Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on October 2, 2012 by Allahpundit

Call it the built-in gravitas gap: President Obama flies the country in a grand 747, cruises in plush limousines adorned with American flags, and speaks from the White House Rose Garden, while his campaign opponent, Mitt Romney, flies in a smaller MD-83 passenger jet, rides in nondescript SUVs and makes speeches at factories and strip malls.

But on Wednesday that gap is closed, even if just for 90 minutes, when voters see the two men stand on the same stage together and go head-to-head in the first presidential debate of the campaign.

“Debates are an equalizer for challengers because there are no office trappings on stage,” said Darrell M. West, director of Governance Studies at the Brookings Institution. “It is two people answering questions, and voters can reach their own impressions without outside filtering.”…

“It is the only chance to go toe to toe with the incumbent and look just as presidential as he can,” Mr. Sabato said.

***

Romney’s advisers have a simple strategy: They want their candidate to balance his finely tuned arguments with personal warmth. Since Romney is a reserved man, his advisers acknowledge that it will be difficult for him to endear himself to the country, especially under the hot studio lights. But they consider it critical. “This is really about introducing him to the country,” a Romney adviser says. “It’s the largest audience he has ever had. Everybody’s watching.”

During prep sessions in Vermont this past month, Romney has worked tirelessly on the stylistic aspect of his presentation, and Romney’s advisers predict that the former Massachusetts governor will come across as both presidential and empathetic. Rather than fire off brusque retorts, as he often did during primary debates, Romney will take care “to speak in paragraphs about the economy,” a second aide says…

But it won’t all be warm and fuzzy. That’s where the balance comes in, advisers say. When he has the opportunity to give a full response, look for him to speak directly to the camera, making his case. When the president knocks him, however, Romney won’t try to stay above the fray, and he’ll try to make sure that his answers are more than clinical prescriptions. Romney will never be as gregarious as Bill Clinton or a great communicator like Ronald Reagan, but his advisers think he can score if he is comfortable and assertive.

“You’ll see a little combativeness,” says former New Hampshire governor John Sununu, a longtime Romney friend. “Remember, though, that there will be more to this debate than telling the president to stick a bumper sticker on his forehead. This is about getting the people who are watching to look at their televisions and say, ‘My gosh, that’s the guy this country needs to be president.’”

***

In the desperate battle to shape public expectations over Wednesday’s presidential debate in Denver, Gov. Mitt Romney appears to be winning-by-losing.

Most prospective voters expect him to lose the face-to-face debate, so he has a greater opportunity to surprise and reassure voters who might switch support from President Barack Obama to the GOP candidate.

“The best news for Romney going into the debates is that voters have very low expectations for him and therefore the bar for him to change some minds is set lower than it is for the president,” said a survey released Oct. 2 by Quinnipiac University.

***

There would be two GOP debates in Florida, one in Tampa and one in Jacksonville. Coming off defeat in South Carolina, Romney had to raise his game.

He did. Particularly in the Jacksonville debate, Romney seemed like a new man. He deftly and confidently ripped Gingrich over accusations that Romney had investments in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and then ran circles around Gingrich on immigration. With nearly everything at stake, and big audiences watching in the biggest primary state, Romney shone…

Romney’s biggest challenge, as Gingrich sees it, is to deal with what Gingrich believes will be Obama’s repeated misrepresentations of Romney’s record and position. Back in January, Gingrich believed Romney misrepresented Gingrich’s own record, something he still believes today. “Now, Romney has to figure out with Obama what I failed to figure out with Romney,” Gingrich says. “How do you convince the audience that the plausible thing just said by your opponent is factually false?”…

The most important thing Romney could do for himself is to remember that feeling from the night he lost South Carolina, when he realized that everything was riding on his next performance. This time, it is.

***

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Tomorrow!!!

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:43 PM

One day away!!!!

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Don’t be late!!!

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Hello???

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Nevermind…

Vote often!!!

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:44 PM

The first 3 sentences from Jjjjjuan Williams’ mouth tomorrow night will tell us everything we need to know.

SouthernGent on October 2, 2012 at 10:44 PM

When you can….

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:44 PM

SouthernGent on October 2, 2012 at 10:44 PM/blockquote>

Dang straight…

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Hello
EG.

KCB on October 2, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Great! He swiped my speech!

VorDaj on October 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM

“Mitts write dad…”

Obama speaks to Reverend Write…

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Think I’ll employ my primary debate strategy. If I don’t watch – our guy does good. If I watch – disaster.

Come on Mitt!

gophergirl on October 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Obama has been given all the questions for the debate tomorrow…

mnjg on October 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM

GuaranteedModerator will ask about “VOTER ID” law
as a “GOTCHA” attempt on Romney.

What???? You support VOTER ID law?? RACIST!!!

Varchild on October 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I’m not even going to try and comment here, it will be like the old days of chatrooms with endless scrolling of comments.

Nope, it’s some Black Ops with the little boys and a big bowl of popcorn.

Bishop on October 2, 2012 at 10:48 PM

KCB on October 2, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Hello….

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Go, Mitt, go!

John the Libertarian on October 2, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Are these debates really going to be a game changer? Seems to me, people should already know if they want 4 more years of the same, or not. Since the NOT choice is Romney, this is really a yea or nea on Obama, right?

Seems to me, the debates can only make the nea Obama voters (don’t want 4 more years of this), feel better about voting for Romney.

Romney could barf all over the podium during these debates and I will still vote for him as my NEA vote against Obama.

karenhasfreedom on October 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Barack Obama in the highest office in the land, parley-voo?
Barack Obama in the highest office in the land, parley-voo?
He can sink the economy and campaign and vacation a great deal
But taking any responsibly to him just does not appeal
He has less class than the back of a hack
When he morns for anyone but himself the tears run down his back
If he would just take responsibility sometime somewhere
The MSM frogs would probably give him the Croix-de-Guerre
Hinky, dinky, parley-voo

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on October 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM

What about under the podium ?
Behind the lectern ?
Obama will really NOT have any “trapping” of his office on stage ?
Not even Mathews ? Duuuuuuude :D

burrata on October 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I thought Obama won already. NPR told me so.

Archivarix on October 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:48 PM

You were all alone..

KCB on October 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I can’t sleep tonite…

Too excited about tomorrow…

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM

You were all alone..

KCB on October 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Welcome friend..

This post is going to be good….:)

Uban will show up..

Then Lib4Life….

Fun times…

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:51 PM

One day away!!!!

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:43 PM

*clink*

Tim_CA on October 2, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Oh what a disgrace if such a despicable and base man, who hates America and it’s constitution and all Christians, and worships himself, should be allowed to assault a people which has the faith of omnipotent God! With what reproaches will the Lord overwhelm us if we do not promptly and fully aid those who’s conscience is being brutalized and murdered because they profess the Christian religion! Let those who have been accustomed unjustly to wage private warfare against other of the faithful now all unite and go against the tyrant in a Holy Crusade and end with total victory in November!

Let those who have been in service of this tyrant against their own brothers and sisters now fight in a proper way against this tyrant. Let those who have been wearing themselves out in both body and soul in vain attempt to appease him now labor for glorious honor against him. Behold! On the one side will be the completely destroyed tyrant, on the other the fierce and righteous protectors of the Constitution and Christianity. On the one side will be the destroyed enemy of the Lord and the Constitution, on the other, their friends who will shout at the tyrant as they destroy him in November, “It is for the Founding Fathers!”, “It is for the Founding Fathers!, and “Deus vult! Deus vult! Deus vult!”

RasThavas on October 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I’m not even going to try and comment here.

With you Bishop… just gonna lurk…

Might upset someone with my commentary…/

Scrumpy on October 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM

When one is excited about a debate, is one a dork? I’m asking for a friend…

KCB on October 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I can’t sleep tonite…

Too excited about tomorrow…

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Watch the Hannity rerun. Trust me, you’ll be sleeping like a baby after 10 minutes.

JPeterman on October 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM

This post is going to be good….:)

This THREAD is goin’ to be good..

Just for for the record…

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Come on Mitt!

gophergirl on October 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM

So, why do you still watch the Vikes’ games? ;-)

TXUS on October 2, 2012 at 10:53 PM

JPeterman on October 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Dang…

I was afraid of that…

Not having cable or satellite..

I read..

I am not impressed with Shawn….with this story..

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM

So, why do you still watch the Vikes’ games? ;-)

TXUS on October 2, 2012 at 10:53 PM

My powers only work on debates. Sporting events – I got nothin’

gophergirl on October 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Barack Obama
Merchant of Hopelessness

VorDaj on October 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Someone say hey to Scrumpy for me.

Lanceman on October 2, 2012 at 10:55 PM

*clink*

Tim_CA on October 2, 2012 at 10:51 PM

*clink*

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I’ll know too soon

jaime on October 2, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Obama’s Hype and Chains
The Audacity of Mendacity

VorDaj on October 2, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Come on Mitt!

gophergirl on October 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Watch it on a five-minute-delay and relax!

lol.

Tim_CA on October 2, 2012 at 10:56 PM

SouthernGent on October 2, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Juan will tell us “Mitt looked like the husband of a corporate wife.”

Right Mover on October 2, 2012 at 10:56 PM

So, what will be the D+ sample after Barry’s debate performance and the flurry of articles heralding him as *the great debater* of all time?

Punchenko on October 2, 2012 at 10:56 PM

There are no opponents to Obama in America except a bunch of vastly outnumbered racists. Obama can not lose the election! Never! No, fellow Democrats I am not scared of losing and neither should you be!

Search for the truth. I tell you things and I always ask you to verify what I say. I told you yesterday that there are no dissatisfied people in America. You can go and visit any state at all. No dissatisfied person there. No one at all. There are only supporters of Barack Obama except for a few crazy constitution clingers. Everything is okay.

By Obama, I think Obama will win in a 57 state landslide. Any talk of his defeat is merely an insane prattle. The fact is that as soon as Obama’s opponents reach the voting booths, we will besiege them and slaughter them. Wherever Obama’s opponents go in the New Socialist Worker’s America they will find themselves encircled by billions of Obama supporters. The Tea Partiers will be burnt. We are going to tackle them. We are going to hit them with shoes! Obama’s opponents are already committing suicide by the thousands as they realize that Obama can not lose.

Cheshire Cat on October 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM

JPeterman on October 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Talk about a big ol’ hairy nothingburger.

John the Libertarian on October 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Punchenko on October 2, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I think he should deploy his pandering black southern accent…..just to shake things up.

Tim_CA on October 2, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Punchenko on October 2, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Considering he keeps blowing off debate prep – I have a feeling the sample will need to be +50 if Mitt has a good night.

gophergirl on October 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Here’s my story, it’s sad but true

jaime on October 2, 2012 at 10:58 PM

That’s my story too…

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Cheshire Cat on October 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM

You call that poetry?

Lanceman on October 2, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Talk about a big ol’ hairy nothingburger.

John the Libertarian on October 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM

roger that.

Tim_CA on October 2, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Fer cripes sakes, Mitt, I don’t want you to be my friend.

I want you to save my IRA (not confiscate it, likethe Other Guy) and give my kid a chance at a good job in 4 years.

Simple, huh?

Bruno Strozek on October 2, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Here’s my story, it’s sad but true

jaime on October 2, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Oh wow. I was thinking of that song earlier when I saw LASue.

Lanceman on October 2, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Talk about a big ol’ hairy nothingburger.

John the Libertarian on October 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t, I couldn’t tell with all of the back slapping going on between Hannity and Carlson.

JPeterman on October 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM

My powers only work on debates. Sporting events – I got nothin’

gophergirl on October 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Okay, you are granted special dispensation, so do NOT watch the debate tomorrow night. Sit back, with a glass of wine or five, and play some soft, sweet songs, and get the Karma working. Never mess with Karma, what I say.

TXUS on October 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Oh wow. I was thinking of that song earlier when I saw LASue.

Lanceman on October 2, 2012 at 11:00 PM

No way!

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Ann Romney is gonna be an excellent first lady :-)

terryannonline on October 2, 2012 at 11:02 PM

That’s my story too…

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM

That’s all of us at one time or another.

jaime on October 2, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Wow. Kind of dismissive, isn’t it, to say that Romney is so limited?

malclave on October 2, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Oh wow. I was thinking of that song earlier when I saw LASue.

Lanceman on October 2, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Who’s LASue? And why did she run around?

jaime on October 2, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Ann Romney is gonna be an excellent first lady :-)

terryannonline on October 2, 2012 at 11:02 PM

She has always loved this country…

Unlike…someone else we know….

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 11:04 PM

That’s all of us at one time or another.

jaime on October 2, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Can’t argue with that…..

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 11:04 PM

She has always loved this country…

Unlike…someone else we know….

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Shut up and eat your broccoli

Tim_CA on October 2, 2012 at 11:05 PM

A restless wind that yearns to wander

jaime on October 2, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Shut up and eat your broccoli

Tim_CA on October 2, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Again???

The rest of the camp is complaining….

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 11:07 PM

JPeterman on October 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM

You do not think that Obama saying that Whites are racists has no political implications on the elections?… WOW…

mnjg on October 2, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Ann Romney is gonna be an excellent first lady :-)

terryannonline on October 2, 2012 at 11:02 PM

To paraphrase Moochelle, for the first time in the last 4 years of my adult life, I’ll be proud of our First Lady.

Doughboy on October 2, 2012 at 11:09 PM

JPeterman on October 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM

You do not think that Obama saying that Whites are racists has political implications on the elections?… WOW…

mnjg on October 2, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I think it would be fun if the moderator asked them to answer the questions in different accents.

“Gov. Romney, the next question is for you, and please respond in your best Norwegian accent.”

“Mr. President, if you could tell us — using a French accent — what your plan is to create jobs.”

Rational Thought on October 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM

mnjg on October 2, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Your talking about an electorate that’s completely aware of his “typical white grandmother” comment.

Let’s also not forget what caused the “Beer Summit”.

I really don’t think this surprises anyone.

Tim_CA on October 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Every song this night is dedicated to Obama

Scrumpy on October 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Talk about a big ol’ hairy nothingburger.

John the Libertarian on October 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Haven’t seen it yet, but short of a clip showing Obama biting off the heads of little orphan children, the media and the assembled jackassery of libtrolls here will treat anything harmful to Obama like it’s a big ‘ol hairy nothingburger.

squint on October 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Talk about a big ol’ hairy nothingburger.

John the Libertarian on October 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Yeah Obama saying that Whites are racists is nothingburger… nothing to see here folks, this has no implication on the presidential race in 2012… Just some simple math for you John… If only 10% of Obama “White Voters” from 2008 switch and vote for Romney in 2012 then Obama is certain to lose the elections… Now you do not think that Obama calling Whites racists is going to cause him to lose more than 10% of his 2008 White Voters to Romney?…

mnjg on October 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Go Mitt Go!!!

Speakup on October 2, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Doughboy on October 2, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Lady of Spain we abhor you
Lavishly vacationing where you think they adore you
We’re here earning it for you
That’s all you think us peasants are good to do

Lady of Spain it’s so revealing
You think before you we should all be bowing and kneeling
Spending our taxes to you is so appealing
Over there where you think they love you

Enjoy it while you can
You and your sorry excuse for a man
As someday you’ll both get your due
When the American Lady of Justice catches up to your King Louie husband and you

VorDaj on October 2, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Scrumpy on October 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Scrumpers! You came BACK!

Lanceman on October 2, 2012 at 11:14 PM

At a loss for words

jaime on October 2, 2012 at 11:14 PM

mnjg on October 2, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Did he say that? I couldn’t tell with all the yammering that Hannity and Carlson were doing.

JPeterman on October 2, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Dudes…

And ladies…

Tomorrow..

Signing off…..

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Let’s also not forget what caused the “Beer Summit”.

I really don’t think this surprises anyone.

Tim_CA on October 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM

No I am talking about an electorate that is not aware that Obama said in a speech that Whites are Racists and that they treated cared less about blacks in New Orleans after Katrina because the Whites are racists… The “typcial white grandmother” or the “police acted stupidly” are nothing compared to this one…

mnjg on October 2, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Just playin’ tunes Lanceman… enjoy…

Scrumpy on October 2, 2012 at 11:16 PM

mnjg on October 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I hope it works. But NO ONE is listening. I thought Hannity breaking the Rev. Wright and Bill Ayers stuff was far more inflammatory, but no one listened and no one cared. Obama himself admits to being racist in his autobiographies, he hates his white half.

John the Libertarian on October 2, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I hope Romney pulls this off and I hope that Obama says something stupid. Or wrong.Or bad.

Terrye on October 2, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Electrongod on October 2, 2012 at 11:15 PM

¡Adiós Amigo!

jaime on October 2, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Cheshire Cat on October 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM

You call that poetry?

Lanceman on October 2, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I call that great M.M.S. impersonation – thanks for the smile Cheshire Cat

wubu on October 2, 2012 at 11:18 PM

mnjg on October 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM

No one cared about the Rev.Wright stuff and we’ve all been called racists for so long now, that word has lost it’s importance.

JPeterman on October 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I taped a piece of paper to my screen so I don’t have to look at Hillary’s face but that biotch won’t stay still. She keeps moving around.

SparkPlug on October 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM

The GOPe will betray you!!..:)

Dire Straits on October 2, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Talk about a big ol’ hairy nothingburger.

John the Libertarian on October 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I am not so sure about that. I think Obama is a lot more vulnerable today than he was 4 years ago..and while some of this might sound mild to us now..it could very well come across as insulting and annoying to people who used to turn a blind eye to Obama’s posturing.

We shall see.

Terrye on October 2, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I think Romney has already bridged this gap by virtue of Obama’s conduct in Benghazi and Fast & Furious, as reported recently.

BuckeyeSam on October 2, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Hi Scrumpy. Sorry I’m late. Normally I say “Hi” first and then Lanceman asks me to say “Hey” to you.

But tonight we got it bass ackwards.

SparkPlug on October 2, 2012 at 11:21 PM

mnjg on October 2, 2012 at 11:15 PM

You’re preaching to the choir. While you and I find his racialist pandering disgusting, it’s certainly not new.

He’s already explained away the good reverend….and the electorate bought it.

I’m just not seeing anything “new”.

Certainly not “explosive”.

Tim_CA on October 2, 2012 at 11:21 PM

The rain is Tess, the fire’s Joe

jaime on October 2, 2012 at 11:21 PM

SparkPlug on October 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM

She’s winking at you, Spark. I think she wants a little something from ya.

John the Libertarian on October 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM

But tonight we got it bass ackwards.

SparkPlug on October 2, 2012 at 11:21 PM

She’s pissed at me tonight.

Lanceman on October 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM

My GOPe detection system has detected an inbound message from DIRe and its about to land.

Opps my bad it already landed up thread. Cripes you people need to give ole sparky a chance to catch up.

SparkPlug on October 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM

JPeterman on October 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM

The difference is this not Reverand Wright… It is Obama himself saying it…. huge difference…

mnjg on October 2, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Good evening Sparky :-)

Just playing tunes dedicated to Obama, it’s how I feel!!

Scrumpy on October 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM

JPeterman on October 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM

To a great extent I think that is true…however, there are people out there who vote for someone for purely emotional reasons..they actually vote for the guy they like. Obama was not likeable in that video. He was a con artist, charlatan. It adds up…put that together with his smirk…his condescending attitude…$4 gas..no job and a light bill you can not pay and all of sudden Mr.Wonderful is not so damn wonderful anymore.

Terrye on October 2, 2012 at 11:24 PM