Are the debates going to matter?

posted at 5:01 pm on September 30, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

A continuing theme I’ve been hearing on the political gabfests on cable news this week is that not only are the current polling numbers sketchy at best, they don’t really matter all that much because… wait until the debates! That seems to be the expected pivot point in the home stretch of the race, and analysts from both sides are playing the expectations game and declaring how vital it will be for Romney to “make his mark” or for Obama to “avoid a game changing slip-up.” But assuming that one of them doesn’t come out at the podium and announce that they are either a serial killer or that they’ve discovered a cure for cancer, (with proof) will the debates really move the needle for either of them?

Miranda Green thinks not.

A 2008 Gallup study found that between 1960 and 2004, there were only two years where debates made a difference in actual votes. Instead, the most common outcome of the presidential debates is a slight popularity bump. But that bump doesn’t necessarily translate into votes.

“They sometimes have a short-term effect, a bounce in response to the debates, but at the end of the day there often is not much of an effect,” says Robert Erikson, author of The Timeline of Presidential Elections.

Data from the Gallup study also saw no direct correlation between the winner of each debate and the winner of the presidency. The 2004 Kerry vs. Bush debate was cited as an example. Kerry was considered the victor of all three showdowns, but still lost the election.

Not to read too much into Ms. Green’s personal preferences here, but it seems to me that those who feel their preferred candidate is ahead (rightly or wrongly) might be more inclined to think the debates won’t matter. But even with that said, it seems to me as if there is still a strong possibility that these shows may not produce much in the way of heat. If the candidates have been coached to play it too safe to avoid any potential damage, we may be treated to nothing more than stilted reruns of portions of their stump speeches in response to questions.

But if either of them – perhaps more likely for Romney – feel like they need a breakout moment, they might take a more aggressive tack. There are already rumors flying about Mitt preparing some “zingers” for the President, leading to much amusement on Twitter over the weekend. That can go two ways, of course. If the delivery is off or it’s perceived as more mean than funny, off the mark, etc. then it could turn into a campaign advertisement which won’t help matters at all. But if he delivers something that comes off along the lines of, “I knew Jack Kennedy, and you, Senator, are no Jack Kennedy” then I still think the debates could light a fire at just the right time.

Will anyone be watching? This chart shows how TV audiences generally declined by media share for a quarter of a century after hitting a high water mark for Reagan vs Carter. But that trend turned around in 2008 with significant increases in viewership for Obama vs McCain, and the Republican primary debates scored well above expected levels. I continue to maintain my belief that summer numbers reflect mostly the “preaching to the choir” crowds, and there will always be a significant number of people who don’t watch news channels 24/7 and are yet open to seeing something unexpected which changes or makes up their mind in the final weeks.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Yep

gophergirl on September 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM

They will to me.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

President Ford lost when he didn’t know Poland was under communist control and Jimmy Carter was elected. Reagan spanked Carter over and over with “there you go again”. Michael Dukakis answered a question about the death penalty and the murder of his wife like he was talking golf scores, and was apologizing for it the night before the election looking like he hadn’t been to sleep in days.

Yeah, they so don’t matter.

Marcus on September 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM

maybe obama will be faced with his own failure for once. SEeing him fall on his face will be oh so grand.

ted c on September 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM

They won’t change my vote, but I think it will be important for the undecideds.

stefanite on September 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM

They will to me.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Considering you’re about the least mainstream person in world history suggests if something matters to you, it won’t to others.

libfreeordie on September 30, 2012 at 5:09 PM

…with the attention span of most Americans…they will…my fear is knowing that…the government media will be doing all they can to trip up Romney and accommodate JugEars.

KOOLAID2 on September 30, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I think these debates could be very important if Mitt Romney really takes advantage of this opportunity to go around the MSM and talk directly to Americans.

Mark1971 on September 30, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Its 1980 all over again… Romney needs to channel his inner-Reagan for all its worth…

Khun Joe on September 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM

A Daily Beast writer as source? Really?

AZfederalist on September 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM

if something matters to you, it won’t to others.

libfreeordie on September 30, 2012 at 5:09 PM

…excellent self-assessment there turdfreeforlife!

KOOLAID2 on September 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I don’t think that zingers or blunders will matter much. What I do think will matter is Mitt being able to introduce himself to the population that may have just started to take interest in the national election. Mitt should concentrate more on that than pummeling Obama, though I’d enjoy that too. Unfortunately, the conservative critics will say he’s soft if he doesn’t go hard against Obama.

MrX on September 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM

The debates will define the race.

Wonder if the liberal media running the debates has already slipped Obama the questions they will be asking?

albill on September 30, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Read My Lips, Cut Cap and Balance would open my checkbook and get my shoes worn a little bit more out than they otherwise would be.

I would much rather Mitt win on substantial policy than on simple hatred of Obama. Elections are mostly read as mandates for the politicians’ policies. If Mitt wins with no policies, there will be no mandate, but he will push what ever policies he wants as if they are mandates from the electorate and likely turn them off. Goals of 23 million workers is great, but if we hit recession in 2013 as the economy indicates and he follows up with a stimuless bill proposal, he will far more likely than not cause huge amounts of damage to himself and unfortunately that will spill over against Republicans in congress in the 2014 elections.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:13 PM

…excellent self-assessment there turdfreeforlife!

KOOLAID2 on September 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I take it you ain’t overly fond of libdie, huh?

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I have this suspicion that Obama isn’t really that into us any more, and the thought of playing golf every day in Hawaii may be causing a battle in his sub-conscience. If that is true, the debates could be very interesting, if only the media would let him eat his waffle.

TedInATL on September 30, 2012 at 5:14 PM

It’s hard for Mitt to win when he offers no specifics. He’s vague, Obama’s vague, Obama keeps on running out the clock to a win. I am sure Mitt has some prepared zingers ready to go. He’s not exactly known for his comedic timing, so let’s hope they are not cringe-worthy SNL fodder.

ZippyZ on September 30, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Not to me, since I already know how I’m voting.

What it’s really going to come down to (as far as the debates go) is which Romney shows up; Death Star Romney or Prevent Defense Romney.

Left Coast Right Mind on September 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM

…excellent self-assessment there turdfreeforlife!

KOOLAID2 on September 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I take it you ain’t overly fond of libdie, huh?

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Personally, I do not like the personal attacks on either side. He did not offend me. I think I am immune to being offended. He is right, I am not a typical voter and my views are way outside the mainstream.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Not to me. Although my mind has been made up for years(over 4),I will watch the debates and pray that zero leaves immediately for Hawaii.

dragondrop on September 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Promises ain’t gonna get me to do much.

Actions would, but he ain’t President yet. And working with ‘rats in overly ‘rattified Mass don’t count.

However, he has my vote.

And I put a sticker on my car.

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Ask Rick Perry…Ooooops.

Yes, they do matter. imo.
I pay attention everyday- most I know do not.
They know who barry is but not this Romney character cept
the attack ad’s. They will be tuning in.

My Brother in law for example-
would be one. An undecided indy.

bazil9 on September 30, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I am not a typical voter and my views are way outside the mainstream.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Number one, I am prolly the only one here who does like libdie.

Number two, he believes he is the mainstream from his insular world.

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Debates can reinforce, or shatter unspoken doubts about a candidate so they can make a difference. Dukakis and the question about his wife is an example of reinforcing doubts about a candidate. Most of the time however, they don’t make a large difference.

I am just not sure how Romney or Obama aggressively goes after the other guy given their respective records.

sharrukin on September 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM

They never matter to me, but they always seem to matter to everyone else, so I am no judge.

txmomof6 on September 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Easy on the zingers, people. Aside from the dead-pan groan they usually cause, the electorate isn’t in the mood. Neither side wants a slogan; both want a revolution. So pretend you are going to give them one, and keep it from sounding scary.

Axe on September 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM

However, he has my vote.

And I put a sticker on my car.

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Your brave. I am sure my car would be vandalized if I left my car parked in my drive way with one.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I really think that since this will be the first time in a VERY long time that the public will actually watch O standing next to an actual leader, the debates will matter.
Even with spoon-fed, O-leaning questions, I anticipate that Preezy will come across small, weak, repetitive, etc.
That might just get a few folks out there HOPING he’ll clobber Mitt with his pure brilliance to think twice.
Perhaps he’ll even lie so blatantly that the audience will be caught rolling their eyes, and feel he has to go.
Mitt will do well, methinks, regardless of reports to the contrary (most likely already written).
My 2c.

pambi on September 30, 2012 at 5:21 PM

And I put a sticker on my car.

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM

After 08 and some real nice damage to my car
by a lib thug
I dont do stickers anymore.
The deviants on the left
love to destroy your property.
Compare and contrast libs and cons.

bazil9 on September 30, 2012 at 5:21 PM

The debates will matter to the media only if Romney has a Rick Perry moment.

Becasue Romney is going to handle Obama quite well. That happens and it will be tossed into the memory hole by the media very fast.

Moesart on September 30, 2012 at 5:21 PM

After 08 and some real nice damage to my car
by a lib thug
I dont do stickers anymore.
The deviants on the left
love to destroy your property.
Compare and contrast libs and cons.

bazil9 on September 30, 2012 at 5:21 PM

And they only dare do it when you are not around. Cowards.

VegasRick on September 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Moesart on September 30, 2012 at 5:21 PM

My oldest son (first time voter) will be watching. I’m glad.

VegasRick on September 30, 2012 at 5:24 PM

They will matter to a share of those undecideds who manage to watch the debates. That’s all.

lester on September 30, 2012 at 5:24 PM

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:20 PM

The Sheriff’s sticker in conjunction with the NRA sticker (of which I am no longer a member), plus the fact it is a truck somehow deter people from any worse stupidity than leaving a beer bottle or two in the bed.

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:24 PM

libfreeordie on September 30, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Viewing mainstream as majority, the mainstream voter has already made up their mind. Right now, Mitt and Barry are scrapping for the undecided voters.

MeatHeadinCA on September 30, 2012 at 5:25 PM

That’s all.

lester on September 30, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Heh. I wish that was all.

Now, go do that Space Needle thing.

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:25 PM

lester on September 30, 2012 at 5:24 PM

That’s all? Isn’t that what this election is pretty much boiling down to?

MeatHeadinCA on September 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Pssst .. Paste R&R stickers OVER any Preezy stickers, so the LIB gets keyed … Buuwahaha.
Me bad.

pambi on September 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:24 PM

They still slashed my tires with a flood light and camera pointed at it because I finally told them I was no longer giving them cash when they came by begging. Even though it was clear who it was in the video, the police refused to do anything about it.

So, I just keep the flag and troops ribbon magnetic on my car.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:27 PM

…1)Personally, I do not like the personal attacks on either side…2) He did not offend me. I think I am immune to being offended…. 3)He is right, I am not a typical voter and my views are way outside the mainstream.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM

1…you must not realize how you are in some of your own posts
2…yeah, well…we’re all aware of that!
3…you’re not “way” outside of the mainstream…you just get untypically… anal about them!

KOOLAID2 on September 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM

After 08 and some real nice damage to my car
by a lib thug
I dont do stickers anymore.
The deviants on the left
love to destroy your property.
Compare and contrast libs and cons.

bazil9 on September 30, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Yep, a bunch of bullies. We just saw one with a can of spray paint.

MeatHeadinCA on September 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Unless Gary Johnson is in the debates I will be boycotting them. These will be the first so-called “presidential debates” in decades that I haven’t watched at least twice. I’m boycotting the sponsors of these crooked, rigged debates as well.

FloatingRock on September 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:27 PM

When WHO came begging? lester & the boys?

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Of course they don’t matter. Americans have decided to exchange freedom for the theft and slavery of socialism.

CrustyB on September 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

FloatingRock on September 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Vote with your money.

MeatHeadinCA on September 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM

FloatingRock on September 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Ok.

pambi on September 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I’m voting for a man who was successful in business, as a Governor, donated millions to charity, has a record open to the public and has faith in God. That will be Mitt, who are you voting for?

mixplix on September 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM

FloatingRock on September 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I agree. Unless Lyndon Johnson is in the debates, I’m with you.

I’ll come here and read about it in the funny papers. Thank you, retro TV!

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:31 PM

bazil9 on September 30, 2012 at 5:21 PM

And they only dare do it when you are not around. Cowards.

VegasRick on September 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM

But of course.
I was at work.
Of course he/she /it
had time to roam around and destroy
property.

In 08- on the news…one car in the Tampa area had swastika’s sprayed on it-cig butts put out on it
and was used as a toilet.
Barry’s puppets.
We also had every damn yard sign in this county stolen from yards in the night..over and over. This is who we are “playing” with.
I hope people have long memories as the days go by.

bazil9 on September 30, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Any advantage Romney can gain from the debates will be minimized by the so much in the tank the talking heads and pundits. The outcome ultimately depends on whether American voters will continue to be willfully blind or stupid, and on GOTV.

bayview on September 30, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Unless Gary Johnson is in the debates I will be boycotting them.

LOL. Unless I missed it, he’s not going to be there.

Marcus on September 30, 2012 at 5:33 PM

1…you must not realize how you are in some of your own posts
2…yeah, well…we’re all aware of that!

KOOLAID2 on September 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I retaliate on personal attacks. I do not initiate them. Once the other side chooses to not have a civil discourse, I am no longer obligated to be civil with them.

The reason I am anal about them is because they are true, and ignoring them for 24 years has brought us to the point that Obama is actually a LEGITIMATE candidate for the presidency, as indicated by his victory in 2008. If that is not enough to wake people up to the fact that the socialist welfare state needs to be torn down COMPLETELY, then the nation is lost. Then the only pertinent question becomes, who should be the ones who suffer for the destruction. Future generations or the one closest to being the cause?

So it angers me to no end that those I saw as allies are more in the mood to kick the can than face the beast.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Yep, a bunch of bullies. We just saw one with a can of spray paint.

MeatHeadinCA on September 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Pleasure to “see” you. And yes..bullies is to kind
..thugs with the morals of a maggot.

Floating rock is boycotting the debates? Well hell,
I am so stunned I just almost fell outta my chair.
Shocking. Never would have guessed it.

bazil9 on September 30, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Ya’ll might be in for a surprise on Wednesday. Just sayin.

dragondrop on September 30, 2012 at 5:36 PM

When WHO came begging? lester & the boys?

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Neighborhood unemployed welfare junkies. I think I have stated before that my neighborhood is progressive in a 90%+ way.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM

FloatingRock on September 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I’m watching to see what Mario Huntsman has to say!

VegasRick on September 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Ya’ll might be in for a surprise on Wednesday. Just sayin.

dragondrop on September 30, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Too true.

America’s et up with stupid. All by design.

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM

They keep showing Lloyd Benson punking Dan Quayle with his “You’re no Jack Kennedy” line, yet Quayles ticket won. So, I’m not so sure it matters. Besides the media will grasp on to some minor Romney gaffe and amplify it while ignoring Øs. I think the fix is in.

Red Creek on September 30, 2012 at 5:38 PM

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM

So, it was lester & the boys.

Not to worry. I’m in a Rethuglican neighborhood.

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:38 PM

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I can’t say that I’ve heard Mitt say specifically “cut, cap and balance” in those exact words, but I HAVE heard him in stump speeches talking about capping and cutting federal spending, in order to get to a balanced budget.

I think one problem here, is that NEITHER candidate has gotten too specific (although Romney has more than Obama) on the campaign trail because…that’s how it ALWAYS has been. Stump speeches aren’t exactly FOR specifics. That’s what the debates are for. Like today, listening to CNN grill Axelrod (which I thought was a GREAT interview). The Axe stayed as FAR away from specifics as he could, and I think you could tell he was getting annoyed by the interviewer when he said something to the likes of “you may want the other guy to win, but…” And he said this to an MSM interviewer! Of course, the Romney supporter didn’t get too specific either, but that really is par for the course.

However, we HAVE heard some specifics…such as Romney wanting to cut income tax by 20% across the board. What people (MSM) want to KNOW from Romney, though, is what deductions/loopholes he wants to close in the tax code to make things more balanced. The REASON I believe they want to know this, is so they can blast him with it, scorn what he wants to do, and hammer him in the public eye. So Mitt CAN’T be very specific about it, as much as I think he WANTS to be…because he knows that whatever specifics he gives will be turned against him. He is fighting a machine, and he knows it. I think he is waiting for the debates.

Which brings me to answering the topic here: yes, I think the debates CAN matter. Not necessarily to partisans such as ourselves. We already know who we WANT to win…and we’ll most likely see the debates as wins for Romney…while libs will see them as wins for Obama. What is crucial is Romney getting his voice out to the millions of undecideds out there, that are floating between the two parties. Rasmussen today has the race still pretty much tied, especially with “very likely voters”. Romney is at 43% with “very likely voters” and Obama is at 42% with the same group voting for him. And that leave a whopping 15% of the electorate that are really floating somewhere in the middle…maybe leaning one way or the other…maybe decided on one candidate, but open to suggestion to voting for the other. These are who Romney needs to reach out to at the debates, as they will be the ONLY times he can truly get around the MSM machine to speak his message directly to the people. “Zingers” won’t really do it. They may help make him look a bit more “human” but he needs more than that. He needs the specifics, at least somewhat, to be passed to that 15% in the debates, where the MSM doesn’t have time to spin it one way or another before the 15% hears about it. And yes, that can be a game changer in this election if Romney can do it right.

Highlar on September 30, 2012 at 5:38 PM

If you’re seeing stories like this, it means the left, via their leg-humping media lapdogs, are engaging in what they do best.

The soft bigotry of low expectations.

CurtZHP on September 30, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Floating rock is boycotting the debates? Well hell,
I am so stunned I just almost fell outta my chair.
Shocking. Never would have guessed it.

bazil9 on September 30, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Honestly, I don’t know if I’ll be tuning into the debates – hey, my mind’s made up.

Get the Holy Water to purify me, though, when I do vote for Romney – gah!!!

MeatHeadinCA on September 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM

That’s all? Isn’t that what this election is pretty much boiling down to?

MeatHeadinCA on September 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Election is about all the voters, including undecideds. Some of the undecideds will watch the debates and of those, some will make their mind, some won’t.

Conclusion:

lester on September 30, 2012 at 5:24 PM

lester on September 30, 2012 at 5:41 PM

The debates will matter because the American people, primarily seniors, will finally see Romney the man and Romney the potential president absent the BS, lies and disortion from the MSM.

Seniors disproportionately vote, and they will also disproportionately watch the debate.

Romney has been prepping for weeks to connect w the American people in a more common man approach.

matthew8787 on September 30, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Not to the Obamaphone populace. Sadly, more and more of the electorate are some version of the woman from the infamous Obamaphone video, i.e, degenerated morons. Less than 50% of Los Angeles Unified School District students graduate from high school.

We are regressing as a nation intellectually, scholastically, and in terms of national character and it seems to be accelerating. I try, ordinarily, to not be overly pessimistic but the cultural Marxist crowd has won victory after victory, politically and culturally, at a pace that’s rapidly increased over the last 20 years.

Are the soft socialist “Obama gimme money” crowd going to be swayed to Romney’s side by the debates? Doubtful. Will the minority of halfway intelligent independents be won over to Romney? Maybe. The problem is that there are hardly any intelligent independents anymore while the slobbering moron vote has increased exponentially.

Look at Ohio. Huge unemployment and economic stagnation for years, including the last four, and yet Obama leads or is at least tied in the polls. California’s unemployment rate is 10.6% and that’s the best it’s been in years and yet Obama will win California by a wide margin. We’re a Moron Nation now.

Django on September 30, 2012 at 5:41 PM

lester on September 30, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Let’s remember on November 7th, if Barry Obama doesn’t win, it probably was because the undecideds swung to Romney – that’s all.

MeatHeadinCA on September 30, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I won’t be watching the debates.

Maybe Ryan/BiteMe.

Just like I didn’t watch obama/McLame. I did watch Palin.

Which brings me to a funny story: A buddy of mine and I went to the St. Andrews Tavern to watch the third and final debate between Owlgore and my buddy, W.

There was a pile of limeys in there watching world cup soccer. They refused to let us change the channel.

Anyhoo, after all the extra time and penalties were added on, do you know what the final score of that lame sport’s particular game was?

NOTHING – NOTHING!

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Me bad.

pambi on September 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM

hahaha…u is bad.

bazil9 on September 30, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Highlar on September 30, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Specifics are a high risk/high reward problem for candidates. Then again, Contract with America and the Tea party backing were pretty darned specific and did pretty well. Have to gauge the people and decide what specifics are worthy of bringing forward to them.

One of the reasons I moved to more neutral on Romney and leaning towards a protest vote on Obama is that I found he signed the cut, cap and balance pledge from DeMint a few weeks back. My neutral is not normal people’s apparently. I am hoping in the debates he reaffirms this pledge. That is where I got the words from.

But, if he does reaffirm it, I can move to a vote FOR, feel much happier, open my check book, or more likely one of my unused credit cards, and possibly go visit some neighbors.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Get the Holy Water to purify me, though, when I do vote for Romney – gah!!!

MeatHeadinCA on September 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I will hose you down with the golden nectar of conservatism.

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:45 PM

The economy is a mess and Obama’s foreign policy is in disarray. The effect of Benghazi-gate is yet to be felt.
Mitt need only show up and be himself: Presidential.

Basilsbest on September 30, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I will hose you down with the golden nectar of conservatism.

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Yeah, go piss off

:P

MeatHeadinCA on September 30, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Get the Holy Water to purify me, though, when I do vote for Romney – gah!!!

MeatHeadinCA on September 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM

lol..I got over that a while ago. Had to with McCain..but Palin helped. :)

bazil9 on September 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I already know how I’m going to vote…..ABO! The debates will just be another chance to blog, laugh, eat alot of popcorn and still get rid of the O…..I don’t think it’s going to matter how the debates go. The MSM/libs/progs/et al will still say that Obama slammed Romney with his good looks, quick wit, extremely awesome oratory skills, blah blah blah. But, I look forward to them anyway. :)

sicoit on September 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM

The Romney campaign in its infinite ineptitude has made it clear that the debates are going to be a game changer. Thus, anything less than a decisive “win” by Romney will be a loss.

Are the debates going to matter? Probably more than the Romney campaign will have wanted them to, in retrospect.

urban elitist on September 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM

the police refused to do anything about it.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:27 PM

So, malfeasance is no issue to the police in your area then? Not sure how far you’d want to push it, but a lawyer might be able to remind the police that although they are not required to provide protection to a specific person, they are required to enforce the law and investigate crimes.

AZfederalist on September 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM

but Palin helped. :)

bazil9 on September 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM

She was the only thing that did.

I originally was gonna abstain. And Romney doesn’t disgust me. McLame does.

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:49 PM

No matter what, most of the media will proclaim that Obama won.

I have a real feeling that Romney will only half-heartedly call out Obama on his b.s. That frightens me.

Chubbs65 on September 30, 2012 at 5:50 PM

OT: Bill Whittle goes off on Afterburner this week:

John the Libertarian on September 30, 2012 at 5:50 PM

urban elitist on September 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM

H -

Sorry Del.

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:50 PM

bazil9 on September 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM

She was the only thing that did.

I originally was gonna abstain. And Romney doesn’t disgust me. McLame does.

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:49 PM

My exact sentiments Lance.

bazil9 on September 30, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Nobody knows including those on this blog. However, if Romney again tells us Obama is a nice man he will be finished.

rplat on September 30, 2012 at 5:52 PM

lol..I got over that a while ago. Had to with McCain..but Palin helped. :)

bazil9 on September 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Obama’s helping me out this round.

MeatHeadinCA on September 30, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Oh look! More pointless defeatism from Jazz Shaw.

cicerone on September 30, 2012 at 5:53 PM

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I can understand this. And like I said, I have heard him stress those same sentiments in some of the stump speeches I’ve heard him give. I think he IS behind capping federal spending, as both he and Ryan have said in speeches before. They’ve talked about capping federal spending at or under 20%, I think it is. And then cutting federal spending from there to get it to 18%, which would even better is what I think I’ve heard Ryan say. I think he just needs to reaffirm that for you at the debate, and as this one is on domestic policy, I hope he does!

Highlar on September 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM

AZfederalist on September 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Tried that in Utah when an aggressive driver rear ended me and then proceeded to run. I followed him and called the cops. The cops came by and told me that I could go to jail for stalking and they would then write him up for a citation or I could just go away like nothing happened. I went to the police station and complained, they said they did not get my call and no cop was dispatched at all. I hired a lawyer and sure enough, they had destroyed all documentary evidence that they ever sent a cop, nothing was given in evidentiary. Either that or the guy who was one of their friends had already called them the same time I did and the coverup started there.

I do not seem to have good luck with cops.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM

if Romney again tells us Obama is a nice man he will be finished.

rplat on September 30, 2012 at 5:52 PM

That would be the kicker.

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM

FloatingRock on September 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM

pambi on September 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM

When children are interrupting the adults, it’s usually not a good idea to pay attention. Especially when they are saying the same thing they told you about 2 weeks ago, 2 days ago, 2 hours ago, and 2 minutes ago. Makes them think they can get away with it.

AZfederalist on September 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM

bazil9 on September 30, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Obama’s helping me out this round.

MeatHeadinCA on September 30, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Yes- he is who I focus on..it even stopped my gag reflex when I see Romney. Same with McCain..cept I still needed a bucket in the booth.

bazil9 on September 30, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I do not seem to have good luck with cops.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Ouch.

AZfederalist on September 30, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Oh look! More pointless defeatism from Jazz Shaw.

cicerone on September 30, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I would prefer Robert Shaw.

At least he could act like a conservative.

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:56 PM

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Years ago, I moved from DC to a strongly conservative spot in the mountains where I don’t need to worry about crap like that.

But if I still lived in DC, I think I’d put on that bumper sticker, and then keep a security camera on it. Turning in a few progressive vandals to the police would warm my cold little conservative heart.

petefrt on September 30, 2012 at 5:57 PM

They don’t matter to me because all I care about is getting that despicable liar out of the White House. We have a candidate who has a chance to do that and one who isn’t capable of doing any worse than what this president has done…I don’t know that anyone could do any worse. So that’s who I’m going to vote for no matter what, and I hope he wins.

scalleywag on September 30, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I’m in the camp that believes that when conservative values are presented clearly, they always win out.
Have been encouraged by both R’s saying that their objectives in the debates will be to make the choices as clear as they possibly can.
If they are specific enough, in close-contact comparison, methinks it’ll be good for our side.
Ryan’s warning this morning was interesting … he says Biden’s heaviest weapon is CONFUSION.
That Joe CAN do well in debates, but most often the voter comes away more confused about BOTH positions than when it all started …. LOL.
One big reason Ryan’s job will be to CLEARLY state the choices available, and not get off into weeds.
I have a lot of confidence in how they’ll do.

pambi on September 30, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Obama’s helping me out this round.

MeatHeadinCA on September 30, 2012 at 5:52 PM

1.4 billion rounds, enough for 4.5 rounds per man woman and child in the nation, of hollow point ammo that cannot be used against enemy troops being bought by homeland security helps me more than just about any of it.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Obama: Uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, oh oh oh, I I I ….

You like that sound? Good. Because that’s what it sounds like when I screw you, America. And you KNOW you want 4 more years of it, dontcha? Well? Dontcha?

Key West Reader on September 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Turning in a few progressive vandals to the police Beating some knuckleheads with a baseball bat would warm my cold little conservative heart.

petefrt on September 30, 2012 at 5:57 PM

FIFM

Lanceman on September 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM

ted c on September 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I’m sure I’m way off base, but a part of me expects “something” to happen prior to Wednesday night, and Obama will have to, (with great gravity and false concern) cancel, to attend to his Presidentin’.

(I know- first time ever, right?)

BettyRuth on September 30, 2012 at 6:00 PM

petefrt on September 30, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I did the camera thing… Read down and see the results.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 6:00 PM