Video: “A Good Day to Die Hard” trailer

posted at 8:43 pm on October 4, 2012 by Allahpundit

As a change of pace after so many debate posts, I thought we’d all enjoy a palate cleanser that involved less destructive ass-kicking than we saw last night. So here’s the new “Die Hard” trailer.

This one takes place in Russia, a country that’s a good 20 years removed from serving as a compelling enemy in action flicks but will do just fine for the pure mindless-mayhem fun of a “Die Hard” sequel. If the “Red Dawn” remake can get away with swapping North Korea in for China, then Russia can pinch hit for Al Qaeda, I guess. As for McClane, he’s pushing 60 and the guy with the shotgun next to him on the floor near the end of the clip is his full-grown son — and if that makes you feel old, “Die Hard” fans, it should. Even so, this is welcome news: There are enough explosions in these 60 seconds alone to guarantee that the movie will be “good,” and the fact that Willis is extending the shelf life of the McClane character fills me with hope that we might yet someday see a crossover flick featuring him, Stallone as Rambo, and Schwarzenegger as the Terminator. It’d be campy as hell, and the three of them would need walkers to get around the set by the time it gets made, but it’d be an 80s nostalgia reverie like nothing else. It needs to happen. If the world had to suffer through bad crossovers like “Freddy vs. Jason” and “Alien vs. Predator,” the least Hollywood can do to make it up to us is give us “Terminator 5: Second Blood Dies Hardest.”

Comments

Sparks and yelling, my kind of film

Rio Linda Refugee on October 4, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Another Die Hard flick, why the hell not. Just hope that it doesn’t lead to more spontaneous mob hits in Libya or beyond.

TXUS on October 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Can’t get enough John McClane.

john1schn on October 4, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Bruce Willis? Didn’t he say something snarky and ridiculous about Romney? Oh, yes. For Esquire “…. a disappointment and an embarrassment.’

Not interested.

thatsafactjack on October 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM

R-rating or no sale!

Doughboy on October 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Plainfield gets a shout-out. Onie Sciaracco must be in heaven…

JohnGalt23 on October 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM

“Terminator 5: Second Blood Dies Hardest.”

Isn’t that called the Expendables?

trubble on October 4, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Well we did get Expendable 2, which was actually pretty funny and entertaining.

brak on October 4, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Not interested.

thatsafactjack on October 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM

He did? Damn, always thought he was a conservative, bummer.

ccrosby on October 4, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Sorry O/T but Todd Aikin just cut his own throat and lost the MO senate seat.

Aikin doesn’t report 10 years worth of pension income.

Charlemagne on October 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I love Willis, he is a decent actor but his politics are fantastic. I will watch the film just for that.

the new aesthetic on October 4, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Yippee Via-Gra

faraway on October 4, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Not interested.

thatsafactjack on October 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Oh cr*p, I spoke too soon. Well, he must be trying to get in with Demi’s good graces again since the boy-child dumped her.

the new aesthetic on October 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Have to admit this sort of politically correct nonsense is a big turn off for me. If it wasn’t white South African back in the day, capitalist villains, or neo-nazi’s, then its Russians…but rarely if ever communists.

Movie looks like it might be OK if it doesn’t try to do a comedy routine.

sharrukin on October 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Could call on their part setting it in Russia. Lots more toys to blow things up with.

Count to 10 on October 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM

He did? Damn, always thought he was a conservative, bummer.

ccrosby on October 4, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Because there’s no way a conservative wouldn’t like a big government liberal.

sharrukin on October 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM

TXUS on October 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM

loool :-)

jimver on October 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM

A Good Day to Die Hard

Was this about last night’s debate?

faraway on October 4, 2012 at 8:59 PM

the new aesthetic on October 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM

normally he is a republican, but he did say that of romney in Esquire…

jimver on October 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I’d rather see a David Addison and Maddie Hayes redux.

Fallon on October 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Not interested.

thatsafactjack on October 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Romney will be a disappointment and an embarrassment. It won’t take too long to find that out after January when he’s seated as President. Otherwise, isn’t February a bad month for movies to come out?

rickv404 on October 4, 2012 at 9:02 PM

….blow’d up good, blow’d up real good.

Sheesh.

SteveMG on October 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Because there’s no way a conservative wouldn’t like a big government liberal.

sharrukin on October 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM

None that I know.

If you know some, I’d love to have a conversation with them. I’m guessing I wouldn’t come away from that conversation with the that impression.

ccrosby on October 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM

OT: 8.2% expected???

faraway on October 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Not interested.

thatsafactjack on October 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM

If he was talking about Romney on the stump prior to the debates, there is some credence to that. I was disappointed in him too. I thought I was witnessing Juan McLame II. I’m encouraged by the debate last night, but I still want him to transfer that energy to the campaign in general.

predator on October 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Not interested.

thatsafactjack on October 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM

He did? Damn, always thought he was a conservative, bummer.

ccrosby on October 4, 2012 at 8:51 PM

What did he say?
Criticizing Romney doesn’t mean he’s not conservative. We’re not Democrats. We don’t march in lockstep without thinking for ourselves.
I have plenty of criticism of Romney myself. I didn’t like a lot of what he said last night.

single stack on October 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Who cares if he doesn’t like Romney?

What is this the friggin’ Politboro? Who’s the Minister of Ideology that enforces the right views?

Sheesh, sometimes this stuff is ridiculous.

SteveMG on October 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Willis is a lefty?

Well wasn’t he married to that stripper movie star…..Demi Kutcher?

PappyD61 on October 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Sorry O/T but Todd Aikin just cut his own throat and lost the MO senate seat.

Aikin doesn’t report 10 years worth of pension income.

Charlemagne on October 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I’m now convinced he’s working for the other side. Sue me.

The Mega Independent on October 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Oh please no.

Tim_CA on October 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Clarification:..I like Bruce Willis alot..But another Die Hard Movie??!!??..Really??!!?..:)

Dire Straits on October 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

What did he say?

single stack on October 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I agree, nobody criticizes conservatives like other conservatives (to our detriment sometimes, I think).

But we have very few in Hollywierd willing to speak up for conservatism, it’s just disappointing IMHO.

ccrosby on October 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Willis is a lefty?

PappyD61 on October 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Bruce Willis Under Fire for not Being a Liberal Guy

Actor Bruce Willis, however, openly admits he voted for President Bush.

WILLIS: I do have contrary opinions about it. You know, small government, yes. Less taxes, yes. Less government intrusion, yes.

sharrukin on October 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

single stack on October 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I spoke for myself. You’re entitled to do the same. I never said anything like what you’re suggesting. I never suggested you think or do anything. If you want to know the entirety of what he had to say on the subject, look it up and read the interview yourself.

thatsafactjack on October 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Another Die Hard flick, why the hell not.

TXUS on October 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM

At this point….would McClane have ANY friends?

Everywhere this guy goes, carnage and mayhem follow.

(I always wondered the same thing about the “murder she wrote” lady…why would anybody get within 100 miles of her?)

Tim_CA on October 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Opens Feb. 14, Valentine’s Day. Maybe the lady can take me out for a V-Day treat.

mydh12 on October 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Sorry O/T but Todd Aikin just cut his own throat and lost the MO senate seat.

Aikin doesn’t report 10 years worth of pension income.

Charlemagne on October 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Read the article. Apparently he’s had to amend his taxes previously as he didn’t report income.

Those who figured he’d screw up again and make his situation worse please line up to the left for your gold star and cookie.

kim roy on October 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Bruce Willis visited my camp in Kuwait during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Put on a show that I didn’t attend, but my fellow Marines enjoyed.

I’ll go watch his movie.

Hog Wild on October 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Hog Wild on October 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

So will I, and thank you for your service.

predator on October 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM

At this point….would McClane have ANY friends?

Everywhere this guy goes, carnage and mayhem follow.

Tim_CA on October 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

ROTFLMAO… I have actually asked that question several time before about Jessica Fletcher (Angela Lansbury) who in their right mind would hang out with someone who has dead bodies pile up around them like cords of wood in Minnesota in the winter?

SWalker on October 4, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Who’s the Minister of Ideologiocy that enforces the right views?

Sheesh

SteveMG on October 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

fixed

cableguy615 on October 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM

OT: Dan Rather on MSNBC saying that Obama didn’t have time to prepare for the debate.

Dan, is always makin stuff up, huh?

NBC’s Peter Alexander: Obama Has Prepared More For This Debate Than Any Sitting President

faraway on October 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I’ll go watch his movie.

Hog Wild on October 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

The Obama supporters and his media tools tonight are probably remembering Willis’ line in another movie, Pulp Fiction, “Zed’s dead”.

Semper Fi, and thank you for your service.

TXUS on October 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM

For those wondering about Willis’ political affiliation, I’ll let him speak for himself. Willis for Esquire.

thatsafactjack on October 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM

….blow’d up good, blow’d up real good.

SteveMG on October 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I miss Second City TV

mdenis39 on October 4, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Years ago, at the beginning of the Super-Hero-Rage, I suggested a film about Super Hero’s Old Folks’ Home or Super Heroes living the elderly years out in an old folks home for Super Heroes.

Imagine the food fights and complaints…

Suddenly, they manage to raise the Home to unearth the underground Super Laboratory just in time to save the world. Or something…

Lourdes on October 4, 2012 at 9:41 PM

thatsafactjack on October 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Wow, he wants a smaller government? What kind of a sicko is he? /

sharrukin on October 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM

thatsafactjack on October 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Yes, he’s a confusing guy. He was sold to consumers as “a Republican” by various media, then when McCain-Obama began, Willis made a live on-air appearance on some morning show and stared straight into the camera and said, quite gravely, “I.am.NOT.a.Republican.”

Believable he was with that.

Then the Esquire remarks damning Romney.

So, I’d say Willis is another talented actor. We’re left to appreciat and praise his hero-role-playing but in reality, we don’t know who he is as to his beliefs except what he has to say about them. Contradictions in entertainers’ beliefs, opinions and values are part of their careers, apparently, while they act out on screen as other people.

Lourdes on October 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Why are we subjected to endless crappy sequels to crappy orginal movies with poor dialogue, poor story, characters you wanna personnally put out of their misery? The Chinese and Indians make better movies than we do now. God awful.

paulsur on October 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM

thatsafactjack on October 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Wow, he wants a smaller government? What kind of a sicko is he? /

sharrukin on October 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM

He sounds mostly like a Liberal who wants a smaller government, which are two self-contradictory perspectives. All those Liberal social wants and demands are contingent upon an government action that forces compliance. Thus, big government is necessary when you want and demand all that Leftwing “do whatever you want but don’t block my view or refuse me.”

Lourdes on October 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM

sharrukin on October 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Why are you arguing with me, Sharrukin? I merely posted the link to Willis’ own opinions on politics. If you have a complaint, take it up with him.

thatsafactjack on October 4, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Why are we subjected to endless crappy sequels to crappy orginal movies…

paulsur on October 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Box Office draw based upon the original story and characters and the necessity of creating ongoing expenses (or, deductions from the draw).

I agree about the bane of sequels. I also can’t stand the endless “remakes”.

Films are great on their own and trying to redraw the story and characters with sequels and remakes is quite insulting to the original literature, regardless of technical improvements or not, the whole “remake, sequel” genres just insult and offend the originals.

Lourdes on October 4, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Why are we subjected to endless crappy sequels to crappy orginal movies…

paulsur on October 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I agree about the bane of sequels. I also can’t stand the endless “remakes”.

Lourdes on October 4, 2012 at 9:51 PM

ON THE OTHER HAND, there ARE some stories that are created in film AS longer tales that can be revealed in the first edition…so those films that are made as “editions” of a story and character/s work for the most part as “sequels” of sorts, good ones.

I just don’t like the “remakes” of great films. They’re great films in the original, why remake them if not to try to exploit the original accomplishment?

Lourdes on October 4, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Lourdes on October 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM

There are lots of libertarians who are the same way. I haven’t seen him arguing for more social programs or bigger government so I assume he’s not a Republican or a liberal, just a conservative, or possibly a libertarian.

sharrukin on October 4, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Semper Fi, and thank you for your service.

TXUS on October 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Semper Fi brother.

Hog Wild on October 4, 2012 at 10:14 PM

If they rate it PG13 in another lame attempt to get the pimply faced mouth breathers they can kiss my (#*…

BigWyo on October 4, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Lourdes on October 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM

sharrukin on October 4, 2012 at 9:54 PM

1) Sharrukin, you come off as a dbag.

2) IIRC Willis supported Bush 41 in 88 and 92, even showed up at the RNC a few times if memory of reading about it serves. In recent years he seems to always stress that he has beliefs that are both left and right…I think he has a habit of trying to stress to the media/people that he’s not a rightie…probably trying to make his life easier in Hollywood.

jaygatz33 on October 4, 2012 at 10:34 PM

1) Sharrukin, you come off as a dbag.

jaygatz33 on October 4, 2012 at 10:34 PM

GFY

sharrukin on October 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM

1) Sharrukin, you come off as a dbag.

jaygatz33 on October 4, 2012 at 10:34 PM

GFY

sharrukin on October 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Choice

ghostwalker1 on October 4, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Sorry O/T but Todd Aikin just cut his own throat and lost the MO senate seat.

Aikin doesn’t report 10 years worth of pension income.

Charlemagne on October 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Dafuq is this guy? Must be a plant.

WeekendAtBernankes on October 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I’ve read several interviews with Bruce Willis over the years and he always comes across as a libertarian and a cynic. I don’t think he said anything particularly egregious in the Esquire article, and in fact, I pretty much agree with his sentiments. I LOL’d at the “Dash Riprock of the Republican party” quip.
I think Romney is a good man; honest and generous. I also think he’s way too far left for my liking.
On November 6 I won’t be voting for Romney. I’ll be voting for NotObama.

single stack on October 5, 2012 at 12:05 AM

doesn’t matter…as long as Sammy L isn’t in THIS one, we good.

Bring on the firepower!

BlaxPac on October 5, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Bruce Willis is still an action hero?

Is any more proof needed that America stopped after Generation X? Gen Y, Millennials, and whoever the hell else came next you participation trophy gettin’ fools, you suck. I am ashamed that Metallica could sh!t kick any band walking. I mean damn it really is pathetic…

And yeah I’m going to see this Thursday night.

Theworldisnotenough on October 5, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Why Hotair is my homepage:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Theworldisnotenough on October 5, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Tim_CA on October 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM
SWalker on October 4, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I loved Murder, She Wrote, and I’m with you–I used to say that if Jessica Fletcher showed up, I’d be on the first train out of town.

(I have seized upon the only comments I can respond to, because I have never seen a Die Hard movie).

DrMagnolias on October 5, 2012 at 5:08 AM

Just saw Looper today. Awesome flick. Best Bruce Willis movie in a long time imho.

D-Bar on October 5, 2012 at 6:03 AM

Works for me.

sdbatboy on October 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM

DrMagnolias on October 5, 2012 at 5:08 AM

You haven’t missed much. Just a lot of violence with little story of interest. Willis is only slightly better than Schwarzeneggar.

rickv404 on October 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM

The first red dawn was against the soviets ( and some central americans)…Chinese what???

tlynch001 on October 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM

It was Soviets and Cubans.

single stack on October 5, 2012 at 4:52 PM

LOVE his movies, and this line is my favorite of his! And Heck yeah we need the crossover flick! That’d be gratuitously awesome!

Minorcan Maven on October 9, 2012 at 8:32 PM