Quotes of the day

posted at 10:44 pm on September 26, 2012 by Allahpundit

Dean Chambers, founder of unskewedpolls.com, is expanding his empire after receiving calls of encouragement from Republicans this week.

Since his website caught fire this week for ‘unskewing’ presidential polls — Chambers re-weights national polling data on the assumption that more Republicans will vote than poll results show — the blogger has purchased two additional domain names: unskewedpolitics.com and unskewedmedia.com.

The websites will “essentially unskew the bias present in political events and media coverage of political events,” Chambers told BuzzFeed. “And not only will I continue with the [polling] project, I’ll be growing it too,” he said.

***

The latest New York Times/CBS/Quinnipiac Poll shows Barack Obama trouncing Mitt Romney by 9 percentage points – 53 percent to 44. But is there a single objective political professional in Florida who actually believes Obama is leading by 9 points? In Florida?! Maybe I’ll eat my words on Nov. 6, but I loudly echo Florida GOP Chairman Lenny Curry’s sentiments on Twitter earlier today: “If you believe this mornings Fl Q poll I have swamp land to sell you. Come on man! This is Florida.”

So this brings us back to a complaint we’ve heard constantly from Florida political consultants on both sides of the aisle: Too many polls are based on an assumed electorate that has zero chance of occuring and therefore give a flawed view of the political landscape.

***

[HUGH HEWITT]: Michael, the reason I called is the latest round of Quinnipiac polls for the New York Times shows Barack Obama with big leads in Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida. But it also shows a sample of plus nine Democrats in a turnout model for Ohio and Florida, and plus eleven Democrats in Pennsylvania. How do you assess the predictive validity of these polls?

[MICHAEL BARONE]: Well, I think, you know, I think there’s some serious questions about them. You know, we have to put this in context, Hugh. There’s some real problems with public opinion polling as an instrument. First of all, it’s inherently inexact. You know, random selection theory tells you that there’s an error margin, and that one out of twenty polls is outside that error margin. So let’s always keep that in mind. Second, there are low response rates now, which are a real problem. The PewResearchCenter reports that only 9% of the people that it calls are responding to polls. That’s way down from historic levels, and it raises the question are those people representative of the population as a whole that they’re trying to sample? You know, one thing that polls can’t tell you is the characteristics of people who won’t be polled. So that raises some serious questions. Are we getting skewed samples? We know from the exit poll phenomenon over the last many cycles that the exit poll results tend to come in more Democratic than the actual vote does, and measured at the same precincts. So there’s a question there. And third, we have an increasing population of cell phone only individuals, or households, who are probably tend to be younger, and probably in this election more Democratic than the population as a whole. Pollsters cannot use robocalls to call these people. They have to make expensive calls to cell phone exchanges, hand dialed, and this poses a real problem for public opinion pollsters. It’s more expensive. How many cell phone only people do you call? If those, if that population is, as the pollsters believe, significantly more Democratic, the decision on how many you call is going to affect the outcome of your poll. So and the fact is that we don’t know, because we’ve had an increase in the cell phone only population, what percentage of the voters they will turn out to be. So those are three problems that the pollsters face. Having said all that, looking at, for example, these Quinnipiac results, as you note, we see that they are more Democratic now than went Democratic in the 2010 electorate, which nationally was 35% Democratic, 35% Republican in party identification, but more Democratic than the 2008 electorate, which was 39% Democratic, 32% Republican by party ID. That’s out of line with what most political observers would have expected the outcome to be this year. Up until the Democratic convention, polling showed a consistently higher degree of enthusiasm, significantly higher, among people identifying as Republicans than among people identifying as Democrats. That gap has diminished, and I think I’ve seen one Gallup poll that said that self-identified Democrats actually expressing more enthusiasm after the Democratic convention. So it’s possible that we, you know, that Democrats are more likely to pass through the screens as likely voters or registered voters, or people interested in voting through the pollsters’ screens than they were prior to the Democratic convention. But we’ve seen these kind of polls all along, and they’re, you know, I think that you want to look at them with an asterisk in mind.

***

RUSH: I think we’re beating them in early voting. I think we’re beating them in absentee. I think our people can’t wait to show up. I’ll tell you, there’s another segment out there that nobody will ever poll, at least not the Gallups and the CNN’s and the New York Times and all that. There are a lot of people out there who are not happy at all over the encroachment on their religious freedom. There are a lot of people who do not like Obama telling the Catholic Church where to go and to get off doing that and so forth.

They do not like that. They’re never gonna be polled, but I will guarantee you (call ‘em the Values Voters) they are sitting out there and they, too, want to vote. They are chomping at the bit waiting to get to the polls. So I don’t think the suppression effort is going to work. However, the reason I spent time today addressing this and the reason I decided to is because there’s genuine fear that others will sit home.

I hear from people, friends of mine. “Oh, gosh, Rush! Do you see this? I’m worried our people aren’t gonna show up.” Nobody is worried about themselves. Nobody tells me, “I’ve had it! I’m fed up. Screw Romney. Screw Ryan. Screw voting.” Nobody’s telling me that. They’re still saying, “Screw Obama. To hell with Obama.” But they’re worried that people they don’t know are gonna be affected by it and will sit home.

***

On the same day that polls in two key battleground states — Ohio and Florida — showed President Obama growing his lead over Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential candidate acknowledged that he is “pleased with some polls, less so with other polls.”

“Frankly at this early stage, polls go up, polls go down,” Romney said in an interview on Wednesday with ABC’s David Muir on the campaign trail in Toledo, Ohio…

“I’m tied in the national polls, both Gallup and Rasmussen have the numbers at even,” he told ABC News. “State by state you’ve got some advertising going on from the Obama people , which expresses their views on my positions which frankly, I think are inaccurate, and in some cases, dishonest.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

As the daughter of a paraplegic who built his own marine salvage business after he was hurt, you can imagine I don’t accept “can’t” on a very low standard.

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 8:41 AM

With a “formal” seventh grade education I will add. Sorry Mr. Rywall but I have seen extraordinary, so accepting less is hard for me.

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Honest question, how do you think this country was developed before government “safety nets” came into existence?

Flora Duh on September 27, 2012 at 8:45 AM
——
The same way as every other country.
Difference is, other countries adopted many helpful social safety net things that advanced their societies.
Your world-leading prison population is a direct result of your sink or swim mentality.

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Do you think they are attempting to become millionaires? How about self sufficient? Do I think rich people shouldn’t be given some of the things they get, sure. I’d say the biggest down fall is the automatic admittance into schools and jobs based on legacy rather than actual achievement. In the past when a descendent took over a business and was unqualified the business would fold, now it can get propped up by which ever government entity can be bought. The taxpayers should not be footing the bill.

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Don’t touch my mothers mustache…

SWalker on September 27, 2012 at 12:57 AM

hahaha I remember that ….. Okinawa and Kami-seya … good times ….

conservative tarheel on September 27, 2012 at 8:59 AM

When I see these I convince myself that they edited out hundreds of people who knew they answers.

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Europeans, Canadians and Australians love to watch videos that show Americans being stupid. They live in our shadow throughout most of their lives, so it’s nice for them to be able have the chance to delude themselves into feeling superior for a few minutes.

Let me just point out that, as someone who has lived in several countries, I know that Americans are BY FAR the nicest and most generous. Hands down. No contest. The Germans are terrific, as well. The worst? Canadians, especially in Toronto. Toronto natives are some of the coldest, most passive aggressive little turdish trolls with chips on their shoulders you will ever meet. (If you want to make them mad, just mention how much better something is in the U.S.) Toronto is a pointless, ugly city with second-rate amenities, boring, angry, jealous little people and shops and restaurants with the worst customer service on the planet. Just thought I’d share.

bluegill on September 27, 2012 at 8:59 AM

The same way as every other country.

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I disagree. Our prison population is in large part due to our “give me what I want (or think I deserve) and if you don’t, I’m going to take it from you anyway” mentality.

Flora Duh on September 27, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Meh… He probably just gave it a good smack with a spanner… ;p

SWalker on September 27, 2012 at 1:40 AM

hey that usually works … :D

I still remember TTY tape … and having to read it ….. shesh

conservative tarheel on September 27, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I think you underestimate how much is out here available for someone to get the foundations for a successful life. You can lead a horse to water……..

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 9:03 AM

bluegill on September 27, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I am sure Mr. Rywall appreciates it.

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 9:04 AM

bluegill on September 27, 2012 at 8:59 AM
——–
So when Jay Leno demonstrates that adult Americans can’t find the country they’re at war with on a map that means what?

So when Fox news demonstrates time and time again that they don’t know which country is where, that means what?

The rest of the world lives in your shadow? Talk about a bloated sense of self worth.

Your second paragraph is meaningless/pointless/irrelevant, but thanks fro sharing.

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 8:51 AM
———
You recognize that you’ve experienced extraordinary circumstances yet you can’t get beyond that and objectively assess people on the bottom with enormous challenges to crawl out of the gutter? Oh well. I guess that’s the end of that.

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 9:12 AM

“The trouble with socialism is that sooner or later you run out of other people’s money.”

Flora Duh on September 27, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Your extraordinary circumstances notwithstanding, people at the bottom making a successful go of it are faced with far far huger challenges than everybody in tax brackets above them. Suck it up and try harder, some day you’ll be a millionaire is an extremely naive, disrespectful, uninformed and unhelpful position.

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM

most of us are not trying to be millionaires … we balance work/home
and get to a place where both needs are met …. we sacrifice some short term
pleasure for long term gain …. to get to where we want to be …. and then we enjoy ….

conservative tarheel on September 27, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 9:12 AM

If there were no one willing to help, you would be right but that isn’t the case. The pretty standard prescription for reaching the middle class in the United States is to complete high school and don’t have any children until you marry. So which is too tough, those things to get to the middle class or wanting to be a millionaire. I worked in an alternative middle school and everyone one of the males in my class was going to be in the NBA or a rap star and they don’t need school for that.

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Flora Duh on September 27, 2012 at 9:00 AM

having worked in NCDOC for 10 years … that is it ….
of course sex perverts and drug dealers make up a good part of what is left ….

conservative tarheel on September 27, 2012 at 9:27 AM

bluegill on September 27, 2012 at 8:59 AM

bluegill I will take your word for it … but they would have to be really bad to be worse then the French …..

conservative tarheel on September 27, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Lazy like water.

Bmore on September 27, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Flora Duh on September 27, 2012 at 9:00 AM
———-

“give me what I want (or think I deserve) and if you don’t, I’m going to take it from you anyway” is a byproduct of being on the bottom and not seeing anybody giving a sh*t about you/not seeing opportunity/not being shown opportunity/not getting support from institutions (schools, job training programs, community outreach programs, etc). Desperation is a powerful motivator.

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Yeah, because taking someone’s life so you can take the latest and greatest tennis shoes off their feet will help give someone a leg up.

Unless of course, you think that person sells those shoes and gives the money to the poor.

Flora Duh on September 27, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Flora Duh on September 27, 2012 at 10:01 AM
———-
No, it means someone feels like a piece of sh*t because they can’t get a leg up so they say f it I’m going to start taking. Not an overly complicated concept.

How come your murder rate is so high?
How come ours is so low?
Our incerceration rate: .13%
Yours: .7%
Our child poverty rate: 13.3
yours: 23.1
Why is that?

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 9:56 AM

btw Dave, how much money have you donated this year to organizations that helps those you claim to have so much empathy for?

United Negro College Fund?

Boys & Girls Clubs?

YMCA?

Inner-City Scholarship Fund?

Habitat for Humanity?

Flora Duh on September 27, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 9:56 AM

United Ne gro College Fund?

Boys & Girls Clubs?

YMCA?

Inner-City Scholarship Fund?

Habitat for Humanity?

Flora Duh on September 27, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 9:10 AM

That our liberal education system sucks. Tell us something we don’t know. We’re trying to change that. What’s your excuse?

dominigan on September 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Flora Duh on September 27, 2012 at 10:17 AM

crickets ……. crickets ………all I hear is crickets …….

conservative tarheel on September 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 9:56 AM

And most of those people live within liberal run city with a liberal education system, that advocates a liberal worldview of victim mentality. If we could get rid of all this liberal worldview crap that keeps getting taught… that someone just needs “to give you an opportunity” instead of teaching them that they need “to search out their own opportunity”, our country would be a much better place!

We continue to sink more and more government dollars into training programs and community outreach, and nothing changes. Maybe we need to start teaching that they need to seek and pursue their own success because it will never be handed to them.

dominigan on September 27, 2012 at 10:26 AM

The fact is the population of this country has been so dumbed down that any charlatan offering minimal “free stuff” from the government could march everyone of them off the edge of a cliff.

rplat on September 27, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 10:09 AM

One last bit of interesting data is that despite the higher amount of government subsidized education in Canada, the USA has almost a 5% greater graduation rate. This can be attributed to the much higher amount of private bursaries and scholarships that can be found in the USA compared with Canada. Source

Flora Duh on September 27, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Dave Rywall

No country in the history of the planet has more opportunities for upward mobility than the U.S. How many people who aren’t sport stars celebrities, or politicians manage to work their way up the ladder to prosperity in the U.K. with its rigid class system?

Why is it that men like Robin Leach, the Golf Channel’s Feherty, Daniel Hannan, Stuart Varney, Mark Steyn and so many more sing the praises of the U.S. and desperately fear for its demise?

how many people are trying to get in the U.K. – other than Muslim immigrants or others who are paid handsomely to be on the public dole to make up for its population losses? How about elsewhere in Europe – other than refugees fleeing places like N. Africa thanks to the Arab Spring?

Buy Danish on September 27, 2012 at 10:39 AM

United Negro College Fund?

Boys & Girls Clubs?

YMCA?

Inner-City Scholarship Fund?

Habitat for Humanity?

Flora Duh on September 27, 2012 at 10:16 AM
——-
I make charitable contributions, yes. I also pay an enormous amount of income tax, property tax and sales tax to help pay for countless things for my fellow citizens who are less fortunate than me. You do not pay as much into things that help the poor as I do. The end.

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I’ve seen it, too.

My grandmother, with a third grade education, worked as a cook in a Northern logging camp after her family left Kentucky. Grampa was a moonshiner and not around much. She peeled bark from birch trees to make extra money to buy shoes for her children to wear to school. My dad would hitch on the back of a logging truck to get to school. My grandmother bought a small farm near a lake. Grampa came back and started farming.

They built some cabins near the lake and started renting them out. Gramma kept the books. With that money they bought more land. They were quite well-to-do when they retired but kept a large working garden her whole life. Two sons served in WWII and one served in Korea. All came back. Six of her seven children went to college, of those, three received master’s degree, one a doctorate. The one who didn’t go to college started a plumbing company, worked hard and did quite well.

As a child, I was expected to sweep out the cabins, change and wash the linens. When visiting, grandsons and granddaughters were expected to hunt and fish to add meat to the table. Gramma swore like a sailor and despite being five foot nothing, no one messed with her. She excepted nothing but the best out of everyone around her. No one was allowed to sit around unless it was after supper when she served a homemade pie or cobbler.

Brokaw called her children the “greatest generation” but Gramma’s generation raised them.

Fallon on September 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM

crickets ……. crickets ………all I hear is crickets …….

conservative tarheel on September 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Two of my grandsons attend the Boys and Girls Club. Their parents own a restaurant. Yeah, they’re two of those selfish, greedy capitalists that Rywall is so bitter against.

Guess who donates hot meals to the kids at that club – and did so even before their own kids started attending?

It sure as hell isn’t Rywall.

Flora Duh on September 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM

You do not pay as much into things that help the poor as I do. The end.

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 10:51 AM

How can you say “the end”. You have absolutely no idea what anyone pays to charities that do a dang sight better job of helping the poor sans a huge administrative payroll and regulations. And then there a families. Or there use to be. Think about all the care it takes to keep a paraplegic healthy for for 33 years and know that I called her Mom. You have no idea what most Americans do or whether you pay more than they.

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Fallon on September 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM

And those are lessons you won’t forget.

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Great stories Cindy, Fallon, Flora.

My immigrant grandparents started with nothing and built themselves up and built small businesses working 7 days a week,bought homes, raised their families with full love and support and values. All their children were educated and we have have doctors,lawyers and other professionals in the family.
It was the greatest gen. Fallon, I would loved your grandma. :)

Cindy- what a great story about your father. wow.

Thank you for sharing.

bazil9 on September 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Far be it from me to advise the lovely Fl. Ladies of HA, but Rywall is a liar and a coward. A complete waste and an apologist for a failed philosophy. ; )

Bmore on September 27, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Oh, and my lovely friend to the North. ; )

Bmore on September 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Bmore on September 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Hello B! How are you today?

thatsafactjack on September 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM

bazil9 on September 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I am sure that there are stories equal to our in Canada, I think the difference is that Mr. Rywall believes that the government take over of all these things is an improvement. That’s just sad and I hate that it is becoming the prevailing sentiment here.

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Bmore on September 27, 2012 at 12:40 PM

You know us, we’d argue with a fence post.

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM

You do not pay as much into things that help the poor as I do. The end.

Dave Rywall on September 27, 2012 at 10:51 AM

LOL ok, if you say so little boy.

Flora Duh on September 27, 2012 at 1:06 PM

You know us, we’d argue with a fence post.

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM

And the fence post makes more sense than you know who.

Flora Duh on September 27, 2012 at 1:12 PM

She excepted expected nothing but the best out of everyone around her.

Fallon on September 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Arrrgh! Damn spoonerism-ish stuff I do.

She was exceptional. lol

Late, late, late…

Hi Bmore! And, of course Cindy, Flora and bazil9.

I’m watching the grandbaby today and sometimes forget to check back on the threads.

Fallon on September 27, 2012 at 2:05 PM

You know us, we’d argue with a fence post.

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM

And the fence post makes more sense than you know who.

Flora Duh on September 27, 2012 at 1:12 PM

thank you I needed a laugh ….. this Canadian heh ….
good to see everyone … just finishing up lunch …
fried trout and fresh fried shrimp …… hmmmmm

might surprise the wife and make dinner …..

conservative tarheel on September 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM

got the bathrooms cleaned … kitchen is done …. cut the grass and edged ….
looking around to do something else …. got a couple of other things but
wanna be done in 2 hours and they will take longer then that so will do those
another day …..

conservative tarheel on September 27, 2012 at 2:17 PM

conservative tarheel on September 27, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Slacker!! ////////////////

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM

we are a team … I work nights … was off Wednesday and Thursday …
so when I awakened Wed. (slept from 800am till noon) I made lunch
and did dishes and put everything away … then got ready for church …

so today I got to do a bunch of stuff and surprise her … she is a 1st grade
school teacher … so she is beat when she gets home …. I like helping ….
it has some rewards ;-)

conservative tarheel on September 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM

conservative tarheel on September 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM

We did that opposite schedule for a while in the beginning. It’s tough. I bet a first grade teacher loves to hear an adult talk or maybe just quiet, either way you have it covered.

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Mom says hello. ; )

Bmore on September 27, 2012 at 4:33 PM

This pig’s STILL goin???

WTF???

Lanceman on September 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Bmore on September 27, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Hello back and belated many happy returns!!!

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Lanceman on September 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM

So, are you going to come to the Florida Hot Air get together if it happens?

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 4:54 PM

So, are you going to come to the Florida Hot Air get together if it happens?

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Sure. Why not. Long as it ain’t in Escambia or something like that.

Lanceman on September 27, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Lanceman on September 27, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I was thinking around the middle.

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I was thinking around the middle.

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2012 at 5:09 PM