Gore: Obama’s poor debate performance may’ve been because of… altitude sickness

posted at 2:01 pm on October 4, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

If this isn’t a Democratic-excuse-making shark-jumper, I don’t know what is.

AL GORE: I’m going to say something controversial here. Uh, Obama arrived in Denver at 2 p.m. today, just a few hours before the debate started. Romney did his debate prep, in Denver. When you go to 5,000 feet, and you only have a few hours to adjust, uh — I don’t know, maybe…

Yes, I’m sure that the tiring effects of a freshly heightened altitude made all the difference in the world, and that Obama’s terrible showing couldn’t have had anything to do with his abysmal record of failure or his deep-seated antipathy to being challenged by non-friendly fire, and that Romney’s vim and verve was fueled along by all of that high-altitude debate training he’s done. Or something.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I hear Obama’s debate coach was ManBearPig.

Meric1837 on October 4, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Rockey Mountain High?? H/T John Denver

Sasha List on October 4, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Preezy: Oxygen… I need oxygen. (gasp)

IPAB: Sorry Mr. President, but your request has been denied. We’ve determined that you’re nothing but a waste of oxygen.

Hill60 on October 4, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Frankly, I thinks it’s an improvement that the libs can actually acknowledge that Obama did something subpar (way, way, way subpar to be exact). I think the excuse making is more for themselves. Certainly they can’t expect the average American rube to understand the atmospheric effects on cognitive ability. Maybe they can do the next debate at the top of Mt McKinley

DaveDief on October 4, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Libya is entirely a mess of his own making.

Doughboy on October 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM

So is Egypt and may the Arab Spring bring Obama and Hillary down. It w/b the ultimate irony and Schadenfreude.

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2012 at 2:32 PM

You didn’t say anything “controversial”, Captain Weather, you said something STUPID.

Opposite Day on October 4, 2012 at 2:32 PM

…how utterly pathetic

Baxter Greene on October 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM

SUPEROBAMA: “You… you FIEND! Your… your RING is… is… KRYPTONITE!!!”

Marcola on October 4, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Unless PBHO has sickle cell, ala Ryan Clark of the Stillers, STFU, ya big dummy.

LtGenRob on October 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM

The funniest part of this clip is the other guy chiming in, “exactly!” LMAO

PrincipleStand on October 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Axelrod today told the press the following:

“I think the question for you [the media], for the American people is really one of character and whether or not a candidacy that’s so fundamentally rooted in hiding the truth and the facts from the American people and deception is the basis of trust on which you assign the presidency to a person.”

So after the debate debacle he is essentially challenging the media (in so many words), to do the job of assigning the presidency to Obama. You know, like they did the first time.

jazzmo on October 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM

“Democratic-excuse-making shark-jumper”

You, Erika…

… get a +7%!

Seven Percent Solution on October 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I’m starting to think that Gore has GOLDILOCKS SYNDROME.

Its too hot, the Earth is warming we’re all going to broil and its all man’s fault!

Its too cold, its the new ice age, and its all man’s fault!

Its too low, the seas are going to rise and flood all the land, its all man’s fault!

Its too high, Obama can’t defend his abysmal record or the dismal economy or his lack of a viable plan to fix it, its all that Romney man’s fault!

What a lame and pathetic excuse for Obama revealing himself to be the effete dilettante that he really is.

thatsafactjack on October 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Wow, Al Gore looks like a big, fat toad.

TarheelBen on October 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

It’s a debate…not a football game.

The thrill up the leg has been replaced with urine going the other direction…

Wyznowski on October 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

UNINSTALLING OBAMA….. █████████████▒▒▒▒▒▒ 89% complete

Urban Infidel on October 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Big Bird at PBS is indignant.

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Wow, Al Gore looks like a big, fat toad.

TarheelBen on October 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Why do you hate the cute toads?

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM

TarheelBen on October 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Made me laugh! He’s probably auditioning for ‘Hyno-toad’!

thatsafactjack on October 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Moveon.org “Leherer was too timid”, heh.

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM

UNINSTALLING OBAMA….. █████████████▒▒▒▒▒▒ 89% complete

Urban Infidel on October 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

dude! awesome

ted c on October 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM

And to think this tub was so close to being Pres.

rjoco1 on October 4, 2012 at 2:42 PM

UNINSTALLING OBAMA….. █████████████▒▒▒▒▒▒ 89% complete

Urban Infidel on October 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Stop the thread. We have a winner

NoFanofLibs on October 4, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Anyone see the preliminary ratings numbers for last night? FOX News topped everyone, as in even broadcast networks, in total viewers for the debate. Al Gore wishes he had a fraction of those numbers, then again with comments like this …

stukinIL4now on October 4, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Under 8000 feet, altitude sickness is rare, but who knows? Between smoking and a slightly decreased oxygen concentration, maybe it was too much for the guy.

mongizmo on October 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM

UNINSTALLING OBAMA….. █████████████▒▒▒▒▒▒ 89% complete

Urban Infidel on October 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Beautiful!!!

jimver on October 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM

UNINSTALLING OBAMA….. █████████████▒▒▒▒▒▒ 89% complete

Urban Infidel on October 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

This sooo goes on my FB!!! Even my French friends will understand this :)… Any royalties that I need to worry about ??? …

jimver on October 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Is it possible Al is just being polite here? I mean, it would be kind to attribute the President’s apparent oxygen deprivation to altitude rather than the obvious cause, i.e. his constantly having his head up his ass.

M240H on October 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I can just imagine how the Europeans are laughing at Schultz and AlBore for having the gall to try the defenses they’re pushing.

Liam on October 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM

What? Al Gore didn’t mention it was caused by global warming? Call me shocked. SHOCKED, I say.

Tennman on October 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM

mongizmo on October 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I think it’s the opposite. He got narced.

In diving, there’s a phenomenon known as nitrogen narcosis (narced)that sometimes occurs after descending to a depth of 100′ or so.

Obama experienced it when he came crashing down from the glorified heights last night.

BacaDog on October 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Urban Infidel on October 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Kudos, sir.

M240H on October 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM

The reason is not only because Obama’s 4 years has been a miserable failure that he can’t defend, but he had no teleprompter!

Chessplayer on October 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Possible explanation for O’s poor performance: The Emperor has no Teleprompter.

monkeyboy on October 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Maybe he should have used a breathalyzer or something?

ConservativeLA on October 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Did I hear the gore lisp?!??! HEY!! There really is manbearpigs!!! cereal guyz!!!

mugsiex on October 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Bless your heart Al, it wasn’t the altitude it was Obama’s attitude. Something you ought to know a lot about.

Texas Gal on October 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Unless the stage was tilted, Romney and Obama were debating at the same altitude. Why didn’t the altitude affect Romney’s performance? Does this mean that Romney is in better physical condition than a slow-jivin’, hoops-shootin’ golfer 14 years younger than himself?

Nothing like a lil’ ol’ mountain to level the playing field!!!

Steve Z on October 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Possible explanation for O’s poor performance: The Emperor has no Teleprompter.ballz. Mochelle and valerie emasculated him.

monkeyboy on October 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM

jimver on October 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM

So Obama got a case of the bends, huh?

blammm on October 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Kudos, sir.

M240H on October 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Thanks! Feel free to share far and wide.

I’m a ‘Ma’am’, though. Not a ‘sir.’ :)

Urban Infidel on October 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Urban Infidel on October 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM

A great one you are!!!

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Maybe he should have used a breathalyzer or something?

ConservativeLA on October 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Or an inhalator!

Sasha List on October 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM

It’s really frightening to remember how close this buffoon came to being President. Although it’s doubtful he’d be much worse than the buffoon we have now.

RadClown on October 4, 2012 at 3:13 PM

At least this excuse has the advantage of being original.

Mutnodjmet on October 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM

The cabin altitude on Air Force One is 8000′

With as many vacations and golfing trips the SCOAMF has taken, along with the flight to Denver, he should be used to barely functioning at that altitude.

Hacktastic failure. Again.

Flyboy on October 4, 2012 at 3:19 PM

lol! gore is an idiot!

nathor on October 4, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Just when you thought Weird Al Gore couldn’t get any stupider.

Captain Kirock on October 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Aren’t leaders supposed to anticipate issues and make changes to address them according to their beliefs? Sounds like Mitt demonstrated leadership in prepping for the debate, while Obama flew by the seat of his pants expecting others to cover his sorry performance.

dominigan on October 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Maybe it was just because he sucks in general, and is a whitey-hating, America-hating Socialist ventriloquist dummy with daddy-issues that has aggressively sabotaged the US economy for the last four years and is beginning to realize that people see this, and so really didn’t know what else to say. Just throwing that out there as an alternative theory.

WhatSlushfund on October 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM

The only people who would need adjusting to a 5,000 ft altitude would be those with serious heart or lung problems or marathon runners and that adjustment would take weeks to build up additional lung and or heart capacity. No wonder Al Gore got a D in even general Science. He should have got an F.

VorDaj on October 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Dear Media,

Please excuse Baracks poor debate. He hasn’t been feeling well riding over all those bumps in the road

signed,

Obama’s Mother

analog kid on October 4, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I would say more like “Aptitude Sickness”

nicefly on October 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Gore: Obama’s poor debate performance may’ve been because of… altitude sickness

I guess this means Obama’s an air-head.

Rod on October 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I call BS. The wife and I flew to Denver last year from Texas. Rented a car, drove to Boulder and hiked the Flat Irons within 2 hours of landing. Over the course of the next four days we hiked over 30 miles at altitudes of 8,000 – 12,000 feet all over Rocky Mountain National Park. Never once did we get altitude sickness. Saw some awesome sights though that took our breath away.

Of course neither of us smoke…

James on October 4, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Live from New York “It’s Saturday Night Live

Wade on October 4, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Prez Debates, Part Deux, will be a townhall format moderated by CNN’s Candy Crowley, with voter participants selected by Gallup asking the questions. I’ve read that Bammie shines in situations where he gets to interact clown with the crowd. So will Obama be looking more alive and do better in the next debate?

stukinIL4now on October 4, 2012 at 3:45 PM

This altitude sickness excuse would certainly help explain all those thousands of idiots at Invesco Field 4 years ago: “We didn’t know what kind of lunacy we were cheering: We were all woozy from the thin air.”

arik1969 on October 4, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I would say more like “Aptitude Sickness”

nicefly on October 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM

zing

RushBaby on October 4, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Las Vegas (where 0 spent several days in prep prior to the debate) is about 2300′ elevation. Denver is 5000′. Rising 2700′ might make you ears pop if you do it too quickly, but there ain’t much difference in oxygen content.

In his defense, though, the Preezy is normally a very, very low individual. Elevating himself to Romney’s level is a big task.

iurockhead on October 4, 2012 at 3:54 PM

stukinIL4now on October 4, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Mitt Romney was quite impressive while interacting with people during the debate that used a town hall format during the Republican Primary season.

wren on October 4, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Harry Reid will be taking to the senate floor shortly to proclaim that Mitt Romney’s good performance was the result of blood doping.

Blacklake on October 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Gore: Obama’s poor debate performance may’ve been because of… altitude sickness

And Bush was actually the idiot….riiiiight.

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 4, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Heck, I live a mile higher than the Mile High City. Give me a break. Obama has been here (to Colorado) so many times, he should be used to the altitude. No excuse for his poor performance other than the lack of a teleprompter. Uh uh uh. I I I I I I. . .

COgirl on October 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Gore: Obama’s poor debate performance may’ve been because of… altitude sickness

Yeah, 0 popped over from Nevada. (What is that … a 45 minute flight?) He didn’t fly in from Death Valley.

jix on October 4, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Nothing like a lil’ ol’ mountain to level the playing field!!!

Steve Z on October 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Actually I think I saw a story that Romney had already been in Denver for 3 days.

Del Dolemonte on October 4, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Of course neither of us smoke…

James on October 4, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Did some of that very same stuff when I was out in CO about 30 years ago. Never had any problems either.

And at that time, I DID smoke. Still never had a problem.

Did have a problem the very next week, however. Hiked down the Bright Angle Trail to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. In the middle of August. And then hiked back up to the South Rim in the same day.

Never do it in August, that’s all I can tell you. When we were headed down, we met a bunch of absolutely winded dudes staggering up the trail.

They told us they were US Marines.

Del Dolemonte on October 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Del Dolemonte on October 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Bright Angel Trail, my bad.

Del Dolemonte on October 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I trained in Denver just prior to the Mexico Olympics, it’s great for training, but that’s about it.

I have altitude sickness, it’s common, in fact Sir Edmund Hilary had it also…altitude sickness kicks in at around 7,500 ft, at 5,000 ft. you can get out of breath easier, but seldom do you actually get altitude sickness…good grief.

right2bright on October 4, 2012 at 4:31 PM

iurockhead on October 4, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Heh, plus Barry has been ‘keepin’ it on the down low’ for so long,….

Umm. I better not finish that sentence.

LegendHasIt on October 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM

James on October 4, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Altitude sickness has nothing to do with smoking, it’s a physical reaction, it happens to people, more often, to people who are in very strong physical shape.
The only real cure is two “adjust” to the altitude, like I stated, Sir Edmund Hilary had altitude sickness…you just have to wait it out for 12 hours or so and adjust at about 7,500 ft. Once you acclimate, than 12,000 or something like the Kearsage pass at 12,000 is easy.

Going up that pass I about died, vomiting, headache, it was horrible, after a few days in the Vidette meadows, I hiked out without a problem. It’s just a matter of acclimation, and has nothing to do with physical fitness.

right2bright on October 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I had a friend from Seattle that tried to ‘do’ some of the 11,000 to ‘fourteeners’ in Colorado with me a few years ago, who got pretty bad altitude sickness. It started kicking in at about 10,000 ft, hit him hard at 12,000, pretty much and went away when he got below 8.500.

LegendHasIt on October 4, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Obama’s head was always in the clouds so I don’t understand why this issue is applicable.

Kingfisher on October 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Obama’s poor debate performance may’ve been because of… altitude sickness

This, coming from an idiot who thinks that GM and cow farts are killing the planet.

I can understand why Gore was selected…nobody else would be that stupid to utter such crap.

Kingfisher on October 4, 2012 at 4:50 PM

The Goracle forgets that BO was just fine at the Greek event in Denver in 2008.

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM

My brother was a tour guide in Santa Fe, NM – an artsy fartsy liberal mecca. He was giving some stats about Santa Fe to a group when he mentioned that Santa Fe is at an altitude of over a mile high. Some guy on the bus then asked him “Even in the summer?”

Maybe the guy was a Gorebot?

natasha333 on October 4, 2012 at 5:30 PM

The Goracle forgets that BO was just fine at the Greek event in Denver in 2008.

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Yeah, but that was a teleprompter event :)…he didn’t need any mind clarity for that, all he needed to know was read :)…

jimver on October 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Where I live (above 10,000 feet), when people get altitude sickness badly, they are sent down to Denver to recover. No excuse for Obama. He just thought he could whiz through this as if it was another daily security briefing and didn’t prepare.

COgirl on October 4, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Stop for a moment and think about this.

This man almost became President of the United States.

Red Cloud on October 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Yes. Me and 536 other clowns prevented that.

You’re welcome.

Lanceman on October 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM

The Goracle is an idiot. When I moved from Seattle to Ohio, I made a trip up Trail Ridge Road. Made many stops, and lots of walking. No problems. That’s between 11,000 and 12,000′ ASL. This has to be the lamest excuse I’ve ever heard.

sadatoni on October 4, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Most commercial aircraft are currently pressurized to approx. 8000ft at their crusie altitudes (36000 to 41000ft). It’s unlikely that Air Force One has its cabin pressurized lower than 5000ft, about the same as Denver CO. So if Al Gore is stating that Obama can’t think clearly at 5000ft, it means Obama can’t think clearly when he’s on Air Force One. Just another of many reasons Obama is unfit to be President of the United States.

Wallythedog on October 4, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Ummm, you don’t get altitude sickness at only 5,000 ft. 10,000 maybe, or if you’re very elderly with a heart condition, but not usually in Denver.

Pro football players may need extra oxygen when they come here, but they’re doing something very physical. Standing behind a podium does not make a person out of breath unless your opponent is wiping the floor with you.

What. A. Moron.

Common Sense on October 4, 2012 at 7:07 PM

What. A. Moron.

Common Sense on October 4, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I know, right. We’ve flown our aircraft open cabin to over 10K without oxygen and never have problems operating them. He’s soft I guess.

hawkdriver on October 4, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I was under the impression that in 2008 Senator Obama, surrounded by the lowlier Greek gods and their columns, gave what the media has dubbed “The Speech Of The Century” in Mile-High Stadium. I thought that was in Denver.
/sarc
I really think he doesn’t want the job anymore – he’s in the history books either way.

UNINSTALLING OBAMA….. █████████████▒▒▒▒▒▒ 89% complete

Urban Infidel on October 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Whether or not that’s yours, you know it will be spreading, right? (get it?)

DublOh7 on October 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM

UNINSTALLING OBAMA….. █████████████▒▒▒▒▒▒ 89% complete

Urban Infidel on October 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Roger that, pal.

Stolen!

hawkdriver on October 4, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Al Gore’s face looks like a bloated moon pie. Lay off the salt (and the potato chips), Al.

Philly on October 4, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Fat Albert continues his descent into bat-shit-crazyland.

Jaibones on October 4, 2012 at 11:59 PM

It was too much chooming that …uh … did ….hmm…Obama in.

Brain damage.

Sherman1864 on October 5, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Hot air rises and Al Gore might be on the money with his altitude excuse.

mixplix on October 5, 2012 at 6:21 AM

Right, like he’s never been there before? He was practically anointed there four years ago.

Esthier on October 5, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Tipper was unavailable for comment.

diogenes on October 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Cabin pressure in Obama’s Air Force One is equivalent to an altitude of 6,000 to 8,000 feet above sea level.

Sure destroys Al’s argument, doesn’t it? Then, again, Al is not known for being a deep thinker.

PGI_FL on October 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I obviously know the town.

Smart people show early and get acclimated, no matter where it is, Denver is singularly unforgiving in that regard.

Obama could have made the scene as Romney did, but chose to do what he pleased and suffer terminal lassitude.

As a note, I know the type of people who support him, particularly in the media. The identify with an image that makes them feel brighter and more competent, than they have a right to feel. When the illusion breaks they really will turn on you.

Denver Bob on October 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Gore’s analysis . . . maybe he can explain how over the edge he is by blaming it on the moon and tides?

kens on October 5, 2012 at 12:12 PM

But, the Greek columns, and his ’08 convention, were in Denver. What gives?

Ward Cleaver on October 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM