CNN hits hard on Libya: The only conclusion is that the White House tried to cover something up

posted at 10:01 pm on October 1, 2012 by Allahpundit

You already knew that the White House had reason to believe that Benghazi was a bona fide terror attack within 24 hours of it happening, no matter what Susan Rice said four days later, but I want you to watch this for two reasons. One: After the post on media bias, let’s give credit where it’s due. CNN has followed this story, and on primetime shows like this one and Anderson Cooper’s too. Two: Per Eli Lake’s piece in Newsweek today, someone has started leaking preliminary intel assessments made by the CIA that pointed to a spontaneous attack. (I wrote about that here.) I think you’re going to hear more about that from the White House in the next days and weeks, e.g., “We were only telling you what the CIA told us.” Read Lake’s piece to see why that won’t wash, then watch this clip as CNN’s own foreign affairs correspondent reveals that her intel sources were pointing to a full-fledged attack on the consulate within the first 24 hours. Essentially, to believe that the White House had clean hands in this, you need to believe that the CIA is so inept that the media’s contacts in the intelligence community are more astute than the people advising the president. Nothing would surprise me at this point, but given O’s strong electoral incentives to downplay what happened, the cover-up theory seems more likely.

Exit question: Who made the decision to cherry-pick the intel in order to push the “spontaneous protest” theory? That’s the next blank in this story to be filled in.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Released in “prime time” while the rest of America is watching Monday Night Football.

Sgt Steve on October 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM

CNN commits random act of journalism.

clippermiami on October 1, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Why does Jarrett’s face look like it’s made of plastic?

Lanceman on October 1, 2012 at 10:57 PM

He never rises to the challenge of answering questions about the America-hating thug he supports.

Right Mover on October 1, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Like a lot of other deadbeat liberals, they only care about the balance on their EBT card at the beginning of the month, or how many free minutes are on their Obama phone.

They will never be anything more than that.

BruthaMan on October 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Why does Jarrett’s face look like it’s made of plastic?

Lanceman on October 1, 2012 at 10:57 PM

The face of Satan. She is pure, unadulterated evil.

Right Mover on October 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Why does Jarrett’s face look like it’s made of plastic?

Lanceman on October 1, 2012 at 10:57 PM

She could have been in “Planet of the Apes” without any makeup. Yeah, I said it ;-)

BruthaMan on October 1, 2012 at 11:01 PM

The Dam is bursting. Most people have limits on how long they will allow themselves to be made fools of. Obama has feet of clay and the Media is beginning to cast their eyes thereon.

Basilsbest on October 1, 2012 at 11:03 PM

c’mon….had to be obumbles….with input from hillary.

They both had the most to lose.

Tim_CA on October 1, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Why does Jarrett’s face look like it’s made of plastic?

Lanceman on October 1, 2012 at 10:57 PM

She conducts herself like Rasputin, but her looks remind me of that False Face villain from the old Batman show.

BuckeyeSam on October 1, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I think Hillary refused to go out and lie, so they made Rice do it.

PattyJ on October 1, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Hey trollboy, you ran away and never answered my questions from last night in the QOTD thread.

What is King Obama’s plan?

I will continue to wait.

JPeterman on October 1, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Well, I thought everyone knew that he wants to hire 100,000 new math and science teachers, and he’s going to create 1 million new “manufacturing” jobs. I understand the jobs will simply fall from the sky.

TarheelBen on October 1, 2012 at 11:12 PM

How long can NBC/MSNBC ignore the story? Maybe Morning Joe can spend another 3 hours discussing “whether Romney is a good campaigner”,

Tater Salad on October 1, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Bill told Barack “if you hang this on Hillary I’ll bury you”.

Tater Salad on October 1, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Bill told Barack “if you hang this on Hillary I’ll bury you”.

Tater Salad on October 1, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Bingo!

JPeterman on October 1, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Why does Jarrett’s face look like it’s made of plastic? condom?

Lanceman on October 1, 2012 at 10:57 PM

…I think it was a little more elastic! ^

KOOLAID2 on October 1, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I know you are here to get under peoples skin-you do the opposite for me. Your so pathetic I sit here laughing at you. To take the time you do at con sites says a lot. I show any a friend-they laugh at you as well.
Thanks- you only add to the entertaining stupid. I use pople like you as an example..thank you.

bazil9 on October 1, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Maybe they’re laughing at your use of the English language.

rjl1999 on October 1, 2012 at 11:18 PM

This is the same Client Number Nine network that uses the dead Ambassador’s diary as a news source, right ?

burrata on October 1, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Rut roh. CNN got a message from the Clintoon Camp.

Key West Reader on October 1, 2012 at 10:22 PM

…my bride has ALWAYS referred to CNN as the Clinton News Network….ever since BJ was first elected and yet today.

KOOLAID2 on October 1, 2012 at 11:29 PM

The question for CNN was at some point when do we abandon the WH lies?

Across the board in Newsrooms and also reading the speech from Pat Cadell there has to be a feeling among some of them that they are in the news business and not the propaganda business.

You have to think that at CNN they would be the first to get nervous that they sit one channel click from Fox on cable and they can’t stand up to the comparison in THIS situation and keep their credibility.

NBC,ABC,CBS can count on being on free TV and seem to think they can still preach to the choir that still watches network news but CNN knows they can’t handle this kind of cover-up with Fox around on every cable package they are on.

Secondly they don’t have to emphasize the story they can just bury it and still say they covered it accuarately. Kind of like a page 12 correction of a smear article.

Conan on October 1, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Even CNN smells your shiite, hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Thomas More on October 1, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Yea, a little late now that the Meme has been established & no ones paying attention to what you say, probably changing the channel as soon as they hear Libya, since they’ve already made up their mind! This is another standard routine by the Obama Enemy media. Get the BS story established & a couple three weeks later when only the wonks will listen without changing the channel, then act like your a journalist. What clowns!
For those following, How to take on the Obama Enemy media: http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on October 1, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Didn’t Erin used to play Charlie’s girlfriend Chelsea on 2 and a half men?/……

dentarthurdent on October 1, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Bringing this from the QOTD thread:

I got that stupid scripting error AGAIN!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr….

Scrumpy on October 1, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I’ve got the same thing. Can’t post to it. Why do Ed & AP have to use these ABC videos continuously? Between their auto refresh, Townhall ads for everything under the sun and now Samsung ads which are all pop ups it’s aggravating.

The Open Source Player that ABC uses contain widgets and evidently have bad code or bad script.

If anyone knows how to contact Ed or AP, please let me know. I’ve tried, but nothing goes thru. They evidently use that Microsoft Exchange which I don’t have since I’m not a business:-)

Sorry for the rant, but this happens everyday and has ever since HA started using ABC videos on their threads.

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 11:54 PM

If this story gets legs between now and November, it could be Obama’s Katrina. The fact that CNN is covering it could make it a mainstream story.

ghostwriter on October 1, 2012 at 11:57 PM

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 11:54 PM

you can get thru it by just keeping on clicking on the yes and the no and it goes away so u can do what u want to do. it comes back though if u click on another post on the thread.

gracie on October 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 11:54 PM

gracie on October 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Thanks for your reply. When I get the script error, I can’t close the window and the yes or no doesn’t work. I can’t close the thread. The only thing is to use Task Manager and “end task” and that will close it and any other window I have open!! I have 3 computers and the same thing happens on each.

I did see that a new “Contact Hot Air” is at the top of the threads. So I sent some info just a few minutes ago. Hopefully, I’ll hear something:-)

bluefox on October 2, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Wow, CNN hits hard on a story from a month ago. Whoopie. Obama and the media already have what they want out of this. They wanted to make it an undercurrent story like fast and furious and the economy in general. And the vast majority of Americans don’t have enough details to be mad about anything. Let’s give CNN a prize.

JavelinaBomb on October 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Why does Jarrett’s face look like it’s made of plastic?
Lanceman on October 1, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Let me answer that with a photo:

LegendHasIt on October 2, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Wait until someone digs up the tapes of Jay Carney, White House Press Secretary working for Owe, not the CIA, telling exactly the same lies Rice told.

THEN try to float that CIA, bad intelligence, mix-up stuff.

katablog.com on October 2, 2012 at 12:35 AM

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Thanks for posting this.

It’s been driving me nuts today…although only occurring on HA, I figured it was local…..I keep alot of windows open and stuff running.

Tim_CA on October 2, 2012 at 12:45 AM

bluefox on October 1, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Thanks for posting this.

Tim_CA on October 2, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Your welcome. I could never post it on any HA ABC Video thread:-) I could only read page one on those and that’s when I noticed others were having a problem. Flora Duh and some others.

As soon as I hear back from HA/Ed/AP or anyone, I’ll post their reply. Maybe they weren’t aware of it and they may post a comment. Either way, I’ll make sure it’s posted.

I usually have 6-8 Windows open too and a couple of Notepads. What a mess. Now if it happens, I save first before using Task Manager.

bluefox on October 2, 2012 at 12:55 AM

“We were only telling you what the CIA told us” was considered the equivalent of a lie when George Bush said it about that sentence in his State of the Union speech. If every word he spoke was not considered absolutely correct to the end of time, he was obviously lying to the American people. That was their definition of lying: “Telling the American people something that upon further investigation turned out to be not so.”

Fred 2 on October 2, 2012 at 12:56 AM

P.S. Just was on another website that uses the ABC Video and the same thing happened. So it’s those Videos that are causing the problems. Never had to use Task Manager so much before:-)

bluefox on October 2, 2012 at 12:58 AM

CNN was not nearly as outraged as they should be.

The Whitehouse lied for days, weeks! In fact has Obama admitted it yet? From his own mouth? I dont’ think so. Even after Carney made the “self-evident” statement, Obama went to the UN with the lies! And on Univision and the view… Obama keeps telling the lies! And that dumb ad they played in Pakistan… all lies out of his own mouth!!!

What is wrong with CNN that they say Rice got the short end of the stick? That isn’t the issue… who cares who was picked to tell the lies!!!! It is about the President lying to the People and the World!!!!

Obama himself lied and keeps lying about it. That isn’t even talked about.

The President lied! Not the Whitehouse. Not Ambassador Rice! The President of the Untied States is lying daily about the assasination of our Ambassador to Lybia!!!!

Hold him accountable!

petunia on October 2, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I can’t believe how many “random acts of journalism” there have been in the past three weeks, two from Univision. one from CNN and another from BuzzFeed! Is MSNBC next?

Of course they were lying, all they talked about was how Osama was dead, but Al Queda is not going to die, they want to avenge his death and the other one that Osama’s successor made the video about on September 10. I’m sorry, I can’t spell the Egyptian’s name, I’m sure he couldn’t spell mine!

carolt2 on October 2, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Watched this story on CNN. Yes, it manages to cover the story but never fear: Obama is not once criticized personally and by name.

Now that would be a miracle!

Sherman1864 on October 2, 2012 at 1:09 AM

One has to understand critical race theory before applying spontaneous protest theory. Moreover, one has to be black, or a CNN journalist, or Soledad O’Brien to comprehend the full meaning of CRT. When I feel the need to spontaneously protest, I never leave home without my RPG launcher and Koran.

racquetballer on October 2, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Given what we now know about the abysmal security situation at the Benghazi consulate, especially in light of the highly unstable mixture of jihadis and weapons, as well as the fact that my dog knew that September 11th was one of the most likely days for such a mixture to blow up, it is little wonder why the cumbaya crowd in the White House tried to cover their behinds with the spontaneous mob scenario.

What I haven’t heard, however, is why a man who is telling his diary he thinks he is on al-Queda’s hit list decides to swim in that mixture on the very day it is most likely to explode? Why was Ambassador Stevens even in Benghazi on September 11th? What was so all-fired important that he left the relative protection of the embassy in Tripoli?

My guess is that the answer to this question will reveal the real reason for the cover-up. Knowing this White House and this State Department, my guess is that Ambassador Stevens went to Benghazi, despite the Brits having already pulled out, to engage in some covert outreach of some kind that the naifs in the Administration thought might lead to a better understanding between “our peoples.” He went there at the invitation of some group to whom the Administration wanted to talk, but could not publicly do so due to, oh, I don’t know, the fact that the group was affiliated with al-Queda or some such other terrorist organization. Stevens then walked into a trap, a planned assassination, and the Administration tried to avoid having to explain his location by focusing the American public on the spontaneous mob that never happened.

This would also explain why we have such little information about the actual whereabouts of Ambassador Stevens, both at the time of the attack and for several hours thereafter, as well as the actual cause of his death.

I’m not ordinarily one for conspiracy theories, but this White House lost the benefit of the doubt a long time ago. Anyone actually believe they are not negotiating the release of the Blind Sheik right now?

Mongo Mere Pawn on October 2, 2012 at 2:14 AM

You keep poking a wolverine with a sharp stick, eventually you get your balls ripped off.

dirtengineer on October 2, 2012 at 2:41 AM

My bet: President Axelrod.

And they trotted Rice out to protect Hillary, who may have refused to go with the talking points in the first place.

petefrt on October 2, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Why aren’t other media outlets covering this? Why are they hiding the truth from the public?
Write to media and complain:

Email Address of Journalists, News Editors, TV Anchors & Web Reporters

The Free Speech Zone Media Contact List

albill on October 2, 2012 at 6:40 AM

Why was Ambassador Stevens even in Benghazi on September 11th? …

Mongo Mere Pawn on October 2, 2012 at 2:14 AM

My guess too. But why isn’t someone pressing that question, why was he there in the first place?

petefrt on October 2, 2012 at 6:47 AM

Sherman1864 on October 2, 2012 at 1:09 AM

*sigh*

he’ll never get the blame

cmsinaz on October 2, 2012 at 7:09 AM

For the CNN skeptics out there saying they were too late, et al. I’ve been watching and this is not the first time for Erin Burnette or Anderson Cooper on this issue. Even Wolf Blitzer got into the act and have been for some time.

It’s the CNN Newsroom, however, that hasn’t gotten the message yet. They (all the morning and daytime and weekend ‘presenters’) are still covering for Obama big time.

MaggiePoo on October 2, 2012 at 7:18 AM

CNN, faced with sharply declining audience and demographics… experiments with actually doing their jobs on a single story.

You never know, there might be something to this entire ‘report the facts’ concept instead of trying to push an agenda via story lines.

*hint, hint*

ajacksonian on October 2, 2012 at 7:26 AM

TarheelBen on October 1, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Ben, any word on the rainbows and unicorns that cr@p gold nuggets he promised in 2008.

~ patient Lib-tard

socalcon on October 2, 2012 at 7:36 AM

ajacksonian on October 2, 2012 at 7:26 AM

James Earl Jones rolls over in his grave, um, er, …well, you know…

socalcon on October 2, 2012 at 7:39 AM

My bet: President Axelrod.

Perhaps, but the even money bet is Vice President Jarrett.

socalcon on October 2, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Nielsen ratings are a biatch.

Sorry Hopey.

FlaMurph on October 2, 2012 at 7:47 AM

The whole tone is very explanatory. Why the White House – not Obama, The White House or The Administration felt they could go with the Rice story. “Candy can tell you, Clinton doesn’t do interviews.” You are left with the feeling it is Clinton throwing Rice under the bus, not Obama.

Is this actually CNN reporting or simply another attempt to offer excuses for the Obama administration.

D.L.Mc on October 2, 2012 at 7:48 AM

D.L.Mc on October 2, 2012 at 7:48 AM

go with door #2

cmsinaz on October 2, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Yes, but the fawning Obama press has their meme. That is, the CIA told us it was spontaneous. They will repeat that mantra and print it on lunchboxes. It will, like most other lies perpetrated by this administration, become de-facto truth with the press.

I won’t give CNN any kudos until their reporting becomes consistently good. On this, they actually reported most of the facts, which means they did their job.

The overriding fact is that Mr. Obama’s foreign policy, especially with respect to AQ and terrorists, is an , naive, abysmal failure. It has made us less safe and made the possibility of additional attacks more likely.

Marcus Traianus on October 2, 2012 at 8:22 AM

What worries me about the polls is Rasmussen. I can bury my head in the sand over CNN, WaPo, NYT, et al but Ras has Romney down 3. Well, he did yesterday. I will see at 9:30 about today.

Hopeless Future on October 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I agree with Greg Gutfeld, an important question to get answer for is where did the administration get the idea to push the video lie in the first place. Who told them about a video that no one had seen or even heard of until 9/11 and how did they come to the conclusion that the rioting was due to this idiotic film?

crazywater on October 2, 2012 at 9:00 AM

soooooooooooo, prudence, an abundance of caution, nothing to see here, move along?

FineasFinn on October 2, 2012 at 9:11 AM

D.U.H. analysis.

So, as I say in d@mn near every “today’s fresh outrage”post, when are the Republicans (voters and pols) gonna take ACTION on it? Start investigations, bring charges, camp outside of offices until action is taken, drag people out if necessary?

All this is is more rampant and blatant Dem criminality, Republican whining, all without any consequence, except to the people/voters/taxpayers.

Saltyron on October 2, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Like everyone else in this country they’re waiting to make decisions until November 7th.

MaggiePoo on October 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Were we so blind! Are we so blind!

The following is a narrative taken from a 2008 Sunday morning televised “Meet The Press’.

From Sunday’s 07 Sept. 2008 11:48:04 EST, Televised “Meet the Press” the THEN Senator Obama was asked about his stance on the American Flag.

General Bill Gann’ USAF (ret.) asked Obama to explain WHY he doesn’t follow protocol when the National Anthem is played.

The General stated to Obama that according to the United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10, Sec. 171…
During rendition of the national anthem, when the flag is displayed, all present (except those in uniform) are expected to stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Or, at the very least, “Stand and Face It”.

NOW GET THIS !!’Senator Obama replied:

“As I’ve said about the flag pin, I don’t want to be perceived as taking sides”. “There are a lot of people in the world to whom the American flag is a symbol of oppression..” “The anthem itself conveys a war-like message. You know, the bombs bursting in air and all that sort of thing.”

(ARE YOU READY FOR THIS???)

Obama continued: “The National Anthem should be ‘swapped’ for something less parochial and less bellicose. I like the song ‘I’d Like To Teach the World To Sing’. If that were our anthem, then, I might salute it. In my opinion, we should consider reinventing our National Anthem as well as ‘redesign’ our Flag to better offer our enemies hope and love. It’s my intention, if elected, to disarm America to the level of acceptance to our Middle East Brethren. If we, as a Nation of warring people, conduct ourselves like the nations of Islam, where peace prevails – - – perhaps a state or period of mutual accord could exist between our governments ……”

“When I become President, I will seek a pact of agreement to end hostilities between those who have been at war or in a state of enmity, and a freedom from disquieting oppressive thoughts. We as a Nation, have placed upon the nations of Islam, an unfair injustice which is WHY my wife disrespects the Flag and she and I have attended several flag burning ceremonies in the past”.

“Of course now, I have found myself about to become the President of the United States and I have put my hatred aside. I will use my power to bring CHANGE to this Nation, and offer the people a new path. My wife and I look forward to becoming our Country’s First black Family. Indeed,CHANGE is about to overwhelm the United States of America ”

Yes, you read it right.

I, for one, am speechless!!!

Bambi on October 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM

OK, I checked a site and it says this is not all true. Well I still think he feels that way. This was penned by: Dale Lindsborg , Washington Post

Bambi on October 2, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Why does Jarrett’s face look like it’s made of plastic?
Lanceman on October 1, 2012 at 10:57 PM

She is Freddie Kruger’s sister

Sticky Wicket on October 2, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Obviously, it was the Obama administration that made the decision. The CIA is not strictly an independent organization, it is part of the administration, and Panetta is Obama’s guy. The assessment was written and distributed three days after the attacks:

Unclassified documents from the Central Intelligence Agency suggest the answer may have to do with so-called talking points written by the CIA and distributed to members of Congress and other government officials, including Susan Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. The documents, distributed three days after the attacks that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens, said the events were spontaneous.

We know that the administration knew within 24 hours that the attack on our consolate was organized. They had two days to work out a strategy/cover story, and got the talking points they needed. Of course, they gave themselves an out:

In addition, the briefing says this “assessment may change as additional information is collected” and that the “investigation is on-going.”

The question is “why”? Why wait to report the truth? Why downplay? I think this is the smoking gun:

To date, the U.S. intelligence community has not said on the record and definitively that the attack was planned by al Qaeda. That determination is important. If the U.S. government concludes the 9/11 attack is the work of al Qaeda, then a military response is legally justified under the Sept. 14, 2001 resolution authorizing war against the organization.

The attack on our embassy was an act of war per the Sept. 14 resolution. Had the administration admitted the truth immediately, while the news was still fresh and tempers high, they may have had to act, which this President does not want to do. By dragging this thing out, tempers calm and the call for response dissipates.

The entire rational for Obama’s support of the Arab Spring is that, once corrupt dictators supported by the U.S. are gone from the Middle East, the reason for Arab anger against the West will abate. The theory is wrong, but is nonetheless believed fervently by the left, and by the Ron Paul/Libertarian right.

If the Obama administration can drag this thing out, allowing the Libyan government to arrest, try, and execute a few terrorists for the attacks, he can spin that into vindication for his Arab policy, and not have to engage militarily during an election year.

Mr. Arkadin on October 2, 2012 at 10:15 AM

While lies about the Benghazi attack were typical Obama bluster, the cover-up here is Obama’s main assignment from his islamic bosses to not allow anything even remotely anti-islam to occupy American’s thinking for any length of time.
Obama would do back flips if he had to to please his islamic bosses, but it appears that he isn’t the greatest when it comes to carrying out their orders.
Now, the boys running Libya are on the spot from the same bosses to run down and have a shoot out with the expendable critters that did the attacking and murders – just as long as none of the, survive to talk.

dockywocky on October 2, 2012 at 11:08 AM

albill on October 2, 2012 at 6:40 AM

We have people trying to reason with terrorists and then you are worse. Writing to the media to complain?

Whistle a happy tune when a shark is swimming right at you!

Mr. Arkadin on October 2, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Yes, indeed. Another notion was that President Bush believed that elections and a free people would produce governments which would not invade neighbors or carry out violent acts.

IlikedAUH2O on October 2, 2012 at 11:41 AM

“White house” talking points. “Some in the White House.” Just say it CNN, every body knows it. OOOOOBAAAAMAAAAAA

rollthedice on October 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Lies too big to ignore… Especially when CNN had the scoop

Opinionnation on October 2, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Cause no one with an IQ over 90 could possibly figure out that a bunch of arabs disguised in US military uniforms, armed with rocket launchers, attacking US embassies, on the anniversary of 9-11 was a terrorist attack without the brilliance of CNN’s news staff showing the way. And obviously we wouldn’t be able to tell that Obama was lying to us without CNN’s help/

talkingpoints on October 2, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Oh I’m sure that if they allegedly covered up any alleged terrorist attack, it was for our own good.

dts-01 on October 2, 2012 at 10:33 PM