Romney wins; Update: CBS insta-poll shows decisive Romney victory; Update: Romney crushes Obama in CNN insta-poll

posted at 10:44 pm on October 3, 2012 by Allahpundit

I said in the open thread that the media would strain to spin this as an Obama victory, but I assumed that he’d give them something, however small, to work with. He gave them nothing. The Hill’s post-debate headline is “Romney lands punches against subdued Obama in first debate,” but that doesn’t remotely capture it. How bad was it for Team O? Dude:

More reaction from Twitter below. A rare moment of bipartisan consensus for America:

And the coup de grace of an unspinnably terrible night for the left:

Lisa Schiffren of NRO calls Romney’s performance “stellar” and Bill Kristol thinks it might be an inflection point. Next week’s polls should be awfully interesting. Back with more reaction links and some vid when I find a good clip.

Update: Endgame:

Update: A forlorn Bill Maher concedes Romney’s debate win while Kristol follows up by calling it the best performance by a Republican in more than 20 years. Mark Halperin calls it for Romney too, albeit not without a ridiculous bit of grade inflation for O.

Update: Via BuzzFeed, what’s the opposite of a leg tingle?

Update: You don’t need a poll to tell you who won this one, but this is gratifying:

Rachel Maddow claims there was no winner in this debate, which, when you adjust for the curve that MSNBC’s grading Obama on, confirms that this was an utter landslide for the GOP. Back to the drawing board for Team Hopenchange, says Chuck Todd.

Update: Andrew Sullivan, one of The One’s biggest fans, despairs:

Look: you know how much I love the guy, and you know how much of a high information viewer I am, and I can see the logic of some of Obama’s meandering, weak, professorial arguments. But this was a disaster for the president for the key people he needs to reach, and his effete, wonkish lectures may have jolted a lot of independents into giving Romney a second look…

The person with authority on that stage was Romney – offered it by one of the lamest moderators ever, and seized with relish. This was Romney the salesman. And my gut tells me he sold a few voters on a change tonight. It’s beyond depressing. But it’s true.

Update: I knew O did badly, but I didn’t realize he did this badly. No wonder the CNN numbers look like this:

I hear that Frank Luntz’s focus group on Fox was also overwhelmingly pro-Romney but I haven’t seen vid yet. Please e-mail the link if you spot it online.

Update: More hints of a potential gamechanger:

Update: According to Dave Weigel, Romney’s 67 percent in the CNN insta-poll is the highest number they’ve ever recorded after a debate.

Update: Politico’s postgame piece captures the mood: “Massacre! Massacre!”

Romney’s aides and surrogates sprinted into the spin room to offer effusive assessments of their candidate’s performance, and Fox News contributor Juan Williams was caroling “Massacre! Massacre!” to himself as he bounded out of the men’s restroom. Obama’s team didn’t meet the press for a full 10 minutes — and one top Democrat, asked to say the best thing about the president’s performance, said Obama has been “just working to maintain cool and be reassuring” in an email to POLITICO.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 14 15 16

It looked to me like a successful business man and effective leader knocked out the community organizer with old and busted ideas.

dddave on October 4, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Ron Paul ”08b

GW_SS-Delta on October 4, 2012 at 9:25 AM

The debate pulled a lot of facebook closet conservatives out. I can;t believe how many liberals are being quiet and how many conservatives are kicking them when they are down.

Romney energized his base. Obama depressed his. Hopefully the true undecided watched, as the choice is clear. Now vote.

Bensonofben on October 4, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I’m gonna send Mitt another $50.00 today

Dork B. on October 4, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Now that my hype has worn off the underlying fear is creeping in. Bark got shown for such an empty vessel of confused detachment that I think we’re awfully lucky that America hasn’t been taken advantage of to a greater extent during the last 4 years. But he still has months in office yet and when he loses in November, man…it’s coming.

Bishop on October 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM

verbaluce on October 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM

You have time. Obama’s performance last night only seemed to highlight his biggest character flaws for me. He is not looking for the center or compromise, he is looking for his way and doesn’t even hide it well.

Cindy Munford on October 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Obama did have a gaffe last night. If you watch the last 3 minutes of the debate and specifically the end of his closing remarks you’ll hear the dog whistle, “And everybody’s getting a fair share…” The look in his eyes when he realized his error was clear he knew right away that it was a slip up. I might not have caught it if his non-verbals hadn’t exploded in that second.

ForThemWhatCare on October 4, 2012 at 9:38 AM

The thing is, I didn’t know Mitt Romney ran a clock cleaning business…

ajacksonian on October 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM

And David Axelrod already gave us the accusation that Romney coldly killed a woman. I cannot imagine what filth might be coming next.

I agree with Palin. These people will do something—even going so far as getting us into another shooting war. And Mormons had best be prepared because I’ve very sure the gloves are coming off in Chicago. They’re like cornered animals and they are vicious.

Mormons, I’ve a feeling you’re going to be in the cross hairs, so please resist calling Romney supporters ugly names. Please accept that we’ll support your existence and right to your beliefs. I do NOT believe Romney will impose his personal religious beliefs on the country. I do believe he will respect other’s beliefs. Accept that as a big win and leave the theology to your missionaries or if you feel a need, use that passion to defend America and women against the progressive bent to impose sharia law on us.

Portia46 on October 4, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I was previously NOT going to vote for either of them.

But after this debate, and my belief that Romney is overall a decent man, and despite my belief that in the end, he is not the one to dismantle enough of ‘leviathan’ to stop the country’s slide, I’m convinced he can at least slow the slide down possibly enough to allow us time to continue the reformation of the GOP until Rand Paul or Scott Walker is ready in 2016 or 2020. Or, maybe Allen West will be ready. Our AAA GOP has many great prospects.

He has convinced me enough to vote for him, and I will volunteer the next three Saturday mornings to walk my precinct. I’ll link up tonight with them at a statehouse election debate.

Obama came off as the sad sad little man or child that he is.

KirknBurker on October 4, 2012 at 9:50 AM

The debate was reminiscent of the time Mike Tyson knocked out Michael Spinks in 91 seconds.

LMFAO!

Resist We Much on October 4, 2012 at 9:56 AM

You guys have good reason to be pleased.
Romney did very well here. And he did well while being largely substansive
- not via ‘zingers’ etc.
Haven’t spoken to my Dad yet (a true undecided), but I’m bettin’ he’s leaning Romney today.
As much as I would have prefered a different outcome, I welcome the focus on real issues…and reality.

verbaluce on October 4, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Thanks for posting this. Not easy for you on a day like today.
Folks here will be having a pretty good time today. That is what winning is all about.
I am concerned about the next debate, though. Romney just set a pretty high bar, performance wise and in the next debate anything less will get savaged by the press. Difficult for Obama to have a worse performance. He was clearly distracted by something.
Romney needs to keep his focus and not get swallowed up by the sucess of one debate.
Let us know what your dad says.

Jabberwock on October 4, 2012 at 7:49 AM

The Mitt Romney we saw last night was the same Mitt Romney we saw throughout the Republican Primaries. Romney was, as usual, in total command of the facts.

The difference between last night and the Republican primary debates is that in the case of the latter Mitt’s opposition was much more formidable and, contrary to all the idiotic statements here that Mitt only attacks conservative, Mitt obviously enjoyed putting it to the punk.

Eastwood’s chair put up a better fight than Obama.

Basilsbest on October 4, 2012 at 9:56 AM

You say there’s a tingle down your leg, Chrissy? That would be a yellow stream…trickle-down despair.

RonRon on October 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Basilsbest on October 4, 2012 at 9:56 AM

That was just the first debate, you don’t think that Obama and his minions in the media are going to take that lying down do you? I don’t trust these guys as far as I can throw them.

Cindy Munford on October 4, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Love me the smell of fried “O” in the morning.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on October 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Bishop on October 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Agreed. The Presidential pardon machine will be warming up. How much you want to bet that Muma is released.

Bulletchaser on October 4, 2012 at 10:31 AM

The latest spin is that losing the first debate was all part of the plan by 0bama as some sort of rope-a-dope strategery. I say no. The thing most feared by the 0bama camp, the thing they were agitating Gallup to cook their polls, is a preference cascade. It remains to be seen, but last night may have been the beginning of a preference cascade for Romney. Throwing the first debate would not have been worth this risk.

Sekhmet on October 4, 2012 at 10:33 AM

The next report on jobless claims is due out very soon. A bad number and Obama is in an even bigger world of shite.
MJBrutus on October 4, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Can we stop wishing the worst economic news just to see an empty chair lose? If you think that good Econ news is going to save at this point, you’re dreaming. My brother is looking for a job, I would really like him to find one so he can move out?…thanks!

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on October 4, 2012 at 8:17 AM

I agree with you man. Unfortunately with the present Bozo in the White House nothing good can happen. It is time we get rid of the college professor who never worked at a real job and put in a good manager who knows how to run things.

logicman_1998 on October 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM

The thing is, I didn’t know Mitt Romney ran a
clock cleaning business…
ajacksonian on October 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM

—————-

LOL…apparently a floor mopping business as well.

Let’s hope Ryan can keep the momentum going with a strong performance against the gaffe machine. Romney needs to also remember that W and Reagan also lost their first debates, but went on to win re-election. He MUST do just as well or better in the next two debates.

ncconservative on October 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Nobody performs as badly as Obama did last night unless they checked out of the competition. That is the reason for the shoddy debate prep and not just arrogance on Obama’s part.

It is not only that Romney won the debate, it is that Obama threw the debate. He has given up and is hoping that his team and the press will pull him over the finish line.

I am thinking of the article a few days ago on John Edwards’ pollster who said during the Dem primaries that there was almost no chance of victory. That is what I am smelling here.

Mitsouko on October 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Check out new RNC ad, “The Smirk.” It will give you a clear idea how much more intelligent and articulate Romney is.

Pest on October 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Should add to my previous comment that John Edwards’ pollster told John privately that he wasn’t going to win. Hope that clarifies.

Mitsouko on October 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I just read a tweet by Michael Moore suggesting that the lighting was done to visually enhance Gov. Romney. These people aren’t right in their heads.

Cindy Munford on October 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Eastwood’s chair put up a better fight than Obama.

I’ll have to remember this one!

Pest on October 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM

“I’m a better debater than my debating coach” –Baraka Obama

Pest on October 4, 2012 at 10:55 AM

President Obama = Greatest living example of the stupidity and injustice of affirmative action…

Pest on October 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Not just another bump in the road for Baraka!

Pest on October 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM

The facebook posters on my page that are in the tank have only one thing to say in Obama’s defense. “What’s with Romneys swarmy smirk.” Obviously this loss hurt.

Bensonofben on October 4, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Same here, to which I commented, “U Mad?” They are hilarious!

MustLoveBlogs on October 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I do not have one criticism or one suggestion about doing something better or saying something stronger re Mitt’s performance. He killed it. He talked about our founding documents! About the immorality of the debt! About the exceptionalism of our founding

I slept like a baby last night.

PattyJ on October 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Hey, Julia never said she did debate prep.

Barnestormer on October 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Cindy Munford on October 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Lool :) the thing is Romney is objectively a very good looking individual, and it’s not me who says that, ‘science’ does :)….so, my point is that he does not really need any enhamvement (lignt wise orotherwise) to make him look good, same like bad lighting wouldn’t have much of an effect on him and wouldn’t change the fact that be looks good…and that hair is perfection :)… Now, bama, entirely different story, he mignt do with some good lighting, he’s no Denzel for sure :)…though he might be the only one in the whole world who thinks of himself as eye candy :)…but the truth is he looked really awful last night, tired and depressed, and frankly, a bit….how, to put it, oh yeah, not visually pleasing :)….

jimver on October 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM

So, is getting Romney’s boot extracted from his a$$ going to be covered by Obamacare?

Haiku Guy on October 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Haiku Guy on October 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Neah,he can go to ER for that :)

jimver on October 4, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Haiku Guy on October 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I don’t think its one of the approved IPAB procedures.

riddick on October 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

This coming from Michael Moore who could not be visually enhanced by holograms he is so ugly.

logicman_1998 on October 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

The opposite of a tingle is a shudder.

Buh-bye Obama.

jjrakman on October 4, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Should have read: ‘He doesn’t need any enhancement (light-wise or otherwise) to look good’ .

jimver on October 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Cindy Munford on October 4, 2012 at 10:18 AM

You’ve got a point, but the problem for Democrats is there are 4 debates not 3… and you (and they) are forgetting what comes next.

This, followed by the Ryan/Biden debate is going to set the mood. To avoid Obama going into the last two needing two wins for a net “tie” Biden has to out-debate Ryan.

Once that fails to appear, Obama is down 2/2 with 2 to go… there’s no “win” left possible and he’s playing for a draw at best.

We’ve got this debate holding for a week, then Ryan/Biden for 5 days. It’ll be the 16th of this month before Obama has another shot.

If Biden doesn’t stop this there will be 2 weeks of drubbing to lead this debate showdown.

It’s like being 0-3 in the world series… sure you might still pull it out in a 4 game sweep, but any fans who aren’t “die hard” about you have decided to start looking at next season already. You’re crushed by the momentum of your early losses, not enthused that you’ll “do better next time”.

If Obama had won, or even just tied… he’d be ok (I think nobody expects Biden to whoop Ryan so a tie & loss could be glossed over) but two drubbings to lead off the 4 debate set won’t be good optics for anyone who is persuadable on the Obama side.

gekkobear on October 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM

gekkobear on October 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I heard in a prior election that:

1) 75% of the audience leaves just after the first hour is up in the first debate.

2) The share declines with successive debates.

And in my opinion, 3) It takes a lot of ad buys to make up for a tepid performance in the first debate.

Finally, I love the media’s total miss of the fantasy “tax break” for shipping jobs overseas. This was after ignoring it for twenty years. I guess the president being made out to be a liar or making a very stupid mistake is not a gaffe.

The noise of indignation would be like that covering Vietnam body counts or “Mission Accomplished” if the right pulled it. This analogy is decent since the left is at war with capitalism.

IlikedAUH2O on October 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM

0 is Done! He’s down on the mat. No standing 8.

Bmore on October 4, 2012 at 10:13 PM