Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on September 30, 2012 by Allahpundit

Mitt Romney is about as close to defeating President Barack Obama as any Republican could have hoped to be. The polls–if you believe them–show him slightly or significantly behind, but within striking distance. The challenge he faces is unique: he is acting, and is being treated as, the incumbent rather than the insurgent. In effect, “President” Romney has been in office since mid-August, with none of the power but all of the responsibility.

It was President Romney, not Obama, who set aside time to visit victims of Hurricane Isaac. It was President Romney, not Obama, who reacted swiftly to the attacks on our embassies by standing up for American freedom. It was President Romney, not Obama, who took on the entitlements crisis head-on by adopting many of Paul Ryan’s ideas. It was President Romney, not Obama, who laid out a practical plan for the housing crisis.

The media have also treated Romney as the incumbent, pouncing on every word and gesture, seizing on every mistake and inventing errors where none exist. Romney’s so-called “gaffes” have one thing in common: they are all statements of fact. He is being held to a presidential standard–for presidents should know better than to tell all–while Obama’s outright lies to the nation (on Libya, the debt, etc.) are ignored by the media.

***

Previously, the press has been both biased in a partisan way and an in an ideological way, but usually the partisanship was driven by ideology. As you may have noticed, the press are great fans of gay marriage and abortion, and they shape their coverage to put the best possible face on these positions, and the worst possible face on opponents. (To the extent they feature contrary voices at all.)

That’s bias, of course. We’ve gotten used to that.

But in the Benghazi debacle, there is no possible ideological grounding to explain their bias. There is, I trust, no ideological movement that advocates for intelligence failures and the deaths of good-guy diplomats. There is no ideological movement in favor of reckless incompetence bordering on malice in providing security for consulates abroad (which, as a legal matter, are considered US territory)…

This isn’t ideological bias, then. This is pure advocacy for a political party. Obama’s embarrassment is not an ideological issue — or should not be. I hope we can all agree that a president should attend security briefings — especially as 9/11 approaches — and provide adequate warning and security for US government personnel. I hope we can all agree that the government does not suddenly gain a Right To Shamelessly Lie about its failures, simply because it finds it politically advantageous to do so.

***

I think we’re at the most dangerous time in our political history in terms of the balance of power in the role that the media plays in whether or not we maintain a free democracy or not. You know, when I first started in politics – and for a long time before that – everyone on both sides, Democrats and Republicans, despised the press commonly, because they were SOBs to everybody. Which is exactly what they should be. They were unrelenting. Whatever the biases were, they were essentially equal-opportunity people.

That changed in 1980…

If a president of either party—I don’t care whether it was Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton or George Bush or Ronald Reagan or George H. W. Bush—had a terrorist incident, and got on an airplane after saying something, and flown off to a fundraiser in Las Vegas, they would have been crucified! It would have been—it should have been the equivalent, for Barack Obama, of George Bush’s “flying over Katrina” moment. But nothing was said at all, and nothing will be said…

We have a political campaign where, to put the best metaphor I can on it, where the referees on the field are sacking the quarterback of one team, tripping up their runners, throwing their bodies in front of blockers, and nobody says anything. The Republicans don’t.

***

Via Mediaite.

***

Via the Daily Caller.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Joe not interested in 4 dead Americans. Moving on to Romney’s bad week.

faraway on October 1, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Yeah, and I’m calling him out on it on Twitter.

Of course I then get some idiot lib who tries to divert the topic to Boooooooosh! Pissing her off that I’m not biting.

Flora Duh on October 1, 2012 at 7:53 AM

A new POLITICO/George Washington University Battleground Poll of likely voters shows President Barack Obama ahead 49 percent to 47 percent.

Flora Duh on October 1, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Flora Duh on October 1, 2012 at 7:53 AM

go girl :)

cmsinaz on October 1, 2012 at 7:59 AM

do we know the sample for this new poll?

cmsinaz on October 1, 2012 at 7:09 AM

Washington Post-ABC News Poll

Flora Duh on October 1, 2012 at 7:20 AM

I love the “random sampling” claim. These guys call all new numbers every time they need poll results. Sure. I trust them.

Since they are so ” forthcoming” with all of their data – why don’t they ever post the State of origin of those being polled. Are they weighting CA – NY – IL fairly ?

Since the media scum have ignored Fast/Furious – Benghazi, at this inconvenient time, it’s laughable to think anything this media purports as to be ” HONEST”

FlaMurph on October 1, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Wall Street Journal

Mitt Romney: A New Course for the Middle East

Flora Duh on October 1, 2012 at 8:01 AM

With all the drivel on polls, I really would be interested in determining the population make-up of the 9% who actually participate in answering the pollsters and I believe those results would tell us much more than anything else…I have said Mitt by 7% for a long time and still clutching on to that number…

hillsoftx on October 1, 2012 at 8:02 AM

FlaMurph on October 1, 2012 at 8:01 AM

True. And when they release statewide polls I’d like to know where in the state they got their results from. As you know, polling someone in Miami is not going to give you the same results that polling someone in Ocala will.

Flora Duh on October 1, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Ah heah dey bees pollin’ Harlem spesh’ whi’ Jearh Springah an’ Montel is ahn’.

viking01 on October 1, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Yeah, and I’m calling him out on it on Twitter.

Flora Duh on October 1, 2012 at 7:53 AM

How do you do all this? I want to get in on the Twitter action, but I’m not sure how to get my tweets noticed. You should post some Twitter tips here for commenters… kind of like a mini seminar for HotAir readers as a way to create and train some new Twitter activists. I’m sure a lot of people here would be good additions on Twitter.

bluegill on October 1, 2012 at 8:31 AM

bluegill on October 1, 2012 at 8:31 AM

you don’t have the least bit of shame do you? yet….the silence is deafening……lol.

renalin on October 1, 2012 at 9:01 AM

gilled one, twitterball?

Bmore on October 1, 2012 at 9:36 AM

You guys left off one of Americas finest tool manufactures. Porter Cable.

Bmore on October 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM

You guys left off one of Americas finest tool manufactures. Porter Cable.

Bmore on October 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Sorry.
I have used ONE Porter Cable tool. I believe it was a heavy duty concrete core (hole) saw, and it worked very well.

listens2glenn on October 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I do NOT accept Allahpundit’s premise that “Mitt Romney is about as close to defeating President Barack Obama as any Republican could have hoped to be.” A strong ideologically based conservative message would not just come close to beating Obama, but would handily defeat him and his left wing allies. Romney is saying the right words most of the time, but it is just not coming across in the way that it did when Ronald Reagan did the talking. I am not sure why and I wish it were otherwise, but that is the way it seems to me.

I do, however, believe that Allahpundit is 1000% correct that the media has become an advocacy group for the Obama Democrats. I have been saying for almost four years that one of the lessons for conservatives from the 2008 election is that the media has become a propaganda organ for the Obama Democrats and left wing socialist causes and that we need to act accordingly. Don’t think First Amendment when it comes to the New York Times; think Pravda in the old Soviet Union.

Phil Byler on October 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Phil Byler on October 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM

If you’re not “natural born” (gifted) with such talent, it’s difficult to develop it. Mitt doesn’t have that “gift”. It won’t affect his ability to make decisions in office. It does affect his ability to “sell” himself, which I believe was your point.
The Great Communicator (Reagan) was very gifted all the way around.

Phil Byler on October 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Phil’, most of us older conservatives arrived at that conclusion back about the beginning of Reagan’s 2nd term (or sooner).

Still, better late than never. So, welcome to the club ! … : )

listens2glenn on October 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM