Video: New Romney ad hits Obama on economy, the poor, and middle class erosion

posted at 2:01 pm on September 26, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Team Romney and the RNC have begun taking up Barack Obama’s challenge about the poor and middle class — and are unrolling a new effort to point out Obama’s failure to improve the economy as needed for both to progress.  Romney talks directly into the camera in this new 60-second spot, telling voters that while both candidates care about the poor and middle class, one of them has failed in four years to do anything significant to help either.  More Americans now live in poverty than when the Obama recovery began, Romney says, and 15 million more people have become dependent on food stamps.  “We shouldn’t measure compassion by how many people are on welfare,” Romney says.  “We should measure compassion by how many people get off welfare and get a good-paying job.”

“Too many Americans are struggling to find work in today’s economy. Too many of those that are working are living paycheck to paycheck, trying to make falling incomes meeting rising prices for food and gas,” says Romney in the ad. “More Americans are living in poverty than when President Obama took office, and 15 million more are on food stamps.”

“President Obama and I both care about poor and middle class families, the difference is my policies will make things better for them,” Romney continues. …

In his new ad, Romney concludes by touting his economic policies.

“My plan will create 12 million new jobs over the next four years, helping to lift families out of poverty and strengthening the middle class,” he says. “I’m Mitt Romney and I approve this message because we can’t afford another four years like the last four years.”

Meanwhile, Barack Obama visits Kent State University in Ohio today, the first time in four years.  The RNC sent out an e-mail that highlighted Obama’s speech in 2008 complaining about the decline in median household income and other indicators for the middle class — and compared it to Obama’s performance as President, especially in Ohio:

FLASHBACK: When Obama Last Visited Kent State University As A Candidate, He Lamented The Fact That Incomes Had Declined By $2,000 And The National Debt Had Increased By $4 Trillion. OBAMA: “When Bill Clinton was president, the average family income went up $7,500; $7,500. Since George Bush has been president, you know what it’s done? It’s gone down $2,000. Think about that. That’s a $9,500 swing; $9,500. That’s money out of your pocket. That’s money going out of this country because we’re borrowing it from China to send to Saudi Arabia to buy oil. That’s what’s added $4 trillion to our deficit. I mean, think about that. You know, so we’ve created a mountain of debt for the next generation that they’re going to have to pay off. This little guy, he’s not too worried about it right now, but, you know, we’ve created $30,000 worth of debt for every man, woman and child in America. That’s going to have to be paid back.” (President Barack Obama, Remarks At Kent State University, New Philadelphia, OH, 9/3/08)

Under Obama, Median Household Income In Ohio Has Declined By $4,387, From $50,136 To $45,749. (U.S. Census Bureau, Accessed 9/26/12)

In 2010, Ohio Households Were “Poorer” Than They Had Been In More Than 25 Years. “Ohio households were poorer last year than they’ve been in more than 25 years, and the number of people living in poverty is higher than it’s been in more than 30 years, according to a census report released yesterday.” (Bill Bush, “Median Income In Ohio Hits 27-Year Low,” Columbus Dispatch, 9/14/12)

“The Inflation-Adjusted Figure Hasn’t Been Lower For Ohio Since Officials Began Keeping That Record In 1984, Census Officials Said.” (Bill Bush, “Median Income In Ohio Hits 27-Year Low,” Columbus Dispatch, 9/14/12)

The Republican campaign really needs to hammer on these data points, especially in Ohio and Florida, but also throughout the Rust Belt.  We’re going to hear a lot of soft-hearted — and soft-headed — arguments about Romney’s wealth and his lack of connection to the poor and middle class from media analysts.  Voters need to see the direction in which Obama has taken both the poor and middle class in three-plus years of recovery.  This ad is a good start, especially with Romney speaking directly to voters about these issues.  He needs to do more talking over the heads of the media and spend that cash advantage to get his message across.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

It’s getting to the point where I just want to yell – shut up, shut up, shut up.

Romney is far from perfect but I’ll crawl over broken glass in a blizzard to vote for him.

gophergirl on September 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I’m with you 100%!! Let’s have an election!! If we lose (and we won’t) we can sort it out then!! I’m not going to be bluffed or psyched out of voting and I know millions of others won’t be either!! Enough of this whiny BS of defeatism!!

Marco on September 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Still need the movable people in the middle to get him over the top. And Romney has failed to make the case why Obama’s policies are bad and his are good to this group. I think this ad is a good first step (linking Obama to back economics), but he needs to do more. A lot more.

besser tot als rot on September 26, 2012 at 5:04 PM

N

o, you’re supposed to eat your own shite for four more years and enjoy your next ten marxist presidents, and the status of zimbabwe :)…I just realize now that you are part of that brain dead electorate that I was mentioning in my post…and yes, Schade is right, imbeciles like you deserve Obama…I am only sorry for those amazingly hard working people who will be reduced to pauperity for no fault of their own…they will have you, idiots, to thank….

jimver on September 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM

No it’s imbeciles like you who gave us Obama. Imbeciles like you who have told us over and over again that we must support the moderate republican RINO squish in order to win. I even heard this throughout the 1980 campaign that only Bush, the moderate could beat Carter(Yeah I was alive then and voted in that election). We’ve heard it the last 2 years with the GOP in charge of the House as they gave Obama everything he wanted. So yeah I’ll hold my nose and vote for Romney but I’m under no illusions about where he’ll take us.

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Sorry, I live way north and so not am eligible to vote in this election. But I sure will enjoy watching PM Harper and President Romney in their first official meeting next year.

Mitsouko on September 26, 2012 at 4:52 PM

You sure you don’t want to swap with one of our idiot HR residents who don’t even understand what voting is all about, and come vote on our side of the border? :) and btw, I don’t know why but I always saw Harper and Romney as very similar types of politicians, even the looks to some extent :)… I think they could put together a heck of an energy policy that would benefit both countries for decades to come…anyways, hat off to your PM…my mother in law is Canadian (lived in the US for 30 years) and she is telling all her American friends that Harper is the best PM Canada had since Trudeau :)…now, she’s French Canadian and she’s got an excuse :)..

jimver on September 26, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Great article here on Catholic Bishops views of Ryan vs Biden and their concern for the poor etc.

Vince on September 26, 2012 at 5:13 PM

N

jimver on September 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Exactly, idiots like jimver want us ruled by the kind of over-educated, common-sense free statist idiots of the type generated by the École Normale Supérieure in France, They spit on Bastiat and all that he represents, just as jimver does.

ebrown2 on September 26, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Listen here newtopia, Steveangell, bgibbs1000 and Flapjackmaka.

Would you be willing to cut us a deal?

- If Romney loses you can tell us all about it until we turn purple.

- If Romney wins you go away forever and leave us alone.

Could you man-up to that deal?

NapaConservative on September 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Why can’t Romney make distinctions without throwing in platitudes towards Obama? If he’s trying to making a distinction then MAKE IT without giving the other candidate free positive press.

I think the distinction is obvious. Obama NEVER has anything nice to say about his opponents and often goes out of his way to caricature them in the most ham handed way possible. He comes off as an obnoxious jerk and plenty of indendent voters notice it. In contrast Romney displays a very Reaganesque quality by being firmly critical but friendly at the same time. A lot of independents like that about him. The Romney campaign should carpet bomb ads just like this all the way to Nov 6.

RobertE on September 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Haha, and what were your ultra con side super candidates, Santorum, Cain, Gingrich loool :)… Indeed, great choices…gawd, some people are really and irrecuperably dumb….

jimver on September 26, 2012 at 5:17 PM

RobertE on September 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Obama’s winning, Romney’s losing. The platitudes are not working. And Romney display’s nothing even close to Reaganesque. He’s more like George Bush #1, another pathetic RINO loser who betrayed the Reagan revolution.

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM

this “sky is falling” mantra here is getting to me…

sandee on September 26, 2012 at 2:31 PM

AMEN – it’s ruining this place. Constant complaining and negativity – that’s all it is.

gophergirl on September 26, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Especially when most of them don’t know what the hell they’re talking about.

“It’s just a web ad, what difference will it make…blah, blah, blah.”

Some 74% of internet users–representing 55% of the entire adult population–went online in 2008 to get involved in the political process or to get news and information about the election. This marks the first time that a Pew Internet & American Life Project survey has found that more than half of the voting-age population used the internet to get involved in the political process during an election year.

Several online activities rose to prominence in 2008. In particular, Americans were eager to share their views on the race with others and to take part in the online debate on social media sites such as blogs and social networking sites. Among the key findings of our survey:

Nearly one in five (18%) internet users posted their thoughts, comments or questions about the campaign on an online forum such as a blog or social networking site.

Fully 45% of internet users went online to watch a video related to the campaign.

One in three internet users forwarded political content to others. Indeed, the sharing of political content (whether writing and commentary or audio and video clips) increased notably over the course of the 2008 election cycle. While young adults led the way in many political activities, seniors were highly engaged in forwarding political content to their friends and family members.

Young voters continued to engage heavily in the political debate on social networking sites. Fully 83% of those age 18-24 have a social networking profile, and two-thirds of young profile owners took part in some form of political activity on these sites in 2008.

The relative importance of the internet also continued to grow within the overall political media ecosystem. Among the entire population (internet users and non-users alike) the internet is now equal to newspapers and roughly twice as important as radio as a source of election news and information. Among internet users and young adults, these differences are even more magnified.

Additionally, online political news consumers are delving deeply into the long tail of online political content–nearly half of online political news consumers visited five or more distinct types of online news sites this election cycle. However, this deeper involvement may change the way voters view online news content. Voters are increasingly moving away from news sites with no point of view, and towards sites that match their own political viewpoints–and this is especially true of those who delve deepest into the world of online political content. Source

Flora Duh on September 26, 2012 at 5:22 PM

No it’s imbeciles like you who gave us Obama. Imbeciles like you who have told us over and over again that we must support the moderate republican RINO squish(Yeah I was alive then and voted in that election). …. So yeah I’ll hold my nose and vote for Romney.
bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

This statement is so full of funny.

Mitsouko on September 26, 2012 at 5:22 PM

ebrown2 on September 26, 2012 at 5:13 PM

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

jimver on September 26, 2012 at 5:17 PM

It took less than 5 minutes for my point to be completely vindicated.

ebrown2 on September 26, 2012 at 5:28 PM

All these Romney ads that I never see. Ok I’m not in a swing state, but I see all the Obama ads on Romney’s taxes and China positions on shows televised nationally.

Wigglesworth on September 26, 2012 at 5:29 PM

jimver on September 26, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Yes, Romney and Harper are cut from the same cloth. They are good men with an extraordinary grasp of economic fundamentals.

They both support Israel as well, so it would be a trifecta of awesome with the two of them and Bibi telling Imadinnerjacket where to stuff it.

Mitsouko on September 26, 2012 at 5:31 PM

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

This statement is so full of funny.

Mitsouko on September 26, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Cute out of context quoting.

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Don’t know if it has been mentioned, but heard that this ad is running in all swing states

ConservativePartyNow on September 26, 2012 at 5:34 PM

ebrown2 on September 26, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I don’t think I could have written a more pretentious statement if I tried. Well, maybe if I wrote it in French.

Mitsouko on September 26, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Fret not. Romney/Ryan will win the election in a landslide. For most people, even Reagan wasn’t Reagan when he was first elected.

RobertE on September 26, 2012 at 5:38 PM

ConservativePartyNow on September 26, 2012 at 5:34 PM

shhh, don’t tell them, you’ll ruin one of their favorite talking points.

Flora Duh on September 26, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Cute out of context quoting.

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Full context doesn’t change anything though. You say you voted for Rino squishes and then called everyone an imbecile for voting for Rino squishes. Then you concede you are voting for someone you still consider a Rino squish. I just find that funny.

Mitsouko on September 26, 2012 at 5:40 PM

- If Romney wins you go away forever and leave us alone.

Could you man-up to that deal?

NapaConservative on September 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM

uh huh sure

Flapjackmaka on September 26, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Mitsouko on September 26, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Well I forgive you for out of context quoting since you obviously cannot read as I never once said who I voted for only that I will vote for Romney.

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Mitsouko on September 26, 2012 at 5:37 PM

It’s nice to see a flat and open admission of willful stupidity by a Rombot. Once you’re through channeling Boy Bib, be sure and clean up after yourself, OK?

ebrown2 on September 26, 2012 at 5:47 PM

damn the ofa’ers are going full alinsky. what should we do?

guess I’ll be voting democrat the rest of my life…

tom daschle concerned on September 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM

ebrown2 on September 26, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Is that a gay thing? A hipster thing? Am I stupid for not being able to write a pretentious statement?

Please, oh sarky one, enlighten us.

Mitsouko on September 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Dude, if you voted for Carter then (doubtful, since you are a true conservative), and are voting for Romney now even as you call him a Rino Squish, that is still funny!

Mitsouko on September 26, 2012 at 5:56 PM

This just shows how idiotic and short sighted Stevie is. Wouldn’t you think he’d *want* Romney to win in order to have four years of possible gloating when Romney goes full RINO?
kim roy on September 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I will be so glad come Nov 7 when all these people that only know how to attack with the f word and such are gone. Man get a grip someone uses the f word when they lose an argument.

Steveangell on September 26, 2012 at 3:41 PM

??? You don’t like the word “full”?

kim roy on September 26, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Sorry (not really) to ruin your perfectly good misrepresentation of about 90% of the posters here.

kim roy on September 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Hey, no problem. But thanks for a) largely agreeing with me, yet b) mischaracterizing a single point as though it was the entire thing.

You’ll note I didn’t say 90% of the posters here are Mittbots. So… who is mischaracterizing whom?

Midas on September 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Then who the heck is “we”? The mouse in your pocket? You’re going to be drinking the bitter tears of the Mittbots? All four or five of them? Hope you had a snack beforehand.

I did not mischaracterize your screed at all – it was one of superiority because you are voting Romney oh so reluctantly as you are so much better than this. Well, sunshine, you aren’t and I’m so very very tired of people like you jamming burs up your butt when life isn’t as perfect as you like and you have to make an unpleasant decision.

So put on your big boy pants like the rest of us have and pull the attitude bur out of your butt. You are no better than anyone else here and no more “informed” of what the future will hold.

kim roy on September 26, 2012 at 6:04 PM

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Tell ya what. When you get control of the media and start up that effort to begin a viable third party with hardcore conservatives or clean up the GOP let us know and we’ll help.

Otherwise, you are one of the “imbeciles”.

It takes time to change the system. The last two years have been promising, but it takes a wee bit more than two years to overcome the indoctrination that has been allowed by the left for the last 40 years.

But when you actually do something substantial to back your words, get back to us.

kim roy on September 26, 2012 at 6:08 PM

From today’s WSJ, now Mitt is backpedaling on his tax cut:

Ohio—After months on the trail touting a major across-the-board tax cut, Mitt Romney told an Ohio crowd not to look forward to a “huge cut in taxes.”

“I want to bring the rates down,” Mr. Romney said at a rally here Wednesday, but “don’t be expecting a huge cut in taxes, because I’m also going to lower deductions and exemptions.” The Republican presidential nominee appeared to acknowledge Wednesday that the tax-rate cut of 20% he promised for all Americans wouldn’t provide as much relief as some may have hoped.

President Barack Obama, also campaigning in Ohio, pounced on the …

Mitt really wants to lose.

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 6:08 PM

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Still the parrot. Nothing new with you. If Obama wins he is all yours.

CW on September 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Our side blew it yesterday with the failure to report on and praise Mitt’s brilliant speech to the Clinton Global Initiative. Your constant attacks are merely annoying. The failure of our pundits to stand up for Mitt is disturbing.

Basilsbest on September 26, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I listened to that entire speech. You are right that Mitt Romney gave a great speech there. He praised hugely this program. You know the Clinton Program. You remember Clinton the impeached Democrat President.

But Mitt gave a great speech because that is where Mitt is. Mitt is very Moderate far more in line with Clinton than the base. He always speaks with ease among moderate to very Democratic crowds. That is where he is comfortable.

Mitt is just in the wrong Party. We are NOT the party that gives billions to dictatorships (354 million to Haiti alone) to make them successful. Most likely why this was not highlighted.

Steveangell on September 26, 2012 at 4:02 PM

The fact Mitt went into enemy territory to deliver his proposal to peacefully change the Middle East with an economic freedom agenda with aid tied to trade and the rule of law made it more impressive, not less.

Not everything Clinton has done is wrong or perceived as wrong by the majority of the country. I don’t like Clinton but my dislike of him does not blind me to this reality – as it apparently blinds you.

And it’s you who is in the wrong party – assuming you are a Republican. Aren’t you a Libertarian?

Basilsbest on September 26, 2012 at 6:12 PM

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

) so now you’re saying that you don’t have a brain of your own and you need somebody to tell who to vote for?? You know, you really are pathetic, if you can’t even take responsibility for your own political choices and candidates…and mind you, idiot, I couldn’t have possibly told you over and over again who to vote for in 1980, coz I was a 1 year old French baby, pretty much…and honestly my interest in the US elections is rather recent, we moved here from fhe UK in 2008 and I didn’t vote in the last elections…so, no idea what you are blabbering about…

jimver on September 26, 2012 at 6:12 PM

RobertE on September 26, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Yep. Hollywood liberal! Union member! Mutiple wives! Grade-B actor! Too rich!

slickwillie2001 on September 26, 2012 at 6:18 PM

The new 1 minute ad is running in all swing state markets – direct report from Boston. So presumably it has been focus-tested.

It signals to me that Romney intends to hit Obama hard in the debate; and doesn’t want a harsh ramp up to the debate; he wants an audience that will listen.

I don’t like the soft approach, but Romney doesn’t need my vote.

matthew8787 on September 26, 2012 at 6:19 PM

jimver on September 26, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I see they don’t teach reading comprehension where you come from or is your mind just not capable of it?

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 6:20 PM

That poll that only 54% like either candidate down from 72% in 2008 is deadly to Mitt’s chances.

Steveangell on September 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Seems to me that such a poll would rather be much more deadly to Obama’s chances. Republicans be will voting this November in strong numbers just like in 2010 — they dislike Obama and his cronies that much. Sure, not all will be enamored with Romney, but they’ll still be voting for him. The big question is whether Democrats will actually bother to vote. In phone polls it’s very easy to say you’ll vote for Obama, but another matter entirely to drag your lazy butt down to the polling station and actually cast a vote for someone who has long lost his luster.

If turnout shifts back to looking more like 2004 than 2008, Obama is toast. Obama and the media is desperately trying to convince us that this November is 2008 on steroids, but anyone with more than two braincells knows reality is much different this time around. How much different is the big question.

I honestly don’t know if Romney will win, but I’m optimistic that Romney can indeed win if what my own common sense and intuition tells me about the electorate this November is correct.

mpthompson on September 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Am I going to move my family to fricking Australia or New Zealand?

Have you heard some of the CBO numbers that Levin is talking about?

Obama is ahead by 25 points among women voters in Ohio!!!!!

Lord God this nation is finished if this man gets re-elected.

And yeah yeah I know………but think about the disaster this guy is and how it doesn’t seem to matter. The Republican Party appears to be completely without backbone to fix this and the media is helping to finish this country off too.

PappyD61 on September 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Obama made a major gaffe today in Ohio, claiming he wakes up every day hoping to “outsource jobs” — he meant “export products.”

Obama then tried to recover saying that he was channeling his opponent.

Romney should hit back hard: NO, you were finally channeling the truth, the reality of your own asinine policies.

matthew8787 on September 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I really wish he would ditch that awful “I will create 12 million jobs” line. He might be able to do that, but its the most unconvincing claim either. Why 12 million? Why not 15 million? Where the hell did the number come from? Is he just going to will them into existence with the sheer force of his non-Obamaness? (Though admittedly, simply electing a president who isn’t Obama might very well be enough to create a number of jobs just by businesses not being terrified of the government anymore.)

I can’t imagine how anyone who isn’t firmly in his camp would believe a blind claim like that.

How about “according to policy institute X or respected economist Y or CBO report Z, my plan will create 12 million new jobs”, or just drop the number and/or say “I have a detailed job creation plan on my website” – at least give the viewer something other than “cause I said so”.

RINO in Name Only on September 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM

From today’s WSJ, now Mitt is backpedaling on his tax cut:

President Barack Obama, also campaigning in Ohio, pounced on the …

Mitt really wants to lose.

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 6:08 PM

That’s exactly what we need, and exactly what he did in Mass.
Deductions and credits are just more spending through the IRS, and the only real tax cuts are tax rate cuts.
Obama got it exactly backward, actually. He claims credits are tax cuts, and keeping the marginal tax rate low is spending.

Count to 10 on September 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM

DEJA VU!!! It’s looking like 2008 all over again.

The real fire in the belly TO BEAT THE **** out of the opposition is coming from the freaking VEEP!!!

Okay, we’re down to 42 days till the election.

Day 42 lost.

PappyD61 on September 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM

He might be able to do that, but its the most unconvincing claim eitherever.

RINO in Name Only on September 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM

RINO in Name Only on September 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Everyone here must recognize that defeating ANY incumbent president is serious, difficult and expensive business; especially one protected and adored by the MSM.

That said, Romney’s current drop in the polls is not just due to the 47 percent gaffe (and it was awful) but also due to the pabulum served at the GOP convention.

The american people need constant reminder of the connection between Obama’s policies and ideology and the results that follow. This was not well served at the RNC convention.

The people will snap out of this funk if Romney would simply play hard ball.

matthew8787 on September 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Vince on September 26, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Thanks for posting the link

workingclass artist on September 26, 2012 at 6:32 PM

FAIL.

Why do Republicans continually give kudos to the left, in this case, Romney stating that Barack cares about the poor? What in the hell is wrong with the GOP?

madmonkphotog on September 26, 2012 at 6:34 PM

That’s exactly what we need, and exactly what he did in Mass.

Count to 10 on September 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM

It might be what we need and I won’t disagree, but it’s not how the next Obama commercial will spin it nor how it will be reported by Obama’s allies in the media.

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Romney? Where have I heard that name? Didn’t he run for President once? Haven’t seen him lately.

faraway on September 26, 2012 at 6:35 PM

President Barack Obama, also campaigning in Ohio, pounced on the …

Mitt really wants to lose.

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Way to really sell your plan, Mitt. Jeebus. If these are the details of your plans and how you’ll present them, I guess … just stick with your ads that sound like your plan is to find a genie lamp and make 12 million jobs one of your three wishes.

besser tot als rot on September 26, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Count to 10 on September 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Romney is making this same assumption:

besser tot als rot on September 26, 2012 at 6:38 PM

RINO in Name Only on September 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Obama could retort: My plan is to create 24 million jobs. Double what Romney plans to do. You decide which plan you think is better.

besser tot als rot on September 26, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Here is a small portion from a speech that someone gave back in 2008; look at how utterly prophetic this speech and these words are.
from a speech at the 2008 convention, Sarah Palin

I’ve noticed a pattern with our opponent.Maybe you have,too. We’ve all heard his dramatic speeches before devoted followers. And there is much to like and admire about our opponent.But listening to him speak, it’s easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform – not even in the state senate. This is a man who can give an entire speech about the wars America is fighting, and never use the word “victory” except when he’s talking about his own campaign. But when the cloud of rhetoric has passed … when the roar of the crowd fades away … when the stadium lights go out, and those Styrofoam Greek columns are hauled back to some studio lot – what exactly is our opponent’s plan? What does he actually seek to accomplish, after he’s done turning back the waters and healing the planet? The answer is to make government bigger … take more of your money … give you more orders from Washington … and to reduce the strength of America in a dangerous world. America needs more energy … our opponent is against producing it. Victory in Iraq is finally in sight … he wants to forfeit.Terrorist states are seeking nuclear weapons without delay … he wants to meet them without preconditions. Al Qaeda terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America … he’s worried that someone won’t read them their rights? Government is too big … he wants to grow it. Congress spends too much … he promises more. Taxes are too high … he wants to raise them. His tax increases are the fine print in his economic plan, and let me be specific.The Democratic nominee for president supports plans to raise income taxes … raise payroll taxes … raise investment income taxes … raise the death tax … raise business taxes … and increase the tax burden on the American people by hundreds of billions of dollars. ..snip ..

and later that same speech …

My fellow citizens, the American presidency is not supposed to be a journey of “personal discovery.” This world of threats and dangers is not just a community, and it doesn’t just need an organizer.

dazed_in_oh on September 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Well, the media says Obama’s winning, and some of their polls say so, but the only poll that counts is the one in November. We all have to stay strong and vote Romney/Ryan to have any chance of defeating Obama, his mendacious media minions and Democrat voter fraud machinery in order to restore prosperity.

talkingpoints on September 26, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Try hanging p.iss Mo next to p.iss Christ

I have an even more outrageous idea… try hanging p.iss Obama next to p.iss Christ. Their cultists would behead everyone in sight. And that’s just the media.

faraway on September 26, 2012 at 6:48 PM

dazed_in_oh on September 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Sad she’s not the nominee. The GOP establishment aided and abetted the democrats in marginalizing her.

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM

That speech by Palin……BECAUSE SHE MEANT IT!!…….led the gop ticket to a SIX point lead over Obama-Biden!

THAT is what we need but we’ve apparently nominated Bob Dole again.

Sorry folks, it’s looking like Stephanie Cutter is right.

Women just care about Michelle’s toned arms, and loooooove Barry and his smile.

…….according to 90% of the media.

PappyD61 on September 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM

besser tot als rot on September 26, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Nah, that’s the trouble with being the incumbent. Obama can’t promise a thing without getting destroyed by the “why haven’t you done it already?” attack.

But Romney still needs to give some indication that the number comes from somewhere – even if he says it’s detailed on his website, he needs to assert that he has actually obtained the 12 million number through some reasonable process. I imagine he probably does have some figures somewhere on his website, but he needs to cite something in the ad itself or it just sounds like he pulled a random number out of nowhere.

RINO in Name Only on September 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM

RINO in Name Only on September 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I’ve seen Obama ads talking about the jobs that have been created on his watch (what did he allege? 4.5M or something, I think.) He blames the lack of more on Bush. Which is why, I’ve said, Romney needs to pin the anemic recover on Obama and Obama’s policies.

besser tot als rot on September 26, 2012 at 6:54 PM

and later that same speech …

dazed_in_oh on September 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM

And Palin meant every word. Why does Romney keep calling Obama a nice guy? Obama and his surrogates attack Romney in every way possible. Sad…

idesign on September 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 6:20 PM

they do, only in order to comprehend a statement, communication, etc it has to make sense first…and nothing that you wrote there made an iota of sense, even though you were employing your native language (and probably the only language that you speak :)…

jimver on September 26, 2012 at 7:04 PM

idesign on September 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Despite what we all like to think about him, Obama appears to be amiable in person — or a “nice guy”. A lot of people who might be convinced to vote for Romney instead of Obama don’t want to here unsubstantiated invective against Obama as a person. Doing so might make you feel good, but it would chase them back into a straight Democrat ticket.

Count to 10 on September 26, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Count to 10 on September 26, 2012 at 7:06 PM

That’s your opinion. To me someone who is intentionally destroying my country while at the same time openly lying about his intentions is not a nice guy no matter what his appearances are.

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 7:20 PM

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I don’t agree with Romney’s statement, or see why the caveat was necessary, but I’m not that concerned about it as long as he pins the economic failures of the last 3-4 years on Obama.

besser tot als rot on September 26, 2012 at 7:28 PM

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Obama is a fool, not a villain. Everything he does is because he had been mislead into thinking that his actions are for the greater good. His one skill as probably actually his ability to sav-wa fair his way into social groups as a nice guy.

Count to 10 on September 26, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Count to 10 on September 26, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Wrong and because Romney thinks this way also that’s why he is losing.

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 7:39 PM

idesign on September 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Because i believe the deal has be cut where Obama where the GOP E made a deal with the Dem E in which Obama wins reelection and jeb Bush wins in 2016. You are only the pawns in a share power game

Conservative4ev on September 26, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Mitt please DO NOT mention Obama in complimentary tones….in fact dont mention his name at all!! Just please please please tell people specifically how you will make changes that will result in people getting jobs!! You must explain how lifting onerous regulations will free buisinesses to hire people and get the economy going. The polite comments toward O sound way too much like McCain. Please….fight like you did in the primary!!

azconservativegirl on September 26, 2012 at 7:47 PM

azconservativegirl on September 26, 2012 at 7:47 PM
Haven’t seen any fight in him at all the past 2 months but he did fight against the conservatives because the GOP E gave him the job to do it. If you think the debates will be any different your in fantasy world. I can already hear him say how loving a father Obama is, while Obama call him out of touch and for the rich. Game Over

Conservative4ev on September 26, 2012 at 7:50 PM

If you dont think Obama is a villian then you are not listening to his own words! Just yesterday he made a comment at the UN to the effect that world does not need an environment in which the prophet of Islam is ridiculed. Or in one of his own autobiographies where he says “if the winds change I will necessarily side with Muslims.” Research the Muslim Brotherhood…watch Glenn Beck’s expose about “the Project” America is being wounded from the inside by this man!

azconservativegirl on September 26, 2012 at 7:52 PM

NapaConservative on September 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I would hope that freedom of discussion would remain on this site.

I would hope that people would understand that a difference of opinion is nothing personal.

I have nothing but love for those that post here as long as they are expressing their own heart felt views. I understand we all see things differently. That is just the human condition. So What.

Now for the haters here I do not hate you either. I actually do love you as well but I do wish you would be more respectful of those you disagree with.

Political debates get heavy. But the debate is necessary. Mitt had every right to run. But I have every right to not support him. He has no right to demand my vote simply because I am a Republican. Especially seeing how he has treated my heroes like Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann and others. He should have realized that when he locked the Tea Party out of the convention and ignored how they voted there would be a price to pay come November.

Steveangell on September 26, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Have you seen CNN/MSNBC muslima-pundit Mona Eltahawy being arrested for vandalism in the NY subway? Delicious.

rayra on September 26, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Wait…what? Sheesh, if our side is buying into this crap, the election is already over.

Count to 10

And when our side runs around telling everyone what a nice guy he is, we’ve done his work for him.

xblade on September 26, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Stellar ad from Romney.

This is pitch-perfect and very effective.

Love that he is looking into the camera the whole time. He connects well with his eyes.

bluegill on September 26, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Steveangell on September 26, 2012 at 7:53 PM

So then you and the other Obama-supporting Mitt bashers agree to leave this site after Mitt wins? Ok, sounds good to me. A deal is a deal, and we expect you to live up to your end of the bargain. It was nice seeing your delusional posts about how Mitt is supposedly an agent for Satan, etc… but I guess all good things must come to an end.

Best of luck in all you do in the future.

bluegill on September 26, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Listen here newtopia, Steveangell, bgibbs1000 and Flapjackmaka.

[...]
- If Romney wins you go away forever and leave us alone.

Could you man-up to that deal?

NapaConservative on September 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Sounds good to me. The Romney-basher Bgibbs1000 in particular sounds like a braindead 2-year-old who thinks chanting “Obama is a Marxist and you’re all RINO’s” over and over makes him sound so principled. It’s people like the ignorant bgibbs1000 that make it so easy for the left to ridicule conservatives as uneducated, know-nothing boobs. The guy gives this site and conservatives a bad name.

You can also include ddrintn in that bunch, as well. They’ll probably be too depressed to post here after Obama’s loss, anyway.

bluegill on September 26, 2012 at 8:15 PM

If no one’s mentioned it yet, check out the pix Drudge has up.
Hillary’s creepy enough and the others just crack me up.

pambi on September 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM

bluegill on September 26, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Well bluegill why don’t you explain to everyone why Obama is not a marxist and how he is such a nice guy who means well but is just too foolish to know what to do. And since you only have the best interest of Romney and the GOP in your heart why don’t you tell the rest of us just how you believe continued compliments by Romney of Obama will win this election for Romney?

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Listened to FoxNews about how Barry tried to distort a study that study salary between male and female workers without even taking into account how many hours they worked to fan a gender war. What a dishonest and divisive piece of sh!t. Barry is dividing America along income, race, gender and the country will never recover from the rancor. Way to go, what a loser electorate.

bayview on September 26, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Wrong and because Romney thinks this way also that’s why he is losing.

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I don’t know if he’s “losing,” but he certainly isn’t gaining traction or running the kind of campaign necessary to defeat the ongoing media blitz against him.

ebrown2 on September 26, 2012 at 8:34 PM

bayview on September 26, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Yea it works and we never do it. There is no way Mitt wins these debates either, the press will never allowed it. I’m pretty much giving up on Romney, I haven’t seen anything from him. The dole, McCain Ford comment is making me throw in the towel

Conservative4ev on September 26, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Could you man-up to that deal?

Uh-huh. In other words, just shut up until the election is over, and then you can yell about it and tell it to us on November 7th. Of course, we won’t be here that day because we won’t be man enough to face reality…but there’s your deal.

Some deal. And what’s in it for me? Yay, I was right and another four years of O? Sure, that’s what I’ll do…I’ll come back on 11/7 and kick y’all when you’re down. That’s real manly.

If you see a post from me on 11/7, it’ll be…okay, it’s over, let’s make sure we remember this feeling and let’s move on from nominating RINOs at the top of the ticket.

newtopia on September 26, 2012 at 8:40 PM

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhvJDGF21QKfxXUGI3 county poll worker gets caught trying to only register republicans.

Politricks on September 26, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Conservative4ev on September 26, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Dole McCain Ford comment? Don’t believe I’ve heard that. What was it?

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM

You guys really frustrate me. Nothing Mitt does is ever good enough for the HA crowd. The guy simply cannot win with alot of people here.

Mitt is fighting maybe the toughest political battle of all time in American politics. He’s a wealthy, white, Mormon male trying to unseat an incumbent, who just happens to be the “historic”, first black President. The media is against him. many high profile figures in his own party do nothing but criticize his every move.

Take a look at what the dems do every time one of their candidates says something stupid. They circle the wagons, and protect at all costs. Look at the idiot Lizzy Warren. Somehow this old, lying hag is STILL considered a legitimate candidate and might actually win the Senate seat, after lying about being a minority and being caught red handed. Now compare to how we handled the Akin thing. Conservatives were out for blood, we cut off money to him, and now he’s going to lose big time.

Obama can do and say whatever he wants. If he drowned a bag of stray kittens on stage at the debates, liberals would praise his propensity for mercy, the poor creatures were doomed from the start! Praise lord Obama and his eternal wisdom!

But Todd Akin says some dumb sh*t and we excommunicate from the GOP him without a second thought. Mitt Romney has managed to stay extremely competitive with the Media’s own personal Jesus. A tape gets out of him telling the TRUTH and his poll numbers take a dive. What’s the “conservative” commentators response? Write him off, whine, complain and settle for 4 more years of hell. Take a queue from the Democrats and help our candidates out, especially when they are facing almost overwhelming odds.

1984 in real life on September 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Conservative4ev on September 26, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Dole McCain Ford comment? Don’t believe I’ve heard that. What was it?

bgibbs1000 on September 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Mitt…….another graceful loser…..in the great tradition of Ford, Dole and McCain.

PappyD61 on September 26, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Conservative4ev on September 26, 2012 at 8:47 PM

1984 in real life on September 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Well with ads of Obama cares about the poor and he’s a nice guy comments what do you want us to do. The debates will be worse not only will Obama walk unscathed in them because he’ s not a conservative and Romney won’t attack him, but be ready for Romney to tell everyone how caring a father Obama is while Obama rips him for helping the wealthy and out of touch. It’s going to be a hoot

Conservative4ev on September 26, 2012 at 8:50 PM

1984 in real life on September 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Conservative4ev on September 26, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Yep, Romney was nominated as a “don’t scare the horses” candidate. Now that he’s not only not “scaring” them, but actively putting them to sleep, you see establishment Rombots like Jennifer Rubin screaming and crying about it like scalded rats. What did they expect?

ebrown2 on September 26, 2012 at 8:58 PM

1984 in real life on September 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Conservative4ev on September 26, 2012 at 8:50 PM

What line of attack should Mitt use then? Do you have any contact IRL with politically out of touch people? This ad is clearly targeted at the low info crowd and those people don’t respond to red meat.

Most of my friends are clueless when it comes to politics. Whenever I mention that Obama’s policies are more in line with the Communist Manifesto than the Constitution, They just laugh and say “He’s doing alright, Bush was worse” It’s very hard to persuade these people and these people are who Romney needs to persuade. Most people, whether you like it or not, for reasons unknown to me think Obama is a pretty darn cool guy. They will get defensive of him if you rip him a new one but they are open to hearing about how incompetent his policies have been.

Mitt has been using this strategy from the beginning, I still think it’s a winning strategy and I’m not about to let a bunch of mouth breathing media D+19 polls convince me that Mitt needs to go ultra negative. I’d like for him to be negative, I just think it won’t work.

1984 in real life on September 26, 2012 at 9:01 PM

bayview on September 26, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Conservative4ev on September 26, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Aye. The truth is, head to head, same degree, same job, same length at the job, same experience in field, -women are making more than men. That’s because employers are terrified of discrimination lawsuits.

If what Jackass is saying is true, those women would be winning lawsuits all over the country. They aren’t because on a case by case basis there is not significant discrimination.

slickwillie2001 on September 26, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Like Mitt talking directly to the camera. As an educated voter, not sold on the theory BO “cares about the poor”.

Buy Danish on September 26, 2012 at 9:50 PM

1984 in real life on September 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM

There really are a lot of eeyores and quitters here, aren’t there.
It’s a cinch that – should worse come to worse – you’ll never be able to count on them manning the ramparts beside you, either.

(btw; Akin is going to win here in Missouri.)

Solaratov on September 26, 2012 at 10:10 PM

So, are they actually going to air these, or is this just mental masturbation?

I haven’t seen a Romney ad in at least three weeks, but see an Obama ad at least once a night here in Ohio.

dominigan on September 26, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Ann Romney on Greta – her first segment was sensational – cut her a 30-second ad talking to women asap – she got the message across perfectly – nothing will improve for anyone if we do not make a change in president

If MSM or liberals complain, we get a bonus circulation and they walk right into Hillary Rosen territory.

Plus, do you think the Dems are dumb enough to cut a Michelle commerical?

matthew8787 on September 26, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Ive seen no Romney ads in Ohio. none, zilch. Every sporting event is loaded with Obama ads. None from romney.

Could we get a cot damned explanation where all the ad money is going?

rickyricardo on September 26, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Just as I suspected, these beta males (newtopia, Steveangell and Flapjackmaka) are running away from standing up to their beliefs.

Steveangell with a Rodney Kingesque “Can’t we all just get along” and newtopia with the classic liberal battle cry “What’s in it for me?”

But Flapjackmaka provides us with the masterpiece of an answer I’ll title “Uh huh sure”

Bottom line is that these clowns don’t believe for a second the garbage they’re spouting here. If they really believed that Romney can’t win then the bet would be a slam dunk for them. But they don’t believe that, they like to whine and cry about the Republican candidate but they are unsure of themselves and the validity of their talking points.

This is how easily you can force them to show their true colors. They love to mouth off at length but they don’t buy the potion they’re selling. That’s so attractive.

Now, bgibbs1000 might surprise us all and actually back up his belief and put his money where his mouth is but I won’t hold my breath. He’ll either not answer at all or give us yet another gem of a response where he’ll explain why he doesn’t trust his own opinion.

Everyone, please take this into consideration when you assign any value to their future comments on any subject.

NapaConservative on September 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM