Open thread: The first debate

posted at 8:21 pm on October 3, 2012 by Allahpundit

9 p.m. ET all across the dial and streaming live at C-SPAN.org. Yesterday’s WSJ/NBC poll had 22 percent of likely voters saying that the debates will be “extremely important” to their vote. Today, Rasmussen finds 17 percent saying they’ll be “very important.” Either way, you’ve got roughly one-fifth of the electorate signaling some willingness to shift based on what happens tonight (and at the next two face-offs) in a race that’s statistically tied at the moment and arguably only now just beginning. To paraphrase “Honest Joe,” this is potentially a big effing deal.

Also a big effing deal? The media’s post-debate “narrative-building”:

Consider this experiment. In 2004, Kim Fridkin and other researchers at Arizona State University showed people footage of the third presidential debate, the debate plus 20 minutes of post-debate commentary on NBC, the debate plus 20 minutes’ time to read commentary on CNN.com. So who won the debate, Bush or Kerry? It depended on whether you watched the news…

People watching the debate tended to think that Kerry had won, as did those who read analysis on CNN. But those who watched the NBC post-morten had the opposite impression. Fridkin et al. write:

“Our findings suggest that voters’ attitudes are influenced by the arguments presented directly by the candidates during the debate as well as by the media’s instant analyses of the candidates’ debate performances….the impact of the candidates’ messages was often altered by the media’s instant analyses.”

The idea of NBC boosting Bush doesn’t compute for me any more than it does for you, but there you go. It’s not just the post-debate yammering that might influence viewers, either:

Through the art of video production, one candidate can be portrayed more favorably than the other. On October 7, 2008, then-Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain met for the second of three presidential debates. The format was a town hall debate. Both men roamed the floor and locked eyes with the audience members who asked questions. Numerous cameras were placed around the room to capture the candidates regardless of where they stood.

While equal time was given to each man for questions, the audience, when viewing the televised debate, experienced subtle differences in the camera angles for each candidate. Typically, when Obama spoke, the camera displayed a close up, eye-level image, filling the frame with his upper chest and face. This presented to the viewer a strong image of Obama. In contrast, when McCain spoke, the camera often showed a waist-up, medium shot, filling the frame with as much background as McCain himself. These shots made McCain appear small, which was exaggerated from time to time by camera angles that looked down on him. In addition, because of the wide shots of McCain, Obama had more face time on camera, as he was often shown in the background when McCain answered a question.

No one expects Romney to get a fair shake tonight in the aftermath, but one potential complicating factor is that not all of the media’s biases are strictly ideological. Ross Douthat (and Jon Chait) made a fair point recently about how their bias towards horse-race coverage casts a shadow of hopelessness over the candidate that’s fallen behind in the polls. Highly motivated, strongly partisan voters won’t care about that but low-information undecideds who pay attention only sporadically may be led to perceive the trailing candidate as, in Chait’s words, “faintly ridiculous,” which destroys the air of presidential viability that he’s trying to build. In Romney’s case, the ideological and horse-race biases overlap to work against the GOP, but they don’t always: John Cook of Gawker argued a few days ago that the media’s doing to Romney what it once did to both John Kerry and Al Gore, namely, pigeonholing him as a weird, stiff, hapless loser because his slight personal awkwardness is an obvious contrast with the confident charm of his opponent. It’s all about the narrative, and if they’ve got a narrative staring them in the face involving a guy who’s good at retail politics and a guy who’s not so good, that’s one that they’re going to grasp.

The punchline is that the media’s also biased for professional reasons towards having an exciting race to cover, and a post-debate “Romney comeback” narrative would serve that end. I’m not expecting it — I think ideological interests will trump all given that the race is so close — but if Mitt is sharp and composed, which he’s likely to be, you may see some “he helped himself tonight” chatter later even if there’s a reluctance by the press to pronounce him the winner. If you’re interested in watching the narrative sausage being made in real time, I recommend opening up a separate tab and following this feed of political journalists compiled by Matt Lewis. As with all Twitter communities, most of those people follow each other so there’ll be a plenty of perception insta-reinforcement afoot.

Tonight’s debate is supposed to be devoted to domestic policy but Libya likely will be mentioned. So will George W. Bush’s record, maybe by both sides. The 2007 Obama speech at Hampton U likely will not. Here’s the handy dandy Hot Air/Townhall Twitter widget, which should be buzzing until the wee hours. Enjoy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 43 44 45 46

Tonight, I’m left with this simple question: Who is this Mitt Romney and what have they done with the guy I’ve been watching for the last 5 years?
I

newtopia on October 3, 2012 at 11:39 PM

It’s called timing.

gh on October 3, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Hey where’s Kunta Kinte in the headlines? I feel like maybe the guy needs a hug right about now.
thirtyandseven on October 3, 2012 at 11:47 PM

A ProgressNow Online poll has Obama up sixty eleven.

tommyboy on October 3, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Patrick J. Buchanan summed it up nicely -
“I don’t know how he could have done a better job”

diogenes on October 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Very true. I can see a couple missed opportunities by Romney, but you can always do that in hindsight. This was a strong job by Romney, and about as good as he could ever do in the real world.

tom on October 3, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Watching CNN for a change. Their tears, they taste so good.

Laura in Maryland on October 3, 2012 at 11:49 PM

SparkPlug on October 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM

That was really cute!

Night Owl on October 3, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Thanks

,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-”–”-

SparkPlug on October 3, 2012 at 11:50 PM

{{{GH}}}

RushBaby on October 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Feeling the love and returning it.

ManlyRash on October 3, 2012 at 11:50 PM

KOOLAID2
yes sir, I didn’t save it…..;-(…… Just got off work, but was getting email from some great friends……..GO MITT…..

angrymike on October 3, 2012 at 11:50 PM

SparkPlug on October 3, 2012 at 11:50 PM

spozta be an Owl

SparkPlug on October 3, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I realize it’s early yet, but thoughts of the HumpBot do enter my mind now . . . can’t wait to actually see it here on Nov. 7.

OneVision on October 3, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Why would you not want the better man, the better leader in the Oval Office.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2012 at 11:44 PM

The better debater doesn’t assure the better politician in office.

libfreeordie (and others) will still vote for Obama because of ideology, and others to get “free stuff.”
I vote as conservative as I can, which in recent years amounts to a “lesser evil”.

listens2glenn on October 3, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Debate replay, 1:00AM Eastern (i.e. 66 minutes from timestamp here) on Fox News.

E-R

electric-rascal on October 3, 2012 at 11:54 PM

One thing’s for sure: donations to Mitt’s campaign will skyrocket after tonight.

OneVision on October 3, 2012 at 11:55 PM

…boy!…at the pace this thread was going…I thought we’d hit 50 pages by midnight…I got lost between the drinking… and high fiving my wife… once…I went and took a piss…came back and was 3 pages behind!

KOOLAID2 on October 3, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Not a one. Just like Sharpton.

cozmo on October 3, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I thought Romney was right on but I thought I might have misconstrued something Romney said that would make it hard for Romney to live up to along with Ryan to defend and the conservatives to eat without indigestion.

While it was being said it all sounded great. Just double checking cozmo.

athenadelphi on October 3, 2012 at 11:56 PM

The beginning of the end of a nightmare hawk.

Rovin on October 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM

From your moouth to God’s ears.

talkingpoints on October 3, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Tomorrows headline should read… The Press furious demanding answers from Obama campaign after Obama pissed away all of their hard work from the last six months…

Y314K on October 3, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Next Presidential Debate Moderator Candy furious with Axelrod for Obama’s performance… yeah.. She will be unbiased…

Y314K on October 3, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Romney’s performance tonight may soften the Press’ tact/treatment in the coming weeks if they surmise that Mitt could win this thing. The last thing you’d want to risk is being on the short end of a thinned out White House Press Pool.

newtopia on October 3, 2012 at 11:59 PM

…everybody burnt out?

KOOLAID2 on October 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Call The Police! Romney Beats Obama Over The Head With A Missing TelepromTer – Holy Cow!

Mittens has brass knuckles on as he pounds Obama

Romney Wins

The fireworks are on at Legal Insurrection.

We think Romney won big. The comments tell it all.

Lots of updates to come as we descend back to Earth.

Thank you Mitt Romney.

And as we wrote before, don’t let Big Media steal this victory. Fight back.

bluefox on October 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM

As Falstaff once said, “Have we not heard the chimes at midnight?”

Sleep well, my friends.

ManlyRash on October 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM

While it was being said it all sounded great. Just double checking cozmo.

athenadelphi on October 3, 2012 at 11:56 PM

The way he deflected his Achilles heel, Romneycare, was very tenth amendment and what he should have been saying since the start.

cozmo on October 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM

…Thank you Lord!

KOOLAID2 on October 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Marco Rubio was killing Obama and the Press on Medicare and the connection was lost… WTF CNN…

Y314K on October 4, 2012 at 12:01 AM

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog
Mitt “a little testy” said campaign spokesman for Little Testes.

dont taze me bro on October 4, 2012 at 12:01 AM

CNN is replaying the debate!

Brat on October 4, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I’d just like to add Happy 20th Anniversary Michelle and Barack it’s just too bad you’re spending it packing up your belongings at the WH.

TampaBayBull on October 4, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I bet Joe Biden is going all Alexander Haig now. “I am in control here.”

An Objectivist on October 4, 2012 at 12:03 AM

newtopia on October 3, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Don’t bank on it, they are going to have to go for blood now before the next debate

Conservative4ev on October 4, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Bill Maher ✔@billmaher i can’t believe i’m saying this, but Obama looks like he DOES need a teleprompter

Hily shot!

hawkdriver on October 4, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I

newtopia on October 3, 2012 at 11:39 PM

He won the Michigan primary against McCain because he deserved to win. McCain was asked about jobs going overseas and McCain made a remark the jobs were never coming back. Romney was asked his opinion and said of course they can come back. This is what Michigan needed to hear. The deal is, Romney said it like he meant it. I believed him and still do. If you felt like McCain, the only thing left is chasing windmills with Sancho Panza

Its a case of whose ya friend? Romney really believes America isnt over. When Romney plays it like he sees it, he does well.

I am glad he focused on people first, and not just stats

entagor on October 4, 2012 at 12:04 AM

The press is exposed and Obama is exposed and a made up media president.

Conservative4ev on October 4, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Just remember that Ryan is going to absolutely destroy Biden.

OxyCon on October 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Maybe Sandra Fluke should call and console Obama…

sothinbelle on October 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM

newtopia on October 3, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Hmmm…so does this mean you have more enthusiasm for Romney then, and he has a chance, by your standing?

Highlar on October 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM

E-R

electric-rascal on October 3, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Thanks. My DVR stopped so I missed some taping. Will catch it again.

bluefox on October 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM

As Falstaff once said, “Have we not heard the chimes at midnight?”

Sleep well, my friends.

ManlyRash on October 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM

You will stay till the bitter end and then some this time my friend. You belong here.

hawkdriver on October 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Just remember that Ryan Biden is going to absolutely destroy Biden.

OxyCon on October 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM

FIFY – whoda thunk that a politician would get in so much trouble for speaking the troof.

Laura in Maryland on October 4, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Hang in there, Biden’s up next and he should have no problem wiping the floor with Ryan.

Bishop on October 3, 2012 at 11:42 PM

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! I’m picturing Biden with his eyes wide in fear, sucking his thumb, curled up in a fetal position, with his underwear needing changed…

dominigan on October 4, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Remember the scene in Tommy Boy when the deer wakes up and destroys David Spade’s classic convertible and Chris Farley is standing there open mouth then utters, “I’ve seen a lot of things in my life; but that was AWESOME?”

I was Chris Farley tonight.

….Even though my DVR cut off closing statements : /

ruthiedog on October 4, 2012 at 12:10 AM

WOW!

My husband is bogarting the computer so I have been missing the discussion on HA. Thought I could just jump in for a minute and read a bit, but see over 4,000 comments.

My daughter, 21, voting for the first time watched the whole debate.
She was so excited and kept saying Romney was kicking ass.
I couldn’t watch, but from what I’m hearing, she was right.

I cracked up when she started quoted tweets from Sean Hannity to me.
I turned her on to Twitchy.com and she was reading to me tweets from #can’tafford4moreyears.

Fun to hear her blasting her friends who are clueless.

Jvette on October 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM

one of the things to watch for is the Ds…if they start tripping over themselves getting away from barry, we’ll know…maybe not this week, but if barry screws up next time, they’ll start cutting their own ads claiming they never knew him

r keller on October 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Bishop on October 3, 2012 at 11:42 PM

dominigan on October 4, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Part of me wants to give Biden credit if he shows up, but he may be too dumb to realize what’s in store.

talkingpoints on October 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM

TampaBayBull on October 4, 2012 at 12:03 AM

They get a nice lifelong vacay to Hawaii from what I hear, so I wouldn’t be too sad.

Just remember that Ryan is going to absolutely destroy Biden.

OxyCon on October 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Ryan is like I have to go after that?? Seriously??

Illinidiva on October 4, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Conservative4ev on October 4, 2012 at 12:04 AM

The NEXT debate is Ryan vs Biden …

… which will address the earlier comment about there not being “blood on the walls” …

… I would feel sorry for Biden but he deserves to be drawn and quartered for his part in the last 4 years.

God willing, the LSM will be dumb enough to lean even further to the left.

PolAgnostic on October 4, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Maybe Sandra Fluke should call and console Obama…

sothinbelle on October 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM

No, I think that’s his body man’s job.

TXUS on October 4, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Did it occur to anyone else that maybe Obama doesn’t want to be re-elected? Seriously, the guy seems willing to relinquish the reigns without any struggle. Do you think the Democrats are just pushing and pulling this donkey to the finish line.
Maybe some of Obama’s biggest fans will see that the guy wants to ride into the Hawaiian sunset and play golf. Maybe, for them, it’s time to let him go.

mojowt on October 4, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Inmate #1: “When they brought you in here, you was cryin’ like a p***y.”

Inmate #2: “Ya!”

That Beverly Hills Cop moment may be visited upon Crissy McTingles soon when fellow patients at the nearby asylum greet him shortly after his impending arrival.

OneVision on October 4, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Austan Goolsbee trying to spin the debate in Obama’s favor. Hardest job in America.

Dude’s stuttering worse than obama.

hawkdriver on October 4, 2012 at 12:19 AM

dominigan on October 4, 2012 at 12:07 AM

That sort of response from Biden would imply that he has an ability to recognize reality. I think that is giving him too much credit.

Rather, he probably just called BO to congratulate him on absolutely trouncing Romney tonight.

climbnjump on October 4, 2012 at 12:19 AM

The press is exposed and Obama is exposed and a made up media president.

Conservative4ev on October 4, 2012 at 12:04 AM

A really good point. Every time Zero is exposed like this as the lazy C- student that he is, it also exposes the media’s lies and corruption in building the myth of this man.

Rational Thought on October 4, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Gasp! The Emperor has no clothes!

OneVision on October 4, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Breaking News

Vice President Joe Biden, having watched the debate tonight, had what he thought to be a tingle up his leg. Turned out to be a trickle down it, as he remembered he has a debate with Paul Ryan coming up.

TXUS on October 4, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Presedential debate agenda:
Debate 1: Domestic Policy
Debate 2: Foreign Policy
Debate 3: Lady Parts

dont taze me bro on October 4, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I liked it when Romney said: “When you were left with this terrible economy you spent your time on Obamacare instead of jobs for the American people”.

Dollayo on October 4, 2012 at 12:23 AM

So, all the talk from the MSM is that Romney may have stepped in it, because he may have altered some of his positions tonight compared to what he has said on the campaign trail. The one they keep coming back to it Romney’s proposed tax cuts. Of course, it’s only a proposal, and Romney said that he wouldn’t sign anything that raised the deficit.

Obama should know all about this. After all, candidate Obama proposed health care reform without an individual mandate, closing Guantanamo,cutting the deficit in half, and growing the middle class. President Obama, not so much.

HarryBackside on October 4, 2012 at 12:24 AM

It’s easy to predict the MSM post debate headlines tomorrow. “Romney backtracks on tax plan”. Somewhere in very small print, they will mention the fact that Romney actually won the debate.

HarryBackside on October 4, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Hmmm…so does this mean you have more enthusiasm for Romney then..

Let’s not get crazy. But I was very impressed.

…and he has a chance, by your standing?

Highlar on October 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM

That he does. I’ve watched every debates since Regan/Mondale, and this was by far the biggest trouncing I’ve ever seen.

I also wanted folks to know I’m man enough to admit when I’m dead wrong about a prognostication. Not looking for sympathy, but wanted to express my congrats to the HA folks.

newtopia on October 4, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Romney was awesome tonight! This is what Romney did to Shannon O’Brien for the Mass governorship!!!!

RedSoxNation on October 4, 2012 at 12:27 AM

HarryBackside on October 4, 2012 at 12:27 AM

That’s going to be hard when 65% of country (per recent polling) says that were planning to watch the debates. If that many did watch, the MSM won’t be able to spin this for the President.

newtopia on October 4, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I don’t know when this info will be out, but it’s interesting.

bluefox on October 4, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Thank you dear Lord for answering our prayers tonight.

sherrimae on October 4, 2012 at 12:31 AM

newtopia on October 4, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Of course, and point well taken. I was just interested in your review of the debate from a personal perspective. And I agree…this was a clear trouncing of Obama.

Highlar on October 4, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Thank you dear Lord for answering our prayers tonight.

sherrimae on October 4, 2012 at 12:31 AM

AMEN

gophergirl on October 4, 2012 at 12:33 AM

newtopia on October 4, 2012 at 12:27 AM

It takes courage and principle to admit being wrong or making a mistake, so kudos to you for that:-)

I think many people were very surprised by Romney’s performance tonight. We were hopeful, but I think he exceeded our expectations.

bluefox on October 4, 2012 at 12:39 AM

All this means is that the lefty media pollsters will have to go from D+13 to D+25 to keep Barkey in the lead…No problem…

Strike Hornet on October 4, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Obama’s performance was so inept it is beyond spin.

I bet he smokes a carton of cigarettes this week and maybe do a little blow.

ashiya on October 4, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!
He just got Mitt-slapped.

sothinbelle on October 4, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Maybe Sandra Fluke should call and console Obama…

sothinbelle on October 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Sorry, but Sanda is busy right now trying to figure out who’s going to pay for her one night stands when Barkey loses…

Strike Hornet on October 4, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Wait … 4,470 comments on a single thread?

Dude…

Jaibones on October 4, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Won’t happen. Even pollsters know there is limits to what they can do…and it’s been laughable already.

Also…keep in mind the numbers won’t move for a couple days as Rass and Gallup trackers are 3 and 7 days (respectively) rolling. They’ll start to move on Friday and continue through the weekend. My gut says, I still can’t believe I’m saying this, that Romney gets at least a 5-8 point bump…but we all know how good my gut has been lately, so..

newtopia on October 4, 2012 at 12:46 AM

bluefox on October 4, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Thank you, sir.

newtopia on October 4, 2012 at 12:46 AM

EXPOSED

long_cat on October 4, 2012 at 12:47 AM

,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-”–”-

SparkPlug on October 3, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Oh my gosh, thanks! I like it so much I’m stealing it!

Night Owl on October 4, 2012 at 12:47 AM

sothinbelle,
Not a KO, but some broken ribs.
Getting harder to breathe.
R/R

dirtengineer on October 4, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Stream of consciousness since no one is reading this:

Went to a wake for a schoolmate, bless her soul. Good friends, childhood friends, family … smiles and hugs and tears and laughter.

On the way to the bar (oh, yeah) I caught 5 minutes of the debate. Mitt was talking about tax policy. My daughter is a tax accountant and I have a minor in Economics … and I couldn’t follow his calm, confident, and matter-of-fact statements on the various mechanisms which would be appropriate and effective to deal with a flatter tax rate structure in keeping revenue strong and fair.

An apparently now senile and bumbling Jim Lehrer then blathered about the great “lead-in” this created for his next question to Obama, which Obama chose not to answer. Rather, he went on a two minute rambling, mumbling, bumbling, disjointed and meaningless statement that left me in tears of joy … ZOMG – he’s completely effing this up!

I see now that this was just a hint of O’Dumbo’s Bad Night. Heh.

Jaibones on October 4, 2012 at 12:52 AM

The good ship Obama, down at the bow and taking on water…

claudius on October 4, 2012 at 1:01 AM

I haven’t heard anyone else say this yet (haven’t read EVERYthing though…things moved too fast here earlier), but I think it also takes a bit of balls on Mitt’s part to come onto a debate moderated by PBS talking head and say…I’m going to cut your federal funding. Good on Mitt for that one!

Highlar on October 4, 2012 at 1:05 AM

HarryBackside on October 4, 2012 at 12:27 AM

No headline is

Romney Attacks and disrespects president, President show cool and calmness

Conservative4ev on October 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM

To sum up what I saw tonight:
Mitt Romney looked like he wanted to be president and Obama looked like he wanted to be anywhere else but where he was.

dirtseller on October 4, 2012 at 1:29 AM

bluefox on October 4, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Thank you, sir.

newtopia on October 4, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Your welcome. I’ve been reading other websites to see other comments. So far most agree with this thread, even those you think would not do so.

Some are surprised, shocked, sad, angry etc. Unexpected response from many that are clearly on the left.

bluefox on October 4, 2012 at 1:52 AM

oops, that s/b You’re. Getting late and sleepy:-)

bluefox on October 4, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Watching the debate again.
Mitt is brilliant! Masterful!

Damn you, Anne Coulter.
Are you going to be Mitt’s WH Press Secretary, perhaps?

Thank you for your hard work, Mitt and Ann and family.
We can hardly wait for you to be sworn in.

The first time in all these years to be so excited that our guy was great and can articulate every single point.
Even better than my Ronnie Reagan.

Typicalwhitewoman on October 4, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Whew, after that, all I can recommend for Obama is a sitz bath and plenty Preparation H.

esnap on October 4, 2012 at 2:11 AM

So CNN’s Wolfie claims that Obama spoke for only 4 more minutes than Romney. Seems more like it was 40 more minutes. That idiot Obama wouldn’t stfu–that’s why Romney had to jump in, to get his equal time. And I disagree with those who think Lehrer wasn’t trying to help Obama bcuz to me it looked like he was … and Obama still blew it! Love it that Romney won the coin toss and got to choose to go last.

stukinIL4now on October 4, 2012 at 2:28 AM

spozta be an Owl

SparkPlug on October 3, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I thought it was humpbot

IowaWoman on October 4, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Now, all of you doubters on this blog who were hoping it was Santorum, Palin or Ron Paul up on that stage tonight…

What say you now?

You know that nobody could have done this better.

Omega_Rage on October 4, 2012 at 3:05 AM

mojowt on October 4, 2012 at 12:16 AM

It did to me.

Romney is so close to Obama on political beliefs Romney would be the better Obama.

Maybe at the end of the last debate Obama will ask Romney to make it a bipartisan ticket with Obama the VP.

At times tonight it was a love fest. Seriously though could Obama have done a better job sabotaging his reelection chances than he has? Taxmageddon, sequestration, Libya, Egypt, Iran and on and on. Obama renewed the Bush cuts before why not now? We are being played for fools.

Good night all.

Steveangell on October 4, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Obowma doesn’t want to be president, he simply wants the perks of the position and the power.

Romney destroyed Obowma.

dthorny on October 4, 2012 at 3:09 AM

What say you now?

You know that nobody could have done this better.

Omega_Rage on October 4, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Any would have done far better tonight but would also have been many points ahead already.

The country hates Obama that it is close is Romneys failing.

Steveangell on October 4, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Wow 4400 posts since I went to bed last night at 8pm? I slept well =)

TX-96 on October 4, 2012 at 5:38 AM

I watched the debate on Fox News and then switched over to MSNBC for about five minutes after the debate to catch Chrissy in full meltdown………awesome!!! Mathews and the rest of the LSM can’t understand what a Wuss in Chief they have created over the last 5 years of softball questions, cover-ups and BJ’s. Obama had to face a real man for the first time who had the audacity to call him uninformed, clueless and dead wrong. Expect the Left to go all out bats**t panic mode this week. It’s gonna get real real ugly ugly from here on out. Obama is a one term POTUS!!!!

dddave on October 4, 2012 at 5:49 AM

Iowahawk…

Is. On. Fire.

bigmacdaddy on October 4, 2012 at 6:13 AM

What this shows is what the base has excoriated the GOP for all along. If you fight the fight instead of cowering, you will win, because you are right and they are all foam pillars and faux halos. They cannot admit they seek to destroy a free America. Finally someone on the right puts forth a challenge and ignores their PC attacks.

Don L on October 4, 2012 at 6:18 AM

newtopia on October 3, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Conservative4ev on October 4, 2012 at 12:04 AM

They’ve already been putting out a couple of less “storm troopers for the left” articles. They are done for now. As every stockbroker knows, don’t put all you eggs in one basket.

The MSM is history for decades. A reputation for radical lying is impossible to reverse, harder than virginity.

Don L on October 4, 2012 at 6:24 AM

I am walking around today, grinning like a mule eating yellow jackets.
My take.

kingsjester on October 4, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Only about 3 out of 24 I believe said they think Obama won the debate.

jazzmo on October 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM

3 out of four? I wonder which of his four family members was honest?

Don L on October 4, 2012 at 6:41 AM

OxyCon on October 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM

That thought is destroying the moment.

Cleombrotus on October 4, 2012 at 6:49 AM

Good job, Mitt!!

Turn and burn today!! Just a few more weeks to go!!

Khun Joe on October 4, 2012 at 6:59 AM