Open thread: The first debate

posted at 8:21 pm on October 3, 2012 by Allahpundit

9 p.m. ET all across the dial and streaming live at C-SPAN.org. Yesterday’s WSJ/NBC poll had 22 percent of likely voters saying that the debates will be “extremely important” to their vote. Today, Rasmussen finds 17 percent saying they’ll be “very important.” Either way, you’ve got roughly one-fifth of the electorate signaling some willingness to shift based on what happens tonight (and at the next two face-offs) in a race that’s statistically tied at the moment and arguably only now just beginning. To paraphrase “Honest Joe,” this is potentially a big effing deal.

Also a big effing deal? The media’s post-debate “narrative-building”:

Consider this experiment. In 2004, Kim Fridkin and other researchers at Arizona State University showed people footage of the third presidential debate, the debate plus 20 minutes of post-debate commentary on NBC, the debate plus 20 minutes’ time to read commentary on CNN.com. So who won the debate, Bush or Kerry? It depended on whether you watched the news…

People watching the debate tended to think that Kerry had won, as did those who read analysis on CNN. But those who watched the NBC post-morten had the opposite impression. Fridkin et al. write:

“Our findings suggest that voters’ attitudes are influenced by the arguments presented directly by the candidates during the debate as well as by the media’s instant analyses of the candidates’ debate performances….the impact of the candidates’ messages was often altered by the media’s instant analyses.”

The idea of NBC boosting Bush doesn’t compute for me any more than it does for you, but there you go. It’s not just the post-debate yammering that might influence viewers, either:

Through the art of video production, one candidate can be portrayed more favorably than the other. On October 7, 2008, then-Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain met for the second of three presidential debates. The format was a town hall debate. Both men roamed the floor and locked eyes with the audience members who asked questions. Numerous cameras were placed around the room to capture the candidates regardless of where they stood.

While equal time was given to each man for questions, the audience, when viewing the televised debate, experienced subtle differences in the camera angles for each candidate. Typically, when Obama spoke, the camera displayed a close up, eye-level image, filling the frame with his upper chest and face. This presented to the viewer a strong image of Obama. In contrast, when McCain spoke, the camera often showed a waist-up, medium shot, filling the frame with as much background as McCain himself. These shots made McCain appear small, which was exaggerated from time to time by camera angles that looked down on him. In addition, because of the wide shots of McCain, Obama had more face time on camera, as he was often shown in the background when McCain answered a question.

No one expects Romney to get a fair shake tonight in the aftermath, but one potential complicating factor is that not all of the media’s biases are strictly ideological. Ross Douthat (and Jon Chait) made a fair point recently about how their bias towards horse-race coverage casts a shadow of hopelessness over the candidate that’s fallen behind in the polls. Highly motivated, strongly partisan voters won’t care about that but low-information undecideds who pay attention only sporadically may be led to perceive the trailing candidate as, in Chait’s words, “faintly ridiculous,” which destroys the air of presidential viability that he’s trying to build. In Romney’s case, the ideological and horse-race biases overlap to work against the GOP, but they don’t always: John Cook of Gawker argued a few days ago that the media’s doing to Romney what it once did to both John Kerry and Al Gore, namely, pigeonholing him as a weird, stiff, hapless loser because his slight personal awkwardness is an obvious contrast with the confident charm of his opponent. It’s all about the narrative, and if they’ve got a narrative staring them in the face involving a guy who’s good at retail politics and a guy who’s not so good, that’s one that they’re going to grasp.

The punchline is that the media’s also biased for professional reasons towards having an exciting race to cover, and a post-debate “Romney comeback” narrative would serve that end. I’m not expecting it — I think ideological interests will trump all given that the race is so close — but if Mitt is sharp and composed, which he’s likely to be, you may see some “he helped himself tonight” chatter later even if there’s a reluctance by the press to pronounce him the winner. If you’re interested in watching the narrative sausage being made in real time, I recommend opening up a separate tab and following this feed of political journalists compiled by Matt Lewis. As with all Twitter communities, most of those people follow each other so there’ll be a plenty of perception insta-reinforcement afoot.

Tonight’s debate is supposed to be devoted to domestic policy but Libya likely will be mentioned. So will George W. Bush’s record, maybe by both sides. The 2007 Obama speech at Hampton U likely will not. Here’s the handy dandy Hot Air/Townhall Twitter widget, which should be buzzing until the wee hours. Enjoy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 40 41 42 43 44 46

Eastwood could use that to make an effective ad, with his narration. : )

listens2glenn on October 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Tonights big winner:

Clint Eastwood.

(lol)

Tim_CA on October 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

ManlyRash on October 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Haven’t seen you much anymore. What a game :D

El_Terrible on October 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I suspect he’ll come loaded for bear in the next debate.

chumpThreads on October 3, 2012 at 10:41 PM

The more debate prep he has to do to make up for this fiasco the less time he’s in Ohio and Virginia.

Mark1971 on October 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Contribute everyone mitt needs money

Conservative4ev on October 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

OBL
OBL
OBL
OBL
Over and over again.

rogerb on October 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM

The crowd chanted, “Islamic, Islamic. The right of our prophet will not die.” Some shouted, “We are all Osama,” referring to al-Qaida leader bin Laden. Young men, some in masks, sprayed graffiti on the walls.

Remember when you kill a terrorist you just create more …right?

I think if that is the rule it is the rule whether one is a D or an R.

CW on October 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

HOW MUCH WOOD CAN A WOODCHUCK CHUCK???

Bishop on October 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

ManlyRash on October 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Heh.

I remember you telling us that McCain was going to crush Obama, so thank you for this!

sharrukin on October 3, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Now I get it. Never heard of ManlyRash but I guess everybody knows he was joking and I’m the goof-ball who didn’t get it.

Is that right? So the joke is one me? I hate when that happens, and it happens a lot.

SparkPlug on October 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

ebrown2 on October 3, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Another

gh on October 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Well, there was a man and a mouse onstage tonight! The stammering spoiled child who is our apologizer in chief got his azz kicked!

bluemarlin on October 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Yep. ; )

Bmore on October 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM

There IS urine spurting out of Matthews…………..

FlaMurph on October 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM

“The Thrill is Gone…”

ebrown2 on October 3, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Yes, it is. . . : )

listens2glenn on October 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM

They are beginning to recover themselves on MSNBC. “Perhaps he should stop being so cool and dignified and reserved.”

Alana on October 3, 2012 at 10:54 PM

that would be even better; he’ll overcorrect and come out nasty. Stick a fork in him.

If it’s up to Biden, as MSNBC also says (seems like they’re grasping at straws), then stick a fork in ‘em and warm up the fat lady, ’cause it’s all over but for the cryin’!

(how’s that for mixed metaphors?)

JeffWeimer on October 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM

ManlyRash on October 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I remember. Welcome back!

conservative pilgrim on October 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM

My only fear is that the liberal media now feels the need to save BHO by becoming even more of a shill for Obama. Get ready for the backlash and the propaganda firehose 24/7.

Over30 on October 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM

The best part was Romney opening up in emotion just before his closing statement, when he blurted about people hurting. I am going to have to replay it, but that wash of sincerity nailed his reason for running for this office.

There was no better time for him to spark

His closing statement then became a wrap of that moment. It made him alive, and it made Obama appear dull (not to Obama supporters, but to fence sitters who are hurting)

Obama, in the opener, purposely repeating that Romney’s plan adds to the deficit, even after Romney said his plan will not allow any increase to the deficit, came across very sleazy indeed. Obama did himself some harm there. The moderator tried to feed Obama an out, and Obama did not take the hint. Obama ended up looking too stupid to switch hit – probably because he is

The old trick of repeating a lie needs finesse. Obie didn’t know when to fold.

Obama’s problem is a lack of personal warmth, coupled with a willingness to make the cheap shot. He only warms up when attacking rich people. While that works for the anti rich, it gains Obama little with fence sitters who are not rich but find no reason yet to love Obama. To love someone is to trust them

I think Obama blew it. He has to morph for the second debate, and the first impression will prevent serious morph, not to mention the lack of talent

I wish it had not been a debate between a decent businessman and a creep, but it was. Had it been a debate between Romney, and say, Hubert Humphrey, it would have been entrancing and a real moment for the nation

Romney, you did a great job tonight

entagor on October 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM

B, spark
great to hear, I’ll be back to laugh a little later……….;-)

angrymike on October 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Mark1971 on October 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

He’ll just spend more on ads lying about Romney’s tax plan.

CW on October 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I proposed this question to an ABR co-worker- You own a business and have a choice between 2 people to run it. Obama or Romney?
And that was before the debate.
I think the choice couldn’t be clearer.

redridinghood on October 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM

ManlyRash on October 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM

*clink

equanimous on October 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Bmore on October 3, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Welcome home, Bmore! Good to see you!:)

thatsafactjack on October 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

My Liberal friend says Obama was drugged, out of it, lethargic, tired, placid, not the usual agressive sharp combative man…

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

Scrumpy on October 3, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Hey, Scump-a-saurous Rex, tell your liberal friend, that “was” obama and he will not be better need time.

Mitt will be more confident and Obama will be more petty.

:-)

hawkdriver on October 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Mark1971 on October 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

He’s rattled.

The next debate is already a mind-f4ck for him.

The next one will be GREAT.

Tim_CA on October 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Just saw on Facebook call Romney a Bully – my response:

This wasn’t bullying, the President got schooled because he’s exceptionally arrogant and surrounded by sycophants.
Maybe next time he won’t complain about doing his homework.

hoakie on October 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I cannot wait until they debate Obama’s disasterous foreign policy.
Can’t you hear Mitt saying—”killing OBL is not a foreign policy”.

This debate shows what happens when an arrogant media-fabricated genius coddled and surrounded by yes-men meets a motivated, experienced, well-educated and well-prepared grown man.

bailey24 on October 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Oct 11 Vice Presidential Debate -
Foreign and domestic topics

diogenes on October 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

ROFL!!! I posted on Facebook…

“Where was this great orator Obama? The last time I heard that many ‘uhhhs’ was when I was giving a speech in Middle School English class!”

And immediately, a classmate from school commented…

“You didn’t have that many!”

dominigan on October 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

WOW – just WOW. Obama got spanked all the way to Hooterville.

The Rogue Tomato on October 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

wolfie has his fact checkers ready to pounce on mitt

cmsinaz on October 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

SparkPlug on October 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Yeah, he was like a bitter-ender with rally round the flag calls and secret polling data.

sharrukin on October 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

SparkPlug on October 3, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Manly was confident McCain would win–enough to promise a self-imposed exile if he didn’t.

BTW welcome back!

INC on October 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

WOW. So he stayed away all that time? Amazing.

SparkPlug on October 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

SparkPlug on October 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

You ain’t seen nothin’ yet SP….stand by and grab hold.

Rovin on October 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

God Bless America

gh on October 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

ManlyRash on October 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Hey. Welcome back, quitter! :P

lorien1973 on October 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I listened to the debate while following this thread. Those of you who remember me from those dark days leading up to Election Night in November of 2008 will understand (and hopefully explain to the newbies) my following assessment:

Obama trounced Romney tonight and will emerge victorious on November 6. I don’t know how I know this…I just know it.

ManlyRash on October 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Okay . . . . . I’m sorry you feel that way, but okay.

listens2glenn on October 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM

CBS news guy on Twitter says instant poll results are Romney won – 46%, Obama won – 22%. 56% have better opinion of Romney.

Mark1971 on October 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM

ManlyRash on October 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM

And where the heck is Grue?

Let’s go! There are purple lips to bust.

eyesky on October 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Obama came face to face tonight with his wood chipper. Good job, Romney, now ratchet it up.

TXUS on October 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Obama and Lehrer were owned tonight.

Good for Mitt…and us. Now, keep it up. I don’t care what it takes. Anybody but Obama.

Much as the bipartisanship nonsense gave me heartburn, Romney has a point. Let’s see Obama trying to be a governor of Kansas and accomplish anything. I think tonight helped with fencesitters.

BuckeyeSam on October 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Scrumpy on October 3, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Mitt will be more confident and Obama will be more petty.

:-)

hawkdriver on October 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Everybody loves Scrumpy. (:

SparkPlug on October 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM

ManlyRash on October 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Welcome back. I remember you well from 2008.

Brat on October 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Sheepish Obama dominated by factual sheepdog !

Sandybourne on October 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Rachel Madcow on BSNBC is now playing Obama’s lies as refutation that Romney called O a liar over the 5 trillion figure.

riverrat10k on October 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I suspect he’ll come loaded for bear in the next debate.

chumpThreads on October 3, 2012 at 10:41 PM

No I’m sorry, the teleprompter will still not be allowed…

WhoU4 on October 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM

And I have to give you credit Dole Delmonte. You sound just as stupid as hawkdriver as you do under your own handle.

chumpThreads on October 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Hi Chimp! I see you’re especially angry tonight. Need I remind you that O’bamna is going after the 30% of the High School Dropout Vote that he didn’t get 4 years ago?

Here’s a chumpThreads Blast from the Past from a few months ago, when chump learned for the very first time that Dear Leader had in fact set a new American election record by getting 70% of the high school dropout vote:

With all due respect (and by that I mean none) you are without question one of the most grasping, ignorant and least relevant people who comment here.

I think I put you on “ignore” previously, but I’m now cranking it up to “in perpetuity throughout the universe forever” ignore.

And please don’t respond. I want to ignore you just as you are.

chumpThreads on March 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Thanks for Playing!

Del Dolemonte on October 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Over30 on October 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I’m not so sure. I think from what we’ve been seeing is that many of them are realizing that they’ve been pushing the American people too much and they aren’t buying it any more. Any more pushing and they will lose their trust completely, and then Romney wins by default.

dominigan on October 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Must’ve been a good night to drag Manlyrash out of his hole!

lorien1973 on October 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM

SparkPlug on October 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

But Manly lied about the donuts. LIED. Effin liar.

Bishop on October 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM

The best thing about tonight is that Romney finally got to speak to the American people unfiltered by the MSM, and now clips of what he said are being played over and over and over again as the talking heads try to dissect things.

I predict that Mitt will REALLY clean Obozo’s clock on foreign policy. That debate will make tonight look tame. Obozo’s team should truly be afraid now.

OneVision on October 3, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Do we get a bounce in the polls is the question???

MGardner on October 3, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Exactly. He doesn’t have the experience and mental acuity to deal with Romney.

Cody1991 on October 3, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Frankly, Obama got off light last time around with McCain who also is not quick on his feet.

BryanS on October 3, 2012 at 11:05 PM

hawkdriver on October 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

You got it matey!! Scump-a-saurous Rex Like it!! lol

Scrumpy on October 3, 2012 at 11:05 PM

ManlyRash, please stick around this time. Take it from the liberals: you do not have to follow through with your promises. Besides, Hot Air has been weaker without you here, my friend.

Everybody:

d o n a t e

the new aesthetic on October 3, 2012 at 11:05 PM

mitt has a gender problem according to gloria borger

cmsinaz on October 3, 2012 at 11:05 PM

TXUS on October 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Barky >> Mulch

SparkPlug on October 3, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Charles Krauthammer just mealy mouthed Romney’s win.

No, Charles he didn’t just win by two touchdowns.

It was San Francisco humiliating the Jets 34 – 0

No, it wasn’t a 9 – 6 decision on 15 rounds.

If a prizefight gets as lopsided as this one did, they stop the fight.

This was an public embarassment of someone who was long overdue for it!

PolAgnostic on October 3, 2012 at 11:05 PM

But Manly lied about the donuts. LIED. Effin liar.

Bishop on October 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Let it go, man. There’ve been plenty of donuts since. And will be in the future.

lorien1973 on October 3, 2012 at 11:05 PM

SparkPlug on October 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Not to worry. He’s a nice guy.

INC on October 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I loathe Hannity, but he just called it a Rocky-Mountain Beatdown.

BuckeyeSam on October 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Who is this ManlyRash?

Lud love me, such conjecturing could drive a man insane
And I’m the one to set this gossip quite to rest
It’s really AllahPundit
Yes, indeed, and I’m the Queen of Spain

Is the man a hero
Or a drunk?
A fiddling Nero
Or just someone with spunk?

I believe he’s all along been upon these shores
Dancing ’round these hallowed halls
After all, with all his wild predictions he was known
For splendid balls

PercyB on October 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I was just checking comments on Facebook and my liberal niece was moaning during the debate how the moderator wasn’t keeping Romney in check and he needed to control the debate more. I replied that Lehrer gave Obama more time, and he still couldn’t do anything with it. Go Mitt!

mathgal60 on October 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

Scrumpy

If the Ulstermann Report is to be believed, it’s more like he was off his drugs, or he missed his chant session before the debate.

xblade on October 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Alana on October 3, 2012 at 10:54 PM

LOL! That’s great advice for Bar-ack-a! Show us that angry black man. Affect that phony ‘hood accent (for even more authenticity). Demand to know why there are not more federal dollahs being funneled into black neighborhoods! Throw in a few references to evil whitey while you’re at it.

Listen to your fan-boys at MSNBC, Barry. They’re political experts, you know!

AZCoyote on October 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM

TBS sells more Big Bird dolls than Hasbro sells GI Joes. THEY DON’T NEED TAX MONEY!!

Dollayo on October 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Patrick J. Buchanan summed it up nicely -
“I don’t know how he [Romney] could have done a better job”

diogenes on October 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Hubby just came out and said that Zero COULD NOT HAVE DONE A JOB ! Problem is, that’s all he’s got, and was totally whooped !! LOL.

pambi on October 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Obama was exposed. If it’s not a 4% swing in the post debate pols (RCP composite) then I will ban myself from HA for a couple of days.

BoxHead1 on October 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Welcome home, Bmore! Good to see you!:)

thatsafactjack on October 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Good to be home and great to be seen! ; )

Bmore on October 3, 2012 at 11:07 PM

There was a young man from Nantucket…..

tommyboy on October 3, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Giuliani giving it to the ONE on MSNBC.

climbnjump on October 3, 2012 at 11:07 PM

WOW. So he stayed away all that time? Amazing. ManlyRash is even cooler than myself, even. I’m glad he is back too I guess, unless he beats me up for being stupid. – SparkPlug on October 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I’m a man of my word, Sparky. You have nothing to fear from an old bulldog who is content to sit on the porch these days and watch the young’uns horseplay in the meadow.

ManlyRash on October 3, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I never, ever watch MSNBC. I had to tune in tonight to see their heads exploding.

I was not disappointed.

Sharpton’s head: BOOM!!!
Maddow’s head: BOOM!!!
Lawrence O’Donnell’s head: BOOM!!!
Chris Matthew’s head: BOOM!!!
Governor O’Malley’s head: BOOM!!!!

Sweet, sweet schadenfreude.

UltimateBob on October 3, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I wasn’t going to watch because I was so nervous, but a friend came over, and boy am I glad I watched! Going to donate now! Again!

Paddington on October 3, 2012 at 11:07 PM

ABCNews has a poll online about who won the debate. Obama is winning. I say its time for us to vote! (Scroll down, its on the right side)

dominigan on October 3, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Don’t you love how Obama kept looking for the moderator to bail him out like the media has since 2007.

bailey24 on October 3, 2012 at 11:08 PM

OMG now she is saying it’s a conspiracy, and the opposition drugged Obama!! Liberals are loopy!!!!

Scrumpy on October 3, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Wow! The Frank Luntz focus group….wow!

jazzmo on October 3, 2012 at 11:08 PM

pambi on October 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Ooops. Insert A BETTER JOB, there.

pambi on October 3, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Article on Matthews Freaking out…

WhoU4 on October 3, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Hahaha the true believer with his Trotsky glasses

Conservative4ev on October 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Luntz has 24 people: 13 Obama, 11 McCain.

I think about 75% are in Romney’s corner.

BuckeyeSam on October 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM

As you can tell from my name, I am a coach, so I’ll tell everyone the same thing I tell my players. Enjoy this one tonight, but tomorrow we get right back to work. This thing is long from being over. We may have won a big game tonight, but our goal is the championship, and we won’t stop fighting until we get it. Let’s not get cocky. Let’s keep up the good work and finish the job.

HTnFBCoachnTX1980 on October 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM

If the Ulstermann Report is to be believed
xblade on October 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM

That’s the eternal question. It’s at least encouraging reading.

gh on October 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM

giuliani says its the biggest loss in a presidential debate he’s ever seen.

saw him as befuddled, looking for his teleprompter.

renalin on October 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Luntz group on Fox really interesting, if no one has mentioned it ye.t

ConArtist in Tampa on October 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM

We’re going to be eating spaghetti and hamburger helper in this house for a while, we’re going to finally send Romney a donation.

UpTheCreek on October 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I suspect he’ll come loaded for bear in the next debate.

chumpThreads on October 3, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Impossible. Obama doesn’t believe in guns.

dominigan on October 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Frank Duntz group going all in for Romney?

SouthernGent on October 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Welcome back, Manly !!
I remember you, too. :-)

pambi on October 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I think Obama was just really working hard on his accent tonight, that’s why he seemed so distracted! ?

ShadowsPawn on October 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Mitt used a KGB poison-barb ring to inject Bark with a light dose of Valium as they shook hands, there can be no other explanation for Barky’s lame performance.

Bishop on October 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

WOW. So he stayed away all that time? Amazing.

SparkPlug on October 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Don’t feel bad – ManlyRash had me believing him last time around. He was very persuasive!

Rosmerta on October 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Even though Lehrer let Obozo speak for 4 more minutes, I think Lehrer was a very fair moderator. He did let Romoney exceed his alotted time, too, not just Obozo. And his questions were balanced. He was a decent moderator, the best I have seen in a long time.

OneVision on October 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

ManlyRash on October 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Ha, ha, ha. I remember you from ’08 and I REALLY hope your…er…track record for making predictions holds!

Rational Thought on October 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Mitt used a KGB poison-barb ring to inject Bark with a light dose of Val.ium as they shook hands, there can be no other explanation for Barky’s lame performance.

Bishop on October 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Andrew Sullivan: “10.29 pm. How is Obama’s closing statement so fucking sad, confused and lame? He choked. He lost. He may even have lost the election tonight.”

Raquel Pinkbullet on October 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Luntz’s focus group (meh, FL is not all that greeat in my book) was OVERWHELMED by Romney’s performance.

Interesting …

Bipartisan experience was a winner for Romney.

PolAgnostic on October 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

INC on October 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Thanks. You are the one who taught me about Bishing. I almost got hooked, almost.

Thanks again. Even with all this help is still manage to step in it when I horseplay in the meadow.

SparkPlug on October 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Hey. Welcome back, quitter! :P
lorien1973 on October 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Manly left Hot Air, but he did not leave the party or the cause. I know you’re sayin’ this in jest lorien, (and it’s well deserved), but it will be nice to have him back in this race.

Rovin on October 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Marco Rubio on Hannity! Mmmmmmmmmmm

SouthernGent on October 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Valium.

Bishop on October 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

ManlyRash on October 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM

PercyB on October 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Time warp.
Epic evening. Epic.

eyesky on October 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

But Manly lied about the donuts. LIED. Effin liar. – Bishop on October 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Would a box full of Dunkin Donuts crullers effect a means of absolution, Your Grace?

ManlyRash on October 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM