Quotes of the day

posted at 8:41 pm on September 28, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Extremists from groups linked to al Qaida struck the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, in a “deliberate and organized terrorist attack,” the top U.S. intelligence agency said Friday, as it took responsibility for the Obama administration’s initial claims that the deadly assault grew from a spontaneous protest against an anti-Islam video.

The unusual statement from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence appeared to have two goals: updating the public on the latest findings of the investigation into the assault, and shielding the White House from a political backlash over its original accounts.

“In the immediate aftermath (of the assault), there was information that led us to assess that the attack began spontaneously following protests earlier that day at our embassy in Cairo,” spokesman Sean Turner said in the statement. “We provided that initial assessment to executive branch officials and members of Congress, who used that information to discuss the attack publicly.”

***

On Sept. 12, the day after the attack, White House press secretary Jay Carney was asked whether “the attack in Benghazi was planned and premeditated.” “It’s too early for us to make that judgment,” Carney said.

The next day, Sept. 13, State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland subtly pointed to a YouTube video as possibly creating a motivation for the attack. …

We certainly don’t know, we don’t know otherwise,” said Carney. “You know, we have no information to suggest that it was a preplanned attack. The unrest we’ve seen around the region has been in reaction to a video that Muslims, many Muslims, find offensive. And while the violence is reprehensible and unjustified, it is not a reaction to the 9/11 anniversary that we know of or to U.S. policy.”

***

What did they know and when did they know it?

This Washington cliché has become the question of the hour, or at least it would be if the mainstream media could feign interest in the terrorist attack against the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, and anti-American rioting throughout the Middle East and North Africa. …

Never mind that a fourth-grader could see that the Libya attack was anything but a spontaneous riot over an Internet video the administration, following the lead of the Islamists, has elevated to the genre of “movie.” Protesters generally don’t carry RPGs or use mortars, for starters. …

Also, where did Rice get her very detailed information about the attack in Libya? She referred to the attackers as “a small handful of heavily armed mobsters” who merely took advantage of a growing protest over the video, a protest that now appears never to have occurred, as was reported three days before her appearances. The administration is careful to point out that Rice couched everything she said as being the best assessment at the time. Fine. But where did that assessment come from and how could it have been so wrong, especially when all signs pointed to a terrorist attack?

***

***

Photobucket

And that’s where I think that you get a failure of the Romney campaign. This was an opportunity for Romney to make the case, to make a speech, to make at least an argument about how the policy of this administration, which essentially [is] apology and appeasement, has simply been tried and not worked. Instead, Romney made one statement about the Cairo embassy dispatch, in which I think that Romney was correct, but he was savagely attacked by the media over that even though it was vindicated when the Obama administration said the exactly the same thing. It was an awful statement a little bit later. …

The problem that Romney has is the fact that people don’t see him as a leader or sort of endowed stature when they see him. That was an opportunity that was missed and it remains missed. It’s a mystery why Romney can’t seize the moment on this.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Biden is…

RedCrow on September 29, 2012 at 2:12 AM

RedCrow on September 29, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Excellent!!..One of their best!!..:)

PS..Great to see you..:)

Dire Straits on September 29, 2012 at 2:19 AM

PS..Great to see you..:)

Dire Straits on September 29, 2012 at 2:19 AM

You too. Been busy. Usually gettin’ in a few posts in the morning while waking up to coffee. Been missing all the regular chit-chatters.

RedCrow on September 29, 2012 at 2:30 AM

I like this’un, too.

RedCrow on September 29, 2012 at 2:32 AM

RedCrow on September 29, 2012 at 2:09 AM

…hey bud!…you been busy lately?…or stuck behind the orange barrels on I-275…that construction ever going to end?
How are you liking the polls showing JugEars is pulling away in Michigan?…For the first time in 20 years I’m going to take a week off work… and work the phone banks for my 3rd from the bottom candidate!…freaks me out that my heart is in it!

KOOLAID2 on September 29, 2012 at 2:42 AM

“It’s a mystery why Romney can’t seize the moment on this.”

I think he is going to, just not yet. If I am right, I think you will see Mitt getting much more aggressive after next week’s first debate with Obama. By this time next week, Romney is likely to start doing just exactly what Mr K describes. A week from now we will likely have lot more information, the Obama administration will have a week less time to counter.

Rasmussen still shows the candidates tied. The media is *finally* starting to pull on some of the loose threads on this issue. Once they start doing that, Romney can gain traction with the issue. He couldn’t when the media was in “circle the wagons” mode.

As long as Romney is close leading up to the first debate, he isn’t going to pull his heavy weapons out. Once that debate is over, though, I fully expect to see Romney firing with both barrels.

crosspatch on September 29, 2012 at 2:45 AM

KOOLAID2 on September 29, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Hey, Kool. Lol–Hell of a way to spend a “staycation”, but I admire you for it. (I still think Romney’s got a good chance in our state. We all know that you can’t trust the polls. I imagine you’ve heard how Stabitnow is faring? (I have no idea.))

And, as far as the traffic?!? I live in Canton. They closed Warren at 275, AND Cherry Hill at 275!!!!!!!! (What genius came up with that idea?!? Lol–I spend much of my life figuring out ways to avoid Ford Rd., and the morons do this!)

Normally, I’d expect someone to get fired for that debacle. But, it’s probably some idiotic attempt to get people to spend money on Ford Rd.–which is also under construction at 275!)

IDIOTS! (It’s really like they’re boxing me in!)

RedCrow on September 29, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Romney doesn’t want the rhetoric to peak too soon. He is going to want to steadily ramp it up over the final month of the campaign hitting Obama from a different angle every few days. The big hammer is going to be the third quarter economic figures that come out on October 25. So far we have stuff like this:

This was after back in June we were hearing:

So before June they were looking for 3% growth in Q3. Then that got revised down to 2. Now that is getting revised down to less than 2% (a very important number. You need 2% overall economic growth just to maintain a steady per capita GDP. When grown goes under 2%, the GDP per person in this country falls). I believe it is going to come in substantially under 2%. That is going to be Romney’s final big hammer.

But, I think the “October surprise” is going to belong to Romney and he is going to come out very aggressive in October.

crosspatch on September 29, 2012 at 2:57 AM

crosspatch on September 29, 2012 at 2:45 AM

“It’s a mystery why Romney can’t seize the moment on this.”

I think a lot of CK–he’s WAY smarter than I. But, ya know, these pundits coming down on Romney makes me think of someone watching another trying to run up a steep, steep hill, and criticizing his methods.

“Oh! He should have taken that tack to the right. Instead, he went left and slid down fifteen feet.”

I wish “undecideds” could all realize that Romney is going up against an incumbent with constant media fellation.

RedCrow on September 29, 2012 at 3:04 AM

In his 2002 campaign for Governor, Romney trailed in polls all the way to the middle of October and got very aggressive the final three weeks of the campaign and won.

crosspatch on September 29, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Speaking of climbing hills…

RedCrow on September 29, 2012 at 3:12 AM

This election is more than partisan politics. Our neighbors, friends, and families are suffering. This is one of those times where we need to rise above the politics and unite as a country to put someone in the White House who stands a better chance of turning things around. Obama isn’t that guy.

Even if you are the most bleeding heart liberal, every person going back to work reduces the scope of the problems you care about. Every person going back to work is one less person or family in poverty, or no longer homeless or who now has access to health care. Getting Americans back to work addresses all those issues.

To liberals, libertarians, Republicans, Democrats, Americans of every political stripe, we are in danger of going back into another recession without having recovered from the first. Looking forward, I see tax increases of all sorts that will likely further reduce business investment and throw more people out of jobs and possibly their homes. This isn’t about partisan politics, this is about our country and our communities.

Please, join me in replacing Obama and putting someone in Washington who has a shot at making things better. We can talk politics in 2016. Right now we need to talk about our country and our people. We did it in 1980 when we kicked Carter out. Americans across party lines came together. We can do it again.

Please.

crosspatch on September 29, 2012 at 4:20 AM

Romney has been abysmally absent. I still think that a month can do him much good.

Corporal Tunnel on September 29, 2012 at 4:36 AM

Ok Y’all. Need to debrief. Seldom post but read daily.

I live in California. Yeah, yeah, I know…it’s all going to hell in a handbasket here. Not my fault. I vote and vote conservative, for all the good it does me. But, I digress.

I went out with friends tonight and met an interesting gentleman who owns his own “painting” company. I asked him how things went through the bust and he said he went to his employees, asked them to take a pay cut to keep their jobs, they did and he made it through and is head above water now.

I thought it was a safe bet that he would be a Romney supporter. When I asked him who he was voting for, he said Obama. I was shocked.

I asked him a series of questions that revealed to me that he has no clue what’s going on, that he is lazy about information, expects to be spoon fed the Romney plan and thinks Obama has a plan (in the face of evidence that his plan is a null set).

It was devastating. I spoke to him for some time and feel I might have made some headway. I asked him to please do some research on Romney’s plan. This man had no knowledge of the unfunded liabilities facing our nation. He actually went so far as to say that he was waiting for it all to just fall apart so we could put it all together again.

I’m bummed. Yes, it’s California, and yes, this state will not ever go Red. But man…that was a really low blow to my hope that even the most engaged (business owners) would be so clueless and blind.

keebs on September 29, 2012 at 6:22 AM

Source

I don’t believe this smokescreen for one second. And even if I did, why still the crap from the boy king about some stupid “movie” 2 weeks later, when even members of his own administration were admitting it wasn’t spontaneous?

Flora Duh on September 29, 2012 at 6:33 AM

KOOLAID2 on September 29, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Bless you for that!

We will pull together and we will get this done.

bluegill on September 29, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Flora Duh on September 29, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Yes, you were right last night it was my birthday and we had just gotten back from the wedding of a young couple. It was nice.

Cindy Munford on September 29, 2012 at 7:19 AM

KOOLAID2 on September 29, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Thanks KA2!

hillsoftx on September 29, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Cindy Munford on September 29, 2012 at 7:19 AM

;-)

Flora Duh on September 29, 2012 at 7:29 AM

keebs on September 29, 2012 at 6:22 AM

Don’t be bummed – it’s just one guy who, from your description, sounds anything but “most engaged”. Knowing if your employees are paid less that your profits will increase doesn’t exactly require an MBA.

whatcat on September 29, 2012 at 7:31 AM

keebs on September 29, 2012 at 6:22 AM

One could reasonably ask “are the American voters really so dumb they can’t see through the charlatan in the White House” . . . then, with a high degree of assurance one could answer, “yes”.

Sad but true.

rplat on September 29, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Mornin’, peeps. Here it is, and, it’s a hot one: my take.

kingsjester on September 29, 2012 at 7:35 AM

kingsjester on September 29, 2012 at 7:35 AM

I read about the $450 million a little while ago.

I wish I could say I’m surprised, but…

Flora Duh on September 29, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Romney better hit Obama hard, fast and often on the Libya debacle during the debates. If not, I’m afraid Romney’s goose is cooked…

Grace_is_sufficient on September 29, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Flora Duh on September 29, 2012 at 7:39 AM

I know. This idiot and his gang of thieves are indescribable.

kingsjester on September 29, 2012 at 7:42 AM

I have determined that Stefanie Cutter is in fact responsible for all public communications about the attack from the White House, State Department, and various intelligence agencies to ensure that they are all in sync with whatever message the campaign wants to release to the public. This accounts for the differences between what we are hearing from official and independent sources.

Nomas on September 29, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on September 29, 2012 at 7:42 AM

There are so many devaststing sinkholes to Obama to point out to a lied to public. How about hitting him on the voter fraud already going down in FL and NY and alot of other things suppressed by the state run media and doing it on prime time when everyone is watching, it’s live, and they (hopefully) can’t censor him?
How about shouting out “Hotair.com” and “Breightbart.com” and having the nation hear just that moment of truth. “Go there tonite after this debate so you’ll know.”
Then the next debate, all Romney has to do is name names and let the public source them afterwards. “Alinsky, Van Jones, Kevin Jennings, boom, boom, boom, all direct hits the media will drive themself into the ground deep spinning positive for Barry. While really anyone interested will reference them here and there.
Just a thought.

onomo on September 29, 2012 at 7:54 AM

The latest New York Times/CBS/Quinnipiac Poll shows Barack Obama trouncing Mitt Romney by 9 percentage points – 53 percent to 44. But is there a single objective political professional in Florida who actually believes Obama is leading by 9 points? In Florida?!

Maybe I’ll eat my words on Nov. 6, but I loudly echo Florida GOP Chairman Lenny Curry’s sentiments on Twitter earlier today: “If you believe this mornings Fl Q poll I have swamp land to sell you. Come on man! This is Florida.”

Tampa Bay Times political editor Adam Smith

Flora Duh on September 29, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Happy B-Day CM.

SparkPlug on September 29, 2012 at 8:17 AM

I want to encourage each of you to email ABC/CBS/NBC and tell them that Benghazi is worse than Watergate and that it needs to be investigated. People died and the president lied.

ted c on September 29, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on September 29, 2012 at 7:42 AM

I agree. I am fast getting sick of the Romney campaign. My gosh… our whole country is melting because of Obama and all Romney and Ryan can do is talk about jobs or some insane complicated economic output number vs some other number. It blurs your freaking mind. The house is on fire and Romney and Ryan want to talk numbers.

This is so far more than just about jobs. Obama is a disgrace. His whole freaking administration is a disgrace. Jobs do not equal freedom. Every communist country gave jobs to their citizens. You can get a job in jail for that matter! This is about liberty! If there is liberty there will be jobs! Jobs do not equal liberty though! Why is the GOP so embarrassed about freedom? This is insane!

JellyToast on September 29, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Belated birthday wishes and anniversary congratulation to two of my favorite posters. If I could be a sock puppet it would be for either Cindy Munford or Flora Duh.

Happy, Happy
Joy, Joy

Fallon on September 29, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Where’s verbaluce? He’s the one always spouting off about Fast and Furious being a big nothingburger blown out of proportion by rightwingers and FOX News – ahem…

Fast and Furious back in headlines as Univision reportedly finds more victims

Spanish-language television network Univision plans to air a television special that it said reveals more violence than previously known, as well as the stories of how many more Operation Fast and Furious victims were killed, the network announced in a Friday release.

“The consequences of the controversial ‘Fast and Furious’ undercover operation put in place by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) in 2009 have been deadlier than what has been made public to date,” the network said. “The exclusive, in-depth investigation by Univision News’ award-winning Investigative Unit — Univision Investiga — has found that the guns that crossed the border as part of Operation Fast and Furious caused dozens of deaths inside Mexico.”

Among other groups of Fast and Furious victim stories Univision says it will tell in the special to air Sunday evening at 7 p.m., is one about how “16 young people attending a party in a residential area of Ciudad Juárez in January of 2010″ were gunned down with weapons the Obama administration gave to drug cartel criminals through Fast and Furious.

“Univision News’ Investigative Unit was also able to identify additional guns that escaped the control of ATF agents and were used in different types of crimes throughout Mexico,” the network added. “Furthermore, some of these guns — none of which were reported by congressional investigators — were put in the hands of drug traffickers in Honduras, Puerto Rico, and Colombia. A person familiar with the recent congressional hearings called Univision’s findings ‘the holy grail’ that Congress had been searching for.”

By Univision News

Video: The Untold Story Behind The “Fast and Furious” Scandal

———–

It will be interesting to see how many Hispanics are still in a hurry to rush to the polls and vote for Obama after this airs.

Don’t you agree, verbaluce?

Flora Duh on September 29, 2012 at 9:06 AM

kingsjester on September 29, 2012 at 7:35 AM
I read about the $450 million a little while ago.

I wish I could say I’m surprised, but…

Flora Duh on September 29, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Simple “operant conditioning” theory would tell you that it is not time to offer a $450 million reward to the Egyptian government right after your embassy was attacked and looted because the government did not secure it when it was under siege for hours and there were days of advance notice of what was going to happen. Naturally, that government and others will conclude that the way to get money is to attack Americans. In Libya, Khadafi gave up his nuclear and chemical weapons and agreed to work with us against Al Queda. The result was we over threw him. Lesson learned– do not give up your weapons and do not ally with the Americans. Mubarak allied with the US and we helped overthrow him. Lesson learned– do not ally with America, you cannot trust them. A child could figure out that we are failing in foreign policy because we cannot even figure out how to reward and punish at the appropriate times and places.

KW64 on September 29, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Fallon on September 29, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Thank you.

KW64 on September 29, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I agree. You would think our Harvard grad boy king could grasp that.

Flora Duh on September 29, 2012 at 9:22 AM

KOOLAID2 on September 29, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Bless you for that!

We will pull together and we will get this done.

bluegill on September 29, 2012 at 7:16 AM

WE!!! aren’t pulling together to get anything done spokesfish! I’m a SARAH PALIN WORSHIPER…(then Perry, Santy..etc.)…I’ll pull my own knob thank you! If I had to work a room with you…I’d take my bathroom breaks over in the vicinity of your desk!

KOOLAID2 on September 29, 2012 at 9:28 AM

When was the last time a US Ambassador was ASSASSINATED?

When was the last time a US consulate was attacked and destroyed by terrorists?

When was the last time a US Embassy was over run and the American flag torn down and the terrorist al Queda flag run up the embassy flag pole?

albill on September 29, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Don’t you agree, verbaluce?

Flora Duh on September 29, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Verbascumbag doesn’t care about dead Mexicans or dead Border Agents. “No big deal” if I recall correctly..F&F is just a big plot by the VRWC to make Dear Leader look bad. So it’s the republicans fault.

HumpBot Salvation on September 29, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Happy Birthday, a bit belated, Cindy! Big kisses and hugs! XOXOXO

Bmore on September 29, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Flora Duh on September 29, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Wow, thanks for that Univision story, Flora! I am glad they are still on it. At least someone is.

4Grace on September 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Happy belated birthday, Cindy Mumford!

PatriotGal2257 on September 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Happy Birthday, a bit belated, Cindy! Big kisses and hugs! XOXOXO

Bmore on September 29, 2012 at 10:01 AM

…what!…you just saw her!…you forgot to spank her?

KOOLAID2 on September 29, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I would point out that people are saying Romeny has made a mistake by not making a statement. I would say this thing is still being discussed and so it isn’t “over” yet.

Also it might have been a good strategy to wait till the friggin press can’t play games with a Romney press conference to start making statements. Don’t forget we have a WHOLE debate on foreign policy and they might have their eyes on that. Obama won’t get through a whole debate without discussing the Libya debacle.

Conan on September 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Conan on September 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM

i agree. keep the focus on that stench Obama.

gracie on September 29, 2012 at 11:32 AM

keebs on September 29, 2012 at 6:22 AM

I hear you. Run into the same thing all the time. The only advantage to their cluelessness is that they are such low information voters… they might actually listen to you. Without arguing, without even pressing for a particular candidate, simply point out that “waiting for things to change” is not going to work this time. Just work your way up from the new taxes every local municipality is imposing, to the new state taxes that Gov. Brown is attempting to pass by initiative in November, to the plethora of Obamacare taxes, the immediate tax increases resulting from expiration of the Bush tax cuts, and every other kind of tax that awaits us in the next 4 years while he “waits for things to change.” Higher taxes, more spending, no spending cuts… that is what has brought us to our present state. And things are only going to get worse unless he– all of us– gets rid of every elected official who’s been presiding over this mess. “Throw all the bums out” seems to resonate with the people I talk to– and only when they’re nodding their heads in agreement do you close the deal: “And that means from the very top. Even Obama has got to go.” Since people are sometimes reluctant to express any dislike for this president– personally– just make him part of the package. To be thrown out.

BTW, if you really want to swing a state, contact the Romney campaign. Nevada. A lot of Californians are headed there.

de rigueur on September 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM

JellyToast on September 29, 2012 at 8:25 AM

I have been thinking this same thing for a few days. There are some issues that take priority and our National Security is #1.
Romney did fine with his statement on 9/11/12 and his Press Conference the next day. He took some heat, but so what? Now he’s becoming silent on this matter with a wait and see approach.

I’d like to see him “Newt” B.O. at the first debate, but don’t have much hope for that.

This election is a war, not a battle and we must win it.

bluefox on September 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Thanks everybody!

Cindy Munford on September 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Thanks everybody!

Cindy Munford on September 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM

For the life of me, I don’t know why you didn’t mention it to us. Now your gift will be in the mail. I could have hand delivered, you know? ; )

Bmore on September 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM

WASHINGTON — The Republican National Committee on Thursday fired a firm it had hired to register voters in several battleground states after allegations of voter registration fraud.

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/09/27/169950/republicans-fire-firm-accused.html#storylink=omni_popular#storylink=cpy

Good grief!!

bluefox on September 29, 2012 at 12:32 PM

KOOLAID2 on September 29, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Sometimes you need a hammer to slam a mosquito, LOL

bluefox on September 29, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I see Cindy had a B.D. and Flora an Anniversary. Best wishes and treasured memories to you both!!

My sister celebrates all week for her B.D.:-)I think I like that idea.

bluefox on September 29, 2012 at 1:11 PM