Open thread: The second Massachusetts Senate debate

posted at 6:43 pm on October 1, 2012 by Allahpundit

7 p.m. ET airing live on C-SPAN and WHDH.com. You already know why this is important so I won’t belabor it, but here’s the poll trend just to drive the point home. The question tonight: On what ground will this battle be fought? Another round over Warren’s phony Native American status, no doubt replete this time with indignant how-dare-you reproaches from the challenger? Or will Brown cite Legal Insurrection’s work and attack Warren on her habit of apparently practicing law in Massachusetts without admission to the bar? Over at Breitbart, Michael Patrick Leahy is optimistic. It would certainly fit with Brown’s strategy of attacking Warren first and foremost on her character: In a state as blue as Massachusetts, the “liberal loon” lament has less purchase than it does nearly anywhere else.

The future of ObamaCare repeal requires a strong performance by Brown. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

cozmo on October 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Teamwork! We all need to do our part during this election season!

Hold the House! Seize the Senate! NObama 2012!

wren on October 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM

At the end of the debate, outside the venue the NECN reporter interviews three people who were inside watching the debate, one lady a dem, one a young man supporting Brown, and an independent.

The reporter asks the dem lady about the charge of using her indian heritage, who says, “Her mother told her she was an indian” so you see, Mrs. Warren’s Parrots all got the message. Polly wants a cracker, Pretty birdie.

Fleuries on October 1, 2012 at 8:38 PM

David Gregory is an A$$. Why do all these Republican candidates get into these forums run by idiots on the left?

dirtseller on October 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Teamwork!

wren on October 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I don’t know who has the harder job here; going up against ignorant ABR nutballs, or listening to Bob Kerry drone (he and Linda Ronstadt really should have remained together).

Who is moderating the Nebraska debate?

cozmo on October 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I didn’t know this was a two on one affair. Gregory was making Warren’s case for her…or at least smoothing the road for her hyper-partisan nuttiness!

allstonian on October 1, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Kerry is for Global Warming & Obamacare! That should be enough to vote against him.

Deb Fischer has the most common sense answers on Taxes, Health Care, Global Warming. She holds her own in each rebuttal against Kerry. She spells out her plans and states her reasons against Kerry.
She also weighed in on Syria, saying we need to understand who the rebels (my term) are and there is word they may be Al Queda. She also had a few criticisms against the current Administration.

Smart lady!!

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Who is moderating the Nebraska debate?

cozmo on October 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM

The Moderator of the Nebraska Debate is Dennis Kellogg of NET News. I have never heard of him. I assume he is a local Nebraska newsperson. He is doing a competent job as Moderator.

There is also a 3 person panel of Nebraska newspeople that is asking questions.

They are doing closing statements in Nebraska debate now.

wren on October 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Stoic Patriot on October 1, 2012 at 8:15 PM

No doubt, I grew up in Northboro back when it was mostly still blue collar. And my old man lives in the Berkshires – you’re right on. A little further north than Grafton, you have a few small towns that are pretty right leaning too like Lancaster. Don’t get me started on Cambridge.

emz35 on October 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Ted Cruz & Paul Sadler will debate Tuesday night, hosted by WFAA in Dallas.

Dewhurst himself even attended a Cruz fundraiser in Houston last week, and Perry, the lieutenant governor’s highest-profile backer during the primary campaign, plans to appear at a Cruz event Thursday in Austin.

Tuesday night at 7 p.m. The Belo Debate is being televised live on WFAA in Dallas-Fort Worth and on KVUE in Austin, with WFAA.com streaming the debate live online, statewide.

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM

But this one isn’t really a contest. The only interesting thing is when Sadler used Cruz’s own Dewhurst argument against him whining for more debates.

cozmo on October 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM

For those who missed either the Massachusetts or Nebraska Senate debates, http://www.CSPAN.org just announced they would be replaying them tonight at:

Massachusetts Brown v. Warren debate at 10:05 pm eastern time

Nebraska Fischer v. Kerry debate at 11:00 pm eastern time

wren on October 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM

There is also a 3 person panel of Nebraska newspeople that is asking questions.

They are doing closing statements in Nebraska debate now.

wren on October 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I thot the Moderators were very fair and asked a good variety of questions. The tone of the entire debate was great!!

Cspan has Ross Perot on now and then they will repeat the Brown/Warren debate, followed by the Deb Fischer/Kerry debate repeated also.

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 9:05 PM

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM

cozmo on October 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Perhaps not, but Sadler is his opponent. Ted Cruz is much more qualified than others. He would make a great Justice of the Supreme Court and I think he will be one day.

It suprised me to read that Dewhurst & Perry were fundraising for Cruz:-)

P.S. I figured out what you meant about Kerry from Nebraska, but not “of” it, LOL

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I now understand why Sarah Palin endorsed Deb Fischer (R) in Nebraska’s Senate race.

There were no fireworks in the Nebraska Senate debate. Both candidates maintained an even cordial tone through out the debate.

I thought Deb Fischer won since she seemed to be slightly more assertive than Bob Kerrey.

Deb Fischer was well informed, confident and firm in this debate.

Fischer’s positions show she is a solid conservative:
– Simplify tax code
– Signed Grover Norquist’s no tax increase pledge as a promise to the people of Nebraska
– Repeal Death Tax

wren on October 1, 2012 at 9:16 PM

It suprised me to read that Dewhurst & Perry were fundraising for Cruz:-)

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Texans see the big picture pretty well.

I’m from Nebraska, and I still have some Nebraska in me. Kerry doesn’t.

cozmo on October 1, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Oops, I hit the tab key which submitted my previous comment before I was finished.

Deb Fischer’s other positions include:
– Lower the corporate tax rate to compete more succesfully in the global economy
– Cut government spending
– Market based health care reform
– An all of the above energy plan which includes using our oil resources

You can learn more about Deb Fischer at her campaign website:

Deb Fischer impresed me tonight. She would represent Nebraska well as a Senator!

wren on October 1, 2012 at 9:24 PM

MassVictim, I’m coming from a central Mass perspective and just not seeing the support for Warren or Obama that I would normally expect.
What do you see in your neck of the wood?

OTTO on October 1, 2012 at 8:04 PM

OTTO,
Let me point out to the rest of the country what Massachusetts is like. It’s a totally Democratic state, but there are two kinds of Dems: 1) The hacks (government employees, unions, welfare recipients, etc.); and 2) The Beautiful People (limousine liberals, bleeding hearts, guilty white people, college students). To see the clear division of these people by geography, you can view the map of results of the 2008 Dem primary here, in which Hillary won all the hack-dominated towns, and Obama won all the BP-dominated towns.

In 2010, Brown beat Coakley by taking enough of the hack towns.

So that’s the balance. To address Otto’s original question, there is a similar feel to this race. The only difference is, that Coakley is a better politician, and has actually successfully been elected to statewide office. People view Warren as just Coakley II, a poor imitation of the original, who was soundly defeated by Brown.

MassVictim on October 1, 2012 at 9:27 PM

O/T: Romney campaign stop in Colorado live on CSPAN-2

Night Owl on October 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Texans see the big picture pretty well.

I’m from Nebraska, and I still have some Nebraska in me. Kerry doesn’t.

cozmo on October 1, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Texas is a great Country:-) It appeared in the debate that Kerry referred to the past more than the present. I think Fischer will win.

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 9:45 PM

O/T: Romney campaign stop in Colorado live on CSPAN-2

Night Owl on October 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Thanks. Just switched it on!

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 9:47 PM

wren on October 1, 2012 at 9:24 PM

She impressed me as well. She was well informed and stated her positions clearly. Also she is very in touch with the Voters of Nebraskans, unlike Kerry.

Go Deb!!!!

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 9:58 PM

My mom always told me I was a princess. That surely means I’m from the House of Windsor and I’m probably 10th in line for the throne or something!

Oink on October 1, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Just caught a few minutes of Romney in Colorado, but it looked like a very upbeat crowd!!

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Oink on October 1, 2012 at 10:00 PM

LOL, good one!

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 10:03 PM

dirtseller on October 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Because they’re another kind of idiot.

rrpjr on October 1, 2012 at 10:03 PM

dirtseller on October 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I asked the same question during the Brown/Warren debate. You would think they would negotiate better. Same thing happened during the Primaries for the most part. It’s really stupid on their part in my opinion.

The Brown/Warren “debate” using Gregory is a perfect example of allowing the leftists to moderate. There is no moderation. 2 against 1 isn’t moderate, or is that the definition of a Moderate?
LOL

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 10:23 PM

because no one ever runs against her. no one.

mittens on October 1, 2012 at 10:40 PM

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Upbeat is good…

JohnGalt23 on October 1, 2012 at 11:01 PM

You really have to wonder how Republicans allow themselves to be in debates with anyone from NBC. Of all the networks, NBC is by far the worst and Gregory has yet to show me he’s not much more than a partisan hack.

That being said, I watched as much as I could of this debate, about half, and Brown did just fine. The only think I would bring out, if I were Brown, was that there was a real minority that was second in line behing Warren, who got shafted because Harvard hired her as a minority.

bflat879 on October 1, 2012 at 11:29 PM

It’s disappointing that Scott Brown couldn’t trounce Fauxcahontas. David Gregory didn’t help. Scott would do a lot better if he stopped avoiding conservatism and stood for more than ‘bipartisanship’ and ‘independence’. Still, I’ve a Brown sign up on the road and on my car (here in Ed Malarkey moonbat country), and am keeping my fingers crossed that Scott can pull it off. Fauxcahontas is a lot more articulate than Coakley was, and Scott doesn’t have the 2010 Tea-Party wave behind him, so I’m not optimistic. But there may be a strong, silent, anti-Obambi vote here that will surprise everyone. Or maybe I’m just dreaming. . .

MrLynn on October 2, 2012 at 12:24 AM

32 other Senate Races going on, why is this one so special? Is Allahpundit going to have a open debate thread for the other 30+ debates? Is CBS’s David Gregory going to moderate the other 30+ debates?

Talk about your self important east coast mentality.

lowandslow on October 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM

He doesn’t need to show the Cruz/Stadler debate-because Stadler has no shot.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 2, 2012 at 1:39 AM

MrLynn on October 2, 2012 at 12:24 AM

He can’t. In order to win/maintain the seat, he has to be RINO-ish. C’mon, it’s Taxachusetts.

98ZJUSMC on October 2, 2012 at 2:46 AM

I sincerely hope that Scott Brown loses to Warren. RINOs are a cancer to the Republican Party. He, and his pals from Maine, gave us the repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell. I take somebody like Joe Manchin over Brown any time. In addition, this weekend I learned that Paul Ryan is being coached for his debate by Theodore Olson, of “anti Prop 8″ fame. So, it makes me question whether I will be voting for Romney/Ryan after all. Not that it matters in my state of California, but I am sick of voting for RINOs. In fact, after the DADT RINO debacle, I decided to switch my party registration from Republican to Independent (“decline to state” as we are called in California). It sucks all around the place.

p_incorrect on October 2, 2012 at 3:34 AM

p_incorrect on October 2, 2012 at 3:34 AM

If you think you are sick of voting for “RINO’s,” just imagine how sick you would be after 4 more years of President Obama’s socialist policies.

If you have any questions about living in a Socialist country, talk to a couple of the millions of immigrants who have fled Socialist countries, so you have a better appreciation of what we are fighting for in this election.

This is not an optional election! If Americans make a tragic decision to re-elect President Obama, our country really may not be able to ever recover the freedom we have already lost, let alone the additional damage Obama will do in a second term when he has already said he would have “more flexibility.”

Californian votes may or may not make a difference in the electoral vote. But Californian votes absolutely make a difference in the popular vote. And we should all be working hard to avoid the possibility of having different candidates win the electoral v. popular votes.

None of us are ever so lucky to be able to vote for candidates who agree with us 100% of the time.

So take a serious look at the options that are available in this election, and get out there to vote for the candidates who will do the best job of governing your country for the next 4 years.

If you want a different set of candidates in future elections then you will have to work harder to support your favorite candidates during future Primary seasons.

Let’s roll!

wren on October 2, 2012 at 4:02 AM

I came from a socialist country, whose citizenship I explicitly renounced after becoming American, so I don’t need to be lectured about that. This thing about voting for the lesser of two evils will not work with me. 4 more years of Obama will be a disaster to be sure but that’s probably what we conservatives, and America, need to wake up. No matter how you look at it, the fact that the Romney campaign is using Theodore Olson to coach Paul Ryan is a complete travesty. My vote doesn’t matter anyway but it makes me sick to my stomach that the Romney campaign is using the services of a man who has spent the most part of the last two years trying to nullify the will of California voters on traditional marriage. I learned about that over the weekend on Fox News Sunday. My vote will not go to neither Obama/Biden nor Romney/Ryan.

p_incorrect on October 2, 2012 at 4:11 AM

My vote doesn’t matter anyway …

Respectfully, you are no conservative. No conservative would be so blasé about the right to vote– defended by the blood of millions, over the past 200-plus years.

socalcon on October 2, 2012 at 4:42 AM

Great, now we have self-appointed guardians of the conservative cause :D. The right to vote is a right, not an obligation. And it’s certainly not an obligation to vote for RINOs. I will be filling out the initiatives ballot, which is the only place where my vote will really count. But let me be clear about one thing: even if I was living in Ohio, I would not be voting for Romney/Ryan. Romney has never been a conservative. The theatrics he showed during the primary were just that. The base was not easily fooled, and tried non Romneys for a while until they finally caved in to the wishes of the Republican Party elite. Guess what, now we have him showing his true colors. And he hasn’t won the election yet! Maybe the best that could happen to the conservative cause is another 4 years of Obama so people really wake up and bury RINOs for once and for all.

p_incorrect on October 2, 2012 at 5:03 AM

p_incorrect on October 2, 2012 at 3:34 AM

This is the attitude thatwil lead to loss. If they’re not perfect it is better to have a catastrophe with a (D) after its name. Of course this is infantile sulking in “conservatives”, but it is also a demoralizing lib ploy to encourage GOP voters to “each the party lesson”. It got us Obamacare and just generally Obama. It got us this dependency chic which might prove harder for the nation to kick thann heroin. p.correct smells of obamunism

clnurnberg on October 2, 2012 at 5:29 AM

p_incorrect on October 2, 2012 at 3:34 AM

I used to agree with this but no longer. Brown, Snow, and Collins are what I call “gateway conservatives”- they give historically Democrat-identified New Englanders a socially acceptable GOP voting choice, which is pretty damn important if you’re from here. They take the “scary” out of the GOP if you will… The Democrat/liberal prejudice against all things GOP or conservative is drilled into us through the schools at a very young age. You can stand back and be disgusted or you can be impressed that Scott Brown has successfully walked a political tightrope like none other in the country. The fact is, once these new Brown voters start paying attention to how biased the Boston Globe coverage (and national media coverage) is against Brown, they start to see the political landscape for what it really is. That is no small feat and while I’ve made my share of Brown jokes in the past,

mxt on October 2, 2012 at 6:58 AM

p_incorrect on October 2, 2012 at 4:11 AM

Obviously you didn’t learn a damn thing in your citizenship classes. If it’s so bad, renounce your American citizenship and go somewhere else.

Mitoch55 on October 2, 2012 at 7:39 AM

p_incorrect on October 2, 2012 at 5:03 AM

Wrong again. It is a citizen’s responsibility to vote. Moreover, it is that citizen’s obligation to make an informed choice. Yeah, you may dislike RINOs. Most of us do. But if you can’t see the bigger picture of voting for a RINO senatorial candidate to help gain control of the currently do-nothing Senate, then you’re beyond help. Go back to school.

Mitoch55 on October 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM

My vote will not go to neither Obama/Biden nor Romney/Ryan.

p_incorrect on October 2, 2012 at 4:11 AM

I wish you would reconsider. We have a lot of unemployed people hurting really bad. I think Romney/Ryan would do wonders for our economy. Just consider it. We need to begin with small steps pulling our country back to the right of center. Oh, and congratulations on becoming an American citizen.

magicbeans on October 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Oh, and congratulations on becoming an American citizen.

magicbeans on October 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Thanks! Unlike many who have resorted to cheap attacks here, I chose to be an American. I worked very hard, through entirely legal means, for my right to call the US my country. I don’t need lectures about this or that. I will not vote for Romney/Ryan, that’s the en of the story.

Those who are defending the lesser of two evils approach should think about how that worked out with traitors like John Roberts, the court that produced that travesty known as “Roe v Wade”, or closeted liberals such as Anthony Kennedy and David Souter. No sir, RINOs are not a blessing. They are like a cancer. I never felt very strongly about Romney to begin with. Not because I don’t think he lacks qualifications -although given the incompetence with which he is running his campaign I am beginning to question even that- but because he has absolutely no core principles. I saw the addition to Ryan to the ticket as a positive sign but here are the facts: instead of witnessing the “conservatization” of Romney we are witnessing the RINO-ization of Ryan. Picking Ted Olson as his debate coach was the last straw.

Looking at the history of conservatism in the US, it didn’t advance through the Nixons, Fords or Bushes of the world but through principled conservatives like Ronald Reagan. Those who are defending the Romney/Ryan ticket blindly should ask themselves why is that the Republican Party is ashamed of its two living former Presidents so much so that they don’t want them to show up at any campaign event. That’s what RINOs give us.

p_incorrect on October 2, 2012 at 12:24 PM

p_incorrect on October 2, 2012 at …

Concern troll is concerned.

DrSteve on October 2, 2012 at 12:43 PM