Report: National magazine preparing “blockbuster” scandal story on Obama campaign donations

posted at 9:27 pm on October 4, 2012 by Allahpundit

If the term “Doodad Pro” means anything to you, none of this will come as a surprise.

President Obama reelection campaign, rattled by his Wednesday night debate performance, could be in for even worse news. According to knowlegable sources, a national magazine and a national web site are preparing a blockbuster donor scandal story.

Sources told Secrets that the Obama campaign has been trying to block the story. But a key source said it plans to publish the story Friday or, more likely, Monday.

According to the sources, a taxpayer watchdog group conducted a nine-month investigation into presidential and congressional fundraising and has uncovered thousands of cases of credit card solicitations and donations to Obama and Capitol Hill, allegedly from unsecure accounts, and many from overseas. That might be a violation of federal election laws.

If the term “Doodad Pro” doesn’t mean anything to you, get up to speed so that you have the background needed to appreciate this new story if/when it drops. Start with Patrick Ruffini’s post from the end of the 2008 campaign explaining how lax security on Obama’s campaign donation website created an opportunity for fraudulent donations. The Washington Post picked up the story a few days later, reporting that the campaign not only was accepting money from untraceable prepaid credit cards but that it “had chosen not to use basic security measures to prevent potentially illegal or anonymous contributions from flowing into its accounts, aides acknowledged.” Team O’s defense at the time was that they preferred to manually eliminate any bogus donations that flowed in by scrutinizing their books afterward and rejecting the ones that looked suspicious. Why they’d prefer a time-consuming process like that when they could screen donations before they were accepted with online security measures, as many other campaigns do, wasn’t clear.

Fast-forward four years, when the campaign once again had to decide which measures to take to prevent online donation fraud. Time to learn a lesson and institute front-end screening? Apparently not: A video posted to YouTube in April suggested that they’d disabled their donation security measures again. (The measures may since have been reinstated. I’m not going to donate to find out.) No way to tell yet if this sort of thing is what the forthcoming scandal story is about, but the description in the excerpt sure sounds familiar. And if it is the same thing, then it’s essential to understand that people have been complaining about it for years. Team O is fully aware of the objections by now; if it’s still happening, it’s because they didn’t care enough to stop it. And if I’m wrong about all this and the story has to do with some entirely different donation scam, well, that’s even more interesting. To raise $150 million in a month, you need an awful lot of donors. And we know that when it comes to donors, Obama’s not picky.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Hmm

Conservative4ev on October 4, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Doodad pro says what?

lorien1973 on October 4, 2012 at 9:29 PM

The most transparent administration evah!

predator on October 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM

What’s a national magazine?

schmitty on October 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM

And this will turn into a nothinburger. Watch.

Philly on October 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM

rogerb, I’m waiting for you to repost my comment on money in politics. What hole are you hiding in?

lester on August 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM

rogerb on October 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Heh

gophergirl on October 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Not surprised in the least…

O lies cheats and will continue to steal… it’s his M.O.

Scrumpy on October 4, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Guess the magazine!

I’ll go with “Reader’s Digest”. I can’t imagine anyone else doing it.

SouthernGent on October 4, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I’m savoring every moment of this.

You-Eh-Vee on October 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM

It better not be some freak “magazine” which posts supposed photos of alien babies, talking cats, and people who claim to be 200 years old.

Bishop on October 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Better do it right national magazine. If Obama wins he will destroy you.

forest on October 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM

It’ll probably be something like the American Spectator…

gumbyandpokey on October 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Seriously ?

Fchuck and the boys are laughing their a$$es off at this – they were able to bury the stories of needlessly murdered Americans in Lybia – and you think this will be some kind of bomb shell ?

Get a clue.
The media is running this show.

Move along, nothing anyone needs to see here.

FlaMurph on October 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Maybe its about those clooney fundraisers overseas, which certainly didnt sound legal.

lorien1973 on October 4, 2012 at 9:36 PM

This would be a non story only because every scandal involving O has been stamped out by the media and his machine however with the last few days of campaign implosion and a media still in shock, it may just be one of many straws that finally break the back of his messiah-ship.

katy on October 4, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Obama thinks laws are for other people, just more proof of how super scary smart he is.

jukin3 on October 4, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Tried to stick this on him four years ago and it did not stick Nothing Burger is probably right! Romney needs to just continue to hammer him on his poor record!

Momma on October 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Guess the magazine!

I’ll go with “Reader’s Digest”. I can’t imagine anyone else doing it.

SouthernGent on October 4, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Maybe US News & World Report? Certainly not Obamaweek, and Time is a real longshot. Of course, there’s always the National Enquirer. They made fools of the MSM on the John Edwards case.

jwolf on October 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM

And this will turn into a nothinburger. Watch.

Philly on October 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM

It’s hard to say… I mean this should have been a big deal during the last election and it wasn’t. However, I think it’s fair to say that a lot of things have changed since 2008. Obama is no longer the cool guy. Popularity and wanting to be “historic” sort of goes out the window when people are struggling to get by.

MobileVideoEngineer on October 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Don’t have to actually donate. Go to their donation page/form. All they require is credit card number and expiration date, no security code. So, no, they have not reinstated AVS protections.

Stu Gotts on October 4, 2012 at 9:38 PM

But but but…he can’t control who sends him money…so the MSM will say, or something of that nature. Law breaking hasn’t stopped him before

Jackalope on October 4, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Bishop on October 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Our political system has already been sold out. If anyone didn’t notice, Romney went into states where his poll numbers lagged throughout the nomination process and literally bought primaries to the dismay of his opponents with smaller bank accounts.
I wouldn’t mind another ‘scandal’, if that’s even possible given all the untraceable SuperPAC money in the system, to remind voters that serious reforms are needed.

bayam on October 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM

This is exactly what happened 4 years ago, same campaign laws were broken and nothing was done What is different now ? Oh I see, we have a more exacting AG now, who will be all other this, as soon as he wraps us that “fast and furious” business.

runner on October 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Oh this should f*cking hurt. I love it.

By the way, people, now is not the time to become complacent. We are, after all, fighting, not only Obama, but the majority of the nation’s news organizations, unions, newspapers, websites and the moochers. So I plead to all of my fellow conservatives/libertarians/Reagan/Romney Democrats, please give.

Give just $15. Show Romney that we appreciated his epic performance against the “smartest man in the world”. Obama was Mitt Slapped last night!

d o n a t e

And as far as this, yet, another upcoming scandal for the thug-in-thief, you reap what you sow m*therf*cker!!

the new aesthetic on October 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Shhhhhhhhhh Cosmopolitan…. ;-}

Scrumpy on October 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM

That might be a violation of federal election laws.

So? Obama is the law. If he says it’s legal, it’s legal.

JellyToast on October 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I did a test $5 donation back in 2008 to see if they really were as lax as people were saying. Yes, they were. I used a credit card in my name, but used a different name, address, etc. in the billing info. Really different, as in my name was “Not Real, I Am”. Similar garbage for the address. They took my donation, no questions asked.

To their credit, I did receive a refund for the donation credited back to my account, but about 2 months after the election. In the meantime, they could count it toward their totals in the run-up to the election (I know, it’s only $5). But they could also count it among the many “small donations” they were getting at the time, something they were really touting as “grassroots”.

Anyone else try this with a fake name and (eventually) get their money returned?

JoelD on October 4, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Maybe US News & World Report?

jwolf on October 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM

U.S. News & World Report is no longer really a magazine. Its web site is still in operation, but they only publish a few special issues in print each year, like “America’s Best Hospitals” or “America’s Best Colleges.” Unlike Time and Newsweek, they realized a couple of years ago that there was no longer much of a market for a magazine with last week’s news in it.

J.S.K. on October 4, 2012 at 9:41 PM

It’ll probably be something like the American Spectator…

gumbyandpokey on October 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM

It sure wouldn’t be Gay Times…

Electrongod on October 4, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Speaking of donating, I wanted to purchase the new Romney Tee with Biden on the front and my CC was denied!

At least they are doing it right.

I do not know why my CC would be denied…

Scrumpy on October 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM

A few weeks ago I donated $5 to Obama under a bogus name and address. The donation went through perfectly.

He is doing exactly what he did in 2008.

Nicole Coulter on October 4, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Bishop on October 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Hope it’s National Enquirer, who’s done more real journalism than all the lap dog media combined. Devil with a blue dress on, the Edwards ick, you name it. Doubt, of course, we’re talking Time or Newsweek here.

TXUS on October 4, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Doodad pro says what?

lorien1973 on October 4, 2012 at 9:29 PM

What?

Tim_CA on October 4, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Providence will not allow this man to be POTUS again.

mitchellvii on October 4, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Bishop on October 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Hey, enquiring minds want to know.

davidk on October 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Stu Gotts on October 4, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Avs is more than the security code. Its address verification and IP address matching too. Lots of sites dont require ityet, cuz so many people cannot figure out where it is on thd card.

lorien1973 on October 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM

If it’s the National Enquirer Obama is the new Silky Pony.

batterup on October 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on October 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I want to believe that, but alas, the deck is still stacked in his favor. The press will protect him, and that means ganging up on Mitt in the following debates and ignoring Barry’s sins. They are on his side.

Philly on October 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Guess the magazine!

I’ll go with “Reader’s Digest”. I can’t imagine anyone else doing it.

SouthernGent on October 4, 2012 at 9:33 PM

“People Magazine.”
J/K.

predator on October 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Lets see what National Magazine isn’t owned by libs? Wonder what team Obama has done to “try and stop this?”

mitchellvii on October 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Providence will not allow this man to be POTUS again.

mitchellvii on October 4, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Providence care not a wit for the foolish affairs of mere mortal men.

SWalker on October 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I just went to donate at King Obama’s website. First of all, you cannot donate less than $3.00 and they are not asking for that security code before you hit the “donate” button.

When I donated to Romney, that function was mandatory.

Is that the problem you guys are talking about? Shall I see if my family can donate from Slovakia?

JPeterman on October 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM

We’re not talking about a few dollars here folks, it’s potentially in the millions and from foreigners who might not even be considered “friends” of the U.S. I think Ed posted a few stories about the “open credit card” fiasco, (as did myself), when it became apparent that Obama’s money-train was exploding. And of course, the liberal media never reported a word about it. My exit question is: Is this President not only guilty of these illegal monetary transactions in 2008, but is he possible still doing it TODAY?

Rovin on October 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Funny. Growing up, The National Enquirer was a joke and not taken seriously, however they have proven that they are many times better then the putrid media that we are stuck with in this country. I bet it’s The National Enquirer.

the new aesthetic on October 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM

BOMBSHELL — TO BE DISCLOSED ON HANNITY

– IN 3 HOURS

oh wait… nevermind

pffftttt

faraway on October 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM

CRAP possible=possibly

Rovin on October 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Bishop on October 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I’m going with “High Times” since it’s the only “National Magazine” left… ;p

SWalker on October 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Joe Buzzkill here. If Fast and Furious, Solyndra, and so many other things including crap from 08 didn’t matter, this won’t either.

Hope I am wrong. Starting to think Obama could be sending out dik pics over the computer and people would say “It’s between him and Michelle.”

arnold ziffel on October 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Hey, AllahPundit, Burge is reading HotAir.

He just tweeted:

David Burge‏@iowahawkblog

“Doodad Pro” #TermsYouWillSoonBeFamilarWith

davidk on October 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Unfortunately I”m betting the magazine and website are one in the same: National Review.

I say “unfortunately” because that will enable the MSM to feel like they can ignore it.

Dark horse magazine/website prediction: Newsweek/Daily Beast

strictnein on October 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Shall I see if my family can donate from Slovakia?

JPeterman on October 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM

No, only America-hating places have this feature…

faraway on October 4, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Rolling Stone?

Scrumpy on October 4, 2012 at 9:47 PM

“The Bitter Clinger Quarterly”

predator on October 4, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Report: National magazine preparing “blockbuster” scandal story on Obama

that’s what you promised about Hannity’s Obama video.

mdenis39 on October 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM

At least they are doing it right.

I do not know why my CC would be denied…

Scrumpy on October 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I just tried donating last night and was denied as well. I emailed the site and they answered back something to the effect that sometimes it doesn’t go through and you have to exit out completely, and start over from beginning with a “clean” form. I tried few minutes later and it worked.

Braveheart on October 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM

So this year are the Phone Banks run by the Muslim Brotherhood?

batterup on October 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I thought it was George Magazine :)

Conservative4ev on October 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Nigerian Banking Magazine

faraway on October 4, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Braveheart on October 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I shall try again later then! Thank You!!!

Sports Illustrated…

Scrumpy on October 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM

This calls for an FBI investigation. Until it’s completed, there can’t be any further comments.

Curtiss on October 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Rovin on October 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM

He’s doing it again. I’m looking at the page right now.

JPeterman on October 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM

lorien1973 on October 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Every single site I go to requires the security code. I can’t even buy Papa John’s online without the security code. I’m not complaining, but it’s becoming pretty standard for any reputable merchant these days.

MobileVideoEngineer on October 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM

So they disabled the security measures. Isn’t this what they also did in Libya?

VorDaj on October 4, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Bishop on October 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM

LOL- SOmetimes they get it right though. THe Enquirer is the one that broke the Edwards story..

melle1228 on October 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM

OT – Why isn’t this news?

Arabs Riot for Third Day on Temple Mount
For the third morning in a row, Arabs rioted on the Temple Mount, attempting to Jews who sought to visit the holiest site in Judaism

For the third morning in a row, Arabs rioted on the Temple Mount, attempting to attack groups of Jews who sought to visit the holiest site in Judaism during the Sukkot holiday. Police again Thursday deployed large numbers of officers to keep the Arabs from attacking the Jews.

Police have reported that there were mild protests during recent days, but video footage showed dozens of young Arabs actively trying to attack Jews who were visiting the Mount. In one video, a Wakf official is seen threatening to break the camera of a Jew filming footage of the Arab rioters.

Colbyjack on October 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM

He is doing exactly what he did in 2008.

Nicole Coulter on October 4, 2012 at 9:43 PM

What if about a thousand of us did what you did, but all contributed under the name of “Adolph Hitler” or “Mahmoud Ahmadinejad” or “John Wilkes Booth”. Wouldn’t that be fun?

TXUS on October 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM

True Crime

faraway on October 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Hope and (spare) Change.

From over-seas donations.

So, how much jail time will any of these obamaniacs get?

locomotivebreath1901 on October 4, 2012 at 9:53 PM

According to knowlegable sources, a national magazine and a national web site

Hmmm… let’s try to guess…

Bloomberg + NationalJournal + Businessweek
CNN + Time
Newsweek + DailyBeast

ninjapirate on October 4, 2012 at 9:53 PM

So they disabled the security measures. Isn’t this what they also did in Libya?

VorDaj on October 4, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Comment of the Thread.

davidk on October 4, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Somewhat O/T but related in re to election fraud, I received an email from an NC friend who reported the following story about hijinks in NV. I don’t know if the anecdote is an urban legend, but it is most disturbing if true.

ATTENTION PLEASE!

This is very unsettling. This is one of those – friend-of-a friend situations………I just got off the phone with a friend who was told this afternoon by another friend, that someone came to her door to distribute campaign information and to find out if the person was registered to vote. The person said oh yes, registered to vote, and said that she was voting for Romney. The person at the door said that well, I can help you with that. You can vote right now, and I will turn your vote in for you, then you won’t have to go to the polls to vote because you will have already voted.

Do you see what this could mean?

The ONLY reason the lady didn’t vote was because her husband wasn’t home, and she said we’ll just go to the polls together.

Could Obama be stooping to this level????????????

I do not necessarily have direct access to the friend of the friend, but the lady was adamant that she could have voted today and turned her vote over to this person to be ‘counted’.

Does this anecdote have any credibility?

onlineanalyst on October 4, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Anything……..and I mean ANYTHING that can derail the DOTUS and his Axelrod/CutterButter minions is a good thing.

Bring it on!!!!

And then tweet it, email it, post it on FB, and post on news sites like YahooNews to steer the story.

HotAirians be the new media army!!! :-))

PappyD61 on October 4, 2012 at 9:54 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on October 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Its more common now, because its required in a few years for most ccs. But still, you have no idea how many people cannot figure it out, even when you tell them right where it is. Others think its their pin number..

(Typing on ipad sucks)

lorien1973 on October 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM

So this year are the Phone Banks run by the Muslim Brotherhood?

batterup on October 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM

New Black Panthers?

davidk on October 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM

a national web site

aren’t they all?

faraway on October 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Guess the magazine!

I’ll go with “Reader’s Digest”. I can’t imagine anyone else doing it.

SouthernGent on October 4, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Can you say National Enquirer.

RickB on October 4, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Who prosecutes election fraud? The Justice Department? “We’ll look into it next year”.

ignatzk on October 4, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Pic of the Day: ‘Bama’s Got A Squeezebox

M2RB: The Who

Resist We Much on October 4, 2012 at 9:57 PM

All ObamaPhones come with this app

faraway on October 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM

And this will turn into a nothinburger. Watch.

Philly on October 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I don’t post very often on here, and usually I’m just trying to be snarky, but on this one occasion I happen to know that if this hits the news like it should, it’s bad juju for O. I was going to send this to the tips email until I saw Allahpundit had posted it.

The $ amount eclipses the 2008 number by more than twice.

AubieJon on October 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Top 30 magazines in the U.S. (per Wikipedia)

1 AARP The Magazine 22,528,478
26 Redbook 2,222,177 1903
27 Parents 2,203,283 1926
28 Smithsonian 2,138,931 1970
29 ESPN The Magazine 2,132,897
30 FamilyFun

SouthernGent on October 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Does this anecdote have any credibility?

I received an absurd message on my answering machine asking for money to attack Obama… it was cut off but there was no way in hell I was going to give them money. The guy sounded like a Hannity-ish cartoon character of a conservative and it seemed scamish.

ninjapirate on October 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM

More & more it’s obvious, that this scumbag Occutarding the White House is beneath contempt! He sold out his Mother & his Grandmother’s memory for power. Why wouldn’t he sell out this Country and a few Border Agents or Ambassador’s? The only thing this Animal is loyal to is his Murderous Ideology and keeping power to further that Ideology!
Final UPDATE for those following:How to take on the Obama Enemy media: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Resist We Much on October 4, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Liking it!!

Scrumpy on October 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM

SouthernGent on October 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM

What no JCPenney Christmas catalog?

CW on October 4, 2012 at 10:01 PM

perhaps his muslim an leftist overlords give prepaid cards with $2500 on them to their minions and then tell them to donate $2000 to obama and keep $500.

reliapundit on October 4, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I have a few more guesses…

Wired Magazine(doubtful)
Reason Magazine(doubt they could generate much interest and they’re an ideological outlet)
National Enquirer

ninjapirate on October 4, 2012 at 10:02 PM

This doesn’t come from millions of small-amount donors in foreign countries, that’s the beauty of the scam. Here’s how it works:

The democratics’ favorite Nazi stooge George Soros buys 100 million dollars worth of prepaid credit cards in bulk, preferably in a foreign country. The cards are not really needed, just the numbers in a computer. They then set up a boiler room in a relatively lawless country where the police won’t wander in and say “so what’s going on here”, like Gaza. Then the phone banks go to work spending that money in small amounts until the 100 million dollars is gone, less a few bucks for phone bank workers, phone lines, etc.

Presto, look at that Obama, getting all those little donations from all those places, isn’t he such a wonderful man of the people?

slickwillie2001 on October 4, 2012 at 10:02 PM

“uncovered thousands of cases of credit card solicitations and donations to Obama and Capitol Hill, allegedly from unsecure accounts, and many from overseas.”

That would be the Palestinians. It was uncovered in 2008 but everybody just swatted it away like an annoying fly.

Does anybody think this time it will be different?

EV on October 4, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I saw a couple of guys with Hope and Change shirts stealing some copper wires. Is this part of the same ring?

faraway on October 4, 2012 at 10:02 PM

BTW, even if this is true will anyone care?

I bet this is the Sunlight Foundation… whom have they worked with before?

ninjapirate on October 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM

SouthernGent on October 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM

WE know it won’t be numbers 1 & 2.

davidk on October 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM

There is one thing everyone is forgetting:

Obama is going to come out swinging (flailing?) in the next two debates, and probably throwing lots of junk. If this story materializes, but the press just decides to spike it, well, Romney may well force them to report it.

The Count on October 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Using ‘blockbuster‘ in the same sentence with 0bama, especially since he was is a ‘community organizer’ and Rezko partner and Jarret associate is just a racist ‘dog whistle’ term.

And this will fizzle out just like everything else. Carney will tell us that he knows ‘four or five people named Doodad Pro.’ and that will be the end of it all, outside of Hot gas and other places that KKK types gather.

(do I need to put in a /s or is it obvious?)

LegendHasIt on October 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM

SouthernGent on October 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Heartache – Allah was hoping it was Cat Fancy

batterup on October 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM

This was all exposed in the 2008 campaign, also. No one cared then (except McLame said that Obambi would make a great president); why would anyone care now?

RoadRunner on October 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Time? No?

Newsweek? No?

The New Republic? No?

Vanity Fair? No?

The New Yorker? No?

Shocked. Just shocked.

Christian Science Monitor or maybe The Atlantic.

M240H on October 4, 2012 at 10:07 PM