Obama: Romney is a “good debater, I’m just okay”

posted at 5:21 pm on October 1, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

President Obama’s team is still at it, preemptively spinning what we’re supposed to assume will be a relatively abysmal showing for the president in the first debate on ‘domestic’ issues this Wednesday evening and eagerly providing us with all of the non-substantive reasons that he’ll have such a tough time competing in that forum. I suppose it probably can’t be all it’s cracked up to be, being so gosh dang eloquent and intellectual — especially when pitted against an opponent the same camp is always saying is just so impossibly down-to-earth, in-touch, and relatable. Wait… come again? Via the Washington Examiner:

President Obama’s campaign spokeswoman said she’s concerned Obama will sound too “professorial” to resonate with the low-information voters tuning into the presidential campaign for the first time during this week’s debate.

“[W]hat the American [people] are looking for is not just a professorial list of facts or accomplishments or even goals,” Obama campaign spokeswoman Jen Psaki said yesterday as part of her ongoing, almost-comical attempt to lower expectations going into the debates. She then lamented that Obama “has a tendency to give longer, substantive answers.” …

Maybe it has to do with their target audience. “He wants to speak directly to the families — the people who are on their couches at home, having snacks, drinking a beer, drinking soda, whatever it is, and tuning in for the first time — and that’s who he’s speaking directly to,” she said.

Deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter also chimed in again on CNN, telling us that “Mitt Romney is likely to win” if he plays his cards correctly:

President Obama (who, as we all very well know, is usually known for his tremendous sense of modesty) seemed to feel the same way, downplaying his debating skills at a fundraiser in Las Vegas last night:

You may have heard that in a few days, my opponent in this election and I are going to have a debate. I’m looking forward to it. I know folks in the media are speculating already on who is going to have the best zingers — who is going to put the most points on the board… Governor Romney, he’s a good debater. I’m just okay.

This, by the way, was just before the president retired to a resort near the Las Vegas strip to hunker down for a few days of debate prep (since, you know, “no president in history” has prepared quite as much as Mitt Romney).

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I hope Pantload dumps in his pants for all to see…

Seven Percent Solution on October 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I hope Pantload dumps in his pants for all to see…

Seven Percent Solution on October 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM

That my friend would be a site to behold. *clink!*

Bmore on October 1, 2012 at 7:20 PM

site=sight

Bmore on October 1, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I’m certain Obama is a master debater.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 1, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Obama has trouble remembering his own name when the teleprompter fails him… He is a total addict to the thing. I am quite certain the single biggest word for him will be um, uh um uh one of those. SCOAMF

astonerii on October 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I don’t know if modesty laughed her azz off or if she’s indignant.

Schadenfreude on October 1, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I’m certain Obama is a master debater.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 1, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Heh – thanks for the smirks. Some didn’t get you.

Schadenfreude on October 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I hope Pantload dumps in his pants for all to see…

Seven Percent Solution on October 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM

That my friend would be a site to behold. *clink!*

Bmore on October 1, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Chris Matthews and David Brooks rushing the stage with their little silver caviar spoons!

slickwillie2001 on October 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

slickwillie2001 on October 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

aaaaaagggggghhhhh….too easy to picture man.

Tim_CA on October 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Romney might even whup O in the dance part of the contest!

KenInIL on October 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I wish the debates were like tag team events with our side having Paul Ryan and Newt Gingrich waiting in the wings, while Obama has Biden and Pelosi.

HellCat on October 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I can lie from more positions than a contortionist floating in zero gravity, while master debater Mitt Romney wants to kill old people, cause cancer to those he fires, and hide all his evil money in the sneaky ole Cayman Islands.

profitsbeard on October 1, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I just did something I have never done before. I tuned into Nightly News with Brian Williams. I was very hopeful to find out some facts on the fast and furious story.

Braver than me.

He and Andrea Mitchell did do some solid fluffing for 0. I waited, feeling sure the two of them would Segway into F & F, that didn’t happen.

Bmore on October 1, 2012 at 7:10 PM

So I gotta do this gently because I really despair of online spelling and grammar thugs. I buy you a Texas tequila shot, virtually, to atone.

RushBaby on October 1, 2012 at 9:56 PM

SCOAMF is lost without the teleprompter. No matter what happens the Media will still call it an Obama win.

Jason Taylor Sacked You on October 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM

The arrogance of the Big Zero makes me so irate. I just want to see someone knock him down off his high horse.

COgirl on October 1, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Everything I see is using this to say Obama is trying to downplay expectations, but it sounds different to me. He sounds sarcastic and condescending.

Rbastid on October 2, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Dear Leader is thin skinned, never held accountable for anything he says, does or fails to do, and is never ever publicly challenged by his fawning propagandists aka the media – of course he sucks at debating-ideologues with NPD always suck in debates.

anne romney owns a show horse therefore all points made by her husband in debate with the Magic Halfrican Jesus are invalid. that’s about how it will go.

mittens on October 2, 2012 at 5:07 AM