al Gore blames Obama performance on Denver’s altitude.

BacaDog on October 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM

And then is he going to blame that on global warming?

jwolf on October 4, 2012 at 11:18 AM

“Way back!! Way Back!! And that one is gone!” The Obumbler and his smug face was slapped silly last night! He’s going to make an excellent EX-president! Just a wonderful EX-president!

Tbone McGraw on October 4, 2012 at 11:19 AM

This is only round one folks. Obummers handlers are already in damage control and they have proven that even the loss in American lives in Libya are not enough to stop them. They will do ANYTHING to re elect Obummer. If that happens America as we know it will be finished. The lugnuts on his campaign may be loose but the wheels have not come off, yet!

LeftCoastRight on October 4, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Not a canard at all.

So, not a canard. Just a gross misinterpretation.

mintycrys on October 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Way more than corporate taxation, businesses are also leaving because of government regulation like Frankendodd, ‘necessarily skyrocketing’ energy costs, the guillotine hanging over them called Obamacare, the specter of cap and trade, the EPA and NLRB, greedy union card-check and lack of ‘right to work’, illegal acts like the shafting of Chrysler bondholders, etc, etc.

I honestly don’t know why far more aren’t leaving.

slickwillie2001 on October 4, 2012 at 11:19 AM

This is freakin hilarious.

Al Gore blames Obama performance on Denver’s altitude.

BacaDog on October 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I think this means we win.

BobMbx on October 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Obama may now have to release his college transcripts; not to prove his citizenship, but to prove he actually went to college.

Tater Salad on October 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM