Team Obama’s “war on women” meme just got really flattering

posted at 6:41 pm on October 2, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Not that their fake war on wimmenses!-crusade ever really had a real shred of credibility, mind you, but at least things like “reproductive rights” and “the Lilly Ledbetter Act” kinda’, sorta’ sound like attempts at seriousness, even if it’s only deceptively so.

Last week, the Obama campaign unveiled a range of graphically attractive but intellectually bereft e-cards trying to convince women that a Republican administration would take us back to the puritanical days of yore in which women had no control over their health care decisions (for goodness’ sake, what mature adult would send a plea like this to their mother?), and earlier today, this appeared on the campaign’s tumblr (the Weekly Standard got the screenshot):

The image has since been removed, and the Obama campaign had a statement (via Katrina Trinko at National Review) claiming that “we have a review process for our online content and this piece did not go through our regular review.  When it was discovered, it was taken down,” but whatever — review process, shmeview process. The point is, one succinct e-card just summed up what this entire “Women for Obama” campaign is really about: Getting women to stop voting with their brains and instead get them to vote purely on gender-identification because those “scary” Republicans are going to take away “their rights” and “undo all the progress we’ve made,” or something. Here’s a fresh exhibit B attesting to what’s really going on here:

Some of the money lines, from the various celebrities:

• “Unfortunately, I think in this election, there is a strong contrast between the positions of this president, who believes in women, who trusts women to make responsible decisions, and frankly, the Republican party leadership, who seems to want to take away the right, and put government in between women and their doctors.”
  • “It feels like we’re in a different era. I mean, an era that I have never known in my lifetime, that is challenging and trying to dismantle every gain that women, that women’s rights have accomplished over the last 30, 40, 50 years.”
  • “I feel safer knowing that my president understands the value of women’s rights.”

As we’re reminded throughout the video, these ladies’ authority seems to rest on the fact that they are actual women. Well, so I am, so let’s get real: There is nothing more unempowering to women, or just people in general, than the attitude that a big government needs to nanny our decisions and pay for all of our wants and needs. Notice how this ad tries to make it seem like Romney & company are the ones who would get the government more involved in our lives, when actually, the exact opposite is true. Republicans don’t want to do anything scary like “ban contraception” or “take away equal pay for equal work.” I don’t care what you do, ladies — just take responsibility for your own choices and pay for them yourself. There are now more women than men in higher education; women outpace men in terms of income until they choose to put their careers on hold to have children (and are now even catching up on that!); and women have never had more freedom to live their own lives and make their own decisions. Nobody is trying to deprive women of those gains or equal footing, and attitudes like the above only undermine that freedom.

Comments

Team Obama’s “war on women” meme just got really flattering

Whew! Almost didn’t come in. Thought it said “fattening”.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on October 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Leftists are never liberal, nor progressive. They just stole the terms and the R morons let them have them.

Schadenfreude on October 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

They have a review process?

After how many beers?

ORconservative on October 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

If women really want true equality they need to be responsible for themselves, stop expecting any entity to pay their way, including the federal government, and pay their own way in the world.

thatsafactjack on October 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Oh, and while I’m on the subject “Vote like your lady parts depend on it.” is so beyond offensive that its indefensible by any terms.

thatsafactjack on October 2, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Women have never been that fond of men who see them as body parts. Women. Can’t live with them, can’t kill them, stuff them in a 55 gallon drum, weld it shut, and dump it in the woods.

Paul-Cincy on October 2, 2012 at 6:53 PM

thatsafactjack on October 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

This.

Weird how wanting to be treated like an adult these has the caveat that somebody else pay for your needs.

Woman up women. Sheesh.

CW on October 2, 2012 at 6:53 PM

this president, who believes in women, who trusts women to make responsible decisions…..,

….this is why liberals push so hard for abortions and the gift of free birth control.

The logic is flawless.

BobMbx on October 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM

4 new people added to my never buy a movie ticket to see list. One I am going to miss quite a bit.

astonerii on October 2, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Gee where is that photo of the Obama staffer with one of his hands on one of Hillary’s ladyparts while his other hand holds a beer when you need it? That’s what I get for being on HA on my phone instead of my computer.

txmomof6 on October 2, 2012 at 7:01 PM

thatsafactjack on October 2, 2012 at 6:50 PM

The party of the dancing genitalia. As represented by the President who sat down for an interview with the Pimp with the limp.
Ick.

talkingpoints on October 2, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I love women who can pull levers with their hoo-hahs.

What?

lorien1973 on October 2, 2012 at 7:02 PM

In typical Lib Projection form, the left accuses their enemy of doing exactly what they are trying to do! It really should be insulting to women, that they are thought to be so intellectually deficient, as to buy this childish campaign! The Enemy media, of course will love this ad & run with it to deflect from the gathering storm of the Libya cover up & the Economic failures of the Obama Regime!
For those following,How to take on the Obama Enemy media: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 2, 2012 at 7:02 PM

This is why polls don’t matter. They really don’t take into account the stupid factor that can shift a few key votes when the mask drops and the stupid is left naked to the world.

CitizenEgg on October 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM

This sounds strangely like the excuse he used on the Cairo embassy press release. If I were giving Obama his review at work, I’d be very concerned about his sloppiness and lack of attention to detail.

LASue on October 2, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Hey did anybody hear what happened with that Obama yard sale thing?

AZfederalist on October 2, 2012 at 7:05 PM

The most shocking thing for me is that Jane Lynch was born in 1960. She looks a lot older than that.

earlgrey133 on October 2, 2012 at 7:05 PM

txmomof6 on October 2, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I remember that. You’re referring to THIS debacle.

LawL

FlatFoot on October 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Paul-Cincy on October 2, 2012 at 6:53 PM

How come? John Edward Robinson did that all the time!

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on October 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Oh! Big extra points for working the word ” shmeview” into a sentence!

kekelaward on October 2, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Always remind people that the Democrats are the party that cheeres for Bill Clinton, an alleged rapist and a man who used the Oval Office to publicly smear his politically inconvinient women as stalkers and psychopaths. And never let them forget the words Chappaquiddick or “Waitress-Sandwich”, no matter how long Ted Kennedy is dead.

Valkyriepundit on October 2, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Beyonce = credibility.

Bishop on October 2, 2012 at 7:08 PM

This ad is disgusting and so wrong.
The Dems ‘war on women’ assumes that all women want to abort their child or to prevent it’s conception in the first place and that’s not true.
There are families, who for one reason or another, can’t conceive a natural child, who must agonize over each Dem shout out praising abortion. These families would give anything, everything, to have a child of their own and some go to great expense and efforts to make that happen. Others find and adopt children from foreign countries, often though black-market venues.

srdem65 on October 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Women don’t need men at all…. just their tax dollars.

CW on October 2, 2012 at 7:11 PM

txmomof6 on October 2, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I remember that. You’re referring to THIS debacle.

LawL

FlatFoot on October 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM

That cut-out looks better than the real thing.

listens2glenn on October 2, 2012 at 7:12 PM

The smell is, I believe, desperation. Yes, desperation for sure.

jukin3 on October 2, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Soooo should I vote like my man parts depend on it?

WannabeAnglican on October 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM

well…Obama essentially telling them to ignore the big picture and instead focus on a single issue?

women still have that Camelot thing in their heads I think or is this that Venus/Mars thing that I heard about?

either way I have a bad feeling that it will work to get him re-elected.

teejk on October 2, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Hey did anybody hear what happened with that Obama yard sale thing?

AZfederalist on October 2, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I sent them my boxers and jock from high school.

CW on October 2, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Soooo should I vote like my man parts depend on it?

WannabeAnglican on October 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Vote like your wallet depends on it.

Rebar on October 2, 2012 at 7:18 PM

And now they’re telling us what to cook for dinner too!

2nd Ammendment Mother on October 2, 2012 at 7:19 PM

How about a real war that Barry is waging on American service members. Barry is letting them stand defenseless in dangerous arena like Afghanistan with his inept leadership and his suicidal rules of engagements. And after the service members returned from the battlefield with scars, both physically and emotionally, CNN is reporting :”Hundreds of thousands of war vets still waiting for health benefits”.(can’t link to CNN)

bayview on October 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM

You absolutely couldn’t make this up if you tried……… these democrats are incredibly stupid.

ultracon on October 2, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Bite me.

ctmom on October 2, 2012 at 7:27 PM

So is obama saying use whats between your legs not whats between your ears to decide how to vote

Aggie95 on October 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Barr, like Code Pink, has reduced women to just their sex organs.

bayview on October 2, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I love women who can pull levers with their hoo-hahs.

What?

lorien1973 on October 2, 2012 at 7:02 PM

..goes along with the famous lines I have heard/spoken in my callow youth:

“Just because I can roll the back window down with my toes, don’t think I do this for every boy I date!”

“No dice tonight, honey, my dad soldered my zipper shut!”

..those were the days, my friends, we thought they’d never end.

The War Planner on October 2, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Vote like your lady parts depend on it.

Says the Admin. that has Radical Islam running amok all over the friggin’ globe.

This one is just beyond the pale.

Tim_CA on October 2, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Yep all this liberal ideology has empowered women but has one of these “smart” celebrity women ever considered that all this equality and independence actually made women less happy? Less satisfied? Less fulfilled? They start up with an assumption that women were miserable 10, 25, 100 years ago with absolutely nothing to back up their beliefs.

lowandslow on October 2, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Like i do whenever someone brings up to me the “rights” excuse with anything (women, gays, illegals, etc), i ask:

What rights exactly are you talking about?

By the way:

…trying to convince women that a Republican administration would take us back to the puritanical days…

While I am not promoting puritanism, what is the intent with the left in tying everything around “reproduction”? Because what it means is that they are fighting “for the right to be promiscuous” if all that matters is having no one tell you how to avoid an unwanted pregnancy.

Yeah ladies: the left is the side fighting for your integrity, honor, and respect. The constant temper tantrums over having all the contraceptions you want paid for, and all the abortions on demand when you are “punished” with a baby, only make those women look like (my apologies HA ladies) sluts.

ptcamn on October 2, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Some of the money lines, from the various celebrities:
“I feel safer knowing that my president has ladyparts.”

mrt721 on October 2, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Something that I cannot, for the life of me, understand.

Celebrity “endorsements.”

I can see some interest, perhaps, when the person telling me who they’re for has some relevant background. I guess. But, they don’t. They’re just yahoos walking around just like the rest of us. I’m not deaf, dumb or blind. I walk around, too. I read, watch (some) television, read political blogs and gather news. I’m fairly well informed.

What is it about somebody we’ve heard of because they can sing, or act or dance, that makes them somehow more informed than the rest of us? More influential, outside of the worlds of song, acting and dance? It makes no rational sense at all.

And, for me (and I know some of these people), it does nothing to affect my opinion of the candidates. It does a lot to affect my opinion of the celebrity. Yes, celebrities can be clueless and gullible. I get it.

What I don’t get is why anybody gives a flying flock (of geese) what they think about politics.

IndieDogg on October 2, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I have friends who absolutely, positively have bought into The Republican War on Women.

And do you know who enabled the development of this devastating narrative?

Rick Santorum. And then Todd Aiken picked up the ball and ran with it. Right into a brick wall.

Romney is polling waaaay behind with young and/or single women. Some believe that it was Mitt himself who blathered on about “legitimate rape”–or that as the R standard bearer he embraces that kind of thinking.

As a vehemently anti-Obama independent, I sincerely want the R’s take control of the Senate, but hope they do it without Todd Aiken. Likewise I desperately hope the country has seen the last of Rick Santorum.

Guys like them are NOT helpful. The R’s are not going to convince the middle of the country to reject the far left by throwing their lot in with the far right.

Meredith on October 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM

It’s amazing rhe huge percentage of cars with Obama bumper stickers that are driven by really fugly middle age women.

bw222 on October 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Joe Biden to the biker chick: “Don’t worry baby I’ve got your lady parts covered.”

bluesdoc70 on October 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Also, just wanted to point out in regards the egregious ‘lady parts’ comment, Democrats, male or female, know nothing about what it means to be a lady.

thatsafactjack on October 2, 2012 at 8:07 PM

That’s a drawing of a WASPy 1920s flapper on that card, not of some dowdy, overweight, ethnically composite matron in a pantsuit. Very Seven Sisters, to be sure. But how many independent women voters identify with this even in their dreams?

Seth Halpern on October 2, 2012 at 8:15 PM

So. We have vaginas voting for the vagina.
Purrrrfect.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on October 2, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Aww Jeeze…why don’t y’all just calm down and make me a sammitch??

Men are speaking….

*ducks* *goes into hiding*

BigWyo on October 2, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Someone left Fox on and left the room, and I am reminded that:

- O’Reilly is a ridiculous nitwit and a pompous twit, and
- Kimberly Guilfoyle has lovely cupcakes.

War on women, indeed.

Jaibones on October 2, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Insulting, demeaning, and sexist. This is disgusting. I’d rather vote like my way of life depends on it, which it does. If Teh Won gets re-elected, goodbye America, hello Amerika.

College Prof on October 2, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Vote Republican because Moochie and Valerie Jarrett want to steal your man-parts and put them in the lockbox with little Bammie’s!

slickwillie2001 on October 2, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I hate it when politicians start talking about “lady parts.”

Akzed on October 3, 2012 at 5:25 AM

I guess I don’t watch enough television. I don’t know who ANY of those are/were. The only thing I recognize is that they all appear to be connected by their “lady parts” and their “stupidity genes”.

oldleprechaun on October 3, 2012 at 7:53 AM

I’m a woman and if there’s a war on these women, count me as a warrior. Insulting, degrading and a-moral. They want to be be able to kill their children at will and expect me to pay for it. They are helpless, brainless and lazy.

Save Real Women. Vote Republican.

Portia46 on October 3, 2012 at 10:15 AM