Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on September 29, 2012 by Allahpundit

The Obama administration’s shifting accounts of the fatal attack on the American diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, have left President Obama suddenly exposed on national security and foreign policy, a field where he had enjoyed a seemingly unassailable advantage over Mitt Romney in the presidential race…

The Benghazi attack calls into question the accuracy of intelligence-gathering and whether vulnerable American personnel overseas are receiving adequate protection. Even allies of the president like Senator John Kerry, a Massachusetts Democrat and the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, have petitioned the White House for more information about how the government protects diplomatic installations abroad…

[F]urther details about the attack could lay bare lapses in security that could damage the administration. CNN has reported, from a diary belonging to J. Christopher Stevens, the American ambassador killed in the attack, that he harbored worries about his security. Mr. Williamson, who served as special envoy to Sudan under President George W. Bush, said it was unlikely that Mr. Stevens would not have relayed those concerns to the State Department.

***

The top U.S. intelligence authority issued an unusual public statement on Friday declaring it now believed the September 11 attack on U.S. diplomatic facilities in Benghazi, Libya, was a “deliberate and organized terrorist attack.”

Shawn Turner, spokesman for Clapper’s office, said that in the immediate aftermath of the attack, U.S. agencies came to the view that the Benghazi attack had begun spontaneously after protests at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo against a short film made in California lampooning the Prophet Mohammad…

In an apparent reference to a series of contradictory statements by some top Obama administration officials, Turner said intelligence agencies’ “initial assessment” had been passed on “to Executive Branch officials and members of Congress, who used that information to discuss the attack publicly and provide updates as they became available.”…

Within hours of the attacks ending, some government sources in Washington were already acknowledging they might well have been planned and organized in advance, and that members of two militant factions, Ansar al Shariah and al Qaeda’s North Africa-based affiliate, known as al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, may have been involved.

***

This, more than anything, is the problem with the administration’s response. It wasn’t that they failed to provide enough information to the public, but that they provided incorrect information and did so long after it was clear to many in the intelligence community that the political narrative was false.

There are two possible explanations. Either the information widely available to intelligence professionals was not shared with those speaking on behalf of the president. Or those Obama administration officials had the accurate information and chose not to provide it…

Some of the misleading information provided to the public could not possibly have been a result of incomplete or evolving intelligence. The information about security for the ambassador and the compound, for instance, would have been readily available to administration officials from the beginning. And yet when Susan Rice appeared on five political talk shows on September 16, she erroneously claimed that the two ex-Navy SEALs killed in the attack were, along with several colleagues, providing security. They were not. Why did she say this?

These questions, and many others, deserve answers. And soon.

***

***

Am I crazy or is today’s NBC Nightly News broadcast actually almost fair in Obama vs. Romney terms? … The network isn’t exactly harsh on Obama regarding the highly suspicious intelligence-agency blame-taking on Libya misdirection–but Andrea Mitchell does offer only two alternatives: 1) “a coverup” 2) “trying to avoid acknowledging mistakes this close to an election.” … Is MSM Guilt finally kicking in?

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

“Nobody died in Watergate.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7 8

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Good evening!..:)

Dire Straits on September 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Well, you should get out more. As of Thursday Rasmussen had Romney up by 10.

JPeterman on September 30, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I’m on a contract position in NC now… Not AZ. And trust me, my neighborhood, is rock solid Democrat. The 90% kind.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM

timmytee on September 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM

That’s the ticket!! If we all did similar perhaps these idiots who pander to the muzzies would take notice and discover that they cannot and should not pander to anyone!!

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Good morning Dire… and AZ and Fred!

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Greetings to you as well. How’s things?

AZfederalist on September 30, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Virginia? If Mitt wins the debate, he’ll take the state.

Rasmussen
Virginia: Obama 49%, Romney 48%
Friday, September 14, 2012

Virginia Survey of 500 Likely Voters
Conducted September 13, 2012

IlikedAUH2O on September 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM

DBear on September 30, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Oh, you don’t mind paying taxes — how big of you, but being so new to the club you obviously still don’t understand the difference between taxes paid on a pay check & taxes paid on capital gains (which is the 2nd time the money is taxed — in Romney’s case that means that money was taxed once at the corporate level of 35% & then again at 15%).

And nice after declaring the rest of us to be “racist homophobic fake Christians’ you expose yourself as the BIGOT you are — what about all that “religious tolerance” that’s in vogue with you anti-Free Speechers now — you know, not “hurting the religious feelings of others is what our country was founded on” — or does that ONLY apply to Muslims & not Mormons.

Hypocrite.

Also, here’s a little math hellp for you — Romney gave 30% of his income to charity last year — his tithe is 10%; that means 20% (or almost $3 million) went to charities OTHER than his church.

Dark Star on September 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing – Aerosmith

thatsafactjack on September 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM

…it happened at the pool.

KOOLAID2 on September 29, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Yep. Poolside. It was that her Mambo charms that launched me into orbit; but then I forced myself to think about Janet Napolitano in order to subdue my manly urges.

SparkPlug on September 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Any folks near Dallas feel the quake – 3.4 mag, 3 km N. Of Irving?

whatcat on September 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Again not huge fan of Bush…

What I say it is true because history backs it up…

And again acknowledge that policies can have an effect on on how bad the bad times are and how good the good times are…

So in conclusion, no matter who wins this November, America faces fundamental debt and energy/commodity issues that will not be fixed overnight and the economy will under perform until 2018-2020…

The bubble was visible in 2002. I saw it in 2001 when I researched house prices for my first purchase which never materialized.

The policies were driving home prices.

Yes, it the same policies we employ today but we just have them on steroids now…

Bernanke is Greenspan on overdrive…

The only difference is the consumer is tapped, they don’t want any debt…

The forces of greed and fear have never and will never change, they go back to cavemen…

So yes a bubble was predestined, it was just where, why and how it was going to happen…

MGardner on September 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I stay pretty much to myself. Out in the country. So do not see much. My home in AZ is a certain DEMOCRAT stronghold… so, bleh

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 12:12 AM

What part? We are in the Tucson area; so yeah, I get that democrat stronghold bit. Tucson is a third world city and people keep electing the same bloody fools making it so.

AZfederalist on September 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

AZfederalist on September 30, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I am doing great! Went for a treatment and I am feeling fine!Should last for about 4 months… fingers crossed…

Thank you for asking!!

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Thank you! I would think all of you would all agree I am a good citizen and American rather than the leech and deviant you guys refer to me as . I was selling homeowners insurance when the market crashed and lost my clients and eventually my job. I hit rock bottom but dusted myself off thanks to the safety net you guys want to dismantle and now I am working hard and I don’t mind paying taxes in fact I pay a bigger percentage than Mitt Romney! and no his $ to the church doesn’t count! It is no charity have you seen those tabernacles? Like the leaders living in the Vatican in an equally sham church hey don’t live in shacks now do they? They spend a lot of $ to pass laws like Prop. 8 so no that $ Mitt gives to the poor is very little!

DBear on September 30, 2012 at 12:07 AM

…since you left a half hour or so ago…you might request from rogerb to recall why you had to move to the Bay area…something about losing your job to computer software or something… making your job obsolete…DBearDemintia?

KOOLAID2 on September 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

SparkPlug on September 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

LOL! And You’ve been a perfect gentleman, too, Spark! :)

thatsafactjack on September 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Link re: M3.4 quake – 3km N of Irving, Texas

whatcat on September 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Any body home?

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I’m baaaack!

annoyinglittletwerp on September 30, 2012 at 12:07 AM

WHACK

Axe on September 30, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Dude, you are playing with fire. Twerpenstein is Alive. Its Alive.

SparkPlug on September 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Any folks near Dallas feel the quake – 3.4 mag, 3 km N. Of Irving?

whatcat on September 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Downtown Dallas…what quake?

cozmo on September 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Dark Star on September 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Well said!!

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Morning SW!!

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM

NC and VA are in the middle of a massive demo shift. Almost totally pro-democrat. I am not sure if they will stay close enough to go red again this year or in 2016, but I really doubt they will be red after 2020.

Buckshot Bill on September 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Florida? All those Hispanics were supposed to be fatal for Mitt.

Rasmussen
Florida: Obama 48%, Romney 46%
Thursday, September 13, 2012

Florida Survey of 500 likely voters
Conducted September 12, 2012

IlikedAUH2O on September 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

…Joan Crawford has risen from the grave.

equanimous on September 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Thank you perfect for how I am feeling right now… ;)

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

At the risk of bringing the blue gilled one out from whatever rock she’s hiding under tonight, remember when Sarah Palin was called “crazy” for talking about “death panels” in Obamacare?

From the Sept. 16 NY Times Opinions page

Beyond Obamacare

WE need death panels.

Well, maybe not death panels, exactly, but unless we start allocating health care resources more prudently — rationing, by its proper name — the exploding cost of Medicare will swamp the federal budget.

But in the pantheon of toxic issues — the famous “third rails” of American politics — none stands taller than overtly acknowledging that elderly Americans are not entitled to every conceivable medical procedure or pharmaceutical.

[snip]

No one wants to lose an aging parent. And with price out of the equation, it’s natural for patients and their families to try every treatment, regardless of expense or efficacy. But that imposes an enormous societal cost that few other nations have been willing to bear. Many countries whose health care systems are regularly extolled — including Canada, Australia and New Zealand — have systems for rationing care.

Who’s “crazy” now?

Flora Duh on September 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Downtown Dallas…what quake?
cozmo on September 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Or is a 3.4 common down that a way?

whatcat on September 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

AZfederalist on September 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Up north of you. In the Toughest Sheriff location HAH HAH.

One good thing, I heard since I left that the duplex apartment down the street no longer has a family of drug dealers living in it. They had two shootings in 18 months!

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

One of my wally’s newly minted associates…wears a hijab.
I hope to gosh she’s not a cashier-unless she’s willing to ring up anything and EVERYTHING that comes through her line.
beyond that-I’m reserving judgement…for now.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 29, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I used their e-mail link to say that my Jewish neighbor wants separate checkouts for meat and dairy and I prefer a meatless checkout on Friday.

timmytee on September 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Despite the fact that I’m on the verge of making 5 digits(take home) for the first time in my life-I’ll walk out if Wally’s pulls a Wegmans. We already are getting FULLY veiled muzzie women in the store(we’re not too far from a mosque)and management is doing NOTHING. In another 20-30 years(max) Lubbock is gonna be the Dearbornistan of the West.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Morning SW!!

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Oh Crap,it’s not morning yet is it?

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Mitt is up by six to eight in NC.

IlikedAUH2O on September 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

There are only a few republicans I work with, none of whom like Romney. Mostly they just don’t trust him, given his history. They both are planning to write-in Santorum. They still talk about him and his daughter, whose name I can’t remember right now. No one talks about Romney in a good way, even though most are strongly opposed to Obamacare.

Buckshot Bill on September 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM

So basically, you work with a bunch of idiots who trust Obama more than Romney, despite their strong opposition to Obamacare & the fact that his re-election 100% guarantees it doesn’t get repealed.

I’d say your little circle of co-workers isn’t representative, so I’d stop looking to them for “insight” for your EC map.

Dark Star on September 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Not finding anything about a ‘quake in Dallas area just old news…

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Angel – Aerosmith

thatsafactjack on September 30, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Not in OK it isn’t! Morning I mean…lol

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Downtown Dallas…what quake?
cozmo on September 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Or is a 3.4 common down that a way?

whatcat on September 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

3.4??? Hell those don’t even wake me up any more… :P

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Any body home?

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Nope, nobody here.

AZfederalist on September 30, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Not finding anything about a ‘quake in Dallas area just old news…

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

@NBCDFW

We just spoke with USGS. They confirmed a Magnitude 3.4 earthquake just south DFW airport. #dfwearthquake. Let us know if you have damage.

Flora Duh on September 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM

MGardner on September 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I bought a house after the crash. Cheap, paying 4% interest on it. Its my best debt. Everything else has to go that has a floater in it. Any bank lending money right now at these rates is insane I think. Inflation is on the way.

It is one of many things Romney will face if elected. But make no mistake, if he screws up, I will blame him, I will blame Obama and I will blame everyone that should have fixed things. The time for letting politicians off the hook because they wear the (R) branding is over for me.

It was almost over when i was called xenophobe by my own party. I think I was angrier back then than I am about Romney!

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Not in OK it isn’t! Morning I mean…lol

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Oh thank god, I have been helping my partner move all day, just now got home, got more moving to do tomorrow, I haven’t had a chance to pass out yet, didn’t want to find out it was tomorrow yet… o_O

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM

If you have not read this from the HA headlines, every word is a jewel.

Schadenfreude on September 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Buckshot Bill on September 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I think Catholic’s are going to tip this election to Mitt…

MGardner on September 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Flora Duh on September 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM

3.4 feels like a semi driving by with a flat tire.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Or is a 3.4 common down that a way?

whatcat on September 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

IIRC from geology classes, small earthquakes are common just about everywhere. They never made the news locally until the Barnett shale gas field became viable and the eco-nuts went on their latest “technology will kill us all” crusade. I think they are just looking for an excuse to say “fracking”.

cozmo on September 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Not finding anything about a ‘quake in Dallas area just old news…

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Some folks talking about it at Free Republic, so I was wondering about HA TX folks:

whatcat on September 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Any body home?

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Nope, nobody here.

AZfederalist on September 30, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Oh good then I’m not alone in not being here yet… ;p

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Hi Flora! Wow!! In the Times? Wow!

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Oh Crap,it’s not morning yet is it?

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Nope, not for us, couple hours away yet.

AZfederalist on September 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

*clink

equanimous on September 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Dark Star on September 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I never said they were representative, only an anecdote. There is no direct evidence in this area of MO that Romney is ahead statistically in the state. And this is a very red region. Given that Obama will certainly win the KC and STL vote, Romney needs this area to win the state. Most polls show Romney ahead here right now, though Rasmussen had him down by 1 a few weeks ago and only plus 3 right now. Which is probably more accurate than PPP which has him plus 12.

Buckshot Bill on September 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM

cozmo on September 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM

What he said…

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Oh Crap,it’s not morning yet is it?

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Nope, not for us, couple hours away yet.

AZfederalist on September 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Oh good, I’m seven kinds of beat…

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Send Me An Angel – Scorpions

thatsafactjack on September 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

3.4??? Hell those don’t even wake me up any more… :P
SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Any shaking is rare and barely noticeable in my neck of the woods. Never been in one, in fact, AFAIK.

whatcat on September 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

*clink

equanimous on September 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM

OH yea… that works right now as well… ;)

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Schadenfreude on September 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Mark is always on the ball! I hadn’t seen it, so thanks for the linky!

I am a bit behind, been busy today…

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM

You are not alone in that.

Buckshot Bill on September 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

whatcat on September 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I’m in SoCal so I usually sleep through 5′s and such…

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Send Me An Angel – Scorpions

thatsafactjack on September 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Hey beautiful…how is life treating you tonight?

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Send Me An Angel

thatsafactjack on September 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Sorry, no can do, I’m no angel

cozmo on September 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Any folks near Dallas feel the quake – 3.4 mag, 3 km N. Of Irving?

whatcat on September 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

That was only a Girthquake. But still, when Oprah goes jogging it can damage the infrastructure.

SparkPlug on September 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Hi Flora! Wow!! In the Times? Wow!

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Morning. Yes, it is morning here ;-)

Yeah, they’re not even attempting to hide it anymore.

Flora Duh on September 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Buckshot Bill on September 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I was being sarcastic. Look, you don’t fool me — you’re a MOBY.

Just because you are more adept at it than DBear who comes right out & arrogantly calls us all racist, homophobic fake Christians, doesn’t mean I don’t see what you’re doing.

Dark Star on September 30, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Have had a few EQ’s here in OK from time to time, felt a rolling one and then a shaker… scared the bejeebers outta me!

The muffled explosions are what really got to me! I didn’t know EQ’s made a noise…

EQ’s in OK? lol… thought tornadoes were bad enough…

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I’m in SoCal so I usually sleep through 5′s and such…
SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Rarely get one of those in the North Central Plains. The earth just doesn’t get very excited, I reckon.

whatcat on September 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Brutal. Working. Thanks for asking.:)

thatsafactjack on September 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Send Me An Angel

thatsafactjack on September 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Sorry, no can do, I’m no angel

cozmo on September 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

BWAHAHAH… Neither am I, but Jack still loves me anyway… ;p

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM

cozmo on September 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

lol! Excellent choice. :)

thatsafactjack on September 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

SparkPlug on September 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

WHACK

annoyinglittletwerp on September 30, 2012 at 12:07 AM

WHACK
WHACK

thatsafactjack on September 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM

*quarter bounce*

SparkPlug on September 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

WHACK
WHACK
WHACK

Schadenfreude on September 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Well, maybe the future will belong to those who empower women and don’t diss Mohammed. But maybe it’ll belong to albino midgets who wear pink thongs. Who knows? Que sera sera, whatever will be will be, the future’s not ours to see. But one thing we can say for certain is that the future will not belong to broke losers. You’re the brokest guy in the room, you’re the president of Brokistan. You’ve got to pay back $16 trillion just to get back to having nothing, nada, zip. Who the hell are you to tell us who the future’s going to belong to?

He had me at albinos :)

Axe on September 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

But still, when Oprah goes jogging it can damage the infrastructure.
SparkPlug on September 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Or an NEA strike march.

whatcat on September 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Just one thing which is not true in that article – Obama is NOT a great orator. That is one of the myths around him.

Schadenfreude on September 30, 2012 at 12:42 AM

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Brutal. Working. Thanks for asking.:)

thatsafactjack on September 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM

ROTFLMAO…Moving my partner today (and most of next week) and we haven’t even gotten to the race cars yet… o_O

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Any bank lending money right now at these rates is insane I think.

This is the rate set by the Fed in a round about way, they set the Fed Funds rate, which is the rate banks borrow from each other…

That rate is 0-.25 so this is why your mortgage rate is so low…

In turn this how they force people into riskier assets such as stocks because when you put your money into a 30 year treasury bond your return in only 3% and a CD at the bank is pathetic…

This is why this bubble they are creating now might be bigger than 2008…

The Fed has forced money into risk assets that otherwise would not be there…

When it unwinds, it will be brutal…

On the other hand, I am certain President Romney is the best man for this job and he will be able to handle these things better than Obama…

MGardner on September 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Axe on September 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Geeze man, do your whackin’ in private.

cozmo on September 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Axe on September 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

OH MY GOD….Axe is “WHACKING” off in public… :O

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Axe, Mr. Steyn left us with this

Eye candy is in the eye of the beholder. And to the baying mob from Tunis to Jakarta those dead Americans and al-Qaeda flags over U.S. embassies and an entire USMC air squadron reduced to charred ruins are a veritable Willie Wonka production line of eye candy. To the president, they’re just “bumps in the road” to the sunlit uplands of “the future.” Forward! Obama has lived on “the promise of the future” all his life — Most Promising Columbia Grad of 1983, Most Promising Community Organizer of 1988, Most Promising Fake Memoirist of 1995, Most Promising Presidential Candidate of 2008 . . . The rest of us, alas, have to live in the present that he has made, which is noticeably short of promise. The Chinese Politburo get it, Czar Putin in the Kremlin gets it, and even the nutters doing the “Death to the Great Satan!” dance on the streets of Cairo and Lahore get it. On November 6, we will find out whether the American people do.

Schadenfreude on September 30, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Shadenfreude, that I know, a word mixologist yes, that’s all he has, he says so much without saying anything…

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Still Loving You – Scorpions

thatsafactjack on September 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM

MGardner on September 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I misspoke, Any bank lending money at those rates for 15 and 30 years is insane.

It is one reason why lending is not happening. I got my loan cause I am a degenerate disabled vet and used my VA loan backing.

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I was being sarcastic. Look, you don’t fool me — you’re a MOBY.

Dark Star on September 30, 2012 at 12:39 AM

McCain called SC anti-mormon bigots for voting for Newt in the Primary and not Romney. I have never called Romney voters racist, homophobes, or fake Christians. Half my family are Jehovah Witnesses, so I know a lot about fake Christians.

Mormons can be a bit odd at times, but are generally well behaved and hard workers. JW’s live off the government and annoy people. Especially Catholic family members. Trust me on this. I have a never ending supply of moldy Watchtowers sitting on the edge of my front porch; more of them every single day.

Buckshot Bill on September 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Mr Steyn has such a lovely almost poetic way of wordsmithing…

And you cannot mistake what he is saying!

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM

The state is always going to be close, but I think it will eventually become a blue state.

Buckshot Bill on September 29, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Not gonna happen. While FL will probably always stay a purplish swing state, it’s been trending more red than blue the last couple of decades. Before Jeb got elected as gov in ’99, there had been only two Republican governors since the end of the Civil War. He was the first Republican gov to ever win a second term.

The FL legislature was solidly Democratic until the ’90s as well. But in 1992, the FL Senate went red and in 1996, the FL House of Reps. went red. Been red ever since.

Remember, in ’08, FL only went for Obama by 2.8% and we know that a lot of that was ‘shiny new thing’ syndrome. :P

I’m in the Tampa Bay end of the I-4 swing corridor and we had about 3,000 enthusiastic people for a Ryan rally in wee little Oldsmar. Plenty of enthusiasm even in purple land. :)

Kirin on September 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Or an NEA strike march.

whatcat on September 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

From the looks of that crowd, if they got in the right synchronization, that would register about a 5.

AZfederalist on September 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM

thatsafactjack on September 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

right band, wrong era, heh…

equanimous on September 30, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Buckshot Bill on September 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM

JW’s actually Blacklisted me!! They would avoid my door like I had the plague… I took them on and showed them who the Boss was and they didn’t like it one bit…

(I am not the Boss)…

Their booklets are propaganda… I tore into them with their own words…

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Steyn’s work is pure poetry. If you’ve heard him, you can hear that voice reading that piece.

AZfederalist on September 30, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Our Ambassador died and the obamanation and his (mis)administration lied…

Gohawgs on September 30, 2012 at 12:51 AM

equanimous on September 30, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Not a contest.

thatsafactjack on September 30, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Wind of change

Schadenfreude on September 30, 2012 at 12:53 AM

astonerii on September 30, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Lending is happening it’s just that people don’t want more debt…

Think about this every time the economy goes bad they lower interest rates to encourage borrowing to get the economy going…

This the main tool of FOMC interest rate policy…

But eventually people don’t want anymore debt, they have had enough…

So if their is no lending, in part I would say they credit standards are higher (for good reason) but also in part people don’t want debt…

MGardner on September 30, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Our Ambassador died and the obamanation and his (mis)administration lied…

Gohawgs on September 30, 2012 at 12:51 AM

“Bumps in the road”, racist!

Schadenfreude on September 30, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Mr Steyn has such a lovely almost poetic way of wordsmithing…

And you cannot mistake what he is saying!

Scrumpy on September 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM

He’s amazing. His stuff reminds me of Coulter’s Godless. Always silky smooth.

Axe on September 30, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Another Rainy Night

SWalker on September 30, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Buckshot Bill on September 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Did you even read what I wrote? I wrote that DBear called us racist, homophobic fake-Christians.

And I certainly don’t care about your opinion of Mormons, MOBY.

Dark Star on September 30, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Did y’all catch this about the obamaphone?

Lanceman on September 29, 2012 at 11:33 PM

That is just too funny:-)

bluefox on September 30, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Kirin on September 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Perhaps. Dem voters seem to be fleeing the deep blue states and flocking towards red territory. Turning the red to blue very rapidly.

It is happening in NV, CO, VA, NC, GA, and other states. Only WI is seriously turning redder. The long-term trend is for the low population red states to become purple, the high pop blue to remain mostly blue.

Maybe FL has a large enough red population to offset demo shifts. Plus much of the growth is with Cubans, and they tend to vote Republican. But then I never thought VA would go blue so soon, and now it looks to remain that way. I am pessimistic in the long-term for the Republican party’s national electoral prospects.

Buckshot Bill on September 30, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Or an NEA strike march.
whatcat on September 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

AZfederalist on September 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Oh yeah.

Funny lines from Freepers talking about this quake:
“Went outside and my neighbor was in the street—he mentioned his wife and he were in bed and it was shaking.”

Someone responded:
TMI :)

heh.

whatcat on September 30, 2012 at 12:56 AM

On November 6, we will find out whether the American people do.

Schadenfreude on September 30, 2012 at 12:44 AM

You know, I keep repeating it. Apologies. :) I think we win, and I think we can get on with it — but a whole lot of what Steyn is bringing up lately is still gonna be trashing up the place. Lots and lots of people are going to actually vote for Obama. There’s so much damage to clean up.

Axe on September 30, 2012 at 12:58 AM