Video: Stewart rips Obama admin “duck and cover up” on Benghazi

posted at 11:21 am on October 3, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Via Breitbart, this could be a potentially important moment in the Benghazi cover-up collapse for the Obama administration.  Jon Stewart doesn’t break any news on the story, like Eli Lake at the Daily Beast has done, or necessarily put together a previously unknown sequence of events to create a new angle on it.  Stewart puts the story in front of an audience that may otherwise have been ignoring it — the hip, disconnected younger voters — and signal that this is now fair game:

“That thing’s like ‘The Ring’” Stewart says of the video Obama is trying to pin so much of the Middle East unrest on. “Three days after you watch it, embassies just burst into flames!”

Most of the time, Stewart works a little pox-upon-all-houses criticism when he goes after Barack Obama and his administration.  Not this time; for five minutes, Stewart hammers Obama himself for offering wishy-washy assessments while his administration’s officials finally get around to admitting the obvious.  The Daily Show runs UN Ambassador Susan Rice’s 9/16 assertions with the on-screen graphic reading “duck and cover-up”.  Stewart then finishes with CNN Anderson Cooper reporting that the administration knew in the first few hours that it was a terrorist attack, and responds with an expletive.  His conclusion?  The consulate in Benghazi was a terrorist attack that was “planned and coordinated.  Our response?  Ehhhh — not so much.”

The cover-up story has gone mainstream. Let’s see if the mainstream media will run with it now.

Update: Commenter CSchande asks whether we at Hot Air ever talk to each other, too … because Allahpundit already covered this yesterday afternoon. I actually went and looked at last night’s posts, and completely missed it.  Oh, well … it’s worth a second look, right?

Comments

KOOLAID2

listens2glenn on October 3, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Don’t count on it….. crickets to chirp as long as possible

cmsinaz on October 3, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Yeah except the media won’t cover it and if they did they would be handed a scape goat by Obama to throw under the bus…

sandee on October 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Squirrel!

What did mitt do today?
-lsm

cmsinaz on October 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Yet Stewart will still vote for Dear Liar.

rbj on October 3, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I’m not sure the media cares about the public trust anymore.

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Ed, wasn’t this a thread yesterday?

Don’t get me wrong; it’s GREAT stuff. . : )

listens2glenn on October 3, 2012 at 11:26 AM

ROTFLMAO… When you have lost Jon Stewart… Then your chickens are cooomming hoommme to rooooost….

SWalker on October 3, 2012 at 11:26 AM

He’s just embarrased for himself and PBHO, because they look so confused. No anger at 4 people getting killed. No anger about going to Vegas. Just pure unmittigated gall that the party he shills for would look so feckless.

LtGenRob on October 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I hate to have to do this to you Ed, but the irony and comedic potential of it leaves me no choice:

Do you guys ever talk to each other, or…

Haha.

cschande on October 3, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Stewart’s audience has the attention span of a 5 year old with ADD. They’ll laugh it off because it will mean nothing to them in 10 5 minutes. As for the MSM, since when do they take their cues from Stewart? They are going to cover for Obama at all costs.

HotAirian on October 3, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Wait….Hannity told me to listen to Obama’s accent!

What happened in Lybia? Where is that anyway?

On a serious note, I hope Romney finds a way to connect it to domestic policies tonight, otherwise, with early voting underway..it might be too late for the FP debate.

Go for a KO Romney! Or go home! It’s getting late.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on October 3, 2012 at 11:29 AM

People died, Obama lied.

TedInATL on October 3, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Hipster auditory of Jon Stewart:
2008 – “Obama uses BlackBerry! He is awesome!”
2012 – “Obama still uses BlackBerry! He is so pathetic.”

Archivarix on October 3, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Even Stewart is starting to realize that no one in America is too big or too small to be sacrificed for the First Dog Eating President, and its injected a bit of nervousness into the man.

Bishop on October 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM

HotAirian on October 3, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Oh, how I wish you were wrong about that. But wishing does no good.

I have a son who is a regular viewer of the Daily Show . . . . . . : (

listens2glenn on October 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Allah beat you to this one yesterday, Ed :)

Eschelon on October 3, 2012 at 11:34 AM

O-bama says that the “protesters” were using the video as an excuse for their actions.

Uhhh, your administration was using the video as an excuse for days, Mr. 0-bama…HELLO!!!

stick on October 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM

“Do you guys ever talk to each other, or…”

Haha.

cschande on October 3, 2012 at 11:28 AM

LOL! Yeah, see my update. I didn’t scroll down far enough, and I missed this yesterday when it popped up.

It’s worth a second look. though. I think.

Ed Morrissey on October 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM

The Obama Enemy media is in a quandary here. They know they have to protect the Marxist Messiah, but the “Clown Prince” of the Obama Enemy media is now spanking the “ONE who they were waiting for”. They’re loosing sleep over this and going through Anti-psychotic Meds like they were Pez’(for you youngins think Skittles). It is a step in the right direction when the “Unaware World” is suddenly given a bit of info and it’s not even Anti-America BS! Let’s see where this takes us.
For those following,How to take on the Obama Enemy media: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Then again, would the young, liberal crowd who watches this really care whether an ambassador gets killed in Libya?

Steve Z on October 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM

sandee on October 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I’m not sure the media cares about the public trust anymore.

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Stewart is basically “the media.” If he’s reporting it, it’s “out there” now and it doesn’t really need to be covered by the NYT at this point (though it would be great for us if they caved and started finally reporting it honestly). The dam has clearly burst on this story regardless of the media’s previous efforts to cover it up.

Doomberg on October 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM

OT: I’m working a rare Wednesday today/night. Normally I’m off on Weds-so I’m gonna miss most-if not all-of the debate.
Good ‘karma’ Peeps!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 3, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Oops, a line got deleted from my post–this should read:

The one problem: Jon Stewart didn’t go one step further and ask, “if the Administration knew a terrorist attack was coming, why didn’t they protect the embassy?”

Steve Z on October 3, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Stewart puts the story in front of an audience that may otherwise have been ignoring it — the hipshallow, disconnecteduninvolved younger voters — and signal that this is now fair game:

Just an editorial comment.

tom on October 3, 2012 at 11:39 AM

“Stewart puts the story in front of an audience that may otherwise have been ignoring it — the hip, disconnected younger voters — and signal that this is now fair game…”

It’s kinda tough to ignore something that hasn’t been sufficiently reported by Obama’s re-election committee. OTOH, Stewart’s current audience will get older (and smarter?) and he definitely has their attention now. This is the kind of thing that can hopefully make them think outside the left-wing box for a change – hopefully.

perroviejo on October 3, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I’ll take this small bit of “journalism”.

SouthernGent on October 3, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Jon Stewart (or whatever his real name is) sucks. A lot of lefties love him, claiming that he is very entertaining and a great source of news.

In my humble opinion, he is neither.

UltimateBob on October 3, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Yet Stewart will still vote for Dear Liar.

rbj on October 3, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Quite likely but that doesn’t make this any less hillarious. Unfortunately it is also scary to realize that these are the people in charge of the nation.

Happy Nomad on October 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Doomberg on October 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM

My son (28) considers Stewart and Colbert equal opportunity critics. I won’t go that far but an deviation from Obama worship is appreciated.

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

CIA head Petraeus said three days after the attack that it was a gone out of control reaction to that internet video that almost no one saw. I don’t know what that lying dope is blathering about right now.

From Fox News on Sept 27: “A congressional source told Fox News that CIA Director David Petraeus, during a briefing with members of the House Intelligence Committee three days after the attack, also espoused the view that Benghazi was an out-of-control demonstration prompted by the YouTube video. According to the source, this was “shocking” to some members who were present and saw the same intelligence pointing toward a terrorist attack”.

So it wasn’t/isn’t just Hussein Obama, Hillary Clinton, Susan Rice,and Baghdad Bob Jay Carney who perpetrated this Goebbels Level Big Lie. CIA head David ‘Holy Qur’an” Petraeus is also guilty as Hell of lying. In fact it was probably that b-astard’s idea.

VorDaj on October 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

You guys should watch his show. Its great.

Politricks on October 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

What’s frustrating is that Stewart only highlights one event. Events occur with this administration with regular frequency and no one outside of the blogs, conservative radio, or Fox News bothers to talk about it.

Mention any of those sources and watch Liberals roll their eyes.

It’s criminal.

bsinc1962 on October 3, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Don’t worry, the Downgrade Regime excels at that:

Gibbs blames Bush for the Barrying of the Middle Class:

Gibbs: Middle Class Has Been Buried “Dealing With Bad Economic Decisions From Former Administration”

Meanwhile:

Obama aide denies Bush bashing

President Barack Obama’s reelection effort is not blaming the sputtering economic recovery of the past four years on former President George W. Bush, his deputy campaign manager insisted Wednesday.

“We’re absolutely not doing that,” Stephanie Cutter said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

Doh!

Chip on October 3, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Update: Commenter CSchande asks whether we at Hot Air ever talk to each other, too … because Allahpundit already covered this yesterday afternoon. I actually went and looked at last night’s posts, and completely missed it. Oh, well … it’s worth a second look, right?

Ed: It’s time for a right wing JournoList, isn’t it?

;P
\

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on October 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM

The video so nice, you posted it twice.

shooten on October 3, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Yesterday Rush was talking about how weird it is that there’s no yard signs or bumper stickers for either candidate. He said it’s as if there’s no election campaign going on. I have my own theories.

The absence of Obama signs and stickers is due to lack of enthusiasm.

The absence of Romney signs and stickers is due to:
1. Fear of vandalism by White Leftists
2. Not wanting to be confrontational towards Black people, who are in a state of denial about how much Obama has let them down.
3. Not wanting to be confrontational towards White people who felt so great about themselves by voting for the Black guy, and now feel ashamed of how easily they allowed themselves to be fooled.

In other words, the silent majority has decided to be as silent as possible. They will quietly go to the polls and put an end to this sorry chapter in American history. They’re sick to death of this 5 year PR campaign to make everybody love Obama. They just want him gone and don’t want to talk about it.

ardenenoch on October 3, 2012 at 11:51 AM

“Do you guys ever talk to each other, or…”

Haha.

cschande on October 3, 2012 at 11:28 AM

It’s worth a second look. though. I think.

Ed Morrissey on October 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM

According to the “Rule of Three,” most people don’t really notice or remember something until they hear it or see it three times.

So I guess, Erika needs to do a post about the Daily Show now?

tom on October 3, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Good ‘karma’ Peeps!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 3, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Let’s all head over to the local box store tonight with universal remotes and tune all the TVs in the electronics department to the debate. Force it on the low info shoppers….

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on October 3, 2012 at 11:51 AM

And let me add one more thing……when the pollsters call, they don’t pick up the phone.

ardenenoch on October 3, 2012 at 11:53 AM

The absence of Obama signs and stickers is due to lack of enthusiasm.

The absence of Romney signs and stickers is due to:
1. Fear of vandalism by White Leftists

ardenenoch on October 3, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I can see where you are coming from. I can recall in 2008 Obama stuff was EVERYWHERE. Now, even in MD, I see few stickers and I haven’t seen one yard sign.

Turnout is what will decide this whole thing. Period. Do your part and everything will work out IMO.

Gatsu on October 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I just can’t watch this dick, and his “funny” faces. I’ll have to stick to the comments.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Doomberg on October 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

In a way, his willingness to criticize the left on rare occasion makes it worse, because it makes him look like an equal opportunity critic even though he’s far more forgiving of the left.

He’s still very much left-wing, though.

Still, for all that I would criticize him as a “news source” or an “equal opportunity critic,” or the way that the media treats his shallowness as wonderful, I really do appreciate that he will sometimes criticize the left when they do something egregious enough.

tom on October 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM

OhEssYouCowboys on October 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I normally enjoy Stewart’s takes on the Left, but this was utterly limp-wristed hackery. Jokes about money machines and the Foo Fighters. Edgy, Jonny!

MadisonConservative on October 3, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Stewart: “the party I support 100% in every aspect of government and public policy is full of liars and nitwits…and that’s ok with me.”

You guys should watch his show. Its great.

Politricks on October 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

It’s less valuable for important information than The Three Stooges.

Jaibones on October 3, 2012 at 12:01 PM

“Do you guys ever talk to each other, or…”

Haha.

cschande on October 3, 2012 at 11:28 AM

It’s worth a second look. though. I think.

Ed Morrissey on October 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Hey, the more we can get this story out there the better, in my opinion. As any earlier commenter already said, where’s Erika’s post about this clip? The third time’s the charm!

cschande on October 3, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Joe cant figure out how President Zero is going to go back on his word? Here is a hint Joe – space cadets like you who have decided on a version of self importance never before known to man. Dont choke on your cheetos Joe.

iam7545r on October 3, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Yeah, these “hip, disconnected younger voters” don’t care about a lying incompetent president who clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing.
These “hip voters” care about the first black president who cares about healthcare, “women’s rights”, “voter rights”, global warming, the environment, etc.

redzap on October 3, 2012 at 12:10 PM

You guys should watch his show. Its great.

Politricks on October 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I’ll admit, he does seem to have a decent joke-writing staff.

slickwillie2001 on October 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM

This Stewart segment is one of the oddest things I’ve seen him do. And it took a minute to figure it out. Usually it’s a quick wrap up of a snafu with a witty bon mot or two thrown in.

What is so different about this, in my view, is it’s about as close as Stewart has ever come to a straight up news piece with the humor almost shoe-horned in (because, after all, it’s a comedy show). The funny stuff almost gets in the way of what he so obviously wants to say.

I like it. This is not a complaint about the piece or Mr. Stewart at all. Good ups on him for going after this. The oddities are: (A) It probably belonged on a network news broadcast; and (B) It wasn’t on a network news broadcast.

This is what happens when the Fourth Estate is off smoking Obama Opium, leaving news gathering to comedians. Hey, at least somebody’s doing it (ft. nt. / thank goodness for the few out there – Tapper and the rest – who are doing their jobs – this is about the mass of them, not all of them).

IndieDogg on October 3, 2012 at 12:53 PM

It doesn’t matter, this needs to be repeated loud and clear. I even posted it on FB. The lies and cover-up are disgusting cowardice.

John the Libertarian on October 3, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Yesss!!It’s now an official issue.
Official validation from eternal rectal polyp and practitioner of 9th grade humor, Jon Stewart.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 3, 2012 at 1:11 PM

You guys should watch his show. Its great.

Politricks on October 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

You guy should read Iowahawk.He’s great.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Interesting thing I noticed yesterday.

The old black Vietnam vet who comes by my place to take care of his horses in the back pasture…..

He and I have had occasional conversations about 0bama. He had an 0bama/Biden ’08 sticker. I’ve been trying to explain to him that the majority of people opposed to him are not about race – it’s because he’s been a really bad president. We go ’round and ’round, but he’s been listening also.

So a couple months ago, sure enough, now his truck had the 0bama/Biden ’12 sticker. I didn’t say anything.

After the GOP convention I out an empty chair at the end of the driveway. He came by to water his horses and asked why I had a chair out there. I didn’t have the heart to tell him why, and so I shucked and jived: “You mean the trash truck STILL didn’t take it? Damn, I guess I’ll have to cut it up in little pieces and put it in the trash can.”

Then the next week, the machine shop owner down the road put up this big banner on the wall:

“The government didn’t help us build this.
0bama can kiss our ass!

I’m [shop owner] and I approve this message”

So then people drive by that and then see my empty chair, which “the trash truck still hasn’t picked up.”

Yesterday the old vet came by and the 0bama/Biden ’12 sticker is GONE. No sticker on his truck.

cane_loader on October 3, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I’ll take this small bit of “journalism”.
SouthernGent on October 3, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Me too. But like a drowning man clutching.

Cleombrotus on October 3, 2012 at 1:38 PM

It’s worth a second look. though. I think.

Ed Morrissey on October 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Yes … it is.

So we’ll let you “slide” this time. . : )

listens2glenn on October 3, 2012 at 1:43 PM

…I don’t think he’s that funny!

KOOLAID2 on October 3, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Good ‘karma’ Peeps!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 3, 2012 at 11:39

AM

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on October 3, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Oh no you don’t, young lady, you suffer with the rest of us !

Hey, is there anyone else here who could make it to the Lubbock, TX WalMart?

Ask the manager for a cart, and take one of those TVs back to the Produce dept.
That would be hilarious, Difficultas_Est_Imperium
. : )

listens2glenn on October 3, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Stewart finally said something funny? WTF? Who’s next? Maher?

NoPain on October 3, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Update:

lol…you should read allah’s posts every now and then…..sometimes they’re actually pretty g…HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

couldn’t do it.

;-)

Tim_CA on October 3, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Stewart is a liberal lacky, but I give him credit once in a while for lampooning Democrats as well.

If only the MSM would do the same. Sigh.

But the last 10 seconds or so of the video were priceless. I laughed out loud.

Now, let’s get serious. Obama has to go in November. This election isn’t just about Romney supports getting off the couch to vote. This election is about every Romney supporter getting their friends and those Republicans and independents who haven’t voted recently out to vote as well.

And don’t worry about how the independents might vote, just get them to the polls. Studies have shown that independents who have not made up their minds or who don’t nomally vote normally go for the challenger.

This is probably the most important election since 1860.

BMF on October 3, 2012 at 2:32 PM

You’re kinda slow on the trigger there Stewart. Barry’s been providing tons of comedic material for almost four years now. But I am glad to see someone take a crack at him.

See how easy it is?

Conan?
Leno?
Letterman?
SNL?

fogw on October 3, 2012 at 2:47 PM

This is funny. They can not even fool Stewart anymore.

Terrye on October 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM

LOL, kinda funny that I didn’t see AP’s post on this either…

Midas on October 3, 2012 at 8:05 PM