NFL Week 4 open thread

posted at 11:01 am on September 30, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I had big plans for this week’s NFL open-thread post if the officials hadn’t returned to duty.  Instead of handicapping the teams, I was going to handicap the refs, making a few references to Lingerie Bowl-reject officiating, and offer crazy predictions … well, crazier than normal, I guess.  The debacle in Seattle derailed those plans, however, and the regular officials returned on Thursday night, and brought back a modicum of sanity in the Ravens’ close win over the Browns.

This week, the Steelers have a bye, so I’ll pick six other games rather than five.  Last week I went 2-4, which I totally blame on the replacement refs, to put me back to .500 at 9-9 for the season.  Let’s see if I can’t get out from behind last week’s eight-ball:

• Vikings at Lions — The Vikes took care of business against an excellent 49ers team at the Marshmallow Dome, but this week they face a pretty decent Lions team on the road.  Christian Ponder is a little dinged up, too.  I’m picking the Lions at home in a tough divisional contest, 34-30, but if the Vikes can win their first road game today, they may be for real.
  • 49ers at Jets — The 49ers are going to be looking to rebound from their upset loss to the Vikes last week.  The Jets play tough at home — but Darrell Revis is out for the season, too.  I’m going with San Francisco to get out ahead early and keep Mark Sanchez under pressure, with the 49ers outlasting the Jets 24-20.Note: Jazz almost certainly disagrees with me.
  • Raiders at Broncos – The Raiders won their first game of the season last week at home against the Steelers, who played sloppy defense.  I don’t think the Raiders can duplicate that performance against the Broncos at Mile High.  Look for Peyton Manning to start getting hot earlier in games, stick with the no-huddle from the start, and put some big points up on Oakland, 38-27.
  • Dolphins at Cardinals – There are three undefeated teams still left in the NFL, a pretty low number after just three weeks.  This might be the most competitive of the three games today in which they play. Don’t expect Arizona to slow down against Miami, though, which lost a tough OT game last week against the Jets at home.  Arizona should win by a TD, 27-20, without OT.
  • Panthers at Atanta – Another of the unbeaten teams takes the field against a 1-2 opponent — and also should have no trouble with them.  The Panthers have some ability to surprise people, but I don’t think they can stack up against the Falcons in Atlanta.  31-20, Falcons.  (The Titans-Texans game is so lopsided that I won’t bother to make a pick.)
  • Giants at Eagles – This should be a really good game between two division rivals, both at 2-1.  Giants have won their only road game, while Philly won their only home game so far.  Philly’s looked a little ragged, though, and I think the Giants are the stronger team overall, with Michael Vick the real wildcard in the equation.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see this go to OT, but I think the Giants will edge the Eagles, 31-28.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Welcome back refs!

abobo on September 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Yet still you won’t pick the 2013 Superbowl-winning Texans games. Your loss.

Wino on September 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Try that again.

abobo on September 30, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Anyone remember Ed’s picks from last week? I can’t recall how the Steelers did. LOL, and a good time was had by all.

abobo on September 30, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Back in black (and white).

RAAAACISTS!!!

honsy on September 30, 2012 at 11:05 AM

The Cards are for real. That defense is ridiculous.

Ranger1325 on September 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM

…I’m afraid my Lions are like my Spartans… who last year would be in the game and pull out last second wins…don’t seem to have that finishing touch this year.

KOOLAID2 on September 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Wino on September 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Brother, you oughta THANK him for not making that pick. LOL!!!

abobo on September 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Just great…Ed just had to opine about the Jets…may has well congratulate 49ers fans for a win and get it over with :/

JetBoy on September 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Go Steelers!

(ducks for cover)

Del Dolemonte on September 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM

abobo on September 30, 2012 at 11:05 AM

TOUCHDOWN … RAIDERRRRRRRRRRRRRRZZZ!

aunursa on September 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM

gonna be too hot to bbq ’til the late games.

:-(

Tim_CA on September 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM

JetBoy on September 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I’m a Niner fan, and Ed is 1-2 this season when picking their games. The Jets have a shot.

Left Coast Right Mind on September 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM

OT: Gotta love that pennant race in the American League East. Orioles and Yankees tied for first with 4 games to play. Us Red Sox fans are actually cheering for them to lose today in Baltimore.

The Blues Jays have been doing their part. Check out this catch from Friday night.

Del Dolemonte on September 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM

The Cards are for real. That defense is ridiculous.

Ranger1325 on September 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM

The Fins will win.

VegasRick on September 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I have a new found respect for the regular refs. It’s not that I won’t get PO’d when they make a bad call, but the last few weeks has made me realize just how often they do get it right!

Go 49ers…they need to redeem themselves after getting beat by the VikQueens last week!

Liberty or Death on September 30, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Too late for me. A few dollars more in the pockets of the owners (and probably players) was all they were interested in, not the integrity of the game. I’m not watching NFL broadcasts in any fashion. I am boycotting the NFL, and wish the majority of fans would join in that. They need to understand that it’s for the fans, and the profits are a by product of making and presenting a product that has actual worth and integrity. Until I see signs of that, no more NFL for me.

The baseball player’s strike that resulted in the split season was similar. One side didn’t care about the sport or the fans. It took several years for Major League Baseball to recover from their own pig headedness and I’d really love to see the NFL go down in flames for a few years. Maybe it would even help the hapless taxpayers by preventing greedy jerks like Jerry Johnson from raping the tax payer to build extravagant stadiums instead of paying for it themselves. It is a private business and has no honest claim to tax payer dollars to enhance their income stream.

Webrider on September 30, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Well after the last 2 pitiful weeks I find myself at 24-24. Hopefully can turn things around this week, maybe the refs return will be mine as well. Cindy our skins need to find a way to put together a win or risk losing the season already, but agree with you thoughts last week it has at least been exciting losses this year. Skins find a way not to lose it in the 4th qtr and squeak out a win over TB
Got the Ravens over Browns
Cards over Miami
Denver over Raiders
GB over Saints
Phila over NYG
Bears over Cowgirls

smitty41 on September 30, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I have a new found respect for the regular refs.

Liberty or Death on September 30, 2012 at 11:29 AM

LMAO, I know – said the same thing to some friends last night last night….I’m betting you never thought in a million years you’d say that…….

before the strike.

Tim_CA on September 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM

may has well congratulate 49ers fans for a win and get it over with :/

JetBoy on September 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM

It’s gettin’ close to Tebow Time in New York.

What I find really funny is that the Broncos are 1-2. Imagine if Manning takes them to 1-4. Then Kyle Orton = Peyton Manning. And if Manning cannot beat Tebow’s record last year, don’t Fox/Elway look like idiots?

lorien1973 on September 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I just wish Houston also had a MLB team.

But here in Dubai, I just found a Euro site where I can watch football for less than $150 per year. Sorry, NFL. They might be illegal, but after your refs fiasco, and the lockout from 2011, you owe me a few free games.

Abobo, I’m sure he’d pick against them, so I’d be safe. Houston never gets any respect. Maybe 4-0 will get some notice. Of course, if they lose to the Titans, it will be yet another “coulda been” season.

Wino on September 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Go Steelers!

(ducks for cover)

Del Dolemonte on September 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I have wagered a sizable percentage on my vast personal fortune that the Steelers will not lose this week. /s

Scott P on September 30, 2012 at 11:45 AM

How does Manning’s record affect Elway’s IQ? Sorry, but I think he’s an idiot even if Manning wins the Superbowl.

Wino on September 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Skins find a way not to lose it in the 4th qtr and squeak out a win over TB

Screw you dude. It’ll be more like the Bucs will find a way not to win the game in the final minute.

Bucs will rack up nearly 200 yards off offense today – I’m not quite ready to say they’ll go over 200 but it -could- happen; and run the ball 3 times in a row with a minute left, down by 2 points. Then try 3 ill-fated 5 yard passes to close out the game.

5 yard passes are the Bucs deep ball game, you now. Fear the reaper!

lorien1973 on September 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM

smitty41 on September 30, 2012 at 11:41 AM

A virtual Sam Adams Boston Lager says 49′ers take the jets

Tim_CA on September 30, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Steelers 49 – Enemy 3

Bishop on September 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM

lorien1973 on September 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM

No of course not, because Tebow throws funny.

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Wino on September 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM

If Tebow gets you to the playoffs, wins a playoff game; and the guy you hire as your “savior” cannot do the same – you look pretty stupid, don’t you?

I don’t think it’s all Mannings fault. Well one of those losses is purely his fault. But reality is that the Broncos weren’t a good team last year; they aren’t one this year either.

Then again, I still want to see a true option offense in the NFL. I bet it’d work great – in the regular season.

lorien1973 on September 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM

lorien1973 on September 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM

why does it have to be

Screw you dude

?
didn’t say anything bad about TB it was about my skins penchant for blowing games, but when you are a Skins fan you fear nothing including the reaper as we have seen it all.

smitty41 on September 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Football, schmootball. President Bush 41 & 43 were in Medinah, Illinois at Ryder Cup yesterday cheering on Team USA. Lots of patriotism on display. American flags in a sea of red/white/blue and loud chorus of cheers for USA and our players. This is must see t.v. for today. My NBC boycott starts tomorrow.

Buy Danish on September 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM

LIONS ROOOOOOOAAAAAARRRR

Ugly on September 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM

smitty41 on September 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Sarcasm detector broken this morning? :P

lorien1973 on September 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

lorien1973 on September 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM

If ever two teams’ fans could empathize, this is the time.

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I like Tebow… (and Manning… I switched from the Bears to the Colts when Harbaugh left for Indy and stayed with Manning)… but Denver has one of the toughest schedules in the league.

ninjapirate on September 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I just wish Houston also had a MLB team.

Wino on September 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM

The Astros get the DH next year. Maybe that’ll help.

Left Coast Right Mind on September 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM

The Niners will continue to suck the last minute egg and go home to blame the real refs and George Bush.

Limerick on September 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Buy Danish on September 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Is the NBC boycott about anything specific or just general suckage?

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Sarcasm detector broken this morning? :P

lorien1973 on September 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

:))

smitty41 on September 30, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Not touching the Bills v Pats? Hmm. Go Bills!

On a side note, in baseball I root for two teams. The Red Sox, and whoever beats the Yankees.

EliTheBean on September 30, 2012 at 11:54 AM

before the strike.

Tim_CA on September 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Yes, you would have won that bet!

Liberty or Death on September 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Steelers 49 – Enemy 3

Bishop on September 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM

The Stealers will not score this week. Count on it!

VegasRick on September 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

The Lions are going 14-2!

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and make a wild prediction that this week’s Lions game won’t be anywhere near as crazy as last week’s Lions game.

NotCoach on September 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Buy Danish on September 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM

That was quite special and a nice surprise for our guys. Also, 42 and 43 gave our team a big pep talk last night which, I’m told, had them all jacked up. This really is the sport to watch today and looks like Team USA is in the driver’s seat to win back the Cup. I’ll be watching it with the Texans game in PIP.

GO TEAM USA!!!

TXUS on September 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Is the NBC boycott about anything specific or just general suckage?

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Journalistic Malpractice. Failure to report on Bengazi story & downturn in economic news. ACE & Beck, JWF got it started…

Buy Danish on September 30, 2012 at 12:00 PM

The Astros get the DH next year. Maybe that’ll help.

Left Coast Right Mind on September 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM

You probably believe in QE4, adding 30 million non-payers to a system will lower costs, and that there is some chance the Senate will vote for what is right for the country over what is right for their re-elections, too.

At least the Easter Bunny gives me candy.

Wino on September 30, 2012 at 12:00 PM

The Lions are going 14-2!

NotCoach on September 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM

(stashing this)

Tim_CA on September 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM

The only game that matters.

Stoic Patriot on September 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM

KOOLAID2 on September 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM

The Lions cannot be a championship team by winning all of their games in the last quarter. Last year and this year make for some exciting football, but it is time for our Lions to take the next step. I also disagree with your assessment. They came from behind in week 1, and did something last week they didn’t do last year. That is score two TDs inside of the last two minutes of a game. The Lion’s offensively did every damn thing they could to make up for abysmal defensive and special teams play.

NotCoach on September 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Limerick on September 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Nope, the 49er D will come roaring back after looking so pathetic last week! In the 49ers three losses last year where the D came up short they always came back strong the next week. The Jets will be grounded and pounded by the 49er D!

Liberty or Death on September 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Tim_CA on September 30, 2012 at 11:47 AM

sounds good

smitty41 on September 30, 2012 at 12:04 PM

(stashing this)

Tim_CA on September 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Lol. Seriously though, can you name a game in the last 10 years crazier than that Titan’s, Lion’s game?

NotCoach on September 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Steelers 49 – Enemy 3

Bishop on September 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM

The Stealers will not score this week. Count on it!

VegasRick on September 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

The piano player stops.

The bar tender looks nervously around.

The sheriff (looking over the top of the five playing cards he’s holding) stares past the dealer and says….

“Alright boys…..we don’t want no trouble ’round here”.

Tim_CA on September 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM

NotCoach on September 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Any Leon Lett game?

lorien1973 on September 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Any Leon Lett game?

lorien1973 on September 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM

That’s over 10 years ago.

NotCoach on September 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM

The Astros get the DH next year. Maybe that’ll help.

Left Coast Right Mind on September 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Yeah, if they’d had a DH this year, their record so far would’ve been, say 70-86 instead of 52-106. BFD.

TXUS on September 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM

That’s over 10 years ago.

NotCoach on September 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I’m so old.

lorien1973 on September 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Ed: have you recovered from the Steeler loss last weekend yet?

;-)

Khun Joe on September 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Go Jags!

CW on September 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM

NotCoach on September 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM

lol…Nope.

And I’m stashing it because I hope your right (too many bruises from years past).

Tim_CA on September 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM

“Alright boys…..we don’t want no trouble ’round here”.

Tim_CA on September 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Too late. He done ticked me off with his always insistin that them stealers is gonna win 49 – 3.

VegasRick on September 30, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Buy Danish on September 30, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Thanks. I will have zero problem boycotting them, I just hope they notice.

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2012 at 12:17 PM

anybody here in or been to Singapore and know if I would be able to get the games over there? Next week and possibly the week after will be there for work?

smitty41 on September 30, 2012 at 12:17 PM

What is that picture on the thread from? I hope it wasn’t their return to the game on Thursday because they both look like they have a severe case of the Obama.

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2012 at 12:18 PM

All that matters is that my Rangers will have to put in 12 hours today on a double-header, then fly to Oakland on the Red Eye, and go into their final three only two games up. No wonder my nails are bit back all the way to my elbows.

Limerick on September 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM

smitty41 on September 30, 2012 at 12:17 PM

You need DarkCurrent but I don’t know if he reads football threads.

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2012 at 12:18 PM

You can tell the real refs from the replacements. All the real ones will have on one sequenced Michael Jackson glove.

Limerick on September 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM

NotCoach on September 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM

^^^^^That

Ugly on September 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM

thanks Cindy

smitty41 on September 30, 2012 at 12:30 PM

good luck all, off to bar to watch games.

smitty41 on September 30, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Limerick on September 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Can”t make and guarantees about the second game (you never know which Derek you’re going to get), but Yu got the first game. Now if we could just get the offense to wake up and realize it id almost October.

Alia on September 30, 2012 at 12:35 PM

smitty41 on September 30, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Later smitty.

Tim_CA on September 30, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I’m heading to the cards/dolphins game in a few

Go Cards!

cmsinaz on September 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM

at little brats, beer on ice…good times

cmsinaz on September 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM

OT: drudge linking the HA post on the univision fast and furious video…

excellent

cmsinaz on September 30, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Well I was 5-1 I think (because I picked the Pack and they really won). :-)

So here goes Pappy Pigskin Picks of the Week.

Easy first one.

Hungry Lions look to put their whiny pussy cat legacy behind them by making a nice meal of the Norse Horned gods from Lakeland. If the Kitty cats tuck tail and run look for Obamaphone filled stadium to call the Preezy and start meowing they lost because the refs were racists. Lions meow to victory.

Golddiggers from the left coast to play against the Nanny state heathern with Saint Timmy playing at some position on the field. Jets bomb libs from Pelosiland. Jets fer da win.

Progressive Pirates of the Bay at Orange pony town? Hey, don’t they have that longnecked guy from Blandland Indiana? Gotta go with the Johnny Unitas dude. Orange ponies sink Pirate ship and send them back to Cali to protest and riot in streets.

Florida fishies against the Missouri redbirds that migrated to the Desert? The dry heat of the southwest isn’t friendly for fish from the Atlantic beaches. Desert birdies for the win.

More animal mascots NFL really? ugh…….

Panthers and the Falcons? Birds peck the Cam kitty cats to death in the Peachyplace. Does Ted Turner still own Atlanta? Because if he did I would never pick any Georgia team for spite.

Giants at Eagles?
More bird teams? #stopitplease
Giants have that Neck guys’ brother right? They playing that Dog fighter? Well Bloomberg Boys should cage the birdies from Obamaland. Did you know a poll by the Philadelphia Inquirer showed Obama had a 8 to 1 margin in the city of brotherly love? Never pick a team with that kind of adoration for the DOTUS. I hope the Goliaths win 5,000 to 3.

PappyD61 on September 30, 2012 at 12:47 PM

How long does it take to post here?

PappyD61 on September 30, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Steelers 49 – Enemy 3

Even on a bye week the Steelers win.

Bishop on September 30, 2012 at 12:56 PM

OT: drudge linking the HA post on the univision fast and furious video…

excellent

cmsinaz on September 30, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I have no idea, but I do know that you guys come up with really cool names for your fake scandals.

crr6 on July 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Del Dolemonte on September 30, 2012 at 12:56 PM

posted picks (tried 3x).

I guess Holder doesn’t like my picks. :-(

PappyD61 on September 30, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Just shoot me now…

NotCoach on September 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM

GAAAHHHHHHDDD NOOOOOOO

Ugly on September 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM

ROOOOOOOOOFFFLLLLLL

Lions just gave up a 105 yard kick return to the Vikes.

Bishop on September 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

First play of the game.

Bishop on September 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Go Vikings!

Of course the defense may give it right back.

gophergirl on September 30, 2012 at 1:06 PM

And I was right.

gophergirl on September 30, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Is that a 60 yard penalty?

NotCoach on September 30, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Bishop on September 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM

>:(

I was already annoyed with Comcast (audio keeps dropping), and then this.

Ugly on September 30, 2012 at 1:08 PM

OK, Hanson kicks the field goal and the Lion’s awesome special team play gives up another TD? Stay in your sticken lanes morons! Cripes, I learned that playing football in the 5th grade.

NotCoach on September 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM

LOL! I guess giving up the field position is better than giving up the TD.

NotCoach on September 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I feel sick.

Ugly on September 30, 2012 at 1:15 PM

FINALLY! Some defense!

Ugly on September 30, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Well tried 4th time to post picks.

Still not showing up.

PappyD61 on September 30, 2012 at 1:19 PM

“Mossy Oak”?! What are the team at Dodge thinking? LOL

Ugly on September 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Just shoot me now…

NotCoach on September 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM

lol

(like your not used to it)

Tim_CA on September 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM

C’mon Stafford

Ugly on September 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Well tried 4th time to post picks.

Still not showing up.

PappyD61 on September 30, 2012 at 1:19 PM

You are using a word that is flagged by the filter and sending your posts to moderation. And being Sunday there may not be anyone checking moderated posts.

NotCoach on September 30, 2012 at 1:23 PM

OMG

Ugly on September 30, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I still think the Lions will win.

I also think blue is the color of tranquility.

Ugly on September 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Send him back to prison for mugging. Ugh.

NotCoach on September 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Send him back to prison for mugging. Ugh.

NotCoach on September 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Right? I had no idea he was/is a felon.

Ugly on September 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM