Good news: Sam Adams replaces Michelob Ultra as Republicans’ favorite beer

posted at 10:05 pm on September 27, 2012 by Allahpundit

He was the first tea partier, you know.

I’m partial to the Cherry Wheat, which shouldn’t surprise you. Flavored beers are how we beta males roll.

We’ve analyzed Scarborough Research data, which includes 200,000 interviews with American adults, to determine the politics of beer drinkers.

As the bubble chart shows, Dos Equis is a bipartisan brew – Republicans and Democrats both like to drink it. So Mr. Goldsmith’s public foray into the 2012 race could alienate a large share of Dos Equis fans.

Ironically, this is in contrast to its corporate sister Heineken, which as it turns out is the most Democratic beer of all. On the other hand, Republicans love their Coors Light and favor Sam Adams, which is brewed just a few miles away from Romney campaign headquarters and whose namesake was an original tea partier.

Click the first link up top to see Hotline’s complete chart, which includes Democratic favorites too. I screencapped the Republican quadrant below. The vertical axis represents turnout and the horizontal axis represents the spread between Republican and Democratic preferences for any given brand. Which means, technically, that Sam isn’t necessarily Republicans’ favorite; it’s just that, for whatever reason, Republicans like it considerably more than Democrats do. In theory, righties could be rating it 35 out of 100 while lefties are giving it 0, whereas with, say, Fosters, the GOP/Dem rating split could be 100/99. It’s more accurate to say that Sam inspires the strongest GOP skew. Anyway:

For comparison purposes, here’s the complete chart as of six months ago:

Semi-serious question, guys: What’s with the light beers? Nearly all of them that appear in both charts are on the Republican side of the ledger. Not sure how to read that. Are we more weight-conscious than Dems or, for unfathomable reasons, do many of us just prefer weak beer? I can deal with Bud Platinum because it’s a relatively high ABV for a light, but … Amstel Light? Really? Good lord, people. Who’s the RINO now?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

BlaxPac on September 28, 2012 at 12:24 AM

yep

Cigarette butts and all???????????????????????????

JPeterman on September 28, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Uhrg, kid flashback because of my Uncle Luke.

Nite all.

hawkdriver on September 28, 2012 at 12:28 AM

coldwarrior on September 28, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Ill teach you how to rip apart brews and wine!

You teach me tricks of your former or current trade

blatantblue on September 28, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Nite, Hawk…

Gotta be running off here myself, soon.

Next week at this time I’ll be in an antiseptic environment surrounded by all sorts of folks who will be looking to examine, cut out/off body parts, radiate and flush chemicals all through me…and I think I finally figured out why.

That whole frat years, college days, early Army beer drinking, womanizing, day-old pizza eating lifestyle.

But…was it worth it?

Ohh, yeah….sure was.

Sympathy? If you must…try this.

:-)

coldwarrior on September 28, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Anyone remember Southern Comfort beer?

Never got to taste one: but kinda remember seeing the can somewhere, probably relatives place.

Always remembered it because it was the last canned brew i knew of you needed a church key for…they still had the zip-tops and only a few years later they introduced those stupid “diet soda” tabs we got now.

Yeah yeah, i know “Better for environment…”blah blah….lol

BlaxPac on September 28, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Nite, BB…

If I told you. I’d have to…well…we’ll discuss it over a beer or two.

coldwarrior on September 28, 2012 at 12:36 AM

coldwarrior on September 28, 2012 at 12:35 AM

You Lived Large my friend. I wish you good luck and tidings for next week.

hawkdriver on September 28, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Nite Hawk…

BlaxPac on September 28, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Rednecks drink lite beers and either Crown or Jack almost exclusively.

JollyRoger on September 28, 2012 at 12:39 AM

BlaxPac on September 28, 2012 at 12:35 AM

No, but “Hop’n Gator” was a blast back in the day…Gator Aid and Beer, made by Iron City..tasted horrible but you got wasted fast fast fast.

coldwarrior on September 28, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Good news: Sam Adams replaces Michelob Ultra as Republicans’ favorite beer

F#ckin-A.

Michelob-Ultra?? – Must be Bohner and Snowe ballot-box stuffing. The Beer of RINO’s.

Tim_CA on September 28, 2012 at 12:40 AM

coldwarrior on September 28, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Ugh, sounds like the “Malt Liqour” craze.

I cannot SEE how any human being can drink that stuff and still want to consider themselves homo-sapiens.

Then again, I feel that way about Corona too. Blech.

BlaxPac on September 28, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Nite, BB…
If I told you. I’d have to…well…we’ll discuss it over a beer or two.
coldwarrior on September 28, 2012 at 12:36 AM

One day!
My email is on the previous page

blatantblue on September 28, 2012 at 12:44 AM

In this house, we brew our own beer, thankyouveddymuch.

Bob's Kid on September 28, 2012 at 1:07 AM

In this house, we brew our own beer, thankyouveddymuch.
Bob’s Kid on September 28, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Do you add acid at all?

blatantblue on September 28, 2012 at 1:13 AM

No Guinness? I guess people dont know good beer when they taste it.

Logboy on September 28, 2012 at 1:13 AM

No, we don’t, to our beer or our mead. The yeast does a fine job lowering the pH all by itself, usually. Although we have added acidified malt to a Guinness-like stout that we bottled last weekend.

I don’t drink it, but I love to make it, and my friends love me for that. :)

Bob's Kid on September 28, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I’m a wine person myself, but the men in my family prefer Blue Moon, Shock Top, MGD, and my Dad likes Coors Light. My husband is also now into micro-brewed hefeweisen.

They prefer not to have to chew their beer.

Common Sense on September 28, 2012 at 1:29 AM

They prefer not to have to chew their beer.

Common Sense on September 28, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Shock top is great, where was it on the list?

netster007x on September 28, 2012 at 1:30 AM

No PBR on here, as a couple of others noticed. Weak.

robertlbryant on September 28, 2012 at 3:51 AM

I was wondering how long it would take for conservatives to stop drinking a beer named after MICHELle OBama.

Shy Guy on September 28, 2012 at 3:59 AM

I’m not even on that scale, but somewhere in an unmapped quadrant way up and to the right.

AP: Sam Adams is what I drink when I want to drink a light beer, and is without question my favorite American beer. Bud and Bud Light are just preprocessed urine.

As a tribute to our Cold War victory, I generally prefer to drink Russian beers, which are typically 9-13% ABV. I get mine from Red Square Deli in Tampa. I drink less of it though since Comrade Barry was elected, and Pooty Poot took charge again. A boycott of sorts.

And by the way, when I want or need to relate to RINOs, I prefer Scotch straight up at a bar, or Long Island Iced Tea at a cocktail party. ;)

bobcalco on September 28, 2012 at 6:54 AM

I prefer diet A&W Root Beer, especially in a frosty mug. Beer is horrible, as is most alcohol.

Baerwulf on September 28, 2012 at 7:04 AM

I drink my own homebrew as much as possible, but when I’m out and feeling rich, I’ve started swilling down Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Newcastle Brown Ale. For a stout it’s Murphy’s . . . hands down better than Guinness. When I’m “short of coin” I’ll drink Yuengling Black and Tan . . . which is actually decent beer, especially for the price.
As for Bud/Miller/Coors, my p!ss, after a few of the above mentioned probably has more flavor.

tpitman on September 28, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Semi-serious question, guys: What’s with the light beers?

Light beer is what you drink when you want a beer or seven but don’t want to get drunk.

Gatsu on September 28, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Who’s the RINO now?

LOL

I’m a new castle girl

give me an amber beer anytime

cmsinaz on September 28, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Y’all are missing the big reason, it’s September and Sam Adams has their Octoberfest beer our and it’s one of the best.

bflat879 on September 28, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Wow, my typical pilsner is not on there, Stella Artois.

And, for light, I would go with Coors, too.

Perhaps all the light beer on the R side is due to more R women drinking beer.

so-notbuyingit on September 28, 2012 at 7:33 AM

A thread on beer, of all things? Blech!

I’m no fan of beer but, I must admit, Sam Adams is pretty much the best brew out there.

Liam on September 28, 2012 at 7:36 AM

I was really partial to Old Dominion. But they sold their brewery. Not the same now.

Sam Adams is good.

TerryW on September 28, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Much love for Sammy here. Of course, their Octoberfest is delightful, but I had the pleasure of sampling their Chocolate Bock not too long ago. I sorely need to track down a case.

“Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy.”

ZK on September 28, 2012 at 8:49 AM

“In Vino Veritas, In Cervesio Felicitas”

coldwarrior on September 28, 2012 at 9:02 AM

A thread on beer, of all things? Blech!

Liam on September 28, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Sam Adams is good but nowhere near the best.

Nick_Angel on September 28, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Favorite American:
Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
Stone Arrogant Bastard
Victory Moonglow Weizenbock
Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter
Sam Adams Winter Lager

Favorite Imports:
Chimay Blue
Schneider Aventinus
Rochefort 10
Franziskaner Dunkel Weiss
Guinness

Nick_Angel on September 28, 2012 at 9:47 AM

What’s with the light beers?

Transparency!

Electrongod on September 27, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Heh.

Tim_CA on September 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Nick_Angel is a man after my own heart. I consider a good Hefeweitzen as the only only example of a light beer that I will drink, unless I am dying of thirst and nothing else is available. I also like to try most all IPAs that I run across, and I try to experiment with other unique Stouts and Porters as I occasionally get tired of Guinness.

srone on September 28, 2012 at 11:06 AM

coldwarrior on September 28, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Good luck CW. I elected to do my quadruple bypass a few weeks ago while I still had and liked my insurance. I’m assured my heart will be in good shape for the next 50 years till I die of old age. Now I’m fit to gird up and face the chaos to come.

Think I’ll celebrate with my fave, christall weissen. Otherwise Sam Adams always works for me or Coors light if I’m just sipping without wanting the buzz.

AH_C on September 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Boulevard Wheat here in KC.

null on September 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I’m a Sam Adams and Blue Moon kinda chick, so I’m pleased to see that my choices are in line with fellow Republicans. But dammit, won’t someone please admit that Coors tastes like beer-flavored water? I can’t stomach that weak swill, no matter how much the Coors family gives to the party.

Liberty 5-3001 on September 28, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Gatsu on September 28, 2012 at 7:17 AM

My brother in law calls these “time wasters.”

JRCash on September 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM

A thread on beer, of all things? Blech!

Liam on September 28, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Or, “I know absolutely nothing about art, but can categorically say that Monet is the best evah!”

Amigo, I’m sorry to say that you might have a little credibility issue, here.

JRCash on September 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I’m guessing that Shiner Bock isn’t on here because it’s so far off in the right margin that it didn’t print correctly.

JRCash on September 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Shiner Bock – an excellent brew. I notice there are no really good bears, not a single porter, or any dark beer. No reds either. Looks like a chart of beer for girly men to me.

woodNfish on September 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM

srone on September 28, 2012 at 11:06 AM

This +1000

True that Guinness is not the be-all, end-all of stouts, but it is a classic go-to beer.
I started drinking the good stuff about nine years ago, and I am lucky enough to live near Philly…
Now, many people will not understand that last comment, but in the context of beer, it is appropriate. Philly has one of the better beer/brewpub scenes in the country.

Nick_Angel on September 28, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Think Wisconsin boys and girls. Anything Leinenkugel.

Carnac on September 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I find it more interesting that Heineken is a Dem favorite. Even the dark lager is unfortunate–hardly ever see it, for good reason, imo. (I am a beer snob; I blame that on drinking from a small glass. Makes a huge difference for me.)

My personal philosophy on beer is: “if you can see through it, send it back!” Narrows the field quite a bit, but I will make exceptions if the situation calls for it, or my only other option is, say, Guinness. It’s alright for cooking, but then most are. It also makes an interesting milkshake. I tried something the other day (Clown Shoes, I think?) that was just nasty, but rather than waste the remainder, I used it for a quick lentils and sausage dish. Turned out excellent.

The only American beverage I really enjoy so far (aside from a few periodically available at the Dodging Duck in Boerne) is Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout, but it’s not consistently available. My current favorite is Xingu Black Beer (Brazillian), which has been popping up everywhere lately, but my spouse and I both love San Miguel Dark. It’s even less consistent availability, however, so our fall-back is Spaten Optimator, though it’s better on tap. I’m also partial to Hobgoblin. Good stuff.

Sam Adams also has an oatmeal stout, and I really tried to like it. It did make a nice chocolate cake.

VerbumSap on September 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

When it was available many moons ago I liked and consumed: Molson’s Golden Ale. Brewed near Heaven, consumed by mear mortals.
Can’t find it anywhere anymore. Bummer.
Interestingly about the time it became unavailable, Rolling Rock showed up on the shelves at Walgreens. Brewed in the Glass Lined Tanks of Old Latrobe. Connection or coincidence?
Ah, well, I drink Steel City now. Brewed in Texas. Get a few of these in you and you’re ready to get some flying lessons from a wild horse.

Missilengr on September 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM

An “American Craft Brews” choice in the survey would have been nice – and might have scored a dot on the chart.

They’re every bit as good (although highly varied in taste) as good Eurobrews. Mass produced stuff is all crap.

krome on September 28, 2012 at 5:06 PM