Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:01 am on September 27, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

What has been Barack Obama’s biggest failure in his term as President?  That’s a question on which we muse constantly in this feature, and on which we poll on a weekly and annual basis.  I’m pretty sure that the President doesn’t cast a vote in those OOTW/OOTY polls (although he’s welcome to do so!), but it sounds as if he’d have some trouble making a decision.  My friend and colleague Katie Pavlich noticed this week that Obama has offered a range of choices when asked the same question by different reporters — what has been his biggest failure?

From 60 Minutes Sunday:

I’m the first one to confess that– the spirit that I brought to Washington, that I wanted to see instituted, where we weren’t constantly– in– in a political slugfest but were focused more on problem solving that, you know, I haven’t fully accomplished that. Haven’t even come close in some cases. And– you know, if you ask me—what’s my biggest disappointment is that we haven’t changed the tone in Washington as much as I would have liked.

From Univision last week:

JORGE RAMOS: What is your biggest failure?

OBAMA: Well, Jorge as you remind me, my biggest failure so far is we haven’t gotten comprehensive immigration reform done, so we’re going to be continuing to work on that. But it’s not for lack of trying or desire.

From ABC News in July:

“The mistake of my first term – couple of years – was thinking that this job was just about getting the policy right,” Obama told CBS News’ Charlie Rose. “And that’s important, but, you know, the nature of this office is also to tell a story to the American people that gives them a sense of unity and purpose and optimism, especially during tough times.”

Katie sums up:

As a recap, President Obama’s “biggest” failure(s) are not telling enough stories, not changing the tone in Washington and not getting immigration reform through (despite having a super majority of Democrats his first two years in office.) Obama didn’t say his biggest failure is not getting people back to work or not turning the economy around as he promised to do.

Well, that may be true.  However, it does look like Obama may be successful in setting up some competition to the OOTD series.

Got an Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me atobamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day!

Comments

What has been Barack Obama’s biggest failure in his term as President?

Being President..

Just sayin’

Electrongod on September 27, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Snatching failure from the jaws of failure.

NeighborhoodCatLady on September 27, 2012 at 8:03 AM

you know

cmsinaz on September 27, 2012 at 8:04 AM

President Eye Candy contains no artificial sweeteners.

He is pure…

Electrongod on September 27, 2012 at 8:05 AM

pandering to his audience…he doesn’t need to make a decision

cmsinaz on September 27, 2012 at 8:05 AM

You could sum it up easily. Biggest failure? “everything I touched!”

EliTheBean on September 27, 2012 at 8:05 AM

that would mean he would have to take responsibility for his actions….

ain’t gonna happen

cmsinaz on September 27, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Being President..

Just sayin’

Electrongod on September 27, 2012 at 8:02 AM

That just about says it all.

Electrongod FTW.

VelvetElvis on September 27, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Says the rat-eared bastard who within days of being inaugurated told the GOP to go to hell with his “I won” comment and told a room full donors that the GOP could go along for the ride but needed to keep their mouths shut.

Yeah, the filthy bastard really made an effort to change the tone. He intentionally made it more partisan.

Happy Nomad on September 27, 2012 at 8:08 AM

What has been Barack Obama’s biggest failure in his term as President?
=============

Um,full implimentation of his Fundamentally Transformational
Ruination of America!
(a tad sarc)

canopfor on September 27, 2012 at 8:09 AM

You could sum it up easily. Biggest failure? “everything I touched!”

EliTheBean on September 27, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Nope. Biggest failure was not being able to keep the illusion of competence up for the entire four years.

Happy Nomad on September 27, 2012 at 8:10 AM

He was obviously taken out of context. Did you see that squirrel?!?

Naturally Curly on September 27, 2012 at 8:10 AM

…..and after all those failures…….

He still leads Romney in all but republican polls.

No worries.

PappyD61 on September 27, 2012 at 8:10 AM

He hasn’t been a failure at all. He’s succeeding at his goal and the country is in a left turn downward spiral.

darwin on September 27, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Not marrying Chrissy.

docflash on September 27, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Every day with Obama is a new spectacular failure. It’s like he lives to screw up and embarrass himself and our country.

MSM: La! La! La! We can’t hear you! Romney campaign blunders! La! La! La!

Punchenko on September 27, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Obama’s biggest failure is that he failed to complete turning the USA into a marxist state before he had to run for re-election.

bgibbs1000 on September 27, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Obama’s biggest failure was color related: he was a green banana. If he’d had the maturity and patience to learn the craft of governing and how to really get things done in government, he might have had a shot at being a successful president, but the media formed a daisy chain that allowed him to reach well beyond his range to grasp the brass ring, well before he was ready.

So everything is falling apart and it’s everyone else’s fault.

He wouldn’t have to tell better stories if he had a truth worth telling.

He wouldn’t have to moan about immigration reform if he’d have had a vision worth sharing when he came in.

He wouldn’t have to complain about the tone in Washington if he hadn’t done so much to help poison the well with arrogance and exclusion.

Obama’s biggest failure is that he was, and is, an amateur playing in the big leagues when he should never have made it out of the minors.

CitizenEgg on September 27, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Spot on punchenko

cmsinaz on September 27, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Being born.

hillsoftx on September 27, 2012 at 8:14 AM

“……and his wife has such toned arms!”

“They are such a great couple, I just love their smiles. Did you see they were on TMZ last night?”

“Hey, did you get your unemployment check yet?”

And yet……automatic 45% re-elect number for this guy.

No worries America.

PappyD61 on September 27, 2012 at 8:15 AM

If Obamateurism were jobs the unenployment rate wold be -13% with most people working 2 or 3 jobs just to keep up

Gwillie on September 27, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Hope and Change can’t happen from the inside…
It can only happen from the outside..
Take a look at my Community Organizing success…

..oh wait…

Electrongod on September 27, 2012 at 8:19 AM

He has so many failures behind him it’s difficult to keep up. That and his audacity to lie about just about anything. The best failure of his, hopefully, will be his failure to fool so many people the second time around.

Padre on September 27, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Being President..

Just sayin’

Electrongod on September 27, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Electrongod:Haha,yes,you covered all angles,I agree!:)

canopfor on September 27, 2012 at 8:24 AM

“My biggest failure was winning.”- Woof Man Obie

Yoop on September 27, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I hate it when all the uhs, umms and ahs are not included in the transcripts.

Brat on September 27, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Says the clown who shut Republicans out practically on the first day by arrogantly exclaiming “I won.”

crazy_legs on September 27, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Wouldn’t it be easier and shorter to ask Obama what has been his greatest success?

**crickets**

St Gaudens on September 27, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Obama’s biggest failure is being Obama.

stoutcat on September 27, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Forgot about that lil’ gem.

crazy_legs on September 27, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I hate it when all the uhs, umms and ahs are not included in the transcripts.

Brat on September 27, 2012 at 8:35 AM

and they keep just enough ‘you know’s in the transcripts to make him sound hip.
I think his biggist failure is not getting his handicap under 40.

Rio Linda Refugee on September 27, 2012 at 8:49 AM

and they keep just enough ‘you know’s in the transcripts to make him sound hip.

I’m waiting for him to start slipping into gangsta mode and throw “know what I’m sayin’?” after every sentance.

crazy_legs on September 27, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Obama and his staff have prepared him for the ‘biggest failure’ question (quote)quite well(unquote). IMO, a smart(er) journalist should have tossed him a couple softball questions then ask what he considers his biggest accomplishment. Is it

- pulling us from the 2008 hellhole, ‘stablizing the economy’?
- universal healthcare, which of course ObamaCare isn’t
- being respected once again around the world, (do I have to?)
- his winning personality that healed the nation, (again, do I have to?)
- what?

My guess is that Obama will go on and on about his ‘biggest accomplishment’ and end up with a laughable laundry list. But in the process he will have revealed himself even more than the ‘biggest failure’ question.

Sir Napsalot on September 27, 2012 at 8:56 AM

He failed at recognizing his biggest failure.

lynncgb on September 27, 2012 at 9:00 AM

His failures are legion and we can argue which is the greatest. What’s striking to me is that his greatest success appears to be inspiring the creation of the acronym SCOAMF.

SKYFOX on September 27, 2012 at 9:13 AM

How ’bout addin’ failing to close Gitmo, or cutting the deficit in half. He did get the transforming part done.

Kissmygrits on September 27, 2012 at 9:14 AM

How about all the deaths he’s caused from Fast & Furious to Libya.

rbj on September 27, 2012 at 9:35 AM

CitizenEgg on September 27, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Bring back the real referees president, get rid of the replacement refs prez!

freedomfirst on September 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Three strikes – you’re out!

HellCat on September 27, 2012 at 10:04 AM

What has been Barack Obama’s biggest failure in his term as President?

…instead of trying to make our heads explode… why not ask what has been something he has succeeded at…that was for the good of the country!

KOOLAID2 on September 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Meanwhile the AP headlines, ‘Romney Gaffe Machine: 53% of Americans on Welfare NOT 47%.’

oprockwell on September 27, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Obamacare. (The Unaffordable Tax Act) A bill written by insurance companies to increase the cost (profit) of insurance policies by mandating absurd minimum coverage requirements with fines/taxes enforced by the IRS for noncompliance with the predictable consequences of increasing unemployment due to higher carrying costs per employee and loss of insurance coverage for many.

In addition, as Ryan stated, squandering a golden opportunity to provide real healthcare reform or real universal coverage, both of which are clearly needed, by outsourcing the legislation with little or no interest in the actual bill or process.

talkingpoints on September 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Well we can add this one to the List:

Obama: “I Want to See Us Export More Jobs” (Video)

I’m sure the press will be all over this “gaffe” today…right…

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on September 27, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I thought that The Chosen One was “focused laser-like on jobs”.

GarandFan on September 27, 2012 at 10:47 AM

No comment.

- Any democrat who ran for congress in 2010

pain train on September 27, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I thought that The Chosen One was “focused laser-like on jobs”.

GarandFan on September 27, 2012 at 10:47 AM

He is, just in an “unexpected” way. See my post right ahead of yours.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on September 27, 2012 at 10:54 AM

obama is an utter, total failure at everything he’s done while living in the white house. The arrogant narcissist sociopath is even a failure as a human being!

jqc1970 on September 27, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Biggest failure? Taking the oath of office. It was all downhill from there.

UnrepentantCurmudgeon on September 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM

When one is a habitual liar like this president is, it’s hard to keep the story the same.

sadatoni on September 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Totally beyond me how an unvetted, communist, empty chair/suit man becomes the POTUS……. Speaks volumes about the mind, and the priorities of the progressive liberal. God save America from people like that.

ultracon on September 27, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Pretty sue that the seas are still rising.

jukin3 on September 27, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I wonder if an ad consisting of OOTDs would be more effective than highlighting the various failures of Obama that so many easily forgive… Any savvy Youtubers out there?

doppiolover on September 27, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I read on a fire extinguisher in Singapore recently “…Obama blows goats”…maybe he is taking over Jason Mays’ legacy…just sayin…

OldWeaselKeeper on September 27, 2012 at 8:47 PM