The obligatory Iran Fooled by The Onion story

posted at 1:01 pm on September 29, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Good news for FARS, the quasi-official state run media organization in Iran, came this week in the form of an article in the American news cycle which they could really sink their teeth into.

“Gallup Poll: Rural Whites Prefer Ahmadinejad to Obama” reads the article by Iran’s Fars news agency.

Now, the first thing that crossed my mind when I read that headline was, if we ran that same poll here at Hot Air, the results might not come out that differently. Sadly for FARS, as you probably know already, the article was from The Onion.

CHARLESTON, WV—According to the results of a Gallup poll released Monday, the overwhelming majority of rural white Americans said they would rather vote for Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad than U.S. president Barack Obama. “I like him better,” said West Virginia resident Dale Swiderski, who, along with 77 percent of rural Caucasian voters, confirmed he would much rather go to a baseball game or have a beer with Ahmadinejad, a man who has repeatedly denied the Holocaust and has had numerous political prisoners executed, than spend time with Obama. “He takes national defense seriously, and he’d never let some gay protesters tell him how to run his country like Obama does.”

I suppose we shouldn’t laugh all that hard at FARS, though. With a hat tip to Doug Mataconis, we find that a site already exists which tracks all of the people and organizations which have been duped in this fashion. Called, Literally Unbelievable, they provide a humorous look at how America’s Finest News Source interacts with reality, nearly always in hilarious fashion. Check it out.

Comments

A story gone to Fars

NOMOBO on September 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Oh my! My very first Bishop!

NOMOBO on September 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Hey, all we have to do is get the Iranians to riot over it, and maybe 0 will ban The Onion…

JohnGalt23 on September 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Hey Ed, come drag jerk Jazz away, will ya?. He’s out of sync with us. OK satire, ha..ha..take it different ways…i take it as a way to belittle white country folks and right now it’s just not funny and neither is Jazz.

gracie on September 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I other news, Jazz fooled by MSNBC.

the_nile on September 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I suppose we shouldn’t laugh all that hard at FARS, though

You suppose incorrectly.

God, that Onion piece is funny!

Liam on September 29, 2012 at 1:13 PM

The truth is, of course, that ‘rural whites’ are smart enough to know that there is absolutely no difference between these two dictators – both are sworn enemies of the United States and Israel and both MUST BE removed from power before it is too late.

Pork-Chop on September 29, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Jazz,

Could you expand on that comment?

Thanks

Cody1991 on September 29, 2012 at 1:14 PM

FARS went farcical, in Farsi.

Schadenfreude on September 29, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Well at least if Ahmadinejad lived in this country he wouldn’t be a White Sox fan.

radjah shelduck on September 29, 2012 at 1:14 PM

On very serious note MSNBC and the majority of the US media do this several times a day.

It’s a surreal USA and Goebbels laughs his dead azz off, several times a day.

Schadenfreude on September 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Could you expand on that comment?

Thanks

Cody1991 on September 29, 2012 at 1:14 PM

This s/b interesting.

Schadenfreude on September 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM

This s/b interesting.

Schadenfreude on September 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Indeed

Cody1991 on September 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM

One day, The Onion will have a high profile location in the Smithsonian.

Those dudes are just brilliant.

BobMbx on September 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM

For more on this story: Please visit our Iranian subsidiary organization, Fars

— The Onion

Schadenfreude on September 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Well…..run the poll!

BobMbx on September 29, 2012 at 1:20 PM

The way the MSM are, I’m tempted to make The Onion my primary news source. I mean, after all, look at how many liberals consider Comedy Central’s Daily Show an actual news show.

Liam on September 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Well…..run the poll!

BobMbx on September 29, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I second that. Run the poll!

Liam on September 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Could you expand on that comment?

Thanks

Cody1991 on September 29, 2012 at 1:14

Not that I agree with Jazz (almost never), but if given the choice between Aquavelvajad and Obutthead, I would simply not vote. Really, is one any better or worse than the other? Both seem to want to destroy America.

NOMOBO on September 29, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Jazz,

Could you expand on that comment?

Thanks

Cody1991 on September 29, 2012 at 1:14 PM

He means ODS can overpower A’jad hate, which is basically the point the Onion article is trying to make in a sarcastic and exaggerated manner.

You’re welcome.

lester on September 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM

You’re welcome.

lester on September 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Any by “he means”, I mean that’s what I think he means. I don’t read minds.

lester on September 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM

From the essay, this would be the deciding factor for me: “…According to the same Gallup poll, 60 percent of rural whites said they at least respected that Ahmadinejad doesn’t try to hide the fact that he’s Muslim.”

Just think of the added comedy here and a ‘story’ in the MSM if they catch wind of it: “Conservative racist haters prefer Iranian president over THE president of the United States”.

Liam on September 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM

lester on September 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM

go sit in the corner and lick your a s s with the other currs.

Rio Linda Refugee on September 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Any by “he means”, I mean that’s what I think he means. I don’t read minds.

lester on September 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I could care less what you think.

Waiting for Jazz.

Cody1991 on September 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Well…..run the poll!

BobMbx on September 29, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I second that. Run the poll!

Liam on September 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

…gawd no!…think of gummeandpokeme !

KOOLAID2 on September 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM

… I don’t read minds.

lester on September 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM

…can’t read one when you don’t have one!

KOOLAID2 on September 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

…gawd no!…think of gummeandpokeme !

KOOLAID2 on September 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I really rather not. But it would be interesting to see liberal heads fly apart at the results.

Liam on September 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Could you expand on that comment?

Thanks

Cody1991 on September 29, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Should be telling, if he does it. But he won’t.

In all fairness though, I don’t know whether Obama or Ahmateenywad bears more animosity towards America or whom I despise more than the other, but I do know which one I respect more than the other.

Harbingeing on September 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Any by “he means”, I mean that’s what I think he means. I don’t read minds.

lester on September 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Fixed. From the content of your posts, I knew that you couldn’t think, but thanks for letting us know that you can’t read either.

NOMOBO on September 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I could care less what you think.

Waiting for Jazz.

Cody1991 on September 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM

So you still care a little, right?

lester on September 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

FARTS

faraway on September 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I see little difference between this and the mainstream media in America. Everyday.

pat on September 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM

blink on September 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I say to put that to the test, if only for the comedy of the trolls here freaking out if Obama loses the poll. The libs will almost surely take it seriously, while the rest of us get to vent a little. Hell! We might even get mention at MSNBC–a crew that will almost as surely take it seriously.

I see no harm in fracking with liberal heads. But that’s just me.

Liam on September 29, 2012 at 1:51 PM

blink on September 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Meh, they are both traitors to liberty, freedom and all things truly liberal and progressive, in different ways.

I hate them both, for different reasons and it’s factual, not ODS or such. I can list 1001 reasons why to hate either, if you are a free-thinking person.

Jazz should explain himself. He owes it to the readership to show his ‘steel’, for his claim.

Schadenfreude on September 29, 2012 at 1:51 PM

According to what he wrote, there’s actually no upward limit on how much he cares so I’m not sure why you would claim that he only cares a little.

blink on September 29, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I could couldn’t care less what you think.

Waiting for Jazz.

Cody1991 on September 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Fixed it for you, good Cody.

Schadenfreude on September 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I’m quite sure Jazz was kidding, but a traitor is often disliked more than the enemy. Some people view Obama as a traitor because of his radical socialist agenda. That being said, there’s no way that Obama would receive fewer votes than A’jad in an opinion poll on Hot Air.

blink on September 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Obama’s no traitor; he’s always believed in his socialist agenda. To be a traitor you had to have been for the side you’ve turned against. Now if Bammer had suddenly had an epiphany and turned into a free market capitalist, then he would be a traitor to his socialist masters.

And yes, I meant to say “masters.”

john1schn on September 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM

john1schn on September 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM

True. Obama is very successful in implementing his Utopian idiocies, for his own global pontification. He fancies himself a global god, omnipoten and omnipresent. He is of corse neither. He’s an eunuch with an oversized ego.

He fools his slaves and he deceives and exploits the producers. May all who fall for it suffer great travesties.

Schadenfreude on September 29, 2012 at 1:56 PM

blink on September 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I’ll give you credit. Now I know what you get when you cross a strawman with a squirrel.

faraway on September 29, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Fixed it for you, good Cody.

Schadenfreude on September 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM

What I said was actually a phrase used around here (and in NYC with a derisive tone). And it means that one couldn’t care less.

Libs love nuance although they never get it.

Thanks, Schad. The big mistake is breaking the rule of never responding to trolls and idiots.

Cody1991 on September 29, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Doesn’t surprise me…nope not at all

“Every single one of the following photos is taken directly from the official, authorized Obama for America reelection campaign website and Facebook pages. These are the pictures that team Obama hand-picked…”

workingclass artist on September 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Moron politician from Chicago > Genocidal dictator.

I know Jazz was joking but what a way to insult your readers.

joekenha on September 29, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Wake the f*** up

Schadenfreude on September 29, 2012 at 2:03 PM

The big mistake is breaking the rule of never responding to trolls and idiots.

Cody1991 on September 29, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Heh, it’s better than drinking or taking dope.

Schadenfreude on September 29, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Hot Air is the leading conservative blog for breaking news and commentary covering the Republican primary, the 2012 election, politics, media, and culture.

Ha! Ha! Riiiight.

Hot Air is the soft and squishy conservative blog for old news and inane apologist commentary covering the faux pas’ of talking-head Liberals and RINO’s on MSNBC, the 2016 [or possibly even the 2020] election because we’re convinced 2012 is already a forgone conclusion, stale politics from last week, movie reviews, and for cultureless rubes who — if polled — would most likely agree that a maniacal blood-thirsty savage hell bent on nuking the entire country of Israel into a glass parking lot and rendering the human species extinct in an all out conflagration of nuclear warheads all in the name of Islam and the the 12th Imam is preferable to a SCOAMF for President.

A little long for a footer but I fixed that for ya, HotGas. A slightly smaller font size should do the trick.

FlatFoot on September 29, 2012 at 2:19 PM

What Iran needs is a Henny Youngman Yachmood!

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on September 29, 2012 at 2:21 PM

So this is how a “moderate” like Jazz sees his conservative readership?

I’m personally insulted that a “conservative” site would employ a guttersnipe like Jazz Shaw.

Raquel Pinkbullet on September 29, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Once again proving, “There is no humor in the Islamic World!” No wonder they live in a state of perpetual outrage. Well, I guess that when you live with that much Hate, Anger and a Victimized World View, it must be hard to be anything but bitter. That must also explain all the hardcore libs!

Update for those following,How to deal with the Obama Enemy media:http://paratisiusa.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-open-letter-to-those-who-should-know.html?spref=tw

God Bless America!

paratisi on September 29, 2012 at 2:25 PM

ahh, the onion!

nathor on September 29, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on September 29, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Here’s what I find insulting:

The antipathy of many who consider themselves to be “conservative” toward large swathes of the party is never ending.

Here’s a blast from the past:

Memo to Governor Palin: Stay in Alaska
November 7, 2008 – 12:00 am by Jazz Shaw

To my mind this isn’t about Palin or any other politician. It’s indicative of the attitude of superiority and contempt which many so-called conservatives harbor and are more than willing to express.

In short, it’s a form of bigotry.

Cody1991 on September 29, 2012 at 2:46 PM

workingclass artist on September 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM

AVG blocked your link as a threat, just now.

Solaratov on September 29, 2012 at 3:02 PM

The people at The Onion, although occasionally funny, are raging Obama-supporter Lefty tools. This is their way of insulting those that they perceive as the base of the Republican party. That Iranians don’t get the ‘joke’ is merely happy coincidence.

M240H on September 29, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Maybe Jazz was joking? But then some posters have already tried to prove him right. It’s hard to tell who is being serious in this thread. I would pick Zero over DJ any day of the week and twice on Sundays, for a long list of reasons. Seriously. It should go without saying.

Xasprtr on September 29, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Umm… The Stench?? The U.S. media falls for obvious satire as well.

Illinidiva on September 29, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Xasprtr on September 29, 2012 at 3:12 PM

It was a tasteless joke, if that’s the case. Personally, if those were my two choices I’d be looking very hard for a write in candidate (at the very least “F. You”) or a new home.

kim roy on September 29, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Love that image of Nut Job. Is he a Lady Gaga fan? Little Monster?

Philly on September 29, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Love that image of Nut Job. Is he a Lady Gaga fan? Little Monster?

Philly on September 29, 2012 at 3:34 PM

The one terrorist that I could never get over is that Ringo Starr-looking mug Arafat.

If I didn’t hate the Beatles to begin with, I would have easily wound up hating them because of Arafat.

Liam on September 29, 2012 at 3:49 PM

M240H on September 29, 2012 at 3:08 PM

If he could dump the vaporize Israel, Armageddon and Embassy hostage things, we really could use an Iranian president.

At least Barney Frank would be paid back for that mortgage mess and economic unpleasantness that the whole country keeps hanging on the right.

IlikedAUH2O on September 29, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Jazz,

Could you expand on that comment?

Thanks

Cody1991 on September 29, 2012 at 1:14 PM

You’re welcome.

lester on September 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Serious comments on a satire article at the Onion?

Well, if you’re going to make a fool of yourself, I guess it’s better to go whole hog.

tom on September 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Xasprtr on September 29, 2012 at 3:12 PM

It’s a satire article. Expect lots of sarcastic comments.

Now, if it were a serious article … you should still expect lots of sarcastic comments.

tom on September 29, 2012 at 5:50 PM

workingclass artist on September 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Thank you for that! I saw the picture of the mother and child who “Believe in Chang” and I laughed so hard my wife rushed in because she thought I was choking to death. The way Obutthead hands stuff over to the Chinese, I’m sure it was not a mistake!

NOMOBO on September 29, 2012 at 6:22 PM

God Bless America!

paratisi on September 29, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Enough about the Whitehouse.

davidk on September 29, 2012 at 6:25 PM